Open thread: Hey, who’s up for an hour-long lecture on “fairness”? Update: Full text added; Update: Text of Daniels’s rebuttal added

posted at 8:25 pm on January 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

9 p.m. ET all across the dial. I promise you this: No matter how bad you think this will be, it’ll be even worse. Don’t believe me? Go read Matt Welch’s Frankenstein State of the Union, stitched together from the remains of more than five decades of SOTU addresses. Ninety percent of these speeches is boilerplate that gets repeated by Democratic and Republican presidents alike year after tedious year. The only reason to watch is that other 10 percent.

And I think you can guess what that’ll be about.

“We can either settle for a country where a shrinking number of people do really well, while a growing number of Americans barely get by,” Mr. Obama says in brief excerpts of the speech released by the White House on Tuesday evening. “Or we can restore an economy where everyone gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share and everyone plays by the same set of rules.”

By putting a significant accent on taxes, where his differences with Congressional Republicans have always been pronounced, Mr. Obama renews the pressure on them to extend once again a temporary payroll tax break for most working Americans — and also amplifies the attention that has been focused all week on the wealth of Mitt Romney, one of his leading challengers, who has disclosed that he pays less than 15 percent on income of more than $20 million a year.

For weeks, Mr. Obama and his aides have been signaling that the theme of Tuesday’s speech, scheduled to begin at 9 p.m. Eastern Time, would be that the richest Americans should shoulder more of the nation’s tax burden, that the middle class should have a shot at prosperity and that the disadvantaged should be provided social scaffolding to help them climb upward.

In case you’re a prominent Democrat and that’s too complicated for you to follow, the White House also issued a set of talking points for the speech today. Meanwhile, Warren Buffett’s secretary will be onhand for the obligatory Skutnik moment when he calls for a new “Buffett Rule” on taxes (soon to become the “Romney Rule” if Mitt is the nominee). The Buffett Rule won’t fix entitlements and it won’t erase our deficits, but it might get The One re-elected — it’s popular, after all — and of course that’s what really matters. (His own top economic advisors warned him long ago that our current deficits are unsustainable, but oh well.) Apparently he’s also planning to say “I intend to fight obstruction with action” to show that he’s a can-do man of action, so if you liked those unconstitutional recess appointments earlier this month, good news: There may be more illegal power grabs to come.

Meanwhile, via Boehner’s office, a few snippets from Mitch Daniels’s rebuttal:

The extremism that stifles the development of homegrown energy, or cancels a perfectly safe pipeline that would employ tens of thousands, or jacks up consumer utility bills for no improvement in either human health or world temperature, is a pro-poverty policy. It must be replaced by a passionate pro-growth approach that breaks all ties and calls all close ones in favor of private sector jobs that restore opportunity for all and generate the public revenues to pay our bills…

It’s not fair and it’s not true for the President to attack Republicans in Congress as obstacles on these questions. They and they alone have passed bills to reduce borrowing, reform entitlements, and encourage new job creation, only to be shot down nearly time and again by the President and his Democrat Senate allies…

No feature of the Obama Presidency has been sadder than its constant efforts to divide us, to curry favor with some Americans by castigating others. As in previous moments of national danger, we Americans are all in the same boat. If we drift, quarreling and paralyzed, over a Niagara of debt, we will all suffer, regardless of income, race, gender, or other category. If we fail to shift to a pro-jobs, pro-growth economic policy, there will never be enough public revenue to pay for our safety net, national security, or whatever size government we decide to have.

Let the Daniels 2012 speculation begin! Here’s your handy dandy Hot Air/Townhall widget for livetweeting plus a sneak preview of tonight’s address that was released a few days ago — by Obama’s campaign, not by the White House. Like Krauthammer says, “This is all about reelection. This is not a State of the Union, it’s the state of the presidency.” Exit question: Will he attack the Supreme Court again tonight or is it some other group’s turn to be demagogued?

Update: National Journal has the text of O’s speech as prepared for delivery. Key bit:

Tax reform should follow the Buffett rule: If you make more than $1 million a year, you should not pay less than 30 percent in taxes. And my Republican friend Tom Coburn is right: Washington should stop subsidizing millionaires. In fact, if you’re earning a million dollars a year, you shouldn’t get special tax subsidies or deductions. On the other hand, if you make under $250,000 a year, like 98 percent of American families, your taxes shouldn’t go up. You’re the ones struggling with rising costs and stagnant wages. You’re the ones who need relief.

Now, you can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense.

We don’t begrudge financial success in this country. We admire it. When Americans talk about folks like me paying my fair share of taxes, it’s not because they envy the rich. It’s because they understand that when I get tax breaks I don’t need and the country can’t afford, it either adds to the deficit, or somebody else has to make up the difference – like a senior on a fixed income; or a student trying to get through school; or a family trying to make ends meet. That’s not right. Americans know it’s not right. They know that this generation’s success is only possible because past generations felt a responsibility to each other, and to their country’s future, and they know our way of life will only endure if we feel that same sense of shared responsibility. That’s how we’ll reduce our deficit. That’s an America built to last.

Update: And here’s Daniels’s rebuttal, again as prepared for delivery.

A second view, which I admit some Republicans also seem to hold, is that we Americans are no longer up to the job of self-government. We can’t do the simple math that proves the unaffordability of today’s safety net programs, or all the government we now have. We will fall for the con job that says we can just plow ahead and someone else will pick up the tab. We will allow ourselves to be pitted one against the other, blaming our neighbor for troubles worldwide trends or our own government has caused.

2012 must be the year we prove the doubters wrong. The year we strike out boldly not merely to avert national bankruptcy but to say to a new generation that America is still the world’s premier land of opportunity. Republicans will speak for those who believe in the dignity and capacity of the individual citizen; who believe that government is meant to serve the people rather than supervise them; who trust Americans enough to tell them the plain truth about the fix we are in, and to lay before them a specific, credible program of change big enough to meet the emergency we are facing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 20 21 22

Can’t stand to listen, even to reruns. Lying Marxist POS.

petefrt on January 25, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Yes, ALT I’m from there too. Common pain.

WryTrvllr on January 25, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Don’t let the bed bugs bite

SparkPlug on January 25, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Rubio defends Romney.

Or he is a God damn RINO Gingbots?

ConservativeLaw on January 24, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I love how the moderates always use this gimmick against conservatives. If some politician perceived to be seen as a conservative comes out and defends or endorse Romney, it’s supposed mean Romney’s a conservative. It’s like his record in Mass doesn’t exist and voters can’t think for themselves.

Dr. Tesla on January 25, 2012 at 1:08 AM

No…seriously…everyone look.

Look back and see how that dude changed the subject.

NEVER let them dictate the rule of the game. Then they’ve won. (and yes, I almost did)

WryTrvllr on January 25, 2012 at 1:08 AM

liberal4life
BedBug

Here you observe the essence of leftist polemics, folks:
Reflexive,shallow,uninformed, middle school level taunts.
Incandescent examples of the Obama constituency.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Trying to talk to a modern liberal is a waste of time. Check the last hour of BedBug’s rants.

Gladtobehere on January 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Dr. T

I leave it in your capable hands. Do you ever sleep?

WryTrvllr on January 25, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 25, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Yep. You nailed it.

SparkPlug on January 25, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I think Sen. Rubio is a the real deal conservative but I want to know for sure. I hope he’s not another go along to get along party guy.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Can’t stand to listen, even to reruns. Lying Marxist POS.

petefrt on January 25, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Second that Pete…

mr_west on January 25, 2012 at 2:39 AM

The only encouraging aspect to this circus was that on Hannity, Frank Luntz had his focus group. The consensus was that it was a uninspiring, same old, pointing fingers speech, which everyone had little or no expectations exceeded.

Except some twerp who regurgitated how OBL was killed and the great one created 3.1 million jobs talking points..

mr_west on January 25, 2012 at 2:58 AM

In the future they will sell tapes of Mitch Daniels as sleeping aids.

HerneTheHunter on January 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I’m pretty sure that was on the wrong thread.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 3:10 AM

what? Was there a speech tonight?

I missed it. I was sleeping.

Well, on second thought… I wouldn’t exactly say I missed it.

JohnGalt23 on January 25, 2012 at 6:07 AM

I got back late from a dealership last night right in the middle of el presidente’s pep talk. I hope the dealership which was able to sell a grand total of one vehicle the entire day was listening in.

hawkdriver on January 25, 2012 at 6:51 AM

i did not watch BO,s LAST SOTU .. But 1 thing ..If we all are to be treated equal .. I want no demand a personal exemption from Obamacare .. I want no demand a higher salary ..I want no demand a kickback from the admistrations attempts to pick and choose winneres … He is a LOSER and LIAR

Cincy Conservative on January 25, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I didn’t watch the POSOTUS Lie-A-Thon last night, I had a much more productive and enjoyable time at the gun range.

insidiator on January 25, 2012 at 7:43 AM

I chose to enjoy watch UK spank the Univ of Georgia instead of listening to Obama’s speech.

Bradky on January 25, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I know Mitch Daniels is a great guy but we really need someone who can speak with at least a spark of passion about the conservative philosophy- from what I saw last night, he’s not it.

kg598301 on January 25, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Anyone else notice the coordinated Media/Dem hit hit job and “ready” responses 2 seconds after Obama spoke???

The SOTU was sooo bad – its being spun as “good/great/best speech ever”… etc etc. And that just elected and appointed Dem schills.

Yahoo has this gem on their News headlines “Yahoo Readers Respond: 62% Think Obama Made his case”

When a bumbling news aggregator, who loses market share ever second of the day – is using “polls” by readers… as front page “news”

Just like 2007-2008 – when the media ran cover for the Worst President in American History.

Odie1941 on January 25, 2012 at 8:39 AM

“We don’t begrudge financial success in this country. We admire it. When Americans talk about folks like me paying my fair share of taxes, it’s not because they envy the rich.” – B. Hussein Obama, Teleprompter-in-Chief

That is priceless. That man-child couldn’t ooze more hypocrisy if he tried.
And how much did King Barack the Growth-Slayer give to charity?
Biden?
If ChicagØbama and his cronies pay minimal income taxes, but want the rest of us to pay more, they are free to give as much to the Treasury as they desire.
In other words = Ø

“Let them eat cake”, eh? I got your “cake” right here, Barry Ø.
I haven’t been this disgusted with a POTUS since LBJ. And that’s saying alot!

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 25, 2012 at 8:39 AM

kg598301 on January 25, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Amazing that Daniels is the GOP “second, third, fourth choice…

Actually its not, considering the stiffs they are and represent.

Odie1941 on January 25, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I purposely didn’t watch the speech last night, a rerun of L&O:SVU was much more edifying. Nor have I had the stomach to wade through over 2000 comments. But I did get to listen to two short clips this morning on the way in to work, and it seemed to me that Zero was angry. In both he was scolding us for problems that are mostly of his or his party’s own making. I don’t recall past presidents using the SOTU speech to berate the entire country. As usual with this incompetent, even ignoring the content of the speech, the delivery was completely inappropriate for the venue.

LibraryGryffon on January 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM

test

ProudPalinFan on January 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Wow didn’t pass the smell test…

I didn’t watch either, but I tried to watch Daniel’s response and it was too long, too “flat” and I absolutely lost my attention. I stopped the video and closed the window.

That’s what the establishment wants-an obscure candidate that has no passion whatsoever, does not engage the crowds, when he speaks he does not catch the attention of Americans even if he’s speaking the truth and tries to fish the independents and undecideds–as if they need to be wowed one way or the other.

I bet some are waiting for us to clean up the dirt in the GOP establishment and polish what Obama and Pelosi are attacking from both ends; Gingrich and Romney, the “front runners”.

Only for that reason if I was a Floridian I’d vote for Ron Paul-not because I am for his foreign policy but because I want a win for each of them and throw this in a worse tizzy.

Ed will write today about the brokered convention and I suggested something yesterday on his web show-let’s see if with his expertise he can bring up a case for and against; after all, we must support the #hotairdebate via Twitter.

ProudPalinFan on January 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM

mr_west on January 25, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Excuse me, but I am the only genuine twerp. All the others are frauds.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM

In the future they will sell tapes of Mitch Daniels as sleeping aids.

HerneTheHunter on January 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM

He’d be a good Veep, though, if McDonnell doesn’t get tapped for the job.

hawksruleva on January 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I just couldn’t watch it. I tried but it was dryer than a toasted sand sandwich. Painful, absolutely brutal, pulling teeth, aaauuuggghhh…..

buckeyerich on January 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM

My personal favorite post of all these pages:

You can’t march up the stairs into darkness unless someone is watching your back? WTF does that mean?

Ronnie on January 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I truly did have a bit of screen spittle to wipe off.

golfmann on January 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM

So tired of this guy’s gas. Same old socialist rant with little more inflection. Would you buy a car from him?

StevC on January 25, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Excuse me, but I am the only genuine twerp. All the others are frauds.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM

My Deepest apologies for using the term so willy-nilly.

mr_west on January 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Ah ALT, your twerpness knows no bounds!

MJScanlonOH on January 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM