Video: White House sides with TSA in Rand Paul patdown

posted at 6:10 pm on January 23, 2012 by Allahpundit

The worst part of this is Jay Carney’s vaguely creepy insistence on using bureaucracy lingo in referring to Paul throughout as “the passenger.” That’s actually a nifty reflection of TSA’s philosophy of treating fliers equally badly so long as they’re treated equally. We’re all random passengers, none of us any more or less a security risk than anyone else. If someone flying in from Saudi Arabia has to submit to a patdown because he set off the scanner, than darn it, a U.S. senator on his way to speak at a rally on the Mall has to submit too. (The perfect cover story for a hijacking plot.) One of these days Janet Napolitano is going to get detained in a TSA snafu and then at last we’ll have achieved the perfect security-theater clusterfark.

Contrary to Carney’s talking points, Paul says he was in fact detained:

“If you’re told you can’t leave, does that count as detention?” Paul asked.

“I tried to leave the cubicle to speak to one of the TSA people and I was barked at: ‘Do not leave the cubicle!’ So, that, to me sounds like I’m being asked not to leave the cubicle. It sounds a little bit like I’m being detained.”…

“But, they’re wasting time, I think, by doing this. Instead of targeting people who meet a risk profile for terrorism, what they’re doing is they’re just doing these random things. But, I think it’s a waste of time and it’s insulting to put people through a body pat down when they have not shown any risk.”

He offered to go back through the scanner to prove that the “anomaly” that showed up the first time wasn’t really there, which TSA finally agreed to — after two hours of arguing. Ah well: If you support creating a “trusted traveler” program, this screw-up is the best PR you’ll ever have short of, say, Oprah getting arrested for trying to carry shampoo on in an overhead bag. (I know, I know, Oprah doesn’t fly commercial.) Exit question: Is detaining Rand Paul while on his way to Washington unconstitutional?

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This is an excellent opportunity for the candidates to sound off on the whole TSA insanity.

whatcat on January 23, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Screenings and security MUST be privatized. Either the airports or the individual airlines MUST take this over. These TSA creeps are omnipotent and unaccountable.

John the Libertarian on January 23, 2012 at 6:14 PM

TSA is pure useless security theater.

mythicknight on January 23, 2012 at 6:16 PM

At least the Latex gloves stayed in the box…

Atlas on January 23, 2012 at 6:16 PM

whatcat on January 23, 2012 at 6:14 PM

You assume that the candidates have a problem with Big Government.

CycloneCDB on January 23, 2012 at 6:16 PM

…this screw-up is the best PR you’ll ever have short of, say, Oprah getting arrested for trying to carry shampoo on in an overhead bag.

Oprah believes Obama is the Messiah. That’s exactly the kind of crazed destructive religious fervor that should trigger extra screening.

Fabozz on January 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I realize that on balance, the WH Press Secretary can be a hectic job, but was there ever a more smug bastard doing it than Jay Carney?

BKeyser on January 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Women and men will be represented, er, touched, equitably.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I expect that Ron Paul will hit this out of the park at the debate tonight.

ConservativePartyNow on January 23, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I volunteer for the Rand Paul pat down job :)

msmveritas on January 23, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I know this gets tiring, but it simply must be said to continue to hammer how horrible the national Press is: Can you imagine the national outcry, led by the Press, if three years after Bush was elected President one of his agencies detained a U.S. Senator who was an outspoken critic of his administration, only to then have Ari Fleischer “explain” that it’s just part of the new security environment that every citizen must submit to?

Weight of Glory on January 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM

“It doesn’t leave the cubicle or else it gets the hose again.”

aquaviva on January 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM

But haven’t you heard? Inconveniencing people is the same as keeping them safe!

TSA: Now take you clothes off granny! We gotta make sure you don’t have a bomb hidden away in your false teeth.

Yakko77 on January 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Expect Ron Paul to be totally ignored tonight or maybe he’ll get the contraception question.

JPeterman on January 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM

whatcat on January 23, 2012 at 6:14 PM

You assume that the candidates have a problem with Big Government.

CycloneCDB on January 23, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Heh, true. But I believe there is another in the unending series of “debates” coming up, the one who brings it up will score some points. IF he brings it up. I expect Daddy Paul is a little peeved about it, if no one else.

whatcat on January 23, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Another major lib disaster brought to us by W.

kunegetikos on January 23, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I expect that Ron Paul will hit this out of the park at the debate tonight.
ConservativePartyNow on January 23, 2012 at 6:18 PM

He does have “blood” in this one.

whatcat on January 23, 2012 at 6:22 PM

RAND Paul to jump into the R race?

Here’s a man who would of course get all the Ron Paul supporters (if Ron agrees), but has just the right amount of moderation on key issues, to get the majority of the rest of conservatives. Rand would be a real paradigm slicer, though. For example, getting youth and most evangelicals, BUT cutting through at some anachronistic views held by some stodgy conservatives that are past their prime (the views).

anotherJoe on January 23, 2012 at 6:22 PM

But ba ba Bush!

Roymunson on January 23, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Unexpectedly!

Mr. Prodigy on January 23, 2012 at 6:23 PM

What’s with the rhetorical exit question, Allah?

How about: is profiling — used in all facets of law enforcement not to mention scientific study and pretty much any reasoning/judgment — effective?

Oh … wait! That’s rhetorical too.

How about: is profiling UNconstitutional — and if not, why isn’t it being employed by the TSA?

Oh … forget it!

ShainS on January 23, 2012 at 6:23 PM

BKeyser on January 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Robert Gibbs also very smarmy. When God invented ass kicking I think he had those two in mind.

arnold ziffel on January 23, 2012 at 6:24 PM

In a non-communist government heads would roll over this. No heads will roll as the government actively supports it’s thugs.

darwin on January 23, 2012 at 6:24 PM

The tsa non-detention caused him to miss his flight?

tom daschle concerned on January 23, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Interesting about their denial. ” He was never detained!” because they know they’d probably be criminally liable if he truly was detained. But, according to rand, they did say he was being detained.

I wrote my congressman(an R) about the TSA recently. One of his staffers called me because I asked about TSA procedure and policy especially asking questions of passengers. He stated he has no idea and doesn’t even know who to contact at TSA about this.

When they “detained” the Senator, I don’t think they knew who they had, they know now.

Jabez01 on January 23, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Fabozz on January 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Oprah would never fly commercial, private planes for her.

RickB on January 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM

“Rand Paul acted stupidly.”

Jeddite on January 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM

We are all cattle and they are the hats.

saspepper on January 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I was Active Duty Navy, traveling to Bahrain to participate in “War on Terror” fun …

My ticket had been paid for by the U.S. Government – the U.S. Navy in particular.

At the ticket counter – I presented my active duty military identification. At the security check point – I presented the same military identification …

I was still selected for a “random” screening (this was before the body scanners) … and I practically went through a strip search.

TSA guy said it was probably due to the fact that I had a ONE WAY ticket. Uhm … yeah – because my return hadn’t been finalized.

They are clowns.

Best part is … there was 65 year old woman in the screening with me – and she had a prosthetic leg.

LMAO

HondaV65 on January 23, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Dry run.

tom daschle concerned on January 23, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Newt should jump on this with both feet out of the box. If they let candidates introduce themselves, he should just jump the shark on this and do a full blown rant on the TSA, Napolitano, Obama and the republicans in the house and senate for putting up with this crap. He should make it a deliberate attempt by the Obama TSA to harass a republican conservative senator. He would win Fl. bigger than he won SC, if he did. He should declare that if elected POTUS he will abolish the TSA on day 2, because on day 1 he will be abolishing Romneycare, the EPA and x number of other useless fed. agencies.

they lie on January 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM

This Administration is doing all it can to jack up the tensions between themselves and liberty loving conservatives. What is their end game?

Charlemagne on January 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Wow. Incredible.

………….

I wonder if play-doh sets off alarms at TSA. If so then Nancy Pelosi is doomed.

/Face

Key West Reader on January 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM

These people passed creepy two years in. They’re in highly disturbing country now.

squint on January 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I expect that Ron Paul will hit this out of the park at the debate tonight.

ConservativePartyNow on January 23, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Theres a debate tonight?

Mimzey on January 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I want to see Obama, his wife, Holder, Napolitano, Jarrett, etc. get a pat down each. Fair is fair. I’ll leave Biden out of the line up. He’s pretty much harmless.

jazzuscounty on January 23, 2012 at 6:36 PM

If he wasn’t detained why did he miss his flight?
Does anyone know if he made it in time to speak at the Pro Life rally?

Mimzey on January 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Theres a debate tonight?

Mimzey on January 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM

There’s a debate every night.

thphilli on January 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM

If he wasn’t detained why did he miss his flight?
Does anyone know if he made it in time to speak at the Pro Life rally?

Mimzey on January 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I believe he said he missed the speech because of being detained.

thphilli on January 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Conspiracy nut. Exhibit A. smh, this fool is a senator

residentblue on January 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Maybe if the sheeple would start voting with their feet, and refuse to fly, something would get done about this farce known as the TSA.

As for that clown, Carney, IF YOU CAN’T LEAVE, YOU’RE “DETAINED”.

GarandFan on January 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Another major lib disaster brought to us by W.

kunegetikos on January 23, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Yup.

Cleombrotus on January 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM

HondaV65 on January 23, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Thank you for your service.

Going forward, we should all wear burka’s and moslem garb to the airport. That’ll dismantle the TSA in less than 20 days.

Key West Reader on January 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM

i think it was a balanced budget amendment on his leg

t8stlikchkn on January 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM

the TSA acted stupidly

seaniep on January 23, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I’ll bet that if Butch travels commercial, word is sent ahead that the red carpet be laid out for her, and that all the agents be on their knees to polish her jackboots.
But more likely, she commandeers a military jet à la Pelosi when she was Speaker.

LegendHasIt on January 23, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Here’s another example of the awesome TSA:

GarandFan on January 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I have to wonder how someone like Sheila Jackson-Lee ever gets through airport security. I’m sure democratics wouldn’t get special treatment would they?

slickwillie2001 on January 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM

One of these days Janet Napolitano is going to get detained in a TSA snafu

Anomaly detected meets Get Your Freak On, Girl!

Christien on January 23, 2012 at 6:45 PM

The random searches by TSA are both illegal (see the constitution) and useless, statistically useless. A terrorist with a bomb would set it off in the TSA area and cause just as much mayhem, so what do they expect to catch? It’s a different story with the metal detector which screens everyone.

John Mauer on January 23, 2012 at 6:45 PM

He WAS detained. In fact, when he called his office from his own cell phone, he was told he could not use said cell phone. Why? Because you cannot use a cell phone when you are being DETAINED! Who knew? I thought you got at least one call… even in real jail.

UnderstandingisPower on January 23, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Sorry, no, the TSA doesn’t treat all passengers equally badly. Just yesterday, I was “randomly” selected for irradiation — er, I mean, perfectly safe levels of x-ray scanning — by a TSA agent whose compatriots openly joked about how “bad” he was for choosing me. Then, when I was subjected to a patdown by a delightfully masculine female agent (NTTAWTT), she told me I could avoid being touched in the future by removing my jewelry before going through the x-ray machine. Funny thing is, my jewelry has never before presented an issue. In truth, I suspect that the only way I can avoid the patdown is if I put on 30 pounds or so. They’re profiling, all right, but it has nothing to do with identifying those who pose a real security threat.

Syzygy on January 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Didn’t Cynthia Mckinney throw out a “DO you know who I am?” comment?

Of course she is a communist black woman democrat (throw in gay and it could be the most sought after victim class we have)so there is a huge difference.

jukin3 on January 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM

The White House does NOT want to engage the Paul’s in a debate on civil liberties.

They’ll lose, and they’ll lose that argument with DEMOCRATS who still want to defend them. The few left who do. But most, Repubs and Dems want to GET AROUND the Constitution in order to see who can “GET STUFF DONE”.

That’s why I’m Paul or bust this and every election cycle. Let me know when some new liberty defenders arrive.

fatlibertarianinokc on January 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Blaming and laughing at the TSA is like laughing at cops. I thought R’s are the law and order types. I would rather a pat down than another 9/11. Thank God over 10 years we haven’t had another incident, and its not like those people wouldn’t want to do it again.

residentblue on January 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM

GarandFan on January 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Pretty much sums it up for me. Thanks.

Bmore on January 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Perhaps Mr. Paul needs to take this up with his fellow senators who voted to establish the TSA. Anyone not brain dead should have known that the government’s “one size fits all” policy would apply to everyone regardless of any potential risk they might pose, even the privileged class like Senators and Representatives. I can’t wait until the TSA causes a member of the party in power to miss an important vote. In which case RIP TSA.

Nomas on January 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM

i’ll say it again, this is nothing more than a cynical ploy by the pauls to re-gain momentum and have Rand as a “martyr” for the cause, out of hundreds of congressman and senators, it just so happens that the one representing a presidential campaign whose main platform is abolishing the TSA, happens to get “detained”.absolute bs, this was a stunt through and through, Ron Paul is already using this as part of his campaign shtick:

Ron Paul, who is one of four remaining Republican candidates for president, disagreed Monday afternoon. Paul said after he confirmed the incident involving Rand Paul on his Twitter page that it showed why the TSA should be eliminated.

“The police state in this country is growing out of control,” the elder Paul said in a statement released by his presidential campaign.

“One of the ultimate embodiments of this is the TSA that gropes and grabs our children, our seniors, and our loved ones and neighbors with disabilities,” he continued. “The TSA does all of this while doing nothing to keep us safe. That is why my ‘Plan to Restore America,’ in additional to cutting $1 trillion dollars in federal spending in one year, eliminates the TSA.”

now that the white house is involved it’ll force conservatives to rush to Rands defense, it’s nothing more than a stunt

golembythehudson on January 23, 2012 at 6:49 PM

slickwillie2001 on January 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM

No. Never…

///////////

Moose Drool on January 23, 2012 at 6:51 PM

residentblue on January 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I’m not trying to be a smarta$$ here, but are you suggesting no one blames or laughs at cops? Are you being serious when you suggest there hasn’t been any incidents since 9-11?

Bmore on January 23, 2012 at 6:51 PM

In applying this standard, the courts have pointed to certain circumstances that indicate an arrest. These circumstances include the blocking of an individual’s path or the impeding of his progress; the retention of a ticket or piece of identification; an officer’s statement that the individual is the subject of an investigation, or that a truly innocent person would cooperate with the law enforcement officer; the display of weapons; the number of officers present and their demeanor; the length of the detention; and the extent to which the officers physically restrained the individual.”

United States v. Hammock

munseym on January 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM

residentblue on January 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM

No, the TSA isn’t the reason there hasn’t been another 9/11-type attack. Not even close…

Moose Drool on January 23, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I believe he said he missed the speech because of being detained.

thphilli on January 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM

How conveeeeenient.

Mimzey on January 23, 2012 at 6:57 PM

As for that clown, Carney, IF YOU CAN’T LEAVE, YOU’RE “DETAINED”.

GarandFan on January 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM

This. If enough people put their money where their mouth is and cut back or quit flying for long enough, the airlines would force TSA to back off. People love to whine about TSA, but too few actually do anything about it beyond that.

Christien on January 23, 2012 at 6:58 PM

“Rand Paul acted stupidly.”

Jeddite on January 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Heh. Obama could always invite Senator Paul and his non-detainers to the White House for another Beer Summit; but, then, that would require him to be there doing his job. So, nevermind …

ShainS on January 23, 2012 at 6:59 PM

golembythehudson on January 23, 2012 at 6:49 PM

You’re still off-base with your theory. Still.

Fallon on January 23, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I am very surpised that President Obama is not trying to have Congressman Paul and the TSA agents come together for a “beer summit” and try to find a common ground.
I guess Mr. Paul is of the wrong political party, or the wrong skin color. I wonder which it is ?

builderD on January 23, 2012 at 6:59 PM

residentblue on January 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM

So you’re saying Bush kept you safe, eh?

rogerb on January 23, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Dress like a mozlem and breeze through without a problem.

Islamic scholars issue fatwa that full-body scanners violate Islamic law

TSA’s Head-to-Toe Screening Policies:
“It is TSA’s policy that passengers should be screened by an officer of the same gender in a professional, respectful manner.”

Yeah, sure you betcha…

Roy Rogers on January 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM

It must be tough having to lie for a living, especially for someone as nefarious as Mr. Obama.

LizardLips on January 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM

White House sides with TSA in Rand Paul patdown

Of course, in the purple haze world of liberal-ism our rights are limited to what the government god allows us, while our Constitution limits government, not at all.

Speakup on January 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM

White House sides with TSA regarding Rand Paul?

KOOLAID2 on January 23, 2012 at 7:07 PM

BTW, how did Obama turn the conversation on this to himself?

rogerb on January 23, 2012 at 7:09 PM

The TSA doesn’t catch terrorists as 9/11 proved. Even when one of them was suspicious about one of the attackers the guy got through with box cutters. So box cutters didn’t count as a dangerous weapon? WTH?

The terrorists that have gotten on planes, despite the careful frisking of regular citizens, have been taken down by those regular citizens. The TSA is another huge, expensive government entity that is useless and a freedom killer, not to mention being unconsitutional. I haven’t flown for 6 years because of them. Apparently, my little boycott has gone unnoticed. Hopefully Rand Paul will bring some attention to the matter, but until Obama is out of there, things will not change. Profile, profile, profile.

BetseyRoss on January 23, 2012 at 7:10 PM

residentblue on January 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Rand Paul was going to use the plane as a missile to attack the USA?
Exactly which “incidents” have the insanely random, politically correct gropings of wheelchair-bound grannies in Depends prevented?

whatcat on January 23, 2012 at 7:10 PM

rogerb on January 23, 2012 at 7:04 PM

residentblue doesn’t want the truth because deep down in places residentblue doesn’t talk about at parties, residentblue wanted President Bush on that wall, residentblue needed President Bush on that wall!

Roy Rogers on January 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I expect that Ron Paul will hit this out of the park at the debate tonight.

ConservativePartyNow on January 23, 2012 at 6:18 PM

If Paul doesn’t, I’m sure Romney will.

Oh….wait…

timberline on January 23, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Everyone’s comments are right on the money here. But conservatives have to recognize that the TSA, the NDAA, and the PATRIOT Act are all part of the same problem. No one wants terrorists to board planes, or for our government to show restraint or mercy to members of al Qaeda in our midst, but if you give the government powers that COULD be abused and used against innocent Americans, then they WILL be abused and innocent Americans will suffer. And it won’t just be a U.S. Senator having to hang out in a cubicle and miss his flight, it will be your kids who will be felt up, your grandmother’s prosthetic limb or colostomy bag removed, your home ransacked, your phone tapped. If the government CAN hold innocent U.S. citizens in indefinite detention, they WILL hold innocent citizens. If the PATRIOT Act, which authorizes federal agents to write their own warrants, CAN be used against us, it WILL be. I’m sure there are many decent and respectful TSA workers and federal agents out there, but they are not all angels and if they CAN ruin the lives of people you care about, they WILL. Where do you draw the line? Our founders wrote a nifty little set of rules called the Constitution. It has served us well for 225 years and there is no good reason to give up on it now.

TheChucker on January 23, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Cynic that I am, I have this weird idea that the administration may be trying to destroy the airline industry. Why? Maybe, so it can bail it out
and take it over like government motors.

VBMax on January 23, 2012 at 7:18 PM

residentblue on January 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Law and order, yes. Violating constitution, no.

SailorMark on January 23, 2012 at 7:18 PM

BTW, how did Obama turn the conversation on this to himself?

rogerb on January 23, 2012 at 7:09 PM

beats me

t8stlikchkn on January 23, 2012 at 7:25 PM

So, Rand Paul goes from “Aqua Buddha” to “The Passenger”….

nifty.

ted c on January 23, 2012 at 7:31 PM

they lie on January 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM

This. ^^^ We should all email this to him.

PatriotGal2257 on January 23, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Yes, his detention was quite unconstitutional.

29Victor on January 23, 2012 at 7:44 PM

they lie on January 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM
This. ^^^ We should all email this to him.

PatriotGal2257 on January 23, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Not so fast, Newt can’t abolish Romneycare!

VBMax on January 23, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Sounds like Rand was deliberately provoking them.

Count to 10 on January 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM

“The system worked!”– Janet “Butch” Napolitano

onlineanalyst on January 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM

It’s my understanding that a representative cannot be detained (for any reason) if he were on his way to cast a vote…That’s how Patrick Kennedy sees it…

repvoter on January 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM

He was trying to help his dad

tomas on January 23, 2012 at 8:13 PM

If the TSA can do this to the American people at airports, then why not in other areas, settings and places?
If the threat is so great that civil liberties can be suspended to board an airplane, then why not a bus or train? Why not even on the sidewalk? Are there not terrorists walking down main street? Living in homes and apartments?

Why not have random house to house searches? These are the serious fundamental questions. We either have liberty or we don’t. The constitution either applies to Americans or it doesn’t.

The TSA has to be disbanded soon before it grows into a 4th branch of government, as well funded and armed as our military.
If they are intimidating conservative Senators now, wait and see who the go after in another few years if Obama is re-elected.

JellyToast on January 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM

TSA is a terrorist organization that commits terrorism on the American people 24/7 at every airport in the U.S.!!They need to be reigned in!!

Marco on January 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Will the supporters of PC nonsense apologize when the next attack happens because we were too busy being politically correct and idiotic instead of, ya know, SAFE and smart?

TheBlueSite on January 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Silly conspiracy theorist! They’d never dare to do that.

Oldnuke on January 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Dang, my previous post was in response to this.

JellyToast on January 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I’m old and confused the preview button and the submit button.

Oldnuke on January 23, 2012 at 8:49 PM

If a reasonable person would believe they were not free to leave, they are considered to be in custody. Such custody is not voluntary.

Oh oh this was a Republican Senator….never mind. The US Constitution is what ever Obama and his minions say it is. After all we are told often Obama taught Constitutional law at one time. Not that he ever wrote a scholarly article or ever even submitted a brief in a court….but trust Obama and the government.

DVPTexFla on January 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM