Video: Preemie born at 9.5 oz finally goes home

posted at 10:00 am on January 23, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday was the 39th anniversary of the Roe v Wade decision, so it was a little surprising to The Morning Spew to see ABC feature this heartwarming story of the survival of the third-smallest preemie ever, which the network aired on Saturday. Did ABC connect the dots on this story, which emphasizes life, or was it just a coincidence of programming?

When I saw this video, my mind flashed back to an evening in October, when I attended an event by Pro-Life Action Ministries in which former Planned Parenthood manager-turned-pro-life convert Abby Johnson spoke. Her speech lasted well over a half-hour, but I put together a few short highlights about her painfully honest recollection of her work at PP. Her description of the sterile Newspeak about the outcomes of abortions was especially chilling — and even more so when considering the child who just went home with her parents:

As a grandparent of two girls myself, the first revelation took my breath away, but the second was more instructive. Planned Parenthood wants to pose abortion as an antiseptic tissue removal service, but Johnson’s explanation of the “POC” (products of conception) work is just ghastly. It’s an explanation that exposes the lie that abortions only expel a lump of tissue, and it should be heard more often in the discussion over abortion. (Interestingly, it’s difficult to find links to “POC technician” in the US, but here’s a want ad in India that explains exactly what is involved.)

The “miracle baby” was a product of conception, too. Kudos to ABC for airing this segment on the weekend when pro-abortion advocates celebrate the disposal of millions of “products of conception” over the last 39 years.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

It’s OK, nathor. Being hated by those commanded to love (or burn in hell!) is not rare. I can deal with it.

I am laughing at him, so I can hardly blame him for hating me. He is an ape, after all, as are we all.

Random on January 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Stop making ignorant comments, and instead read your Bible. All through the Bible God calls people fools, brutish, simple, perverse, scorners, wicked, etc. Jesus turned over the tables of the money changers and called false converts ‘hypocrites’ and ‘vipers’ to their faces (Matthew 23:27-28). If He were here now you’d accuse and say the same thing to Him so stop being a little devil’s advocate.

apocalypse on January 23, 2012 at 4:50 PM

you do realize that I am an atheist as well? i just trying to call upon the better angels of your religion so you at least stop the vitriol.

nathor on January 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Random on January 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM

indeed apes we all are. and there is an ape called romney that I love to hate for the fake politician, establishment blessed politician that he is. time to do some hating :)

nathor on January 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Here Horace I’ll lend you this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lJZiqZaGA

Bmore on January 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM

apocalypse – Great quote from Job.

My favorite quote from Job is when God appears out of the whirlwind and says to Job: “Who are you to questions my ways? My ways are not your ways.” The world’s first recorded “beetch slap!”

Horace on January 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

…haha that’s one of my favs also! The scoffers have no idea of the awesome power and holiness of the Almighty God they have offended by their sin. Judgment day is gonna be more like falling onto the sun than them arguing their case before God. I’m saved love the LORD goin’ to heaven and even I’m terrified LOL. Peace.

apocalypse on January 23, 2012 at 5:20 PM

apocalypse – Ah, I see you have now been designated as “insane.” Welcome to the club.

Horace on January 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Yeah, I’ve heard it all before, lol. :-)

apocalypse on January 23, 2012 at 5:32 PM

you do realize that I am an atheist as well?

nathor on January 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Random on January 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM

indeed apes we all are.

nathor on January 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM

LOL statements like this make sense coming from people who believe they are apes

apocalypse on January 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I am done trying to talk some sense to these monkeys for now… you cannot debate with me… you will lose… Me > Your favorite Caveman

apocalypse on January 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM

And the techniques and efficiency and productivity of mass murders have increase magnitudes since Malthus’ time.

Horace on January 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Sorry..checked out for a bit..
I think we agree more than disagree.

Mimzey on January 23, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Any day above ground is good!!

Nonsense.

Random on January 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Well, do the experiment and get back to me with the results.

Bubba Redneck on January 23, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Back in the day when I was in high school in the mid-70s, there was a girl in my all-female Health Ed. class who was pregnant by her boyfriend, who was in the class ahead of us and a year older. It wasn’t the common or accepted situation it is now in some areas; not to say it never happened, but for us in our small-town high school, it was a first.

At the time, some girls were snarky and catty about it — not to her face — and I remember thinking that when our teacher was talking about the act of intercourse, she could probably skip listening to that part of the lecture, as she and her boyfriend had already figured it out for themselves.

The story does in fact have a very happy ending in several ways: first is that the baby born to my classmate and her boyfriend is now a young man in his 30s and who has a couple siblings; second is that his parents got married and were still married at our 20th class reunion; third, and what has become a lasting legacy in our area, is that my classmate’s mother found some backers, and with the help of many of the local churches, established a crisis pregnancy center which is in its 35th year of assisting young mothers and fathers with unplanned pregnancies. As far as I know, they exist solely on donations and benefits; our parish does the baby bottle drive every year and I know of several other churches who do the same.

PatriotGal2257 on January 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM

apocalypse on January 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM

thank you. You took the words right out of my mouth….

chai on January 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Video: Preemie born at 9.5 oz finally goes home

How can this be? Time and time again I’ve been told it’s not a baby but just a blob of cells.

Inconceivable!

rukiddingme on January 23, 2012 at 10:47 PM

PatriotGal2257 on January 23, 2012

That is a great story.

And at the risk of taking this thread further off track (it’s dead anyway), it goes to show that having babies, as teenagers, is perfectly natural.

Random on January 24, 2012 at 12:50 AM

PatriotGal2257 on January 23, 2012

And at the risk of taking this thread further off track, it goes to show that having babies, as teenagers, is perfectly natural.
Random on January 24, 2012 at 12:50 AM

This is my ‘take’ on your sentence from above.

“. . . . . . it goes to show that having babies, as teenagers, is perfectly natural possible . . . . . .”

It also goes to show that being able to “enjoy having sex” is an insufficient qualifier for ‘real life’ parenthood capability.

And also, what is ‘natural’, is not necessarily ‘normal’.
But expounding any further on that takes us into Christian theology.

listens2glenn on January 24, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Horace on January 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I was 4Lb 8 oz at birth in 1970…and was almost totally oxygen-deprived for the 3 day prior because the doctors refused to induce after my mother’s water broke.
I think we’ve both done okay.
*smiles*
Btw: LOVE the ‘WKRP’ reference.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM

That is a great story.

Random on January 24, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Well, thanks. But I agree with Listens2Glenn above. Just because teens are raring to act on those perfectly natural urges and are physically capable of bearing children doesn’t mean that they should.

PatriotGal2257 on January 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM

apocalypse on January 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM

thank you. You took the words right out of my mouth….

chai on January 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Salute to chai… truth all day my friend

apocalypse on January 24, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Horace on January 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I was 4Lb 8 oz at birth in 1970… and was almost totally oxygen-deprived for the 3 day prior because the doctors refused to induce after my mother’s water broke. I think we’ve both done okay. *smiles*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I am VERY thankful you made it as well… now if we can only get you understanding that God made woman “for” the man and not the other way around, we could really solve a lot of problems we have been having with you around here… ;-)

apocalypse on January 24, 2012 at 1:28 PM

apocalypse on January 24, 2012 at 1:28 PM

DANGED BLAST IT . . . . . . I didn’t read that until just after my wife left for work (2nd shift ET).

She would have had a great laugh at that second link. : )

Worth noting for semi-giggles here is that ‘man was formed’ (from the dust of the earth), the implication being “molded.” [Gen 2:7]

But the woman was not “molded” like the man.
In Gen 2:21, God takes the rib from Adam. In Gen 2:22, God ‘made a woman’ from Adam’s rib. The original Hebrew word translated to English as “made” in that verse would be more aptly translated to the English word ‘built‘.

The first time a group of us heard that from some Bible speaker, we thought he was ‘pulling our leg’. However subsequent investigation using concordances proved him correct.

Conclusion: Women are BUILT! (by God, from or out of Man, for Man)

I don’t know how much ire this will raise from some other posters here (thread seems almost dead), but it will be interesting to see.

listens2glenn on January 24, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Psalms 139:13-16 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully [and] wonderfully made: marvellous [are] thy works; and [that] my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, [and] curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all [my members] were written, [which] in continuance were fashioned, when [as yet there was] none of them.

POC – Products of Creation

labrat on January 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

She would have had a great laugh at that second link. : )

listens2glenn on January 24, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. :-)

Appreciate your interest Glenn, but I am one of those Christians who gets real nervous any time somebody says “Well, the King James translators — it should have translated it this way.” You know, they’ve had 1 year or 2 years of Hebrew in college and these guys had the total accumulation of probably 200 years of Hebrew. The King James translators knew Hebrew extremely well and if they decided that the English word “made” was the best translation in 1611, well, I trust it and won’t “correct” God’s Word. PS, this NOT a criticism of you at all. No two people agree on everything and you are one of my favorite posters in here. All these “modern” Bible versions go back to 1 Timothy 6:10. Thx.

apocalypse on January 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM