Mitt Romney’s circular circus of a stump speech

posted at 4:25 pm on January 23, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Contrary to popular perception, I am no more in the bag for Mitt Romney than I am for Newt Gingrich. In fact, I was concerned about Romney long before I learned to be concerned about Gingrich. I’ve also come to appreciate the strengths of both — and will support either should he become the GOP nominee. Until then, though, I’ll continue to write about weaknesses as I see them.

As Mark Steyn pointed out yesterday and other (liberal) analysts quickly picked up on, one of Romney’s most superficial flaws is his tendency to repeat his talking points verbatim from debate to debate and stump speech to stump speech. All the candidates do this to a certain extent, but the rest of them have mastered the art of at least seeming to be speaking off the cuff. The first time I heard Romney say Barack Obama wants to turn this nation into an entitlement nation while he wants to preserve it as an opportunity nation, I nodded approvingly. The 19th or so time I heard him say it, my eyes glazed over. Repetition is a vital part of messaging and not all viewers watch all the debates and read stump speech transcripts, but Romney could easily find new words for the same concepts if he cared to.

Similarly, when I first learned the slogan of his campaign was “Believe in America,” I liked it. But, when I read this quote plucked from a stump speech by Steyn, I shared Steyn’s frustration with Romney’s ineffectual emotional pandering backed by no real emotion.

“I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that’s the America millions of Americans believe in. That’s the America I love.”

I still halfway hope the quote isn’t an actual quote at all, but just a Steyn parody of a Romney quote. Surely?

As Buzzfeed wryly observes, this is the sort of thing Stephen Colbert would say in a Colbert Report monologue. Then again, Colbert wouldn’t be very funny if his viewers didn’t already know deep down that all politicians are just a step away from this degree of ridiculousness.

Update (Allahpundit): When I read that Romney “quote” last night in Steyn’s post, I thought it was satire, not an actual quotation. I still think so, but I admit that it’s ambiguous — enough so that, per a quick googling, a lot of people seem to have taken it at face value. (Unless I missed something in the search results, that sentence never appeared online before Steyn’s Corner item yesterday.) The fact that we’re even debating whether it’s genuine only proves his point, though. That “quote” sits right on the line between giggly Alice-in-Wonderland nonsense and the sort of vacuous poll-tested buzzwords about America that Romney uses to mask his ideological problems with the base. How can anyone doubt his conservatism when he clearly really, really, really loves America? If Gingrich upsets him in Florida, in a week or two Mitt will be wearing an American-flag lapel pin the size of his head. In its own way, it’s as cynical a pander as Newt throwing roundhouses at John King to make grassroots righties swoon and then complimenting him after the debate on what a great job he did as moderator. The difference is, Gingrich can at least speak with conviction about conservatism. Romney can only give you some of the window dressing and hope that’s enough.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Gingrich will destroy the GOP. Bet on it.

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

This. THIS. THIS!!!!

We don’t care about FMac or Nancy’s couch or wedding bells.

We care about people STANDING UP FOR CONSERVATISM.

He may be a jerk, but he explains, teaches, and fights for conservatism like nobody i’ve ever seen.

NEWT!!!!

If Gingrich upsets him in Florida

he will. rubio creamed crist, and that was in a general.

pamplonajack on January 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

You thought it was satire? No. He’s that phony & scripted, Tina.

spiritof61 on January 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM

How can anyone doubt (Mitt’s) conservatism when he clearly really, really, really loves America?

I have no doubt Mitt loves his wife and America, he just doesn’t like those icky American people very much.

Fallon on January 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Gingrich will destroy the GOP. Bet on it.

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

explain. also, explain which states gingrich will LOSE that romney would otherwise WIN.

ROMNEY would even lose some of mccain’s states: Missouri, for one.

pamplonajack on January 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I assumed it was a joke by Steyn. There’s no way Romney intentionally said that. Maybe he mangled his words and it came out that way.

Doughboy on January 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM

It doesn’t matter, Tina. We’re screwed either way.

BacaDog on January 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I’m going to avoid rushing to judgement until someone can confirm the quote is real.

Reading it really made me break out in laughter though. If it is satire, it’s brilliant.

Doomberg on January 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Here is another from the Willard of Milquetoast:

“I think Barack Obama is actually a pretty good person. I think he’s a good father, I think he has good intentions, but I think he’s in way over his head.”

-Mitt Romney

Valiant on January 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Is it real, then? I struggled with that question yesterday after reading the Stein op-ed.

Masih ad-Dajjal on January 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Steyn hit that one out of the park.

kunegetikos on January 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

yeah, you sooo nailed it (not)… except that any demagogue usually speaks with conviction about pretty much anything, that’s what their gig is all about…

jimver on January 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Now, that I have secured the first comment spot :) I can actually add something substantive.

Did you know that Gingrich wanted the death penalty for importers/drug dealers in the early 90′s?

For someone who purports to shun Sharia law, that is very Sharia-like, is it not?

I am a supporter of the death penalty but it was never to be meted out for drug related offenses as awful as they are, particularly “pot”

Also, Romney wins on character in the latest Rasmussen poll. So, Gingrich is up but on character “Naughty Newt” is almost dead last?

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

“I was against conservatism before I was for it.” -Romney

mankai on January 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Romney doesn’t know conservatism if it came out of a paper bag and punched him in the face. That is why he can’t ARTICULATE it.

karenhasfreedom on January 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Romney is awesomely awesome in his awesomeness.

Just ask his supporters.

BuckeyeSam on January 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Gingrich will destroy the GOP. Bet on it.

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

If the GOP can survive Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Bob Dole and two Bushes, it can survive Newty.

TitularHead on January 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM

If you go for a gopher, the gopher you go for will go for a gopher hole. (5x fast)

Christien on January 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM

TitularHead on January 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Can’t believe I forgot Johnny Mac.

Or, was that just a bad dream?

TitularHead on January 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Rush was right, platitudes aren’t going to make it and Mitt is full of them, on tape.

I keep getting this nagging feeling Mitt is running to satisfy a long held family mission and wouldn’t be all that distressed if after giving it his best shot, someone else were chosen for the run for Whitehouse.

Speakup on January 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM

You thought it was satire? No. He’s that phony & scripted, Tina.

spiritof61 on January 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Got a cite to the speech in which Mitt said this, then? I can’t find it anywhere.

There’s a lot — a lot — I don’t like about Gingrich, but I think he’s on the level about his conservatism. The occasional global-warming heresy notwithstanding.

Allahpundit on January 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM

You know I have never seen such comments during the GOP primary. When McCain was he one we did not want the comments were less vitriolic, substanative and spent more extoling their candidate then besmirchers the supporters of others.

Methinks campaigns have begun setting their staffers upon the blogs to try and move the needle in their favor.

Theworldisnotenough on January 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Not.

Although, the death penalty for drug importers is hot topic right now!/

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

John McCain’s and Bob Dole’s character numbers were off the charts. I think you may be on to something.

That nasty ol’ Newt. He’ll get killed in a conservative state like SC. No way conservative, Evangelical voters or women voters will ever support him./

mankai on January 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Death penalty for smugglers isn’t Sharia, it is Singaporean. A baggy of coke in Singapore will get you hanged. Drug use in Singapore–almost non-existent.

andy85719 on January 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Being super scripted like he is, he can’t ad lib with any efficiency. I have zero desire to have a beer with the guy except to ask him what the hell he was thinking with Romneycare and to shame him for saying that he wants to be president of the 99%.

I’ve talked to Newt. I’d enjoy having a beer with the guy. After of course I ask him why in the hell Roosevelt is his favorite president of the 20th century.

beatcanvas on January 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

rubio creamed crist, and that was in a general.

pamplonajack on January 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Romney Campaign Run by Charlie Crist’s Political Aides

…Romney’s chief campaign strategist and several of his most senior campaign staff were Crist’s top political advisers — the same ones who crafted Crist’s moderate, ignore-the-tea-party strategy epitomized in Crist’s famous “hug” of President Barack Obama. That strategy led Crist, once the most popular Republican governor in the nation, to defeat…

Flora Duh on January 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

i saw that clip. it was DEALERS. it was also the early 90s — when a national crime wave was horrific all across the US, and right after the 80s, when crack and coke-related crimes were still ‘new’.

check out crime stats from about 1992 or 1993, i dare you. scary scary stuff.

so now? sure it seems odd. though i’m not so conflicted about killing drug KINGPINS myself, since we certainly have the will/record (cough) of taking out some druggies in S America before.

and i’m assuming the newt wouldn’t say that today, much less say it then for the individual pot grower (which was rare then) or meth lab guy (which was even rarer then), i’m sure he would say the drug lord.

CONTEXT folks CONTEXT.

but if that’s the worst of “big government newt”, then count me in!

pamplonajack on January 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Exactly, Mark has it right. My imperfect solution… 1st, “calibrate a bit uncalibratedness,” do something that shows a rough edge, that doesn’t seem to fit what is in his best interest for the general election (something not obviously stupid, though, like the tax fiasco).
Also, come out swinging on conservatives issues by: a] say something controversial that gets the liberals in a huff, b] burn down — to the ground — the meme that you are a “MA Moderate.” If you can’t do it, you’re probably done for.

anotherJoe on January 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Can’t believe I forgot Johnny Mac.

Or, was that just a bad dream?

TitularHead on January 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Its easy to do since John was ever really a candidate.

Speakup on January 23, 2012 at 4:37 PM

andy85719 on January 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Damn right.

I remember the first time I went there. The immigration form has a box with big, bold letters saying “Drug smugglers will be executed”.

BacaDog on January 23, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Steyn obviously thought the quotation was real: “Mitt paid someone to write this insipid pap.”

Seth Halpern on January 23, 2012 at 4:37 PM

The establishment is stealing this election and giving it to Gingrich. We need to stop the elitists! Heck, the Gingbots can say it, can’t I?

Also, any Gingbot supporter is a RINO so we can disregard any factual assertion they say as being…uhmm…”un”-factual as a Gingbot would say :)

If a Mittbot and a Gingbot got into a fight, who would win? The Gingbot would likely ask the Mittbot to just lay over and except defeat and be “open” to other robots coming into the battle. The Gingbot would argue that his voice was really important, something the other bots had to hear.

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Last night I was chatting with a couple who escaped from Zimbabwe after Mugabe took over and started his stealing of the lands to give to the poor. She was from South Africa, he was from Zimbabwe, and both were now diehard Republicans. They were just counting down the hours till they could vote against Obama.

“Obama, Mugabe, they are two sides of the same coin,” said the gentleman from Zimbabwe. “And remember that Mugabe was a pretty good president during his first term. It was after the second and especially the third that his true colors came out. I am not particularly in love with any of our Republican field this year, but none of them is Mugabe.”

It put shivers down my spine, and it reminded me of what is at stake here.

JoseQuinones on January 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Here is another from the Willard of Milquetoast:

-Mitt Romney

Valiant on January 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Well, polls show people like Obama as a person while they don’t like the direction he is taking the country. Independents, moderates, and Reagan democrats are more likely to agree with this line of thinking than right wingers calling Obama a socialist.

It’s a smart general election strategy, but it won’t get you points in the GOP primary where some members of the party want to hear “I’m not just going to bloody his nose, I’m going to knock Obama out.” Statements like that play well in the GOP primary, but they lose in the general.

cd98 on January 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Romney Campaign Run by Charlie Crist’s Political Aides

Well.

Now we know why Romney’s campaign seems unprepared for things like the Bain attacks.

Doomberg on January 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I’m going to take an objective point of view for this post, as if I’m not for any particular candidate, which is sometimes true. It seems that the Romney campaign is dominated by Team Romney, and they are, mistakenly, trying to play it by the book. Problem is there is no book. No book; it’s a bunch of loose pages, and the rest is art. For the most part you have to -feel- your way through a campaign like this, but it seems Team Romney is trying to *figure* their way. The first sentence of “the book” should read: “There is no book.” The analytical mind has to give way to equal or greater parts Picasso, and, even, Van Gogh.
Also, a lot of the time these guys are.. just winging it. They don’t feel -or- figure… they just wing. This is a huge and unheralded part of how things get done: winging it. Predictably, you’d have to fault the Newt campaign as the most troubled by the “just winging it” syndrome. Why did Newt fall so precipitously in December? Why wasn’t something done to check the unimpeded fall? Because Newt was just winging it, and that doesn’t bode well for November.

anotherJoe on January 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Secured the first comment? Are you one of Mitt’s sons?

Fallon on January 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Gingrich will destroy the GOP. Bet on it.

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Soooo… is that an argument against Gingrich?

makattak on January 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Funny. Unfortunately, the reason it is stated that the establishment is behind Mitt is because people like Rove, W, Dole, McCain etc. are behind Mitt.

Any examples of the establishment running to support Newt?

Didn’t think so.

mankai on January 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM

He also spoke with conviction about love and commitment to his first two wives. They bought the BS too.

Gunlock Bill on January 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM

***

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I’m not sure that I have a problem with it. Drug usage is not a victimless crime. I’d argue that someone died somewhere along the distribution chain. Consider it an extension of the felony murder rule or conspiracy to commit murder.

Seriously, is drug dealing an activity that has any societal value whatsoever.

If that’s objectionable, I’ve always wondered why they didn’t make dealing a lifetime offense and usage (based on drug tests) a strict liability crime punishable by progressively increasing confiscation of one’s net worth. Parents liable for children until they’re living independently. That’d get some parents involved in their kids lives!

BuckeyeSam on January 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM

You MUST be joking Allah.

Yes, he spoke with similar conviction as he implored the citizenry to contact their representatives and plead with them to work on cap and trade initiatives. I believe Nancy Pelosi was similarly convincing in her conviction.

To anybody who an read, Gingrich is less of a conservative than Romney. He had tons of conviction in his voice as he explained that Paul Ryan’s plan to save social security was “right wing social engineering”.

Your hatred for Romney is obvious and getting pretty disgusting.

Romney will still win the nomination….or Obama will win the election. At least if Obama wins re-election, you will get more hits, eh?

Jailbreak on January 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM

No Palin, no peace!

Emperor Norton on January 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Gunlock Bill on January 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Desperate non sequitur

mankai on January 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM

The 2010 elections sent a message to Washington,”Stop doing what
you are doing !”

The message has been ignored by obama and the senate.

I get the feeling that romney doesn’t get the message either.

Newt knows a message was sent, but isn’t quite sure what it was.

2012 elections will re-send the message, loud and clear.

amadan on January 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM

It’s a smart general election strategy

cd98 on January 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM

No it’s not. It’s pandering.

How about this: “I wish I could give credit to Barack Obama, but I can’t fathom what it takes for a man to saddle this nation’s children with such a mountain of debt. It seems immoral to me.”

beatcanvas on January 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM

There is no etiquette once one goes nuculer however- Is there ?

FlaMurph on January 23, 2012 at 4:43 PM

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Desperation. Catch the fever!

makattak on January 23, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Your hatred for Romney is obvious and getting pretty disgusting.

Jailbreak on January 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM

AP, this individual was formerly known as “The Wall”.

kingsjester on January 23, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Not true. His record and Congress and Romney’s record in the Massachusetts’ governorship are worlds apart. All the rhetoric in the world can’t make it otherwise.

Doomberg on January 23, 2012 at 4:43 PM

BacaDog on January 23, 2012 at 4:37 PM

In Singapore, criminals are not coddled and given second and third chances. Their penal code is one of the cleanest I’ve read, with all the crimes written out precisely. The judges have no flexibility with sentences and there aren’t any stalling appeals process. If our criminal law resembled theirs, the cost of running the government would be a fourth of its current size.

andy85719 on January 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Nancy Pelosi and 4 0ut of 5 Right-Wing Social engineers disagree.

FlaMurph on January 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM

“one of Romney’s most superficial flaws is his tendency to repeat his talking points verbatim from debate to debate and stump speech to stump speech.”

“but Romney could easily find new words for the same concepts if he cared to.”

The problem Romney has is he doesn’t believe it. When Kerry was debating George Bush he was constantly looking up and to the side before he uttered a word. He was remembering what he was supossed to say. Similarly Romney repeats crap because this is what he is supposed to say, if he spoke off the cuff he would sound like a fool. Just like George Bush sounded better when speaking off the cuff because saying what you believe is easy and natural. Romeny on the other hand CAN’T speak off the cuff because what he believes would turn voters off. A sustained unmoderated debate against Gingrich would do him in. Gingrich would carpet bomb him with facts about Romneycare (Chiefly it sticks the federal govt. with the bill) and he would defend it with conviction and reveal himself.

The Which Mitt video is so damning because Mitt seems very convicted on two opposite positions. I cannot square that circle. How do I trust him? How do I think hey the next Scalia is coming from this guy? It is easier for me to believe that Romeny will nominate a “moderate” to the court in exchange for some help reforming Obamacare in his own image instead of repealing it. Gingrich would nominate Janic Rodgers Brown, and nobody has he stones to do that except Newt. Bam take that Romney staffers!

Theworldisnotenough on January 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Allahpundit on January 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I think Newt falls in with the Reagan, Tip O’Neal, sort of working things out after hours story line.

There’s pluses and minuses to that and Newt has the word juice to make it a positive aspect.

Not that I think we should just forget who he’s set on the couch with.

Newt would need plenty of grassroots guidance.

Speakup on January 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Jailbreak on January 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM

That’s all you got?

Mitt wanted to close down coal plants.

How did you feel when Joe the Plumber questioned Obama on his Marxist “$250K/yr = rich” class warfare tax plan? You must have been pissed at that loud-mouthed plumber… because Mitt knows the real truth, “$200K/yr = rich” (Mitt’s proposed tax plan for 2013).

Defend that.

mankai on January 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM

The quote is up there with the Miss Teen South Carolina contestant. Our Tina makes much more sense.

I feel sorry for Miss Teen and Mitt both. I’ve never liked glib. But there’s a minimum threshold. And isn’t the essence of being a conservative talking from your heart?

Paul-Cincy on January 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM

And speaking of Obama’s immorality, this new headline appears right on time:

Mitt, in my opinion, doesn’t really think the nation’s debt load is immoral. If he did, why increase it by using federal money to fund Romneycare?

beatcanvas on January 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Let us assume that they all “love America”.

Still, one makes her go in one direction, and the others don’t.

However, Mitt can’t debate, nor hook the folks at the gatherings. How on Earth would he do that with/to Obama? He is by personality too much of a snot, like Obama. It just is. They were born and brought up that way.

It’s the season for a conservative populist, or a populist conservative. Maybe later there will again be a time for a blue-blood.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Mitt Romney:

I’m asking you Republicans to “Believe in a Liberal”

Ain’t gonna happen, Mitt McCain. Ain’t gonna happen.

Key West Reader on January 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Nancy Pelosi and 4 0ut of 5 Right-Wing Social engineers disagree.

FlaMurph on January 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM

That’s all the Mittbots have.

Keep beating that dead horse as you continue to support the most leftist of the original 8 GOP candidates.

mankai on January 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM

When my kids were younger I had flash cards with addition, subtraction and multiplications on them. They did well in math. Mitt’s handlers just have the same thing…with talking points on them.

KOOLAID2 on January 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM

i beleive in a hotgas where dozens (ok, hundreds) of hotgassers believe in a hotgas thats the hotgas dozens of hotgassers believe in. except for the mittbots of course.

t8stlikchkn on January 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM

In some ways Mitt is alot like Obama, he just can’t come out and say what he truly believes in. If he is still the Mitt of the 90′s please run on those beliefs and let the chips fall were they may. Don’t pretend to be something you are not.Authenticity baby.

celtic warrior on January 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM

andy85719 on January 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Amen, Andy. As evidenced when they caned some US diplomats son for vandalizing cars a couple of years ago.

BacaDog on January 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM

You thought it was satire? No. He’s that phony & scripted, Tina.

spiritof61 on January 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Allahpundit on January 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Steyn says it is in his standard stump speech. Perhaps a Mitt supporter can provide a link. Personally I just tune him out now–I might as well listen to a PowerPoint presentation.

spiritof61 on January 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Delusionally the Mitt folks, his advisors, his PACs, his communications team and his HA adherents don’t see it.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Mitt Romney:

I’m asking you Republicans to “Believe in a Liberal”

Ain’t gonna happen, Mitt McCain George Soros. Ain’t gonna happen.

Key West Reader on January 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM

There. It’s good when you fix your own self.

Key West Reader on January 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Contrary to popular perception, I am “no more” in the bag for Mitt Romney. Should be Contrary to popular perception, I am in the bag for Mitt Romney. Fixed Tina

Chitown2424 on January 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM

The question most people need to answer is who would you have a drink with?

Though mitt can drink alcohol, he can prepare a mean cup of the romney family’s famous skim milk

Flapjackmaka on January 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM

There is no etiquette once one goes nuculer however- Is there ?

FlaMurph on January 23, 2012 at 4:43 PM

i believe MIRVing the opponents hardened land based silos is frowned upon.

t8stlikchkn on January 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM

The ease with which old man Newt relates to the lower middle class white workers has cornered that voting bloc for him.

Obama has abandoned them, and the wealthy Bain destroyer of badly run companies looks down on them as fools. And that voting bloc describes Florida more than you know.

Sure Newt’s ideas are over the top sometimes, but they always include making things better for the white lower middle class workers who want to work hard.

Newt is still trying to become his father who had the US Army’s careerist’s approach to his enlisted men…a respect for them for sacrificing for their country.

Mitt is still trying to become his father who had a wealthy auto industry tycoon’s approach to his union laborers…a hatred for them for demanding to be overpaid and mess up the killing on the next public offering of the owner’s stock.

jimw on January 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Just one ex., his taxes.

He should have just said “I legally don’t have to release them, but I will do that, traditionally, by April 15″.

The video just on this topic plays itself for Obama.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I think it’s time for Romney to drop out for the good of the party.

TitularHead on January 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I am just having fun. We should not get too up in arms about my comments about Gingrich, they are just as valid as the assaults on Romney. I am just choosing Romney because Gingrich has a history of self-destruction and bad favorables.

In earlier posts I tried talking to people but now, while I sit in class, I thought I would just have some fun.

It is like knowing your death is coming (in this case, the death of the GOP’s chances at winning the nomination) and laughing about it.

I have come up with a new phrase, Gingoism as opposed to Jingoism. Right?

Can we all agree that Perry would of been the ideal candidate if he could debate?

Seriously though, I do think Gingbots are selling the biggest lie of the cycle, which is Gingrich is antiestablishment.

To each there own right, Romney for some and Newt “Swinger” Gingrich for others.

Excuse me while I go to be elitist establishment planning meeting…

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Make absolutely no mistake about it, Obama and his capos are prepared for only Mitt and they are hit hard by the revelations of the last few days.

They suffer as much as Hume/Coulter.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I think it’s time for Romney to drop out for the good of the party.

TitularHead on January 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Riiiiiiiiiight

sandee on January 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Watch:

Newt will trot out all that he and Billy Jeff did in the 90′s.

And America will wax nostalgic. And Newt will win the Independents nationwide.

Eat it Obamney.

Key West Reader on January 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM

posted at 4:25 pm on January 23, 2012 by Tina Korbe

That was a fast Annulment. What happened, Romney’s check bounce or something. I understand I am being a bit harsh on you, but do you really seriously expect us to believe this disclaimer when your entire HotAir staff went so deep into the tank when Romney was riding high that I actually blocked your site on my computer for two days? You guys banned people because they said nice things about Newt in multiple threads. Maybe I will read past this sentence later and see what you got to say, but I really feel this webpage stabbed itself in the back by trying to steer the election to someone that is most certainly not a movement conservative. It goes to trust. Fox News even sacrificed much of its trust.

astonerii on January 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I think it’s time for Romney to drop out for the good of the party.

TitularHead on January 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM

You misspelled “Gingrich.”

HomerS3 on January 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM

If I listen to Gingrich speak, I cam fairly certain 75% of what he says, he means. Even if it’s “outrageous” he’s saying what he’s actually thinking most of the time.

With Mittens, I have no idea if even 10% of what he says, he means. He’s taken so many positions on every issue, it’s really impossible to know when – if ever – he’s reading a script or speaking from the heart.

angryed on January 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Gingrich will destroy the GOP. Bet on it.

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Good. That is what many of us want. Get rid of the old and
in with the new….ideas that is. Back to the constitution
and conservative governing, balanced budgets, less government
intrusion on private lives and businesses, etc.

Amjean on January 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Romney needs to endorse Gingrich quick so that we can go ahead and defeat the Marxist

social-justice on January 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Gingrich will destroy the GOP. Bet on it.

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Sadly, so would Mitt.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

“I think Barack Obama is actually a pretty good person.”

-Mitt Romney

Valiant on January 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Really Willard? I actually don’t.

This is the kind of BS Medved says. Zero has no ill intentions, he really wants the best for everyone because he’s just a swell guy.

Anyone who says that with a straight face is either lying or a RINO-In-Gold. With Romney it is probably both.

CorporatePiggy on January 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

That’s all the Mittbots have.

mankai on January 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Isn’t it interesting that they never mention that Gingrich testified against Cap & Trade?

Newt Gingrich Testifies Against Al Gore/Cap & Trade, Rips Gore’s Global Warming ‘Facts’ To Pieces

Flora Duh on January 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Next up from Mitt?

Rubber baby buggy bumpers.

or

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. How many peppers did Peter Piper pick?

GrannyDee on January 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Fallon on January 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM

He likes to fire Americans. That has to count for something.

angryed on January 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM

The feeling I get after months of listening to Romney and watching him operate is that he is not nearly as smart or savvy as I thought. That’s why he is so scripted and canned, he doesn’t have the grounding in history or philosophy and the million facts at his fingertips like Newt.

I’m not saying smarts is the only qualification you need to be president, but there is something to be said for a candidate who has the knowledge to educate the American people without being overly intellectual. Newt is clearly interested in the issues and learns them in depth. A big plus in my book that will aid him in taking the fight to Obama.

Galadriel on January 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Jailbreak on January 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Comedy gold. Gingrich has gone off the reservation – that is true. But he has done more for, and fought more battles for, conservatism then Romney even pretends he is going to do in the future. What has Romney ever done for conservatism? What battle did he lead, or even show up in? At most Romney will offer a tepid op-ed column well after the dusts settles on an issue.

It’s one thing to argue that Newt has baggage and will have problems in the general election, or even that he may be somewhat of a loose canon. It is another thing entirely to claim that Romney has more conservative credentials than Gingrich.

Romney’s problem has been and will be that nobody buys his convenient conversion to conservatism just in time to run for the presidency. He has no history of conservative thought or deed to back him up. He governed MA as a slightly right-of-center Governor. The argument to that is “it was MA, it’s the best you could hope for”. Well, fine. But that just means he has no conservative history to point to and wants me to take his conservatism on his word alone. And he swore up and down that he was NOT a conservative when he ran for Senate and then MA Governor. So when was he telling the truth?

You can claim that Romney is trying to run as a conservative this time around – but even that is a stretch. He is trying to run just as far right as he thinks he has to in order to get the nomination and not a step farther. And, most of that is put in his position papers, etc., it is not something he sells from the heart in stump speeches or in debates. So how much of a conservative is he really?

There are some valid arguments to be made for Romney. don’t insult people’s intelligence by claiming he is a conservative or more conservative then Gingrich or Santorum. He isn’t even close.

Monkeytoe on January 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

The Conservative movement has become an angry mob. They want blood and Gingrich is giving it to them. He is a fast talking con man who hasn’t got a drop odisciplinene.

NickDeringer on January 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Gunlock Bill on January 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Apparently people around here will buy anything if there’s enough red meat packaged with it.

Swerve22 on January 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM

karenhasfreedom on January 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

If Romney can’t make the case for a Romney presidency, then he deserves to lose. As I understand it, Mitt’s father, Governor George Romney, self-destructed his own promising national political prospects with a single sentence, the wrong choice of words at the wrong time while on camera. Thus, Mitt’s has carefully scripted his own political career in order to avoid that particular minefield; hence, everything Mitt Romney says sounds carefully rehearsed, meticulously researched and vetted by focus group analysis.

So Romney has two choices: (1) adhere rigidly to The Plan and wait for Gingrich to screw up–which is very possible given Gingrich’s history and temperament; or (2) throw away the script, dispense with The Plan, fire the army of analysts and advisers and strategists surrounding him (since they don’t know anything about dealing with the unexpected or taking on real, formidable opponents), and go for broke, all or nothing. Say whatever comes to mind. Be spontaneous, free-wheeling, extempore. Out-Gingrich Gingrich.

troyriser_gopftw on January 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Flora Duh on January 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

There you go again spewing that anti-Mormon communist hate speech. For shame.

angryed on January 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Delusional…Newt is the poster boy for delusional.

FlaMurph on January 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Jailbreak on January 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Most delicious part of the Mitt meltdown….knowing paid trolls like JB will will soon be out of a job.

angryed on January 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Ohh, and the Steyn quote is satire. There’s no way Mitt says that in a speech. You people are gullible.

Monkeytoe on January 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Mitt’s platitudes remind me of my 5th grade English vocabulary tests, where we were not permitted to use the particular word we were defining in a sentence.

Sort of like this:

“Political progressive: – a politician who is progressive in his or her governing philosophy, characterized by a progressive attitude toward his or her political constituency.”

PatriotGal2257 on January 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Delusional…Newt is the poster boy for delusional.

FlaMurph on January 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Keep kidding yourself.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Gingrich will destroy the GOP. Bet on it.

ConservativeLaw on January 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Sadly, so would Mitt.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I’d rather wage a bloody knife fight than to go down by way of the effete, manicured hands of a Marxist Commie.

Roar.

Key West Reader on January 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Gunlock Bill on January 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Another Mittbot who can’t stop talking about Newt’s sex life. It’s getting really creepy how you guys are so obsessed with what the man does in his bedroom.

angryed on January 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM