March for Life expected to draw thousands

posted at 12:55 pm on January 23, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Yesterday marked the 39th anniversary of the Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade, and the pro-life movement is out today in full force to remind observers of the sanctity of life.

Thousands will gather in the District for the annual March for Life.

It’s been deemed the largest and longest-running peaceful human rights demonstration for the unborn, with more than 100,000 expected to attend.

Among those expected to participate in the march are hundreds of Catholic University students. University president John Garvey says “The passage of time since the adoption of Roe v. Wade has not dulled people’s sensitivity to this moral calamity. On the contrary, especially among young people, it has emerged as the preeminent human rights issue of our time.”

To put this in perspective, the original Occupy Wall Street march consisted of about a thousand protesters. Eventually, tens of thousands of Occupiers joined the movement — and, collectively, were responsible for 417 incidents of violence, vandalism or other outrageous behavior. About four months after they started, the Occupy Wall Street protests have all but fizzled. For this, Time magazine named “The Protester” its 2011 Person of the Year.

In contrast, the March for Life is expected to draw 100,000 protesters this year alone. The March is known for its peaceful nature. It begins every year with a prayer vigil, for goodness’ sake! Plus, protesters have persisted in their efforts for nearly 40 years. What keeps them going? Danielle Bean, an On Faith panelist for The Washington Post and the editor-in-chief of both Catholic Digest and Faith and Family sheds some light on that subject:

The crowds at the annual March for Life are largely made up of young people who are positively exploding with optimism, energy, and enthusiasm. These kids inspire me. They carry signs: “It’s a child, not a choice.” They wear t-shirts: “Social justice begins in the womb.” They challenge us all: “Mother and child. Love them both.”

Some say we should allow for abortion, especially in the hard cases, when a pregnancy is unplanned and unwanted. At the March for Life, however, young Americans boldly reject the idea that the value of any human life is diminished because it is unplanned or unwanted.

Some say we should allow for abortion, even if we would not choose it ourselves, because not everyone shares our religious beliefs and we “can’t legislate morality.” Young pro-lifers are quick to point out, however, that we do just that all the time. We outlaw murder, rape, slavery, and theft because all of us, in our humanity, recognize that they are wrong. Abortion is a moral issue, not a religious one. Our faith might affirm our belief in the dignity and value of all human life, but it is not the source of it. Our humanity is.

Some say we should allow for abortion because feminism demands that women have access to reproductive “choices.” But the young voices at the March for Life reject abortion precisely because they embrace a new kind of feminism. One that recognizes the inherent dignity and value of every woman and rejects the “right” to sex without consequences and easy access to abortion which leave women in a strikingly vulnerable position, to be used by men as sexual objects.

The young people at the annual March for Life assert the unpopular truth that women deserve better than abortion, and instead offer women real choices: genuine alternatives to the harm that abortions cause.

Here’s hoping these pro-life marchers receive the media attention they deserve. I’m talking to you, Time editors.

P.S. In the spirit of doling credit for those who do cover pro-life issues, please don’t miss Ed’s relation of the poignant story of a preemie baby beautifully released to her parents, which ABC news (good for you, ABC!) recently broadcast.

Update I: This post originally mistakenly stated that today marked the 39th anniversary of Roe v. Wade. In fact, the Supreme Court handed down the decision Jan. 22, 1973 — or 39 years ago yesterday.

Update II: Newsbusters reports that New York Times ignored the March for Life for the fifth year in a row.

Comments

Went to one about ten years ago. Really would like to go back. Next year perhaps :/

blatantblue on January 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Im sure these people will “relieve” themselves on cop cars just like the Tea partiers did when they protested right?

watertown on January 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Crickets from the National Media?

Do I have to ask?

Cleombrotus on January 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM

100,000, if it was “choice march” it would be millions upon million…but since it isn’t, it will be “a small number of insignificant angry protestors”…

right2bright on January 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

tom daschle concerned on January 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM

watertown on January 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Don’t “hold it” waiting for that to happen. You could seriously injure yourself.

Kraken on January 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM

If you don’t have the right to life, none of the others matter.

And if abortion is legal because you “can’t dictate what a woman does with her body”, then what about all the FEMALE children who are aborted? What about their right to THEIR bodies?

wildcat72 on January 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM

March for Life expected to draw thousands

And the Socialist; National Media will give the story about 30 seconds talking about extremists in the streets and while devoting three times as much to the foundering OWS ‘movement’.

Chip on January 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Kraken on January 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM

That’s alright, you can’t actually hold your breath until you asphyxiate. You will pass out and your automatic nervous system will resume breathing.

wildcat72 on January 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM

100,000, if it was “choice pro-death march” it would be millions upon million…but since it isn’t, it will be “a small number of insignificant angry protestors”…

right2bright on January 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM

FIFY

Trafalgar on January 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Wow! 100,000 people who want to deny our daughters their dreams to paraphrase the jug-eared idiot who must be defeated in November. Seriously, any President who does not respect the culture of life is unfit for office. And to equate abortion with allowing women to fulfill their dreams is about as despicable as one can get.

Happy Nomad on January 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Wasn’t Rand Paul gonna speak at this?

thphilli on January 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM

wildcat72 on January 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM

This line of reason always drives me crazy. The child within that woman is not part of her body. It is a life unto itself and deserves to be protected by society even from the mother.

Happy Nomad on January 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Happy Nomad on January 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Yes it is.

Wait nine months, have the kid, give it up for adoption, then go back to pursuing your dreams.

blatantblue on January 23, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Many years ago when I willfully decided to go my own way and be a bit “rebellious”, I determined that the libertarian view of being pro-choice was the sensible option. I could be personally “pro-choice” but not have to “step” on anyone else’s rights or beliefs. I was in my late teens, early twenties.

Then I grew a brain, pulled my head out of my butt and began logically thinking through what I believed and why. I wholly rejected the idea of being pro-life for me, pro-choice for others. I saw it for the contradictory bit of moral rationalizing gymnastics that it was. It’s merely a shade of relativism spraypainted with shellacking of libertarian freedom.

It then took me a few years to fully reject the compromise that so many pro-life individuals have bought – the other bit of relativism; that abortion is okay in cases of incest and rape.

If the unborn is a human being… If a human being is precious and has value… If a human being is created from the moment of conception/fertilization; then willful, caused killing of that unborn human cannot be justified as a response to a crime committed against the mother, no matter what laws men have cooked up. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Logus on January 23, 2012 at 1:16 PM

For this, Time magazine named “The Protester” its 2011 Person of the Year.

As if that had nothing to do with Libya, Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen, Russia, Greece, Bahrain, and Syria. Good insight there. But way to take a shot at the media. Newt must be proud.

tmchugh on January 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Vita !

celtic warrior on January 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

tom daschle concerned on January 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM

This.

Without the right to life, the rest become moot.

CurtZHP on January 23, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Happy Nomad on January 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM

The sad reality is that many women who vehemently support the legality and use of abortion have no qualms in calling the unborn parasites.

It’s a “parasite” so long as it’s unwanted. But as soon as they want it, hands off her body…

I am continually amazed by the pragmatic, illogical “gymnastics” those espousing pro-choice beliefs will go to argue their case. It is so often sickening and upsetting.

Logus on January 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM

You know who won’t be marching in this event, the 60 million human beings who have been chopped to bits and suctioned away since the 70′s because they were considered inconvenient.

Bishop on January 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM

March is the leading story on all newscasts and the front page news, and ….oh!

KOOLAID2 on January 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Yes it is.

blatantblue on January 23, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Absolutely 100% correct.

inviolet on January 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Logus on January 23, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I went through the same evolution in my own opinion. I think this bolded part is very difficult for many to accept however.

DarkCurrent on January 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Logus on January 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I was hanging out with these three girls last summer at a local vineyard. I met them at work the day before. We were talking and having a drink, and they brought up one of their friends who got pregnant.

One said:

“I told her to get rid of that shit.”

I stopped talking to her immediately.

I can’t respect an individual who would say such things.

blatantblue on January 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Just a few hundred per the lsm if they even report it

cmsinaz on January 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I had the honor of participating in the March in ’97.
Words can’t describe it.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Here’s hoping these pro-life marchers receive the media attention they deserve. I’m talking to you, Time editors.

The media will give a five second shot of the march followed by a 10 minute interview with one of the NOW protesters that are holding a pro-murder/anti-life protest afterward in defense of the indefensible.

Seriously, I don’t know why it bugs me so much but Obama declaring that abortion allows our daughters to fulfill their dreams really has me riled up. As if becoming an angry black woman with a do-nothing job at a Chicago hospital because your husband is a Senator is more important than motherhood and raising a family. Of course Michelle Obama has her own mother raising her kids because they just get in the way of her “dreams.”

Happy Nomad on January 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Logus on January 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM

And the sad part is that years later many of these same rabid anti-life advocates become less selfish, actually have children, or simply mature and realize what a horrific thing they did.

Happy Nomad on January 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM

According to Politico, Rand Paul said :”“Today I’ll speak to the March for Life in DC. A nation cannot long endure w/o respect for the right to Life. Our Liberty depends on it,” tweeted Rand Paul at 9:49 A.M.”

This was when the TSA stopped Paul when he failed the airport scan and all hell broke out.

timberline on January 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM

The media will find the one douche in the crowd holding the sign which says to kill abortion doctors, and that person will get prime-time coverage for the entire day. In fact they will get invited on all the talk and news shows.

Bishop on January 23, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Everyone Against Abortion Please Raise Your Hand.

timberline on January 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Blatantblue and Darkcurrent – I think such comments and reasoning or lack of accepting the logical conclusions is often due to outright ignorance, whether willful or accidental.

The willfully ignorant do not want to climb down from their throne. Pride sits like a huge pair of pads on their shoulders.

This discussion today about the sanctity of life reminds me of a chart I came across a couple of months ago. This guy put together a mathematical string to show just how unique each individual person is, merely in being. The statistics and chart may be a bit of whimsy, but the underlying reality is certainly spot on which he showcases. I highly recommend viewing the chart and passing it along. He may not have had a pro-life message in mind, but it is certainly applicable.

Consider, we are so unique, and yet we take it upon ourselves to be like god and chose who has an opportunity to taste life, snuffing out so many unique lives that will never occur again.

Logus on January 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I don’t understand how anyone can hold the following two beliefs simultaneously:

1) If I were to hit a pregnant woman in the stomach I would be tried found guilty of murder.

2) If the same woman were to get an abortion it is not murder but “choice”.

Never have had anyone who could explain to me how you can logically hold both statements to be OK.

Cecil on January 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM

It’s live on C-span.

idesign on January 23, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Logus on January 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Only the mother gets to play god. Fathers are denied a say whether or not to kill off life.

Happy Nomad on January 23, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

tom daschle concerned on January 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Indeed. And it’s our government’s role to secure the Creator-endowed unalienable right to Life, not enable the destruction of it!

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, –That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

ITguy on January 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Energy toward pro-life anything without energy toward sex education, birth control education, improvement of access to birth control, condom education, and yes, even abstinence education of that floats your boat – is lazy, irresponsible and head in the sandist.

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Logus on January 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM

The chart is entertaining. I guess we are all lottery numbers :P

The only quibble I have with it is that someone is going to be born anyways, if not me. Just as a lottery number will still be drawn if not my number.

NotCoach on January 23, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Everyone has a right to live. No matter what they are born with, no matter how they are created, no matter who wants them around and who doesn’t. Join me in supporting life, do it for our fellow citizens, do it for yourself, do it for the children!

Dollayo on January 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Dear Dave,

This is exactly why pro-abortionists (such as yourself) don’t get it. In this mortal plain nothing is more important then a human life. Proclaiming we must follow your formula is the exact same thing as throwing the baby out (no pun intended) with the bathwater. Respecting human life above all else is contingent upon nothing.

NotCoach on January 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Dear Dave,

NotCoach on January 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM
—–
I am pro-choice but anti-abortion.

There’s no excuse in 2012 for unwanted pregnancies. None.

You can Bible thump/cry for the terminated humans/etc all you want, but if you don’t attack education and access to the tools to prevent pregnancy, you’re wasting society’s time.

Reduce pregnancies and you’ll reduce abortions.

What’s so f*cking complicated about that?

I don’t get it? Pfft. Clearly you don’t get it.

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I was there that year, too!

I was also pregnant with my first child, though I didn’t know it at the time. Anyway, it was the one of the greatest things I ever did–for myself. I had been falling into an almost despair that noone else cared about all the innocents being butchered in the womb. My family are all prolife, but never really talked about it. I didn’t have any friends that apparently did… Then I was at the Mall and then the March started…there were so many, but it wasn’t until I got to the crest of a hill and could see infront and behind and there were people as far as the eye could see. BEAUTIFUL!!! I knew I really wasn’t alone. I really want to go back and take my daughter with me again.

God bless those there this year.

pannw on January 23, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Dear Dave,

I am pro-choice but anti-abortion.

Is that sort of like being pro-communist but anti-Marxist?

Reduce pregnancies and you’ll reduce abortions.

The rate of unintended pregnancies has been on the increase since Roe v. Wade. Why? Despite easy access to contraception and all the “sex education”, unintended pregnancy rates continue to climb. Perhaps the ease with which we can kill the unborn is the reason? Regardless, even if 100% of all pregnancies were unintended life is still life. You don’t “address” the sanctity of life by addressing birth control. I suppose next you will tell us how we can only stop murders through murder education and that it is pointless to make murder illegal because only murder education will stop murders.

I don’t get it? Pfft. Clearly you don’t get it.

You don’t respect life. So of course you don’t get it.

NotCoach on January 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Bishop on January 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Or as Obama said, “mistakes”.

toolnutz on January 23, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I can’t stress this enough: Roe v. Wader’s MUST see “180″ Movie → click here

apocalypse on January 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM

50,000 in San Francisco on Saturday in some pretty vile weather.

JanYarnot on January 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM

NotCoach on January 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM
——-
A breathtakingly stupid and irrelevant analogy.

Hmmm:

A Statement from The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy
11/17/2011
(Washington, DC) — The U.S. teen birth rate declined 9% in 2010 and is now at the lowest level ever reported, according to data released today by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS). The 9% drop is the steepest one-year decline since 1946/1947.

“I am aware of no other social problem that has improved so dramatically over so many years,” said Sarah Brown, CEO of The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy. “Progress in reducing teen pregnancy has been nothing short of remarkable — the teen birth rate has declined a stunning 44% between 1991 and 2010. There have been impressive declines in all 50 states and among all racial/ethnic groups. Not so long ago, teen pregnancy was viewed as intractable and inevitable. This report shows that too early pregnancy and child-bearing are 100% preventable.

“The magic formula of less sex and more contraception is responsible for this great good news,” said Brown. “Teens are being more careful for a number of reasons, including the recession, more media attention to this issue — including the ’16 and Pregnant/Teen Mom effect’ — and more attention to and investment in evidence-based programs. But at the end of the day, the thanks and admiration go to teens themselves.”

Other findings from the new NCHS data include:
Birth rates declined for teens of all ages. The rate for teens 15-17 declined 12% in 2010 and has fallen 55% from its peak in 1991. The birth rate for teens 18-19 declined 9% in 2010; 38% lower than in 1991.
Birth rates also declined for all racial/ethnic groups. Among teens 15-19, the birth rate declined 9% in 2010 for non-Hispanic whites and non-Hispanic blacks, 12% for Hispanic and American Indian Alaska Native teens, and 13% for Asian Pacific Islander teens.
The national teen birth rate fell to 34.3 births per 1,000 girls aged 15-19 in 2010, down from 37.9 in 2009 and 61.8 in 1991 when the teen birth rate was at its peak.

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM

You don’t respect life. So of course you don’t get it.

NotCoach on January 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM
—-
You have your head in the sand clutching your Bible instead of looking for solutions, so of course you don’t get it.

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I am pro-choice but anti-abortion.

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM

OK, so what is this “choice” you’re in favor of?

Trafalgar on January 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I am pro-choice but anti-abortion.

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM

OK, so what is this “choice” you’re in favor of?

Trafalgar on January 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM
——-
Thinking is hard. You should take a break.

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Birth rate is different then pregnancy rate. The pregnancy rate may be down as well among teens, but nothing you posted indicates that. Regardless, overall unintended pregnancies are up. But there is a conundrum in your data. If pregnancy rates among teens are down as well and young adults today are embracing pro-life solutions, perhaps the only truly effective birth control is respecting life?

NotCoach on January 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM

NotCoach on January 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM
——
If pregnancy rates are on the rise, then cutting education or access to birth control is amazingly stupid.

You will not prevent people from having sex. You can help them not get pregnant. So why don’t the Bible thumpers get over their self-righteous selves and do that?

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM

As a former fetus I feel I’m qualified to confirm that life is precious.

Buttercup on January 23, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM

You have gone off the rails. Respecting life does not mean being against birth control. My quibble with you was about the ridiculous notion that we cannot be pro-life without being pro-sex education. one does not follow the other. Whether condoms are legal or illegal all unborn children deserve to live.

NotCoach on January 23, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Thinking is hard. You should take a break.

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Not only are you an incredibly rude person, but you’re illogical to go with it. You claimed to be “pro-choice” but “anti-abortion”. My question was simply what is this “choice” that you’re in favor of? In common usage “pro-choice” means to be in favor of a woman’s right to choose between having a child or terminating the pregnancy through abortion. To be pro-choice includes being pro-abortion.

Trafalgar on January 23, 2012 at 3:24 PM

According to statistics compiled by the pro-abortion Alan Guttmacher Institute, 46.3 percent of women obtaining abortions did not use some form of birth control during the month of conception.

Of those, 10.0 percent cited financial barriers or ignorance of how to obtain birth control as the reason why they didn’t use it.

Lack of access to and knowledge of birth control methods is a factor in less than five percent of abortions. The notion of a mass birth control campaign reducing the number of abortions in the United States is fantasy.

Statistics from:

CDeb on January 23, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM

You seem to be a silly, petty little bitter man.
Let me guess…you’re also an atheist?..and a liberal…and you think that drugs should be legal..and gays are “discriminated” against…and global warming is a threat to the planet..and maybe..just maybe, 911 was some kind of inside job..and that “green energy” is a common sense direction to throw money into?

How did I score?
Why are liberals so bitter and predictable?

Mimzey on January 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Doesn’t this march usually get ignored by MSM? Easier to ignore a single one, no matter how big, than several. The States are the answer for everything. Win the States. 100k in 1 spot or 10k in 10 spots? Cover more area.

Must have a calm, rational message. If it’s irrefutable reasoning, all the better. Parital-birth abortion? Abstract term, describe it. Need for abortion? wrong premise, the right to choose to say no and will not engage in sexual activity, therefore no need for birth control or baby elimination. All luxuries are a choice, hence not necessary.

John Kettlewell on January 23, 2012 at 3:48 PM

You seem to be a silly, petty little bitter man.

How did I score?
Why are liberals so bitter and predictable?

Mimzey on January 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM
——-
1 type stuff in
2 claim someone stands for it
3 pat yourself on the back
4 go look up strawman
5 learn something

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I say this as an attendee of several marches in SF – anyone else there for the 1st West Coast Walk for Life? :-0. Yowza.
Anyway it just seems to me that the larger these marches get the more marginalized the movement becomes. I think there’s a solution but I’m pretty sure it’s not political. I just don’t think we can stop the inevitable consequences of the abortive mentality when Christians are so divided about life issues, such as embryonic stem cell research and use IVF to conceive. I hope for the best though and thanks to all who are sacrificing to be at these marches.

quiz1 on January 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Just leaving DC after completing the Walk to Respect Life. Came from Jersey with my 13 to son. Seeing all the young men and women here today gives one hope for the future. God Bless them as they spread the message of life.

red131 on January 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Mantra of Avalokiteśvara

DarkCurrent on January 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I like how NBC uses the word “thousands” when I’ve been to a Right to Life March and a much more appropriate word is “Hundreds of Thousands.” As in: Over 200,000.

Lemme guess, the media panned to the shots of the 4 pro-choicers outside the Supreme Court.

BKennedy on January 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Dave Rywall:

There’s plenty of reasons for unintended pregnancies:

Birth control fails, and by definition a pregnancy that results from birth control failing is unintended.

If you don’t intend to get pregnant, don’t engage in the single natural action that causes it.

BKennedy on January 23, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I’ve long wanted to participate, but couldn’t find any non-Catholic groups to tag along with. Are there evangelical orgs that do this?

mrsknightley on January 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM

mrsknightley on January 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Maybe the Catholics aren’t so bad.

DarkCurrent on January 23, 2012 at 6:03 PM

mrsknightley on January 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Maybe the Catholics aren’t so bad.

DarkCurrent on January 23, 2012 at 6:03 PM

She must fear those nasty, evil Catholic COOTIES!!!

ladyingray on January 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM

DarkCurrent, I don’t mean any offense to Catholics. I’m just not comfortable following the religious traditions they often practice at these events.

mrsknightley on January 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM

mrsknightley on January 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I’m not a Catholic either, but I suppose on certain very important things we can find enough in common.

DarkCurrent on January 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Tina, pushing the meme and lie that the young really really care about abortion, I see. Its just not true. Yeah, among Southern/Midwestern churchgoing young adults, opposing abortion is popular. But in the West and in the Northeast and in the big cities, most people under 30 year old aren’t opposed to abortion.

Daikokuco on January 23, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Vita !

celtic warrior on January 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra!

Goldenavatar on January 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I’m proud of my fellow pro-lifers there in that march..wish i could be there too..

obama made a statement today ‘celebrating’ roe vs wade

As we mark the 39th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, we must remember that this Supreme Court decision not only protects a woman’s health and reproductive freedom, but also affirms a broader principle: that government should not intrude on private family matters. I remain committed to protecting a woman’s right to choose and this fundamental constitutional right. While this is a sensitive and often divisive issue- no matter what our views, we must stay united in our determination to prevent unintended pregnancies, support pregnant woman and mothers, reduce the need for abortion, encourage healthy relationships, and promote adoption. And as we remember this historic anniversary, we must also continue our efforts to ensure that our daughters have the same rights, freedoms, and opportunities as our sons to fulfill their dreams.

he makes me physically sick to my stomach..constitutional right to kill life…you know nothing of the constitution

sadsushi on January 23, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Reduce pregnancies and you’ll reduce abortions.

What’s so f*cking complicated about that?

I don’t get it? Pfft. Clearly you don’t get it.

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM

The abundance of contraceptives led people to begin permitting abortion. We keep hearing that X% of Americans (some high number) believe in using birth control. Then the same people tell us that the way to stop abortion is with more birth control. Pick one.

bmmg39 on January 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM

BKennedy on January 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM

One could say that dozens were at the March for Life today. After all, even if 12,000,000 showed up, that would merely be a million dozens.

bmmg39 on January 23, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I favor life for the unborn, for death-row prisoners, for people in hospital beds, like Terri Schiavo, for elderly persons, and for every woman, child, and MAN on a sinking ship. (Judging by some of the comments on the Costa Concordia thread, I part company with some people here on that last one.)

bmmg39 on January 23, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM

1 type stuff in
2 claim someone stands for it
3 pat yourself on the back
4 go look up strawman
5 learn something

Dave Rywall on January 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM

You are such a moron.

No one here claimed to be against education or access to birth control, unless that birth control method is your particular “choice” (abortion).

But then, to claim someone else did exactly what you did JUST BEFORE you accused them of doing it just shows what a complete idiot you are. Not like anyone here needed that clue about you.

runawayyyy on January 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM