Bruins goalie skips White House ceremony honoring team in protest

posted at 8:00 pm on January 23, 2012 by Allahpundit

I assumed at first that he was doing this because, in the eternal “Obama: incompetent or evil?” debate, he had come down on the side of the latter. But no. This doesn’t appear to be an anti-Hopenchange thing specifically.

Tim Thomas posted the following statement on his Facebook page regarding his decision to not attend a ceremony at the White House to honor the Bruins for their Stanley Cup win last June:

“I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT”

Meanwhile, at the White House:

During his speech, President Obama spoke glowingly about Thomas and his performance.

“This Stanley Cup was won by defense as much as by offense,” Obama said. “Tim Thomas posted two shutouts in the Stanley Cup Finals and set an all-time record for saves in the postseason and he also earned the honor being only the second American ever to be recognized as the Stanley Cup playoff’s MVP.”

Thomas is a devoted tea partier, to the point where he wears the Gadsden flag motto on his mask. Anyone know if he’s endorsed a candidate for president? I searched online but couldn’t find anything, although “not Romney” seems a safe bet.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The only hockey stick this dude has ever seen was on the climate change report.

hillsoftx on January 23, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Threadwinner!

Nordeast on January 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM

haha
another loser who probably thinks his s%#t don’t stink
liberal4life on January 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Next to you that would be fact you tree-swinging sub-primate

eat peach pits

Sonosam on January 24, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I personally think this is classless. No he is not obligated to go. However, I think you should go to show solidarity with your team. In addition, it is about having respect for the Office of the President. This is a tradition. If some liberal athlete or celebrity would refuse to meet a GOP/Conservative Prez, y’all would be up in arms and roasting him/her over the coals. Hypocrisy is an amazing thing.

nyclakerfan on January 23, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I don’t disagree with his point, but he’s part of a team. If he didn’t want to go and join his teammates in representing his team, he could’ve respectfully declined without further comment. If I take a “Shut up and sing” approach to entertainers, I apply it evenly.

Still, it was his choice to make.

Christien on January 23, 2012 at 8:14 PM

First, showing respect and saying yes are not the same thing. You can show respect in declining an invitation every bit as much as you show it by accepting one.

He rejected the offer months ago. He went through his chain of command (asking the team, coach, and general manager) if he could be excluded due to his personal belief system. They all agreed. He then politely declined the invitation (months ago mind you). The press asked him a question about why he decided not to meet the president and he put this as an answer.

Also, why now? TT knows this is just a campaign stunt that he doesn’t want to tacitly endorse. Remember, Boston won the cup last June. We are closer to the next cup champions (LGRW) than we are to the Bruin’s win.

And lastly, no, I was not up in arms when Oprah or the other various celebrities and athletes refused to meet Bush (there were several, bet you haven’t heard of most of them). I do have a problem when they openly insult the president. Tim is all class my friend (and that’s coming from a Wings fan). So I can say I respect TT without hypocrisy.

Pattosensei on January 24, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Conservative4Ever on January 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Dragoonchris on January 24, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Preaching to the choir kids!! Ah, the lean years, remember when they were giving away cars and the infamous “Bucket-o-Beer” to get butts in seats at the Joe? Good times, good times.

waterytart on January 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Good for him. Flip the bird at these Elitist boobs. I would have done the same thing.

TX-96 on January 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Conservative4Ever on January 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Dragoonchris on January 24, 2012 at 2:00 AM

waterytart on January 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Not many occupied seats at Olympia back then. Anyway….those days are over. There has been lots to cheer about since Stevie Y started the road to dominance.

Conservative4Ever on January 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Hopefully we can get Nick Lidstrom one more Cup before he’s done. By the way, NBC Sports (formerly Versus) is doing a show that follows him around for a day and a half, called NHL 36, on Wed. night.

Flange on January 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Pattosensei on January 24, 2012 at 11:25 AM

ya nailed it … with you there

conservative tarheel on January 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Tim Thomas made exactly the right decision. There should be no “shut up and sing” criticism, just because he’s a sportsman or member of a team. An appearance with the Presentdent doesn’t have anything to do with sports or the team–it has to do with <0 attempting to suck some popularity off of a winning sports team. That's what TT didn't participate in and his statement about it is succinct, accurate and classy. MVP in more than one game.

Ay Uaxe on January 24, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Sounds like he is solidly in Ron Paul’s camp. If only conservatives could understand how many people who are upset at the direction and state of the nation, are not just upset at some democrat president. For them, elections are not a game to see which party wins. That’s what sports is. Each election rather is an opportunity to bring about fundamental change. But each election brings the same. This is why Ron Paul keeps picking up independents and a lot of people on the right. At some point many people realize that nothing really changes.

keep the change on January 23, 2012 at 11:57 PM

burserker on January 24, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Flange on January 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM

5 for #5. I’ve been saying it all season. LGRW!

Pattosensei on January 24, 2012 at 10:46 PM