Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on January 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

“In [Team Romney's] view, Gingrich has barely run a campaign. As they see it, Team Gingrich doesn’t have the money, professionalism, brains, or organization of the Romney campaign. They see the former Speaker as somewhat unstable and vulnerable to continued attack on issues of ethics and morals. And most of all, they see Gingrich as a candidate who owes his very existence to the never-ending series of Republican debates — and not much more…

“In the next few days, there will be plenty of analysis attributing Gingrich’s victory to other factors: his commanding performances in debate, his next-door advantage in South Carolina, and Romney’s now-traditional difficulties in the state. But after all the talk of ground game and debate war, there’s a simpler reason Gingrich won: On the stump, in town hall after town hall, across South Carolina, Gingrich has been a markedly better campaigner than Romney

“Gingrich’s success here in South Carolina shows more than just a skepticism toward establishment Republicanism. It also shows a hunger for real substance in the campaign, for a candidate who will talk to voters and give them more than phrases like ‘I believe in America.’ Mitt Romney’s team of seasoned campaign professionals may not think Newt Gingrich has any business playing a deciding role in the race. But they better believe it, and they better take seriously what the Gingrich challenge represents — before it’s too late.”

***

“Conservatives are very frustrated, and rightfully so. Their feeling is that they play by the rules – they work hard, pay their taxes, raise their kids right – but what do they get for it? Their values are mocked on television and the movies, the media castigates them as a bunch of extremists, they pay taxes while half of the country does not, and the Obama administration took to demagouging them virtually from day one of his tenure. I know of what I speak – a few months back I was driving down the road and saw a sign in front of a business lamenting, ‘Where is the America I grew up in?’ I nodded my head in approval.

“Enter Newt Gingrich, the person on the debate stage who finally speaks truth to power. ‘Not so fast, John King!’ ‘Hold it just a damned minute, Diane Sawyer!’ ‘How dare you talk to me like that, Brian Williams!’ These are the sorts of thoughts that millions of conservatives have every week. And now here is Newt Gingrich actually saying it right to them. Never mind the fact that he is expressing indignation at liberals while sometimes offering not-so-conservative policies, or using it as a form of misdirection to turn attention away from his own questionable deeds. Conservatives everywhere love to hear somebody finally stick it to the elites.”

***

“In an ideal world, Romney would be a strong candidate. But it’s not an ideal world. In fact, it’s a downright mean, nasty, grubby world of imperfect men struggling to confront serious historical and philosophical forces while battling each other for power and prestige. Segments on the right have not entirely digested the notion that Obama and his party are running on a platform of contempt for America and ‘fundamental change’ for the future; it’s like they think the Dems don’t really mean it. And that taking the high road by confining the campaign to “jobs” will appeal to the ‘real’ America somewhere out there in the heartland. And that playing rough is beneath us.

“Newt played rough in South Carolina and won big. That ought to tell the GOP something. Whether it will is another story. If this loss tonight makes Romney a stronger, better, more articulate candidate, terrific. But he has to learn from this stunning defeat: The base is itching for a fight with everything the Obama Democrats stand for and they don’t much care who gives it to them, just as long as somebody does. Tonight, that’s Newt.

“As the late Al Davis used to say, ‘Just win, baby.’ And, as the Democrats say, ‘by any means necessary.’ It’s high time they got a taste of their own medicine — and understand there’s a lot more where that came from.”

***

“Yet the elites ignored the roar. After all, the roar came from the unwashed. It came from the fans of cockfights. It came from tea party folks and other such rabble. Inside the sterile cable studios and on their laptops, the pundits scored their debate and their election prospects without the roar. They have their little formulas about who has to raise doubts here and who has to score points there.

“What they don’t understand is what the roar means.

“The roar is passion. The roar is intensity. The roar is pent up frustration. The roar, put another way, is the national mood of conservatives. It is a roar that will demand a fighter. It will demand that those who want our votes must not cower in the face of the liberal template. If fact, it is a roar that demands that we do not accept any liberal templates.

“That’s why Newt has gotten all the roars, and why he has vaulted into serious contention only days after being written off.”

***

“But above it all we can hear the weeping, the wailing, the gnashing of teeth of the Republican establishment as Gingrich’s victory sends them into full-blown panic. I’m not talking about mere fear, nor normal nervousness. Not even the feeling you get when the captain says, “We’ve lost power in one of our four engines.’ No, this is worse. Worse even than when your doctor says, ‘I don’t like the looks of that shadow on the X-ray.’

“This is terror. Chest-clutching, breath-sucking, soul-shaking panic. This is your teenage daughter telling you, ‘I think I’m in trouble.’ This is a Turkish border guard pulling you into a holding room when you’ve got a baggie of coke in your pocket. This is what George H.W. Bush famously called ‘deep doo-doo.’”

***

“Contrary to the received wisdom up until now, Gingrich is the favorite in the Sunshine State. Yes, Romney has the financial advantage. Yes, he has been on the air with ads for weeks. Yes, there has been early voting in Florida under way for weeks, during which time Romney’s air of inevitability will have given him an edge. But Florida is a closed primary, the first contest so far in which only registered Republicans are allowed to cast ballots. And the state’s GOP voters are far more conservative and anti-Establishment than many people understand. This is especially true in the panhandle of northern Florida, where Gingrich is likely to take up residence for much of the time between now and the vote on January 31. But watch for Gingrich to play hard for the state’s Hispanic voters — and not just the Cuban-Americans who are thick on the ground in South Florida but also the polyglot Latino population around Orlando — by emphasizing his stance on immigration, which is notably more moderate than Romney’s. Between all this and the wave of momentum and free media coverage he’ll enjoy coming out of South Carolina, the former speaker, I think, has the upper hand, though not by a lot…

“If Gingrich wins Florida, the Republican Establishment is going to have a meltdown that makes Three Mile Island look like a marshmallow roast. Why? Because the Establishment will be staring down the barrel of two utterly unpalatable choices. On the one hand, Gingrich’s national favorable-unfavorable ratings of 26.5 and 58.6 percent, respectively make him not just unelectable against Obama but also mean that he would likely be a ten-ton millstone around the necks of down-ballot Republican candidates across the country. And on the other, Romney has shown in two successive contests—one in a bellwether Republican state, the other in a key swing state—an inability to beat his deeply unpopular rival. If this scenario unfolds, the sound of GOP grandees whispering calls for a white knight, be it Indiana governor Mitch Daniels (who, conveniently, is delivering the Republican response to Obama’s State of the Union address on Tuesday night) or Wisconsin congressman Paul Ryan or even Jeb Bush, will be deafening.”

***

“The buzz in Washington now is that the Republican Establishment fears Gingrich will cause them to lose the House and not get the Senate. Put another way, the current Republican leadership fears that the man who helped the GOP take back the House for the first time in 40 years and his allies in the tea party who helped take back the House in 2010 will cause the GOP to now lose.

“They’ll lose alright — they’ll lose power to others. That’s their real fear.”

***

“Were Gingrich to pull off an upset in Florida, the concern among GOP elites now would immediately become something closer to unadulterated panic. The grumbling about Romney would turn into the start of a Dump Mitt campaign.

“But Romney backers say not to worry.

“‘He’s going to win Florida,’ assured Pawlenty.”

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

“Apparently, South Carolinians would rather have the emotional satisfaction of a snotty remark toward the president than to beat Obama in the fall.”

***

Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7 8 9

Yes, I’m new. I was drawn to reading HotAir because all of the commenters were so careful with their spelling, grammar and punctuation, unlike some of the other sites. For awhile it got kind of sloppy, so I was wondering if I could go to the Ace of Spades site and mention it, hoping it would get back to you guys. When I went there, I was afraid to comment at all, so I thought I was beaten, and then they had open registration here! The only problem is that now the original commenters’ spelling, etc., looks really good compared to some of the new people, so I don’t feel I should even mention it.

Enough about me, is there an answer or were you just stringing Mr. or (Dr.) Peterman along?

Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 1:11 AM

That is an amazing story. Ace of Spades usually leaves me feeling nauseated and ashamed on the behalf of his commenters, so I very seldom ever go there. The name of “my” condition is multiple system atrophy. It’s a degenerative neurological disorder. And I was stringing along Igor, actually.

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Next time you drive down I-77 towards the Walnut Creek/Sugar Creek area get a couple of Amish pies and they will make that cake lie, lie, lie.

RickB on January 23, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I know that area well. You live nearby?

GrannyDee on January 23, 2012 at 1:20 AM

The underlying seething anger against Obama AND the RNC is unlike anything I’ve ever seen.

Flora Duh on January 23, 2012 at 1:13 AM

If I were Romney I would never have let people like Sununu, etc., publicly endorse me. If they wanted to do so, I would have asked them to wait on it.

I’m amazed the GOP top didn’t understand the grassroots better.

(And I sincerely hope the end of 2012 and 2013 will be the end of the damage Obama has done to many lives).

INC on January 23, 2012 at 1:20 AM

We could take Jazz Shaw’s tip and wrap the bacon around some scrapple.

katy the mean old lady on January 23, 2012 at 1:13 AM

scrapple rules. Not sure what it is made of but boy is it good.

SparkPlug on January 23, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Still drowning my sorrow over Oscar.

katy the mean old lady on January 23, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Dire wouldn’t listen…

Gohawgs on January 23, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Actually Rush doesn’t play clips from MSNBC much. He has a policy on that, b/c he knows they need him to survive.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Do I come across as a Rush SuperFan?

Because I am. :)

W’hahahahahaha.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I am an entirely YouTube-trained neurosurgeon. Did a Google rotation once though. And yes, cleanliness is next to godliness, or at the very least “lack of dirt”.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Is that more prestigious than a med school in the tropics? I have a friend who went to school at Ross which used to be on Grenada…

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I love to have a job where I could just talk trash about Democrats all day and get paid for it. And make lots of money for it.

I’m good at trash talk.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I’m amazed the GOP top didn’t understand the grassroots better.

INC on January 23, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Unfortunately it’s Romney who doesn’t understand the grassroots better. He comes across as a mildy autistic, highly intelligent person who just can’t connect because it hurts inside to connect. Sununu in South Caroline, that’s like proclaiming himself to be a proud Yankee or something, just plain stupid.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:24 AM

So, I’m sitting here thinking that if the nominating process goes to Super Tuesday in Ohio (March 6) maybe we N.E. Ohioans can meet up and watch the results come in.

Then again, maybe I live in La-La-Land.

GrannyDee on January 23, 2012 at 1:24 AM

scrapple rules. Not sure what it is made of but boy is it good.

SparkPlug on January 23, 2012 at 1:20 AM

There are some things it is better not to know. Just enjoy it.

katy the mean old lady on January 23, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I know that area well. You live nearby?

GrannyDee on January 23, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I’m from Mansfield, but living in TX, allergic to the snow and cold.

RickB on January 23, 2012 at 1:25 AM

What is the difference b/t a grassroots conservative and a conservative?

It seems like Allahpundit is fond of referring to conservatives as grassroots conservatives. I sense it’s kind of a putdown.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I’m from Mansfield, but living in TX, allergic to the snow and cold.

RickB on January 23, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Lucky, lucky you. You’re missing out on quite the cold weather and snow right now.

GrannyDee on January 23, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Norm!..:)

Dire Straits on January 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I never heard any conservative self identify as a grassroots conservative.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM

He would have to get Obama off the ticket first, that’s the hard part. Otherwise he’d just do it.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I was listening to Rush the day he was talking about Doug Schoen and Pat Caddell writing an open letter about that. I got the impression none of them had any real experience with getting rid of someone you didn’t want in your life anymore. They went about it all wrong, asking Obama to think about the good of the country. Yeah, right, that would be uppermost in Obama’s mind.

Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:23 AM

MUCH more prestigious. At least I don’t say “Ya Mahn” when someone asks me if they are gonna die, and I don’t play reggae during surgery.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:28 AM

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Hello..Hope you and the family are doing well..:)

PS..I tried to tell you this 3 times last night on the SC voting thread and never got your attention..:)

Dire Straits on January 23, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Which part of my statement?

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:09 AM

The excited part.. u know… when u …ah u know..

jollybird on January 23, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Asking Obama to think about the good of the country is like asking a child molester to think about the good of the children.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM

You don’t get that it’s faux bombast? It seems so obvious to me. I guess i’m more perceptive than most.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:11 AM

I take it as a kind of humor. The only part I don’t like about him is his compulsiveness about playing any clips that mention him. That does get annoying.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I know he exaggerates for effect, but it’s still tedious.

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:09 AM

The excited part.. u know… when u …ah u know..

jollybird on January 23, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Whew…I was worried it was the unoriginal mind part.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I can’t wait to see some more Angry Mitt on the stump and at the debate. :-)

Punchenko on January 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Dire wouldn’t listen…

Gohawgs on January 23, 2012 at 1:21 AM

ahhh..If the glove doesn’t fit you must acquit..:)

Dire Straits on January 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Hello..Hope you and the family are doing well..:)

Dire Straits on January 23, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I replied to you once, but it was like being swept along in a raging river of comments! :-D

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM

LOL I always thought: why not just ask someone for the recipe? How obscure could it be?

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM

That’s the only part of MacArthur Park’s lyrics I do understand, ironically. He obviously lost the girl, and his ability to recreate the chemistry, the recipe, that brought them together from the beginning is gone. And, no one else, really, could ever have the recipe for that. Hence, he’ll “never have that recipe again.”

A complex or ridiculous song, depending on your vantage point. But, as the current occupants of the White House might say, “Let them eat cake, even if someone left the cake out in the rain, the sweet green icing flowing down.”

TXUS on January 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Gee..This is an interesting QOTD..:)

Dire Straits on January 23, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Hey Dire ; ) Thought I’d swing back by here and drop this off for you. From my teen years. Its long but its a classic. If Cindy Munford swings in she might dig it to : )

Bmore on January 23, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I applaud Rush for what he does, but his bombast grates on my nerves.

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Would I lose my HA commenting privileges if I admit that I’ve never listened to an entire Rush or Mark Levine show?

I’ve got Meniere’s disease and their loud tone is more than my ears can handle.

Flora Duh on January 23, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Punchenko on January 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Actually that would help him..IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on January 23, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I also can’t wait to see Angry T-Paw who will accompany Angry Mitt on the How Dare They Deny Me the Crown Tour. :-)

Punchenko on January 23, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I know he exaggerates for effect, but it’s still tedious.

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM

He could do a little less of that. But he is the only host I can listen to and not think that he is just repeating something completely obvious.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:33 AM

There are some things it is better not to know. Just enjoy it.

katy the mean old lady on January 23, 2012 at 1:25 AM

LOL yup!

Flora Duh on January 23, 2012 at 1:34 AM

to=too or also

Bmore on January 23, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Where are all the Romney fans tonight? Out fighting for Capitalism?

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Punchenko on January 23, 2012 at 1:33 AM

What’s in it for T-Paw? I don’t see him being the VP if Romney wins.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Well MSNBC is mentioned all the time. It seems like a symbiotic relationship: the mention/attack him, he mentions/counterattacks, and so it goes.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Well, I must confess to being a little disappointed. Schadenfreude is now backtracking on the whole Igor SUNY video bit. So you didn’t really save that man who lost the ability to sweat because he had a tumor in a really tricky part of his brain with a complicated surgical procedure delivering him safely back to the bosom of his loving wife and ten children? That really wasn’t you? In that case, I’m going to have to rescind my whole comment about you deserving cake. It was predicated on that heroic act, I’m afraid.

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM

According to Ann Coulter and others, Romney didn’t just work at bain capital to make money for himself.

He did it to promote Capitalism and Free Markets.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Actually that would help him..IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on January 23, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I’m sure there will be a lot of shoulder grabbing, pleas for Anderson, super denials, and the “It’s my turn to talk, OK! OK!?” followed by awkward facial expressions and robotic torso turns.

Political comedy at its absolute finest. :-)

Punchenko on January 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM

What’s in it for T-Paw? I don’t see him being the VP if Romney wins.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Secretary of Milquestoast.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I’ve got Meniere’s disease and their loud tone is more than my ears can handle.

Flora Duh on January 23, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I don’t even have Meniere’s disease and their voices make me feel like I’m going to get a migraine. Which I had planned to ask Igor about, but now that I know he’s just a fraud, what is the point?

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I guess when I make the long haul to work in the morning, I’m not thinking that I’m Defending Capitalism by just going to work. It’ smore about putting food on the table.

But Romney working at Bain, that was a Testimony to Capitalism.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Yes, as you can tell, my life is so full! Not to nitpick, but I don’t believe the above (referenced in bold) word was needed in that sentence, but I do agree with the sentiment. Now that you mention it, I did watch the whole dang video, and just about every person on there said Igor. Oops! And now I see that Mr. Schadenfreude admits the whole thing was a joke.

Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM

But I once saved a man who lost the ability to sweat by suggesting he should take off his jacket.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Flora Duh on January 23, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I read Rush’s transcripts. I wish Levin did that.

INC on January 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM

TXUS on January 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Yeah, I got that it was metaphorical, but seriously, who would leave a cake out in the rain? That is messed up.

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Coulter makes a big deal out of Romney being a “turn around expert” with Bain, big selling point for him beign president, but is Mass really better off b/c of ROmney? RomneyCare was a disaster, a fiscal boondoggle. Is that the kind of turn around we need right now?

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Sunday was Mitt Meltdown Sunday, so will tonight Mitt Manic Monday

RickB on January 23, 2012 at 1:42 AM

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:38 AM

JUST a fraud? I am THE KING of frauds, the ULTIMATE fraud, the very best fraud in the world. Calling me “just a fraud” is like calling Obama “not very patriotic” or Newt “slightly self-promoting”, or Mitt “sometimes awkward in social settings”.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:43 AM

“It’s just another Manic Mitt Monday, wish it were Sunday, that’s my Meltdown day” Romney

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I read Rush’s transcripts. I wish Levin did that.

INC on January 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Thanks, I’ll have to remember that. I saw Levin on Hannity the other night, I couldn’t believe how subdued his TV voice was compared to his radio voice.

Flora Duh on January 23, 2012 at 1:44 AM

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I know what you mean..It can get pretty crazy..I hope all is well!..:)

Dire Straits on January 23, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Whew…I was worried it was the unoriginal mind part.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM

No, you are quite original, in a simplistic way, but very irritating. You critic without a knowledge of history… simple sayings. Like Newt sat on a couch with Nancy…YaDa YaDa YaDa…

jollybird on January 23, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I agree. I think they should pay someone in Kenya to offer him a job as their king. It would be cheaper than what he’s costing us now.

Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I would, I prefer pie. Strawberry Rhubarb and then Blackberry in preference.

RickB on January 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM

jollybird on January 23, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I see. I just wasn’t privy to the exacting negotiations that led to this important meeting of the speakers.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM

They are not crazy enough in Kenya to accept him and face total destruction. Plus he hasn’t proven conclusively he was born there.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Mitt should strike an alliance with Ron Paul. Paul could be VP and the agenda would be leaving Afghanistan, cutting spending and growing the economy. That would crush all comers including Newt and Obama.

echosyst on January 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

He did it to promote Capitalism and Free Markets.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I was told that Mitt Romney traveled the fruited plain spreading the gospel of Adam Smith while working at Bain Capital. He was the Johnny Appleseed of free market capitalism and planted the seeds of economic freedom (until he became governor of MA, of course, which is something we’re not allowed to discuss.)

Punchenko on January 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

TXUS on January 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM

It’s one of those songs that at some points you just listen to how the words and music sound together and don’t try to grasp what the words mean.

I know words are supposed to be put together for coherent meaning, but it was a 60s song after all so clear meaning was optional. :)

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Newt left Romney’s cake out in the rain and all the green icing is melting down.

INC on January 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I’ve got to say, this is one of the most civil QOTD threads I’ve seen in quite a while. Very enjoyable. Though I did notice canopfor is missing, hope everything’s ok.

Time for me to call it a night.

Goodnight all.

Flora Duh on January 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Bmore on January 23, 2012 at 1:32 AM

That is good stuff..I am going to try a little different tack.Just my mood…Here is a classic folk song IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on January 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Not to nitpick, but shouldn’t you have told him to put his jacket on?

Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Wow, here’s something strange, the temp here has dropped 30 degrees in the last few hours. I just stepped outside before turning in, and all the birds are chirping loudly. We are supposed to get some wicked storms tonight. Any of you ever had the birds chirping wildly like that in the middle of the night? I’m being serious.

Bmore on January 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

TXUS on January 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I like that interpretation—never understood the song but thought it wasn’t all that bad.

Last night someone was talking about Obama’s first girlfriend—a blowup doll. When she was left out too long in the California sun and melted I wonder if he felt the same profound sense of loss as that referred to in the song?

arnold ziffel on January 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:43 AM

It’s like I don’t even know you at all. Are you even Russian? Are you even named Igor? Do you even live in a bunker in Phoenix? My mind is just spinning. I feel like I’m living Inception.

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Mitt went off the rails today in a rally. Newt will actually defend and bite back. Romney cant do that

Flapjackmaka on January 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

echosyst on January 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

He should since that would be the signal to everyone that Mitt is finished and the Establishment — his only supporters — have all abandoned him. I could get behind the Romney/Paul truce 110%.

Punchenko on January 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Punchenko on January 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Well Team Romney has lost the wind..So let’s see if they tack in a different direction..A serious defense or as you say..robitic response..:)

Dire Straits on January 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Not to nitpick, but shouldn’t you have told him to put his jacket on?

Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Well you see he was hot, so even without his ability to sweat, putting the jacket on would have made him even hotter. But this is a very technical medical point and I don’t feel comfortable discussing it with anyone but experienced professional. If you are one, than I don’t feel comfortable because I am a self-admitted fraud in this area.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I feel like I’m living Inception.

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

When you wake up you will be at Newt’s inauguration while loud Hans Zimmerman music plays all around you.

Punchenko on January 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Time for me to call it a night.

Goodnight all.

Flora Duh on January 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Sweetie Primary Dreams!

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Flora Duh on January 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM

G’night.

INC on January 23, 2012 at 1:54 AM

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I am what I am and that’s all that I am.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Bmore on January 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Sounds like a documentary I saw the other evening on what it was like right before the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D., but I wouldn’t worry about it? BTW, you don’t live anywhere near me, do you?

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Bmore on January 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Are the cows huddle under one tree, because if they are a storm is a coming. At least thats the old wives tale.

RickB on January 23, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Dire Straits on January 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM

You just HAD to bring up Mitt’s tax returns, didn’t ya?…

Gohawgs on January 23, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Then I got nothin’.

Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I am what I am and that’s all that I am.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM

So, what? Now you’re freaking Popeye the Sailor Man?

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Punchenko on January 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM

LOL!

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:57 AM

So, what? Now you’re freaking Popeye the Sailor Man?

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I am Lord Shiva, the creator of worlds, and the destroyer of worlds. My dance is what led to all you see around it, and my greatness is eternal.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Punchenko on January 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Hah, that was what I was aiming for, you did it better than I could.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Dire Straits on January 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Dire. I love Chapin. Dire I don’t mean to freak you out with this. But the night before he died I had just made a portrait of him for pre release and p.r. on a new project upcoming. He wrecked the next day and was killed. Nice guy, you would be happy to know. I hope not to give away to much here but I had to tell you.

Bmore on January 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Not to nitpick
Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Not to nitpick
Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I must now caution you that sadly, if you do indeed nitpick once more, you will be forever remembered as “Night Owl, that Nitpicking New Person.”

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Then I got nothin’.

Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 1:56 AM

You’ve got Newt. Newt will destroy him in the Lincoln-Douglas debates and the world will be fine ever after.

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Nite All!

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Let me use a little trick that Ann Coulter did when she was too scared to just come out and say she didn’t like Palin.

I’m not against Romney, it’s his fans that I find so annoying.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM

So you know my real name, you know the name of the town I live in and you know (approximately)how old I am. That is so manifestly unfair that I will probably have to deal you the cut direct if you do not at least tell me at least one true thing about yourself. That true thing must be this: what is your true profession? By which I mean, what do you actually do to earn a living?

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM

You might want to hope not. I’m in Ga.

Bmore on January 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Nite All!

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Not so fast, buster.

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM

You just HAD to bring up Mitt’s tax returns, didn’t ya?…

Gohawgs on January 23, 2012 at 1:56 AM

LoLz..Good one..:)

PS..I am a pretty big Chapin fan..Grew up listening to him ..:)

Dire Straits on January 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM

You might want to hope not. I’m in Ga.

Bmore on January 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM

No volcanoes in Georgia! Right?

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM
cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 1:59 AM

LOL!

alwaysfiredup on January 23, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Igor R. on January 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Well, you kind of sound like some of my doctors because that first sentence made no sense and then you tried to cover yourself by trying to make me feel that I’m just not smart enough to understand. You may not be a doctor now, but you might want to look into it as a new career.

Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Night Owl on January 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Some of your doctors? Are you ill?

cynccook on January 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Bmore on January 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Very interesting story..:)

PS..Chapin was a very talented songwriter..IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on January 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM

You might want to hope not. I’m in Ga.

Bmore on January 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I’m in western MO and we’ve had the strangest weather the past 24 hours, changing almost 60 degrees net.

You’re welcome.