Mitt Romney: evitable?

posted at 11:15 am on January 22, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

After leading in polling in South Carolina for the last couple of weeks, Mitt Romney got badly beaten in the Palmetto State by Newt Gingrich yesterday, wh was fueled by two dynamic debate performances, especially with a big attack on the national media in the second.  The scope of the defeat — by 12-13 points — left Romney with no delegates from this primary [see update II], as Gingrich won every Congressional district in the state.  Sarah Palin called Newt Gingrich the new front-runner, and while that’s an understandable spot reaction, it’s a stretch at best.

Gingrich did a terrific job in South Carolina.  It’s worth noting that Romney won the same percentage of the vote (27%) that polls showed him having two weeks ago when he led 27/24 over Rick Santorum.  Gingrich won by firing up nearly everyone else and getting 40% of the vote in South Carolina.  That was an amazing accomplishment, all the more so because it mainly resulted from the two televised debates, and despite as well as because of the attack from Gingrich’s second former wife Marianne.

How did that happen?  Thanks to that confluence of events, personal performance, and a couple of stumbles by Romney in the debates, Gingrich tapped into the lingering dissatisfaction of conservatives with Romney, fear of losing any chance of stopping Romney, and anger against the national media.  This was an emotional sale, not primarily based on policy choices, which haven’t changed in months on either side.  His big win will spark hope that Romney can be beat in the primaries, and the scope of that win will impact the Florida race, certainly.

However, it’s probably not a gamechanger, at least not on its own.  Florida comes next, and it has a lot more delegates at stake.  It’s less conservative than South Carolina, and it’s a much bigger state geographically as well as in population.  Romney has a much stronger organization in Florida than Gingrich or anyone else; Ron Paul won’t even contest it, he announced last night.  At least 200,000 ballots have already been cast in Florida, which will give Romney a big boost.  Furthermore, the emotional peak in South Carolina that fueled Gingrich’s rise will dissipate quickly in Florida, unless another big controversy arises that gives Gingrich an opportunity to blast the media, and Romney belatedly moved to defuse the tax-return issue this morning.  At that point, voters in more moderate Florida will go back to looking at Gingrich’s record and his past, which is what killed his last boomlet in mid-December.

The schedule is another big problem for Gingrich.  First, as Gingrich even mentioned in his victory speech last night, his campaign coffers aren’t exactly overflowing at the moment, and the pace is about to change.  The week after Florida, five states have primaries or caucuses (two of which are non-binding), and the lack of resources will make it difficult for Gingrich to compete simultaneously.  Three weeks later, Arizona and Michigan hold their primaries on the same day, which means that Gingrich will probably only be able to energetically compete in one of those two states, and Michigan is already Romney country.  The very next week, ten states hold their contests, including Gingrich’s home state of Virginia, where Gingrich’s lack of organization resulted in failure to make the ballot.  Romney’s big advantage in organization hasn’t even begun to play out in this race, but it’s going to be huge in February and March.

That doesn’t mean Romney has it sewn up, either.  Instead of Florida being a coronation, it’s now a survival state for Romney.  Losing South Carolina will undermine confidence in Romney’s ability to close the deal, especially by getting beaten so badly by Gingrich, who was third in polling two weeks ago and finished fourth and fifth in Iowa and New Hampshire, respectively.  If Romney struggles in Florida, Gingrich might not need a lot of organization in the following couple of weeks to start winning races, no matter how many resources Romney throws at those states.  Adam Smith reminds us that Romney outspent and outorganized John McCain in 2008 in Florida and still lost the state after losing South Carolina, but Romney had also lost New Hampshire to McCain.

The biggest outcome from yesterday is that Mitt Romney looks surprisingly evitable, while Newt Gingrich looks surprisingly credible.  The odds are still stacked against a long-shot Gingrich, but he’s no longer a no-shot candidate.

Update: Sean Trende gives Romney a 35% chance of losing the nomination, and offers this warning to Romney:

Simply put, there are very few states where he can perform among the major demographic groups the way he performed in South Carolina and still expect to win. And remember, this is still in many ways the electorate that selected Christine O’Donnell, Carl Paladino and Linda McMahon as its standard-bearers — in very blue states with relatively moderate GOP electorates, no less.

This vote was an utter repudiation of Romney, and it absolutely will be repeated in state after state if something doesn’t change the basic dynamic of the race. It is true that Gingrich doesn’t have funds or organization, but he gets a ton of free media from the debates, and he has an electorate that simply wants someone other than Romney.

That’s not to say that Romney’s money and organization don’t give him advantages — they do. He remains the GOP front-runner, in my view, because it isn’t clear how well Gingrich can survive the long haul. But there’s a not-insubstantial chance, call it 35 percent, that Romney won’t be the nominee.

Poor organization can be fixed, although it’s still pretty unclear whether Gingrich himself can do that.  A poorly-performing candidate is tougher to fix, but also not impossible.

Update II: Actually, Romney ended up with two of the 25 delegates from South Carolina.

Update III: My description of Trende’s odds-making was inaccurate.  He didn’t say Gingrich had a 35% chance of winning the nomination, but that Romney had a 35% chance of losing it.   At the moment, that sounds like the same thing, but it’s not exactly what Sean said.  I’ve changed it above.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8 9

Oh, yeah, I forgot….Newt supporters don’t care about that family values stuff.

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM

They REALLY don’t, Priscilla….that is obvious…justv like they really don’t care about all the other baggage….Federal mandate, Nancy Pelosi, Freddie/Fannie,…..and on and on,,,,,and on.

jibjab75 on January 22, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Apparently it doesn’t matter how immoral a man is, how corrupt, how egomaniacal, how manipulative and underhanded, how far he will go in taking the tactics of the left to attack capitalism,,,etc…

as long as he is a good thespian, and can convincingly deliver the “I’m mad as hell, and I’m not gonna take it anymore!” speech from the movie Network, they will all get a tingle down their leg like Chris Matthews gets, when he hears Obama put on his act.

jibjab75 on January 22, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Seen on Facebook today “Newt’s Family Values: Using your daughters from your first wife to tell the media that your second wife is lying about your third wife”

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 8:29 PM

translation….

a man’s daughters were defending their father.. which is about as family as it gets. Newt’s marriages may be a trainwreck, but to suggest his daughters are cynically letting themselves be “used” is pretty low…

and if someone attacked your morals, with what you say are lies, would you be a despicable person if you had a son or daughter stand up for you? Would you be “using” them?

Children mostly love their parents,.. so I doubt Newt loses points because his girls stood by him, with or without your premission.

mark81150 on January 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Mitt Romney has no tangible record of conservative accomplishments but has occasionally made statements that sound conservative.
Newt Gingrich has a tangible record of conservative accomplishments but has occasionally made statements that don’t sound conservative.

Right Mover on January 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Romney’s record since 1994…6-19. He’s the Detroit Lions of the MA elections.

George Will: “Mitt Romney’s going in trump card was electability. If you go back now to his 1994 senate primary, he’s been in 25 races. His record is six wins and 19 losses. Newt Gingrich won it, it seems at least 43 or 46 counties. He carried women and Evangelical conservative South Carolina. He carried evidently all seven Congressional districts.”

“So here’s what we now know, we all thought the big problem for Romney might be his Mormonism and it might be the Massachusetts healthcare plan. That’s not it. Mitt Romney’s problem is somehow his ‘Romneyness.’ That is the fact that people just are not connecting with him. Not just that he’s the first candidate we’ve ever had from the financial sector, which turns out to be a problem because finances, a, mysterious, and, b, disliked. But there’s something about him that is not connecting.”

Deep Timber on January 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Oh, yeah, I forgot….Newt supporters don’t care about that family values stuff.

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM

A family value is forgiveness. Nobody’s going to want you in their life if you can’t forgive. Nobody likes The Church Lady.

Dr. Tesla on January 22, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 8:29 PM

translation….

mark81150 on January 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Yeah, how dare that Jackie Gingrich Cushman attempt to set the record straight to protect her children from the lies and half-truths being spread about their grandfather.

Flora Duh on January 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM

mark81150 on January 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I swear,you Newties are so damn defensive, and, btw, pretty humorless. The guy is a scumbag, but that wouldn’t really stop me from supporting him, if I thought that he would make a decent president.

But once jokes like this go viral on social media sites and the guy becomes a national joke in the way that Sarah Palin did (don’t flip out now, I love Palin and think that the attacks on her were despicable), Newt’s negatives will go through the ceiling – more so than they already have – and no amount of grandstanding at debates will save him. I saw that Family Values thing 5 times today on FB, in a matter of about 30 minutes….it’s done up like an inspirational poster, with a picture of a very florid, very smug looking Newt. Snark at me all you want, it’s your guy who’s gonna be taken down by this stuff.

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

If all Mitt and his supporters have is that he can beat Obama, then that doesn’t say much about Romney. I mean you can’t even prove it. Hell, he couldn’t even beat McCain.

And people like to say well he can appeal to moderates, but what about appealing to your base? If you think the base is going to turn out for Romney just because he’s the nominee let me just remind you of McCain. This is how important the base is. Take Georgia for example. It is considered a red state, but in 2008, McCain won Georgia by just 5 pts. Now just think if Romney is the nominee and the base doesn’t turnout while Obama once again gets African Americans to turn out in record numbers in Georgia (Atlanta to be more specific). It’s not hard to imagine Obama taking Georgia, and if he does, then it’s definitely over.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Romney is McCain 2.0. except that McCain was an actual war hero. You will have an unenthusiastic base who will not go out there and actively campaign for Romney, and that’s what you need. You need someone who can turnout the base, and Romney can’t do that.

Now this does not mean I like Newt (Palin was my pick) because frankly, Newt and Romney both have major flaws, but at least Newt can debate and excite the base.

And before someone says, well Romney was a Governor and created jobs, let me just remind you while Governor, his state was 47th in job creation.

Gay Conservative Out!!

Stryker83 on January 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Oh, yeah, I forgot….Newt supporters don’t care about that family values stuff.

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM

You know what Prissy dear, you and other Romney supporters can try to guilt me all you want with your bullchit comments like this.

Because the guilt I would feel if I fail my grandchildren and subject them to 4 more years of Obama’s socialist regime, which is what I believe would happen if we nominate Romney, is a much more powerful motivator than any rhetoric you might spew.

Flora Duh on January 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM

And to my post right above this one, I want to give credit to Techno from C4P when it comes to the Georgia statement. I’m pretty sure it was him/her that I read that from a while back. Buth he/she put it in way better terms than I could. Meant to put that in my post but forgot, and I just wanted the credit to go to the right place.

Stryker83 on January 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Hahahahahaha!!!

MTLassen on January 22, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I feel just terrible about upsetting you, sweetie. You make sure to keep supporting Newtie. Oh, he will beat Obama, you just know it!

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Oh, yeah, I forgot….Newt supporters don’t care about that family values stuff.

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM

This is where the real conflict is. This is why there is so much rancor these days–because Gingrich isn’t the good family man that Romney is.

There are a whole lot of people who look at Obama, then look at Romney, then look at Obama, and they can’t quite decide who to vote for because they are both such good family men with cute, photogenic kids and stable marriages. They both exude wholesome decency. To hell with their policies, what about just plain family stuff?

Burke on January 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Oh, yeah, I forgot….Newt supporters don’t care about that family values stuff.

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Like government subsidize abortion and restrictive gun laws? Yeah that Mittens, he is such a cad!

And by cad, I mean family loving freedom values guy…or something.

Olympics! Moose, er Elk!

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I wasn’t a Newt voter, or a Romney one, the one I liked didn’t run, and Bachman never caught on. So I aside from a serious case of disgust with Paul, didn’t have anyone who I was already supporting. What the Mitt voters have been doing, is taking the one candidate who has the stones to take it to Obama, and savagely trashing anyone who votes for him,..you see, Newt’s not only immoral…. but his voters are as well. In fact….

They’re apparently even worse in the eyes of the selfrighteously indignant. I guess you who voted for him, should have just opted for tar and feathers instead, since the ones who are discribing themselves as not socially conservative, sure have their panties in a bunch about a man’s bad marriages.

Hate him all you like, it’s cheap, easy, and expected by your betters in the media.

But no lectures on it being a litmus test on the voters morals as well please. It’s false, and makes it easier to hate you, than Newt. Newt’s flaws are known, well known, as are alot of Mitt’s. Does voting for Mitt also mean you own every one of his faults as well?

It would seem so… doubt they mean it that way.. but if a Newt voter is immoral,.. it makes a Mitt voter equally at risk for Mitt’s every sin and failing, business as well as personal. Don’t think that won’t come back to bite you.

mark81150 on January 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM

[Comment deleted, user banned, subsequent comments deleted as well — Ed]

MTLassen on January 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

To hell with their policies, what about just plain family stuff?

Not at all. Newt is not only a cheating husband, he is a corrupt politician, who was forced to resign the speakership in disgrace. He has some grand ideas, but has really never shown himself to be anything but an impulsive and unpredictable guy. I love his books, I think highly of his intellect, and, until recently, his opinion. But he has bad qualities that outweigh the good. Newties forgive nothing that Romney has ever said or done that offends “true conservatives,” but forget that it was far more recently that your guy was cuddling up to Pelosi and supporting the global warming scam, calling Paul Ryan’s plan “right wing social engineering, and accusing Mitt of being too rich. The family stuff is just small potatoes……..

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Reading comprehension’s not one of your strong suites either I see. Why does that not surprise me.

Flora Duh on January 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

This post is why I cannot and will not support Mitt, the establishment Romney.

He has a really sh$&@y record. Nothing ‘conservative’ about it. He was a politician in a blue state for one term, and he enacted RADICALLY LIBERAL POLICY like romneycare, and he signed gun grabber laws.

The morally reprehensible people that are peddling Romney’s BS this go around are ridiculous. They may have a few rabid commenters here and there on the web, but no one knows a Romney supporter out there in the real world.

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Open wide, chief, there’s a whole lot more of that shaft that seems to be your destiny….

MTLassen on January 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

You are smart because you do what’s popular at any given moment, we get it. Stay classy.

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Reading comprehension’s not one of your strong suites either I see.

Haha, it’s strong SUITS , but I guess vocabulary and spelling are not yours ;)

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Burke on January 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

For years the GOP and media elite along with Northeast Republicans, have been telling conservatives to put social issues on the back burner to win elections, now that they have, because the stakes are too damn high this time, those same elites and Northeast Republicans are calling them hypocrites.

Speaking for myself, they can all STFU, because I’m not listening to them anymore.

Flora Duh on January 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Oh, yeah, I forgot….Newt supporters don’t care about that family values stuff.

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Flora Duh on January 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM

You don’t know if Gingrich is going to win. Is he worth giving up the “family values stuff”?

Gelsomina on January 22, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Haha, it’s strong SUITS , but I guess vocabulary and spelling are not yours ;)

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Oh gee, you caught me. *hangs head in shame* Speaking of which, did you ever reply to this?

Flora Duh on January 22, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Can you be any more of a self-outing fool? I’m not sure that’s possible at this point, but what ev’s.
MTLassen on January 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Thanks for anther post of sound and fury with all it signified. But don’t worry; you are behaving like a smart fellow when you make important decisions based on whatever makes you feel best ant any given moment. Right?

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Do you really, for one solid instant think Romney isn’t going to recieve the exact same FB death by a thousand papercuts?

It hardly matters who we pick, and you know it, the general is already shaping up to be the ugliest one in American history. Obama has a billion lined up to sway the dim and the stupid, as well as his stuck in cement leftwing deadenders.

Newt isn’t “my guy”… and Mitt is a p*ssy who can’t say anything un-nice about Obama..

You watch in three months, and see if the FB posts about Mitt aren’t even more savage.

You’re kidding yourself,.. Mitt can’t fight like he has too,.. but Newt, flaws and all will grab a broken beer bottle..

I like that in him… as do many others.. and I wasn’t snarking,.. it’s the truth, no man will loose a vote to another because his kids still love him. I find their opinion in this, more valuable than some anymous FB poster who won’t vote R anyway.

mark81150 on January 22, 2012 at 9:56 PM

[Comment deleted, user banned for threats and trolling — Ed]

jibjab75 on January 22, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Are you drunk? I mean, that would make some sense…the only sense…. Lol!

MTLassen on January 22, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Shocked that you didn’t understand! Maybe it’s your role in life to just follow whomever is cheering loudest. Did you get rid of your Cain posters yet? Or did you just tack Perry up over them and then tack Newt over those?

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Okay, I’m game: You ARE drunk.

MTLassen on January 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Come on Fredo, Assert your analytical skills by running with the herd, then brag about it online..

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Maybe Romenytard can make the next little league world series profitable.

That would be a task more suited for him.

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I miss Reagan…….

at least when they told us he was immoral for being divorced, you knew it was less than a classy take down from the Ford partisans. One they weren’t serious about anyway.. Now, it’s as likely to be a Paul troll, or a Santorum hopeful, as well as a Mitt scorched earth type. You never know for certain if the attack is a genuine morality concern, or just a business is business attack.

Reagan was the one,.. a 900lb. gorilla surrounded by pygmies.

Never see another like him these days,.. unless he’s still shaking the dirt of Afghanistan off his boots, otherwise occupied. I just don’t know any who could fill that role today.. does anyone?

mark81150 on January 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I mean, given his proclivities for turning games into monies, as opposed to solving state’s fiscal problems.

A dash of subsidized child sacrifice may do for the one term abortion subsidizer.

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Maybe Romenytard can make the next little league world series profitable.

That would be a task more suited for him.

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM

As opposed to pimping global warming with Nancy Pelosi… Oh but wait, he asked forgiveness.

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Mitt Romney, YOUR MAN IN GOVERNMENT, institutionalized government subsidized abortion.

He has contributed to the slaughter of children paid for by taxpayers.

You own it.

Wiggle, reprobate.

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM

F*#@*$ I find you people so despicable.
*spit.

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM

abortion is conservative!~mitttard

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

So says the vicious “inevitable” establican Mittite. Hahahahaha!!!! You can’t make this sh@t up! Keep going, drunkety-drunk! Beauty is skin-deep, but stupid is to the bone….keep ‘em coming, brilliant. I likey!

MTLassen on January 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Amazingly enough, you still don’t get it, huh Fredo. You just want respect because you are smart, Right? That bandwagon doing it for you?

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

mark81150 on January 22, 2012 at 9:56 PM

This. We could be running Mother Theresa and The NY Slimes would have a cover story of how she slept with the football team.

And then two weeks later print a retraction on page 46.

And the rubes would buy it because ***IT’S THE NY TIMES*** they wouldn’t lie would they??

We can’t worry about the media or what’s going to be said. We know what they’re going to do. We can only worry about what we’re going to do about it and fight back.

The fact that Gingrich is willing to break that bottle and fight back goes a long way, maybe more than it should. It’s a lot more comforting than knowing that Romney will just take it.

We’ve been taking it for so long that when someone comes along who won’t it covers up a lot of other sins, rightly or wrongly.

kim roy on January 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Even though that’s untrue, you are a compelling argument for abortion….up to the 5000th trimester.

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Over 1000 years eh?

Is that how long todays taxpayers will be paying for today’s Romneycare?

F*#(*# you people are STUPID.

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Olympics and Elk, that is all I have heard about Romney.

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Time for you to take the gloves off, Mitt. Rick S. has already started punching. You’re going to have to put the Mormon elder nice guy on ice for a while if you want to get anywhere.

Philly on January 22, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I love this myth that Romney hasn’t been running negative ads. He started the whole negative ad thing in Iowa. He’s sent a cake over to Gignrich’s campaign HQ in SC as for the 15th anniversary of Newt’s ethics violations that weren’t true. This guy always a jerk behind the scenes but he gets away with it b/c he sells you a choir boy image.

Dr. Tesla on January 22, 2012 at 6:58 PM

It’s time for him to be a bully in public while the cameras are on. It’s worked wonders for Newt’s polls numbers.

Philly on January 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Mitt needs to release a 59 point plan to save the world

davemason2k on January 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Over 1000 years eh?

I know you are a petulant boy with the mentality of a 12 year old, but I wanted to keep my bases covered.

F*#(*# you people are STUPID.

I’m not the one in the process of p1$sing away the best chance of getting rid of Obama. Is the country worth your little tantrum?

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Why do I get the sense that the majority of people who support Newt will vote for Romney if he is the nominee, but the majority of rabid Romney supports won’t vote for Gingrich?..I lot like Ronatrons or Obamatrons..

Mimzey on January 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM

mark81150 on January 22, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Or Newt will melt again.

Here’s Mark Steyn:

In 2007 John Kerry found himself booked for a debate with Gingrich on climate change and had his speechwriters prepare some boilerplate about Newt’s “marching in lockstep with the climate-change deniers.” Unfortunately for him, the former Speaker spoke first and announced that man-made global warming was a real threat that we needed to address “very actively.” He praised as “a very interesting read” Kerry’s unreadable book on the subject, and for good measure added that he was “very worried about polar bears” because “my name ‘Newt’ actually comes from the Danish ‘Knut,’ and there’s been a major crisis in Germany over a polar bear named ‘Knut.’”

So much for the broken beer bottle.

Gelsomina on January 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I know you are a petulant boy

Female thanks!

with the mentality of a 12 year old

Not a Romney supporter :/

, but I wanted to keep my bases covered.

Lowest common denominator…

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Romney is a joke, a sick joke, a trustfund kid that aligned himself with republicans while advocating EVERYTHING democrat.

I really hope you are getting paid for your idiocy, because it makes my stalwart defense against your destruction ofthe country more noble.

Continue to defend Romney’s pro-abortion stance BTW.

You sick #*$%*#

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM

MTLassen

Have a nice evening now, beta, knowing you’ve been owned

You don’t own anything that your parents didn’t give you, child.

You have no facts, thus you lie.

You were wrong and call whatever you don’t want to see a lie. It’s an infantile way of not being forced to recognize reality. It’s what baby’s do when they see something scary, they turn away and pretend it doesn’t exist. I can post all the links in the world and you are too much of a child to look at them.

You have no persuasive argument, thus you demagogue.

Add “demagogue” to “apologist” in the list of words you don’t know how to use. Maybe you can ask one of your fellow riders in the bandwagon to Obama 2012 to explain it to you.

Democrat, in fact and message.

I’m not the on re-electing Obama, idiot. You are.

And now…….. you are non-existent. Poof!

Like I wrote, infantile. Pretend it doesn’t exist if you don’t want to see it… But I’m still typing, aren’t I?

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM

These leftist Romney supporters are disgusting. No base, no morals, no convictions, just pure political career advancement.

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Mimzey on January 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Funny you should mention that. I came across this last night at Rasmussen.

…The conventional wisdom suggests that tea party supporters have a “my way or the highway” attitude and Establishment Republicans just want a winner, but the data shows that the opposite is true.

Looking ahead to the Florida primary, 94 percent of tea party Republicans say they will vote for whomever wins the GOP nomination. Only 77 percent of non-tea party Republicans are willing to make the same pledge. This commitment to party loyalty comes even though tea party activists are less convinced than others that Romney is the strongest general election candidate. Similar results have been found in survey after survey in the 2012 primary season…

Flora Duh on January 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Female thanks!

Thanks for not claiming to be a lady.

Not a Romney supporter :/

Who was it last week?

Lowest common denominator

I don’t just hop on the next trend. …

He is the electable alternative to disaster. We have an existential threat facing this country and his name is Obama. He has presided over a 15 trillion dollar debt and an expansion of government that would have given LBJ pause.

No one pays me to post here. You are corresponding to someone who loves the USA and has done hs best to sevre it. Including pointing out what a scumbag Gingrich is.

Continue to defend Romney’s pro-abortion stance BTW.

Here you go..

You sick #*$%*#

Stay classy, lady.

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Wow, good job retard.

…our system is doomed with these retards voting.. UGH!@

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Re Fredo..

Yep. I swing from depressed to amused by that crap.

Depressed? Just hop on another bandwagon. Because feeling good is better then reasoning..

…. establican a55holes who seem to think their idea of government, “guy who can get elected”, is better than something else.

Yeah, because actually getting elected isn’t part of the process.

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Wow, good job retard.

…our system is doomed with these retards voting.. UGH!@

tom daschle concerned on January 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Another brilliant deconstruction of my argument and carefully constructed, point by point rebuttal from the Gingrich brownshirts! Oh wait, it was just another petulant ad hominem attack that completely ignores the issue. Yeah, that will win in the general.

V7_Sport on January 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Uh oh! Gingrich takes lead in new Florida Poll.

Linky

bgibbs1000 on January 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Best reason to believe that Mitt Romney is the only electable Republican in 2012:

Mitt’s sweeping, masterful defeat of Newt Gingrich (the disastrously unelectable alternative) in the recent South Carolina primary, especially the impressive plurality Mitt ran up with voters whose number-one expressed priority was finding a candidate who can defeat Barack Obama.

Oh, wait …

RedPepper on January 22, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Why is Romney still in this race?

Deep Timber on January 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM

It’s amazing Ann Coulter is attacking South Carolina voters as acting like Democrats b/c they voted against Romney. Hah!

Dr. Tesla on January 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I can see a very partisan SOTU speech on Tuesday being the perfect opportunity for Newt to go John King on POTUS. Florida could likely be a Gingrich 20+ victory over Romney.

Deep Timber on January 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Deep Timber on January 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I can already see the whining at National Review and elswhere.

They act like it’s unfair Gingrich is criticizing the media to help sell Gingrich. Romney’s free to do it too.

Dr. Tesla on January 22, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Ann Coulter and her suspicious adams apple need to exit stage left.

Typhonian on January 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Maybe this is a crazy thought, but maybe Mitt should start denying that he is the “establishment” candidate?

tkyang99 on January 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I used to listen to Ann Coulter a half a dozen years ago…mostly just listen and once in awhile agree with her. But for the past 3-4 years she’s become unbearable to watch and hear. And that’s a shame because she stopped calling ‘em the way she saw it. I see the same thing happening to Brit Hume–used to appreciate his take on all things political but over past 12 months Hume is just a biased Beltway establishment mouth. A real shame.

Deep Timber on January 22, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Insulting SC voters and the tea party crowd isn’t going to get her anywhere.

She overrated her ability to influence voters. I think a lot of pundits do this. She can’t control voters anymore than she can control the weather so why go so deep into the tank for Romney? Let him win it if he’s the man. Why damage yourself in the process when you won’t change very many minds?

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Personal foibles and scandals from the past are political issues if they are a pattern. George Bush was a raging alcoholic up until 1986 when he quit. If he did not drink after 1986 then it should not be an issue in 2000, which it was not. Gingrich was a lying slime bag and serial philanderer in the 1980s and 1990s but he says he has changed based on religious conversion. If that is true and he has not engaged in that behavior since marrying his third wife then it is less of an issue. This is different from Bill Clinton who raped and attacked women, dropping his pants whenever alone with a woman as late as 1991, a year before the election, that means his past behavior did not change and obviously continued into his presidency. That is how Newt is different.

Smedley on January 23, 2012 at 12:32 AM

When Romney loses in Florida – the Newtron Bomb will be complete. The Nomination will be over.

rgrovr on January 23, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Reading comprehension’s not one of your strong suites either I see.
Haha, it’s strong SUITS , but I guess vocabulary and spelling are not yours ;)

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Wow! So here I am on Hot Air…trying to get away from all the liberals I talk to during the day, who always refer to something else when they are losing an argument…and here we have another one using the ‘grammar game’! Hahahahahahahahah! Oh look over there- it’s a squirrel!… Oh hey! You spelled ‘lobotomy’ wrong…Your sentence structure sucks!…
Oh! You don’t know how to link or how to strike (typical lib) …meanwhile…..

KOOLAID2 on January 23, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Is anyone else totally surprised at how poorly Romney is at campaigning? Yeah, money and hired flesh can lead to compliments of being “organized”. However, I’m talking about the hitting all 99 counties in Iowa. The willingness to stay after your speech and answer every Q during the Q & A in NH. Being “organized” isn’t going to win the nomination alone. Limitless $ won’t either. Governor, you have to put in the time and effort to EARN it from the American people. Perhaps it’s Romney’s uneasiness with his liberal and moderate positions that drive him away from the voters on the trail– a divide that voters can see on your face in person or on TV.

Deep Timber on January 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I used to like her! Like Newt is now going back at the media…she would go after the liberals.
Now she’s getting on my nerves with everything.
I’m ready to walk on the next set she is on to put her hair in a pony tail, so she doesn’t have to brush it back with her hand 50 times during one conversation!

KOOLAID2 on January 23, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Remember in Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec everyone saying Romney was the best debater? Polished. Presidential. At ease. Safe. Post-debate praise for Romney was usually finished off with “and Gingrich did well too. Had the best, most thorough comments during his limited debate role”. Bloggers were complaining that the debates were boring and numbered too many. Fact is, all these debates have proven invaluable (88% in SC called the debates “important” to their voting). And Gingrich has always been the best debater this GOP season.

Deep Timber on January 23, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 22, 2012 at 9:07 PM

No “conservative” would “forgive” Obama any of Newt’s faults.

It is selective, partisan “forgiveness”, which is calculating hypocrisy.

profitsbeard on January 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Well, I am an independent who is now considering a different course of action. If that arrogant gasbag Gingrich is gonna fight like a junkyard dog to get that brass ring, then I will join the Republican party just to vote for him in my state’s primary AND I will support him financially and volunteer in his national campaign. Time to take the gloves off.

AttaBoyLuther on January 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM

So the closest thing to a conservative in the race is Dr. Planters, the 2 lib Republicans are neck and neck, and their HA supporters go at each other like they used to do to the Palin-”ista”s.

Shills and trolls, the lot of you!

/lol

ham sammich 2012

S. D. on January 23, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 8:29 PM

translation….

mark81150 on January 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Flora Duh on January 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM

And to find out that the 2nd wife, Marianne had a long standing affair with a married man – I’m shocked I tell you. SHOCKED. She bumped off wife number 1 to get wife number 2′s spot then went on and told everyone that Newt couldn’t run for President because she wouldn’t let him. It would all come out. I’d call THAT blackmail by her. As a married woman myself I have no respect for her. Glad he stayed for 18 years but it didnt’ work out so now he’s moved on. Why HASN’T SHE? can we say cuckoo for cocopuffs?

athenadelphi on January 23, 2012 at 1:12 AM

So, the inevitable Mitt turns out to be a paper tiger with a glass jaw and all the crap, the lies, and the destruction off his rivals of the last two years by his obnoxious supporters is coming to its rightful end. Now that support from of the people you crapped so long might come in handy, you know better than to ask. All is as it should be.

SurferDoc on January 23, 2012 at 1:12 AM

What Ann Coulter needs is a man.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

No “conservative” would “forgive” Obama any of Newt’s faults.

It is selective, partisan “forgiveness”, which is calculating hypocrisy.

profitsbeard on January 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Let me turn this around on you, like my Newti Poo can and would.

If Romney had affairs, would you care?

Hell no.

It’s all about politics for you. I get that. And I forgive you for it.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:49 AM

The reality is people think SC voters are a certain way. That they are so socially conservative and religious that they would never vote for Newtie Poo.

People are frustrated that South Carolina voters are a little more complex and a lot less predictable than they thought. Coulter and others were playing up NEwt’s adultery b/c they thought SC vvoters would vote against Newt because of it.

When you live in a world of false stereotypes, it blows up in your face eventuallly.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

So Ed Morrissey,

you could not bring yourself to point to the obvious, that Todd Palin’s endorsement and Sarah’s I-vote-for-Newt-in-SC, influenced a lot of tea-party voters?

do you hate her that much?

huntingmoose on January 23, 2012 at 2:22 AM

I’ll say again that the transformation of this primary season from a coronation for Romney to an ugly slugfest will ultimately benefit the nominee, whichever one it ends up being

I think Romney will pull it out, but this war with Newt is exposing weaknesses that Mitt MUST address before the Dems come after him with the long knives.

fiatboomer on January 22, 2012

I liked Mitten’s firing people speech. Showed he can take hard decisions. He needs to show more of that. Pres ain’t girl scouts.

Hope on January 23, 2012 at 3:31 AM

What a nasty crop of posters got in during the last open registration…

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Oh, yeah, I forgot….Newt supporters don’t care about that family values stuff.

Priscilla on January 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Burke on January 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Levity. I forgot what it was for a moment.

athenadelphi on January 23, 2012 at 4:32 AM

What a nasty crop of posters got in during the last open registration…

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2012 at 4:17 AM

You just had the pond to yourself. Seems to me you don’t like disagreements about Mittens. We’ve been knocking on the doors of HA to let us in and post because we’ve been reading YOUR posts and they don’t reflect us. Say hello to your new neighbors. We’ve just as much right to be here as you. And from what I’ve read the past 2 years, you guys go at each other when we weren’t around, so don’t blame us sweetpea.

athenadelphi on January 23, 2012 at 4:35 AM

athenadelphi on January 23, 2012 at 4:35 AM

I loathe Mitt & Newt…

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2012 at 4:39 AM

What Ann Coulter needs is a man.

Dr. Tesla on January 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Dr. T, – I will say that I was stunned by her vitriol. Maybe she has a man in site: She can braid her hair and pastel colors will do.She’s just waiting for the right time to announce she’s taking Wednesdays and Fridays. HBO taught us all about this kind of thing. Personally I don’t think he’d want her.

athenadelphi on January 23, 2012 at 4:40 AM

I loathe Mitt & Newt…

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2012 at 4:39 AM

OK. My apologies for lumping you in with Mittens and Newtonian. Who do you like?

athenadelphi on January 23, 2012 at 4:43 AM

athenadelphi on January 23, 2012 at 4:43 AM

AB0…

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2012 at 4:44 AM

After losing the Jeb Bush endorsement. Mitt is now banking on the Snooki endorsement.

Gedge on January 23, 2012 at 4:54 AM

Gedge on January 23, 2012 at 4:54 AM

she already endorsed Gingrich apparently…that, coupled with the the other Snooki’s (the one from Alaksa) endorsement, and the result was the tsunami in S Carolina :-)

jimver on January 23, 2012 at 5:22 AM

So, Gingrich cheated on his taxes:

mountainaires on January 23, 2012 at 6:12 AM

First, the person I wanted to run didn’t, so I don’t have a dog in this fight as I’m voting for whoever the GOP nominee is.

Second, I don’t give a damn how many times Newt has been married or about his affairs or if he ever asked wife #2 for an open marriage — none of it.

HOWEVER, people who actually buy Newt’s “ask my daughter” defense need their head’s examined because anyone with one IOTA of sense knows that no one knows what goes on behind closed doors in a marriage except for the two people in the marriage. Not neighbors, not best friends and certainly not kids who weren’t even living with you. Really, do you think Newt’s daughter would have been a part of this alleged conversation about open marriages if there ever even was such a conversation? I mean come on for the love of cheese! Of all the lame things Newt could have said, calling on his daughter — who obviously is going to side with her dad against her former stepmother even IF what Marianne says is true — is the lamest bunk I’ve ever heard. The fact that people actually think it means squat and are actually defending it as reliable is utterly ridiculous.

Dark Star on January 23, 2012 at 6:33 AM

So, Gingrich cheated on his taxes:

mountainaires on January 23, 2012 at 6:12 AM

Expected any different from a ‘do what I say’ hypocrite??…

jimver on January 23, 2012 at 6:54 AM

So, Gingrich cheated on his taxes:

mountainaires on January 23, 2012 at 6:12 AM

Expected any different from a ‘do what I say’ hypocrite??…

jimver on January 23, 2012 at 6:54 AM

I hate to break it to you, but nobody cares. Mark Steyn has a wonderful column today “Mitt Gave Us Newt”. If Romney can’t make Conservatives believe him, Newt could commit murder and still be competitive. So Romney is going to attack Newt and himself remain as putrid a Conservative candidate as ever. Brilliant! Gingrich stinks less.

Marcus on January 23, 2012 at 7:01 AM

My take.

kingsjester on January 23, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Thank God those that think like some here that Newt can be guilty of anything up to and including murder are not the norm in the republican party, and still be our representative. This race has only just begun. Newt will be exposed for the monster he truly is, over the weeks and months ahead. We will see what you Newtmaniacs have to say for yourselves after he is exposed and is thought of as the worst political leper of all time. It WIll happen.

jibjab75 on January 23, 2012 at 7:29 AM

jimver on January 23, 2012 at 6:54 AM

From your link:

Since Gingrich [snip] —he paid tax equal to 31.5% of his adjusted gross income of $3.14 million. By contrast, [snip] Gov. Mitt Romney,[snip] pays closer to 15%.

Still, Gingrich’s strategy, while frowned upon by the IRS, is hardly unusual.

So who gives a cr*p.

gh on January 23, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Romney’s model for Obamacare is going to bankrupt my kids. Romney doesn’t care to reach out to the base. Romney looks like a deer in the headlights when asked tough questions that his team hasn’t prepared a pat answer for.

Romney’s not the guy who should carry the banner this year.

beatcanvas on January 23, 2012 at 7:37 AM

jibjab75 on January 23, 2012 at 7:29 AM

See? Brilliant strategy from the Romney team.
Don’t try to attract the base to their man, just slime the other. Newt is saying what Conservatives want to hear. Mittens might try it.

Marcus on January 23, 2012 at 7:42 AM