Stephen Colbert, Herman Cain to host a campaign event in South Carolina today

posted at 1:55 pm on January 20, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Comedian Stephen Colbert really wants a piece of the South Carolina primary, and no organizational obstacle will stop him from seizing it. Originally, his list of desires was long: He wanted the entire primary named after him (“The Colbert Super PAC South Carolina Republican Primary”), he wanted his name to actually appear on the ballot and he wanted the ballot to also feature a Colbert original referendum question, “Are corporations people or are only people people?” To make all of this happen, he offered the state GOP $500,000 — but, surprisingly, the state party refused. The referendum question, I guess, was just a little too much for them. Some party leaders can’t be bought!

No matter. Stephen Colbert has found a creative way to gauge his support in South Carolina anyway. He’s instructed his fans to vote for the-no-longer-running-but-still-on-the-ballot Herman Cain in his stead. Today, Colbert and Cain will join forces at a rally to take place at 1 p.m. at the College of Charleston.

What’s going to happen at the event, dubbed the “Rock Me Like a Herman Cain South Cain-Olina Primary Rally?”

“Clapping and talking,” Colbert said.

Colbert, who has launched his faux-exploratory committee in an effort to satirize the role of super PACs in the 2012 presidential race, has urged his supporters to vote for Cain in Saturday’s first-in-the-South contest since his own name won’t be on the ballot.

On Friday, he emphasized that Cain – who suspended his campaign amid allegations of sexual harassment and a 13-year affair – remains his top choice in the race, even though he’s technically no longer a candidate.

“How much more of an outsider can you be? He’s not even running,” Colbert said.

Colbert is unconcerned about how he’ll know which votes were actually for Cain and which votes were for Colbert-as-Cain. He says they’re practically the same man, anyway.

Apparently, the South Carolina Democratic Party is really not happy about this.

The Democrats’ concerns are no laughing matter. Voting for Colbert via Cain would stir up the voter files, likely landing Democrats’ contacts in Republican fundraising and mailing databases.

Besides, Democrats also are hoping South Carolinians turn out to vote in their own January 28 primary. Double-dipping in the two primaries is not allowed.

“As much as I personally love Stephen Colbert, I think he is a wonderful son of South Carolina, I think it is all for jokes and we’re not going to encourage Democrats to participate (in the Republican primary),” said Amanda Loveday, executive director of the South Carolina Democratic Party.

Ah, the lure of those politically active comedians, John Stewart and Stephen Colbert. We’re so tempted to hope, because they occasionally upset liberals, that they might someday be conservative. I just hope Herman Cain realizes that this joke’s on him, as it hammers home the failure of his own campaign.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

I just lost respect for Herman.

And to think I actually supported his candidacy at one point…

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Who’s Herm endorsing, again?

they lie on January 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Gee…another Comedy Central buffoon attempting to co-opt a political process or movement to basically show off the power of popular media in affecting the choices of the populace.

*yawn*

MadisonConservative on January 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

And to think that at one time he was a serious contender for the POTUS.

In the last couple of weeks he’s made me very glad he “suspended” his campaign.

Logus on January 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Too bad that shark Herm is jumping doesn’t have a laser.

NotCoach on January 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Cain?

What were we thinking?!

shick on January 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Who’s Herm endorsing, again?

they lie on January 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

“The people”

*facepalm*

His 999 plan was a dead give-away. Stay on the radio or in pizza Mr. Cain.

sigh.

Logus on January 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Could this primary get any more bizarre?

BacaDog on January 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Would someone pleeeezzzz make this mega-ego-escapee from The Daily Show go away? He’s not even funny!

stukinIL4now on January 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM

“Rock me like a Herman Cain”

Niiiiiiiice Tina.

You just won backstage passes to the Scorps!

Good luck with that :)

antipc on January 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM

And to think some people really thought Cain was Presidential material.

karenhasfreedom on January 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM

So Chuck Todd tears Colbert to shreds and Herman Cain embraces him? Gotta love politics.

GOPRanknFile on January 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Krauthammer was right. Herman was the entertainment candidate.

NickDeringer on January 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Why does every former candidate have to make me feel ashamed in hindsight?

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 2:03 PM

What an absolute embarrassment. He’s acting as a caricature of himself. Quite the failure.

LaughterJones on January 20, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I just lost respect for Herman.

And to think I actually supported his candidacy at one point…

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Ditto. It is sad that he’s fallen to this.

Doomberg on January 20, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I guess Herb thought he had some reputation left that wasn’t thoroughly destroyed and wasn’t about to stop until the job is done.

The Count on January 20, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Cain, how low can you go. Some of us actually had hopes for you. You make us all look like fools. How sad.

Kaffa on January 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Colbert is a one-trick pony — impersonating a stiff, closed-minded caricature of a right-winger. I got tired of his schtick long ago. The joke IS on Cain.

Paul-Cincy on January 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM

One failed comedian and one wannabe comedian. What could go wrong?

they lie on January 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Cain-have you no self respect?You have sunk to a new low here.Grow up and accept the fact that your campaign was an abysmal failure.Mocking the South Carolina primary will only underscore the mockery of your own failed campaign and character issues everyone ultimately came to believe!

redware on January 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I never liked Colbert but I at least understood his schtick. He however completely lost any respect when he jumped the shark and stayed in character when he was invited to speak in front of a Congressional panel a year or so ago.

Sure, we have many politicians that turn the Capitol into a mockery, but it’s something else entirely for a constitutent to do so, especially under the guise of promoting a particular position.

Stephen Colbert is a buffoon. Many of us are not laughing with you Mr. Colbert.

Logus on January 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I just lost respect for Herman.

And to think I actually supported his candidacy at one point…

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I must agree.

MadisonConservative on January 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM

It’s hard to leave the spotlight, Herb. A former Green Bay Packer quarterback had the same problem. He solved it by leaving pictures of his winky on emails for pretty girls. I’m not suggesting you do the same. Best just to leave them alone. Perhaps more singing might alleviate the itch?

a capella on January 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Herman Cain = Christine O’Donnell.

portlandon on January 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Herb??!!!??..WTH???..:(

Dire Straits on January 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM

What the Heel is Cain doing?

stenwin77 on January 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Jeez, good grief…good luck convincing people to EVER take you seriously again, Herb.

ellifint on January 20, 2012 at 2:09 PM

two fake conservatives…

equanimous on January 20, 2012 at 2:09 PM

It is really hard to take Cain seriously after seeing him pal around with this douche bag Colbert.

Captain Kirock on January 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM

From contending Candidate …to class Clown!

KOOLAID2 on January 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM

MadisonConservative on January 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I beg to differ, Cain wasn’t a Comedy Central buffoon, he was selling a book.

V7_Sport on January 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Too bad that shark Herm is jumping doesn’t have a laser.

NotCoach on January 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Can I interest you in some ill=tempered sea bass?

JohnGalt23 on January 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Remember when Herman Cain was the worst guy ever because he probably did unspecified things with unidentified women? Yeah, never mind.

Jim Treacher on January 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM

This is getting on my nerves, now:

Herman Cain – Drops out, teams up with a clown like Colbert.

Jon Huntsman – Drops out and endorses Romney.

Rick Perry – Drops out and endorses Newt.

Sarah Palin – Purposely stays out of the race, then states she’d vote for Newt in SC.

I suppose it’s only a matter of time before Michele Bachmann says/does something embarrassing…

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM

“Are corporations people or are only people people?” Wow, leftists are idiots. Are M&Ms chocolate? No! They’re M&Ms!

bernverdnardo1 on January 20, 2012 at 2:17 PM

wow, what a not-funny stupid commedian clown. and that describes colbert, too.

Sachiko on January 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM

This is almost unforgivable. These Comedy Central turds only schtick is to make Republicans look bad.

Roymunson on January 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Paul-Cincy on January 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Agreed. The fact that Herman can’t see through the Johnny One Note shtick of Colbert is sad.
Herman is being punked…bad. He’s just given Colbert some easy material for his show.

I used to like Colbert when he was a writer or when he was with Strangers With Candy…but when he turned into a political evangelist, he became too predictable imo.

Herman..you’ve joined the Minstrel Show.. the joke is on YOU. And you’re probably picking up half the tab.

Mimzey on January 20, 2012 at 2:23 PM

This is getting on my nerves, now:

Herman Cain – Drops out, teams up with a clown like Colbert.

Jon Huntsman – Drops out and endorses Romney.

Rick Perry – Drops out and endorses Newt.

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM

yes i am just disappointed in all of them, just disappointed in the field in general.

cain is a clown, huntsman is just annoying, perry had a great chance and messed up badly, sarah would have actually been a good candidate but stayed out of the race despite all the people who would walk over broken glass to volunteer for her, and the people who ARE in the field have plenty of disappointments too. sigh. we have a failed, pathetic president, and this is the best we can do to run against him??

(and bachmann has already said a bunch of silly things though…)

Sachiko on January 20, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Herman is showing he is just another publicity pimp looking to cash in. I don’t think Fox will buy his act but MSNBC might if a republican is elected president.

meci on January 20, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Mimzey on January 20, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Herb dont care as long as he gets attention. It’s a game for him.

the_nile on January 20, 2012 at 2:29 PM

As much as I like the idea of the Tea Party, so far we’ve have to deal with O’Donnell, Angle and now Cain’s embarrassments. I think the True Believers here at Hot Air need to do some intospectives about the candidates they get behind.

Shallow talking points do not make a good leader.

Lance Murdock on January 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM

So In a matter of a month or so Herman Cain has gone from Republican front runner for President of The United States… to a stooge and a punchline for a comedy act.

I think that says a lot about this GOP field.

Brad on January 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I hereby repudiate Herman Cains endorsement of me that I had accepted yesterday.

*looks wistfully at her Time magazine cover and Nobel Prize sitting on her shelf and sighs thinking*

At least THESE are still worth the same as when I got them.

Lily on January 20, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Who’s Herm endorsing, again?
they lie on January 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

He’s endorsing you, you ingrate. Show a little gratitude.

Were you this ungrateful when TIME named you person of the year?

RINO in Name Only on January 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM

has everyone figure out how much of a media hound jacka$$ herman is
i’m starting to feel sorry his women

rik on January 20, 2012 at 2:46 PM

For the record, I never supported Cain.

El_Terrible on January 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Cain never intended to be a serious candidate – poorly funded and disorganized, it was always about selling his book and getting a job ala Huckabee as a commentator. No one was more surprised than Cain when he started gaining in the polls. Never caught on with me – he was a lightweight in the experience & knowledge department. So obvious. Really grew tired of him repeating 9-9-9 ad nauseum.

pacificisland on January 20, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM

That’s every time Beard Bachmann opens her yap, she’s an embarrassment to truth and logic.

Your Mamma loves me on January 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Herman Cain = Christine O’Donnell.

portlandon on January 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM

NOMOBO on January 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Herman Cain = Christine O’Donnell.

portlandon on January 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Now why would you want to dis Christine O’Donnell like that? At least she’s not a witch. But Herb is sure a buffoon. At least I’m sure now that those women were lying about him, because I cannot imagine any woman falling for a jackass like Cain.

Damn, the close blockquote didn’t get in there. I think I need a new mouse

NOMOBO on January 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM

For all lefty Marxism, at least Jon Stewart is occasionally funny. Can Steven Colbert even be called a comedian? His schtick is just tiresome and I’ve never watched him and even chuckled. Anyone here find Colbert remotely funny? Or is it just high art “satire” that Hollywood thinks is hip.

Herman Cain is a loser.

sauldalinsky on January 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Stephen Colbert hasn’t been funny since the first season of Strangers with Candy.

hatecraft on January 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Now are all you idiots who thought Cain was EVER a serious candidate satisfied?

You can’t help being stupid but you could STFU.

Adjoran on January 20, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Very disappointed in Cain. I guess in the end the liberals did us a favor by exposing him for the grandstander he really is – just out for some attention. Glad he’s out – now he needs to go away.

uber-con on January 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Sachiko on January 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Best post of thread, Jasmine.

Herman Cain never had my support, I thought he was a joke in April. I was sad to see some good people like Robert Stacy McCain, Jedediah Bila, and some of the people I follow on twitter embrace Cain. One thing that amazed me is this guy inspired a cult-like devotion on the level of Ron Paul until people found out that he was a liar, a buffoon, and who didn’t know anything. Cain hurt Perry. Herman Cain is a fool and clown. He would have been worse than Christine O’Donnell. Let us hope that Fox does not pick up Herman Cain. Frankly he has nothing interesting to say.

CoolChange80 on January 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Super PAC, yea, what an obvious choice for a comedy routine!/

Some comediennes are just naturally funny. Colbert always strikes me as forcing his humor, it’s really not funny but come on, it should be funny because I’m Colbert and I’m on Comedy Central, therefore, this must be funny. His type of schtick has passed, kind of like watching bad slapstick.

scalleywag on January 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM

(and bachmann has already said a bunch of silly things though…)

Sachiko on January 20, 2012 at 2:24 PM

In Palin’s defense, people would have walked on broken glass to stop her as well. They would have become much more uglier than the Trig BS and the Tucson BS.

Maybe she knew that and the fact that a lot of “conservatives” would have been sabotaging her as well. Just look at any of the Palin threads.

Actually, just look at any thread and see how people treat the candidates. It’s almost as if there’s a bunch of Democratic chaos/oppo researchers disguised as “conservatives”.

kim roy on January 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Can cain sink any lower ?

TeaPartyNation on January 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM

SUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kermit on January 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM

There is bound to be a lot of flags and eagles at this rally. Evildoers would be wise to stay clear.

KeninCT on January 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I wish Cain would go away.

Mirimichi on January 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Wow. I never thought I’d say this, but thank God for Gloria Allred.

Those of you who donated to this joker’s campaign should demand a refund.

captn2fat on January 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM

From Mr. Cain:

Anyone who finds what Mr. Colbert is doing offensive, should simply lighten up. To be perfectly clear, I will not be assuming Stephen Colbert’s identity. We are very different when it comes to the color of our – hair.

The vitirol shown in this thread towards this event demonstrates some are taking the primary process a little too seriously. Is this sideshow really off-limits to comedians? The ridiculousness of Gingrich PAC vs. Romney PAC alone is enough material to keep Colbert & Stewert in business through February.

Everyone here seemed to think The Daily Show’s segment on Ms. Harrop last week was hilarious. I’ll wait to see the event before judging if it’s good satire or not.

smorpheus on January 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Its almost as if there are people running around proclaiming a desire to seek public office, inflating the hopes of supporters, or pretending to be serious people talking about serious things only to promote their celebrity and pocketbooks.

Sad actually.

J.S. Kline on January 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Cain was always a buffoon while, running/not running, on a book tour/not a book tour. His policy knowledge was abysmal and he single-handedly created a circus of the Republican Primaries. The fact that so many conservatives actually considered him a serious candidate exposes the Republican and Tea Parties to justifiable ridicule. Now we have only one viable candidate and three third tier wannabes. Time will clarify who is who, especially for those former Cain supporters. Hint: Which of the remaining candidates are attacking time-honored conservative positions like capitalism and right-to work and carrying the water for OWS and Obama? It’s sad that so many will look back at them and say, “What were we thinking?”

Oracleforhire on January 20, 2012 at 4:14 PM

kim roy on January 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM

My theory is that a lot of people are just jerks. However, they have been socialized to the point where they know they can’t say this stuff out in public or lose their jobs/friends/significant others.

So they come here to be jerks about candidates anonymously.

Lily on January 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

why would journalists want to interview this dude.

it just proves they’re irrelevant.

Steven McGregor on January 20, 2012 at 5:04 PM

smorpheus on January 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

No, it demonstrates the contempt for Stephen Colbert, who has been one of the most obnoxious figures in comedy.

MadisonConservative on January 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I facepalmed so hard I got a black eye.

ynot4tony2 on January 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Y’all are funny, apparently none of you have ever listened to Herman’s radio show.

Bmore on January 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart are the Democrat Party Hitmen they are they get away with Bomb Throwing and Over the Top Attacks in the guise of Comedy, but it isn’t. Colbert and Stewart are the real news for a lot of the Democrat party. Look at the tweets from watchers / supporters of Stewart and Colbert antics. Herman Cain is a fool for playing in their hands. Cain is done. He is Christine O’Donnell.

CoolChange80 on January 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM

smorpheus on January 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are not satire they are just MSNBC is a slicker and sharper package in the guise of comedy. Stewart and Colbert are the Comedy Wing of the Democrat Party along Barney Frank.

CoolChange80 on January 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM

The people who should really be embarrassed are the ones that actually supported Cain in the Republican primary. Stop elevating people like Cain, Palin.

gumble on January 20, 2012 at 5:22 PM

This is why I like Herman Cain. I think it’s perfect. This primary has been a joke. Might as well go all in.

CrankyTRex on January 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

The Daily Show and the Colbert Report often says what MSNBC wishes they could say and get away with. The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are to the left what Hannity and Glenn Beck are to the right. They are Obama’s protector and enforcers and they attack his critics in over the top fashion. They are legit in the eyes of the left.Stewart and Colbert are very much a party of the Democrat Party Media complex and tied heavily to far left. They are lavished with praise from the entire Lamestream Media which much of Fox News is becoming.

CoolChange80 on January 20, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Mr. Cain,
I sent a donation to you.
I put a sticker on my truck.
You, sir, are a disgrace.
Go back to cheating on your wife.
Sincerely

crash72 on January 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM

And to think some people really thought Cain was Presidential material.

karenhasfreedom on January 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I never did. Some people just can’t seem to understand the concept that a “fresh new face” needs to be vetted. And if you jump on the bandwagon to early you are taking an unnecessary risk.

SparkPlug on January 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

CoolChange80 on January 20, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Cohn drives me nuts, and I suspect many others have the same response. Thats why they hired her.
She is the most condescending and obnoxious personality I’ve ever seen. She always has her eyebrows scrunched together and and is holding back a laugh whenever she has to listen to a conservative talk. She exudes the sense that its beneath her to be in the same room with a conservative. At first i took her for a Maddow clone, but Cohn is even worse.

Mimzey on January 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Who’s Herm endorsing, again?

they lie on January 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Me.

netster007x on January 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM

So, did Cain accept the $500,000? Appears that he did.

Would this destroy my faith in Herman’s message? Not the least. I still like what he said. While I am disappointed in Herman’s extracircular activities, I am not disappointed that he entered the race. Do I want my money back? Nope. My small donation was worth the price to keep him on the national stage if only for a brief moment.

Now the time has come for all good Herman Cain’s to fade into history.

gasmeterguy on January 21, 2012 at 10:20 AM