Santorum on Marianne Gingrich accusations: These are issues of character

posted at 7:10 pm on January 20, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Rick Santorum walked a fine line in his response to questions about Marianne Gingrich’s accusations against her ex-husband and Santorum’s GOP rival, Newt.

“Personal matters are personal matters, but they are matters that are — particularly when you are in public life as he was at the time and the people involved were also in a sense in public life — those issues are issues that people will look at,” Santorum responded.

“I believe in forgiveness, I’m called to believe in forgiveness,” he continued. “I do believe having some accountability to a higher calling other than self is a very, very important aspect and perspective that is important for leaders.

“To make the final comment, these are issues of character and these are issues that people will consider based upon the time, when, where, how all those thing will factor in and I’ll let people make that decision, I’m certainly not going to make it for them,” he said to a crowd of about 150 people.

That’s about as balanced an opinion as another candidate could give on the subject. Santorum neither denies the relevance of Gingrich’s past life nor does he suggest Gingrich’s past is absolutely predictive. Instead, he acknowledges that the mistakes Gingrich has made in the past are reflective of his past character while simultaneously acknowledging that true change in a person is possible.

Given Santorum’s scrupulous refusal to be sidetracked by Newt Gingrich’s distracting and undisciplined attacks on Mitt Romney’s record at Bain Capital, his willingness to comment at all on the Marianne Gingrich episode does stand out, though. Perhaps his comments are yet another part of the differentiation process he says he began last night. Santorum is different than rival Mitt Romney in the consistency of his political past and different than rival Newt Gingrich in the consistency of his personal past. Surely that consistency should count for something.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Leave it alone Rick!

KOOLAID2 on January 20, 2012 at 7:14 PM

“Let he who is without guilt cast the first stone”

Silly Rickybobby

DiscePati on January 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Santorum had a lot to do with the conservative success in the 1990s that Newt claims for his own. Santorum wrote the Welfare Reform Act, for example. He has a long record of success, and is a heck of a lot less erratic in his composure and politics. He’s a much better choice than Newt is.

vegconservative on January 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Thank you, Rick.

I don’t really consider you a conservative, but I couldn’t be more fed up with the Newtbots throwing character and morality issues out of the window as if this was a race between Democrats.

Morality, trust, honesty, willpower, self-control, ALL MATTER!

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

The main problem is the incident is old. Very very old. Seems Clinton was far more recent with Gennifer Flowers than Gingrich was with Callista. Seems Gingrich made an honest woman of Callista. Clinton? Not so much.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on January 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Santorum should leave the race if he loses

liberal4life on January 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Classy campaigner, Mr. Santorum. His is the response Newt himself should use: “Think about it and vote for me if your conscience allows. But the stones have all been thrown.”

de rigueur on January 20, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Morality, trust, honesty, willpower, self-control, ALL MATTER!

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

The reason a lot of Gingrich supporters do disregard this, is because our culture is slowly collapsing. Instead of Republicans accepting this behavior from public figures, we should be rejecting now more then ever.

lowandslow on January 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM

If Rick had his way, he would have had a camera in Newts bedroom, so he could monitor his sex patterns and prevent his cheating on his wife.

Rick Santorum: Morality Cop.

portlandon on January 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Let us go on to remember Santorum has not been vetted. What is his voting record in the house and senate look like? How many sucessful pieces of legislation have his name on them. He tries to take credit for much of What Gingrich has done. If you believe him? Vote for him.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on January 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Of course adultery and ethics violations reflect on character. So does the Nancy couch visit, though. And I’m seeing some light on Santorum. Sure he’s not perfect, but his eloquence against global warming is. Unlike Newt.
Plus his tax policy, though attacked by Romneyites, actually is a good idea to encourage manufacturing. There’s natl security reasons for maintaining manufacturing proficiency. Plus, it is for the working man, and for reviving the key states of the ~ midwest that have been hit by this and other downturns.

anotherJoe on January 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM

liberal4life on January 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Did ya get the razors I sent ya?

Bmore on January 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Santorum was SO obnoxious last night.

Really tired of his “holier than thou” act. Really off-putting.

nicktjacob on January 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Tina: Later this evening will you publish your support for Santorum’s “think small” ideology? We expect it from you, to demonstrate your consistency, which counts for something.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Like him or not, it’s impressive that Newt dragged himself out of the Iowa quicksand and recovered his footing. As Perry and Bachmann can testify, that’s not easy.

RBMN on January 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Sure thing, Rick. Be a good fellow and close the door on your way out.

Southernblogger on January 20, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Santorum is a cannibal…

Shain1611 on January 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

The main problem is the incident is old. Very very old.

What difference does it make? In a sane world a thrice divorced adulterer should never even be considered for President. Ever.

lowandslow on January 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Before this thread goes in the direction most Marianne threads go, I’d like to post this comment taken from one of last night’s thread.

Christian conservatives accept that Jesus died to forgive our sins and we do not have the right to hold any sin against someone who has sought this forgiveness. Those of us who support Newt accept that this is part of his forgiven past. If someone came forward and proved he had not changed it would be different, but this part of his life is past and we do not have the right to hold it against him.

I support Newt because I believe he is the best candidate.

Rose on January 19, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Flora Duh on January 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

How can it be an issue of character? Newt doesn’t have any.

1punchWill on January 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

As a Catholic,I do not believe I am “called to forgive” people I have never met, like Newt Gingrich. For one thing, he has done nothing to me, so what is there to forgive? “Called to forgive,” to me, sounds vaguely evangelical. I am “called” to love God, not to forgive perfect strangers.

Now, I will judge Gingrich. It is not hard to do and it is not what Jesus referred to when he said “Let he who is without sin,” etc. Those people were about to stone someone. Someone much less innocent than Newt Gingrich. Gingrich is a careeer politician; in other words, a louse. He is a bastard for what he did to his two wives, and nothing can erase that. Please do not use the Catholic faith to excuse him on those faults.

Herald of Woe on January 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I thought Santorum did a great job last night.

He is the only conservative left in the race. Yes, I will support Newt or Ron Paul if either were the only alternative to Romney (I will NEVER vote for Romney). But as long as Santorum stays in the race, he got my vote.

Norwegian on January 20, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Santorum a decent man. Wish he was doing better than he is.

jeanie on January 20, 2012 at 7:23 PM

“Let he who is without guilt cast the first stone”

Silly Rickybobby

DiscePati on January 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Well, last I checked Santorum isn’t a serial adulterer.

I love how you Newt supporters try to act as if we are personally judging Newt by not wanting to have him as our spokesperson.

He can do whatever he wants in his porsonal life, just don’t ask a man who’s a serial adulterer with no morals other than what makes him some quick cash or power to represent me, a conservative.

1punchWill on January 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Whoo Hoo! He’s on the right side on Global Warming. Awesome.

jb34461 on January 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Flora Duh on January 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Couldn’t agree more.

Southernblogger on January 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM

To forgive is a virtue. To show true repentance for one’s act requires a humility that I fail to see in Newt.

uhangtight on January 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Herald of Woe on January 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Nobody is about to stone Gingrich. People are saying they dont want Gingrich raised to be the spokesperson for the party that is supposed to stand for American values.

1punchWill on January 20, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Flora Duh on January 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Thanks for reposting that – it was very well said.

gophergirl on January 20, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Enough of this bullshit about forgiveness, it’s about our society becoming more and more accepting this behavior.

lowandslow on January 20, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I really liked Rick Santorum in last night’s debate. Too bad that Newt’s bellicose pugnacity and Mitt’s stiff air of “inevitability” are crowding out the voice of such a thoughtful, decent man.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 20, 2012 at 7:27 PM

If I remember correctly, a few months ago, Newt once brought up the fact that Jon Huntsman dropped out of high school over 30 years ago.

Newt’s a hypocrite, and he’s starting to remind me of Bill Clinton. Hell, Newt loves talking about Clinton every chance he gets, anyway.

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Very sad to see Santorum sick to the Democrat line of being gossip monger. This is why he is going nowhere.

georgealbert on January 20, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Bmore on January 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I think it gets paid by the response.
Let it sit by itself drooling in moms basement.

KOOLAID2 on January 20, 2012 at 7:28 PM

1punchWill on January 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Hey 1punchWill
Glad I saw you over here. I think you may have missed my ? back on that other thread.

This party nominates trash like Newt Gingrich, and I leave the party, period.

A scumbag like that does not speak for me.

1punchWill on January 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

1punchWill on January 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Sorry to hear that. If I might ask you two simple ?’s Who was your very first Presidential vote cast for? Who did you vote for in 08?

Bmore on January 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Just curious.

Bmore on January 20, 2012 at 7:28 PM

lowandslow on January 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Which one do you pretend to be outraged at, the adultery or the divorced part? Or is it the combination of the two that sends you over the edge?

ButterflyDragon on January 20, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I think it gets paid by the response.
Let it sit by itself drooling in moms basement.

KOOLAID2 on January 20, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I know but the little girl has really hairy arm pits. It just isn’t becoming. Did I mention she has dreams.

Bmore on January 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 20, 2012 at 7:27 PM

100% agreement with you there!

KOOLAID2 on January 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Take your moral compass and put it where the sun doesn’t shine!

Your holier than thou atitutudes make me sick.

Amjean on January 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

…but…but…but… he found Jesus dontchaknow

That means we’re supposed to not only forgive but completely forget and never bring it up again for discussion.

Unless it’s a democrat of course because they’re godless people.

The Ugly American on January 20, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Somebody needs to remind this guy that he is a republican. Oh, and that he’s a man. My gosh, he looks like he needs Midol.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on January 20, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Rick Santorum: Morality Cop.

portlandon on January 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM

While I prefer Ron Paul’s 10th Amendment-approach to most social issues, Rick is absolutely right. It’s pathetic how Newt’s supporters are trying to turn this debate into one among liberals.

georgealbert on January 20, 2012 at 7:27 PM

No, the Democrat line is to say that sex scandals are nobody’s business.
WTF is going on with conservatives? This is supposed to be our way of holding ourselves to certain standards, standards that the Democrats/liberals/media never bother to do.

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Amjean on January 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM

All of us? I was just trying to help the little girl out.

Bmore on January 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Take your moral compass and put it where the sun doesn’t shine!

Your holier than thou atitutudes make me sick.

Amjean on January 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Is this DailyKos or Hot Gas?

Can’t tell these days…

The Ugly American on January 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Flora Duh on January 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Couldn’t agree more.

Southernblogger on January 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM

There’s something to that.

SlaveDog on January 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM

1punchWill on January 20, 2012 at 7:26 PM

And which values would those be?

This sounds almost like a Democrat’s argument.

Personally, I have always thought of the Republican Party as the party of constraint. I never really bought into the whole religious right crap that came along with the “moral majority”. The sooner that stuff dies, the sooner this party can attract small government minded individuals.

Right now the GOP (those in power) are nothing more that self righteous, greater than thou Democrats who say one thing, yet do another.

ButterflyDragon on January 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I think that is about as graceful a response a man with strong convictions about fidelity could come up with about a man who does not seem to have those same convictions.

DrMagnolias on January 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I believe in forgiveness, growth,and information. I will then use and calculate accordingly to my own beliefs. That’s about the best any candidate can ask or expect from the voters.

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Santorum’s wife must cringe when he starts pontificating about people’s pasts.

Fallon on January 20, 2012 at 7:35 PM

At least Santorum is consistent. Guy is steady. More you can say for either Romney or Newt.

therightwinger on January 20, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Santorum, “President of the cry me a river club.”

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 20, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I don’t have to sit in moral judgment to recognize that marital infidelity raises trustworthiness as an issue. Certainly the circumstances can be aggravating, or mitigating. For example, serial infidelities in successive marriages raises more questions about trustworthiness than a single instance of infidelity by a person only married once. Unfortunately, for Newt, the circumstances are more aggravating than not.

It takes a certain flaw of character to repeatedly put selfish and immediate gratification before duty to honor your solemn promise in marriage. It requires a deep-seated sense of entitlement, the closely held belief that the rules don’t apply to you because you are special. It is hubris of the worst sort. It suggests an inability to recognize the necessity of deferring personal gratification when responsibility to others requires it.

We need strength in leadership. Hubris is not strength but a form of weakness. We need strength and humility, and the latter is in short supply.

novaculus on January 20, 2012 at 7:36 PM

ButterflyDragon on January 20, 2012 at 7:28 PM

It’s touching to see adulterers everywhere standing up for Newty. And who cares about ethics? Like the Left-wingers he likes to parrot these days Newty refuses to be constrained by ethics rules.

But it’s not all bad for Comrade Gingrich. When he finally drops out of the race, he can always go back to his day job as a technical consultant for Californication.

cicerone on January 20, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I know it’s been said so many times but I will say again thatThe Bible says we are ALL sinners saved by Grace’.
Santorum reads the same Bible I hope.

evergreenland on January 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Santorum is now trending down to 4th – last place – in the RPC average for South Carolina. That means he will likely finish with less votes than perennial protest candidate Ron Paul, a candidate whose more honest supporters admit they don’t seriously envision as president. And South Carolina will set the terms for Florida. There’s no way a last-place candidate with negative momentum and tapped out for cash will be able to compete in that giant political market.

Then Santorum will then face a choice. Before things came down to the wire, Santorum would talk repeatedly about his friendship with Newt; talk about how he worked on welfare reform “under the tutelage of Newt Gingrich at the time,” etc. Now he’s effectively functioning as Romney’s hitman, adding “grandiose” to “zany” in the catalog of character attacks against Newt. This is conduct can serve no productive end post-South Carolina, except for personal pique at losing to Gingrich or (let’s hope this isn’t the case) a desire, like Bachmann, to suck up the the establishment candidate.

BCrago66 on January 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

So, who has more of a “Drill Sgt.” personality?

1. Mr. Fancy Pants Romney.

2. Mr. Good on Sunday, never say a curse word Santorum.

3. Mr. Down and Dirty nasty in your face , Get In Line Dumb Ass” Newt.

?

Cause this American Army has lost all its fighting sprit and needs some one the wake U.S. the ,,,, Up.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

…but…but…but… he found Jesus dontchaknow

Unless it’s a democrat of course because they’re godless people.

The Ugly American on January 20, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I’m really ****ing pissed at people on our side making light of Newt’s past. IT. IS. RELEVANT.

For God’s sake, the lying hypocrite was trying to impeach a President for doing something, he himself, was doing!

Santorum is 100% correct on this. I’ve always been a critic of Santorum’s goal of using the executive branch as a moral authority office, but he’s right on this. If Newt gets a pass on this, we’ve become no better than the filthy, disrespectful, sex-obsessed liberals! I’m a young college kid, and even I can’t take the sexualization of America!!

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 7:39 PM

georgealbert on January 20, 2012 at 7:27 PM

You mean like the Democrat talking points you are posting in other threads?

Sure, When Bain and Romney release the internal notes from when they threw thousands of hard working Americans out on to the street so the a few fat cats could take home millions…when do we see those docs?

georgealbert on January 20, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Hypocrite. That would be you.

JPeterman on January 20, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Santorum “The Big Government Social conservative” and his 74 ACU rating. For comparison: The Maine Twins, Murkowski and Scott Brown. Santorum is this cycle’s Huckster.

Raquel Pinkbullet on January 20, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Take your moral compass and put it where the sun doesn’t shine!

Your holier than thou atitutudes make me sick.

Amjean on January 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Did you even read the post? He was asked questions about it. He didn’t just start talking about it. His answer was thoughtful and in no way was he launching some gratuitous attack against Newt, unlike your knee-jerk swipe at Santorum which is pretty pathetic.

KickandSwimMom on January 20, 2012 at 7:39 PM

ButterflyDragon on January 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Newty refuses to be constrained. His marital infidelity proved that. So did his problem with ethics. Not to mention his Michael Moore-approved anti-capitalist screed. I also love how suddenly anti-Romney paranoids are suddenly falling out of love with Santorum. Priceless.

cicerone on January 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM

All the GOP candidates, even Ron Paul are preferable to the marxist.

My order of support would be

Santorum
Gingrich
Paul
Romney

bgibbs1000 on January 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM

This topic of Newt will be bigger than the moon and will never go away. Now it is time for Newt to go away. He knew this will come out but his ego is the size of the moon so he knew he will ignore it

If the charge came out against Rick of infidelity no one would believe it. But when someone who cheats on wife 1 with wife 2 and then wife 3 with wife 2. There will be wife 4 in waiting but wife 3 is okay with the open marriage and the diamonds from tiffany’s

tjexcite on January 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Santorum’s the only one out out of the actual Republicans in the field who has not implemented or supported an individual mandate. He’s clean on the healthcare issue. His voting record is pro-tax cut, pro-social security reform to include privatization, pro-welfare reform. He’s probably the best of the remaining candidates on foreign policy due to his time in the senate in that area.

If you want a candidate who doesn’t have to explain a bunch of contradictory positions and statements and personal baggage, Santorum is the guy. He can beat Obama, he probalby has more appeal to blue collar socially conservative Democrats than our other two candidates.

Dr. Tesla on January 20, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I could live with Gingrich but I think a lot of women are going to have a hard time getting past his adultry and “ego”. Their votes count too.

Dr. Tesla on January 20, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I meant, much more innocent. :)…..

Herald of Woe on January 20, 2012 at 7:42 PM

“Let he who is without guilt cast the first stone”

Silly Rickybobby

DiscePati on January 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

What hogwash as applied to Gingrich. By this ‘logic’ if the night before the November vote Obama said, “I have made mistakes, please forgive me” we would all have to vote for him.

RasThavas on January 20, 2012 at 7:42 PM

ButterflyDragon on January 20, 2012 at 7:28 PM

What difference does it make? You want your daughter to be used as a doormat by men? Want your son sleeping with married women? Because that’s the message we as a society are sending when we turn a blind eye to it when it comes to electing a President.

lowandslow on January 20, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Did you guys actually read his comments for Pete’s Sake?

He couldn’t have thrown back an easier softball considering how squeaky clean he is and the room he has to talk. I would have avoided the question all together but come on. This place is starting to sound like the mother of all medical conventions of Spin Doctors.

hawkdriver on January 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Politics can be a very dirty business.

Personally I have no interest in knowing what went on between Gingrich and his ex-wife during their marriage, and I am disappointed but not surprised that Santorum went there, given that he is a card carrying member of the “GOP Holier Than Thou Machine.”

The issue of Gingrich’s past infidelities came up during the last debate in Iowa. He answered in part:

“I’ve made mistakes at times,” he said. “I’ve had to go to God for forgiveness. I’ve had to seek reconciliation. But I’m also a 68-year-old grandfather. I think people have to measure who I am now and whether I’m a person they can trust.”

In deciding to support Newt Gingrich, Thomas Sowell expressed it best in this article:

Choosing Gingrich
He’s the candidate with the best record of accomplishments.

john.frank on January 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Aizen

Clinton was doing it in the Oval Office.
Clinton was with a very very young girl.

But then he is a Democrat so that does not matter at all.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Perjury and obstruction of justice? Do tell, with links if you have them.

Bishop on January 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM

bgibbs1000 on January 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Romney? A Marxist? Really?

hawkdriver on January 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM

ButterflyDragon on January 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Yes, I agree your point, but for once, Santorum isn’t really coming off as a “moral crusader” type on this issue of Newt’s past. We’re electing someone for the highest office in the land, and the most powerful office in the world. This shouldn’t be taken lightly. Is it so much to ask that our political leaders be honest, faithful, dedicated, and proper in their behavior? We are not Europeans, and we shouldn’t approve of infidelity, sex-scandals, and raunchy behavior.

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Santorum is a nutcase, he doesn’t want people to have sex before or during marriage, he thinks government should have a bureau of sexual positions based on his bizarre theories that government’s place is in the bedroom. He needs to depart and let Gingrich and Romney settle it mano a mano.

Smedley on January 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Dr. Tesla on January 20, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Did you actually see Santorum’s record in the Senate? He is only slightly to the RIGHT of the Maine Twins. He is a big government-social con. With a lifetime 74 ACU rating.

Raquel Pinkbullet on January 20, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I think Sowell makes a good case for Gingrich, but I think Santorum was a leader on welfare reform, taxes, socical security reform while a Senator. He had a better conservative rating than a lot of conservative is far redder states.

Dr. Tesla on January 20, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Bmore on January 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM

08 – Freddy.

First vote? Bush Jr.

1punchWill on January 20, 2012 at 7:46 PM

bgibbs1000 on January 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM

My version:

1. Palin
2. Santorum
3. Romney
4. Gingrich
5. Satan, “The Father of Lies”
6. Obama

Herald of Woe on January 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM

With a lifetime 74 ACU rating.

I’d need to see how ACU rates Republicans, b/c they have Paul Ryan way up there at 93% and I think that guy is a fiscal liberal on the big issues. He voted for TARP, the auto bailouts and a whole lot of other fiscallly liberal legislation and ACU still gives him a 93% rating. Santy was way to the right of Paul Ryan.

Dr. Tesla on January 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM

lowandslow on January 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Our balance sheet is collapsing even faster than our culture. We need to get the debt under control and we need to get it under control now. I’m not interested in being marched into national bankruptcy in an “ethical and moral” way.

Furthermore, give it a rest on pretending how this stuff where politicians cheat on their wives is new. FDR had many affairs. It’s just the media did not start covering it until recent decades. Furthermore it’s clear that at least some aspects of this have been blown up out of proportion (like the myth that Gingrich divorced his poor dying wife on her deathbed).

No, the Democrat line is to say that sex scandals are nobody’s business.

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Here’s a clue, you’re never going to find a “superhero,” especially in this day and age, to run for president. We had a candidate who was an anti-corruption crusader and had a ridiculously clean record, who was completely destroyed by her own side, working together with the Democrats. Rick Perry also had, for a politician, a relatively clean record with only minor instances of potential corruption.

If people really wanted candidates who were “clean” then they would have voted for them.

I’m not interested in looking for moral paragons right now, I’m interested in finding someone who makes it clear that they understand that 1. Financially, we’re in deep trouble, and 2. We need to cut spending to get the issue under control.

Romney doesn’t understand. There’s a question mark by Santorum. The only one I’m confident who has a clue is Gingrich.

Doomberg on January 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Perjury and obstruction of justice? Do tell, with links if you have them.

Bishop on January 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Even before Clinton lied to the American people like the scumbag he was, Newt was out to get him just for the sex act taking place in the Oval Office.

Take away Clinton’s perjury and obstruction of justice, and Newt’s still a big fat, lying, hypocrite.

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Rick Santorum: “Elect me so I can be the morality commander in chief!”

RedRobin145 on January 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM

So, history.
FDR
Kennedy
Ike
LBJ
Clinton
and that is just of late.

So, we in the U.S. just became pure as the driven snow?

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Gingrich lied under oath and suborned perjury?

de rigueur on January 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Smedley on January 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM

If that’s the case, how does he explain his 7 kids? He’s had sex at least 7 times while married.

You need to ditch the hyperbole, especially the stupid kind.

Dr. Tesla on January 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM

He needs to depart and let Gingrich and Romney settle it mano a (sic) mano.

Smedley on January 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM

That’ll look less than manly.

hawkdriver on January 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Rick Santorum: “Elect me so I can be the morality commander in chief!”

RedRobin145 on January 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM

RedRobin to Republican voters:

Don’t vote Santorum b/c I hate social conservatives and/or religious people.

Dr. Tesla on January 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 7:39 PM

According to my Santorum Morality Counter, you have one curse, one taking the Lord’s name in vain, and one incorrect capitalization in your post there.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on January 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Herald of Woe on January 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Hmmm, not bad. Not bad.

hawkdriver on January 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

The only one I’m confident who has a clue is Gingrich.

Doomberg on January 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM

That’s exactly what Michael Moore said! Amazing…

cicerone on January 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

These days,

A devout Christian = theocrat who wants to police your bedroom.

Dr. Tesla on January 20, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Repentance takes a humble heart, I do not see this humility in Newt. He does not appear to me to have a humble bone in his body.

To mouth words of I have changed is good, that is the first step. However, he has to walk the walk. That would mean never trading in Calista for a younger model, which it appears this is his M.O.

To soon to tell for this to be known, frankly, I will not judge his true forgiveness. But, I will dissect and judge his actions.

I have seen true forgiveness and there is a humility that exudes from the individual. A humble spirit is not what I see in Gingrich. His arrogance smacks of an individual who is used to conning folks with words. He is a word smith and a true politician. I am sorry, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he does eventually trade Calista in for a new model.

You know them by their Fruit, if you will, I am checking out Newts fruit. Pompous, arrogant, megalomaniac, narcissist and con man on all of his policies: Health Care Mandate when he is paid to be for it and the History lesson lobbying for Fannie and Freddie. He is on two sides of every issue. That’s the fruit I am judging and guess what I expect? A new Calista in a few years.

uhangtight on January 20, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM

“Out to get him”, huh? Is that an official legal process like impeachment?

Bishop on January 20, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Doomberg on January 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I assume the “she” you were speaking of is Palin? I’d agree, if so.

Still, you say the economy and deficit are the biggest concerns for you, but you shun Ron Paul and throw your support for the guy who agreed with TARP, an individual mandate, a global warming tax, and other such liberal policies?

Aizen on January 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Last time out in an election, this Santorie guy, he won or lost that election?

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Perjury and obstruction of justice? Do tell, with links if you have them.

Bishop on January 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Gingrich lied under oath and suborned perjury?

de rigueur on January 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Bishop is always first.

de rigueur on January 20, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I still think Santorum needs to conduct a Santorum Sodomy Summit. Going with the sweater vest was a good first step in reaching out to all the all important gay voter in Republican primaries but a Santorum Sodomy Summit could win over more still.

Dr. Tesla on January 20, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Wow, will a humble sprit and nice way be a big asset dealing with the mad mullas of islamic terror.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM