Romney: I don’t have to release my tax returns just because my dad started the tradition

posted at 2:30 pm on January 20, 2012 by Tina Korbe

As Ed wrote in his recap of last night’s debate, Mitt Romney’s repeated mishandling of questions about his tax returns is a problem for the former Massachusetts governor. He shouldn’t have to release his returns and the fuss about his taxes has been frankly frustrating, but, nevertheless, he does need to be prepared to handle the question. That he stumbled on the topic last night was especially disheartening. He had fielded the question before; it should have been easier to field the second time!

From the sounds of an interview he gave radio host Laura Ingraham today, Romney still hasn’t mastered an effective line of defense — but he did explain himself a little better to her than he did on the debate stage last night. He started off poorly, weakly complaining that he shouldn’t have to release his returns just because his father started the tradition. Eventually, though, he gains steam.

“I think what they want to show is that I’m wealthy,” Romney said in the Eureka! statement of the interview. “Let me tell you: I am wealthy. I’ve been successful. I did not inherit my wealth; I created my wealth.”

Americans love a success story — but Romney, for whatever reason, has refused to tell his. That he is wealthy is not nearly so relevant for presidential campaign purposes as how he came by that wealth — and how he plans to translate his own experience into a plan to preserve, improve and expand get-rich opportunities for the rest of us.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

angryed on January 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM

As you have been told dozens upon dozens of times, we all know Romney is a moderate. That means not as conservative as others.

And spare yourself the frustration of trying to convince the interwebs that he isn’t as conservative as you are. You’re wasting your time because everyone here has read your attacks on his wealth and success. You are not as conservative as he is when it comes to the free market. Which is the basis of conservatism. So, Romney has it over you because he does not attack free market capitalism.

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Newtron is no conservative.

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM

But the guy who said

“I think people recognize that I am not a partisan Republican. That I’m someone who is moderate, and that my views are progressive.”

is the next Reagan.

That’s ‘special’ Gunlock Billie Bob logic for you.

angryed on January 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM

It’s frustration, desperation, morphed into apathy/schadenfreude.

A turd s/b able to replace Obama and here we are. Our side is way more nutty/inept than the other. We’ll see. Too much caring these days is not good. Must laugh/smile some, otherwise we have to buy more Kleenex.

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I feel ya bud. Hang in there. Maybe one of them will get it together before it’s too late?

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Newt conservative bona fides are a heckuva lot better than Mitt ‘Milquetoast’ Romney’s.

Pragmatic on January 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Newtron thinks FDR is the greatest President, ever.

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I want someone who will give a full throated reubke to Obama and his party, right to his face in a debate in front of America. I want a man who will point his finger in Nanzi Pelosi’s and Al Gore’s face and be angry over their hoax of gorebull warming.

I also want someone who doesn’t remind me of a bowl of Farina, like Mitt Nomnee.

Key West Reader on January 20, 2012 at 4:18
PM

Newt will be VEEERY qualified and well positioned to point his finger in Nanzi Pelosi’s direction, given the proximity on the (in)famous couch :-), he’ll reach her before any other, that’s fo sho :-)…also he is the only one who can challenge Obambi to a spelling bee and trivia pursuit contest, on the national stage, in front of the whole country, for everybody to see how he can beat and humiliate O into withdrawal :-)… and so you will get the satisfaction of a ‘full throated reubke to Obama and his party, right to his face in a debate in front of America’ :-)…

jimver on January 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Horace on January 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Nice name, Christian.

Mighty nice words from an OWSer Liber-all Paulbot.

One gets called a lot of things around here. Must laugh, otherwise we’ll go to tears…might get there anyhow, sooner than we want.

Keep fishing. The season is good.

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Newtron said, “I Think I Am A Transformational Figure.” (PBS.org, 12/2/11)

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Yeah, we know. Have you considered how that will come off to the independents in the general election?

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM
They have no clue who/how they are, and “independent” they are certainly NOT.

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Newt is the only one who can articulate Reagan’s principles. Everyone out here in realville is desperate for a candidate that can take that ball down the field, sack the dem and media attackers on the way and open the door to a new discussion on what Conservatism really means.

Or, we can just sorta roll over, ah-gain for our oatmeal. No raisins. No sugar. No syrup. Just generic, gubmint oatmeal… That’s Mitt. Eat your mittens.

Key West Reader on January 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM

My attacks on his wealth and success? LOL. Nice try. I have never attacked anyone’s wealth. I have attacked his douchebaggery in dealing with his wealth and trying to laughably portray himself as a self made man when he inherited millions from his father.

I know you’re getting desperate as you see the train wreck ahead which is why you’re resorting to lies yet again.

angryed on January 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Newtron, “I Have An Enormous Personal Ambition. I Want To Shift The Entire Planet. And I’m Doing It. … I Represent Real Power.”

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Newtron, “I Am The Longest Serving Teacher In The Senior Military, 23 Years Teaching One And Two-Star Generals And Admirals The Art Of War.” (GOP Presidential Candidates Debate, 12/15/11)

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:32 PM

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Exactly, we need PALE PASTELS, not bold colors! Bold colors scare off the independents!

makattak on January 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Newtron thinks FDR is the greatest President, ever.

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM

LOL. I knew it. You get your talking points from Glenn Beck. I was joking before that you were ‘special’. Now, I see it’s no joke.

Hurry up and buy some gold and the 67th book from Beck telling you how the world is about to explode.

Pathetic.

angryed on January 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Romney has to tell people the honest truth; it’s none of their GD business how he made/makes his money, or how much of it there is. If they don’t like it, they should pound sand.

libertarianlunatic on January 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I’m right there with you.

Christien on January 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Flopney standing for the free market? That’s a blatant lie. Auto bailouts, bank bailouts, insurance mandates, stimulii, ethanol subsidies, and best of all, his desire to start a trade war with China. Those things scream “protectionist” “crony capitalist” “proto-fascist”. Definitely not free market.

Dude, you are as bad and apologist as a Palinista about St. Sarah when it comes to your hero, Mittens Flopney. Its a shame.

Daikokuco on January 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Newtron, “Because I am much like Reagan and Margaret Thatcher, I’m such an unconventional political figure that you really need to design a unique campaign that fits the way I operate and what I’m trying to do.” (Jim Acosta, “Newt Gingrich Back From The Brink,” CNN.com, 11/16/11)

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Indeed, then we’ll all have to ‘hug ‘n kiss’, yack, it’s gon’ be tough.

Happened to hear Beck this a.m. and he said first “…if Newt is the one I’m voting 3rd party, I swear…”.

Then he recovered and said “I apologize…we’ll have to unite somehow after the primary…and get rid of the real tragedy, Obama…” –paraphrased.

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM

“My views are very progressive”

– Willard Romney in 1994

Did Glenn Beck forget to mention this little bit to his cult followers?

angryed on January 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Newtron, “I begin as Lincoln did.” (Jason Horowitz, “Newt Gingrich Draws Contrast With Romney,” The Washington Post, 12/1/11)

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Newtron, “I am the most seriously professorial politician since Woodrow Wilson.” (John Pitney, “Five Myths About Newt Gingrich,” The Washington Post, 11/22/11)

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Key West Reader on January 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM

good for you/r health though :-)

jimver on January 20, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Mittens:

I was registered as an independent during Reagan Bush. I don’t want to bring back Reagan Bush.

– 1994 Debate with Ted Kennedy

angryed on January 20, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM

careful what you wish for :-)…don’t know how he began, I know how he ended :-(…

jimver on January 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Willard M. Romney had the toughest up bring among the Presidential candidates.

He lived in the toughest streets of……Paris

liberal4life on January 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Christien on January 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Keep the fight going. Somehow maybe we’ll see light. Horace kids but is a softie.

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM

How long do you think it’s going to take the Twitterverse to come up with a hash tag like #mittstaxsecret to speculate on exactly what he’s hiding?

Laura Curtis on January 20, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Willard M. Romney had the toughest up bring among the Presidential candidates.

He lived in the toughest streets of……Paris

liberal4life on January 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM

He did more good, in all phases of his life, than your narcissistic spoiled demanding/deserving brat and liar, on all streets, the world over.

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2012 at 4:39 PM

You know what makes me happy?

You know what makes me so happy that my happiness would make Obama shart in his shorts?

It’s the prospect of Gingrich/West v. Obama/Biden.

Boom

There it is.

Key West Reader on January 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM

It’s the prospect of Gingrich/West v. Obama/Biden.

Boom

There it is.

Key West Reader on January 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Made my day. I was for West/McDonnell, but the latter lost one of his you know what today.

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Horace on January 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I don’t care who what you are–that right there is funny.

Christien on January 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Willard M. Romney had the toughest up bring among the Presidential candidates.

He lived in the toughest streets of……Paris

liberal4life on January 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM

which is tougher that you might think, especially the inner city and the banlieues défavorisées…not as ‘tough’ as Bronx maybe, but then nothing in Paris is :-)…

jimver on January 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Willard M. Romney had the toughest up bring among the Presidential candidates.

He lived in the toughest streets of……Paris

liberal4life on January 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM

You’re kind of pathetic. If you think that only “poor” people vote dem then you’re pathelogically stupid.

I grew up poor, on welfare, foodstamps, public housing. Then came Reagan.

Make way for Newt. He’s what we need right now. You can continue to send in your Clown (Obama), but he cannot and will not win, and you know it.

Key West Reader on January 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Newtron loves FDR and Andy Stern.

Newtron, “FDR is the greatest practitioner of self government, certainly in the 21st century, and maybe in American history. And FDR as governor of New York in good times, was VERY PROGRESSIVE.”

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM

jimver on January 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Quit showing off your French. You might wake/attract sheryl.

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Have any of you noticed how Romney starts stuttering and stammering whenever he starts getting pressed on issues he’s not comfortable with (many issues, I might add)?? Did any of you watch the Bret Baier (Fox News) interview with Romney a little over a month ago? Baier absolutely nailed Romney’s flip-flopping hypocrisy, and Romney was stuttering and stammering like crazy!

jfs756 on January 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Interesting.

Romney considers his tax return an embarrassment.

Donald Trump considers his tax return a badge of honor.

I honestly don’t get it.

Sort of like the whole birth certificate mess. I’d have had smiling WH aides handing out certified copies at a kiosk in front of the White House.

Why go looking for “issues” that aren’t issues when you’ve got enough real issues to address?

Makes me question Romney’s judgment. I could care less about his bank account.

IndieDogg on January 20, 2012 at 4:47 PM

What kind of parent give their child the name “Willard”? WTF?

liberal4life on January 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM

angryed on January 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Yes, having the video of Newtron saying it and then quoting Newtron exactly is “getting my talking points from Glenn Beck.

You are “special”.

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM

he does need to be prepared to handle the question

Tina goes all master of understatement. :) Is Mitt really going to be the last person in America to figure that out?

I have friends with parrots and the parrots know it or at least have been squawking it for weeks already.

kunegetikos on January 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM

jfs756 on January 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Yes. I’ve believed all along that Obama’s going to beat him like a rented mule, and after these GOP debates, I’m more convinced than ever. Romney does okay when he’s got that teflon thing going on – whenever anyone returns one of his attacks there’s a pileon of people telling them to stop hitting Mitt! But when he’s challenged and can’t get out of it by repeating talking points, he just breaks down.

Laura Curtis on January 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Did Glenn Beck forget to mention this little bit to his cult followers?

angryed on January 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM

You are dumber than a post.

Glenn Beck is preferring Santorum.

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM

You just took the fun out of it. Thanks, man. Thanks a lot.

Christien on January 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Whatever may have been handed to him, he’s chosen to devote the remainder of his life to restoring America and fighting for a more conservative way of life. I, for one, respect that.

Slainte on January 20, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Restoring America? Fighting for a more conservative way of life? You mean Romney’s political ambitions led him to flip to conservatism when his career as a Massachusetts LIBERAL ended.

In case you’ve never seen Romney’s collection of contradictions and flip-flops, click Mitt Romney – Serial Flip Flopper! I know that similar stuff has been posted here before (even by me), but it needs to be posted again and again for the Romney lovers. Romney isn’t a credible conservative. Never was, never will be.

Gladtobehere on January 20, 2012 at 4:51 PM

When in Paris, Mr. Romney lived in luxury, in a mansion in the city’s swanky 16th arrondissement. It came with a dozen house staff, including Spanish chef the Mormon residents called Pardo and a house boy named Jose, who did maintenance, emptied the trash and helped with meals, said Richard B. Anderson, the son of the mission president who lived for six months with Mr. Romney and still stays in touch.

When he was at the mission’s home base, Mr. Romney’s life was no hardship. The 19th century neoclassical home on Rue de Lota had been owned by an affluent Jewish family before the Nazis seized it during World War II. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints purchased it in 1952.

Poor, poor Mittens. Life is tough in the mean streets of the 16th arrondissement. (Comparable to New York’s Upper East Side)

Daikokuco on January 20, 2012 at 4:51 PM

What kind of parent give their child the name “Willard”? WTF?

liberal4life on January 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM

What kind of parent gives their child the name “Barak”?

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:52 PM

You are dumber than a post.

Glenn Beck is preferring Santorum.

Gunlock Bill on January 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM

We are know Beck is in the tank for his fellow non-Christian Mormon.

When was the last time he went on a rant against Romney?

liberal4life on January 20, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Wow! I can smell that bit of Romney-fail from my house! /s

DannoJyd on January 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Bold colors scare off the independents!

makattak on January 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Reagan was bold colors. Gingrich is a rabble-rouser.

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Newsflash from the Romney campaign: Reports that Mitt’s tax returns are written on gold tablets that have disappeared are GREATLY EXAGGERATED.

Laura Curtis on January 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I just read that Newt has dumped his schedualed ABC visit this weekend, and all Romney has is this? LMRIAO!

DannoJyd on January 20, 2012 at 4:58 PM

We are know Beck is in the tank for his fellow non-Christian Mormon.

When was the last time he went on a rant against Romney?

liberal4life on January 20, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Awesome! Fire up that anti-Mormon bigotry! Totally didn’t see that coming.

mikec3 on January 20, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Yeah, the third party talk is really dumb.

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Somewhat OT

The best item I saw on Instapundit today:

“SEEN ON FACEBOOK: ‘I don’t care if Gingrich was a swinger at this point. If he gets the nod, he gets my vote, because at least he was screwing a woman and NOT AMERICA.’ Heh.”

Gladtobehere on January 20, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Gladtobehere on January 20, 2012 at 5:03 PM

wow, deep…

jimver on January 20, 2012 at 5:08 PM

What kind of parent give their child the name “Willard”? WTF?

liberal4life on January 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM

True liberals are tolerant. YOU are a hypocrite.

Also, beck is for Santorum, or so he says.

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2012 at 5:12 PM

What kind of parent give their child the name “Willard”? WTF?

liberal4life on January 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM

the same kind of parent that gives their child the name Willow or Piper or Shiloh, or Sunday Rose…in other words, irrelevant or immaterial to any discussion about a candidate or another…

jimver on January 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Much respect to LIBERAL4LIFE who actually makes an effort to inform people that Mormonism has nothing to do with historical Christianity… unlike you FALSE CONVERTS that sit among the body of Christ

apocalypse on January 20, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Aight I’m done posting for now….Peace

apocalypse on January 20, 2012 at 5:24 PM

apocalypse on January 20, 2012 at 5:22 PM

who cares..

jimver on January 20, 2012 at 5:33 PM

apocalypse on January 20, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Darlin, liberal4life isn’t trying to inform, he’s trying to start garbage and appreciates your help.

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

apocalypse on January 20, 2012 at 5:22 PM

who cares..

jimver on January 20, 2012 at 5:33 PM

You won’t enjoy hell…

apocalypse on January 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I don’t have to release my tax returns just because my dad started the tradition.

Both Romney Sr/Jr being Rockefeller Republicans (dumb and dumber Obamalite supporters reference today as “moderate”). Interesting to note well the Romney generational divide. George proved successful in the business of AMERICAN MANUFACTURING, whereas his born to immense wealth and Ivy League elitist “sophisticated” son Mitt played the market. Mitt’s investments are in unskilled labor, stocking Staples shelves or babysitting at daycare; whereas George oversaw productive skilled labor wealth in the wake of Henry Ford (pay workers enough to be consumers and enjoy a good standard of living). George wasn’t ashamed of his earnings, his enterprise having enriched our nation as a whole. Whereas Mitt, who promoted outsourcing and the exportation of AMERICAN MANUFACTURING appears to be ASHAMED of what he has to show for it all.

Luke 12
The Parable of the Rich Fool

13Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”

14Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” [Definitely not a socialist.] 15Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”

16And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. 17He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’

18“Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’

20“But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

21“This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God.”

One generation too far removed from the skilled labor force, completely entrenched in the short term profit regardless of long term cost, there’s Mittens. Like Obama bragged, Romney knows that no matter how bad things get for Americans, it won’t hurt his own kids (whose service to our country is promoting their dad’s political ambitions, their own opportunism).

Promise them anything; just get their votes. — Mitt Romney

maverick muse on January 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM

10:06 then again…

maverick muse on January 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

who cares..

jimver on January 20, 2012 at 5:33 PM

nonrevisionist socons — discounted as “gibots” by their “betters”

maverick muse on January 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM

apocalypse on January 20, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

We’re gonna have to disagree Cindy. I dealt with this in the 2008 Republican primaries Rocky V style. Romney and his supporters keep pushing to make Mormonism “Christian” when that couldn’t be further from the truth. Mormons are NOT Christians. Joseph Smith said after Jesus’ death, burial, resurrection and ascent to heaven He came back and witnessed to the American Indians. It’s not in the Bible. Jesus ministering to Indians in the United States after His resurrection is not in the Bible. I’ve been reading it every day for several years now and I haven’t found it. But Jesus did speak of a place called hell and I am offended that a snake oil salesman like Joey Smith decided in the 1800′s that he’s gonna improve on Jesus Christ and the Bible and mislead a lot of decent people into believing him and land themselves in the FURNACE OF FIRE. They’ll be forever in Hellfire. That really really angers me, OK. So please spare me how your offended by liberal4life. I APPLAUD him for telling the TRUTH about the history and the beliefs of the Mormons and I’ll stand next to him on this. Thanks.

apocalypse on January 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

But I still think you’re nice Cindy Munford. :-) Peace

apocalypse on January 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I was just wondering how does one being a mere mortal or even a journalist extraordinaire verify the accuracy of a so called tax return presented by a campaign? Is there a super secret site to get certified copies of your 1040 that we have no knowledge of? Or can they put out anything they want knowing that the IRS cannot comment?

meci on January 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM