Neil Cavuto: John King was right to ask about Gingrich’s ex-wife

posted at 8:20 pm on January 20, 2012 by Allahpundit

Chris Wallace agrees. I’d be surprised if there’s a single reporter at Fox who doesn’t. The ex-wife’s interview was the most buzz-heavy horse-race news story of the day; surely plenty of voters who’d read about it were curious to see how Newt would respond. If King hadn’t asked about it, he’d be getting hammered today for ignoring what Wallace aptly described as the “elephant in the room.” And for all the outrage at him, here’s the dirty little not-so-secret of his question: It was a total gift to Newt. Everyone knew it was coming, including/especially the guy who’s made moderator-bashing his forte at these debates. King might as well have been wearing a sign that read, “Please endear yourself to this media-hating conservative audience by punching me in the face.” So Newt punched him in the face for five minutes and got the predictable standing O and proclamations of victory and on we went. By the time the debate was over, Gingrich was telling Anderson Cooper what a “great job” King had done as moderator. Some commenters today seemed confused by that given Newt’s outrage earlier, but there’s nothing inconsistent about it. Of course Newt thought he did a great job: King had just tossed him the most grandstanding-ready softball ever.

In fact, for all of his vitriol about the media, Newt gets along with some of them just fine:

The same candidate who on Thursday decried “the destructive, vicious, negative nature of much of the news media” shows another face to the cadre of reporters who follow his campaign day-to-day. He jokes with them, publicly celebrates their birthdays, teases them about the early hour they are often forced out of bed to cover his events.

It’s not unusual for Gingrich to chat with reporters, off-the-record, in the hotel restaurant at the end of a long day on the campaign trail — and he engages them to a degree that’s unheard of on the other campaigns…

Hammond attributes the stark difference between the tongue-lashings Gingrich delivers at debates and the candidate’s relatively warm relationship with the traveling press — mainly embed reporters — to the way they interact with the campaign.

He doesn’t hate the media, but of course he hates The Media. He couldn’t be a conservative standard-bearer if he didn’t. John King belongs to both groups; hence Newt’s bipolar reaction to him last night.

Two clips for you here, one of Cavuto and the other, via Mediaite, of King after the debate. “This is one of those ‘damned if you do, damned if you don’ts.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

First, for those of you newbs who don’t recognize me, I’m a staunch conservative. Been here since the second gate opening.

Cavuto’s right about one thing. That had to be the first question. It was in the news, it was talked about by every network, rightly or wrongly, and it needed to be addressed. What a better way to see how a candidate engages this kind of crapster question than to ask it? It had to be thrown out there, and Gingrich had to respond. And he did respond, with vigor and with anger — feigned or not, it was the right way to answer it.

So the only one who got hurt in this was the MSM and John King. That question and that answer boosted Newt to the top of the polls just two days before the primary.

I guess we should be really thankful that the “news” men followed their proclivity so that the softball could be thrown and smashed by the candidate. Shows me one more thing, that Newt can handle the MSM, unlike Mitt, a great guy, but utterly clueless on how to mold public opinion, and who leads from the rear. Will I vote for Mitt? Sure, if the’s the nominee. But Tennessee’s primary isn’t until March 6, and it may be all over except for the crying by then. But we’ll see.

Tennman on January 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Shame on anyone who brushes this aside as irrelevant or old news.

shinty on January 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM

He confessed and repented.

I didn’t hear Newt confess or repent on Thursday night. His attitude was strictly ‘buzz off this is old news and none of your business’.

If Newt is the nominee, every American will become intimately familiar with every detail of Newt’s serial adultery. Might be a problem for him going up against Obama.

Thanks for the testy lecture on Christian forgivness. But that’s not the issue.

The issue, which Newt’s multiple marriages point to, is that he is erratic, saying and doing highly questionable things. Will we get the conservative Newt or the Pelosi cuddling Newt? Can he be trusted? That is always a valid issue.

shinty on January 21, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Tennman on January 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Precicesly, plus:

Fox was also shilling for Mitt, 100%, for shame. They are more unfair and unbalanced than they claim. Now they’re literally ventiallating.

Crowns, cigars and champagne were highly overrated.

The people want to decide, and not let the media and the few talking heads guide/force them.

When Dick Morris lectures Newt on ethics and morals, Fox is truly unbalanced, and so is the world.

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I think Newt is a weasel rat scumbag but I also think he is still better than Obama.
bbinfl on January 21, 2012 at 2:04 PM

what can I say, if that’s the person you want as your leader, I suppose everything else is a mute point…

jimver on January 21, 2012 at 2:31 PM

shinty on January 21, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Can you tell us what Obama was doing 15 years ago? Why can’t you? Maybe because anytime anyone dares question that the answer from the dimoturds is “buzz off this is old news”. So exactly how does scumbag Obama have the high road against Newt or whoever he is against? If what was done 15 years ago for one candidate is a problem then it should be for both.

bbinfl on January 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM

jimver on January 21, 2012 at 2:31 PM

You really haven’t looked too hard at the filth that we have in both chambers of congress, the white house, state government, local government, you name it, have you? We have people that have done far worse than anything Newt ever did and people act like he is the only one that ever did anything wrong. Sorry but that seems a tad hypocritical to me.

And seriously if I have to wait and vote for someone because they are lily white clean and a saint then I guess I’ll never get to vote for anyone will I?

I want someone that will actually stand up for us, not that any of these candidates really will, which is why I voted for Allen West. He’s disappointed me with a vote or two but generally he is there for us. Why is it my fault if this is the best that the gutless Republican party put out there? I’m not a republican nor will I ever be for reasons like we are seeing this election cycle?

That being said, I will never, ever, vote for Obama and the only reason I even consider voting for the likes of Romney or Newt or Santorum, if I do vote for any of them, is that these are the pathetic choices that have been given us because the right would rather rollover and help get Obama reelected than put a decent nominee out there and fight for them. And before you ask I have no idea right now who a decent nominee would be but I know what I am seeing isn’t it.

How sad is it that what should be an easy slam dunk win election for the repubs is being run in such a way that they are more than likely going to lose, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory so to speak. People really better hope that the congress turns out right or frankly we are damned as a country after November this year.

bbinfl on January 21, 2012 at 2:49 PM

1punchWill on January 20, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Such a compelling argument. My disputing your characterization of the history of incendiary politics has nothing to do with my I.Q. but your hyperbole. But continue to knock yourself out, free entertainment it free entertainment.

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM

~~~WINNER IN THE 3RD ROUND BY A TKO~~~

CINDY “TAMOKA RED” MUNFORD

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on January 21, 2012 at 3:09 PM

One more time for the small minded. Newt impeached Clinton for LYING to Congress!!!!!! It was not about him being a hypocrite about sex. Does it ever get tiring repeating the same old lies over and over? Clinton gave up his law license because he lied. He paid Paula Rogers because he lied. His wife is a congenital liar too. My God, her list of lies is so long no one wants to take the time to write them all down. Try repeating after me, Clinton was impeached for lying to Congress. Also Newt has admitted his sins and asked for forgiveness but Willie has not. You tell me who the hypocrite is.

inspectorudy on January 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Precicesly, plus:

Crowns, cigars and champagne were highly overrated.

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM

+10

IndeCon on January 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM

shinty on January 21, 2012 at 2:15 PM

bbinfl on January 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM

This makes another good point. If ‘old news is no news’, as Newt would have it, then conservatives couldn’t question Obama and Rev. Wright, Rezko and Ayers.

Newt’s philandering is a moral problem. It’s a trust problem. It’s a political problem. And it’s our problem.

Newt chose, on three occasions, to publicly make a sacred vow of fidelity to three different women. So it becomes our current and relevant business today. We must wonder he moves from conservative to liberal and back again on policy issues. Can this man be trusted?

shinty on January 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM

inspectorudy on January 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Unfortunately, its very difficult to make morons understand SIMPLE FACTS. About both liar Clinton and his lying idiot Palestinian a$$ kissing wife. Funny, ins’t it, how liberals have such short memory spans, or none at all, when it comes to communist leaders’ actions.

Anyone out there thinking Newt has baggage should spend a few hours looking into Stalin: long stable marriage, deep thinker, man of few words, deep convictions and just one vice (pipe smoking). Should we look for someone like him as our leader? After all, he fits every conservative’s dream qualities. /s

I’ll take someone like Churchill any minute of the day…

riddick on January 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM

inspectorudy on January 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Newt of course…he held everybody else at standards that he himself wasn’t even contemplating to live by….unlike Bubba, who was just being….Bubba :-), I don’t think that he went around preaching family values, etc, actually ever since he was the governor of AK it was kind of common knoweldge that he and Hillary had some sort of an understanding on his philandering ways…as for the forgiveness business, you are misleading and inaccurate, he did apologize, here are the excerpts:

‘After all votes were counted on Friday, President Clinton knew he would hold the White House for two more years. But instead of claiming victory for his acquittal on impeachment charges, he apologized. He apologized for the Monica Lewinsky affair and his deceptions about it. And he asked the American people for forgiveness. “I want to say again to the American people how sorry I am for what I said and did to trigger these events, and the great burden they have imposed on the Congress and the American people,” he said.

jimver on January 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

shinty on January 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM

First of all as Newt would have it? How about the next time we hear about what Obama was doing 15 years ago and with who it would be the first time. My point was if the pathetic excuse for a media is going to call out Gingrich for his past they damn well should be doing it to the scumbag in the white house too.

And a trust problem? Trusting a politician, any politician in any party is stupid. I don’t trust any of them they all tell you whatever you want to hear to put them into office then they do what they want to. The only trust one should have is they will screw you.

I honestly feel sorry for you if you trust any politician because I think it is badly misplaced and you are always bound to be disappointed.

bbinfl on January 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM

bbinfl on January 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM

awesome

congma on January 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Yeah, so let’s see what kind of hard hitting questions Obama had to face….oh yeah none.

JayJay123 on January 21, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Yep.
Bill O’Reilly’s fascination with that noisy gnome is very odd.
Of course so is Billy O’R (an embarrassment to all Catholic Micks).
I am a Catholic Mick so I can say “Mick” can’t I?
Here goes …

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Can’t believe so many are so freaking gullible.
The MSM creates a story to report on it… They do it time after time after time and the masses just suck it right up…

Oh my Newt had a bad divorce 2 decades ago…How many of these have there been in the past 10 years??

How many divorces are not bad divorces, well until they are done and then they are great..

The media manipulates you like origami…fools…You all deserve to be locked in a room with a television tuned to Jerry Springer 24/7.

RockyJ. on January 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM