Michael Reagan reiterates endorsement of Newt Gingrich

posted at 4:50 pm on January 20, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Michael Reagan spoke out in support of Newt Gingrich before the Iowa caucuses, but, today, he released a statement via the Gingrich campaign to announce that he unequivocally endorses the former Speaker of the House. The statement reads as follows:

I am endorsing Newt Gingrich for President and here’s why:

Newt understands that we must reject and fundamentally change the course that Barack Obama has set for America.

Newt is our only chance in 2012 to contrast a Reagan conservative with  Obama’s European’ styled socialism.

Newt exemplifies the conservative principles my father championed.

Strong national defense, lower taxes and smaller government.

In the 90’s Newt’s leadership brought us the Contract with America which changed Washington.

I’m confident Newt can do it again.

We cannot afford a candidate backed by the same Washington insiders who repeatedly tried to undermine my father and the Reagan revolution.

It’s time to choose.

Do we go forward with bold ideas or continue with failed policies?

So I ask my fellow Republicans and conservatives to join me in supporting Newt Gingrich for president.

Perhaps Reagan’s son felt the need to reiterate his support for Gingrich in light of a certain something Mitt Romney said last night. At the South Carolina CNN debate, Romney observed that Ronald Reagan mentioned Gingrich in his diaries just once — and then only in a dismissive tone.

“I mean, he mentions George Bush 100 times,” Romney said. “He even mentions my dad once.”

It was a petty line of attack, that’s for sure. Yes, Gingrich often makes it sound as though he were more influential during the Reagan administration than he was, but, I mean, c’mon! A Ronald Reagan mention is a Ronald Reagan mention!

Indeed, the tone of Michael Reagan’s endorsement certainly seems to be implicitly as much against Mitt Romney as for Newt Gingrich.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Good stuff. Has Gingrich himself used those words?
logis on January 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Yes he has, and Newt has made that statement on at least several occasions.
DannoJyd on January 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Then he’s unelectable. No a candidate who doesn’t oppose Obama can beat him.

I’ve heard that like a million times now, so it must be true.

logis on January 20, 2012 at 7:08 PM

This party nominates trash like Newt Gingrich, and I leave the party, period.

A scumbag like that does not speak for me.

1punchWill on January 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

WEll, Bye.

portlandon on January 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Well portlandon I waited for a reply from 1punchWill for a good long while. From now on he/she/it is 1punchWill line and a fish. Nice link by the way. See you later, looks like there might be some good fishing to do. Maybe another thread.

Bmore on January 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Can anyone tell me what Michael Reagan and Newt Gingrich do for a living, and how they make enough money to appear so remarkably successful? I am much less impressed by the luxurious lifestyles of the rich and famous than I am by the great achievements of the successful.

Jaibones on January 20, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I am completely amazed that I’m even thinking about voting for Newt. I never would have thought that likely, ever.

Bob's Kid on January 20, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Bmore on January 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

My mistake, I apologize to you 1punchWill.

Bmore on January 20, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Reagan never proposed amnesty…it’s a myth perpetuated by the liberal media, congratulations for falling in line.
He created a pathway to legalization and eventually citizenship, there was a logical step by step procedure that needed to be followed…you guys are so easily manipulated to regurgitate what is told to you.

right2bright on January 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM

And how did that work out, yeah AMNESTY. Gingrich has offered the same: AMNESTY. I can abide by people who are wrong or ill-informed or even those who see what they want to see but wrong and pompous are a bad combination.

V7_Sport on January 20, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I love how all the conservative establishment republicans see themselves as outsiders. Newt is the ultimate inside the beltway pol and he stopped being a conservative a long, long time ago. He is also without character or moral virtues.

There is no hope for this country. My son is right. The two party system is destroying us.

fight like a girl on January 20, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Gingrich says whatever makes Gingrich prez…

NORUK on January 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM