Hot Air Survey: Pre-South Carolina Results

posted at 7:45 pm on January 20, 2012 by Patrick Ishmael

Newt Gingrich leads once again, followed by Mitt Romney, Ron Paul, and Rick Santorum. From the beginning of these surveys, only the active candidates to date:

From the beginning of these surveys, all of the candidates to date:

The top free-form vice presidential responses:

The full results follow:

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

TXUS on January 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM

LOL! That was great!!

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 8:35 PM

This is the most important election of my life time on earth and I don’t want to vote for any of these candidates tomorrow.

Damn you Paul Ryan or Mitch Daniels for not getting in the race!

I guess I’ll vote for Santorum because – as a true conservative, not a CINO – the other three are unacceptable.

bs4948800 on January 20, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Come to find out, he is really buddy buddy with the press in private, unlike on stage. He is a recently closetted progressive and so two faced.

Top_Down on January 20, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Nobody wants to vet Newt because he says cool things loudly and waves his arms around on stage.

Unfortunately, the rest of the country won’t feel the same way in the general.

1punchWill on January 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM

bs4948800 on January 20, 2012 at 8:38 PM

The best you can hope for that the founders knew what they were doing and no single person can screw up the country. Just make sure we get Republicans in Congress.

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Make that conservatives in Congress.

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM

The best you can hope for that the founders knew what they were doing and no single person can screw up the country. Just make sure we get conservative Republicans in Congress.

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM

FIFY

predator on January 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM

You beat me by that much. *holds forefinger and thumb 1/32 inch apart*

predator on January 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Gingrich is the funny blue blip on the chart, right? Hopefully it blips off somewhere and then nose dives.

Fleuries on January 20, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM

The founders knew exactly what they were doing. What they didn’t figure on was that Congress would cede so much of its power to the Executive Branch, they being more tethered to the people than any other branch. They, of course, assumed based on their recent history that their distrust of a strong executive and judiciary, for that matter, would long endure as a check on those two branches. This was their only mistake, as I can determine.

TXUS on January 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM

KirknBurker on January 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM

There is very little, if any, libertarianism here. Santorum spends most of his speaking time talking about how evil libertarianism is (and not to mention his big government record). Gingrich believes the government can be used to achieve conservative goals (which is antithetical to libertarian beliefs). Romney is a moderate.

gyrmnix on January 20, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I’m 61 years old. I’ve seen all the candidates since I was a kid. You do the math and candidate list. I experienced all their leadership skills and effects on the country and the economy. I fought 18 months in Vietnam. Came back and voted for Carter. This showed my ignorance. Been a conservative for the rest of my life. I personally went through life changes that were not all that honorable and respectful. But, I know this, we all can change, we all can be better and we all can do better….. therefore, I say to you, Gingrich is the guy I support. I want a bulldog as President. He has the experience, and the , dare I say it, gravitas… to learn from his mistakes and do what is right NOW. If I be naive in your eyes , so be it. I have made my choice and am comfortable with it. I was asked not long ago who I supported and why…. I have stated so.

MNDavenotPC on January 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Excellent post! I feel the same way about Newt. And thank you for your service in Vietnam.

tinkerthinker on January 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Yes, woman are force in the voting booth. We do not like a pompous, angry arrogant windbag.

uhangtight on January 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM

And here I had been thinking that women went for Obama in 2008.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 20, 2012 at 9:09 PM

And here I had been thinking that women went for Obama in 2008.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 20, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I never saw that commenter before but she says she speaks for me, wow, like we are on some plantation some where…I guess she doesn’t realize I escaped a long time ago.

tinkerthinker on January 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Republican party is no longer a conservative party, and no longer the party of American values.

1punchWill on January 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM

That fairy tale ended over 40 years ago.

they lie on January 20, 2012 at 9:24 PM

uhangtight on January 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM

We also don’t like other women speaking for us, or bad spelling and grammar. In addition to being female I am also the breadwinner in our family. I work in 100% commission sales. When looking for an addition to the sales staff, guess what never gets asked? Are you faithful to your wife? Some of the biggest a$$holes I ever worked with are the top producers. The guy who did the surgery on my daughter was an a$$hole, but I didn’t care because he was the guy for the job. If you need a moral leader, go to church or get Franklin Graham to run next time.

Night Owl on January 20, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I fought 18 months in Vietnam. MNDavenotPC on January 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Thank you for your service. And I couldn’t agree more with the “bulldog” comment. I’ve been saying for some time that I like Newt because I want someone who will verbally punch O!bama in the nose on a debate stage. He will do that. predator on January 20, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Bravo Dave. I have 10 years on you and was “there” in ’68. Your post and “predator’s” post sum up my view.

Dingbat63 on January 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM

We also don’t like other women speaking for us

Night Owl on January 20, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Flora Duh on January 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM

karenhasfreedom on January 20, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Karen, you can’t possibly be for Newt–you’re a woman (presumably), and women don’t support Newt because he’s so “ewwwhhhh”

NOMOBO on January 20, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM

A single person (branch of government) is doing just that as we speak.

Installing a conservative in power is my goal but unless we have a filibuster proof majority, all we can do is slow down the creep to the left, we can’t stop it.

Do you really think that if – let’s say Romney – becomes president that he will dismantle the bureaucracy behind Obamacare? It’s one thing to repeal the law. Shutting down all the different agencies that have been created and dismissing all the bureaucrats is another.

We need a true conservative in the WH. That takes guts. I don’t see that with this list of candidates

bs4948800 on January 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM

MNDavenotPC on January 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Well said! We’re the same age, but I did not go to Vietnam (drew #246 while in college in San Diego, the number one enlistment station in the country at the time), and I do thank you for your service. I too went through some dishonorable and disrespectful changes, but learned my lessons and am doing very well now. Newt is the obvious choice and is exactly what this country needs to get back into shape. He can wipe Zero’s butt. Everybody who’s experienced has baggage. Do we want to only have inexperienced kids running for office because they haven’t had time to pick up baggage? If so, we get a procession of Obamas.

NOMOBO on January 20, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Is it just me, or is the Age Summary chart flipping us off?

Durka-Durka on January 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM

The hideous mess that is the “all candidates to date” graph really encapsulates this primary season. Craziness, I tell ya.

Mr. Prodigy on January 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM

It’s strange that these polls never reflect the posting patterns on Hot Air.

Reading the replies you would think Romney should be far ahead of Newt, or are these chatty Romneybots just stealth trolls from Daily Kos?

tkyang99 on January 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM

huckleberryfriend on January 20, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Please pardon my ignorance, but when did Perry get 30% of Anything EVER? It never happened at Hot Air, and to the best of my knowledge he didn’t do that well in any of the primarys.

DannoJyd on January 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM

tkyang99 on January 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM

A most relevant observation and my best guess was they are from either Media Matters or are the faux republicans put in place by 0bama’s 0bamaGanda unit that pays them $30,000.00 a year PLUS bennefits, which was reported about here last year.

DannoJyd on January 20, 2012 at 10:14 PM

These sad results tell me that the typical visitor to hotair is a right down the middle neocon. That’s sad. I am 48 years old and a former Marine Major. I was just like you… I was sure I was right and everyone else was wrong.
If you vote for anyone other than Ron Paul, you will guarantee more of the same. Quite literally, we cannot AFFORD more of the same… Once this sinks into your skulls, you too will want to wake others.
Pump the brakes, turn down the radio, put your bias and opinion on the shelf and listen to what Ron Paul is saying… Your inner patriot is telling you to. .. Your founding fathers would be so terribly disappointed. They warned us that this could happen… I am confident they could have never foreseen just how badly we allowed things to get. Look, it may be too late right now. We may be PAST the tipping point. We are broke Europe is broke. What may come will make the depth of the depression look like easy street. Wake up people; we live in a completely changed world.

standupandbecounted on January 20, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Romney never reached the level of support as Palin.

LMFAO. Let’s coronate him anyways…he is a businessman and a capitalist yada yada yada

tom daschle concerned on January 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I honestly don’t think I can bring myself to vote for Newt Gingrich. Weirdly, it wasn’t until he attacked Romney on capitalism that I took an unbiased look at him, but after I did… I just don’t think I could do it. I’m left just hoping it’s a moot point and he doesn’t get the nomination. Because if he does, all that’s left is Gary Johnson, a throw away vote, which only marginally beats not voting at all for the first time in my adult life.

Murf76 on January 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM

bs4948800 on January 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM

No, I am not sure that Gov. Romney will undo all that Obama has done and it is a problem for me.

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Murf76 on January 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Do what you are comfortable with but don’t say home, the rest of the ballot will need your support.

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Interesting that Santorum is the favored 2nd choice of so many respondants.
He is probably the only candidate that both Newt and Romney supporters could support if their own candidate falters.

He would be crazy to quit the race at this point given the inherent weakness of Romney and unpredictablity of Newt mixed in the with prospect of a brokered convention.

Norwegian on January 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM

huckleberryfriend on January 20, 2012 at 8:33 PM

DannoJyd on January 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Check out the last figure in the post. Perry got 30% and Santorum only got 27% and the poll was taken after Perry had already announced his withdrawal.

huckleberryfriend on January 20, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Thanks for that. I’ve been all about ABO all this time… Anybody But Obama. And it just never occurred to me that we might end up with a candidate that I just couldn’t bring myself to pull the lever for. But you’re right. We need to support the other elections.

Murf76 on January 20, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I am convinced that the MSM and the Democrats are coordinating this whole thing to make Romney the nominee because their internal polling shows that they can beat him. Romney is he only one who will allow Obama to not run on his record. Romney has zero credibility on Obamacare because of Romneycare, and Romney is one of the demonized 1%. The MSM has been promoting the OWS movement for months to build the case against Romney. We can’t let Romney win the nomination. Ron Paul is a netball. Rick Santorum has the personality of a rock. That leaves us with Newt. He is flawed, no question. But he will take it to Obama in the debates like no other.

Go Newt!

lighthearted on January 21, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Once again, I missed the opportunity to participate in a HA opinion poll.

Lourdes on January 21, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Norwegian on January 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM

huckleberryfriend on January 20, 2012 at 8:33 PM

DannoJyd on January 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM

huckleberryfriend on January 20, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Obviously, that points out the irregularity if not unreliability of these popularity-polls online. They appear to be used mostly by Paul people to muck-up the appearance of public opinion. As in, for example, Perry’s suddenly “really popular” BECAUSE he dropped out, in their perspective.

Lourdes on January 21, 2012 at 1:23 AM

DannoJyd on January 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Perry won more than a few polls on Hot Air. Most recently, he came in FIRST PLACE in the poll released just before the Iowa caucus.

Jack_Burton on January 21, 2012 at 2:16 AM

NOMOBO on January 20, 2012 at 9:34 PM

/wink
ah, actually, I have an engineering degree so I actually think more like a man, too logical and pragmatic.

AND, I married an incredibly good looking man in my youth, I am completely cured of considering looks when assessing a man overall.

karenhasfreedom on January 21, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Murf76 on January 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Newt never attacked capitalism. That’s a Romney talking point. Mitt and his surrogates trout out the old “attacking capitalism” line to hide behind the mantle of capitalism every time his business practices are questioned.

If Mitt Romney is the great businessman he and his supporters proclaim he is, then why do they always try to shut down any discussion of his business record?

For the Romney surrogates to label questions about Mitt’s Bain record as “anti-capitalist” is chutzpah writ large.

After all, it’s Mitt Romney who saddled his state with the socialized healthcare plan known as Romneycare, the building block for Obamacare. Mitt wasn’t so worried about capitalism then, was he? ;-)

JonBGood on January 21, 2012 at 4:52 AM

The answer: point 6 of this plan.

fred5678 on January 20, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Apparently, reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit.

Harbingeing on January 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Unfortunately, the rest of the country won’t feel the same way in the general.

1punchWill on January 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM

If nominated, Newt won’t win the all important independent vote and will incite Democrats to turn out in droves to support Obama and his failed policies and Obama will win the general election. I can only hope my prediction is wrong.

SC.Charlie on January 21, 2012 at 12:51 PM

So many Hot Air citizens support Gingrich. It sure wouldn’t seem that way if you were just visiting.

The Romney supporters use every single thread to attack Romney’s opponents and anyone who dares to say anything at all bad about their candidate.

Two things:
I’m betting that once this nominating nonsense is over, whether or not Romney wins we will never see most of those annoying supporters ever again.

Open enrollment sucks.

29Victor on January 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Are independent voters immune to all ills that obama has brought?

Do they enjoy these ridiculous gas prices,? the higher than reported unemployment ? the corruption and waste emanating from Washington D.C. ?

Independents who lean right want this clown out of office,and will vote for just about any candidate in the general election.

Liberal independents are never going to change, so why pander to them ?

I’m just tired of hearing about alienating the Indies.

amadan on January 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM