Video: Romney heckled for not releasing his tax returns

posted at 11:00 pm on January 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

I don’t mind that he hasn’t released them half as much as I mind that his excuses are so feeble. He’s had five years to prepare a principled defense to this question. If, as Ed ably argued this morning, he opposes releasing them because he refuses to play the Democrats’ class-warfare game, just say that. He’ll get plenty of conservative support for telling the media to mind its own business, even though doing so will essentially challenge to them to dig deeper. But that’s not what he says; tonight, for the first time, he actually alluded to releasing returns for more than one year — just not until April, after the primaries will have been substantially decided. I don’t understand that logic at all. Basically he’s saying, “Yes, this is relevant and important enough that I should produce something, but only for general-election voters. Republican voters can go on wondering for another few months.” As it is, we’re left with Newt’s rebuttal: If Romney has nothing to hide and isn’t opposed in principle to releasing them, why not release them now? Does he think class-warfare attacks on his wealth by Gingrich would prove so effective that it would end up tipping the balance of power in the primaries? If that’s true then I really want him to release them. If hating the rich is what the new GOP electorate is all about, let’s find out sooner rather than later.

Exit quotation from Jonah Goldberg: “Romney can’t answer questions about his tax returns at all… He’s terrible at it and he needs to get better, quickly.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Come on, everybody knows it’s multiple system atrophy.

Igor R. on January 20, 2012 at 2:02 AM

LOL That’s what I was afraid you’d say. Sadly, the condition is fatal. So don’t you have to be up early for surgery or something?

cynccook on January 20, 2012 at 2:03 AM

cynccook on January 20, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I envy you. a legitimate way out from this world. I hope you have Christ Jesus foremost in your heart. God Bless and God Speed!

tom daschle concerned on January 20, 2012 at 2:06 AM

tom daschle concerned on January 20, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Actually I’m feeling quite a bit better. I hardly have any erectile dysfunction any more and my arms and legs are much more bendy.

cynccook on January 20, 2012 at 2:09 AM

cynccook on January 20, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Easy there Mr. Gingrich!

tom daschle concerned on January 20, 2012 at 2:11 AM

cynccook on January 20, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Well my lobotomy is scheduled for the afternoon, but I am late for the nightly electroshock therapy, so I have to go. Good night Cyndi!

Igor R. on January 20, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Easy there Mr. Gingrich!

tom daschle concerned on January 20, 2012 at 2:11 AM

LOL Okay, that was funny.

cynccook on January 20, 2012 at 2:12 AM

LOL Okay, that was funny.

cynccook on January 20, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Thanks. I really hope that you are not suffering what you have earlier claimed to be suffering. I want a conservative to win the presidency. I love individual liberty, I abhor government at every level.

tom daschle concerned on January 20, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Igor R. on January 20, 2012 at 2:11 AM

If you are that person, I hope it doesn’t make you uneasy that I was teasing you about your identity. I’m not sure where Schadenfreude came up with that, but even if it is true, I can’t see the harm? Unless your clientele is largely made up of rabid Democrats.

cynccook on January 20, 2012 at 2:14 AM

tom daschle concerned on January 20, 2012 at 2:14 AM

It’s kind of you to be concerned, but I’m still fairly young and helpfully (thank you, God). I was just trying to trick Igor into confirming his identity, but he didn’t want to give me the satisfaction, I guess!

cynccook on January 20, 2012 at 2:16 AM

It’s kind of you to be concerned, but I’m still fairly young and helpfully healthy (thank you, God). I was just trying to trick Igor into confirming his identity, but he didn’t want to give me the satisfaction, I guess!

cynccook on January 20, 2012 at 2:16 AM

cynccook on January 20, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Just took a walk outside and realized politics is sh!t. I have my own amazing life to live.

haner on January 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM

What you have learned is that most people operate on the level of Preferences not Principles. Politics is a dirty business and isn’t going to save anyone or even this country. I learned that during the Reagan revolution. Many of the not Romney people are grabbing on to anyone they think can beat him. I’ve been clear that I don’t like Romney but I don’t like the remaining choices either. To my small government Principles they are all big government conservatives. They will be more conservative in managing the progressive state but will they shrink it. That is the issue I am wrestling with. I have a tad over nine months to decide.

chemman on January 20, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Stayright on January 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM

liberal4life on January 20, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Just curious, what heretical break-off sect of the Catholic church do you two belong to? After all, that is what the Protestant reformation and Evangelism are… you are technically both heretics. Who gave you permission to splinter into unknown paths from the supposedly original church?

scotash on January 20, 2012 at 2:24 AM

You really need to remove yourself from the debate.

John the Libertarian on January 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM

It is true..Mormon doctrine is a fasle doctrine.
The Mormon Jesus is not the Jesus in the Bible.

Jesus was not married and did not have Children. But sometimes I got to admire Joseph Smith. This man found a way to write himself into the “Bible” incredible stuff I tell ya.

I bet Willard believes in all this crap

liberal4life on January 20, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Lobotomy4life…you see what time it is…past curfew…time to go back to moms basement! (ironic that they have been discussing your operation and shock treatments in this thread)Don’t forget your blankie!

KOOLAID2 on January 20, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Romney gets all stuttery when talking about his taxes. Even if there is nothing to hide, his reaction leads people to believe otherwise.

deuce on January 20, 2012 at 2:28 AM

chemman ,
I feel your pain . I only have a few days left to vote in the FL primary and I’m very
discouraged . No small govt. people around .

Lucano on January 20, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Romney is finished. He will lose SC and be 1 for 3 with no prospects of any future momentum. Its all downhill from here.

Romney should drop out and let this be a contest between Newt, Santorum and Paul.

Norwegian on January 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Are you kidding?!!!

Nevada Romney win by ~40% last time
Maine Romney win
February 7, Colorado Romney win
Minnesota Romney win
Missouri – non binding (unknown)
February 28, 2012 Arizona Romney win
Michigan Romney win (George Romney’s home state!)
March 3, 2012 Washington Romney win
March 6, 2012 (Super Tuesday)Alaska (unknown)
Georgia (Ok fine, Newt may win his home state)
Idaho Romney win
Massachusetts Romney win (duh!)
North Dakota (unknown)
Ohio (unknown)
Oklahoma (unknown)
Tennessee (unknown)
Vermont Romney win
Virginia Romney win, Newt isn’t even ON the ballot)
Wyoming Romney win

12 of the next 19 states are CERTAIN Romney wins, with 4-6 unknowns.

I have to call you out on you not knowing what you are talking about.

scotash on January 20, 2012 at 2:43 AM

This shouldn’t even be a big issue but Mitt is making it into a big stumbling block for himself with his lousy responses. Why all the stuttering and defensiveness?

tkyang99 on January 20, 2012 at 2:59 AM

I don’t know anyone in MI that is supporting Romney, and I live in the conservative part of the state.

karenhasfreedom on January 20, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Romney has always said he would release them in a couple months. He doesn’t want to put out a few years and than weeks later put out his 2011 returns. He wants to do it all at once. Again, Obama waited until March 26th of 2008 and Hillary waited until April to release their tax returns. The MSM and Mitthaters are actig like he is doing somethig wrong but he isn’t.

Roymunson on January 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Romney has never had a consistent position on this issue – remember when he said he’d have to look and see what past Presidents had done in an earlier debate?
I don’t think he’s doing something “wrong”….there is no requirement to release tax returns and if he doesn’t want to then he should just say he won’t. He is digging himself into a hole with saying “maybe” and “I’ll look into it” to a simple request. Now he pretty much has to at least release last year’s return or there will be a vacuum created that Obama and the Democrats will happily fill with wild speculation about what he’s “hiding.” It’s a bunch of crap, I know, but it’s politics and Mitt should have been prepared for this.

SleightOfHand on January 20, 2012 at 5:59 AM

good morning!

looks like i missed one heck of an opening last night…

cmsinaz on January 20, 2012 at 6:00 AM

good morning!

looks like i missed one heck of an opening last night…

cmsinaz on January 20, 2012 at 6:00 AM

cmsinaz:

GoodMorning,Newty gave John King,an Attitudinal Adjustment!:)

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 6:10 AM

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 6:10 AM

indeedy

protectecting obama by attacking the GOP….ZING!

side note: the barrett jackson auction is on the front page of the paper this am with a pic of the hearse that carried JFK’s body

cmsinaz on January 20, 2012 at 6:12 AM

morning joe booing mitt as well this am

cmsinaz on January 20, 2012 at 6:14 AM

So,Newt gets Ambushed by CNN,right out of the gate,
and now Morning Joe,opened with Newts Duel with John
King……

…..I see a pattern here of biased Lefty DNC MSM!!!!

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 6:14 AM

morning joe booing mitt as well this am

cmsinaz on January 20, 2012 at 6:14 AM

cmsinaz:Yup,I think,MSLSD gets talking points from the WH!:)

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 6:17 AM

The obvious lesson here that too many are missing is the Romney is really not a very good politician i.e. having the ability to get elected

After all these years he does not have an answer or plan for this? Really? Romney has one win, one term as gov of Mass. REALITY

georgealbert on January 20, 2012 at 6:23 AM

test

cmsinaz on January 20, 2012 at 6:26 AM

cmsinaz:Yup,I think,MSLSD gets talking points from the WH!:)

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 6:17 AM

straight from valerie jarret

cmsinaz on January 20, 2012 at 6:27 AM

There’s a reason Mitt was booed.

kingsjester on January 20, 2012 at 6:31 AM

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 6:17 AM

straight from valerie jarret
cmsinaz on January 20, 2012 at 6:27 AM

cmsinaz:Lol,ya,the female version of Hogan’s Hero’s
Sergeant Shultz!:)
(sarc)

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 6:34 AM

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 6:10 AM
indeedy

protectecting obama by attacking the GOP….ZING!

cmsinaz on January 20, 2012 at 6:12 AM

cmsinaz:Wow,thats interesting on the Hearse,and with the JFK
connection,I bet,it went for a high price!:)

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 6:36 AM

kingsjester on January 20, 2012 at 6:31 AM

yepper, good take KJ :)

cmsinaz on January 20, 2012 at 6:37 AM

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 6:34 AM

lol :)

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 6:36 AM

i think the owner wants a cool million for it…we shall see…

cmsinaz on January 20, 2012 at 6:39 AM

cmsinaz on January 20, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Thank you, ma’am!

kingsjester on January 20, 2012 at 6:44 AM

SleightOfHand on January 20, 2012 at 5:59 AM

I see Romney as the best equipped to beat Obama, but his answers on his tax returns are weak and timid. There is no reason for him to not have a good response ready for every question they ask him. Now the progressive attacks on him by Perry and Gingrich are disturbing, and it is an indictment on them, not Romney. But his stumbling around on the answer makes the issue him and not them.

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Weak answers on the Tax returns…weak

Gilligan left his at home on his computer but he’s honest cause he says so…Thurston Howell says he’ll do it in April but he’s not sure how far he’ll go back & the Skipper released his that day. Dr. Kookoobananas doesn’t want to be embarrassed?

These debates just aren’t as fun to watch anymore without the cowboy…just sayin’

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Oh boy,GOP Hari-Kari,by krauthammer!
————————————–

January 19, 2012 8:00 P.M.

The GOP’s Suicide March
************************
President Obama could not have chosen more self-destructive adversaries.

‘Are you better off today than you were $4 trillion ago?” — Former presidential candidate Rick Perry

It’s the campaign line of the year, and while the author won’t be carrying it into the general election, the eventual nominee will.

The charge is straightforward: President Obama’s reckless spending has dangerously increased the national debt while leaving unemployment high and the economy stagnant. Concurrently, he has vastly increased the scope and reach of government with new entitlements and oppressive regulation, with higher taxes to come (to offset the unprecedented spending).

In 2010, that narrative carried the Republicans to historic electoral success. Through most of 2011, it dominated Washington discourse. The air was filled with debt talk: ceilings, supercommittees, Simpson-Bowles.

What’s the incumbent to do? He admits current conditions are bad. He knows that his major legislative initiatives — Obamacare, the near-trillion-dollar stimulus, (the rejected) cap-and-trade — are unpopular. If you can’t run on stewardship or policy, how do you win re-election?

Create an entirely new narrative. Push an entirely new issue. Change the subject from your record and your ideology, from massive debt and overreaching government, to fairness and inequality. Make the election a referendum on which party really cares about you, which party will stand up to the greedy rich who have pillaged the 99 percent and robbed the middle class of hope.

(More..)
==========

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 6:52 AM

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Perry asked for the tax returns because in Texas politicians have to release them each year by law. Perry’s are on record going back to the mid 80′s and he always challenges an opponent on that cause if they refuse it looks bad. White refused to release his and he lost.

Gingrich will keep hammering Mitt about it and the more Mitt hems and haws the worse Mitt will look.

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Krauthammer’s point is that by fighting Romney on Obama’s Class War ground, Perry and Newt have likely sealed his fate and their own. A heresy far worse than any Mit “flip flop.” These guys went OWS after Iowa.

AYNBLAND on January 20, 2012 at 6:57 AM

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Obama will fold the Texas economy into his national data and say “Look Folks we are turnin’ things around…”

Bill Clinton will act as surrogate confirming it and Obama will makeover himself into the likable guy…gullible voters will fall for it.

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 6:58 AM

AYNBLAND on January 20, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Awesome ain’t it?

/sarc

CW on January 20, 2012 at 7:03 AM

AYNBLAND on January 20, 2012 at 6:57 AM

BS.

But you go ahead and tow that clearchannel toadie line…Perry went after Newt over ties to Freddie Mac. Why not be upset about that?

Now Thurston is going to be the washington outsider candidate as opposed to Gilligan and the Skipper?…lame.

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Dr. K used to work for Mondale. While he’s a very smart man, there are times when he is just not that intuitive when in comes to being in sync with the feelings of the average American in the Heartland.

kingsjester on January 20, 2012 at 7:05 AM

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 6:52 AM

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 6:58 AM

workingclass artist:Good point,fudging the books,
and Lefty Math!!

canopfor on January 20, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Tru dat Canopfor

cmsinaz on January 20, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Romney should release his tax returns, medical records and college transcripts and then challenge everyone else, including the Democrat Party nominee, to do the same.

Basilsbest on January 20, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Really? Taxes? that is the MOST important issue our country is facing?

I thought Romney’s answer was fine. I’ll release my taxes IF/WHEN I am the nominee…otherwise this is all political grandstanding. Paul and Santorum have NOT as of the debate time and there is NO fervor for them SHOWING this is ALL political and, unfortunately as conservatives, playing into the Democrat divide and conquer mold!

Get a grip conservatives! IF Romney is the nominee he WILL release his records.

You need to recall that Reagan FOUGHT AGAINST this as well and did not release his till a month before the election…how we forget history.

g2825m on January 20, 2012 at 7:33 AM

I’m very shocked that there isn’t a post about Herman Cain’s “unconventional” endorsement, or did I miss it? I saw it on the news this morning. He endorsed us, the American people! I felt like the kid in “Christmas Story” when he opened up the bunny pajamas.

Night Owl on January 20, 2012 at 7:39 AM

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 6:46 AM

csdeven,
I know you and I both support Romney and because I am overseas, I have to read the transcripts of the debates and I thought his answer was fine. I am sire the video looks worse but his answer was cogent and he said IF I am the nominee I will release them. I thought his argument that he thought it was funny that it was the Repubs taking the same line of attack the Democrats would be…very good point. He has stated there is nothing in there that is earth shattering and yes, he made a lot of money and there is nothing wrong with that and cannot wait to make that point against Obama. I thought he did very well on this despite what MANY here on HA say…but that is been the common thread here anyway.

g2825m on January 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Night owl, there is another thread below on Cains endorsement

cmsinaz on January 20, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Another great line by Romney earlier:
“You were mentioned once in Ronald Reagan’s diary,” Romney said. “He said that you had an idea in a meeting with young congressman, he didn’t think it was a good idea and he dismissed it.”

The Washington Examiner’s Michael Barone reported on this earlier today, noting that Reagan dismissed Gingrich’s idea for a spending freeze because it would freeze defense spending, and that if he made an exception for defense all the special interests would demand one too.

I thought Romney was strong tonight in combating Gingrich’s associations with Reagan and that Gingrich HIMSELF was solely responsible for the economy during the eighties/nineties as he would like you to believe. Romney’s comment of Hey, Newt, do not take credit for my 25 years of business success!

g2825m on January 20, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Again, I thought Romney had a great debate tonight and believe SC will also reward him with a win on Sat. g2825m on January 20, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Mitt had a great night. So much so that many Mitt haters like predator were praising his statements.

Basilsbest on January 20, 2012 at 7:57 AM

g2825m on January 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM

We’ll have to disagree on this point. I don’t know if the transcripts you get include the hesitations and stumbles in words. He stutters with several words before deciding on the one he wants to use. I know I am spoiled by his excellent debates, but over the last week, he has had some real problems with this issue. Gingrich’s use of meaningless sound bites is playing well with the folks of SC and Romney is having a problem connecting on this tax question. Having said that, I just watched him on F&F and his answer was much better. It’s just that once he decided that he was going to run, he should have a perfect answer to this very simple question.

But in the end, even if he loses SC, he’ll still win the nomination because his steady presidential demeanor and style is what the people of FL and beyond are looking for. Even last night, Gingrich’s reliance on meaningless sound bites and childish attacks on the LSM were not getting the same response when it was clear he was falling back on them when his facade was stripped away.

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I wonder why Ron Paul is so feeble in his answer. Perhaps he doesn’t want us to see his “charity contributions” to Stormfront and various 9.11 Truthers?

Masih ad-Dajjal on January 20, 2012 at 8:05 AM

g2825m on January 20, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I agree. Romney and Santorum nailed Gingrich on his narcissism and it flustered him. The people of SC got to see what Gingrich is all about. His hubris informs his actions and his actions are those of an academic who likes to have big ideas that he and he alone can solve and if anyone challenges him, he snaps.

Another issue I noticed last night. Gingrich is only showing gains in polls that only include republicans. In polls that include all like voters on Saturday, Romney still has a 12 point lead. SC is an open primary and all voters are allowed to participate. I cannot say that Rasmussen is gaming the narrative, but it does seem irresponsible to only poll republicans in a state like SC. I’m sure we’ll see another poll or two before Saturday and if the pattern persists, I think Saturday could be much different that the rep only results are suggesting.

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 8:10 AM

AYNBLAND on January 20, 2012 at 6:57 AM
BS.

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Because attacking Newt on Freddie or his affairs or his backing of a HC Mandate is an attack from the RIGHT on something to the Left, a “Conservative” partaking in something “Liberal.” Fannie and Freddie are prima facie examples of Great Societ Left Wing Social Engineering. Attacking Mitt about RomneyCare or flip flopping on Abortion is fair game because they’re of the “left.”

For a Republican/Conservative to adopt and use Obama’s own Anti Captialist, Class War Narrative to take out another Republican is beyond the pale. Newt did the same thing by tossing Paul Ryan’s Budget and Medicare reform under the bus at the most crucial part of that debate. He nixed the conversation.

The fact that you can’t see that, makes you no different than the Left Wingers who will use these same narratives to beat whomever is nominated. They’ve used your hatred of Romney to turn you into a whore for anyone that can beat him using any left wing tactic.

AYNBLAND on January 20, 2012 at 8:11 AM

btw “workingclass artist” maybe I got it wrong, I assumed you were a conservative.

Then again a Conservative wouldn’t use the term “working class,” especially name themselves “working class.” The term presupposes that other “classes” of people (usually white collar) don’t work. That’s a Left Wing notion.

Plus your use of “Thurston” and the Gilligan references would be something that Ed Schultz or Chris Matthews would affix to Romney in their struggle to class war him into oblvion. So, just in case you think you’e a Conservative. You may want to rethink it.

AYNBLAND on January 20, 2012 at 8:18 AM

He demanded them for the same reason he attacked him on free market capitalism. His campaign was failing and he was desperate. So he went after his success at Bain in an attempt to get some traction with voters. He and Gingrich seriously underestimated the voters and they rejected them for it. Then he went after him on the tax records and that did get some traction, but not enough to save him.

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 6:54 AM

That is true. Romney better get a good answer or the attacks will never end. But it is still an attack of free market capitalism because Gingrich thinks Romney’s wealth will turn off primary voters. Just look at his reason for the attack. Because we need to know if there is anything there even though traditionally tax records are not released until April. He acts as if a tax return is the lynchpin of all campaigns. They are issues only if there is cheating involved. We presume people innocent until proven guilty yet Gingrich is presuming Romney guilty with zero evidence.

In the final analysis these attacks on the free market and the success Romney has achieved are simply the acts of desperate candidates who cannot stand against his private sector record. It may work in SC, but it wont work anywhere else. Gingrich is on a slash and burn campaign because he ego cannot stand the thought that he isn’t qualified to take on Obama in the current atmosphere. These attacks will be shoved right down his throat as the campaign moves forward.

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 8:23 AM

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 7:03 AM

By Thurston I assume you are referring to Romney?

It appears by your disdain for successful people that you are jealous and probably a failure. Is that the case or can you present a rational argument backed up with facts that justify your attacks on successful folks?

Is that why you use progressive-speak as your handle? “Working Class”?

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM

If, as Ed ably argued this morning, he opposes releasing them because he refuses to play the Democrats’ Newty and Ricky’s desperate class-warfare game, just say that.

FIFY

cicerone on January 20, 2012 at 8:35 AM

AYNBLAND on January 20, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Wow. I’m getting the same vibe from him that you are.

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Who cares? If he was not audited and paid his taxes who gives a rip about his forms?
So he made $100m and is worth $300m. What is the big deal?

He said he would release them in April, all at one time. Enough of this inquiry.

FireBlogger on January 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM

AYNBLAND on January 20, 2012 at 8:18 AM & csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I’m a conservative from Texas with a sense of humor…sorry neither of you don’t have a sense of humor or anything other than argumentum ad hominem attacks.

I have used the workinglass artist moniker for seven years as a wry comment on my profession that is riddled with stale academics and designers disguised and promoted as artists.

If you don’t like it…Bite Me!

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 8:42 AM

If you don’t like it…Bite Me!

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Look, I didn’t take your moniker as progressive until you started talking like a progressive. You attack free market capitalism through demanded Romney’s tax returns, his record at Bain, and his success in general with you “Thurston” comment. You must take responsibility for your words.

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Mitt had some great answers, as did Paul. Paul beeeyotch-slapped Santorum and made him look like a fool. Santorum’s comment about “you can’t do whatever you want on the internet” will get out to younger voters and be toxic. As far as Gingrich, he talks too much and tries to sound smart. He knows how to speak but manages to say very little of substance.

All red meat and platitudes, like your local sports radio jockey.

antisense on January 20, 2012 at 8:46 AM

AYNBLAND on January 20, 2012 at 8:11 AM

No doubt you have no idea where that phrase Beyond the Pale comes from do you…

The Pale was the wall/boundary built by the Invading Normans (British) to keep out the native Irish as they started a centuries long campaign of genocide against the native Irish.

Beyond the pale meant the justification of brutal conquest of the Savage Irish by exiling their chieftains, outlawing their language,traditions,religion,clans/families,stealing their land,starvation,selling them into slavery,shipping them off to the colonies, an institutionalized pogrom to kill the native soul of a people.

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 8:55 AM

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I happen to like the idea of politicians being transparent and accountable to voters…works well in Texas cause it deflates a propaganda tool for the democrats.

I live in the only state that is thriving because of conservative governance that promotes business so that argument don’t fly.

Sorry I don’t fit into your one size fits all conservative behavioral model…I’m a native Texan and could care less.

*next*

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM

You know, the thing is, that this is coming from Republicans shilling for some other candidate.

hawkdriver on January 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM

but it does seem irresponsible to only poll republicans in a state like SC.

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 8:10 AM

ummmmm….maybe it’s because it is a Republican primary? Just a guess, but I don’t think the dems have a candidate on the ticket….duhhhhh!
I don’t think this is the only poll taken, so others cover a broader group of voters…
Mitt is losing ground, despite his remarkable amount of spending…he lost Iowa, despite his remarkable amount of spending, but he did win NH, because of his remarkable amount of spending.
The question is: How can someone spend the millions that Mitt has spent, and not have won more than just NH, one of the smallest states in the union. It’s only 290 sq. miles, that’s only like 15 miles by 20 miles, a little over 1 million people. You can cover that in just a few days of street campaigning…
SC will be a better test of what Mitt can do…if he can’t win SC, one of his target states, it may be over for him.

right2bright on January 20, 2012 at 9:07 AM

The heckling in the audience I mean.

workingclass, I kind of surmised that’s what your screen-name might have meant. I can relate to it a bit.

hawkdriver on January 20, 2012 at 9:09 AM

The last thing people should worry about is Mitt’s tax returns, he has enough baggage to drag him down that is worthy of attacking him on…one group will ridicule him on charitable, saying he is a puppet to the Mormon’s…another will say he is “dodging” for taking valid tax credits, another will attack him for speaking fees, offshore accounts, etc…and they will all take their toll.
We should see it before a candidate is considered as a nominee, just to make sure there is nothing in there to sink him, and to flush out the real problems and attacks…but Newt is right, it is Rooney’s campaign, and he should run it how he feels it best suits his campaign. Not revealing his tax returns is a strategy he thinks benefits him.

right2bright on January 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Questioner: “Gentlemen, when will you release your tax returns?”

Paul: “I’m not going to release mine because those guys are richer than me.”

Santorum: “You want taxes or you want a campaign? As soon as I can sit down in front of my home computer and finish them.”

Gingrich: “I released some old returns an hour ago. And furthermore, blah blah blah fundemental fact blah blah Romney blah blah blah responsiblity blah blah blah blah…”

Romney: “As is the tradition, I’ll release my current returns in April, along with a number of prior years.”

Am I missing something?

Mr. Arkadin on January 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM

The heckling in the audience I mean.

hawkdriver on January 20, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Michaelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simon was a workingclass artist who may have been a shirt tail relative of nobility who spent 4 years getting messy creating one of the finest murals in the Western world…and quite a few excellent sculptures and St. Peters Square as well.

Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn, a son of a miller and a bakers daughter worked for the emerging middle class merchants and did some kickass stuff but died penniless after his early celebrity cause he was not politically correct and kinda a lousy businessman.

Most of us although not to the artistic level of Michaelangelo or Rembrandt are small business owners & independent contractors working for the same buck and the same patrons we always did…nothin wrong with that.

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I think it’s sad that republicans are playing the class warfare card. Who said OWS had no impact?

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on January 20, 2012 at 9:35 AM

right2bright on January 20, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I don’t know if S.C. is a good test either, it’s an open primary. With no primary of their own to worry about, I am sure Dems wouldn’t mind voting in the Republicans’.

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Hey, if you think the progressive idea that you can demand the records with no proof is cool, then that is your deal. Gingrich is attacking free market capitalism and the people of Florida will punish him for it.

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM

.maybe it’s because it is a Republican primary?

right2bright on January 20, 2012 at 9:07 AM

ALL citizens can vote, dem and indies alike. Ergo, all voters should be polled.

Understand?

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I like that Texas along with Tennessee tops the states for governmental transparency scoring a 96%

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 10:32 AM

workingclass artist on January 20, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Right. You like attacking free market capitalism disguised behind doing what is “best for the country”.

We get it dude.

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Yep, just as I suspected at the outset. Per John Sununu, who was in the audience, the heckling came from “two Ron Paul supporters who began heckling before he answered the question.”

Buy Danish on January 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Did you see Gov McDonnell from VA just endorsed Romney and will campaign with him in SC today and tomorrow. I have not looked off of this thread yet to see if Ed, Allah, Tina, et al have posted anything on this…
McDonnell being a Southern Governor should give Romney a slight bump with Gov Haley also backing Romney…I would think that should carry some weight with voters that Romney is a solid candidate and MY hope our next POTUS…we need his executive experience and steadiness something I believe both Santorum and Gingrich lack in that respective order.

g2825m on January 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM

g2825m on January 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM

It is supremely hilarious that folks who have been beating the purity drum for a year, are now not so pure by supporting Gingrich.

He’s an empty suit. An academic narcissist. An adulterer. Unstable. Unethical. Inflexible. Anti-capitalist. And was involved with Freddie.

csdeven on January 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Not interested in someones tax returns nor do I care what an ex wife has to say…Neither one of these are what I take into account when deciding who to vote for……there are far more important things to ponder over IMO…..

Karla1953 on January 20, 2012 at 2:33 PM

The correct Romney response would be, “I’ll release my tax returns when Obama releases his passport records and school records.” (Of course, that requires some courage on Romney’s part, and the issue has not yet been tested with focus groups.)

Colony14 on January 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM