Video: Gingrich rips CNN moderator for asking about his ex-wife, of course

posted at 9:01 pm on January 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite. BuzzFeed cynically titles this exchange, “Gingrich Wins The GOP Debate In The First Five Minutes.” Really? He won a policy debate with the sort of paint-by-numbers media-bashing grandstanding that literally everyone knew was coming? If that’s enough to win a Republican presidential debate these days, we’re in worse shape than I thought.

Let’s face it: The real winner of this debate is Mitt Romney for saying he’s lived in “the real streets of America.” Wait, what?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

AW nuts. ive been missing this due to the time difference. i hate being late!

Drunk Report on January 19, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Aw gee I missed it.

I’ll read through the 1,000 comments on the live feed and get up to speed.

Bishop on January 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM

It’s your own fault, you Newtwit. You and the rest of the idiot GOP candidates sitting for yet another debate moderated by leftist media members of the Obama campaign.

How stupid can you get?

Jaibones on January 19, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Standing O

Southernblogger on January 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Newt goes nuclear!

Dack Thrombosis on January 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I instantly think back to 2008 and reading a column on HuffPo of Obama having grown up on the “mean streets”……….of Hawaii.

Marcus on January 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Not going to be lost in over 1k comments.

Mitt cannot win.

Watching this debate, he’s a good time, glad hands, grip and grin business man. Good for him. Carry on, Mitt.

He has no chance of winning the Presidency. That fact is being borne out before our very eyes.

Key West Reader on January 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Newt’s response was so good that, yes, I think he won it in the first 5 minutes.

Conservative_Hippie on January 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Allah you’re a joke. You don’t understand that he won it because he understands the real enemy of conservatives is not the Democratics, but the media, which is the greatest enabler of the aforementioned political party. Being president is as much about being able to stand up to a manipulative press, and as Gingrich noted, they make it very hard to govern this country. You seem to revel in working right along side them.

SuperBunny on January 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Newt was awesome! Got another STANDING OVATION from the audience!

Sparky5253 on January 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Hey folks, don’t clink on Drunk Reports link. Layers of pop-ups, it shut my browser down and I got a spy-ware warning.

Get the word out.

hawkdriver on January 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Allahpundit:

Are you watching the same debate we are?

THE PEOPLE LOVED NEWT’S ANSWER! You are on the wrong side of this one!

Sparky5253 on January 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM

You’re right, Super Bunny. He’s the only person who ever got a question from the media about infidelity. That never happened to, say, Gary Hart during a campaign.

If he came out for cap and trade *and* the individual mandate at this debate and then turned around and called the media “evil,” you’d give him a standing O. And if you’re intent on insulting me on my own site, you’re welcome to mosey along and not read it anymore.

Allahpundit on January 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM

THE PEOPLE LOVED NEWT’S ANSWER! You are on the wrong side of this one!

Good point. Newt’s grandstanding worked, therefore I’m wrong to note that it’s grandstanding and has nothing to do with the sort of policy questions this debate’s supposed to be about.

Allahpundit on January 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I thought King was going to cry…

slickwillie2001 on January 19, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Wow, I had issues w/Gingrich but I have to admit his answer to John King/media was spicy and delicious!!!

He’s making inroads on me.

This, having Gov. palin’s support, I’m almost their…

Danielvito on January 19, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Man, Newt Gingrich would shred PBHO in a debate like wheat before a reaper, and the way he took it to CNN was beautiful. The MSM is mostly trash and they need to be treated like trash.

Bishop on January 19, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Remember when righteous indignation required the indignant to be righteous? Yeah. Those were good times.

Rational Thought on January 19, 2012 at 9:15 PM

The question has nothing to do with the policy issues this debate is supposed to be about…John Edwards comes to mind.

d1carter on January 19, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Heh.

BallisticBob on January 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM

As long is Newt isn’t a one trick pony there shouldn’t be any complaints. Going after the media can’t be his only talent, no matter how amusing.

Cindy Munford on January 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Well said.

Allahpundit on January 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I didn’t see it coming. And if you DID see it coming, then the only reason you saw it coming was because Newt has proven he’s willing to take the media on directly.

rjcylon on January 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM

He doesn’t seem to have a problem with asking these questions to Clinton.

The Bible hated hypocrites even more than adulterers.

haner on January 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM

i love the look on king’s face. like he hates the bigs that forced him to ask the questions

rik on January 19, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Mitt has destroyed Newt after those first five minutes. More importantly, Santorum eviscerated Newt on his “grandiosity.” If you think Newt’s winning this debate, you’re high.

AYNBLAND on January 19, 2012 at 9:18 PM

AP, you are going to be a sore loser. Hope you show how to fall in line behind the winner when Newt is nominated.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on January 19, 2012 at 9:19 PM

if you’re intent on insulting me on my own site, you’re welcome to mosey along

Allahpundit on January 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I KNEW IT

AP = ROMNEY

BAIN = CAIN

Thanks folks I’ll be here for an hour or so. Try the tilapia.

Ugly on January 19, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Playing with fire!

LeftCoastRight on January 19, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Aw, how cute. Fatty can ask Bill Clinton about a bj but no one can ask Fatty about an ex-wife.

Lord on January 19, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I love the dismissive head shake he gives during the applause at the end. “Why can’t these SC hicks shut the h*ll up?” he thought.

levi on January 19, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Standing Ovation

Willard was shocked

liberal4life on January 19, 2012 at 9:20 PM

AP, you are going to be a sore loser.

Makes sense, except for the fact that I’m not rooting for any of his opponents.

Allahpundit on January 19, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Looks like there were some women in their.

Oops. wrong tab

WryTrvllr on January 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM

idea = drink game!

haner on January 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Allahpundit on January 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Ah, Beta Boy wants Beta Boy for president. How shocking!

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM

there

WryTrvllr on January 19, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Sheep….

If only Herman Cain attacked the moderator “with a spine” when his woman came out with about the same amount of evidence of words as Newt’s ex-wife. He would still be in and leading.

If Newt is not out by next week after the full 2hr interview is broadcast, even with this attack on the someones “truth” Gloria A will make an appearance with his mistress that no one knows about and the right will still go Meh, he had a good debate.

tjexcite on January 19, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Mitt sucks, Newt won’t win. We have such a terrific chance to win this election and we are stuck with Mitt and Newt. Obama will have an easy path to re-election

mrscullen on January 19, 2012 at 9:22 PM

So this proves that social issues are not on many people’s radar? Mitch Daniels hardest hit, oh, and Iowa.

SouthernGent on January 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

You didn’t see it coming after Rush Limbaugh did an extended segment about it this afternoon and then Palin called into Hannity to lay into the “lamestream media”? He takes on the media directly because it’s the easiest thing to do to earn points on the right. There’s no surer applause line, ever. So he rolled it out here, and sure enough: APPLAUSE!

Allahpundit on January 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

How stupid can you get?

Jaibones on January 19, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Oh, I don’t think it hurt Mr. Gingrich very much tonight.

I do take your point: for a while the idiot GOP (remember, we’re the stupid party) had indeed let the media, print and broadcast, set the agenda, and the Obama campaign was especially skilled in 2008 in using that.

But I think we’re seeing that Republicans, and not just Mr. Gingrich, will go after the media on this point, and for exactly the reason we saw tonight at that studio — Mr. Gingrich ripped the moderator and got a standing ovation in response. That video will reverberate through the internet over the next several days.

You can’t BUY that as a political candidate.

I think the ‘sell by’ date on these types of attacks has come and gone. I think the public, particularly the conservative side, gets it and is no longer willing to sit through it passively. I think there is going to be significant blowback.

The real question is whether Mr. Axelrod and Mr. Plouffe understand that, and how in response they’re going to run against the Pub nominee.

Steve White on January 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Ah, Beta Boy wants Beta Boy for president. How shocking!

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Who’s the Beta Boy I want for president, CF? You can’t possibly be suggesting it’s Romney; you’re a regular reader of the site so you know my feelings about him. So who?

Allahpundit on January 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM

We interrupt this racist thread for a message from Black Americans

We have left the Dem plantation. We don’t care anymore.

Key West Reader on January 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Americans want adulltery, betrayal and jobs.

aloysiusmiller on January 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Ugggghhhh.

At least they should be vetted by the time they get nominated.

I’m not enthused about any of them, but who is closest to being a FEARLESS, CONSISTENT Limited Govt CONSERVATIVE?

Santorum, and he has a great family and story.

Allen West would be awesome for VEEP.

PappyD61 on January 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Allahpundit on January 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

That’s true we are easy but Newt has gone after the media in every debate.

Cindy Munford on January 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Allahpundit on January 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Yeah, it was Romney. I just wanted to rattle your cage. I love you.

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Allahpundit on January 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Allah is down in the trenches tonight. It feels weird. I like you better as our benevolent ruler on high. Our atheist Hot Air god.

Ampersand on January 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Newt’s only option was to humble himself before the question to garner the media’s approval. That would have been the correct, righteous, and much more difficult thing to do. He should have also gotten the audience to boo him, like they’ve done to Ron Paul. That would have demonstrated true courage.

RedRedRice on January 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I consider the media a bigger threat then the Democrats. The Democrats have a balanced foil in the Republicans. And Democrats can be voted out of power. The media can’t. The media has enormous power and are using it more and more in manipulative and bias ways.

We conservatives and Republicans MUST fight them harder then we do the Democrats. I do not understand conservatives and Republicans that don’t get this.

KMav on January 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Americans want adulltery, betrayal and jobs.

aloysiusmiller on January 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Well, most people do get back stabbed and screwed while on the job. But the paycheck doesn’t suck :-)

WryTrvllr on January 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

But hey, Allah, at least we both agree that Romney is the beta boy.

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

He doesn’t seem to have a problem with asking these questions to Clinton.

The Bible hated hypocrites even more than adulterers.

haner on January 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Do you know what perjury is? Render unto Caesar.

Finbar on January 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Anybody notice that he denied that he asked his ex for an open marriage? I’m thinking if he’s telling the truth at all, he’s likely splitting hairs on the exact terminology. I believe his wife said he put it in terms of not giving up his mistress rather than using the words, “open marriage”. Do I think she’s telling the truth. Yeah, I do.

The only shot he had to salvage his career in those days would’ve been to get Marianne to cover for him, and cheaters in long term affairs typically don’t want to give up their affair partner. I think for all intents and purposes, Gingrich lied.

Murf76 on January 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Get the word out.

hawkdriver on January 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Thanks. I had a Fake Trojan attack once, not fun.

bluefox on January 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I wish they all would go after the LSM…BHO does it…the media is responsible for his cool, aloof, detached, do nothing persona…

d1carter on January 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM

d1carter on January 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Yeah, that was a funny development. The LSM is the reason he has the popularity that he enjoys now.

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Murf76 on January 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I’ll admit you’ve put a lot more thought into it than I have. I just can’t find it in me to care.

And Allah. BuzzFeed was stupid but Gingrich was great in his answer. I really find the his approach refreshing. It’s very “Christie” of him.

Good answer Gingrich. Now on to the important stuff.

Ampersand on January 19, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Well will you look at that. Mr. King just got hisself a brand spankin’ new a**h*le

Stu Gotts on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Allah, call me intuitive but I get the feeling from your tweets that you are unimpressed with the choices.

Cindy Munford on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM

And I’m still waiting for Brian Ross to interview Larry Sinclair

Stu Gotts on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Regardless of whether Newt wins the nomination, he knows exactly the right buttons to push when it comes to excoriating the media. His performance was sheer artistry and he gave vent to not only the South Carolinians, but everyone in the country who is fed up with supercilious liberals and the obvious leftist agenda of most of the media. It is an interesting dynamic that CNN, MSNBC, et al are ramping up their criticism of Fox and at the same time Fox’s numbers are climbing even higher. I have little doubt that Newt expected this all along and was more than prepared for it. That may or may not translate into votes, but right now he is the absolute darling of the right.

KyWriter on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Good for Newt. Now if only at least one of the candidates had done something similar in each of the prior so-called ‘debates’.

GarandFan on January 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Do you know what perjury is? Render unto Caesar.

Finbar on January 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Funny how some nuances are lost…
Perjury… not important.. not anywhere in the U.S.
But the morons think that the Clinton impeachment was about sex, not perjury.

Obama isn’t a “natural born” citizen. Not because of WHERE, but because of who his parents were. To be “natural born” both of your parents have to be citizens. See Dreams of my father… Kenya doesn’t count. But the media and scribbling class have focused on the birth certificate and they are all happy to anoint that bad forgery as “proof” that Barry was born here, and thereby burying the real point.

I guess I could dig more, but these are enough for me. The 4th Estate is useless. (Even the jammie wearing bunny slipper set.)

CrazyGene on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

But he knew it was coming. Any one of you guys could have prepared an equally sharp media attack. We’re giving him tons of credit here for the single easiest question he’ll ever get. It’d be like if King had asked him, “Are terrorists bad?” and Newt had unloaded with a “damn right they’re bad!” monologue. True enough, but — c’mon.

Allahpundit on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

That was funny and no doubt he’ll be attacked for having been on Wall Street and Beacon Street and streets with no name.

SouthernGent on January 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Good point.

Buy Danish on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

The only thing that will be remembered of this debate is
Newt’s smackdown of the media. I say good for him! It has been a long time coming! Someone besides Palin has the cojones to
not put up with their crapola.

This is the type of person I want as leader. Someone who won’t
put up with the crapola from the left or rinos.

Amjean on January 19, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I Think Newt is listening to Rush too much…thinking if he just brings down enough fire and brimstone on the media boogeyman, everyone will cheer for and love him for it. I need something more…Newt will let us down, I can see it coming already. He’ll step in it by praising something/someone stupid, and think he’s clever enough to get away with it. He’s such an arrogant fraud. Of all the horrible scenarios, the worst for me besides a second term for President Obama, is having to vote for Newt to avoid it.

ellifint on January 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Hey Newt. Instead of blaming the media for your actions, maybe you should take responsibility for them! You’ve made your bed, now you have to sleep in it.

nazo311 on January 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Not impressed.

changer1701 on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Can someone ask them about Turkey’s power to cut the flow of the Euphrates River? I think it’s a relevent issue.

SouthernGent on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Summary of Newt at the debate: “I have big ideas, don’t question me”

haner on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Figures the raving wing of the base is impressed when Newt looks like a shrill, angry rabid animal.

Reality, he gives most objective voters the shivers.

swamp_yankee on January 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM

The leftist media, in its longstanding and intentional attempts to destroy this country, is responsible for most of the problems in this country.
Period.

justltl on January 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM

True enough, but — c’mon.

Allahpundit on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

True enough, indeed.

But it’s also true that if one of the other guys was hit with a rediculous personal question like that, they’d flub it.

Rebar on January 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM

i think you have overanalyzed this one. if he went out there every time and eloquently (and in a pre-planned and arranged manner) explained the merits of conservatism, capitalism, free-markets, why we are wary of the government and liberals and the hidden agenda of environmentalism, whatever, i would get excited every time.

the fact that we knew it was coming is irrelevant. we are tired of the alternative, which is all the huntsmen, romney, and mccains of the world who bend over backwards in attempts to be ‘accepted’ and seen as reasonable (as opposed to those crazy conservatives) and all that crap.

so every time and as predictable as he can be, fine. just do it well and do it often and i will forgive a whole heap of sins. it is at least a start. and at least something he can be trusted on. (as opposed to wanting to go all ‘reasonable’ once in office)

truecon on January 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Allahpundit on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

But it was a good answer. I’ll give him credit for a good answer. Sadly a lot of other candidates wouldn’t have been as forceful in their answer. It wasn’t the typical politician speak non-answer.

Credit (however little) where credit is due and move along to issues that actually matter. If people try to make his answer into a bigger issue than it should be then it’s not Newts fault.

Personally I can’t seem to muster any real emotion about the entire thing either way. Yeah the media is being a little slimy, but today also ends in a “y.”

Ampersand on January 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM

He doesn’t seem to have a problem with asking these questions to Clinton.

The Bible hated hypocrites even more than adulterers.

haner on January 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Adultery got you executed. Hypocrisy got you, what?

Darth Executor on January 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM

It’s interesting that Gingrich addresses the crowd and Romney speaks directly to John King. Why is that, I wonder?

cynccook on January 19, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Adultery got you executed. Hypocrisy got you, what?

Darth Executor on January 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM

The Bible would paper cut you because that book was soooo mad!!! It was an angry book!

Ampersand on January 19, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Newt – How dare you question my Jerry springer past – let’s talk about the future baby!

Swerve22 on January 19, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Americans like “fair play” and they like to root for the underdog.

The MSM just, seemingly inadvertently, gave Newt the Presidency.

CrazyGene on January 19, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Americans like “fair play” and they like to root for the underdog.

The MSM just, seemingly inadvertently, gave Newt the Presidency.

CrazyGene on January 19, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Slow your roll a bit there. Lets not get crazy.

Ampersand on January 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM

by Allahpundit

Yep.

TitularHead on January 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Ampersand on January 19, 2012 at 9:40 PM

It bothers me that the guy very likely stood there and lied. It bothers me that he never hesitates to tell a lie if he thinks he’ll benefit politically by doing it. I can’t trust somebody like that.

Murf76 on January 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Newt, get used to it. It’s going to get worse.

Philly on January 19, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Oh man, when Newt is on he is ON. But when is he off he is OFF. But he was ON here. Love seeing the liberal media ripped to shreds.

gumble on January 19, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Considering Newt ran an ad about Romney’s dog, I’m not feeling sorry for him.

Zaggs on January 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Adultery got you executed. Hypocrisy got you, what?

Darth Executor on January 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Hell?

haner on January 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Murf76 on January 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Did you ever live on the far west side of the south rim?

WryTrvllr on January 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I don’t know if Newt would shred Obama. Obama will be able to debate Newt, which debate moderators cannot do so well given the format. Newt hasn’t really zinged anyone but Ron Paul, and that’s not a huge feat. Rick Santorum and Michelle Bachmann zinged Paul too.

Debating skills do not matter much in the long run; Obama is a great orator and can hold his own in debates. We need a leader, not a pontificator/adulterer.

Philly on January 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM

If Newt thinks this is bad, wait until One-bama and the MSM get a hold of him.

NickDeringer on January 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM

There’s no way of knowing this of course as it’s purely hypothetical, but would the true conservative wing of the GOP be this indignant about the media if Bill Clinton was being asked about his affair/marriage?

Buy Danish on January 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Murf76 on January 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM

You want a politician that doesn’t lie.

I want to make sweet sweet love to Sofía Vergara. My fantasy may be just as unrealistic, but at least It’s more exciting.

Ampersand on January 19, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Considering Newt ran an ad about Romney’s dog, I’m not feeling sorry for him.
Zaggs on January 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Ha! I’d forgotten about that. And he speaks French. Time to get indignant! Mitt channeling Newt: How DARE YOU bring this up on the eve of the CNN debate!

Buy Danish on January 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Newt heads, don’t think Newt ended this tonight. We are going to be hearing this for many months if he is the nominee. I would rather go with Mitt and not have to defend a serial adulterer and liar but that’s just me.

echosyst on January 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Buy Danish on January 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM

of course not, but that is not the point. i think a lot has changed in the past decade plus, and whereas before we basically assumed they were all having affairs but pretended otherwise, now we barely expect them to hide it. it is the quality of person that is drawn to politics in the first place, so it be what it be.

wait, huh?