Open thread: Thunderdome

posted at 7:35 pm on January 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

8 p.m. ET on CNN. The last remaining obstacle to Romney running the table is Gingrich’s last-minute surge in South Carolina, so yes, this is in fact the most important debate of the campaign. Now that Perry’s out, it’ll also be the debate with the fewest participants, which means extra time for answers and bloodsport. Three questions. One: Will Gingrich bring up Romney’s offshore investments? The Democrats are already prepping an attack about that, and you know how much Newt’s campaign enjoys borrowing Democratic talking points about Bain — whether they’re fair or not. Two: Who does Santorum attack? Newt is his big problem in consolidating the conservative vote, but unless Newt implodes over the next 36 hours (always possible but not probable), there’s no chance Santorum will vault into contention in SC. If he spends the debate tearing Gingrich down, all he’s really doing is helping to carry Romney over the finish line.

Three: How much time, if any, will be spent on Gingrich’s ex claiming he wanted an “open marriage”? And if it does come up, how aggressive will/can Newt be in pushing back against her? Via Matt Lewis, this tidbit from today’s New York Post is intriguing:

In 1995, when Vanity Fair magazine asked Marianne what would happen if Newt ran for president, she boasted she could derail the bid with a single TV interview.

“He can’t do it without me,” she said.

“I told him if I’m not in agreement, fine, it’s easy.

“I just go on the air the next day, and I undermine everything . . . I don’t want him to be president, and I don’t think he should be.”

Was she … joking? She said that to Vanity Fair three years before she found out about Newt’s affair, so it wasn’t an embittered reaction to his infidelity. Follow the link to Lewis’s post and see what his source has to say about it. Also, according to the AP, Newt wasn’t the only party to the marriage capable of making devastating announcements over the phone:

Documents related to the divorce filed Friday in Cobb County Superior Court include a separation agreement signed by the couple and notarized in December 1987. There is no indication it was ever filed.

Browning said Marianne Gingrich called her husband on his birthday in June 1987 to tell him she was leaving him. Gingrich, he said, came back to Georgia to find his home emptied out.

He’s not going to bring any of that up tonight, obviously. It’s too risky to attack the aggrieved spouse you cheated on, even if she started attacking first, so he’ll leave that to his campaign surrogates. Newt’s message will be (a) that he’s sought forgiveness from God and (b) you should, as always, be more angry at the media than at the Republican they’re reporting on. (For a response to that, watch Jenny Sanford’s appearance on “Hardball” today.) That’s good enough to get Blitzer to back off him, but what about Santorum and Romney?

Here’s the Hot Air/Townhall Twitter widget. If you missed it earlier, go read Bill Kristol’s tongue-in-cheek imagining of Mitch Daniels’s SOTU rebuttal next week. The dream of a late entrant to wake us from this Kafkaesque primary nightmare shall never die. Exit quotation for Daniels, Paul Ryan, Chris Christie, and Bobby Jindal: “Vada a bordo, cazzo.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 22

Hope Ron Paul has had his Geritol.

Norky on January 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

God of Thunder.

Electrongod on January 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Lets Rock this Mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on January 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM

May God bless Newt tonight, and give us multiple glamor shots of Callista in the audience.

GhoulAid on January 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM

AlexNBCNews tweeted:
=====================

Gingrich spox tells NBC News the South Carolina Speaker of the House, Bobby Harrell, will endorse Newt today

#decision2012Story metadata:
Submitted 4 hours ago from twitter.com/AlexNBCNews by editor

canopfor on January 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Anonymous killing government and entertainment websites as we speak.
Oh, another debate? Yawn.

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Turn that frown upside down. He will be high up in a Gingrich administration since he endorsed him.

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Run the table?

Can I play you sometime?

golfmann on January 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Prediction!,for Debate Win order!!
**********************************

1/ Newt

2/Santorum

3/Mittens

4/Ron Paul

canopfor on January 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

So I just wrote this in explanation of why I’m against our foreign policy of intervention. I hope this explains my viewpoints well. We all know tonight has the chance of getting deep into foreign policy. I hope Ron does a good job of defending non-intervention. I’ve been kind of disappointed in his defense of it to be honest.

Our current path of foreign intervention has (or risks) leading too:

#1. Massive debt and Dollar destruction. (Actual cost of Empire)
#2. The destruction of resources and lives. (The missiles, bombs, lives and resources which are “wasted” overseas make us poorer)
#3. The likelihood of more acts of terrorism against the united states. (The more we intervene, the more enemies we’ll create abroad)
#4. The loss of our Morality and Trust around the world by supporting preemptive wars of aggression. (Violation of the Non-Aggression Principle.)
#5. The general growth in the size and power of the Federal Government. (Dept of Homeland Security, Patriot Act and TSA..)
#6. The erosion of our civil liberties here at home. (TSA, Patriot Act, SOPA and NDAA Bill)
#7. Acts of home-grown terror will go up (In response to civil liberty violations) which will begin a new dangerous cycle.
#8. An increasingly poor government, no longer restricted by the Constitution, becomes tyrannical.
#9. As those in power fight for control over dwindling resources, violent uprisings and civil war become likely.
#10. A complete breakdown of the U.S. Dollar and Government finish us off.

fatlibertarianinokc on January 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Time for the beginning of the end.

KingGold on January 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM

It was an embittered reaction to her own bitterness

burrata on January 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM

do or die for everyone except Romney. He will clinch saturday or battle on. Everybody else could be a dead man walking.

hanzblinx on January 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM

10 min of snarky wisdon from the MahaRushie

burrata on January 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM

HELLO, SICKOS !!!!!

ExpressoBold on January 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Prediction!,for Debate Win order!!
**********************************

1/ Newt

2/Santorum

3/Mittens

Door slams! Ron Paul

canopfor on January 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

FIFY

Electrongod on January 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

This should be fun! I’m a Santorum guy, but I want Newt to win SC because it would stop Romney’s momentum in its tracks.

vegconservative on January 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Hope Ron Paul has had his Geritol.

Norky on January 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

You and me both.

JohnGalt23 on January 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

This should be fun.

cynccook on January 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Just looking forward to the obligatory moderator “smackdown” by Newt. Love him or hate him, that part’s always fun. A left knee to Wolf’s right nut would be preferable.

Tim Zank on January 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

If Romney stumbles tonight like he did last time, Gingrich will probably win SC. Which really wouldn’t be a bad thing. Continue vetting as long as possible.

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Thunderdome: 5 mens enters, 4 mens leave.

Norky on January 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

… or should that be sickoes. Lemme call that VP guy, Dan Quayle.

ExpressoBold on January 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

My Snickers bar is in the garbage, I couldn’t bring myself to eat it. : (

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

You gave me something I can hope for. Thank you. : )

herm2416 on January 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Hey, isn’t it a bit hypocritical for the MSM to point fingers at the serial adulterer, Newt, while while using their other hand on Billy Jeff?

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I hope they ask Ron Paul about Iran again. I never tire of it.

a capella on January 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

hanzblinx on January 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM

That is true. And if Gingrich makes it to FL, he better have some cash because it is an expensive state to compete in. And I doubt his one liners delivered in debates is going to matter to the demographic there.

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Drinking game:

Take a drink every time you hear “Cayman Islands, fidelity,” and each time Ron Paul gets booed.

predator on January 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Newt’s response to the endorsement has been nothing but humble and gracious.

I’m sure Perry would be on the short list for VP if he gets the nomination.

But today, tonight – yep I’m still sad.

However, I’m actually going to watch one of these things they call debates. I don’t have to worry about jinxing Perry anymore.

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Too nervous for this, lol, almost dont even want to watch this thing.

nswider on January 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Newt time is here…

Typhonian on January 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Thanks to Herman Cain’s endorsement of me today and due to the fact that I have no ex-wives or girlfriends, no ties to Bain or any other vulture capitalist firms, no money in the Cayman’s or any other islands, and I am an actual Reagan Republican, I can confidently predict that I will win SC.

Lily on January 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Yeah, Kristol copied all the stuff that C4P people were imagining for Palin if she gets in. He nicked all the “reluctant candidate” stuff from there. How obtuse must you be when among the base for only one other candidate and it’s not the 4 you mentioned? Nobody cares about Daniels or Christie except the GOP eggheads.

promachus on January 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Little known fact: Ron Paul wears Depends, during debates.

Norky on January 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM

fatlibertarianinokc on January 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

You are positively Freudian. NTTAWWT

ExpressoBold on January 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

More than a bit, and of course it is. Hypocrisy is their middle name.

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

But today, tonight – yep I’m still sad.

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I am sad as well. Perry just could not master debating (no pun intended). It is the sad state of our American Idol politics today.

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

and each time Ron Paul gets booed.

predator on January 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I am going to have to water down my drinks…
I want to see the end of this debate..

Electrongod on January 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I hope they ask Ron Paul about Iran again. I never tire of it.

a capella on January 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I like it when he talks all crazy about the border fence.

cynccook on January 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

on CNN

I think that channel is like in the low 200′s on directv… yawn….. probably gonna skip it and check in later for the highlights, gonna watch some hockey and drink beer.

maineconservative on January 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

My prediction, Newt implodes and peels off his face to reveal his true form…a Lizard.

DanStark on January 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I can’t wait to see Newt own this debate. I hope he gets the opportunity to take down the moderator for any dumb questions posed to him.

Decoski on January 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

More than a bit, and of course it is. Hypocrisy is their middle name.

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Yep, I honestly can not believe they keep a straight face. I hope most Americans are on to them. Then again, American Idol is on again.

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I think you have your existentialists confused.

Surely this primary was written by Samuel Beckett.

Waiting for God(ot)

JohnGalt23 on January 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

predator on January 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

If Newt mentions Mitt’s tax rate, two drinks. If you hear the words “open marriage,” three.

KingGold on January 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Has CNN filled up the venue with occupoopers so that there is lot of booing of Republicans ?

burrata on January 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

*********My debate Predictions********

best in debate – Newt
best showing in hair and jewelry – Callista
most bags under eyes that no makeup can cover up – Marianne

GhoulAid on January 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Too nervous for this, lol, almost dont even want to watch this thing.

nswider on January 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM

lol….hey, it plays out one of two ways…..Romney sews it up with a great performance or Gingrich lives past SC.

Then it starts all over in FL.

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Prediction: Newt is going to shed tears in the debate.

haner on January 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I believe Florida is a winner-take-all state and it had it’s delegate count halved by the RNC. Add that to the fact it’s expensive to be on TV there and it sounds like a very high risk move for Gingrich to mount a serious challenge there if he’s not within striking distance of Romney there. It might be the right move but it will be risky.

alchemist19 on January 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

will the party of dumb be able focus on the insanity of one man ruling against a pipeline?

Is this what our founders foresaw…one guy calling the shots for our Energy industry?

r keller on January 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

My Snickers bar is in the garbage, I couldn’t bring myself to eat it. : (

herm2416 on January 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Good for you. I didn’t eat my “replacement” either.

Bummer of a day that’s for sure.

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

AP speak with forked tongue. Romney LOST in Iowa. He won in a small state in which he owns a home by smear ads against the front runner. He has been running in New Hampshire since 2008. He is a loser.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on January 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I’m going to take a drink of Rye, every time Ron Paul says: How would you feel?

Norky on January 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I’m going to be late for this one…

… Go ahead and start the drinking game without me.

I’ll catch up…

Seven Percent Solution on January 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Who run GOP town?

Bishop on January 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

May the Lord Bless our Nation
and
May the best man win.

…………

We have a Nation at stake. Not just an election.

A time to choose: Socialism & Communism? or Freedom?

……………….

I know who I can rely on for Freedom.

Let the battle for America Begin, Anew.

Key West Reader on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Too nervous for this, lol, almost dont even want to watch this thing.

nswider on January 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Know how you feel. I, however, am liberated from the nerves – at least until the general.

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I hope the moderators put on their pull-ups, because Newt is make them lose their bowl control tonight if they go after him.

portlandon on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I’m just hoping Pawn Rall is hopped up on extra crazy juice tonight! Tell us about protecting our precious bodily fluids uncle Ron!!!

Snorkdoodle Whizbang on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Prediction: Newt is going to shed tears in the debate.

haner on January 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Prediction: Gingrich trips off the stage and accidentally has sex with a gal in the front row that doesn’t care that he is married.

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Kind of miss Zephania Woodall Huntsman. Nah, it passed.

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Not to mention ambidextrous…

ExpressoBold on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Guys/Gals,I’ve posted the CNN linky,4 times so far,
i dunno,WTF!!

canopfor on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Thats what I think too, hes so far ahead in money and not only that the absentee voting that has already happened will help Romney a great deal. Just want him to close this out in South Carolina. Was not happy with how Monday went, hoping his team has sharpened up his answers.

nswider on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Who run GOP town?

Bishop on January 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Not that pooswah at Didney Whirl in front of.. eh. You know the rest.

Key West Reader on January 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

While screaming “I’ve got a Chevrolet but all I wanted was a Yugo!”

alchemist19 on January 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Not to mention ambidextrous…

ExpressoBold on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Great point.

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

most bags under eyes that no makeup can cover up – Marianne

GhoulAid on January 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I noticed that in the interview clip I saw. The woman does tote some “baggage,” does she not?

She should get those things clipped and use ‘em for breast enhancements.

predator on January 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Actually I think he was getting better and better with every debate.

Problem is people had already made up their minds and weren’t going to change them no matter how qualified he was.

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Romney LOST in Iowa.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on January 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

To be truthful, the Iowa GOP pronounced it a tie because 8 precincts could not verify their totals.

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Kind of miss Zephania Woodall Huntsman. Nah, it passed.

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Huntsman? Is Brian Huntsman going to fire the starters pistol to get the festivities started?

ExpressoBold on January 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Prediction: Newt is going to shed tears in the debate.

haner on January 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Neh, she is not worth it. 15 years ago. Puleeze.

Key West Reader on January 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Lol, yeah Ive never been nervous until now after Monday. I just think the pile on is going to be crazy and Romney doesnt handle that the best sometimes, gets testy and stumbles a bit. But we will see, only four guys up there tonight, so that alone is going to make this more dramatic.

nswider on January 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

DHS, border first, done in one year, plus the man who leads it now, retired.

Schadenfreude on January 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

While screaming “I’ve got a Chevrolet but all I wanted was a Yugo!”

alchemist19 on January 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

lol!

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I’m actually looking forward to this one and I’m not sure why….

LukeinNE on January 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Is anyone reporting on how many times Marianne Gingrich left Newt? No, of course not, she is a woman. Should a man stick with a woman who leaves every month…every 3 months…every year, only to call back begging to get back together?

Marianne Gingrich belongs is a nut house…

Karmi on January 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Warning !
Pump the breaks . It’s gonna be a long night .

Lucano on January 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

While screaming “I’ve got a Chevrolet but all I wanted was a Yugo village bicycle!”

alchemist19 on January 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

FIFY

haner on January 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Actually I think he was getting better and better with every debate.

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Absolutely, I did not watch the last debate, but I thought he did very well in the three prior debates.

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Willard is a dirty campaigner…watch him drop the negative ads from now on. Newt will win the debate as usuall

liberal4life on January 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM

A left knee to Wolf’s right nut would be preferable.

Tim Zank on January 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Wolf has two left nuts. Use the right knee.

TheClearRiver on January 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I hope Newt crushes Romney, again.

I love watching newbie Mittbot’s heads exploding.

fogw on January 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

DHS, border first, done in one year, plus the man who leads it now, retired.

Schadenfreude on January 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Yep.

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Guys/Gals,I’ve posted the CNN linky,4 times so far,
i dunno,WTF!!

canopfor on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Electrongod on January 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Call me when it’s over. I’m debated out.

multiuseless on January 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

We want an effectual leader, who served under Reagan. Who has made mistakes… We welcome mistakes. We learn by our mistakes. America made its biggest mistake by electing B.h.O.

Let’s fix that.

Key West Reader on January 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

FIFY

haner on January 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I don’t think he trades down to the bicycle until he gets to the next debate in Vegas.

alchemist19 on January 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

“I Am Someone You Can Trust” – Rick Santorum at the Values Voter Rally in SC
**************

Uploaded by RickSantorum on Jan 19, 2012

Rick Santorum speaks in front of the Values Voter Bus as a campaign rally today in Charleston, South Carolina with Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council. The campaign also received the endorsement of Focus on the founder James Dobson.
=====================================================

canopfor on January 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Here we go with the gratuitous violence toward Newt! Why don’t you give it a rest for 10 minutes, MittWit?

ExpressoBold on January 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Seriously, this is like the 13th debate and Newt has done well in all 13. He is consistent and he is the only candidate left that would make Obamma sh@t his Batman panties.

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

What Im really curious about is how they format this debate. There was a story on drudge the other day that they wanted it to be “epic..and just let them go at it.” So I wonder if its just going to be one big free for all.

nswider on January 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

fogw on January 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

It’s very entertaining.

kingsjester on January 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Why did Willard Romney vote for Paul “Population Control” Tsongas?

Stayright on January 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Thus the timing of this ABC hit piece. They will show you whom they fear the most by what they air.

carbon_footprint on January 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Willard will try to pull all the stops but make no mistake newt is a master at this

liberal4life on January 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Enjoy the debate all – off to work some of my energy from today.

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Well,now I’m up to 6 attempts at the CNN Debate Linky….

WTH!