Breaking: CNN reports Perry to drop out today, will endorse Gingrich

posted at 9:27 am on January 19, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

CNN reports that Rick Perry will withdraw from the Republican presidential race today, based on information from two sources in the campaign.  No one who followed the polling can be surprised by this decision.  Perry has not come out of the mid-single digits in South Carolina for weeks, and his debate performance on Monday was good but no game changer.  The question for Perry was why he bothered to continue at all after his expensive poor showing in Iowa and his non-entity status in New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Politico reports that Perry will endorse Newt Gingrich for the nomination on his way out:

Rick Perry is expected to drop out later this morning at an 11 a.m. press conference and endorse Newt Gingrich, two sources confirmed to POLITICO.

Maggie Haberman and David Catanese call this “a huge boost” for Gingrich, but Perry was only polling 5-6% in South Carolina.  Jon Huntsman’s endorsement of Mitt Romney would have been equally “huge.”  However, it does hurt Rick Santorum, who had gotten the endorsement of the collected social conservatives last week from their meeting in Texas, and who could have used the boost.  It also may close the gap in South Carolina between Gingrich and Mitt Romney, since polling we’ll review later shows Gingrich closing the gap, and it will definitely put more pressure on Santorum to toss in the towel to back a single Romney alternative, which is ironic considering the news from Iowa this morning.

We’ll have more as this develops.

Update: ABC’s report on Perry, before this news broke, implies that his donor base had to tell him it was over:

With two days to go, Perry polls among South Carolina Republicans at about  6 percent — the same number of people who said they had no opinion about whom they’d choose. His campaign has been damaged by defections – notably  top donor  Barry Wynn, who left Perry for Mitt Romney – and an inability to gain ground with the public, despite spending millions of dollars.

Behind the scenes, many fundraisers and supporters who once waxed ecstatic over Perry as the GOP’s white knight when he entered the race  now say they’re deflated and upset that he didn’t appear ready for the task.

“It’s over. It’s long over. Sometimes things are finished before they’re over. It’s embarrassing to come out of the gate and get shot down, but it happens,” said a Perry fundraiser who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “You’d think a guy who had 11 years in office … that he’d prepare, he’d read the paper and get prepared.”

Perhaps this will be a lesson to future candidates that a parachute drop in the later period of the primary debating cycle is a bad idea.

Update II: The ending is as undisciplined as the campaign, it seems:

The discord in Perryworld was evident even as the candidate prepared to drop out.

Top officials in Texas said they were unaware of his intentions and as late as this morning said they genuinely didn’t know whether he was still running.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 7

if he wanted to run again would probably win re-election easily.

batterup on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Gee thanks, I didn’t need more bad news today.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Gingrich, REALLY??? Is Perry insane? I don’t understand.

sidemeat on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Libtard:

Before calling someone an idiot, learn the difference between its and it’s.

Mmmmkay?

angryed on January 19, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Thank you for your assistance, REAL American. It must have been the Gardasil! Hahaha!

KeninCT on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Good move Perry. If Team Romney is still trying to push Newt’s ex-wife in the headlines tomorrow, Perry and Palin should fly to SC and do a joint endorsement of Newt. Anyone who wants to see these primaries continue, and at least make Mitt Romney fight for the nomination so he knows that he can’t run roughshod over conservatives, should be pulling for Newt on Saturday.

Lawdawg86 on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM

canopfor on January 19, 2012 at 9:35 AM

wildcat72 on January 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

wildcat72:Thats what Breaking News is claiming!:)

canopfor on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I sure hope you are all happy, Perry haters.

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Only that your smug zealotry has fallen flat on its face.

MadisonConservative on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Guess we get him back in TX, unless Newt wants him as a running mate. Thank you for your service, Governor!

Sekhmet on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM

The Perry endorsement will be drowned out by the Marianne Gingrich coverage. I don’t imagine all the Perry people flocking to Newt.

bluegill on January 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM

You cheered for Rathergate, too, didn’t ya?

Kleenex?

kingsjester on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM

A very sad gophergirl :(

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I’m sad for you. :-(

I don’t have any Twix, but I’ll get my Milky Way out of the freezer.

Flora Duh on January 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I believe you are right Dr E @9:38

cmsinaz on January 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

The village of Texas is getting it’s idiot back.

KeninCT on January 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM

No, Ron Paul hasn’t made any such statement. And BTW, who is the idiot Perry or somebody who uses “it’s” incorrectly?

Happy Nomad on January 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Gingrich, REALLY??? Is Perry insane? I don’t understand.

sidemeat on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Well, who is he supposed to endorse?

Sekhmet on January 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Tuesday: “One of these conservatives is going to have to take one for the team.” – Sarah Palin.

Thursday: Breaking News Rick Perry drops out of GOP race.

She’s calling it right. I love that woman.

HerneTheHunter on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

That’s why I said in the other thread that he’s a patriot. Romney must be stopped.

flyfisher on January 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Thursday: Breaking News Rick Perry drops out of GOP race.

She’s calling it right. I love that woman.

HerneTheHunter on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

+1,000

idesign on January 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Oh well. Perry has four years to get himself together as a campaigner and will be in position to salvage what’s left of the country after Obama’s second term. (Because Obama is going to beat Romney like a rented mule. I don’t take any pleasure in saying that, but it’s true nevertheless.)

Laura Curtis on January 19, 2012 at 9:40 AM

They chose style over substance again.

People get the government they deserve, Thomas Jefferson.

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Sekhmet on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Hmmmm….Being the governor of Texas versus the vice presidency…no contest.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

That is what I want Obama 2012. Mitt Romney as the GOP nominee and loses, Obama re-elected. I kill two birds with one stone. Obama wins re-election paves the way for a real conservative uprising and Big government RINO destroyed.

HerneTheHunter on January 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Law: After 2010, I am not sure why you believe that ANY Republican will believe he cannot run roughshod over conservatives.

Scott H on January 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

flyfisher on January 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

kingsjester on January 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

The biggest favor he could do for the remaining candidates, and the nation, bigger than removing himself from the race, is to ride share home with Ron.

Speakup on January 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Mitt should think about dumping his tax returns now. There’s a lot of news sucking the oxygen out of the room this morning.

BuckeyeSam on January 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Happy Nomad on January 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

great minds think alike!

Laura in Maryland on January 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM

The village of Texas is getting it’s idiot back.

KeninCT on January 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM

No, Ron Paul hasn’t made any such statement.
Happy Nomad on January 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Thanks for clarifying. :)

balkanmom on January 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Right/ How has he managed to win all the campaigns he’s ran in before now Governor 3 times for example.

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Michelle Bachmann is well-liked in Minnesota. It doesn’t necessarily translate to a national campaign. America is not Texas…

Aw, with all the nice things you have said about Perry, you expected him to endorse Romney, right.
cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Duhr. Even if he does read Hot Gas, I don’t think Perry pays the slightest bit of attention to my comments. Anyhoo, other than agreeing with the 99% that he sucked in debates, cited Biblical passages as a ploy to get support, and attacked capitalism, I haven’t had much to say about Perry. I defended him on Gardisil, had nothing to say about the idiotic “N rock” non story, But hey, feel free to find stuff in the vault to support your assertions.

Buy Danish on January 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM

bluegill on January 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I think ol’Marianne just got upstaged.

katy the mean old lady on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I do believe we are all saddened by the good Governer’s leaving of the race. He was a good man, and ran a tight ship, and did his best to bring us to calmer seas. As for his endorsement…I would rather he endorse Newtonian Blackbeard, who is evil incarnate, but sails with his cannons pointed towards the enemy (most of the time), than endorse Mittens the Singing Cabin-boy, who has good intentions, but lacks the knowledge, and the intestinal fortitude to stand up to the atrocities of the Barbary Pirates now circling our waters.

BTW…MooCow spent some time in the Navy.

MooCowBang on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Don’t mind KeninCT, he obviously lives in Connecticut, of all the dreadful places on Earth. Go eat some more scrapple, Kenny, and look up the term Damned Yankee. Yep, that is your picture.

Sekhmet on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Gingrich will be the greatest president ever

gerrym51 on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Too bad guv.

You had experience and a far better track record than Obama EVER had. What you didn’t have was a pandering media to make every misstep you made look like something only a genius could have concocted.

And therein lies the perpetual problem. That and a gullible, and incredibly stupid electorate.

fogw on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Palin ends up in the White House after all.

faraway on January 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I wish.

tinkerthinker on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

HerneTheHunter on January 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I guess you are in the “we had to destroy the village in order to save it” camp.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Tea Party leaders in 25 states weigh in..

FireFly on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Probably, and that is why he would only agree to 2 debates. In response, Obama will flood the airwaves, internet, and the LSM with ads explaining Gingrich’s involvement with Freddie, his ouster as speaker by his own party, his ethics violations, and his call to take over the federal courts.

That will drive the indies away from Gingrich. This is why Gingrich has no chance to beat Obama. It is hugely ignorant to think Gingrich’s debating skills will carry him to a win.

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 9:40 AM

That would be fine, except this was already done to Gingrich, who has managed to recover through a mixture of good news and good debating. He is the first Not-Romney to experience a poll resurgence after getting hammered by both the MSM and the conservative media.

Now let’s see: the field is narrowed down to a big Govt. liberal RINO (Romney), a big Govt. social conservative (Santorum), a libertarian nutjob (Ron Paul), and the Don of Washington Insiders (Gingrich).

If Gingrich was that much of an insider, he would be the establishment favorite and not Mitt Romney. He’s been in DC for awhile, but he is not what you would call an insider anymore.

Now excuse me while I go order some “Hope and Change” paraphernalia. Maybe the ObamaMessiah will throw me some crumbs if I beg hard enough.

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Look, I can understand your frustration – no one advocated for Perry as enthusiastically you did – but it’s time to let go. Gingrich has an okay record, despite his personal problems, and may be able to get the job done too.

Doomberg on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Let’s nominate Newt. I am looking forward to all you ABRtards including Limbaugh and Palin getting the biggest ass whupping in history, because that’s exactly what Newt will get.

This party needs to be split in two.

haner on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Attention HA Users: The thunderclap you just heard the sphincters of Romney supporters slamming shut in unison.

kingsjester on January 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM

And the next thunder clap comes from the Romney haters.

This article first…..

And then this article…..

Among Tea Party supporters, Romney still leads with 29 percent support, but Gingrich is close behind with 28 percent. Santorum comes in third with 18 percent, followed by Paul at 12 percent.

So clearly, not all of Perry’s support goes to Gingrich.

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

flyfisher on January 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I don’t think Romney is going to be stopped.

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Sad it happend, but glad to see him do it now. Newt “the idea” is a very good candidate. I’ll just pray that Newt “the person” can live up to his ideals. I hope that this allows the ideological battle to continue to play out between the three wings of the Republican Party – “Moderate” (Romney) “Conservative” (Gingrich) “Libertarian” (Paul) This is a battle that is loooong overdue and the Primary is the place to fight it out.

Mustang65 on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Thank you Gov. Perry for giving it your best. This is a gain for Texas and a loss for our Country. You truly are the only true Conservative among them all. You had the best ideas and solutions for the problems this Country is having.

Your motive for getting into the race was for the Country, not for any glory for yourself and that is why I supported you.

God Bless you and your Family and Best Wishes for your continued success.

Yes, a sad bluefox here.

bluefox on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

faraway on January 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM

We can but dream. No?

HerneTheHunter on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

This is like a debate-night thread, comments arriving at a furious pace.

Oh yeah, Ron Paul is still crazy.

Bishop on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Herne: Conservatives, as witnessed on this very website, are far too internally fractured right now to have any sort of ‘uprising’. I do not want President Obama to win reelection, but I do believe it will happen.

Unlike you, however, I believe you will see another midterm revolt against him in 2014, and then the GOP will do nothing.

Conservatives need to stop relying on ANY federal solution to their problems… including the GOP.

Scott H on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Thursday: Breaking News Rick Perry drops out of GOP race.

She’s calling it right. I love that woman.

HerneTheHunter on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

+1,000

idesign on January 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Yeah. You can really tell who loves America. Paul will concede after Gingrich gets all of the needed electoral votes for the nomination. My prediction.

balkanmom on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I’m sad for you. :-(

I don’t have any Twix, but I’ll get my Milky Way out of the freezer.

Flora Duh on January 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Thanks. It’s a bummer that’s for sure.

Guess I’m a free agent now LOL! Or the dreaded undecided.

I was going to go for Mitt but now I think I’ll just go ABO and let the supporters with candidates left duke it out.

I’m tired.

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Perry was just a parrot for Gingrich anyway. Perry should run like heck back to Texas and try to regain his composure and reputation. I am a Mitt supporter, but it made me cringe to see Rick Perry out there every day making conservatives look bad through the lens of the media.

They ruined Mrs. Bachman with their shrill crazed portrayal. As soon as Santorum had a 2nd place (now a win) in Iowa they tried to turn him into a gay bashing, racist, emotional freak.

Where do I go to get my reputation back?

Step back folks, they are holding back on criticism of Gingrich to let it all loose in October…a tv station holding a bad interview with an ex wife…not now, because maybe he will win SC. Release it when the time is right.

Fleuries on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I hate he will endorse Newt. I know people think Newt will kill Obama in debates (which Obama has to agree to, and we know if he doesn’t the MSM will cover for him), but what about the baggage and the efforts against Republicans: right-wing social engineering, fanny-freddie money, attacking Mitt’s work with Bain? He will be such an easy mark for Obama, sorry I can’t ignore what he has said and done just because he could knock Obama out in a debate, there’s much more to an election.
Plus, with Obamacare, his Wall Street donations and cronyism, and now hiring a Bain employee, Obama has pretty much eliminated those battles against Mitt.
I really wanted Perry to do well, and I would love to see Santorum continue to improve because I think he is smarter and more able than anybody believes, but I’ll take Mitt over Newt anyday.

ajbell on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I doubt he will. Because it would be a waste of time. “Explain” ethics violations to the average iPhone-txting zero-attention-span voter?

On the other hand, something like “Romney is a rich Wall Street 1% dude who fired people” requires no explanation.

tkyang99 on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM

So you’d prefer Bill White or KBH? I know we all like to pick on our Governor but even Kinky had to admit & then strongly defend Perry. Could you imagine what a mess our State would be if we had Romney as Gov? Those nutballs in Austin would be running the whole state.

batterup on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Perry’s voters will flock to Santorum.

rubberneck on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I think ol’Marianne just got upstaged.

katy the mean old lady on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

LOL

idesign on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Buy Danish on January 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Tryin’ to cover your epic rear end from all of your Perry hatin’ attacks now huh, who’ed a thunk it? That’s alright, you and chupachudi will long be remembered for your ability to hate.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Rick Perry,set to endorse Newty!

canopfor on January 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM

It makes sense that an anti free market capitalist would endorse another.

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Put TheRightMan on suicide watch.

MadisonConservative on January 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Don’t worry, MC, I am not exiting this world anytime soon God willing.

I am staying right here although I am ordeing several sacks of popcorn. I am waiting to see the GOP nominate one of the remaining clowns and watch the nominee thrashed by Obama.

Buyers’ remorse will soon set in as the GOP electorate realize belatedly that records beat Obama, rhetoric doesn’t.

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Sadly, yes.

Laura Curtis on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

So clearly, not all of Perry’s support goes to Gingrich.

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Gingrich lost me when he bungled the messaging for the Bain Capital attack.

I am now officially a Gary Johnson supporter.

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

HerneTheHunter on January 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

But but but…if Obama wins, America is over. Done with. This brainless idiot is somehow genius enough to destroy the greatest country in the world that has survived 236 years of invasions, civil war, and threat of nuclear obliteration. ONLY ROMNEY CAN SAVE US!!!

MadisonConservative on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Thanks rick. may God bless Newt Gringrich. and Callista too!

GhoulAid on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I don’t think Romney is going to be stopped.

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

If we don’t stop him, Obama will.

flyfisher on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Sekhmet on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Well said, race fan. #3 4eva!

KeninCT on January 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Perry’s voters will flock to Santorum Newt.

rubberneck on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

fify

idesign on January 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Tea Party leaders in 25 states weigh in..

FireFly on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

What’s the Tea Party?

rubberneck on January 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Lord knows, CBS news polls are always unbiased./

kingsjester on January 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM

bluegill on January 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM

It’s the exact opposite. There has been a steady drumbeat of good news building for Newt. First his debate performance, then the Palin non-endorsement, articles like this: http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/18/tea-party-activists-coalescing-behind-newt-in-south-carolina/ and now the Perry dropout and endorsement. If there was some new explosive allegation in the interview, that might be enough to reverse the momentum, but as it currently stands it doesn’t seem like it’s going to stop Newt.

If Newt wins in SC, this race blows wide open again.

Doomberg on January 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Romneycare must be STOPPED!!!! I don’t care how it’s done, but that turd is dangerous. Having a sociolist under the republican banner will destroy this country almost as much as Obamasatan!

Danielvito on January 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

ENDORSE NEWT?……..EGADS!!!!

This probably kills off Santorum. Bummer.

PappyD61 on January 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

The anti-capitalist who as gov of MA:
– nationalized health care
angryed on January 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM

He didn’t “nationalize” healthcare! Allow me to repeat a comment I made yesterday. For someone who obsesses over the difference between “it’s” and “its” you lack an elementary understanding of the meaning of words.

Buy Danish on January 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

It should have been Newt who dropped out. Rick Perry is a much better man than Gingrich. No self-respecting Rick Perry supporter could ever vote for Newt Gingrich.

bluegill on January 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

And so it came to be that Jon Huntsman ends the 2012 GOP Presidential race with more pledged delegates than “true conservative” hero Rick Perry.

So that’s good news, right? Right?

Abby Adams on January 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Sounds like he and Newt have a lot in common, mainly that their campaigns are disorganized. I doubt all of his supporters will vote for Newt. Some will go for Santorum. It’s unfortunate Perry chose to jump in the mud with Newt over Bain.

Philly on January 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Makes sense. Both Perry and Gingrich have that crony capitalist thing going.

Oddly, this endorsement might deliver slightly outsized results. Not that Perry can personally deliver more than about 10 voters in South Carolina, but it’s one more day of Newtmemntum-building, and keeps Romney slightly on the defensive.

urban elitist on January 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

MadisonConservative on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM

smug zealotry huh?? you might wanna check out the posts you putting up back when cain was still running. and how’s his politico lawsuit coming along?? your as big a fraud as cain was.

chasdal on January 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I don’t think Romney is going to be stopped.

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

If we don’t stop him, Obama will.

flyfisher on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Yep that’s how it’s shaping up.

The republicans will try to shine Romney up with an attractive conservative VP, like they did for John McCain, when he tapped Governor Sarah Palin. It’s an old busted move the republican party think voters are stupid. I’ve seen that movie too, and I know how it ends.

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

batterup on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

No, Texas righty’s have a deep bench. Perry as governor for life, holds them back.

Time for fresh meat.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

The Mittbot Meltdown is in progress. Pass the popcorn.

kingsjester on January 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Perry’s voters will flock to Santorum.

rubberneck on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Not this one.

gophergirl on January 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Thursday: Breaking News Rick Perry drops out of GOP race.

She’s calling it right. I love that woman.

HerneTheHunter on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

+1,000

idesign on January 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Except she made a mistake in choosing Gingrich over Santorum. Santorum would be my choice, if for no other reason than he didn’t sully himself joining Newt/Perry’s marxist “Bain Capital” argument.

Her endorsement of Santorum followed by him being declared the Iowa winner would have surged him to victory in South Carolina, making “Not Romney” the winner of 2 of 3 and CRUSHING Romney’s momentum..

Newt is a great debater. As I’ve said, EVERY REPUBLICAN needs to emulate his debating style, we’ll win more elections and neuter the biased media’s dirty tricks that way. But everything else about Newt I basically don’t like.

wildcat72 on January 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

They chose style over substance again.

People get the government they deserve, Thomas Jefferson.

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Not necessarily. As angry as I was at Perry for his “heartless” remark, he may have been the lesser of the evils left in the race.

Each candidate has done harm to themselves and the party with stupid remarks, policies, and actions. Given the bunch of turdlets in the race, I have a hard time making fun of other commenters’ choices of candidate (‘cept Paul). I do have a hard time swallowing the holier than thou attitudes of some of the candidates’ cheerleaders.

Defeat Obama 2012!

Laura in Maryland on January 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

So sad. Obama will win re-election. Gingrich is not electable nor is Romney. Obama’s war chest will destroy both, bringing up their baggage/histories over & over again. Obama will run as a family man candidate for the “little guy” against probably the rich, out-of-touch, flip-flopping Romney (less likely against Newt, whose history is even more target rich).

pacificisland on January 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Perry’s voters will flock to Santorum.

rubberneck on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

You think so? Because this Perry supporter here is flocking nowhere. Maybe to Texas.

But most, I guarantee you, will drop their registration with the GOP to become independents.

There is no sense in remaining with a stupid party, is there?

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Thursday: Breaking News Rick Perry drops out of GOP race.

She’s calling it right. I love that woman.

HerneTheHunter on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Too bad it wasn’t Santorum as well. I really don’t see him
going anywhere in this campaign.

I agree with you about “loving that woman”. Without her input
I would be depressed listening to the rino pundits shill for
Romney.

Amjean on January 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Find the “Perry hatin’ attack” or STFU. If that sounds “hateful” so be it. I have no patience for clowns like you.

Buy Danish on January 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM

It makes sense that an anti free market capitalist would endorse another.

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Your Romney fluffin’ cohort tried that already.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM

What’s the Tea Party?

rubberneck on January 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM

You’re about to find out…:)

idesign on January 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM

This party needs to be split in two.

haner on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

If Romney blows it, you have to vote for Gingrich. No staying home, and no writing in nonsense.

By the time this is over, independents will see Romney as a fumbling, entitled POS administrator. And, when they stop to listen to Newt, they’ll realize that he makes infinitely more sense than Obama. It’ll be like headquarters sending in a new guy to get rid of the clueless AA hire.

BuckeyeSam on January 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Romney is a Rino who still needs to be kicked out of the republican party

liberal4life on January 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

One loser endorsing another.

unclesmrgol on January 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Rick Perry is doing the right thing for the good of conservatives here. My preferences for months have been Gingrich and Santorum. If Santorum does not have a great debate tonight, then he ought to think about getting behind Gingrich too–provided of course this information on Gingrich’s past marriage isn’t too damning.

The Romney folks posting insults about Perry on this thread are completely classless. People who like to kick other people when their down deserve no respect.

KickandSwimMom on January 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Gingrich/Perry 2012?

cmsinaz on January 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

mitt Romney is totally unelectable. axleturd will drink his kolob milkshake for breakfast lunch and dinner.

tom daschle concerned on January 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

MadCon: Do you think that the people who argue we need to NOMINATE [INSERT CANDIDATE] NOW realize that they are using the exact same ‘emergency gotta do something now’ argument that was used with TARP, the ‘stimulus package’, raising the debt ceiling, and more or less Obama’s method for getting anything done?

(I am not saying that Obama was responsible for TARP.)

Scott H on January 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Sekhmet on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Is CT still a U.S. state, I thought they seceded to become an independent commune.

Bishop on January 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

The village of Texas is getting it’s idiot back.

KeninCT on January 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I pity the poor fools who’ll never live in such a magnificent “village”!

Recall that when the first rumblings that Perry might get in, his poll numbers started climbing and when he pulled the trigger, he was the “front runner”. Thus, expectations were far greater than he was prepared to live up to. Mittens was the only candidate to enter with expectations even close to that. Maybe Gov. Perry will be able to meet expectations in 2016.

Come on home, Gov, nominations aren’t won on actions, they’re won on bullsh!##ing on stage.

cartooner on January 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM

KeninCT on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM

At the risk of feeding you too much, Mr. Troll, do you bring your “REAL American” comment from DKos or the DUnderground?

VibrioCocci on January 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I was a Perry fan when he jumped in, defended him from Bachmann’s ridiculous “Tard”isal attacks, but he clearly wasn’t up for this. And obviously his judgment is lacking, if he’s endorsing Gingrich.

Still, I don’t see why you wouldn’t push through till Saturday. What’s a couple more days?

changer1701 on January 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Go Newt go!

{I still love you Perry!}

Rise Tea Party Rise!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sleeping Tea Party giant is rising up to run Mitt ‘Milquetoast’ Romney out of town! Tonight, Newt will eat Romney alive in the debate!

Pragmatic on January 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Well darn, the hatin’ nutballs were all set for your head to explode. Yet, you keep up the good fight and continue with the team.

Good for you.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM

What happened to the swagger? Where did the other Rick Perry go? You know, the “This ain’t a day for quittin’” Rick Perry. Where’s that guy? This seems a little WWII French-like to me. Kind of a c’est la vie type attitude.

Adieu, Rick Perrier.

rogaineguy on January 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Sekhmet on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Don’t be knocking scrapple.

katy the mean old lady on January 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM

MadisonConservative on January 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

You too huh! I thought I was the only one who found that sentiment rather ridiculous and funny in equal measure. This the greatest country on earth and some joker from Chicago is going to destroy it? All he would do is help reawaken, revive, renew and restore the conservative movement and I look forward to that wholeheartedly.

HerneTheHunter on January 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM