Breaking: CNN reports Perry to drop out today, will endorse Gingrich

posted at 9:27 am on January 19, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

CNN reports that Rick Perry will withdraw from the Republican presidential race today, based on information from two sources in the campaign.  No one who followed the polling can be surprised by this decision.  Perry has not come out of the mid-single digits in South Carolina for weeks, and his debate performance on Monday was good but no game changer.  The question for Perry was why he bothered to continue at all after his expensive poor showing in Iowa and his non-entity status in New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Politico reports that Perry will endorse Newt Gingrich for the nomination on his way out:

Rick Perry is expected to drop out later this morning at an 11 a.m. press conference and endorse Newt Gingrich, two sources confirmed to POLITICO.

Maggie Haberman and David Catanese call this “a huge boost” for Gingrich, but Perry was only polling 5-6% in South Carolina.  Jon Huntsman’s endorsement of Mitt Romney would have been equally “huge.”  However, it does hurt Rick Santorum, who had gotten the endorsement of the collected social conservatives last week from their meeting in Texas, and who could have used the boost.  It also may close the gap in South Carolina between Gingrich and Mitt Romney, since polling we’ll review later shows Gingrich closing the gap, and it will definitely put more pressure on Santorum to toss in the towel to back a single Romney alternative, which is ironic considering the news from Iowa this morning.

We’ll have more as this develops.

Update: ABC’s report on Perry, before this news broke, implies that his donor base had to tell him it was over:

With two days to go, Perry polls among South Carolina Republicans at about  6 percent — the same number of people who said they had no opinion about whom they’d choose. His campaign has been damaged by defections – notably  top donor  Barry Wynn, who left Perry for Mitt Romney – and an inability to gain ground with the public, despite spending millions of dollars.

Behind the scenes, many fundraisers and supporters who once waxed ecstatic over Perry as the GOP’s white knight when he entered the race  now say they’re deflated and upset that he didn’t appear ready for the task.

“It’s over. It’s long over. Sometimes things are finished before they’re over. It’s embarrassing to come out of the gate and get shot down, but it happens,” said a Perry fundraiser who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “You’d think a guy who had 11 years in office … that he’d prepare, he’d read the paper and get prepared.”

Perhaps this will be a lesson to future candidates that a parachute drop in the later period of the primary debating cycle is a bad idea.

Update II: The ending is as undisciplined as the campaign, it seems:

The discord in Perryworld was evident even as the candidate prepared to drop out.

Top officials in Texas said they were unaware of his intentions and as late as this morning said they genuinely didn’t know whether he was still running.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

In this case he was merely pointing out that the people who call Mitt Romney a liar, and yet give Gingrich a pass, are practicing a rather blatant form of hypocrisy that doesn’t even take pealing one layer off the onion to show it.

WealthofNations on January 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I see Mitt and Newt as different sides of the same coin, heads they win, tails we lose. However, IF I don’t protest vote, I’d vote Newt, not Mitt.

cartooner on January 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM

astonerii

Bull.

Palin, Cain and Bachmann were all thoroughly kicked when they were down.

Only counts when it is Perry, huh? “Oh, po’ Rick, such a fine man, too.”

Pull your skirt down – your hypocrisy is showing.

Horace on January 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM

But, at least that coyote problem in Texas is gonna be solved now that Ol’ Rick is back in town.

Horace on January 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Thank Goodness, you have no idea what our coyote problem is like down here.

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Perry dropping out is a great disappointment. But I suppose his campaign not taking off is the real shame. Perry did operate with class and humor and his exit was patriotic and good for the party too. I sure wish him the best of luck.

Now he has endorsed Newt. And while its true Newt has his flaws I think they are less substantial than Romney’s flaws. Americans like stories of redemption too, and they typically are against those who do their complaining 20 years after the fact…especially when a media outlet uses a “drip” strategy to dry to bleed a candidate with a thousand cuts.

So I’m going to support Newt now. I’ll send him money and I’ll get out and work the precincts. He is inspirational, does have solid Conservative accomplishments in his record and and he may just be the man for the hour.

Plus, I just can’t wrap my brain around Romney as the Republican standard bearer, even if the intelligentsia want me to. Perhaps especially because they want me to.

JonPrichard on January 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Reading through the comments is very interesting in what makes people tick.

Cindy Munford on January 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM

That is why I asked the question. I would like to know why he has his particular predisposition.

Gunlock Bill on January 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Thank you, Asteronii for your decent comment.

dingding on January 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM

WealthofNations on January 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Ding ding ding ding!

We have a winner!

Gunlock Bill on January 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM

…Rick to endorse a serial adulterer and liar who supported and lobbied for the individual mandate until 2010?

Ok. Don’t expect me to make much of it though.

Ruiner on January 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM

You are dishonest.

Horace on January 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Nope, just like the other hatin’ nutballs you move the goal post.

You can deny you are hater all you want, you can demand proof, you can claim that since you didn’t write the word “hate” you are not.

That is the defense y’all haters use. I saw it against Palin, Bachman, Perry and Cain. Its y’all haters that are helping to remove candidates until we are left with the one that is the most vanilla.

Be happy and embrace your hatin’ ways.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Then again I guess it makes sense, since they both love attacking the free market.

Ruiner on January 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Dr Evil

We have a mess of coyotes here in Nebraska, but not nearly the problem you have in Texas. Also, I understand your wild pigs problem is growing. Nothing like that here.

Our main concern is the deer population. All over the place.

Horace on January 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

They don’t get Perry’s campaign at all, we all were supporting the candidate who was for something. I didn’t chose Perry because he wasn’t Mitt, Newt or Santorum. For awhile I had hopes for Jon Huntsman, he didn’t have a bad message, Country First, and he did have a conservative record…so there was something I could support. I have empathy for conservative republican voters, your party is skrewing you over.

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM

It’s been floated that Newt will have a 10th Amendment project to rally governors and legislators to push that to the platform & that Perry will head it…we’ll see.

Perry did this now to save Newt’s ass before Wife #2 goes on TV…You could see that in his speech.

workingclass artist on January 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

cozmo

Can’t provide a link, can ya?

“Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” – Shakespeare

(To save you the hassle of Googling, he was an English writer of some note)

Horace on January 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Everyone knows I did not support Perry. It was not that he was not conservative enough, but that on those rare occasions he went off the ranch no amount of conservative backlash would ever bring him back onto the ranch.

astonerii on January 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Okay, astonerii, this part of your comment made me LOL…

You are now admitting that Perry was/is a conservative?

What changed?

I sure hope you and other “true conservatives” are happy that your rejection of Perry for ‘Gardasil’ and the ‘Texas Dream Act’ has driven him out of the race.

Have fun making your pick between the Big Govt. types left in the race…

Oh… what am I talking about?

One issue social conservatives like yourself don’t really care about the ever-growing size of Govt., you just want Big Govt. to be used to accomplish your priorities.

Well, good luck in trying to defeat Obama witht the bunch of clowns left in the field.

You will need it.

Myself? I have started purchasing “Hope and Change” paraphernalia. Maybe the ObamaMessiah will spare me his wrath.

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Bullhead on January 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I still couldn’t believe the mountains people here made of anthills about Perry’s record or the outright lies about it. He was virtually a dictator who, by the way, had no REAL power over anything good that may have happened. He was an open borders advocate and “Hispanderer”because Texas charges in state tuition to children of illegals–nevermind it was an ECONOMICAL reason for doing so! Granted there are trolls in here, but many doing the trashing claim to be conservatives.

cartooner on January 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

We just lost the only candidate who actually believes in service before self. Weeping for my country . . .

pacificisland on January 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Yeah…maybe move down here to Texas. We have someone to fight for us…there’s that.

workingclass artist on January 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

JonPrichard on January 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Better get used to it.

Romney will be the GOP nominee and he will go on to lose to Obama in November 2012.

That is the ‘inevitable’ truth.

If you think the previous attacks against Gingrich was bad, just wait for Onslaught No. 2 as the GOP Establishment goes all out to bury him so Romney can get the nomination.

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum, I smell liberals LOL!

This is what happens when Ed & Allah opens registration.

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 10:58 AM

For some of them, maybe.

For others, I suspect sock puppets. Notice how they cover for each other.

Hey! Wait a minute, are you my sock puppet?

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Do you really need one GRIN

I don’t have a dog in this hunt any longer.

I’m disappointed Perry dropped out. I wish he had played the odds and waited till after the South Carolina primary vote, but I am also pragmatic.

Sometimes when you win, you really lose. And sometimes when you lose, you really win. And sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic globule, from which one extracts what one needs.” Gloria Clemente, “White Men Can’t Jump”

What has Mitt Romney really won? The opportunity to be turned into Obama’s political get reelected pinata.

I can live with this outcome, because after all, I am evil ;)

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Horace on January 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I don’t care to, you aren’t that important. And won’t be until you do something like the other former haters have done.

Notice a former top shelf hatin’ nutball (there are actually two currently posting in this thread) who has changed his hatin’ ways.

They are now worth something. Current haters are fun for their entertainment value though.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

astonerii on January 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Thanks astonerii. There is no excuse for this ugly behavior. These are not Conservatives in my opinion. There is a difference and the comments show that.

bluefox on January 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM

astonerii on January 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Hey…You saved America from Gardisil and that’s what matters!

Obama will likely get 4 more years but so what?

As a native Texan…we’ll be alright down here unless Obama shuts down our grid… Not that he hasn’t tried.

workingclass artist on January 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

It is settled.

You are definitely my twin – the evil twin :)

We think alike.

Bwa ha ha ha…

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Dang, I thought that would get more of a rise out of you.

No I don’t need any sock puppets. I have a hard enough time just keeping up with me. Minions, on the other hand…

Oh, and concubines. If Newt can get away with it. Hold the phone, he didn’t get away with it. Never mind.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Yep!

And Romney will lose to Obama…and likely the GOP will lose seats.

workingclass artist on January 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

astonerii

Bull.

Palin, Cain and Bachmann were all thoroughly kicked when they were down.

Only counts when it is Perry, huh? “Oh, po’ Rick, such a fine man, too.”

Pull your skirt down – your hypocrisy is showing.

Horace on January 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I defended Palin at the time. I would vote for Palin well ahead of any other person that I currently know of. She was my first choice for 2012, but I did not push for her to join, I stated that if she did join I would support her.
Bachmann was my second choice, and became first choice after Palin chose not to enter the race. I still am amazed how the very small gaffes she made made her unelectable. When people bring up tardasil, I still defend her.
As for Cain, if he would have made a graceful exit at the time, I would have defended him, even though he was actually someone I was ready to protest vote against. I did not defend him because I felt inside that he had been doing inappropriate things with women in the past that he continued to deny. I did not feel he bowed out gracefully but bitterly. I may be wrong and he really did have a 13 to 15 year long appropriate relationship with that last woman to speak. I just do not feel that is the case in my gut. So, you are right, I was a jerk to Cain as he exited, but I did not kick him as he left, if someone remembers better than I do, I am willing to take the flack if you want to remind me and others if I kicked him as he left.
All of our candidates are generally likable people, but that is not what I am looking for in a candidate. What I want from my representative in the office of the United States of America is someone who understands the constitution and how it was applied from birth to current status of the United States of America and is able to remind Americans of what we have lost as a nation over the last 50 to 100 years. Santorum can do that, but is not the single best person in my view, Newt is the one that has a conservative federal record of pulling the nation to the right, even against the wishes of his own party members. They were able to oust him from the Speakership, they will have no such power with him as President.

astonerii on January 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Um no, she’s cuter. And didn’t even approach the edge.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Horace on January 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I didn’t know how bad the wild pig problem was until A&E started running the show American Hoggers.

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM

astonerii on January 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

With Newt being so embarrassingly unelectable, you are correct – they won’t even get that chance.

whatcat on January 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Only counts when it is Perry, huh? “Oh, po’ Rick, such a fine man, too.”

Pull your skirt down – your hypocrisy is showing.

Horace on January 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM

You really don’t pay attention, do you.

astinerii…did you ever think you would be accused of being a Perry shill?

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

This is bad news for all of us. The fact that he came in early, was sky high for a bit, then plummeted is proof that we are now stuck with a 2 year presidential campaign every 2 years, which is just stupid and means next to nothing will ever get done well in the process.

It also means that the GOP has all but completely abandoned its ideology of conservatism. Mitt Romney is simply not a conservative on most matters. He changes with the political winds, and it makes him look as if he has no true convictions.

It also means that we’re now living in a country that is obsessed with image. Style over substance. You aren’t the greatest debater, well by heaven, you must be an idiot then who could never be a great president…except we know Perry was a great governor who had a lot of success. Nevermind that substance, we’re more obsessed with who speaks the best and has the best comebacks at these so-called “debates.”

This election and last are a turning point for the GOP. I doubt actually Romney can win. No one likes him. Mainly because there’s nothing to like. He’s Al Gore in mormon drab. He’s boring, he’s stiff, he’s robotic, he has no chemistry and no personality. I’m at a loss as to how on earth so many people are backing the guy, because what on earth is there to be passionate about with him?

He’s facing a “historic” president like none other we have ever seen (at least his die hard supporters think so.) A president of immense and powerful “change.” In 2008, if you listened to his supporters and the mainstream media- Obama was a man who is not only a mini-god, but also very much like the real God Himself. How do you fight that with Robot Romney who can’t seem to find any true convictions?

The people have spoken about who they want as leaders, and what sort of country in which they want to live- we’ve officially become the American Idol nation. Records no longer matter. Actions no longer matter. All that matters is who can sing the prettiest song for a willfully ignorant electorate. And that’s bad news not just for conservatives but for all Americans.

TheBlueSite on January 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Many here think I supported and was just bound to Perry as a personality.

No siree.

I support the IDEOLOGY Perry stood for as a candidate.

The problem America is facing as a country stems from those that worship at the altar of Big Govt. They increase the scope and size of Govt. at the expense of everthing else.

A candidate that recognizes Govt. and its encroachment on the freedom of its people as the problem gets it! That candidate was Rick Perry.

I was willing to forgive any gaffe of his because I knew he would do that which was necessary if elected. And so I could fight for him.

The rest – Romney, Santorum, Gingrich – do not get it. One – Paul – does but is a certified ‘foreign policy’ nutjob.

So as they say, with Perry’s exit from the race, I cease to care who the ‘American Idol’ GOP electorate choose as their nominee.

Whoever they choose will get hammered by Obama because of dissatisfied conservatives like myself. And we can only hope that four more years of pain will enable them to begin to realize that debating skills, ‘heartless’, ‘Gardasil’, and the ‘Texas Dream Act’ are not the problems.

Big Govt. is the problem.

Gov. Perry, thank you very much for your service. You did your best.

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Remember what they said about Cain when he was ahead in the polls and leading. He was chasing the car and didn’t know what to do when he caught it….I think Romney’s caught the car, and it’s going to back up over him LOL!

Dr Evil on January 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM

The who, what, where and when.

Perry’s worst brain fart.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM

astonerii on January 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I hear ya but as I have said, the only way Newt can beat Romney is if Santorum or Paul withdraws from the race and Paul won’t drop out, he never does.

Dollayo on January 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM

astonerii on January 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Okay, astonerii, this part of your comment made me LOL…

You are now admitting that Perry was/is a conservative?

What changed?

Have fun making your pick between the Big Govt. types left in the race…

Oh… what am I talking about?

You will need it.

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Part of representing the people is actually representing the people. Santorum said it best when he defended his right to work vote. He was a representative of his state, and his supporters in that state demanded that he vote a certain way. If Perry had used that argument, rather than going down in flames on gardasil against his own people’s wishes, I would have given him the benefit of the doubt. Instead he used the arguments of the left to try and cow them into shutting up. “You are putting politics above the lives of our young women.” Paraphrased as I am not going to look up exact quotes today. If he would not have resorted to the same thing with the Dream act “you have no heart”. I would have given him the benefit of the doubt. But these issues really are left/right issues, and he became intransigent on them, much as Romney is intransigent with his Romneycare. It makes it impossible for either to be representative of the party they are asking to vote them into power and why I am against both. Perry, I was borderline forgiving and voting if he did come out. Romney I never will.

Perry has increased his points with me with his elegant departure, and I have never said he does not make a good governor in Texas. As others have said, if he wants federal recognition, he might make a great energy secretary or what ever the role is called.

As for my issue, social conservative, I am a full spectrum conservative. Social conservatism is the bedrock of all conservatism. Without it, you do not have the love of country required to put your life on the line in the military. Without it, you do not have the discipline to remain fiscally conservative. Social conservatism can survive under occupation, and can survive in depression. The other two aspects cannot survive without the social mores and virtues instilled from the social conservatism.

astonerii on January 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I believe that Newt has always faithfully embraced “Sacred Honor” for his country. The huge investment of his time and passion in the study of the details of our Country’s history proves his loyalty to it. He has never “divorced” the real love of his life..our Great Nation. A true and loving friend is always interested in what the other partner thinks and cares how the other one feels. Newt is and always will be a loyal and unwavering friend of our Constitution. Women pose a different problem for him. It should not be that way and he has confessed this weakness.. His struggles with that area of his life is harder for me to analyze. I except his confession and forgive him of his not so constant marital past. Only God is Faithful. People, all of us, not so much.

Landon Thompson on January 19, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Perry’s worst brain fart.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM

That’s his worst?

You really are out of touch.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Well, I am done in this thread, attack me all you want.

Perry ran an honorable campaign, and while I did not support him, I think very highly of him in the general sense. I think that over the next two years as governor he has room to grow and maybe reflect on this race. He is not that old that 2020 is out of the question for him to run again if we get a Newt Presidency, or 2016 if we get Romney or Obama. He was my third choice coming out. I am glad that he stayed in as long as he wanted to, and I hope none of his supporters feel as though he/they were robbed of his opportunity. All the way up to the Iowa election I had felt that he had the opportunity to rebound, and I truly do not see why it did not happen.

Happy hunting down there in Texas Rick, and I only ask that you contemplate my two issues with you. Learn to be more easily persuaded by the conservatives of the whole country when you run again. Show me that my voice will matter while you are president, and you will be my first or second choice next time through. You have 4 years at least to get there.

astonerii on January 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I’m baaaaack. What a surprise! Cozmo the clown has yet to provide a single example of me being a Perry “hater”.

Buy Danish on January 19, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Politics and personal scandals aside, Newt Gingrich definitely creates excitement and energy. Saying Romney can beat Obama doesn’t make it true, it has to be based on something. It certainly is not based on a winning record or his four years as a moderate Governor of Massachusetts. Money just isn’t a good enough reason for beating Obama, in fact, due to the class warfare scenario the Dems have set up in anticipation of Romney being the nominee, it probably hinders him.

lea on January 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Excellent comment. There’s a two step process in becoming president. First, you have to be a credible presidential candidate from either the Republican or Democratic party. Then you have to be trusted over the other guy.

Even if Romney gets the Republican party nomination, I don’t believe he’ll be credible to the public since his record completely contradicts what he says now. When the media and Obama force the public to focus on Romney’s record, I don’t see how Romney gets past step 1. In case you’ve never seen Romney’s collection of contradictions and flip-flops, click Mitt Romney – Serial Flip Flopper! I know that similar stuff has been posted here before (even by me), but it needs to be posted again and again. Romney isn’t credible, Newt might be.

Gladtobehere on January 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Perry, he let his ego and what dumb people told him pull him into a race he was in no way ready for.

Nice job bloggers. Let’s see some more of your big ideas.

Moesart on January 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Buy Danish on January 19, 2012 at 12:46 PM

You greatly overestimate your value as anything more than a Romney fluffing play toy.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I support the IDEOLOGY Perry stood for as a candidate.
TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Yes – so naturally, you’ve constantly vowed your support for Obama.

whatcat on January 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Yes – so naturally, you’ve constantly vowed your support for Obama.

whatcat on January 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Do tell.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Bmore on January 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Thank you. That was very sweet, and actually made me feel better. :)

kg598301 on January 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Oh my: Perry up 11 points over Romney in new Rasmussen poll

LOL

Yeah, bye bye Mitt. Nice call, geniuses.

Moesart on January 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Romney isn’t credible, Newt might be.

Gladtobehere on January 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM

So far polls don’t show this to be true. Romney polls better then Newt against Obama in every poll I’ve seen. I hate to say this and I wish it wasn’t true but I can’t deny it. I’m not a big Romney fan at all. I want someone more conservative than Romney and I will not vote for Romney in the primary but I have to admit that it sure looks like he is going to win this thing.

Dollayo on January 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM

“Perry Endorses Gingrich”
OK Santorum and moRon Paul – it’s your turn to do the right thing and GET OUT NOW to save us from romney(care) and more OBOZO !!!!
…and where’s Herman Cain’s endorsement ????

TeaPartyNation on January 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I think Perry was the best candidate out there, but I support his decision. Conservatives should not nominate the guy who was/is to the left of Obama on the mandate. Newt’s got my support.

El_Terrible on January 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Well, media a$$hats, I hope you are satisfied that a good decent man dropped out of the race today.

The networks and cable outlets can now be giddy that Romney wins the nomination and they can start doing Mormon documentaries until Novemeber.

Rubio 2016

poljunkie51 on January 19, 2012 at 1:17 PM

TeaPartyNation on January 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Ron Paul isn’t going to leave the race and Santorum has won more states than Gingrich.

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Clown – Why do you insist on drawing attention to the fact you are an epic failure who can’t FIND ONE THING to back up your allegation that I’m a Perry “hater”?

Buy Danish on January 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM

disappointing but inevitable. he was the best of what was left. unfortunately, thats not saying much.

Coolidge_Conservative on January 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM

astonerii on January 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

astonerii, You’ve explained your positions quite well without the nasty comments that are part of HA. That is commendable in my opinion. Everyone should have the opportunity to express who they support without the personal attacks that have become the norm here on HA and that is too bad.

Persuasion is much better than hateful comments without any basis of facts. As long as posters do that they receive the respect they deserve.

I supported Gov. Perry after Sarah Palin decided not to enter the race. I know he made a couple of mistakes in how he handled a couple of the “issues” in Texas. However, the debates were such that he didn’t have opportunity(time)to explain & apologized thereafter. I overlooked those 2 issues believing his motives were good, but mishandled.

We’ll move on with the understanding that we have to play the hand we are dealt and vote according to our beliefs and opinions. After all, isn’t that what a Primary is for? :-)

bluefox on January 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Yes – so naturally, you’ve constantly vowed your support for Obama.
whatcat on January 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Do tell.
cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Just follow back thread where TRM waxes gleeful about breaking out his Obama paraphernalia. Usually cries and then proclaims his support for Obama at least once per each thread when there’s been bad news about Perry. You could set your clock by it.

whatcat on January 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Buy Danish on January 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Aw, kissie kissie, you are becoming my favorite nutball.

whatcat on January 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I saw that, and unlike other hatin’ nutballs, his sarcasm was detectable.

Do you really think TRM is gonna’ support Obama?

cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I love the guy and very proud of him for doing the right thing. It was either flame out in SC or help prevent a Mittastrophe.This makes the choices very stark now.

Southernblogger on January 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Romney isn’t credible, Newt might be.

Gladtobehere on January 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Dollayo on January 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM

If you look at my whole comment, you’ll see that I was referring to the general election when the media and Obama will go after Romney’s credibility with everything they’ve got. In the primaries, either the other candidates ignored Romney – each one fighting to be the one non-Romney – or they launched completely ineffectual attacks on Romney, like his record at Bain. The primary attacks should have focused on Romney’s record in Massachussets and his lack of general trustworthiness. My concern is that in the general election Romney’s credibility will completely collapse. No one wants another lying liberal, and if that’s all that there is, Obama is a better liar.

Gladtobehere on January 19, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Let’s nominate Newt. I am looking forward to all you ABRtards including Limbaugh and Palin getting the biggest ass whupping in history, because that’s exactly what Newt will get.

This party needs to be split in two.

haner on January 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

The funny thing about this post is that you seriously believe you would wind up in the bigger half of the two.

If the Republican party split in two, the more conservative party would be twice the size of the other one — at least. It would be far easier for a conservative to become a candidate for president. Whether or not that conservative would win would depend on the other two major candidates. Third party elections generally throw the election to the Democrat, but if the third party were actually a major party rather than a single-purpose creation meant only to elect one man, that might completely change the game.

However, the one candidate who would be sure to lose would be the one from the liberal remnant of the Republican party.

All the conservative candidate would have to do is get the vote of the conservative party, and enough of the liberal ex-Republicans to put them over the top of the Democrats’ guaranteed 45%. Given how much the RINOs love electability arguments, that might not be all that difficult.

Maybe you should try to split the party in two. Just bear in mind that your side is the one with the most to lose.

tom on January 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Newt is having a speech and Fox is doing a great job of breaking away constantly. Guess they joined the MSM.

bluefox on January 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM

IF I don’t protest vote, I’d vote Newt, not Mitt.

cartooner on January 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I don’t like either one.
But remember something else: SCOTUS appointments & the general direction policies in US agencies like the EPA etc. are directed under someone who is not Obama.
To not vote is really effing us all in the a$$.
America’s going down.
I have no doubt about that.
But why in the he!! would you not at least try to make it as painless as possible?
IMO-’protest’ voters are voting for Democrats.
Cuz that is the result.
So in advance, thanks a f^%$ing lot.

Badger40 on January 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Perry stopped being an attention Hawg and is now a quitter.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM

whatcat on January 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I saw that, and unlike other hatin’ nutballs, his sarcasm was detectable.
Do you really think TRM is gonna’ support Obama?
cozmo on January 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM

As I noted, he’s vowed many times in the past that he would. So, you either got a troll or someone who’s very emotionally unstable there. Either way, such a person renders him/herself totally irrelevant. As Germans might say, they “macht nichts”.

whatcat on January 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM

As you know, this resurgence is in the a GOP primary and is a protest vote against Romney. That dynamic disappears in the general and these issues become front and center for the indies.

Gingrich loses with the indies. All the polls reflect that reality.

csdeven on January 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Didn’t the polls say that McCain would win with the indies? Seriously asking here, because I seem to remember that being the case, but I’m not sure.

totherightofthem on January 19, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Can we all say Obama 2012? Because Obama will not lose to any of these clowns. Records will beat Obama, rhetoric will not.

Now excuse me while I go order some “Hope and Change” paraphernalia. Maybe the ObamaMessiah will throw me some crumbs if I beg hard enough.

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

That’s the spirit! See you at the inauguration in 2013!
RightMan is now an ObamaMan. Welcome Aboard!

BedBug on January 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Bye.

Mcguyver on January 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

This used to be a nice neighborhood before the libtards moved in.

Meow on January 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Back from luncheon, 10 ag scholarships awarded.

Juliesa

The Red State model will only work until Texas becomes a blue state. Majority Hispanic by 2020, 2025 at the latest, by the State’s own demographic projections. As I said to cozmo, “See, e.g. California.”

By the way, feel for ya on the Perry dropping out thing. Went through Palin, Cain, Bachmann, so know it isn’t fun.

Horace on January 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I’m referring to the business model, not the social model, idiot. And also, we are recruiting Hispanic citizens to the GOP as fast as we can. If you want to help save the US, you will too. I’m putting a lot of money into this. What are you doing?

juliesa on January 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Buy Danish

cozmo wouldn’t/couldn’t furnish a link to my “Perry-hatin’ nutball” comments either. Said I wasn’t “important enough” for him to do so.

However, being polite, I asked him to link your “hatin’ Perry” remarks first as you were ahead of me in line.

Waiting…waiting…waiting….

Horace on January 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM

What are you doing?

juliesa on January 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Making homemade chicken soup and talking to my daughter on the phone.

But, do respect the work you are doing. Not enough like you or this country wouldn’t be in such a mess.

Horace on January 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM

TheRightMan

Yes yes….the only person who can really beat Obama is a guy that republicans don’t even want to vote for, and the rest of the country believes is dumb as a stump, lol. The stupid is strong in this one, folks. Paulbots and Palinistas ain’t got nothing on you, crazy man. Obama might not lose to any of the remaining clowns. He definitely wouldn’t have lost to Perry.

cartooner

So you support Romneycare AND Obamacare then, right? Because both were supposedly done for ECONOMICAL reasons, correct?

The reality is Perry has only himself to blame for his poor numbers. Calling your potential supporters heartless and racist isn’t a good way to get their vote, and struggling to answer every question you’re asked in a semi-coherent way doesn’t help either. He could have ran away with the nomination, but instead, he blew it. And that’s no one’s fault but his.

xblade on January 19, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Perry made a HUGE ERROR.

Look at the gallop national tracker. 3 straight daily upticks. No coincidence. A 60% gain in national support in 3 days. Perry was just beginning his steep upward re-ascent. Right now! Go ahead Perry… it doesn’t matter anyways. This is reason.. to take it back! Make a triple stir… you cannot lose, only gain. Jump back in.

anotherJoe on January 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Gov. Perry, thank you very much for your service. You did your best.

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I agree with the first sentence, but vehemently disagree with your second.

Which is going to be the biggest disappointment of all. I don’t think he did his best. I think he came with great expectations and proceeded to kick them around the field. He probably would have done just fine had he started well, but for whatever reason came unprepared and what seemed like disinterested.

It’s a shame and I think the country is worse for it.

Have to say, though, that I am not going to miss you, Aslan’s Girl and a few others who came through every thread to cr*p on the other candidates. You and your compatriots did the man no service.

kim roy on January 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM

She’s in the pocket of John “Bhopal” Coale.

nuff said

workingclass artist on January 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM

What is the significance of the quotation marks around Bhopal? And why do you think Palin is in this guy’s pocket?

cptacek on January 19, 2012 at 4:44 PM

To GG, ALT and AG,

Sorry your guy is out. Just be sure to get out and vote against PBHO in the general election!

MJBrutus on January 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM

TheRightMan on January 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I hope you change your mind. I don’t think Rick Perry would want you to work and vote for Obama. Be bitter today but in the future work to get conservatives in congress and in your local and state gov’t.

jazzuscounty on January 19, 2012 at 5:28 PM

cptacek on January 19, 2012 at 4:44 PM

John “Bhopal” Cole is a sleazy trial lawyer with a vendetta against Perry over Tort Reform in Texas which chased sleazy lawyers like him and his buddies out of Texas…He announced publicly he would rally opposition to Perry anyway he could.

He is married to Greta Van Sustern. He negotiated Palin’s contract at Fox and funded her Superpac and her bus tour. He also advised Cain during his bimbo eruption.

He calls himself “Bhopal” because he made a lot of money from the Bhopal incident but I don’t know how much the victims got…He’s a big fan of the Clintons and John Edwards and supported him in 2008. Trial lawyers stick together.

Ailes got rid of Beck who will die a slow painful media death as he heads into the Alex Jones wasteland and Ailes announced the network was moving to the center.

Tea Party is over folks…You would have had a voice with Perry and an ear.

Palin never intended a serious run in 2012…But Fox got their ratings didn’t they?

workingclass artist on January 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Perry made a HUGE ERROR.

anotherJoe on January 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Who do you think controls the polls..this was released to humiliate Gov. Perry again just like that bogus Texas poll.

Wakeup…

workingclass artist on January 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Tuesday: “One of these conservatives is going to have to take one for the team.” – Sarah Palin.

She must have meant the only conservative in the race will have to take one for the team.

jazzuscounty on January 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM

workingclass artist on January 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Alex Jones, in all his lunatic attention-whoring, has never had a top-ranked radio show, nor a chart-topping television show, nor been a top-selling author, nor had anywhere near the resources to come close to starting a major, multi-faceted media franchise.

It takes a LOT of willful ignorance (or mere disingenuity) to try to equate the relevancy of Beck and Jones.

Beck’s GBTV gambit may fail miserably, but he certainly has a long way to get to the “Alex Jones” level of obscurity.

Also: Ailes moving the network more to the center (the whole network or just the commentary shows?) will only open a niche for a well-funded, polished, center-right news/commentary network to exploit. The conservative viewer demand which Fox has been servicing for years with great success will go elsewhere when Fox ceases to give them what they want.

Harpazo on January 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM

jazzuscounty on January 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Meh. Just like the rest of the field, Perry was conservative in some areas and not so much in others.

None of these candidates (nor Palin, for that matter) are pure as the driven snow in their conservatism.

Nor is economic policy the essential, central, defining aspect of conservatism (some folks this cycle REALLY need to remember that). If it were, President Giuliani (or Romney) would be now just gearing up for re-election.

Harpazo on January 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

It should have been Newt who dropped out. Rick Perry is a much better man than Gingrich. No self-respecting Rick Perry supporter could ever vote for Newt Gingrich.

bluegill on January 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Wow. I guess you really DO think we Perry supporters are stupid, like you’ve been saying all along. Unfortunately for you, since your over-the-top nasty rhetoric against Perry has been among the worst at HotAir, you’ve managed to alienate all of the Perry supporters- so forget about us buying that line of BS. Now you’ve switched the object of your anyone-but-Romney hatred to Newt Gingrich. By the time this is all over you will have shot your credibility with everyone but the most nutjob of Mittbots, if you haven’t already. Which you probably have.

kg598301 on January 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Perry did all of the right things for all of the right reasons.

Well done, Governor.

DannoJyd on January 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Good job Team Perry..Sometimes it just does not happen..:)

Dire Straits on January 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM