The Duggar kids serenade Santorum supporters

posted at 8:41 pm on January 18, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Fun fact: Way back in the day, when my family lived in Springdale, Ark., I participated in an annual piano ensemble in which a handful of the Duggar children also participated. They need no help from anybody else to comprise an ensemble now, though — and that’s just what they did at an event to support Rick Santorum. No pianos were present — but they accompanied their voices with guitars, a mandolin and a violin. I’m not a huge fan of the first selection, Woody Guthrie’s “This Land Is Your Land,” but entertainers can never go wrong with “God Bless America,” and the Duggars sang that song, too.

As a musical performance on the campaign trail, I’d rate this somewhere below Jon Huntsman’s jamming and Herman Cain’s impromptu singing, but way above the Huntsman girls’ spoof of “Sexy Back.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

listens2glenn on January 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Okey-doke. Someone posited that it was odd that (Baptist) Mr. Duggar was supporting (Catholic) Mr. Santorum, since some Baptists see the Catholic religion as bad. I (a recovering Catholic) assumed that as Mr. Duggar & Co are against birth control, Mr. Santorum has stated the concepts that I grew up with: He is personally against birth control, so Mr. Duggar might have found a common bond there.

Granted, I stated it inartfully enough to reap dissent, but my intention was explanation, not insult. I even tried to clarify later by stating that no President on his/her own could outlaw birth control.

‘kay?

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM

LOL- I found your post extremely funny… So if I like high heels and corsets then I am inferior? BTW, I as a WOMAN find feeling feminine to be powerful.

melle1228 on January 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I’m a short woman blessed to be married to a short guy-so I choose not to wear heels…despite my husband’s begging me to do otherwise.
I like being a tomboy. Dressing girly has never appealed to me. I don’t wear dresses either.
That’s what’s great about conservative ‘feminism’-women are free to be their powerful selves.
*grins*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Wow, I didn’t feel insulted and I sure didn’t intend to give you that impression.
I failed to grasp your first response to one of my posts, and you are certainly not the first one I’ve experienced that with. Or the second, or third, or fourth, etc. I’m sure you won’t be the last, either.
Anyway, thanks for that come-back. : )

listens2glenn on January 18, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Bleh. If Santorum’s skin isn’t crawling because of this he doesn’t deserve my vote.

Wolfmoon on January 19, 2012 at 12:31 AM

And conservatives are so welcoming and tolerant.

People who push out babies as a business model are freaks.

urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

FO

smoothsailing on January 19, 2012 at 3:40 AM

The von Duggar Family.

Tina, that’s funny . . .

BigAlSouth on January 19, 2012 at 6:23 AM

I would be one of them – there is a wide, gaping chasm between having 18 children and having abortions – it’s called birth control, and it is glorious.

King B on January 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM

You are aware that those children were wanted, right? In other words, they weren’t “accidents”.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 19, 2012 at 7:12 AM

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 19, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Please don’t let the facts get in the way of a meme…

Bunsin2 on January 19, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Children are indeed a gift from the Lord.

Unless you are a “take-back” queen who picks out her own gifts.

elm on January 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Thanks Tina.

In that corner of Arkansas, there is a very large Baptist church. I do not see Dems trying to speak at the church. As a matter of fact, several years ago the ACLU went after the church for its Patriotic 4th of July program.

seven on January 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I watch their show on TLC. This family lives conservative values. They are self sustaining. They teach their children self reliance. They believe in service to community. They go on charity missions to other countries. They have run for elective office to serve the local people. They win some, they lose some of those elections. They are not a burden to the local taxpayers for the schools because they home school. They teach their children right from wrong and how to behave. They teach their children about our country and its heritage. They ensure that their daughters drive, so they are not of the type of scarey fundies that repress women. Jim Bob is extremely respectful to his wife.

What is so controversial about this family other than they believe that there should be no artificial means to prevent natural fertility?

You haters should be ashamed of yourselves.

karenhasfreedom on January 18, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Exactly! Liberals are such hypocrites! They incessantly preach tolerance for every.single.lifestyle.imaginable. “Live and let live” is their motto. Unless they disagree with the lifestyle, then they wage all out war against the “freaks”.

Okay then, hypocrites.

mom29js on January 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM

You libs are always so loving and accepting.
arnold ziffel on January 18, 2012 at 8:51 PM

And conservatives are so welcoming and tolerant.
People who push out babies as a business model are freaks.
urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

So they’re ‘squirting out babies’ to promote their musical tour?
I’d say the expression of that ‘insult disguised as a perspective’ exposes you as someone ‘grasping at straws’ in a desperate bid of ideological defensiveness.

listens2glenn on January 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM

urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Some people promote positions, some people produce products and some people produce …producers…and Atlas Shrugged!

RedLizard64 on January 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM