Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on January 18, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Today, we interrupt this feature to remind people to call their elected officials in Congress to oppose the SOPA and PIPA bills.  We aren’t going to take the site dark today, as some of our on-line colleagues will as a reminder of the power that SOPA and PIPA would give the federal government to shut down websites with no due process.  We think it’s too important to keep exercising our freedom of speech, but still definitely salute those who are reminding us in their silence all to take action against a seriously misguided effort to protect intellectual rights — a worthwhile goal, but not at the expense of putting government in the position of acting as a prior-restraint gatekeeper outside of the normal due process afforded by the courts.

If we don’t take the site dark, I can at least suspend this daily feature for a day to remind people what it might be like if we put the power of SOPA and/or PIPA into the hands of an executive branch inclined to stifle criticism (it’s worth noting that the Obama administration has now expressed some opposition to SOPA, at least).  We’ll be back tomorrow.  In the meantime, either contact your elected representatives or sign the online petition against SOPA/PIPA.

Comments

Well done! SOPA is scary and must be defeated.

gophergirl on January 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I’m not thrilled, either, about Homeland Security recording blogs like Hot Air, either.

1984 is here – just not yet activated.

cane_loader on January 18, 2012 at 8:09 AM

No guts, no glory, sopa is wrong, take the site down. If a liberal bastion like Wikipedia can do it so should we, at the heart of conservative/authentic freedom.

ArthurMachado on January 18, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Hey, some kind of record! No one yelled “FIRST,” in the first two comments!

cane_loader on January 18, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Everyone’s a criminal, now.

OldEnglish on January 18, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I just checked out Wikipedia. Spooky.

Key West Reader on January 18, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Hey, some kind of record! No one yelled “FIRST,” in the first two comments!

cane_loader on January 18, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Have you seen Bishop’s armoury?

OldEnglish on January 18, 2012 at 8:12 AM

take HA down! SOPA is too important for our token concern!

nathor on January 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Hear hear Ed!

Just watched atlas shrugged the other night….we are living it now?

cmsinaz on January 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Liberty… not the word I was thinking of, Ed…

Thx for the wake up call on this issue…

Khun Joe on January 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Ya’ shoulda’ given us all a break.

I just checked out Wikipedia. Spooky.

Key West Reader on January 18, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Being my usual mischievous self, I used google, with the blacked out header, to look something up on wiki.

There is a delay that shows the wiki page before it goes black. Press the stop button on the browser before the page goes black and you can still use wiki.

Not that there is anything I need to look up today, but you never know.

cozmo on January 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM

This is going to be one boring day… thanks authoritarian CongressWeasels! We the People deserve a government that upholds our Constitutional freedoms. A government that continues to erode our God-given (not governmentally permitted) freedoms must be a government that we challenge at every opportunity.

ExpressoBold on January 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Hey, some kind of record! No one yelled “FIRST,” in the first two comments!

cane_loader on January 18, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Thirteenth!

Just because….and because calling “FIRST” could probably twisted to be a violation of SOPA somehow…

ProfShadow on January 18, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Also, contact Lamar Smith’s office and let them know that you fully intend to help Smith’s next and inevitable primary opponent.

beatcanvas on January 18, 2012 at 8:24 AM

SOPA/PIPA will require breaking of digits for typing “FIRST” :D

My collie told me so.

cane_loader on January 18, 2012 at 8:25 AM

make sure to contact your representatives. i was very surprised that marco rubio supports sopa/pipa. i sent him a “nice” email today…

kastor on January 18, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Members of Congress should have the words CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW tattooed upon their foreheads.

turfmann on January 18, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I’m looking forward to helping the Obama Administration go dark this time next year . . .

tpitman on January 18, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Once they get their hands on the Internet we can never get it back. Stop SOPA/PIPA!

Dollayo on January 18, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Hey — we agree on something.

Too bad that, as a resident of DC, I have no Congressman to call or write.

urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I just checked out Wikipedia. Spooky.

Key West Reader on January 18, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Yes it is

gophergirl on January 18, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Ed, I appreciate this article, and I agree with the decision not to suspend Hot Air’s operations for the day. The content here is too important. However, I would say that there should be something on the home page that indicates the site’s opposition to SOPA. Right now, this article is just linked under the “Obamateurism of the Day” heading with no indication of what its content is. I think there should be something more prominent, much as Google has managed to do a clear show of opposition to the bill without actually disabling their site.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Shump on January 18, 2012 at 8:38 AM

cozmo on January 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM

There’s a “stop button” on my browser? lol

Ignorance is bliss…

Fallon on January 18, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Too bad that, as a resident of DC, I have no Congressman to call or write.

urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Them’s the breaks. Did you not know that going in?

cozmo on January 18, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Hey, some kind of record! No one yelled “FIRST,” in the first two comments!

cane_loader on January 18, 2012 at 8:11 AM

SOPA fail

There, C L, my version of First! : )

Well done, Ed!

herm2416 on January 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Let’s all be under arrest!

KOOLAID2 on January 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Noted “Constitutionalists” Mike Lee and Orrin Hatch both support PIPA. For as much support as Mike Lee got, from across the country, for his bid to unseat Bob Bennett in 2010 he needs to get as many CALLS for his support of PIPA.

LL

Lady Logician on January 18, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Too bad that, as a resident of DC, I have no Congressman to call or write.

urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Them’s the breaks. Did you not know that going in?

cozmo on January 18, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I did. But, you know, I can’t help but think that taxation without representation is a bit tyrannical.

Fortunately, both the kids are now residng in swing states. Need to get them registered.

urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Hot Gas is my favorite news/political site. I don’t live here, but I usually visit it at least once a day.

Still, it would have been cool to shut this place down for 24 hrs. just to see first-hand the effects of the policies of the totalitarians in Congress.

MisterElephant on January 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Too bad that, as a resident of DC, I have no Congressman to call or write.

urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Now you know that isn’t true. You do not have a voting member of Congress (Praise the Lord!) but you do have a non-voting representative who is also on several important committees to DC. I’m sick and tired of all the dishonesty whenever the issue of DC statehood comes up! Holmes Norton, or Gray or any other far-left idiots whine about not being represented when, in fact, they are represented in accordance with the Constitution.

And, BTW, DC government sucks enough now under an idiot like Gray without deciding it is a good idea to let DC residents get two Senators and a voting member of the House! Too few residents, too invested in the welfare culture of the left, and no compelling reason to give DC statehood. They need to prove they can run the city honestly, fairly, and effectively and even that has proven impossible given all the criminals and investigations since Gray took over and handed the city back to the same crowd the propped up Marion Barry.

Happy Nomad on January 18, 2012 at 8:58 AM

SOPA applied to ROPA – yeah, that’s the recipe.

Archivarix on January 18, 2012 at 8:58 AM

urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM

You knew it, you moved there anyway and you want things changed to suit you. That sounds like a certain group…I just can’t place it right now.

cozmo on January 18, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Thanks for doing this Ed…

OmahaConservative on January 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Too bad that, as a resident of DC, I have no Congressman to call or write.

urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM

We have no vote in Congress — under the Republican leadership, not even in committee.

I don;t recall the residents of, say, Alabama, being asked to prove that their affairs were sufficiently ordered to justify sending a representative or six to Washington.

If you don’t believe American citizens should have a voice in Congress, just say so. These elaborate justifications are tiresome.

Gray will be gone in two years, btw.
Happy Nomad on January 18, 2012 at 8:58 A

urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM

What’s the big deal? Tech-savvy Man-O’-The-People President Obama just won’t sign it.

Right? Right?

rogerb on January 18, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Right? Right?

rogerb on January 18, 2012 at 9:05 AM

the dems are in the pocket of anti sopa corporations like google. that their real motivation to stop this thing.

nathor on January 18, 2012 at 9:17 AM

They had it right two millennia ago:

Sic Semper Tyrranis

That will change to:
Moriturite Salutamus once we elect a conservative POTUS.
Aren’t we up to 70+% dissatisfaction with ChicagØbama yet?
Only Perry and maybe Gingrich can unseat that man-child in mom-jeans.
Maybe then, the military will respect a new POTUS.
Just a Thawt
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 18, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Ed, there is an interesting editorial about SOPA in today’s WSJ. I’d like to know what you think of it….in your spare time. : )))))).

herm2416 on January 18, 2012 at 9:20 AM

urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM

But Alabama follows the constitution. You want to be special

Bless your heart.

cozmo on January 18, 2012 at 9:25 AM

urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Actually you are wrong. They had to prove their viability as part of the process toward statehood. Mayor Gray and company don’t think they need to prove any sort of viability and of course to even question the need to change the Constitution to accomodate DC Statehood makes one a racist.

It is absurd to think that the few residents of DC deserve to have two permanent Dem votes in the Senate and a permanant Dem seat in the House. These are the bleatings of selfish and unrealistic Dem partisans. In no way does it make sense for DC to become a state. Anybody that argues for DC statehood is not working off the principle of representation but, rather in trying to manipulate our democracy to give one political party permanent control over the legislative process and citizenry that extends far wider than a city with pretensions. You area a “district” not a state, get over it or move! Plenty of commies over here in Arlington with a Congressman who does vote just like DC would like.

Happy Nomad on January 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Too bad that, as a resident of DC, I have no Congressman to call or write.

urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Did something happen to Eleanor Norton?

Oldnuke on January 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM

nathor on January 18, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Actually from the analysis I’ve seen these bills are just bad legislation that is sloppy in terminology, bodes to come with consequences that supporters downplay, and does absolutely nothing to protect intellectual property from international piracy.

That left-wing organizations like Google and Wiki are protesting should not be construed to mean this is a partisan issue. In fact, I saw one story from a Wiki contributor who did not like that they went political by shutting down the site in protest.

Happy Nomad on January 18, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I’m sure almost everyone here has violated SOPA as it stands right now. Please fight to defeat this bill. Every Facebook post that you link to an article, picture, song, whatever that has copyright protection and you didn’t ask to use makes you a criminal. The internet is not theirs to legislate. Stop this insanity now.

Kanyin on January 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Opposition to SOPA and PIPA should by rights be a wholly bipartisan issue. Even the leftist websites are up in arms about it and it certainly doesn’t pass the smell test for conservatives.

And yet our duly elected bought and paid for by K street Congress has other ideas…

This is the problem when you leave Congress to its own devices. They come up with seemingly well intentioned (or not) legislation that is fundamentally stupid.

CorporatePiggy on January 18, 2012 at 9:35 AM

1984 is here – just not yet activated.

cane_loader on January 18, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Hey, the Department Of Home(R)land Security (DOHS!) can record whatever I say until their eyeballs bleed!

Just as long as I know whatever I say drives them up the proverbial wall!

pilamaye on January 18, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I actually emailed myself a link to a wiki page yesterday to open today to see what happened, guess what it opened with no problems. Try it yourself if you have a page bookmarked.

Stop SOPA and any other attemps by the federal government to “protect” the internet. Name one thing the federal government ever involved themselves in that worked out better.

D-fusit on January 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Email from DemandProgress.org:

In just under 12 hours since last evening, 30,000 people have pledged to Vote For The Net. If you haven’t already, please click here to join them.

We just created a widget that you can embed on your own website to let the world know that you’re voting for the net — and urge others to take the pledge too. (The image in the upper right of this email will appear.)

Will you add our badge to your site? You can just use this snippet of code:

Politicians need to understand that they’ll feel heat from the voters if they stand against a free Internet and freedom of expression.

VoteForTheNet.com will serve as a hub for electoral activism against SOPA and PIPA, and in support of a free Internet.

Click here to pledge to oppose candidates who support Internet censorship.

petefrt on January 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Hey — we agree on something.

Too bad that, as a resident of DC, I have no Congressman to call or write.

urban elitist on January 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM

but you can participate in protests so much easier!

nathor on January 18, 2012 at 9:49 AM

D-fusit on January 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM

The establishment of a standing national army in lieu of relying on state militias for national security.

I tried the Wiki thing and the actual page showed up for all of 15 seconds and then a screen came up with a way to contact your Congresscritter. I’m against this legislation but I’m also against political activism by sites like Wiki

Happy Nomad on January 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Happy Nomad on January 18, 2012 at 9:33 AM

What I am trying to do is deny the dems of playing the good guy in this story. Their real interest is to server the lobbyists that bought them, not their base.
so it happens that conservatives and liberals, have a coincident interest in stopping this thing. and we should have no shame of going bipartisan on this.

nathor on January 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Happy Nomad on January 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM

As a veteran myself I should have known that, thanks for the correction.

D-fusit on January 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM

DON’T GO DARK!!

NEED HOTAIR TO BREATHE!!

askwhatif on January 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Happy Nomad on January 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Much like FDR trying to stack the Supreme Court, eh?
The Leftist gyrations to control this country knows no bounds.
(sigh)

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Thanks, Ed!

thuja on January 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Signed, I’m lucky , Our Senators seemed to get it. Thanks Ed. I’d do just about anything to defeat these folks. Come on November.

Bmore on January 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

D-fusit on January 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Happy Nomad on January 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Agreed, the only one is our great military, but the government is trying to screw them over too. I wanted to say our space program, but we can’t have American ingenuity on display anymore.

Didn’t Reagan say that gov’t is the problem.

jazzuscounty on January 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM

As Wikipedia explains on their SOPA page, you can still fully make use of Wikipedia today by first disabling JavaScript in your browser.

Our purpose here isn’t to make it completely impossible for people to read Wikipedia, and it’s okay for you to circumvent the blackout. We just want to make sure you see our message.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM