Fox News: The TV source Americans trust the most AND the least

posted at 7:31 pm on January 18, 2012 by Tina Korbe

The Fox News Channel is simultaneously America’s most trusted news source and its least, according to a new poll from Public Policy Polling. Now, if the very same Americans said they both trusted and distrusted Fox, that might have suggested the channel is as perfectly fair and balanced as its executives claim. That is, if conservatives and liberals alike trusted half the information Fox provided and distrusted the other half, a plausible explanation would be that Fox provided liberal and conservative commentary in equal measure. Unfortunately for Fox, that’s not the case here. Instead, the breakdown is predictable: Republicans overwhelmingly trust Fox, while Democrats regard the cable news channel with a wary eye.

Fox is the most trusted TV news source for 34% of voters, followed by PBS at 17%, CNN at 12%, ABC News at 11%, CBS News at 8%, MSNBC at 5%, and Comedy Central and NBC each at 4%.

68% of Republicans pick Fox as their most trusted source, with no one else even hitting double digits. Democrats split closely three ways with PBS at 21%, ABC News at 19%, and CNN at 17%. Despite having a reputation for appealing to the left MSNBC actually polls in only 6th place among Democrats at 8%, finishing slightly behind even Fox News’ 9%. Independents split almost evenly between Fox News (29%) and PBS (27%).

Fox is also the least trusted TV news source for 34% of voters, followed by Comedy Central at 16%, MSNBC at 15%, CNN at 11%, ABC News at 7%, CBS News at 5%, PBS at 2%, and NBC News at 1%.

Democrats (53-17 over Comedy Central) and independents (44-13 over Comedy Central) both overwhelmingly say Fox is their least trusted news source. Republicans go for MSNBC by a 28-23 margin over CNN, followed by Comedy Central at 18% and ABC News at 10%.

The poll also asked whether folks trusted each individual source.  PBS was the only news source that a majority of those polled said they trust. A plurality of voters also said they trust CNN, NBC and Fox. The rest of the sources run an explicit trust deficit; more individuals said they don’t trust them than said they do.

The sample skewed conservative and Democrat, with a liberal/moderate/conservative breakdown of 28/27/44 and a Democrat/Independent/Republican breakdown of 41/24/35.

In general, the directors of PPP say this poll suggests TV news has become every bit as polarized as the political parties in this country. “Television news has become just as polarizing as the politicians themselves,” PPP president Dean Debnam said in a press release. “Democrats trust everything except Fox News, while Republicans trust nothing except Fox News.”

To me, the poll serves as a timely reminder to check a diversity of sources to ensure a well-rounded perspective on the world. Realistically, time constraints and the general demands of life often preclude the casual media consumer from checking a multiplicity of sources, but that doesn’t mean consumers can’t switch it up occasionally.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I do not pay for them with my service. They are moving more and more left.

carbon_footprint on January 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Fox, with Hume leading, are so deep into Romney’s azz that they all look brown and stink.

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Also, their babes look good but most are as dumb as rocks.

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Yeah, all those idiot lawyers./s

talkingpoints on January 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Wait, why was Comedy Central even an option? Has Cartman become a news anchor now?

Dunedainn on January 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I don’t trust FOX News very much at all. (Not that I trust those others either.) Far too many times they’ve gotten the facts just plain wrong. The only thing worth watching on a regular basis is the panel during Bret Baier, but that’s what, 20 or so minutes? (Red Eye can be OK in small doses.) FOX Business is much better.

I get my actual news from various sites on the Internet.(WSJ Online edition, NYT, Hot Air, other news sites that have news from the AP and Reuters wires, etc.)

McDuck on January 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I like having a partisan media. You know what you’re getting. What I don’t like is a partisan media that constantly pretends it’s objective. Aside from the annoyance of the so-called “main stream” news not being objective at all, those outlets just piss me off when they tell me I am NOT seeing the bias that any toddler could see. What’s the old saying? Don’t piss on my leg and tell me it’s raining. Own your damn bias, you cowards!

Rational Thought on January 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM

FOX is fine, you can hear the left from Geraldo and Shepard Smith, the right from Hannity, the middle from O’Reilly, libertarian from Judge Napolitono (I hope I spelled his name right)..

To say they don’t at least try to be even handed is dishonest. Which democrats are by nature,.. and FOX is pro-Romney? uh huh,.. I’not, aad I never thought so,..

Sounds like more sour grapes, my candidate sucked , I’ll blame FOX,..

Typical.

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM

according to a new poll from Public Policy Polling

Stopped reading right there…

Hog Wild on January 18, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I don,t trust Fox that much anymore.After what they did to Beck and gave us that great show The Five.Just can,t wait till 5 everyday just to watch Beckel belch and scratch his A##.They say their fair and balance .But if they have 2 people on and both are telling lies all you get is lies.Also they are very much in the tank for Romney .They should try a new motto.How about Fair and the Truth.

logman1 on January 18, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Judging by the way Drudge pretty much stomped on the “news” world today, I’d say the legacy media is pretty much dead and buried anyway. Boy can he ever drive a news cycle. Here’s hoping he’ll be 100% in the tank for the Republican nominee heading into 2012!

Rational Thought on January 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM

So a fair number of those polled were schizophrenic?

peski on January 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM

OK! So who is so much better than Fox News?
THE TRUTH!!!!! YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!

KOOLAID2 on January 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Sounds like more sour grapes, my candidate sucked , I’ll blame FOX,..

Typical.

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Not to mention that paragon of reason and balance, Alan Combs.

peski on January 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Comedy Central???

The Ugly American on January 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Why is SNL missing?

ktrich on January 18, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Spend half your time on MSNBC and the other half on FOX….when they agree, let that be when they cancel each other out

Vntnrse on January 18, 2012 at 7:51 PM

McDuck on January 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM

When? How so?, I’ve never seen them any more inaccurate than the others, and far more likely to correct any mistake.. ever see an on air retraction and apology from MSNBC?

I never have, and distort is their watchword.

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM

other news sites that have news from the AP and Reuters wires, etc.)

McDuck on January 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Don’t trust either al-AP or Rooters.

A couple of years ago al-AP ran with a “poll” they did that sampled twice as many Democrats as Republicans.

And a few years back, Rooters was busted for Photoshopping their “news” photos from Israel.

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I don’t care for Fox News anymore. I’ve noticed they are doing for Romney what MSNBC did for Obama back during the primary against Hillary, and it’s really irritating.

Gay Conservative Out!

Stryker83 on January 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM

The left doesn’t “trust” Fox simply because it presents negative stories about the current administration.

Talking about Solyndra proves you are RACIST!

All hail, The Obamassiah!

GarandFan on January 18, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Neil Cavuto or nothing at all is where I finally landed, although at times I can endure an hour with Greta.

hillsoftx on January 18, 2012 at 7:55 PM

What’s amazing is the news that is for the leftys isn’t even trusted by the democRATS.

angrymike on January 18, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I wish Fox was better at breaking and foreign news.

Cindy Munford on January 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

McDuck on January 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Totally agree. Bias is one thing but when you get the facts wrong on a consistent basis then you have no credibility. I enjoy Bret Baier’s panel, particularly when Krauthammer is there, but otherwise Fox is just a bad news channel. Unfortunately we don’t get Fox Business or else I’d love to watch Stossel’s show on a regular basis instead of just the occasional weekend repeat.

For just straight news the internet is far and away the best place to go.

ManFromNowhere on January 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Liberal Media Distorts News Bias

“Fox News is clearly more conservative than ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC and National Public Radio. Some will conclude that ‘therefore, this means that Fox News has a conservative bias,’” he writes in an advance copy provided to Washington Whispers. “Instead, maybe it is centrist, and possibly even left-leaning, while all the others are far left. It’s like concluding that six-three is short just because it is short compared to professional basketball players.”

Flora Duh on January 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Heck, I’m not even American and I only trust Fox News

Jimbobby on January 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I feel sorry for anyone who says they trust the media.

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I wish Fox was better at breaking and foreign news.

Cindy Munford on January 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Really. Their idea of a “FOX News Alert” has become a joke. It’s like every time they come back from a commercial it’s a “FOX News Alert”.

Flora Duh on January 18, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Stopped reading right there…

Hog Wild on January 18, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Then you missed the SHOCKING, yes SHOCKING, fact that the channel most popular with the Dims as a reliable news source was PBS at 21%. Now you’re sorry you didn’t read more, aren’t you?

predator on January 18, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Drudge. Milking.

carbon_footprint on January 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Contessa Brewer just emailed from her new job as Keith Olbermann’s Personal Assistant. She wants to know if anybody over at PPP has a degree in Statistical Analysis.

SlaveDog on January 18, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I watch only FOX, but read online from various sources, no harm in that, but when they cover fast and furious, and CBS NBC ABC and CNN won’t touch it, won’t cover any Obama scandals… leaving the republican conservative side hanging out there, when democrats can quite seriously say, they never heard of any wrong doing by Obama and company.

There is covering the news with a bias towards the right or left, then, there is lie by omission, leaving important stories uncovered to protect their chosen party. You can dislike FOX’s style, their slant, but when the MSM stone cold distorts the narrative deliberately to cover for their president, FOX is the most trusted, because there is quite literally, no other news source left,… they all abdicated..

so, FOX is bad again, why?

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Far too many times they’ve gotten the facts just plain wrong.

McDuck on January 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM

ManFromNowhere on January 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Care to give us credible, multi-sourced cites of all these things that FNC has gotten “wrong” on a “regular basis”?

Key words bolded.

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Sounds like more sour grapes, my candidate sucked , I’ll blame FOX,..

Typical.

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Indeed.

I’ve always gotten a Judeo-Christian loving, patriotic vibe from FNC and FBN, which seems to be just the opposite from the other channels. No wonder why I love FOX.

redridinghood on January 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I love seeing the FOX NEWS ALERT on their weekend business shows that were taped the day before.

YYZ on January 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I wish Fox was better at breaking and foreign news.

Cindy Munford on January 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

What’s amusing is that they have FOX News Alerts for the most insignificant things (FOX News Alert: Firemen try to save cat stuck in tree), but are often behind their competitors when it comes to covering important breaking news. CNN does a better job of actually covering breaking news as it is happening. (The only good thing about that channel.)

McDuck on January 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM

No one finds it odd that Comedy Central is being called a source for news? That says everything about the mentality of our fellow countrymen.

I think Comedy Central’s inclusion in this poll is a bigger story than the Foxnews numbers.

ButterflyDragon on January 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM

28/27/44

They oversampled Liberals by 7 points, Conservatives by 4 points, and undersampled moderates by 8.

vegconservative on January 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Fox News Channel has Geraldo. It’s golden.

SlaveDog on January 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Don’t ya just love it when the left tries to argue there’s no liberal bias in the media?

Tapper Acknowledges in 2008 the Media ‘Tilted on the Scales a Little Bit’ for Obama

MSNBC’s Mika Brzezinski opened up with Julie Menin about the state of the media today.

“I’ve worked in the mainstream media for all the networks and I will say what people aren’t saying. It’s got a liberal world view. There are great people working at the networks, and they’re mostly democrats, ok?,” said Brzezinski, whose father was National Security Adviser to Pres. Carter.

“I think honestly what needs to happen, is we need to stop pretending about who we are and every journalist should tell us what their political affiliation is, who they voted for, and we go from there.”

“Many in the media have been one-sided, sometimes adding to Obama’s distortions rather than acting as impartial reporters of fact and referees of the mud fights…. We hear a lot less about Democratic sins such as President Clinton’s distortions of Bob Dole’s position on Medicare in 1996 and the NAACP’s stunningly scurrilous ad campaign in 2000 associating George W. Bush’s opposition to a hate crimes bill with the racist murderers who dragged James Byrd behind a truck.” — National Journal columnist Stuart Taylor, September 20, 2008.

“The mainstream press is liberal….Since the civil rights and women’s movements, the culture wars and Watergate, the press corps at such institutions as the Washington Post, ABC-NBC-CBS News, the NYT, the Wall Street Journal, Time, Newsweek, the Los Angeles Times, the Boston Globe, etc. is composed in large part of ‘new’ or ‘creative’ class members of the liberal elite — well-educated men and women who tend to favor abortion rights, women’s rights, civil rights, and gay rights. In the main, they find such figures as Bill O’Reilly, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Pat Robertson, or Jerry Falwell beneath contempt….If reporters were the only ones allowed to vote, Walter Mondale, Michael Dukakis, Al Gore, and John Kerry would have won the White House by landslide margins.” — Longtime Washington Post political reporter Thomas Edsall in an October 8, 2009 essay for the Columbia Journalism Review, “Journalism Should Own Its Liberalism.”

“I’ll bet that most Post journalists voted for [Barack] Obama. I did. There are centrists at the Post as well. But the conservatives I know here feel so outnumbered that they don’t even want to be quoted by name in a memo.”
— Washington Post ombudsman Deborah Howell in her November 16, 2008 column.

Flora Duh on January 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Fox News Channel has Geraldo. It’s golden.

SlaveDog on January 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM

He’s the one besides Shepard Smith I can’t stand, turn the sound off when he’s on.. bad enough to be insulted by the other networks, but Geraldo burns like salt on a gunshot wound. He’s insulting to any opinion, but his own.

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Far too many times they’ve gotten the facts just plain wrong.

McDuck on January 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Yep.

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I don’t trust any of them very much at all, but that’s just me. They’ve all gotten the facts wrong on plenty of occasions, and none of them, IMHO, really try to be objective.

At the end of the day, I need confirmation from 3 or 4 different sources before I believe most of the stuff being reported.

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

No kidding. Did you see him the night the news of Obama killing bin-Laden with his own bare hands broke?

I thought Geraldo was going to have an orgasm on live TV.

Flora Duh on January 18, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Rational Thought on January 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Yes. This. ^^^

I hardly ever watch TV in the first place. I get all the news by having RSS feeds on my Google homepage — Hot Air/Gas is front and center, natch — but I also have Michelle Malkin, Andrew Breitbart’s BIGs, WSJ, and so on. My hubby will ask me if I heard the latest outrage from the Obama administration or the Dems, and I oh-so-casually reply that I read about it previously online, many times right here from this site. So you — Tina, Ed and Allah — can give yourselves a well-deserved pat on the back for doing a superb job of presenting the news — to me, you are infinitely more reliable and trustworthy than any news I’d watch on TV.

At work, I listen to a lot of Internet radio, some of which are public stations that air NPR news on the hour. Either I turn off the volume or switch stations, especially when Teh One is blathering away. Sometimes, I do listen, just to take note of what they present and how they do it. It can be fascinating to parse what they say — almost like trying to decipher ancient glyphs on a rock formation or explicating a poem. :)

PatriotGal2257 on January 18, 2012 at 8:26 PM

“The sample skewed conservative and Democrat, with a liberal/moderate/conservative breakdown of 28/27/44…”

How does that skew conservative?

Gallup gives an ideological breakdown of 21/35/40.

RightKlik on January 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Far too many times they’ve gotten the facts just plain wrong.

McDuck on January 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Yep.

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 8:16 PM

again,… at least one example please,.. just saying that is as pointedly useless as saying I hate you,.. without context, it’s like a childs taunt.

FOX’s critics say how much the hate it, how wrong they get everything, but never give an examplefor others to judge,.. a Paul voter will hate them, for faling to grovel at Paul’s small hobit like feet. That so many Paul fans say the same things make me think they were never conservative, but they came from the ultra liberal legalize my drug of choice camp… or the anarchist crowd.. but the rabid hostility to FOX calls into question wether many a Paulbot was ever conservative to begin with.

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Far too many times they’ve gotten the facts just plain wrong.

McDuck on January 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Yep.

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 8:16 PM

From my 8:06 PM post, mine is the challenge at the end:

Far too many times they’ve gotten the facts just plain wrong.

McDuck on January 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM

ManFromNowhere on January 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Key words bolded.

Get Busy!

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Far too many times they’ve gotten the facts just plain wrong.

McDuck on January 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Yep.

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 8:16 PM

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM

The “Obama attended a radical madrassa” story.

Whether you love Obama or hate him, there was no excuse for them to run that story before verifying its authenticity. They lifted a questionable story from a questionable source (some obscure right-wing blog) and put it on the air before confirming it. That’s what Dan Rather did, and it cost him his job, as it should have. And it’s obvious that Fox ran it because if reflected poorly on Obama. If it had been a story about Palin attending a radical church, they either would have ignored it or attacked the source of the story for pushing lies about Palin, and the average viewer wouldn’t have complained them doing that because it would have been the right thing to do. They knew better than to assume the story was true before confirming it. Most internet sources aren’t that reliable, hence the need for verification.

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM

ever see an on air retraction and apology from MSNBC?

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Sine no one watches, that will have to be one of lifes great mysteries.

BallisticBob on January 18, 2012 at 8:38 PM

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM

They can’t, because they can’t prove it unless they only cite the Leftist Media Matters.

On the other hand, it’s public knowledge, reported by many credible sources (and Settled Science, for you Algore disciples) that in the past, CNN has:

1. Falsely accused the US of nerve gassing civilians in Southeast Asia;

2. Covered up Saddam Hussein’s atrocities against his own citizens in Iraq for an entire decade, solely to keep their Baghdad Bureau open (which was admitted by their own CEO in a New York Times op-ed)

3. Had said CEO having to resign in disgrace after falsely accusing US troops of murdering Iraqi Journalists;

4. Showed without apology in prime time (Anderson Cooper) video footage provided to them by the enemy that showed the Iraqi sniper’s-eye viewfinder angle just before the trigger was pulled on another US soldier.

If any of you folks can provide examples of Faux News doing anything coming close to those instances of journalistic propaganda, please do so.

Good Luck.

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 8:42 PM

The only reason Fox News gets the high numbers here is that they have a monopoly on news one millimeter to the right of center. Add together all the other numbers for the lefty media, and it comes to roughly equal the Fox News numbers.

This is good for Fox News, but not for the conservative movement, because it shows how dependent we are on Fox News. All Fox News needs to deliver is that one millimeter to the right, and we’re there, because we got nothin’ else.

I’d much rather see a spread of news choices on the right, from where Fox News is now, to a channel that is the right equivalent of MSNBC, and everything between.

slickwillie2001 on January 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Politically polarized TV news is nothing new, it has long been very biased to the left. The only thing new is that since their somewhat recent beginning FOX News Channel has been fair to Conservative and Republican views rather than all left, all the time.

RJL on January 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM

We want credible, multi-sourced cites. When you do a Google search on the keywords “Obama attended a radical madrassa”, the first two results come from…

1. Snopes, run out of a Leftist home in California by 2 Clinton Fluffers

2. Media Matters

By the way, Democrat Hillary Clinton also ran with that radical madrassa meme in 2008, and Faux News was not the only news outlet to report it, so they can’t be singled out for criticism.

By the way, O’bama admits himself in one of his ghost-written books that he did attend a madrassa in Indonesia. He never used the word “radical”, but he did admit that he “made faces” during Koranic classes. It’s in his book.

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM

slickwillie2001 on January 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Unfortunately, they would be “occupied” until they were out of business.

Ditkaca on January 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM

flawed poll is flawed

flawed summary is flawed, and misleading, bordering on lies

Did this meet their expectations? Trying to single out Fox News some more. Amazing that this even gets in the news itself. What’s missing? How about whether or not those news stations are trustworthy, as in honest and factual. It’s mostly opinion now, with some facts sprinkled in. Does a poll like this matter? The breakdown is funny in of itself.

It’s like asking a senior citizen how trustworthy was that telemarketer that just cost them their life savings.

John Kettlewell on January 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM

1. Snopes, run out of a Leftist home in California by 2 Clinton Fluffers

2. Media Matters

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Well, considering that Fox ran a retraction after the story was debunked, I’ll cite Fox itself as a source.

And you’re right; it wasn’t just Fox, but that doesn’t excuse Fox. They had a journalistic obligation to confirm the story first. They didn’t. They then had an opportunity to go back and verify it after they ran it. They didn’t even do that.

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

redridinghood on January 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM

litebeam1 on January 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM

slickwillie2001 on January 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Not True.

January 16:

5-6 PM:

Fox 357 Share

MSNBC 150

CNN 126

HLN (CNN Headline News) 45

That is as close to “roughly equal” as it comes. Once you get to 6 PM and beyond, FNC blows the rest of them out of the water, and for the entire 24 hours in that day, FNC ended up with 477, MSNBC 105, CNN 128, and HLN 77

And that is just for the 25-54 year old demographic. When they factored in all viewers, FNC had more than twice the overall viewers of those other 3 combined.

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I find it funny that you guys get your talking points from blonde bimbos.
Fascinating.

BedBug on January 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Can you provide credible and multi-sourced links to Fox News retracting this? I just did a Google search and found nothing to support your claim that they “ran a retraction”.

And other than that, how many other credible examples from Faux News do you have? An allegation that a Presidential Candidate attended some Islamic school in Indonesia as as a kid (which O’bama admitted in his autobiography) absolutely pales in comparison to the CNN examples I cite earlier in this thread.

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I find it funny that you guys get your talking points from blonde bimbos.
Fascinating.

BedBug on January 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM

That’s quite a sexist statement.

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Thank you for doing the legwork on that.. I had heard that accusation from Media Matters(not), and that it originally was raised by Hillary.. which brings to mind,..

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM

So it came from one of Obama’s own books about himself, so do you still maintain it’s false, or that other news agencies didn’t pick it up? Still maintain FOX is the worst offender?

Snopes has never been fair or accurate to conservatives, they like the meme of evil crazy rightwingers too much. If you qoute media matters, there is nothing else to say, a Soros funded smear machine..

What else have you got? Dolemonte pretty well discredited that charge,.. if Obama himself admitted it in his book.

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Faux News. They tell you what you want to hear. In small, easy to repeat, words.

BedBug on January 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM

BedBug on January 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM</blockquote

That would be Media Matters or PMSNBC there BB.

Johnny Alamo on January 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I find it funny that you guys get your talking points from blonde bimbos.

Fascinating.

BedBug on January 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I count at least 30 Blonde Bimbo anchors on MSNBC

And I count at least 40 Blonde Bimbo news anchors at CNN

Just curious: isn’t stereotyping Blondes as “bimbos” misogynist?

F-

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

BedBug on January 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Not even a nice try.

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM

If I knew there was going to be a test on this, I would have commited them to memory instead of just noting them at the time.

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Del: It is good that you ask for proof. However, ‘less biased than the other media networks’ does not mean that it is ‘not biased’. As such, I think your implicit argument that Fox News is fair because it is not as biased as CNN has no basis.

slickwillie: You are exactly right, and conservatism will go nowhere until we stop allowing comparatives to equal objective value. We are settling for whatever is ‘most conservative’ without asking the fundamental question as to whether what we are settling for is conservative or not. You have expressed this in the domain of media, but it is even more true in politics.

For me, if you settle for ‘good enough’, you can not complain if what you get isn’t ‘good’.

Scott H on January 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Don’t forget MSNBC has that he-man Rachael Madcow.

Johnny Alamo on January 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

The truth is the Enemy to Leftists.

Need another shovel?

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Multiple sources? Just myself. I used to be an avid Fox viewer. Saw the statement on air after the story was debunked. I’m sure other people remember it as well. It’s up to you to believe it or not.

Other examples of Fox getting it wrong? Well, there was Shirley Sherrod. ALL the networks, including Fox, got that one wrong. They all threw Breitbart under the bus, but that was just laziness on their part. He had the entire video up from the very beginning. They simply didn’t take the time to watch the whole thing before reporting the story. That wasn’t Breitbart’s fault.

I also remember hearing multiple Fox folks repeating the claim that half the country doesn’t pay any taxes at all. That’s factually inaccurate. They were talking about income taxes, but that misstatement was rarely corrected unless they had a liberal guest on the air at the time.

And I never compared them to CNN, so I’m not sure why you’re bringing that up. As I stated before, I’ve come to distrust pretty much all news networks. There are only a handful of individuals in the business who I find reasonably trustworthy anymore. I have no desire to argue that Fox is any better or worse than CNN. I don’t trust either of them.

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

It’s kind of funny how bent out of shape they’re getting and how defensive they are of…..a television station.

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

BedBug on January 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Not even a nice try.

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

See. What. I. Mean.

BedBug on January 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

The same could be said about you and your tin foil god, Ron Paul. Yeah, I’ve seen you go four pages defending that sad little freak.

BedBug on January 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

The truth is the Enemy to Leftists.

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Perhaps, but the truth sure does ruffle the feathers of a lot of so-called conservatives, too. Take the log out of your eye.

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Dante: While I tend to agree with them, I do find it a bit ironic that they are doing so…. on a conservative blog devoted to news.

When I say I tend to agree with them, I mean that if I had to watch one of the major news networks, I would choose Fox. I do not think that day will ever come, though.

Scott H on January 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Why are you lying about what I’ve stated? At no point did I call out Fox as the “worst offender.” He asked for an example of when Fox got it wrong on something. I provided one. I didn’t say Fox was the only one that got it wrong, nor did I call them the worst offender.

And Obama never admitted to attending a radical madrassa in his book, a point that Dolemonte himself acknowledged. There is obviously a major difference between a radical madrassa (terrorist breeding ground) and a plain old madrassa (Muslim school). That distinction is extraordinarily important, especially in the context of a post-9/11 presidential election. Anyone who has followed this issue closely is keenly aware of this.

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

but didn’t you also say,..

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I really don’t remember any retraction either, but I do remember a fire storm of leftist media screaming islamophobia like crazy the minute it came out.. Hell, you could not use his middle name in any news report in 08 without being savagely attacked for it. I can easily believe a situation where they felt the story was accurate, but just got tired of the sh*t and let it go to mute the savage demagougory of the left.

You still can’t use his middle name in some cases without being criticised for drumming up hatred for muslims.

I’d give FOX a pass when CNN got awa with this…

Leaving a second network under a cloud may mark the end of his TV career. Arnett was the on-air reporter of the 1998 CNN report that accused American forces of using sarin nerve gas on a Laotian village in 1970 to kill U.S. defectors. Two CNN employees were sacked and Arnett was reprimanded over the report, which the station later retracted. Arnett left the network when his contract was not renewed.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,82656,00.html#ixzz1jrr4TaW7

But CNN is considered credible?

and this wasn’t their first or last scandal, like their pimping Saddam’s press releases as news reports, so they wouldn’t loose access to him.

If this is the best you can do about FOX,… sorry, I’ll keep watching them, and let CNN stay in the ether.

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Scott H on January 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I never ever said Fox News was “unbiased”, all I did was ask for concrete evidence of what they have gotten “wrong”, after several posters here claimed that they had been “wrong” many times and on a regular basis.

And then I cited some irrefutable examples of CNN’s Journalistic Malpractice over the years, and simply challenged those posters to provide comparable examples of FNC doing the same.

So far, I’ve received one “example” (the O’bama Muslim School story), and even that was inconclusive. The poster who claimed that said that FNC issued a “retraction” without providing any evidence that they did.

And I am sure you will agree that getting a story wrong about what school O’bama attended 40 years ago absolutely pales in comparison to the examples of what CNN did. In all of those cases, CNN falsely “reported” stories solely designed to denigrate America.

BTW, it’s also important to remember that the FNC claim about O’bama’s school was confined to an early morning breakfast show; CNN’s transgressions were all in prime time, except for the case of their CEO having to resign after falsely accusing US troops of murdering Iraqi journalists.

He (Eason Jordan) made that claim in a Leftist Forum in Davos Switzerland, and CNN never reported it on air; it took bloggers to do that. One of those bloggers even reported that Democrat Barney Frank was in the audience and immediately questioned the CNN CEO’s claim.

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Still waiting for credible multi sourced cites. So far it’s all personal anecdotes based on personal memories, which do have a bias.

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

What “truth” are you referring to here? This should be hilarious!

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

OK. Wait, what?

44% conservative and 41% democrat? That doesn’t pass the laugh test

Anybody really believe that PPP would oversample conservatives? Me neither

And the ridiculous 41/24/35 D/I/R ratio. Yeah, that’s credible too. Six points for Democrats? Really?

AZfederalist on January 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Fox is presently unlistenable. They have one mission–selling Mitt Romneycare to the lemmings. Every show is the Romney show. I’ve switched to watching ABC news, a lefty outfit which, despite that, is far less obnoxious than Faux News.

Faux News is down in the gutter with MSLSD. Turn them off.

james23 on January 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

By the way, a few years back some blogger assembled a list of “The Top 10 Journalistic Scandals of the 2000s”.

Some of them including #1 were from newspapers-#1 was the Leftist NY Times Jayson Blair scandal, and another was Jack Kelly’s fabrications at the Leftist USA Today. #7 also involved the NY Times’ fake Page 1 story about John McCain having an affair with a lobbyist.

The “best” example the dude could come up with for Faux News? It ranked #10 on his list, and pales in comparison to most of the others:

10. Carl Cameron, Fox News and John Kerry

Weeks before the 2004 election, Fox News political reporter Carl Cameron wrote an article on the network’s website claiming that Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry did manicures. In an on-air report, Cameron claimed that Kerry had received a “pre-debate manicure.” Fox News reprimanded Cameron and retracted the story, claiming it had been a lame attempt at humor. Liberal critics charged that the gaffes were evidence of the network’s conservative bias.

LOL. That was the “best” they could do. And it is Chump Threads Change compared to the other 9 the guy cited.

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I don’t quite understand it. If I were picking on Fox exclusively, I could understand the objections. But like I said, I’m not a fan of the news media in general.

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Excuse me?

After your pointed attack on FOX and only FOX giving the others barely a mention, that was the impression you created.. If you gave that impression, stating that was what I thought your position to be, is hardly a lie. And I didn’t qoute you,..“worst offender.”I just stated what I thought you meant.

If you maintain that you don’t find them the worst offender, fair enough..

So why the overt hostility?

I never called you any names, questioned your integrity, just your position. I was careful to not be overly harsh, as I frankly don’t know enough about most people here to say anything about where they stand. I go by what you post, and to say you dislike FOX is an understatement.

Still calling me a liar?

Because if you are, we’re done here. Honor is important to me, I used to think it meant something here, till I was called every kind of stupid by every Paul reject out there. Till I saw vets attacked by them, Honor is important.. again I don’t know anything about you other than what you post,.. if you didn’t find FOX any worse, it would have helped to be clear about that up front. All news agencies make mistakes, to single one out does send the message I got from your poss.

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

1. Once again, I never said anything about Fox being worse than CNN. I never even compared the two. I didn’t challenge any of the assertions you’ve made about CNN’s past behaviors, nor do I have any interest in doing so. Like I said several times already, I don’t trust the news media in general. That goes for CNN and Fox alike.

2. I’ve never been one to go along with the logic that “my guy gets a free pass because the other guy did something worse.” I understand why that argument is used, but that’s just not how I look at things.

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Fox just did a hatchet job on Andrew Sullivan and won’t even have him on to defend himself. You don’t have to like Sullivan to know that that’s just not fair.

chumpThreads on January 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

In my first post on this thread, I stated that I don’t trust any of them. Again, at no point did I even suggest that Fox was the worst. I didn’t even imply that they are the worst offender. I responded to a question asking for specific examples of times when Fox got it wrong. If the question had been about MSNBC or CNN, I could have easily given examples from those networks as well. You made the assumption that I considered Fox to be the worst offender. I apologize for saying you lied, but I’m not sure how else I’m supposed to take it when someone says I’ve claimed something that I have not claimed.

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM

It’s one thing for Fox News to provide a right-leaning perspective as an alternative to the rest of the left-leaning news outlets, but I will never forgive them for actually choosing and promoting one particular candidate before the public even gets to vote. It is disgusting. I’ve lost all respect. I stopped watching their prime time shows after the last election. They are no different than Chris with a thrill up his leg.

Connie on January 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM

till I was called every kind of stupid

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I’m working on a theory for why that happened.

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM

chumpThreads on January 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Let’s shed a tear for you Andrew. ∂

tom daschle concerned on January 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Well Hell Dante, that’s nuthin compared to your kamikaze like adulation for the one true Paul,… You almost get the impression you’d walk straight into traffic on a busy interstate if Paul whispered that suggestion in your ear. So we consider the source..

Defensive?……….

Well let’s see, you have ABC CNN CBS NBC MSNBC, you have NPR Public TV. The combined newspapers of every major city, the entertaimnet networks combined, even on FOX, the entire movie industry, and almost every single school of higher learning under the control of rabid leftwingers..

We have FOX, and am radio, and even that is too much for leftwing snark merchants.

Before FOX, there was nothing to even mention our views, let alone give them equal time. Maybe you trolls love a one party state,.. but the rest would like to have our views out there in the arena of ideas.

We’re tired of being libeled, slandered, demonized and dehumanized by an ardent left Hell bent on establishing the democrats in a one party state as the party in power.

Defensive?…. we prefer realistic.

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I’m conservative to the core, and I don’t trust Fox News one bit. They have been in Romney’s pocket all along, and have been doing everything to derail Perry’s candidacy from its beginning.

I now watch CNN, because yes, CNN is more fair and balanced than Fox News is now.

IcedTea on January 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM

humili mente on January 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I missed that, so I suppose a mutual apology is in order.I’m sorry I misread your intent. I still think your example is inconclusive, but if that’s your actual position, I respect that, not sure I could say that I distrust all of them,. but you wouldn’t be the first to state that position.

Truce?

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Yes, my theory is coming along nicely.

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

till I was called every kind of stupid

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I’m working on a theory for why that happened.

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Maybe because you and a couple of others are junivile choads with Beavis level social skills..

that help?

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Dante on January 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM

My working theory, is you not only have no Honor, you can’t even grasp why you should.

The one true thing about Paul, he’ll never amount to more than he is now, because his supporters like you alienate absolutely everyone you talk to. Obnoxious doesn’t begin to cover the contempt and condescension shown by you and the others. Way to win friends Dante.. I bet you were a very very lonely kid growing up with that kind of personality.

I kinda fell sorry for you now..

mark81150 on January 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM

It’s not really surprising. To be honest, it’s kind of hard to say with a straight face that Fox is balanced when you have a show like The Five on at five o’clock, in which four Republicans sit around beating up on poor, drunk Bob Beckel.

I don’t feel the need to be coddled. I can handle watching a serious debate, not a circlejerk.

Cordell on January 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM