Poll: Perry now third — in Texas

posted at 6:42 pm on January 17, 2012 by Allahpundit

His favorable rating is still nice and healthy at 60/32 whereas Romney’s is a mere 44/44. And yet he trails Mitt by six overall and by a point even when they’re matched up head to head. In Texas. Where Perry led four months ago by 39 points.

He lost his appeal to get on the ballot in Virginia today, but come Saturday that shouldn’t be a concern for him anymore. Bigger disappointment: The Perry campaign or the Packers?

What might be most shocking on this poll is that Romney edges Perry 46-45 if Republican voters had to pick just between the two of them. When we asked that identical question four months ago Perry led Romney 72-18. There’s been a 55 point shift in Romney’s direction…

Beyond being bad news for Perry these numbers show the extent to which Republicans are starting to unify around Romney. He’s consistently fared pretty poorly in our Texas polling but he’s gained 14 points of support over the last four months to take this modest lead. If he’s ahead in Texas he’s probably ahead just about everywhere.

The killer:

I’m amazed at how unforgiving voters have been of him. Go look at his national polling over the course of the campaign; the last time he cracked 20 percent in any survey was nearly four months ago, in late September. With just three exceptions, he hasn’t cracked so much as 10 percent since his “oops” moment in early November. He’s been better at the debates since then and has campaigned doggedly in Iowa and South Carolina, and yet … nothing. No second look, not even a minor surge. Rasmussen’s last national poll, taken earlier this month, had him even with Jon Huntsman of all people. My only explanation for why his numbers have languished even as everyone else has gotten a bounce is that the hype from his splashy entry into the race ended up killing him. He was touted as a conservative savior who’d spare us from having to nominate Romney and when he performed badly the “emperor has no clothes” perception took hold. He’s never shaken it; sometimes it feels to me like voters are actually trying to punish him for disappointing them. (Seriously, New Hampshire: Not even one percent for the governor of Texas?) Either that or the “oops” moment convinced a huge number of voters that Perry’s simply not bright enough to be president. That’s a bad rap given how he’s held his own since then, but it is what it is. Once you’re pigeonholed, I guess, there’s no getting out of it.

He got some attention on the trail in SC this afternoon by noting not once but twice in passing that Santorum is Catholic. I don’t want to believe that Perry would stoop to doing that deliberately, but follow the link and decide for yourself. As for what he said last night about Turkey being led by Islamic terrorists (or, more accurately, occasional enablers of Islamic terrorism), I’m not sure why you’d want to free them up to go full-metal Islamist by chasing them out of NATO instead of maintaining ties and trying to pull them back towards the west. They’ll have more influence over whatever emerges in the Middle East after the Arab Spring than we will, especially in Syria. What do we get in return for throwing that away under the Perry plan? Or was this just a little empty “tough on terror” posturing he was doing without regard for how it might play with Turkey?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m amazed at how unforgiving voters have been of him.

Almost heartless, eh?

beatcanvas on January 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Perry should mend fences with our Turkish alklies by sending them a DVD of his debate performances!

ConcealedKerry on January 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Yikes. He should have just quit after Iowa.

Roymunson on January 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Not surprised in the slightest, since Romney is a Bush Republican.

Aizen on January 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM

He’ll cut 3 departments…uhh…errr…”Ooops”.

Sorry, but that moment killed any chance he had. Fair or not, it is what it is. He’ll make a good afternoon speaker, say, Tuesday, at the convention, though!

SouthernGent on January 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Once you’re pigeonholed, I guess, there’s no getting out of it.

You said a mouthful there..:)

Dire Straits on January 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Bigger disappointment: The Perry campaign or the Packers?

Packers. You don’t usually expect them to lose.

whatcat on January 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Perry was right on Turkey:

I’ve previous charted Turkey’s path from ally to adversary. But here are a couple factoids which Perry might know, but many journalists and analysts may not:

• Prime Minister Erdoğan endorsed an Al Qaeda financier.

• Turkey also helped supply Al Qaeda in Iraq.

• Erdoğan had repeatedly embraced Hamas and acted to supply it.

• Under Erdoğan’s watch, the murder rate of women in Turkey has increased 1,400 percent.

• Under Turkey’s Islamist government, press freedom has plummeted.

I for one am not in agreement with Bachmann that we need to appease bad actors.

NbyNW on January 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

SouthernGent on January 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Morning maybe about 10:00?

ConcealedKerry on January 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Wow. Looks like those Texans are sheeple too. God forbid they should want a candidate that can actually win the general.

BettyRuth on January 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Bigger disappointment: The Perry campaign or the Packers?

The Packers, followed by the Badgers (both football and basketball), the NBA for returning, and then Mr. Fifth Place in…fifth.

Steve Eggleston on January 17, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I’m amazed at how unforgiving voters have been of him.

This.

John the Libertarian on January 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM

This can’t be good.

Hey ‘Twerp, what’s goin’ on down there?

listens2glenn on January 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM

First impressions are everything.

luckedout26 on January 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

BettyRuth on January 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

They do but your perfumed boy won’t be it.

Schadenfreude on January 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Rick, look, your a good guy and a good enough Governor, just, well I don’t think the country is ready to nominate a less articulate version of George Bush.
Go back to Texas, enjoy your two retirements and write a book about those who encouraged you to run and why you think they did so!
Thanks!

ConcealedKerry on January 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I’m amazed at how unforgiving voters have been of him.

I finally forgave him and then he went “vulture capitalist” and blew it again.

JPeterman on January 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

By the way, Perry has officially qualified for the CNN debates Thursday, for those who were accusing CNN of ignoring their own rules. He’s at 7% average or higher in at least three national polls since Jan 1. His national RCP average is at 7% now, also.

NbyNW on January 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

No disrespect to GW Bush, but America has kind of overdosed on rural Texas charm, and it’s going to be awhile before it’s charming once again.

RBMN on January 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I’m amazed at how unforgiving voters have been of him.

And yet, they forgive a snake like Romney.

Aizen on January 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

This can’t be good.

Hey ‘Twerp, what’s goin’ on down there?

listens2glenn on January 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Lubbock is Ronulan central.They’re everywhere-like roaches.
WE have a Perry sticker. It’s the only one I’ve seen.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Steve Eggleston on January 17, 2012 at 6:49 PM

lolz..That was mean man..:)

Dire Straits on January 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM

What is his campaign based on other than “I can say conservative things, mostly.” That and take credit for Texas having a pro-business culture?

pedestrian on January 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I finally forgave him and then he went “vulture capitalist” and blew it again.

JPeterman on January 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I agree..That vulture capitalist campaign was very disappointing..:)

Dire Straits on January 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Allahpundit needs to get over his Perry crush. He was a disaster on the campaign, and though he is likeable precisely because he gaffes so regularly, he became known as the less intelligent George Bush (down to his desire to re-invade Iraq). You don’t elect the less intelligent Bush to president, especially after his second term led to a Democrat house and senate and Barak Obama.

cd98 on January 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I agree..That vulture capitalist campaign was very disappointing..:)

Dire Straits on January 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Same here.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 17, 2012 at 6:57 PM

And yet, they forgive a snake like Romney.

Aizen on January 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Silly snake analogy. But ignoring that, it’s not that people don’t forgive him for his gaffes, in fact, I think people like him because his gaffes make him human. The problem is, when they are considering who to elect as president, competency is so important. And when you gaffe as much as he has, people doubt your competency. That’s why he hasn’t gotten a second look. Even if his debates have gotten better, they really haven’t been that great except to say that he hasn’t repeated his oops moment.

cd98 on January 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I guess those debates really matter huh? Can anyone remember a sitting president ever debating? Heck I’m having a hard time remembering Obama debating but I guess the Teletubby beat the rest of the vaunted dems 4 years ago. That must hurt.

Here’s a little insight from Texas. We don’t consider Perry all that conservative. But compared to what’s left he is probably the most conservative of the bunch. We’re jaded though. He’s the third republican governor ever I believe. Bill Clements was 1st and he got coaught up in the SMU death penalty deal, G. Bush for about a year and then Rick, the former dem.

We used to have conservative dems but they evaporated in the early 80s and Ann Richards burned it for them pretty good ever since.

Oh well, he got out there and tried and he shouldn’t be knocked for that. Reduced to national fodder for blogs, what a ride its been.

DanMan on January 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I can’t shake the impression I got of him in the first four debates, and that weird speech in New Hampshire. I know he has gotten better, but really, he should have brought his A game from the outset.

entropent on January 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I will always admire Rick Perry.

If we recall, correctly, he was asked and invited and urged to join the race. He did. He’s a good guy. Let’s not destroy a good man, m kay?

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Style over substance. That’s how we got into this mess in the first place, isn’t it?

ZGMF_Freedom on January 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM

ppp?????

And you guys are taking its report like a gospel truth?

what’s happening to this site?

HOTAIR = DKOS now?

TheAlamos on January 17, 2012 at 7:06 PM

He is surging. LoL.

SparkPlug on January 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I’m not surprised by Perry’s numbers here in Texas. I voted for him in the last gubernatorial election only to block Bill White, a pro-illegal alien (worse than Perry) supporter, who left Houston with a mountain of debt.

I’m not holding my nose this coming election, and obviously neither are most of my fellow Texans.

madmonkphotog on January 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Yep. A lot of what I read above is media driven descriptions of Perry and Bush. Bush looks real good as a president after the last three years if you ask me and Obama is a second coming of Wilson/FDR but look who still gets all the love. I’m surprised at how much sway the alphabets and dead tree offerings are holding still.

DanMan on January 17, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Obama sucks Period.

America will never again trust a marxist.

Deal with it trolls.

Roy Rogers on January 17, 2012 at 7:11 PM

nice_poltergeist on January 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM

f you koskid

DanMan on January 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Can anyone remember a sitting president ever debating?

DanMan on January 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Ronald Regan vs Walter Mondale 1984, which gave us this memorable moment in debate history.

Flora Duh on January 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Steve Eggleston on January 17, 2012 at 6:49 PM

People actually care about the NBA lock-out? Couldda fooled me and I live in a city with an NBA team.

bw222 on January 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM

noting not once but twice in passing that Santorum is Catholic. I don’t want to believe that Perry would stoop to doing that deliberately, but follow the link and this is the same POS Perry who began his campaign by playing the race card, so it would be wholly in character.

fify

kunegetikos on January 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Perry needs to drop out. He is splitting the vote and giving Mitt the win. What is it going to take for Perry to wake up and realize that he ran to satisfy his craving for attention and to sell books?

He displays a total lack of character by now dropping out NOW. The MittBots should be happy that Perry stays in the lime light to siphon votes from better candidates.

Go back to Texas, PLEASE.

SparkPlug on January 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Hot Air only look like dkos these days because the rats are abandoning a sinking ship and flocking here to spoil the hard tack.

There last – best – hope and all they got was Bush2 and Bigfoot.

Roy Rogers on January 17, 2012 at 7:15 PM

and just when I decided last night to give him a second look, mostly because he was so pathetic that I felt sorry for him, and also because he did not absolutely s-ck every second of his life, except for sounding like Cain when he was asked a foreign policy question.

fork. in. it.

kunegetikos on January 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Perry criticizes his namesake bird?

profitsbeard on January 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM

madmonkphotog on January 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM

no kidding madmonk. For the first time ever the Chronicle published the pension debt Bill White left the city of Houston. It is 277% of revenue for 2011 ($1.8 billion / $5 billion). They posted it Tuesday night at 11:32pm last week and it was off the e-site by noon the next day.

Here’s what they’re really protecting. Our current Lesbian Mermaid Mayor Parker was in the original council setting that installed the current pension plan 13 years ago. They were able to hide the pension deal throughout that governors race and only after her recent second inaugeration on Jan. 2 did they put it out.

DanMan on January 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I still have a favorable view of Texas. And I still have a very favorable view of Perry as the governor of Texas…..even though he let me down as a candidate for POTUS.

csdeven on January 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Flora Duh on January 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Yep. But I really meant as a president in his duties. Do presidents ever debate (except in campaigns)? We certainly know democrat senators don’t.

DanMan on January 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I will always admire Rick Perry.

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Thank you for this, KWR.

Just Sayin on January 17, 2012 at 7:23 PM

The poll is BS.

nuff said.

workingclass artist on January 17, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I’m amazed at how unforgiving voters have been of him.

Agreed. He remains my favorite candidate in the field, but I hold no illusions about his chances at this point.

Lawdawg86 on January 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Send the lil missus out to tell evvbody da baby jesus done tolded me that da pope is da day-ville and you done alls been going hey-all, you catholics. top it off right, ricky

kunegetikos on January 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I will always admire Rick Perry.

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Kudos!

workingclass artist on January 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Lawdawg86 on January 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Agreed..:)

Dire Straits on January 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM

lolz..That was mean man..:)

Dire Straits on January 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I am heartless.

Steve Eggleston on January 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

madmonkphotog on January 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Lemme guess…You voted for KBH in the primaries

workingclass artist on January 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Almost heartless, eh?

beatcanvas on January 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Exactly. Why do the writers of this blog not understand that when you call 80% of the base Heartless they will not forgive you for years. Especially when you never really consider their point.

These are Adults not children you start College at 18 years old.

These Adults break the law every single day they illegally remain in this country. Totally their fault.

Americans detest paying higher taxes so illegals can get freebies. I mean we are overtaxed already. But Perry adds insult to injury by taxing every student in State College another $564 per semester for these illegal freeloaders.

And Perry still claims all these benefits do not draw more illegals into this country. Sorry Perry we are NOT nearly that STUPID. We will never vote for you period.

Steveangell on January 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

If we recall, correctly, he was asked and invited and urged to join the race.
Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Invitations to run for POTUS were sent out?

whatcat on January 17, 2012 at 7:28 PM

He has failed on a national stage. It has nothing to do with being unforgiving, he just has failed. He’s weak on a number of issues and his attack on capitalism was the final straw. I’m glad for Texas that they have one helluva Guv. I’m glad for us we didn’t get stuck with a weak candidate.

LaughterJones on January 17, 2012 at 7:28 PM

NbyNW on January 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Nothing wrong with that…!

Seven Percent Solution on January 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Well, initially he did hit the ground running. With both feet in his mouth.

BDavis on January 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Steveangell on January 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Everybody in Texas pays taxes…Texas did it to stay out of court.

College in Mexico is free

workingclass artist on January 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I am heartless.

Steve Eggleston on January 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

..:)

Dire Straits on January 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Thank you for this, KWR.

Just Sayin on January 17, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I am sorry.

But good men do not call other good men heartless. Period.

Only a buffoon does such a thing.

So sad I really liked Perry until he showed the world that Mexicans were his primary allegiance not Americans.

I did some checking after that and found out that actually his primary allegiance was to his contributors who got rich with him as gov. Mexicans were second to that and perhaps just a political means of enriching his friends.

Steveangell on January 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Invitations to run for POTUS were sent out?

whatcat on January 17, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I didn’t get one!

JPeterman on January 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I’m just going to come right out and say it: Rick Perry is a clown who has NO business running for president.

The man is an incompetent buffoon! Voters across the country quickly realized what a moron he was, and they said HECK NO to a Rick Perry candidacy.

Perry appeals to the lowest common denominator and seems to be going after the dunderhead vote. Heck, even the dunderhead voting bloc seems to be wising up to the hapless buffoonery of the ill-prepared Rick Perry.

I’m not one bit surprised that even voters in TX prefer Romney to Perry. Competent, impressive Romney is clearly the best candidate to go up against Obama and win.

Rick Perry should focus his energy on get-out-the-vote efforts for Romney, who will make an excellent president. Perry is simply not cut out for the presidency.

bluegill on January 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM

LaughterJones on January 17, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Spot on but what

Steveangell on January 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

said prolly left the bigger mark since Perry has run at least a couple of times on dealing with illegals as a campaign issue. He caught many of us way off guard on the heartless deal even though many other states, including MA and UT do the same thing.

DanMan on January 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Especially when you never really consider their point.

Steveangell on January 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Or you his.

John the Libertarian on January 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM

csdeven on January 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM

No one believes this load of crap from you. You are happy he sucked cause you want ROMNEY. Everyone knows this. Sheesh.

SparkPlug on January 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Let’s not destroy a good man, m kay?

The race baiter has doubled down by going all “Know Nothing” on the Catholics. We are not the ones who are destroying his reputation; he did all by himself.

kunegetikos on January 17, 2012 at 7:37 PM

next time Rickster stop worrying about your swell head of hair and learn how to answer a question coherently in a debate you maroon.

Your Mamma loves me on January 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM

LaughterJones on January 17, 2012 at 7:28 PM

How true that is. Rick Perry has no one but himself to blame for his spectacular failure. Rick Perry’s campaign will go down as one of the greatest failures in the history of modern presidential politics.

bluegill on January 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

This really isn’t a surprise.

Even “way back” when Cain was in the running, he was polling better than Perry in Texas.

A lot of Texans assumed that Perry was a lot more conservative than he really was, and this campaign opened a lot of eyes.

Running for the nomination was the worst move Perry ever made.

Rebar on January 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM

One might think that most people here listened to the MSM .
I’m pretty sure you want to just say ……………
” Sounds like Bush ”
Or my favorite …………….
” He can’t get elected “

Lucano on January 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM

bluegill on January 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM

So says the paid Romney shill.

JPeterman on January 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM

The poll is BS.

nuff said.

workingclass artist on January 17, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Definitely isn’t like the Hotgas poll thats for sure.

Roymunson on January 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM

College in Mexico is free

workingclass artist on January 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Then they should go home all the more reason to. Which really makes me wonder why Perry gives them free college in Texas.

By the way a court did NOT require this.

“The application of Plyler v. Doe has been limited to K-12 schooling.”

Further Perry led the Nation in this effort.

Steveangell on January 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Perry may have experienced a come-back in S.C. if he had been able to present a positive path to economic recovery and belief in conservative principles once again leading to a prosperous America—but he chose to lash out, spearhead an ugly campaingn of slinging as much slime as possible at fellow Republicans. The airways have been filled with his vitriol; embarrassing. His lack of class is much worse than his “oops” moment. Go back to Texas Governor; it’s probably the only place big enough to accomadate your shame.

Oracleforhire on January 17, 2012 at 7:46 PM

DanMan on January 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I wonder then if his comments on that was to purchase votes at a higher scale (nationally). Or if that language was another oops moment.

LaughterJones on January 17, 2012 at 7:48 PM

So says the paid Romney shill.

JPeterman on January 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Listen, I think that Rick Perry has some skills and talents. None of those skills and talents apply to a run for president, but he can help out in other ways. Perry should do everything he can to help Romney as Romney unseats Obama. Remember how Romney pulled out of the 2008 race when he did, in order to give the Republican the best chance of winning? Perry must do the same and ought to devote himself to booting Obama!

Suck it up, Perry worshipers! Think of your country first, and remember the real objective: the get rid of Obama.

bluegill on January 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Okay, let’s call Perry out of the race. Would anyone put him as head of DHS? CommerceSecretary? Dept of Energy/interior?

Just curious.

herm2416 on January 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Oracleforhire on January 17, 2012 at 7:46 PM

And after a good start in last night’s debate, he dropped the ball on the housing crisis question and seemed kind of lost and rambling on the Turkey question. I liked him when he first got in, but I just don’t think he’s ready for the big dance.

predator on January 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Just curious.

herm2416 on January 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM

No, I think he lacks the necessary competence for any and all those positions. What Perry needs to do is devote himself to getting rid of Obama. He needs to campaign tirelessly and help with get-out-the-vote efforts for Romney.

bluegill on January 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Dept of Energy/interior?

Just curious.

herm2416 on January 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Maybe this one, but I’d prefer a certain lady from Alaska for that.

predator on January 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM

ConcealedKerry …. Genius that you are .
Any idea in your liberal head about what is going
on in Turkey these days ?
Thought not .

Lucano on January 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Governor Perry is a true patriot. He ran for president out of a sincere desire to help this country. Look how many people refused to run because they knew the trouble it would bring into their lives. He knew it too but he was willing to make the sacrifice and it is all the more remarkable because he already has a job he is happy and content with. I do not for one second believe he had anything but unselfish motives for what he has done.

There is not a finer individual than Rick Perry running for president in this primary, and in fact some are far more flawed that he is. None of them can match the achievements of his life.

I think people here who are slamming him ought to be ashamed of themselves. He is far from being perfect and he has made mistakes along the way, but he deserves gratitude from his fellow Americans not ridicule. I just pray that he doesn’t suffer lasting harm because of what he tried to do for our country.

As for this nonsense that any candidate should get out of the race before they are ready, I believe every single candidate has made a contribution. The Bible says, “Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.” Prov. 27;17

Win or lose, Perry has shaped the course of the campaign in many ways just as each of the others has. Whoever the nominee ends up being they ought to have gained immensely from this competition with their fellow candidates.

cheetah2 on January 17, 2012 at 7:58 PM

And still I would vote for Perry before all the others.

Perry/West 2012!

Dr Evil on January 17, 2012 at 8:04 PM

He’ll make a good afternoon speaker, say, Tuesday, at the convention, though!

SouthernGent on January 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Newt, on the other hand , will be giving his convention speech to the janitorial crew working at 2:30 in the morning.

galtani on January 17, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Just curious.

herm2416 on January 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM

bluegill on January 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Governor of the largest state for over ten years.
DHS–obviously understands border issues.
Commerce–largest job growth in the country.
Energy-speaks for itself.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion, and your shilling for the weathervane.

herm2416 on January 17, 2012 at 8:08 PM

No one I know in my area of Texas is talking up Romney. I know one Santorum backer personally, maybe two for Newt. Sadly, I live in a college town so you can be sure there are Ron Paul signs here and there.

Dewhurst is like Romney, a rino with big money to back him. Texans, vote for Ted Cruz.

jazzuscounty on January 17, 2012 at 8:18 PM

If voters pick style over substance again….

People get the government they deserve, Thomas Jefferson.

Dr Evil on January 17, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I am still voting for Perry — if they even allow Texas to have a primary, that is. Why should Iowa and New Hamshire get to choose our candidate?

bitsy on January 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM

The Perry campaign had worse problems than his “oops” moment. Remember, his support of in-state tuition for illegals (and worse, his “heartless” comment to justify it) started his decline. That was more than a mere gaffe, that was a serious philosophical difference with the Republican base. Then there was the sleepy attempt to attack Romney as a flip-flopper, the absolute easiest attack he could make, that he mangled. Then the bizarrely giddy stump speech in New Hampshire. His failure to even make the ballot in Virginia. The nationally derided “Strong” ad, which must have seemed desperate even to socially conservative Iowa Republicans. All of that topped off with his OWS-esque “vulture capitalism” remarks.

His poor showing in early debates is also weighted more heavily because he enjoyed frontrunner status. Now that he’s relegated to the sidelines of the debates, with all the pressure seemingly off him, why should voters trust that he is genuinely improving? More importantly, why should voters reconsider his debating skill when his remaining opponents have all turned in consistent performances again and again? Perry suffered a historically catastrophic flameout after commanding an early lead without even trying. It’s going to take more than a few check-plus performances at the debates to make up for that.

RightOFLeft on January 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM

If you consider what’s happened with some of the other candidates over the course of almost a year, Perry’s situation makes sense. There was a moment early on when Cain said something totally out there on foreign policy. He was dismissed as a serious candidate. Months passed. People forgot–and were desperate to latch on to somebody new. He surged in the polls. Same with Gingrich (only it was a Paul Ryan comment and his Pelosi AGW stance). Santorum was a laughable contender at one point. Then people forgot there was absolutely nothing electable about him (not for the presidency, anyway). At a desperate moment–the Gingrich fade, which happened to coincide with the Iowa caucus–people jumped on the Santorum bandwagon.

So I would be willing to bet (if I were the betting kind) that given enough time, Rick Perry would also rise again in the polls.

The trouble is, the early primaries and the looming threat of Mitt Romney are forcing people into a frenzy of nutso decision-making.
And now the faint of heart are wringing their hands and accepting defeat before even a quarter of the delegates have been won.

But given the dramatic ups and downs of this chaotic election cycle, polls are only good at revealing trends over short periods of time, and the scary (or hopeful–depending on how you look at it :) ) truth is that tomorrow–or next week–or next year–is almost entirely unpredictable.

butterflies and puppies on January 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM

NbyNW on January 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

As I’ve read elsewhere on Hot Air: Time for Buddy Roemer to give CNN a piece of his mind…

The Nerve on January 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Rick Santorum is a good man, he is a good father, he’s a good Catholic, but he hasn’t always been a good conservative.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 17, 2012 at 8:27 PM

To be fair, weren’t there polls showing him losing to Kay Hutchinson?

SouthernGent on January 17, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Dr Evil ,
You got it …. style over substance .
Makes me sick

Lucano on January 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Dr Evil ,
You got it …. style over substance .
Makes me sick

Lucano on January 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Yep. And the question in the general will be: who has more style, Obama or Romney? Yikes. I am not optimistic.

bitsy on January 17, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Hey, I’ve got it! How bout letting Perry stand there looking cowboy with Newt crouched behind him talking, and Perry could just move his lips.

And when Newt got ready to invite Pelosi to the sofa, Santorum could put a sock in Newt’s yapper and take over. They could stand three-deep at appearances and pool money and votes.

I think that might pose a threat to Mitt.

kunegetikos on January 17, 2012 at 8:40 PM