Poll: Perry now third — in Texas

posted at 6:42 pm on January 17, 2012 by Allahpundit

His favorable rating is still nice and healthy at 60/32 whereas Romney’s is a mere 44/44. And yet he trails Mitt by six overall and by a point even when they’re matched up head to head. In Texas. Where Perry led four months ago by 39 points.

He lost his appeal to get on the ballot in Virginia today, but come Saturday that shouldn’t be a concern for him anymore. Bigger disappointment: The Perry campaign or the Packers?

What might be most shocking on this poll is that Romney edges Perry 46-45 if Republican voters had to pick just between the two of them. When we asked that identical question four months ago Perry led Romney 72-18. There’s been a 55 point shift in Romney’s direction…

Beyond being bad news for Perry these numbers show the extent to which Republicans are starting to unify around Romney. He’s consistently fared pretty poorly in our Texas polling but he’s gained 14 points of support over the last four months to take this modest lead. If he’s ahead in Texas he’s probably ahead just about everywhere.

The killer:

I’m amazed at how unforgiving voters have been of him. Go look at his national polling over the course of the campaign; the last time he cracked 20 percent in any survey was nearly four months ago, in late September. With just three exceptions, he hasn’t cracked so much as 10 percent since his “oops” moment in early November. He’s been better at the debates since then and has campaigned doggedly in Iowa and South Carolina, and yet … nothing. No second look, not even a minor surge. Rasmussen’s last national poll, taken earlier this month, had him even with Jon Huntsman of all people. My only explanation for why his numbers have languished even as everyone else has gotten a bounce is that the hype from his splashy entry into the race ended up killing him. He was touted as a conservative savior who’d spare us from having to nominate Romney and when he performed badly the “emperor has no clothes” perception took hold. He’s never shaken it; sometimes it feels to me like voters are actually trying to punish him for disappointing them. (Seriously, New Hampshire: Not even one percent for the governor of Texas?) Either that or the “oops” moment convinced a huge number of voters that Perry’s simply not bright enough to be president. That’s a bad rap given how he’s held his own since then, but it is what it is. Once you’re pigeonholed, I guess, there’s no getting out of it.

He got some attention on the trail in SC this afternoon by noting not once but twice in passing that Santorum is Catholic. I don’t want to believe that Perry would stoop to doing that deliberately, but follow the link and decide for yourself. As for what he said last night about Turkey being led by Islamic terrorists (or, more accurately, occasional enablers of Islamic terrorism), I’m not sure why you’d want to free them up to go full-metal Islamist by chasing them out of NATO instead of maintaining ties and trying to pull them back towards the west. They’ll have more influence over whatever emerges in the Middle East after the Arab Spring than we will, especially in Syria. What do we get in return for throwing that away under the Perry plan? Or was this just a little empty “tough on terror” posturing he was doing without regard for how it might play with Turkey?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

cheetah2 on January 17, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I live in Texas. I like Perry. I’m a Perry supporter-but let’s not deify him please.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 17, 2012 at 8:50 PM

It’s not a style thing. If Perry had said “pardon me” in his best John Cleese accent instead of blurting out “oops” — no diff.

Speaking of which, it sounds like Perry today had in mind something like this.

kunegetikos on January 17, 2012 at 8:52 PM

csdeven on January 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Biggest fraud at Hot Air, bar none.

bw222 on January 17, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Dr Evil ,
You got it …. style over substance .
Makes me sick

Lucano on January 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Yep. And the question in the general will be: who has more style, Obama or Romney? Yikes. I am not optimistic.

bitsy on January 17, 2012 at 8:37 PM

It’s going to come down to Optics, and Obama’s team is all about Optics. Perception trumps Reality.

I suspect Obama to run as the class warfare hero, and Romney is the evil capitalist dragon, he will have to slay to save the American people from income inequality.

Dr Evil on January 17, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Agreed. He remains my favorite candidate in the field, but I hold no illusions about his chances at this point.

Lawdawg86 on January 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Yep. I will never be ashamed that I supported him either flaws and all.

Good man, human man.

gophergirl on January 17, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Then they should go home all the more reason to. Which really makes me wonder why Perry gives them free college in Texas.

By the way a court did NOT require this.

“The application of Plyler v. Doe has been limited to K-12 schooling.”

Further Perry led the Nation in this effort.

Steveangell on January 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM

They do NOT get free tuition.

They pay full tuition for in-state students. I thought people here were better informed. We’ve been over this here countless times.

Lies like this are one reason his candidacy tanked. People all over the country think he supports amnesty and gave illegals free tuition. MiitPac put out ads to that effect, plus liars on the internet have spread those stories.

juliesa on January 17, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Wow, mega format fail. First section should be a quote. “they do not get free tuition” should be bold.

juliesa on January 17, 2012 at 9:07 PM

To be fair, weren’t there polls showing him losing to Kay Hutchinson?

SouthernGent on January 17, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Yes, she was say ahead of him at the start of the campaigning, more than 10 points ahead. Then he destroyed her when the vote was held. Bill White was polling pretty well against him too, but Perry beat him solidly.

juliesa on January 17, 2012 at 9:14 PM

HOTAIR = DKOS now?

TheAlamos on January 17, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Does seem as if the Repubs have taken on the tone of the left too.

I am not sure if this is because of the Blogs stoking the fires for hits (and thus conflicts) or just a symptom of our culture’s downward spiral.

Also, I suspect a lot of moles have been planted to cause division. This may be wishful thinking. Because, otherwise I would have to admit that we have become what we once loathed.

tonotisto on January 17, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Wait a minute. Where am I, HuffPo? Daily Kos? Reddit? Reading most of the posts here, it would appear that the intellectual depth approximates that of a Miami mud puddle.

Regurgitating the anti-Perry media sound bites designed to target those with short attention and lack of gumption to research primary sources for facts on the governor’s record reveals far more about the posters than the candidate under discussion.

DuraMater on January 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Of course he would! And he meant it, too. When there are no infidels, apostates, or homosexuals in sight, religious types go after heretics with an unrivaled hatred they reserve for just such an occasion. If it weren’t for the big, scary Mormons in the race, the big, scary Catholics would have been in the crosshairs sooner.

hicsuget on January 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I don’t care what any poll says about Rick Perry, he is the only one I will be able to cast my vote for who I think would do the right thing for this country. No way do I trust any of the other candidates. The way this man has been treated is a shame and
disgrace, sometimes I feel like I am reading a very liberal blog, in fact their remarks aren’t as harsh as the so called republicans.
Hope you all enjoy four more years of Obama.

Tn.-Vol on January 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM

“I don’t care what any poll says about Rick Perry,…….. ”
I’m with you, TN-Vol.

DuraMater on January 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Wow. Looks like those Texans are sheeple too. God forbid they should want a candidate that can actually win the general.

Yeah, that’s why a lot of us have been on the Romney train for a while. I mean, if Perry can’t get good ol’ grassroots “God and guns” honest to Jesus conservatives in Iowa and New Hampshire and South Carolina……who can he get?

As a GOP Texan, I’m pretty much embarrassed with Perry’s failed effort. He could not have made himself appear more imbecilic and unprepared if he’d tried short of a Richard Pryor “None of the Above” style campaign.

I am ready for him to be gone as Governor in Texas. Period. I don’t want to foist him upon America at large to get to that point. I just want him gone.

JoeinTX on January 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Well, shoot.

Maybe Ol’ Rick could trot on back to Texas, location of the 6th Most Dangerous City in America, a city which is a major narcotics hub (Forbes magazine), and run for President of the Texas Gay Rodeo in Forth Worth, March 2-4, 2012, advertised as a “Texas Tradition.”

Or maybe he could just rename his cowboy boots – “Doo” and “Fuss.”

Horace on January 17, 2012 at 11:54 PM

When the other candidates made a mistake, Fox News and Hannity and Limbaugh defended them and in the case of Herman Cain, they became his defense attorneys. But NO ONE has ever come to the defense of Perry. Yes, a candidate should stand on his own two feet and win, but this cycle the other candidates got vigorously defended — EXCEPT for Perry. On Fox, Perry has been ignored for months — I’m talking about their anchors when they name all the candidates, they ALWAYS leave Perry’s name out and have for months. And when they do deign to mention him, it’s always an attack.

Greta has a conflict of interest because her lawyer husband said that he would “destroy” Perry for Tort Reform. Hannity has a conflict of interest because his radio show in on the Clear Channel and guess who owns it? Bain. Guess who’s a stockhlder? Mitt.

The Establishment defends Mitt and his stalking horses (Cain, Bachmann) and so-called, self-appointed “Christian leaders” decided that they WANT Big Government and gave a helping hand to Santorum.

Perry is fighting a headwind and has been given no HELP. I wouldn’t complain and would say that candidates ought not to need help, except that the other candidates have gotten help.

I pray SC is so smart that they can see through FNC’s BS. We used to be spoon-fed crap from CNN and we revolted. But now, FNC spoon-feeds crap, too.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I learned yesterday that Hannity’s and Limbaugh’s radio shows are down 30%! In a Republican primary year, their ratings should be up, not DOWN!

I’ve been boycotting FNC for MONTHS now and I will never go back. I get more honest coverage from CNN (!). I will forever loathe: Rove, Krauthammer, Hannity, Morris, Luntz the Putz, etc. Fox is dead to me. They are the Establishment RNC. They pick winners and losers in who they choose to defend and who they choose to let twist in the wind and/or attack.

Aslans Girl on January 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I think it was the inarticulate at communications thing that did him in. That and people like Hannity and Levin having some weird grudge against Southerners. They did the same thing to Huckabee. Perry was held to a way different standard than others in the race. Perry was the only real federalist in the race. Levin pretends to be a federalist but he’s not; same with Hannity and the others. I thought they were bad in 2008. They were far worse this time. They spent 2 weeks defending that lecherous moron Cain but couldn’t spend 5 minutes defending Perry on anything. They cut every candidate slack but Perry. Screw them and all the Perry haters here.

Malachi45 on January 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Aslans Girl on January 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Amen. Same here. I would add Levin to that as well, and Rusty Humphries. I am starting to thin there is an anti white southerner thing going on with them.

And, yeah, evangelicals in Iowa screwed us all.

Malachi45 on January 18, 2012 at 1:15 AM

The states rights wing of the Republican Party has been kicked to the curb. The Party is now firmly in the hands of Big Government Nationalist Republicans.

Malachi45 on January 18, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Well, shoot.

Or maybe he could just rename his cowboy boots – “Doo” and “Fuss.”

Horace on January 17, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Yet every time I point out that all you do is call Perry dumb and mock Southerenrs, you pretend like you have no idea of what I speak. You are the single biggest ass on this site and anti Southern bigot to boot.

Malachi45 on January 18, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Malachi45 on January 18, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I agree.

IMO, it’s time for third-party if Mittster or another Big Government lover gets the nom. I’m willing to vote for Trump if he runs. The Tea Party and Federalism is definitely getting shivved this year. We were good enough for the RNC in ’10 when we delivered the House to them, but we aren’t good enough for them in ’12, now we’re just the peasants to the Establishment. We were used.

Aslans Girl on January 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Aslans Girl on January 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Of what I’ve heard from Trump, he will run if someone like Romney gets the nomination. He kept saying if the wrong person got the nom, he’d run, and kept saying that after Cain got out. Trump has said great things about Perry quite a bit and gave somewhat of a few clues in wanting Perry.

Seriously, I’ve had it up to here with so called Republicans who are settling with Romney. This isn’t 2008 where we had to settle and lose. WE DO have a few conservative candidates and one who is also a constitutionalist. If we want to fix this country, we’ll need Perry to help do it.

Ronaldusmax on January 18, 2012 at 3:42 AM

By the way a court did NOT require this.

“The application of Plyler v. Doe has been limited to K-12 schooling.”

Further Perry led the Nation in this effort.

Steveangell on January 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM

1.They do not get free tuition..that is another lie from the Romney camp.

2. In Texas education is paid by property taxes & the sales taxes (Texas has no income tax.)

3. The legal reasoning was that since Texas lost K-12 case because of the taxpayer issue we would lose the next case which was for the college costs.

4. In Texas everybody pays taxes so Texans decided on this compromise since we can’t deport. It saved Texas money.

5. The law will be under review in the next session.

6. Liberals legislated to allow illegals to own property in both the Carter administration and the Clinton administration.

workingclass artist on January 18, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Malachi45 on January 18, 2012 at 1:20 AM

The rino faction of the GOP is afraid of Perry so they are doing everything they can to drive him out of the race before Texas…they are even willing to tolerate Newt.

If Perry was the only conservative facing Romney his candidacy would build momentum as he’s steadily improved in the debates and on the trail.

He has the best plans and the best record to beat both Romney who is a weak candidate and Obama.

workingclass artist on January 18, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Aslans Girl on January 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Aw, the common refrain often heard from the small handful of remaining Perry worshipers: “Whine, whine, whine. Make excuses, excuses, excuses. Establishment is to blame. Establishment is to blame. Blah, Blah, Blah.”

Hey, people. Listen up. Rick Perry did HIMSELF in. Rick Perry couldn’t cut the mustard. As soon as people
heard Rick Perry, they likely thought to themselves, “that guy sounds and looks like a dumb Texan.” He is embarrassing Texans, who are great people. Texans deserve better than that bozo. THAT is why Rick Perry plummeted to rock bottom in the polls and stayed there. I don’t feel all that bad for Perry, though, considering his shamefully weak response to his prominent supporter calling Romney a “cult” member, his “Strong” ad which unnecessarily antagonized military service members (it was a DUMB way for Perry to talk about DADT), his “vulture” capitalism line-of-attack straight out of the left-wing playbook… and now more recently his religion-baiting by apparently gratuitously bringing up Santorum’s Catholicism.

I have to say that Perry’s supporters have likewise engaged in sleazy, disgusting smears against the other candidates.

It is with no sadness that I say… GOOD RIDDANCE, RICK PERRY.

Aslans Girl on January 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM

That just says it all right there. Get over yourselves, people. Your favorite candidate bombed. He lost. Don’t be such poor sport babies. You people show that you aren’t serious at all about getting rid of Obama. It’s shameful how you threaten to try to throw the election. I don’t see any point in pleading with people like this to support the Republican in the race. They are statistically insignificant. Let them pout by themselves in the corner.

Ronaldusmax on January 18, 2012 at 3:42 AM

If that’s what you heard, then you need to get your hearing checked. Trump said he likes Romney. Oh, and Trump isn’t running. It’s all a PR stunt. You guys can’t honestly think Trump should be taken seriously. Then again, some of you guys thought Rick Perry could actually beat Obama, so I guess anything’s possible.

bluegill on January 18, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Ronaldusmax on January 18, 2012 at 3:42 AM

This is a status quo election. Factions are aligning to prop up Obamalite.

Newt who is running as a conservative against Romney cannot beat Obama because of his record of erratic management before his resignation as speaker and his lobbying history after leaving office.

Crying on the trail with Frank the Putz doesn’t help.

Neither Romney or Newt can beat Obama.

workingclass artist on January 18, 2012 at 7:42 AM

He is embarrassing Texans, who are great people. Texans deserve better than that bozo. THAT is why Rick Perry plummeted to rock bottom in the polls and stayed there. bluegill on January 18, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Y’know what I’m a Texan and you’re full of it.

Perry rocked that Last Debate

That’s why they released that BS PPP poll.

They (Clearchannel/Fox Media) did the same thing after he rocked another debate to pump up Cain while he was going through the politico scandal and blamed Perry.

workingclass artist on January 18, 2012 at 7:48 AM

[by Mike Flynn, Editor, BigGovernment]

Gov. Perry and Gingrich had the best night, overall. But, a good debate performance is already baked into the cake for Newt, so it isn’t clear how much of a bump he gets. Perry has steadily improved in the debates, with tonight’s performance being his best, but it may be too little too late. Sad, as I still think he has the record and the temperament to warrant a second look. GOP voters seem stubbornly fixated on never giving him that.

(Source: BigGovernment.com “Mike Flynn, Editor, BigGovernment”)

workingclass artist on January 18, 2012 at 7:51 AM

[by Mike Flynn, Editor, BigGovernment]

(Source: BigGovernment.com “Mike Flynn, Editor, BigGovernment”)

workingclass artist on January 18, 2012 at 7:51 AM

I don’t need to hear others’ opinions to know how the candidates did in the debates. I have my own eyes and ears for that.

Perry was a total non-factor for most of the debate. He seemed to be very antsy and overly eager to jump in. It seemed fake to me. He sounded stupid when he went after Romney on the tax returns, and during the rest of the time just came off like a childish clown who was trying to sound like a tough-talking leader, but ended up failing.

bluegill on January 18, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Malachi45 on January 18, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I agree.

Aslans Girl on January 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I understand how you feel, but when passions have cooled we should support the nominee. Obama cannot be allowed another term. Trump is no conservative. He is a spoiler and a vote for him will help re elect Obama. I know it sucks.

Malachi45 on January 18, 2012 at 9:12 AM

[by Mike Flynn, Editor, BigGovernment]

(Source: BigGovernment.com “Mike Flynn, Editor, BigGovernment”)

workingclass artist on January 18, 2012 at 7:51 AM

bluegill on January 18, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Your guy is almost certain to win now, barring some miracle. Maybe you could show a little class and stop ripping apart oher candidates who are down? Try being a gracious winner, jackass.

Malachi45 on January 18, 2012 at 9:15 AM

As a GOP Texan who voted for KBH, I’m pretty much embarrassed with Perry’s failed effort.

I am ready for him to be gone as Governor in Texas cause I’m still butt hurt he beat Hutchinson. Period. I don’t want to foist him upon America at large to get to that point. I just want him gone.

He is failed. Not because of the media or any hair-brained establishment scheme. He is gone because he is and always has been a middle-to-fair candidate with the “R” next to his name and I’m still butt hurt he beat the rino Hutchinson

JoeinTX on January 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM

fify

workingclass artist on January 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Malachi45 on January 18, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Why, to avoid hurting feelings? Whose feelings? No one has been nominated yet. Romney is still under attack from all sides. How dare you tell Romney supporters to shut their mouths. We are talking about the person who will be our presidential nominee. This is an important subject to me, and I will express my opinions on the subject as I see fit.

bluegill on January 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Malachi45 on January 18, 2012 at 9:15 AM

bluegill on January 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM

No, I said try being a person with class, not shut your mouth. Clearly, for you, if your mouth is open you are being a classless douche. So, keep up the good work. That’s just the way you roll.

Malachi45 on January 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Perry’s entire effort here has been an “oops” campaign…

Mcguyver on January 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM

When the other candidates made a mistake, Fox News and Hannity and Limbaugh defended them and in the case of Herman Cain, they became his defense attorneys. But NO ONE has ever come to the defense of Perry. Aslans Girl on January 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM

So true. It’s crazy. And when you compare the flaws that need to be defended, the whole thing becomes even more maddening. Newt got a free pass for saying essentially the same thing Perry did in defense of illegals–only Newt is much more amnesty-friendly (never mind the wacky community-boards-can-decide-who-stays idea) and hasn’t spent the last several years fighting to keep illegals from crossing the border. And we’re willing to overlook that the man who authored Romneycare still stands by what he’s done, but a few bad moments in early debates are unforgivable. Bizarre. And super frustrating.

When Obama beat Hillary for the nomination, I used to say (only half jokingly), “What kind of deal with the devil did that man have to make to beat a Clinton?” Given the totally chaotic and even destructive state of things in this race, I can’t help but wonder the opposite of Perry: Why has the opposition been so over the top?

butterflies and puppies on January 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM