NRCC hits Obama on Keystone with “Lean Backwards”

posted at 12:10 pm on January 17, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The NRCC tries its hand at satire today as a weapon against Barack Obama, and it works — if you watch MSNBC enough to know its promotions for the cable channel’s slogan, “Lean Forward.” This is a takeoff of a Rachel Maddow spot for big government, shot at the Hoover Dam, in which Maddow argues that big projects like the Hoover Dam can only go forward on a national scale. For obvious reasons, Maddow wouldn’t make that argument in front of the Big Dig in Boston and the California high-speed rail project, since big government produced big overruns on projects that won’t ever recover their costs in value … but I digress.

The NRCC uses this as a platform to point out that we have a big project on the drawing board now, ready to go, with bipartisan consensus to proceed and the potential to deliver energy resources to a thirsty US. It may take a nation to get these projects accomplished, but it only takes one man to obstruct it — and that man is Barack Obama:

For those who don’t watch MSNBC on a regular basis, here’s the spot the NRCC is spoofing:

I’d call that a direct hit.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This reminds me WHY I don’t watch MessNBC.
Was there EVER a day when Anderson Cooper was even HALF as manly as Madcow?

Didn’t think so.

HammerNH on January 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM

When did Kyle MacLachlan start working for MSNBC?

jukin3 on January 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Here’s what Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said recently in a TV interview about reviewing planned resource development.

westerncanadian on January 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM

By the time (if ever) 0 decides to let the Keystone pipeline through it will be a moot point. The Canadians will be selling the oil to the Chinese, and we will be SOL. But, hey, we still have Venezuela, right? Right!?

iurockhead on January 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

“It’s one thing in terms of whether Canadians, you know, want jobs, to what degree Canadians want environmental protection. These are all valid questions… But just because certain people in the United States would like to see Canada be one giant national park for the northern half of North America, I don’t think that’s part of what our review process is all about.” – Canadian Prime Minister Stephan Harper

Good for the Canadian Prime Minister. Too bad we can’t elect him president.

SC.Charlie on January 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Great concept, terrible execution. If I han’t seen the Maddow ad first I wouldn’t have gotten it. Terrible actress, too.

I could make a better ad with half my brain tied behind my back or my name isn’t Granny Jan and Jihad Kitty.

No Niks on January 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

If that’s the case, he’s counting on his supporters being really dumb.

Those “nose in the air” urbanites ain’t growin’ their own food.

cozmo on January 17, 2012 at 1:25 PM

No they don’t. But they also don’t put 2 and 2 together to realize high gas = expensive food. These are the same people who think electric cars (which run on electricity made by coal plants) don’t contribute to pollution.

angryed on January 17, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Why did they choose a woman to portray Maddow?

Pork-Chop on January 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Maddow’s ad actually reminds me somewhat of a brilliant clip from Milton Friedman’s Free to Choose, where Friedman tells the story of a pencil. Maddow is right that projects like this take more than one person. Her failure is considering only governmental bodies (town, state, country) as means of organizing labor. What she fails to recognize is that the voluntary cooperation of individuals in a free market is far superior to any central command.

Milton Friedman explains this better than anyone here.

netster007x on January 17, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Maddow is shovel ready for sure.

sdbatboy on January 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Its not a good imitation. She lacks Maddows unnaturally huge paws. She tries to swing her normal sized hands arround like Maddow, but the noise Maddows body-shovels make is missing, this noise you always hear in sci-fi movies when a giant asteroid flies by.

Valkyriepundit on January 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

She lacks Maddows unnaturally huge paws.
Valkyriepundit on January 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I noticed that as well. Maddow could palm a beach ball. Those hands are like a bunch of over ripe bananas.
Yikes. It just occurred to me where they’ve been.

V7_Sport on January 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM

No Niks on January 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

You make excellent videos. I always share them with those on my distribution list.

tom daschle concerned on January 17, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Bravo NRCC for doing this. There is a gold mine of this type of material out there for the NRCC to highlight the hypocrisy of the MSM, Dems and the Obama Admin.

However, I would recommend that they try to keep it to 30 seconds.

bubbafromkc on January 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM

She lacks Maddows unnaturally huge paws.
Valkyriepundit on January 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Yikes. It just occurred to me where they’ve been.

V7_Sport on January 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Yep, with hands like that, betcha Maddow’s hung like Mr. Ed.

Shaughnessy on January 17, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I think the President will say no to the Keystone pipeline. The environmental lobby, no matter how irrational its demands, is one of the blocs comprising his base that he absolutely must have to win, and they need to be mollified for the failure of cap-and-trade and other AGW-related initiatives. Besides, even with union jobs on the line, he knows he’ll always have the unions no matter what he does.

This

No way Jose he approves it
His environmental basis is crowing about their success now, and to reverse that would put them in a Bigger fury than not having approved it in the 1st place

I have pondered this a LOT (being Canadian, and a big investor in the oil sands)and Harper is Right; I think he knows the Zero(TM) will never approve it, and its a dead issue I’m afraid

Shame on the RNC for not making this a bigger issue; god, what goofs…

Take care