Gingrich’s closing argument in SC: How’d you like that “food stamps” bit at the debate, huh?

posted at 5:30 pm on January 17, 2012 by Allahpundit

He did well enough last night that I can understand him wanting to turn his biggest moment into an ad. What I don’t understand is how this supports the argument that “only Newt Gingrich can beat Obama.” Santorum would be plenty tough on The One in a general-election campaign and, unlike Newt, Santorum isn’t saddled with a toxic favorable rating. Meanwhile, it’s Romney who consistently polls best against Obama head to head and whose campaign machinery would give Team O its toughest test. The real promise Newt is making here, I think, is that as nominee he’ll hit Obama the hardest (not just a bloody nose but a knockout!) and in the least politically correct ways, which is gratifying if you loathe The One and the media but no guarantee of victory given Gingrich’s other shortcomings. Want a campaign where multiple news cycles are consumed with why the nominee thinks Obama has a “Kenyan anti-colonial” mindset even as we’re getting totally out-organized on the ground? Newt’s the guy most likely to make that happen.

By the way, how did we get to the point where a candidate whose popularity famously plummeted as Speaker is now selling himself on electability? Exit quotation from Santorum, replying to Newt’s nudges that he drop out: “It’s an enormous amount of hubris for someone who lost their first two races.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hang in there Newt…!!!Seven Percent Solution on January 17, 2012 at 6:35 PM

7%+1

MontanaMmmm on January 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Santorum isn’t saddled with a toxic favorable rating.

The only reason Santorum isn’t completely toxic now is that most people don’t know who he is. Newt is the most electable not-Romney, but not really electable.

thuja on January 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Here comes Brit Hume’s commercial for Romney.

Cindy Munford on January 17, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Cindy, I saw Brit on one of the Fox morning shows today, and I lost a lot of respect for him. What’s-her-name, on with Jon Scott, was talking with him about the candidates, and they were so obviously pushing Romney. But not only that, they were basically making catty remarks about Newt, which now makes them not much different from Morning Joe & others.

I’ve been reading on here about the Fox bias, but that was the first time I really noticed. Not so much of the”fair and balanced” that they promote.

silvernana on January 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Newt sets aside all modesty for a moment and savors himself.

borntoraisehogs on January 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM

When your good, flaunt it. Modesty is for cloistered people, not Presidential candidates.

timberline on January 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I half expected Santorum to say, “nananana, Mitt, got you!” when mitt flip-flopped about felons.

Aslans Girl on January 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

My sincerest apologies Pete.

DDay on January 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Newt does the best job of any politician I have ever know to make you love him and then turns right around and makes you hate him. LAst night at the debate, he sounded like a true statesman, and then today, with his cocky ads and smart-assed statements about electability, he turns into a waste… man… this guy is as bipolar as they come.

Walter L. Newton on January 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM

When dealing with sanctimonious pretenders like Romney and Santorum, overpowering them with the truth and some hutspah to boot is just what the doctor ordered. Ron Paul is a separate issue. He just sux.

timberline on January 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Newt’s performance in the debate shows why two weeks ago I still supported him as the best candidate actually in the race.

Newt’s actions in the week and a half before last night show why I am now uncommitted in the GOP nomination process, and will remain that way until Mittens a GOP candidate is chosen.

MidniteRambler on January 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

silvernana on January 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I’m finding the whole thing kinda of stunning to me…its probably healthy and a valuable compass in times to come, but there are so many people that, for some reason, in the past I’ve given a level of respect for their opinions and views, and are now dimmed and crumbling to one extent or other in my view….Hume..Fox..Steyn..Coulter..Beck..Krauthammer..etc.
It’s not that I suddenly disrespect their views..its that I don’t categorically trust them without doubting them a bit first.
This is probably a good thing.

Mimzey on January 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Well, I saw in another thread where they banned a pro-Newt person. I think it is time to give HotAir a few days to a few weeks of rest.

astonerii on January 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Newt Gingrich could run into a burning building and pull out 5 people who were certain to die in that blaze, and Hot Air would frame it. Newt fails to save 12 who die in a blaze where he went into a burning building with the intention of gaining large amounts of attention and pulled out 5 others, does this man not have a selfless bone in his body? What was newt thinking?

astonerii on January 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Heh…could not have said it better

northeastgirl on January 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I’m sensing a bit of a trend. I’ve been lurker for years and enjoyed it, now it just seems overwhelming. I’m quickly becoming one of the oh whatever, guess the fight is going out of me…So much bickering n such. I like good sarcasm but pile on time is getting old. Not like my vote would count anyway. (But I still will)

MontanaMmmm on January 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM

MidniteRambler on January 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

What did he say in last nights debate that turned you more skeptical about him??
I had the opposite reaction.
Just curious.

Mimzey on January 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Only Newt Gingrich is….

losing women 56% – 14% against Romney.

Newt doesn’t know what the word “unelectable” means if he thinks it applies to anyone other than himself. If he’s down by 42 pts w/ women to the robotic Romney watch The One lead him by 50 -

I’ve said it a hundred times and it’s still just as true – even if you set everything else aside, Newt’s negatives with women voters guarantee he’s a general election loser.

Guaranteed.

InVinoVeritas on January 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Newt’s negatives with women voters guarantee he’s a general election loser.

Guaranteed.

InVinoVeritas on January 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

They’re all going to vote for Obama anyway..or Rahmney..six of one….
semi/

Mimzey on January 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM

MontanaMmmm on January 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM

You might be interested in reading this piece by Robert Stacy McCain.

Is Fox News the Problem?

JPeterman on January 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I agree. Electability seems to be a lot of people’s number one requirement and it doesn’t really mean anything. There is no hard and fast rule on what that means to people.

Cindy Munford on January 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Well Newt’s not electable and not even conservative (unless he’s pandering for applause). To top it off, he’s not even a good human being and should be in jail by his own standards.

1punchWill on January 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM

MSM spin: Newt wants blacks to be janitors!

profitsbeard on January 17, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Is Fox News the Problem?

JPeterman on January 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM

As I’ve been saying for the past 2 months, yes. I wish Stacy had pointed it out sooner.

Connie on January 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

astonerii on January 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Ha, very good analogy.

IndeCon on January 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

You might be interested in reading this piece by Robert Stacy McCain.

Is Fox News the Problem?

JPeterman on January 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I gave up on Fox News except for the Baer Report after Ailes and Murdoch folded from liberal pressure last year and told the staff to tone down their rhetoric.

There’s a huge opportunity out there for a Right version of MSNBC. Zero competition. Not sure GBTV can do it.

slickwillie2001 on January 17, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Santorum voters should just vote for Romney directly and cut out the middleman.

Santorum, maybe you need to go back to being second-rate Fox News analyst before you realize that you’re giving Romney the nomination. Get out of the way, loser. You lost your Senate race by nearly 20 points, so I know you’re used to losing big, but you still have a chance to get out with some dignity for a good showing in Iowa. But, losing big in SC while Romney sews up the nomination will erase that achievement and remind everyone that your are just a big loser.

By the way, felon voting rights? Really? Reeeeeally? With all the issues that you contrast against Romney, you pick this? You’re head is not in the game, so get out of the way.

doorsxp on January 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM

silvernana on January 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Yes, because if people don’t like Newt the corrupt, arrogant, cheating self promoter they are on the Romney payroll for some reason.

Come off it man, Newt’s the weakest candidate in the field.

1punchWill on January 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM

So Newt confirms that the Juan Williams exchange was “a bit”.
Somehow, I knew that.
Too bad so many others were suckered.

fight like a girl on January 17, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I think Newt’s very electable. This same exact stuff was said about Reagan.

He even went along with GHW Bush to try and mend fences. (lot good THAT did the nation)

When people HEAR Newt, NOT what some pundits tell them they heard, they always go up a notch in their opinion.

THEN the naysayers back them into thinking he’s not electable.

ANY of them are electable with our backing against Obama. The question is…. WHO has the guts to actually make CHANGES!

{{fume}}

golfmann on January 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM

The msm does not like Newt because his is smarter than they and he is not intimidated by their ignorance.

they lie on January 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Come off it man, Newt’s the weakest candidate in the field.

1punchWill on January 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM

DITTO!

fight like a girl on January 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM

astonerii on January 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Test

mike_NC9 on January 17, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I had the opposite reaction.
Just curious.

Mimzey on January 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Nothing.

Last night’s debate was Gingrich at his best; that is why I held my nose over the Pelosi global warming ad, ethical violations in Congress, ties to Freddie Mac, and every other skeleton in Newt’s past. A couple weeks ago, I still considered Newt the best candidate in the race, if far from perfect.

Then Newt went on the warpath against Romney. That in itself was fine, but Newt used language that Soros would find familiar and comforting. That, on top of the baggage I mentioned, adds up to Newt at his worst.

As much as I liked seeing Newt stand up for his “food stamp president” comments, I know that later, or probably sooner, Newt will do something to shoot himself in the foot.

I’ve looked for a candidate I can support in the GOP for months now; I’m done looking. I’m just going to sit back and vote for Romney in the general election, because he can’t be worse than four more years of Soetoro.

MidniteRambler on January 17, 2012 at 8:06 PM

silvernana on January 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

A liberal friend of mine who knows I’m a staunch Republican type asked why I am so vehemently anti-Newt. I told him I disliked Gingrich so much as both a candidate and as a man because I remember him: I remember the Air Force One incident where President Clinton had Gingrich seated in the rear of the plane, across from the crew latrine–and Gingrich’s petulant, childish reaction to the snub. Gingrich did everything but cry with rage and throw his toys across the room. I remember Newt during the Clinton impeachment imbroglio, when Gingrich was calling for a higher moral bar for elected officials–and learned later this married paragon of public virtue was boffing every intern in sight–and that Gingrich had told one of his mistresses that he preferred oral sex because then he could state under oath that he didn’t have intercourse. I remember his tenure as Speaker, his abrasive manner, his vast hubris.

I’m told Gingrich has since found God via conversion to Catholicism. I’m told he’s a changed man, that his past doesn’t matter because of his personal transformation, and–by some Republicans–that his past doesn’t matter in any event. We’re trying to elect a President, not a Pope, or so I’m told.

I disagree. It’s true we don’t need a saint, but we do need a leader whom we can respect and trust. Old Newt was right: leadership should be held to a higher standard. And New Newt? Seems pretty much like the same egotistical, hypocritical blowhard to me.

troyriser_gopftw on January 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM

If Leroy is the nominee, I will suppress my gag reflex long enough to vote for him. I hope it won’t come to that, however, as the last few weeks have taught me to loathe him more than ever. It’s not his negative ads that bother me, it’s the hypocrisy that they reveal. He was the wise, positive, elder statesman, looking down upon the poor mortals and their negativity from his Olympian perch – until he lost Iowa. He then went outrageously and foolishly negative with the whole Bain/dog on the roof/Romney speaks French idiocy. Since that appears to have backfired, he now appears to be trying to position himself as Leroy the Positive again. Right.
His personal baggage (multiple wives, serial adulteries, passionate self-love) sets my teeth on edge as well. The sooner he and [wife number 3] fade into utter obscurity, the better.

captn2fat on January 17, 2012 at 8:40 PM

troyriser_gopftw on January 17, 2012 at 8:38

Yep.

captn2fat on January 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM

After Gingrich used Democratic talking points, my good will for him hit bottom. Not as low as my good will toward Obama, but not much higher.

unclesmrgol on January 17, 2012 at 10:42 PM

unclesmrgol on January 17, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Hardly the first time Newt’s batted for the other team, either. Recall his advocacy of cap-’n’-tax, individual mandates, federal “green” initiatives with no benefit except to environmental wackos and big government leftists.

Or more recently, the way he talked about conservatives in NY-23 who supported Hoffman. He trashed us like dogs, idiots, nuts – right up until his beloved Dede endorsed the Democrat. That shut him up for once.

He even stabbed Bush the Elder in the back, agreeing privately to the tax hike deal, then opposing it in public when he saw its unpopularity.

Gingrich supporters have very short memories.

Adjoran on January 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM

astonerii on January 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM

For all the complaining about Romney, the attacks on not-Romneys have been far more steady on this site. I don’t really understand the mentality. As soon as Newt started to surge in the polls, the attacks on him began and never let up. He’s made some bad gaffes in the campaign, but the universal pile-on started IMMEDIATELY when it became clear he was a serious contender. For every criticism of Romney made in posts and articles, I read five about Gingrich or whatever Not-Romney is surging.

Ace of Spades has the same problem. He’s finally started going after Romney, but has spent the last year ripping every single Not-Romney into tiny little pieces along with the rest of the conservative media. It’s great he’s finally going after Romney, but it’s basically too late to stop him now. Had we gone after Romney first, we might be in better shape with a Perry or even Huntsman as the presumed frontrunner.

Doomberg on January 18, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Britt and all the other talking heads appearing on FOX, either employed by it or as a contributor, are all giving their opinions. Most of us are thinking adults and are entitled to our own. They are trying to push us in Mitt’s direction and like SP said, we need to vet our guy very carefully to get the best candidate to go up against Zero.

Kissmygrits on January 18, 2012 at 9:24 AM

This is the 1980 election for both the republican primary and general. Obama is Jimmy Carter. Romney is the George H. W. Bush RINO. Gingrich is the most conservative candidate left… the Ronald Reagan if you would. The RINO was defeated in 80. Will we have the strength to go with the articulating conservative again?

Exile on January 18, 2012 at 10:24 AM