Gingrich to local business leaders: Let’s face it, Bain was “exploitive”

posted at 9:02 pm on January 17, 2012 by Allahpundit

I’m confused. On Sunday, Newt stopped off in Georgetown, S.C., a town that had suffered economically after a nearby steel plant in Gaffney acquired by Bain Capital went bankrupt, and said … nothing whatsoever about Bain. Seemed like he was ready to cut his losses on that subject and move on, an impression affirmed last night after the debate by one of his senior advisors in an interview with Robert Costa:

Beyond a bump in the polls, Walker also sees tonight’s debate as an opportunity for Gingrich to pivot away from Bain attacks. “We’ve suffered some backlash on those issues over the past week, but his answers on it tonight were right on target,” Walker says. In many respects, “he has moved on to other issues that we think are going to be key for South Carolina voters.”

Makes sense. He hit the Bain stuff hard to put it on voters’ radar screens and now he’s going to step away.

Or is he? New from Politico:

After being asked if he was attacking capitalism, Gingrich launched into a tirade:

“This is one of the bigger acts of baloney in modern times. Raising a question of judgment about a particular person in a particular company who has made that one of his two major claims for running for president is hardly an attack on capitalism,” Gingrich said. “The Bain model in some companies, you look at Georgetown Steel and you can look Gaffney as two examples, the Bain model is to go in a at very low price, borrow an immense amount of money, pay Bain a great deal of money and leave. Now, I’ll let you decide if that is really a good capitalism.

“I think it is exploitative. I think it’s not defensible. You’ll notice he doesn’t try to defend it. He hasn’t brought up a single one of these companies,” said Gingrich, although Romney did cite Staples and others in Monday’s debate…

“I’m proud of real capitalists. I’m proud of guys who say to their workers, ‘I’m in it with you. If I lose money and you lose a job, we lost together because we both tried.’ But I’m not particularly proud of people who go in, leverage the game, borrow the money, leave the debt behind and walk off with all the profits.”

Newt being Newt, we can only guess whether the campaign’s strategy on Bain changed at some point today and he’s just following the new blueprint or if he fully intended to keep ignoring this subject but couldn’t resist unloading on Romney again once he got a question about it. Maybe the post-debate internal polling showed him surging and he thinks this is one way to ride it? (Romney’s team seems to suddenly be taking him seriously again.) Or maybe there’s a simple difference of opinion among this advisors about whether attacking Bain is useful or counterproductive. Another Costa piece today at National Review has Newt’s spokesman saying this:

Indeed, to Hammond and others within the Gingrich camp, the candidate’s Bain-themed rhetoric is the keystone for their larger case. Hammond argues that there is a major gap “between what [Romney] says and reality,” and that to think Romney’s years at Bain will suddenly be an asset in November, after Democrats comb through the records, would be foolish. “It’s not Bain that’s the problem; it’s the narrative,” Hammond says. “[Romney] has a record, and he refuses to be accountable for it,” from his private-sector work to his gubernatorial decisions. “Romney has established his own conventional wisdom,” adds a senior Gingrich adviser. “Our job, in ads and on the stump, is to puncture it, and challenge his electability.”

Could be they’ve simply decided that the situation is desperate and that it’s kitchen-sink time. On Sunday, when Newt swung by Georgetown, S.C., the three most recent polls had him within two to seven points of Romney. Since then, after Huntsman announced he was dropping out yesterday morning, the three newest polls have Romney leading by 11 to 14 points. All of those were conducted before the debate, but not even a nice performance by Gingrich last night will eliminate a double-digit lead. Bain attacks could be his last chance. Can’t wait to see what he does with them on Thursday in his last big national soapbox before South Carolina votes. Exit quotation from Rasmussen: “Sixty-two percent (62%) of all GOP voters in the state view Romney’s business record as a reason to support him.”

Update: Here’s a fun little talking point for the general election if/when Romney becomes the nominee.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“This is one of the bigger acts of baloney in modern times.

Newt’s taking about his mirror again.

“I think it is exploitative. I think it’s not defensible.

Yes. The smartest man in the room taking $1.6 million from a failed business model is indefensible.

Same for this specious complaint about Romney.

rukiddingme on January 17, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Really????
From other posters here…she liked the Newt that was in SC.

Electrongod on January 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM

She didn’t precisely endorse him. She said that it’s important for the primaries to continue until all of the candidates are fully vetted so there will be no “October surprises.” She also said that for that reason, if she lived in SC, she would vote for Newt.

She didn’t say anything like “He’s the best in the field” or “I’m supporting him for President” or anything of the kind.

Some people may say that this is a distinction without a difference, but I don’t agree.

Just Sayin on January 17, 2012 at 9:48 PM

^^taking = talking

rukiddingme on January 17, 2012 at 9:49 PM

So was it an endorsement or not?

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Whoooooooooooo cares.

mattshu on January 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Mark Levin’s on Hannity pumping up Newt and he and Rush were bashing him for morphing into Ed Schultz early last week on Bain. Rush was having orgasms about Newt today, last week, gone.

None of these people are straight shooters.

AYNBLAND on January 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM

i think they are both straight shooters…it is just that conservatives are in a blue panic that the R party is falling apart and will a monster wave of help from the leftist press that barry is going to be sitting on 4 more years.

Remember, barry is a celeb. While most mortal pols make speeches in a convention center…he needs a stadium

the real problem is as walter russell meade always says…the blue social model doesn’t work

r keller on January 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM

That Mark Sanford guy should have won. Waffling Adulterers like Newt are getting double digits.

Mormontheman on January 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Palin did indeed say that she would vote for Newt. I don’t care if Newt took money from Fanny and Freddie, as long as he uses it to defeat the jerks who caused it.

NEWT IS STANDING UP FOR AVERAGE AMERICANS! GO NEWT!

lET’S SEE MITT DO THIS:

bloggless on January 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM

He’s just flip-flopping in a sea of hypocrisy and I’m embarrassed to admit I used to be pro-Newt.

Oracleforhire on January 17, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Mickey Mouse ’12! Cause we’re running out of choices!

gryphon202 on January 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM

golfmann on January 17, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Thanks golfmann, appreciate it. That’s not an endorsement.

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM

OK, it’s obvious at this point.

Trolls abound.

There is a smell of desperation from Valerie Jarrett’s WH. We’ve hit a nerve.

/Needle

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Michelle just had a blow up. She’s totally teed off. I can’t blame her. But she should learn to be a bit more.. shall we say… subtle.

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Key West Reader:Interesting,an excessive Gas MushRoom Cloud,
emenating from the WH area,haha!:)

Heres an update!
================================

ariasheWTOP tweeted:
********************

@BreakingNews @DCAbloob WTOP reporter on the scene, along with a police source tell me it was a “minor” situation, and no ongoing threat.

Story metadata:
Submitted 14 mins ago from twitter.com/ariasheWTOP by editor

canopfor on January 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Whoooooooooooo cares.

mattshu on January 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I care, whats your problem with that? You don’t like my interest mind your own da_n business. Do I even know you?

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I guess the “ANGRY LITTLE ATTACK MUFFIN” is back!!!!!!!!!!

Barred on January 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Mickey Mouse ’12! Cause we’re running out of choices!

gryphon202 on January 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Err, you do know that he’s going to Didney Whirl in Orlando. Right? This Thursday.

Lucky for me, I’ll be traveling to Naples.

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I guess the “ANGRY LITTLE ATTACK MUFFIN” is back!!!!!!!!!!

Barred on January 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Dishwater Whatsherface? The “Head” of the DNC?

She’s O-some!

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

You mad bro?

mattshu on January 17, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Newts Line in da Sand!?
========================

AlexNBCNews tweeted:
********************

Gingrich also says: “If I carry this state on Saturday, I will be the Republican nominee.”

#decision2012Story metadata:
Submitted 3 hours ago from twitter.com/AlexNBCNews by editor
————————————————————-

canopfor on January 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM

None of these people are straight shooters.

AYNBLAND on January 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM

No, they’re in the same boat we are, searching and hoping for someone to save the republic. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone back and forth on who could beat Obama, my only goal in life, and I know that’s where they are as well.

Given the candidates available and who could win, I must admit that it feels like a little six-year old whose mommy was late picking him up at school that day, wondering if she just forgot, wondering if she would ever come, wondering what he would do next …

TXUS on January 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM

canopfor on January 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

:oX

:o)

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Where you sincerely waiting with baited breath to see who you’d support based on the thoughts of what your mistress, SP said?

mattshu on January 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM

mattshu on January 17, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Not nearly as mad as you are an a$$hole.

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Dude needs some kind of keel under him to keep him from tipping in every direction based on what’s happening at that moment. A humble Newt is a good Newt. Unfortunately the only time that happens is when he’s being beaten in to the ground.

He reminds me of a certain cruise ship off the coast of Italy.

mattshu on January 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Dishwater Whatsherface? The “Head” of the DNC?

She’s O-some!

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Nope. NEWT.

Barred on January 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Not nearly as mad as you are an a$$hole.

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Ahhhbviously. ;)

mattshu on January 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I adore Newt. See why here.

bloggless on January 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM</blockquote

This is the Newt I want to see against Obama and the MSM.

redridinghood on January 17, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Gotta feel sorry for Newt’s campaign staff. That has to be a frustrating job trying to keep some message discipline.

slickwillie2001 on January 17, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I’ve said it before…I don’t think the white house ever planned on going romney with all this detail on bain. I think they were going to go with the flip-flopper/wants to cut taxes for the rich etc angle. All of these attacks from republicans are just icing on the cake.

peachaeo on January 17, 2012 at 9:16 PM

You haven’t been paying attention for the last 4 years, have you?

ebrown2 on January 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Your problem is that you don’t think capitalism can beat socialism in America.

Basilsbest on January 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM

That’s Romney’s lifelong problem as well.

ebrown2 on January 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Well crud.

I have to get up and go to work at 5am.

/I hope the 99% people continue to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Rumor has it that they sleep in, use EBT cards, crap on cop cars, disrupt and dismantle businesses and they smell. But that’s okay. I’ll pay for their hot and fresh McDonald’s breakfast sandwiches and coffee with their EBT cards..

I work for the 99% Gag.

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I’m confused.

So is Newt.

Romney did not bring up these companies; the moderators did, in the last debate. Romney not only did cite Staples and his successes at Bain; he also addressed Georgetown and other failures, directly and honestly. Gingrich is just upset that Romney didn’t start crying, begging forgiveness, and flogging himself onstage.

Can anyone tell me what the hell that means? Real capitalists? You mean like Henry Ford, J. P. Morgan, Andrew Carnegie, Thomas Edison, Cornelius Vanderbuilt, and the other titans who built the American industrial colossus? They were monsters (the public be damned!), at least to the hysterical left; at best, they were ruthless men obsessed with money, power, wealth and status; and made Mitt Romney look like Mr. Rodgers. The “historian” Gingrich should pick up a tome about the early “patent wars” in the film industry, or Edison’s “War of Currents” against Nikola Tesla before spouting that embarrassing pandering pablum.

Mr. Arkadin on January 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM

slickwillie2001 on January 17, 2012 at 10:01 PM

That, and Lil’ Moron’s excellent Greek Island Adventure caused his -first- staff to quit.

ebrown2 on January 17, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Newt thinks he’s going to be the nominee – ROFL!!

1punchWill on January 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Newt made lots of money, was he a good capitalist to be proud of? When he took a million five from FREDDIE MAC and lied about his actual role there was that good? Newt has supported causes for money and peddled his influence, is that good capitalism? I can’t wait until he announces he is leaving the race. The stench of his idiocy is killing me.

echosyst on January 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Someone threw what appeared to be a smoke bomb over the White House fence Tuesday night, according to the Secret Service.

/Apparent-Smoke-Bomb-Tossed-Over-White-House-Fence-137536273.html

canopfor on January 17, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I’ll bet it was Newt…He just can’t help himself!!

Mimzey on January 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Mr. Arkadin on January 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Careful, you’re showing your skin.

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Oh for crying out loud Newt, get a grip.

JPeterman on January 17, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Mickey Mouse ’12! Cause we’re running out of choices!

gryphon202 on January 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM

For me it’s gonna either be Slappy the Squirrel or Pinky /Brain.
Cartoons can’t be worse then what we’ve got now.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 17, 2012 at 10:09 PM

The left shows us who they fear.

I applaud Hot Air for opening registration and for enduring the challenges that it posed.

The left fears Newt.

Good to know.

Carry on.

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Mr. Arkadin on January 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM

“The ‘Historian’ Gingrich” knows all that stuff, I’m sure. It’s Newt “The Politician” Gingrich that’s speaking now.

gryphon202 on January 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Totally OT question – is it the CBS/WSJ or the NBC/WSJ poll.

I know I should know this but I don’t.

gophergirl on January 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Newt is well on the way to reminding everyone why he resigned in disgrace as Speaker of the House…He is an undisciplined rhetorical bomb thrower…Hope he made enough money hanging around DC over the last thirty years. He’s burning what bridges he has left with the Republican party. He won’t be getting any future job offers. If he were elected President in some parallel universe, within six months he would have both parties so pissed off that nothing would get done. He is unfit for executive leadership which is why he has never been an executive…

Nozzle on January 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Why? Soros and Buffett were much more successful investors. Why don’t we nominate one of them instead if such a “business record” is so important? And if not, we have to look as his record of governance … and, oh yeah, that looks just like Obama’s. Romney supporters baffle me.

besser tot als rot on January 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Romney supporters baffle me.

besser tot als rot on January 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Me too. But the Romney detractors who are using leftist OWS-style talking points in raking him through the coals baffle me as well.

gryphon202 on January 17, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Nozzle on January 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Let’s hope that Romney doesn’t remind everyone why they didn’t want to vote for him if/when he implements his statist, “technocrat” policies.

besser tot als rot on January 17, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Mr. Arkadin on January 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM

One of Newt’s profitable sidelines is historical counter-factuals. As for Romney, I have no interest in playing Guy Van Stratton for him. Let him find his own justifications. That scorpion can sting himself to death.

ebrown2 on January 17, 2012 at 10:20 PM

If Newt does not win -
he’s going to do the historical thing again with Fannie and Freddie?

KOOLAID2 on January 17, 2012 at 10:22 PM

gryphon202 on January 17, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Yeah. I don’t like it – not that I think that Bain should be used as the poster child for why capitalism is awesome – but I think they are taking their cue from Romney (and Alexandar I) – scorched earth.

besser tot als rot on January 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM

canopfor on January 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM
:oX

:o)

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Key West Reader:Lol:)

canopfor on January 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM

besser tot als rot on January 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I also believe that the “he started it” bullshit should have been left on the elementary school playground. But YMMV.

gryphon202 on January 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM

It’s worth noting that there are different models of capitalism and that all are not created equal. Participation in one particular model or another does not exclude public scrutiny or challenge.

dieudonne on January 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Only an academic or a progressive would use “exploit” as a pejorative.

esnap on January 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Why? Soros and Buffett were much more successful investors. besser tot als rot on January 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Learn the difference between a venture capitalist and an investor dealing in money markets.

1punchWill on January 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Sarah Palin urges South Carolina voters to support Newt Gingrich in primary
*************

– @NBCNewsStory metadata:
Submitted 54 secs ago from firstread.msnbc.msn.com by editor

canopfor on January 17, 2012 at 10:26 PM

wait everybody is getting their panties in a twist because Palin endorsed the Establishment fat boy? why would that matter give her a week she’ll quit that endorsement like she’s quit everything else.

Your Mamma loves me on January 17, 2012 at 10:27 PM

1punchWill on January 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Which one are you claiming is the venture capitalist?

besser tot als rot on January 17, 2012 at 10:31 PM

1punchWill on January 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Which one are you claiming is the venture capitalist?

besser tot als rot on January 17, 2012 at 10:31 PM

1punchWill – Why don’t you go back to the drawing board; learn what different terms mean; and then try your retort again – maybe next time you won’t look like a fool.

besser tot als rot on January 17, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Newt is a joke.

netster007x on January 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM

The left shows us who they fear.

Can you be any more cliched and boring?

I guess the left really feared Michele Bachmann, because she’s gone.

And they must have been scared to death of Herman Cain. He’s out.

The left must be shivering in their boots over Rick Perry. He’s polling at, what, 2-3%?

Rick Santorum has flamed out after his big surge in Iowa. Obviously, the left sabotaged his campaign because Barack Obama is horrified at the thought of running against a pro-life statist who lost his last election by 17 points.

And Newt Gingrich? Of course, the Obamites are cowering in the corner at the prospect of running against his sterling personal and political record.

It’s all a plot. The left has almost got Romney in place. It was a tough job, but they did it.

Mr. Arkadin on January 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM

gryphon202 on January 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Whatever – unfair attacks on Romney are out of bounds, but he’s free to do it at will?

besser tot als rot on January 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM

ebrown2 on January 17, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I don’t care where we stand politically; you, sir, are a man after my own heart. Huge Orson fan here!

In Newt’s case, perhaps F FOR FAKE is an apt cinematic analogy?

Mr. Arkadin on January 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM

rukiddingme on January 17, 2012 at 9:47 PM

All capitalists are equal, but some capitalists are more equal than others. Makes perfect sense.

alwaysfiredup on January 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM

besser tot als rot on January 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Fair or unfair, I don’t recall ever hearing an attack from Romney that didn’t involve some sort of policy beef. I don’t think Romney’s work with Bain Capital even clears the bar of being a policy beef, but whatevs. I’m going to have a lot of fun deciding who to write in between now and my state’s late primary.

gryphon202 on January 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM

“[Romney] has a record, and he refuses to be accountable for it,”

This nails it. If Newt builds on this narrative he could well beat him. If not. . .

Well. . .

Obama will kill Romney off with it. (Politically for you lefties)

Steveangell on January 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM

canopfor on January 17, 2012 at 9:40 PM
I’ll bet it was Newt…He just can’t help himself!!

Mimzey on January 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Mimzey:Lol,ya Newty is probably trying to set up Mittens!!

canopfor on January 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM

gryphon202 on January 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Look – I don’t like the attacks on Romney’s association with Bain; but I don’t see how they are different from a “policy” standpoint from attacks on Gingrich’s association with Freddie and Fannie.

besser tot als rot on January 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

besser tot als rot on January 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM

How is the attack unfair in total. Does it tell the entire truth hardly. But show me a political ad that does. They all exaggerate to the max.

Romney has not defended his actions at any of these companies. Why not. Newt is right.

But Romney is very guilty of attacking Newt for doing such when he did no such thing. If America is catching on to this fact Romney is toast.

Steveangell on January 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

besser tot als rot on January 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Let me lay it out for you then: Freddie and Fannie are quasi-governmental organizations that operate under charter with the authority of the United States Congress. Bain Capital is not. Thusly, I too question Newt Gingrich’s so-called “conservative credentials” on the basis of his work at Freddie/Fannie, along with his apparent willingness to play fast-and-loose with the facts concerning exactly what he did there.

Romney has a record, yes. But he has a record in government — actual government — that is ripe for crticism absolutely irrespective of his work for Bain Capital. Why Newt would be using leftist talking points to attack Romney personally is something I have a hard time wrapping my head around. It wreaks of desperation, childishness, and mercenary concerns that I don’t think should be present in a presidential contender anymore than I believe Mitt’s undeniable leftist policy tendancies should.

gryphon202 on January 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

In Newt’s case, perhaps F FOR FAKE is an apt cinematic analogy?

Mr. Arkadin on January 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM

If you would cast Newt as Elmyr de Hory, then Mitt would comprise the even poorer forgers of the fake Japanese exhibit of his work recounted in the Norwegian documentary “Almost True: The Noble Art of Forgery,” included with the F FOR FAKE DVD.

Poor Orson had a tendency to create “lost films” that still exist, kind of. His fictional cameo in ED WOOD is actually quite appropriate, since Euro-schlockmeister Jess Franco got his start as second-unit director on CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT and then did a reputedly horrible job putting together a cut of DON QUIXOTE.

It’s nice to meet a fellow fan. Did you enjoy his first film?

The Cocteau quote in the comments is funny when you consider that the short is a satire of “Blood of a Poet.”

ebrown2 on January 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM

For me it’s gonna either be Slappy the Squirrel or Pinky /Brain.
Cartoons can’t be worse then what we’ve got now.
annoyinglittletwerp on January 17, 2012 at 10:09 PM

OH YEAH!

I vote Slappy, SLAPPY! : )

listens2glenn on January 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM

gryphon202 on January 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I doubt your sincerity.

I mean Newt should somehow be constrained to look at only four short years of Mitt’s life. Yup that sounds fair. Then cut out all of Gingrich’s Marriages as most dislike him for that. That is really not political or management. Cut out his lost of his speakership.

No seems to me you know Romney has no defense so you are playing Saul Alinsky on Newt.

I mean the facts on these companies are not in Mitts favor. Add to that him claiming jobs he had nothing to do with for 13 years after he left. This is a horrible indefensible he should be ashamed of. By Mitts Standard Carter would get credit for all the jobs created for the 13 years after we fired him.

Steveangell on January 17, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I doubt your sincerity.

Then you don’t know me, and I would suggest you refrain from commenting on my sincerity or any of my other personal attributes until you do.

I don’t care what most people like or dislike Newt for, though I find criticism of his multiple marriages irrelevant to the fact that I don’t trust Newt to bring us back to constitutional government, either.

Steveangell on January 17, 2012 at 11:51 PM

The “facts” on these companies is that Mitt is being accused of things that did not happen (raiding pension funds et. al) with leftist talking points. People lost jobs at Bain receiverships, ergo what Romney did must have been illegal. Bullshit.
You can doubt my sincerity all you want, but it sounds like your boy Mr. Lizard doesn’t have much of a defense himself for whatever reason he’s peddling OWS malarkey.

Wake up and smell the coffee, douchebag; they’re all a bunch of mercenary opportunists. Every last one of them. And the sooner you get that through your head, the better you’ll be able to brace yourself for disappointment in 2013 once it dawns on you that the Republican Party didn’t have the savior you were looking for between 2010 and 2012.

gryphon202 on January 18, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Saw this.

PALIN ENDORSED NEWT!!!!

liberal4life on January 17, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Said this

I don’t have tv. Is it true that an endorsement for Newt is coming from Sarah or is she just talking him up in SC. I figured she would go with Santorum.

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Didn’t see this.

Sarah Palin just endorsed Newt in SC?

Mr. Joe on January 17, 2012 at 9:38 PM

About now the electrical storm is switching things on and off, loosing power shortly.

See this. After making one more request.

So was it an endorsement or not?

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM

golfmann on January 17, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Look at link and read it. Come back and see this.

So was it an endorsement or not?

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Whoooooooooooo cares.

mattshu on January 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Seen as a snark. But I want to thank golfmann before taking up the snark.

golfmann on January 17, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Thanks golfmann, appreciate it. That’s not an endorsement.

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Reply to snark.

Whoooooooooooo cares.

mattshu on January 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Now that reply is where I got away from my new anger management techniques. I should have waited to respond. i.e. cooler heads prevail.

Next was your response.

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

You mad bro?

mattshu on January 17, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Which wasn’t helpful by the way. And then these two comments. One stupid one each here,

mattshu on January 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM

mattshu on January 17, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Not nearly as mad as you are an a$$hole.

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Loose power completely at this point. About 45 minutes, come back and see your final entry.

Not nearly as mad as you are an a$$hole.

Bmore on January 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Ahhhbviously. ;)

mattshu on January 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM

So mattshu, our relationship is off to a rocky start. Lets see if I can help that, Firstly my apologies for calling you an a$$hole, I let my ill temper get the best of me. No excuse but I hope you will consider the stream of events and the fact that I was having technical issues due to the storm. Unfortunately and apparently I tabled my anger management, when a better way for me to have gone would have been, to just let my perception of your original comment go. Again my apologies. I do have a great deal of respect for Palin as I believe she is a great spokesperson for my causes. I make my decisions completely on my own however, but was surprised that she had made an endorsement. As I know now she has not. I was thrilled to have been able to sign in here at HotAir as a commenter and still am. HotAir over the years has been a great sounding board for me in forming my own opinions on the topics of the day. That and the good humor of its bloggers and fellow commenters has meant a lot to me in these trying days. I have tried to always add to the threads I comment on and never besmirch others. With exception to Dr. Pauls folks. I admitt to being a little sensitive to snark, my pet peeve is people will say things on the web, they would never say to your face. At any rate I hope to share in conversation with you again in the future, hopefully with a better tone and level of respect. Again thanks for considering my humble apology.

Bmore on January 18, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Good Lord, I just cannot support Romney. I just can’t.

Key West Reader on January 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM

It’ll be okay Mrs Pelosi. Just calm down.

csdeven on January 18, 2012 at 12:16 AM

If Newt was really smart he would cut this out and focus on Romneycare.

AshleyTKing on January 18, 2012 at 12:32 AM

All capitalists are equal, but some capitalists are more equal than others.

Newt taking money from a Government Sponsored Entity and touting it as liquid and stable shortly before it crashes and burns – ultimately receiving a massive taxpayer bailout – is the capitalist equivalent to Romney making money at a private equity firm.

Makes perfect sense.

alwaysfiredup on January 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Only in the minds of those supporting Newt.

rukiddingme on January 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Bmore on January 18, 2012 at 12:07 AM

One of the most thoughtful things I’ve ever read on the interwebs. Thanks. Let’s start over, despite our disagreement.

mattshu on January 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM

mattshu on January 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Deal!

Bmore on January 18, 2012 at 12:44 AM

If Newt was really smart he would cut this out and focus on Romneycare.

AshleyTKing on January 18, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Yes, which leaves one wondering if Newt was really smart.

rukiddingme on January 18, 2012 at 12:48 AM

gryphon202 on January 18, 2012 at 12:05 AM

They robbed this one
Sure I could find many others the 30% that went bankrupt there goes the pension fund. Lies will not save Romney. He went in to companies that were distressed. He leveraged them for all he could he fired as many employees as possible while lowering wages and benefits to the max possible. 70% of the time these companies did survive but every one of them suffered in the process especially their employees. Now as Newt is a Capitalist he only pointed out a few. But if you do not think Obama will paint the entire record you are out of your mind.

Yes I realize that overall this tactic did save companies and make many others far more efficient. But the fact is probably 50% of Americans saw pay freezes or pay cuts because of it. Romney run he gets the blame fair or not does not matter. Thus the confidence on the left.
so Bullshit.

Steveangell on January 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM

“I’m proud of real capitalists.”

Sure, Comrade Gingrich! And I’m proud of Conservatives who don’t let their palpable sense of desperation cause them to adopt the rhetoric of the Left. Get off Pelosi’s couch, Newty! Come back to us and be on the side of free enterprise again.

cicerone on January 18, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Real capitalists take tons of government money and call people “Juan”.

profitsbeard on January 18, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Maybe Newt should stop describing himself as a Reagan conservative, because he not only looks like Ted Kennedy, he apparently holds some of the same views on capitalism.

captn2fat on January 18, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Send the children to work, did Newt bellow.
See, I’m the electable fellow.
So he went after Mitt,
With his pillow sharp wit,
But just couldn’t harsh Romney’s mellow.

MJBrutus on January 18, 2012 at 6:00 AM

I am done with this ignorant government parasite. I will never vote for the great and powerful wizard of id and can’t wait until he loses the next couple of primaries.

ray on January 18, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Desperate Newt should just go away.

ObamatheMessiah on January 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Newt has a good debate performance and instatntly he becomes an expert on capitalism and suggests everyomne else, who has been beating him, get out of the race.

It took less than 24 hours for the Ol’ Newt to return.

Tater Salad on January 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Stayright on January 17, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Do you know what constitutes being on the Board of a Company? This is not the CEO position, which would be accountable for the day to day operations of the company. The CEO is to watch over this and that is his function. The fraud was in a day to day operation, which is audited and reviewed by Executives within the company. They report to the board what they find. The Board only knows what the CEO and Executive Management tell them. They give advise and direction to the CEO or can fire the CEO. The fraud lays on the shoulders of the CEO of that company. Not Mitt.

Sometimes I wonder, how many of these people expressing themselves in the comment section have ever worked? When you have no clue what function Boards of Directors, CEO’s and Executive Management perform? There are segregation of duties and the Fraud was probably in the lower levels of management, which should have been uncovered by an Executive Manager (unless this Exec, did a wink and a nod). That being said, Fraud is not the result of the Board.

GEE WHIZ folks, take a business organizational class or something! Maybe get a real job???

uhangtight on January 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM