GOP candidates to join pro-life forum in South Carolina

posted at 5:30 pm on January 16, 2012 by Tina Korbe

At least four of the five GOP candidates will be present at a pro-life forum in South Carolina Wednesday, LifeNews.com reports:

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum, Congressman Ron Paul, and Texas Governor Rick Perry are scheduled to participate in the Presidential Prolife Forum at the Hilton Hotel in Greenville, South Carolina on Wednesday. Former Governor Mitt Romney has not responded to invitations to attend the event. …

“In the past, abortion has been relegated as a side-issue, but no longer,” Keith Mason, the head of the group, said in a statement to LifeNews.

“Voters are dissatisfied with liberal Republican candidates who are prolife in word, but not in deed. We have already seen a tremendous outspokenness on the Sanctity of Life from these four candidates,” he added. “Now voters are eager to ask serious questions about each candidate’s prolife position. Over 50 million innocent children have been killed by abortion since 1973, and we want a President who will not sit by and watch the death toll climb.”

While the eventual GOP nominee’s record on the abortion issue will likely make little difference in the general election, which promises to be a contest of alternate visions for economic growth and job development, it is nevertheless true that several of the GOP candidates have elevated the issue of abortion in the primaries. Ron Paul has made an unusual point to tout his pro-life credentials, for example, and Newt Gingrich’s Super PAC has attacked Mitt Romney’s record on the topic. Rick Santorum can’t go anywhere without receiving questions on social issues like abortion and gay marriage, and Rick Perry, too, has hyped his social conservative credentials. It also remains true that many single-issue voters still vote on the basis of a candidate’s position on this issue.

Given the confusion about Mitt Romney’s record on life issues, it might be smart of him to actually put in an appearance at the event, but, with the primary so close, it’s plausible he hasn’t yet confirmed because he has a genuine conflict.

Comments

Mitt gets testy when he is questioned about his liberalism ,probably knows it is best to stay away.

jsunrise on January 16, 2012 at 5:39 PM

This is the one area where I am single issue – I will vote for a genuine pro-life democrat before a pro-abortion Republican. Fortunately I’ve never had to test this principle, mostly since there are so few pro-life democrats, and even fewer that I consider to be sincere (see Bart Stupak).

updog on January 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Of course he’ll be there. He’s 100% pro-life now. (So I’ve been told).

SouthernGent on January 16, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Mitt visibly recoils from all thing conservative and Christian… so… money’s on no way..

glidingone on January 16, 2012 at 5:42 PM

What channel is it on?

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Romney at a pro life forum is like seeing a turd in the punchbowl.

they lie on January 16, 2012 at 5:44 PM

So far I have been told there are 2 conservative thing that Mitt has accomplished..
1. Married for 375 years happily!
2. Balanced Mass. budget. (had to raise taxes,sorry fees,700mil to do it.) But that’s how conservatives do it!

jsunrise on January 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM

updog on January 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Never trust a democrat. I did once. He was a city councilman, then mayor, then supervisor. In all those positions he was reliably conservative. He ran for state assemblyman. The choice a conservative democrat or a moderate Pub. I voted for the conservative democrat who won and then morphed into a flaming progressive upon taking office. He didn’t even have the decency to slowly morph. First vote flaming lib.

chemman on January 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Romney at a pro life forum is like seeing a turd in the punchbowl.

they lie on January 16, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Obama got there first?

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 5:46 PM

jsunrise on January 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Better to raise taxes like a liberal, right?

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 5:47 PM

1. Married for 375 years happily!

jsunrise on January 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Romney’s immortal?

I think that’s going a little too far. *chuckles*

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM

He takes no responsibility for burning those witches in Salem. That was just a harvest festival that got a little rambunctious.

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Romney at a pro life forum is like seeing a turd in the punchbowl.

they lie on January 16, 2012 at 5:44 PM

You have a way with words.

Dr. Tesla on January 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I wonder if anyone here has ever voted for a tax increase?

CW on January 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM

You have a way with words.

Dr. Tesla on January 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Poetic. No?

CW on January 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I think I’m going to have to sit the rest of this election cycle out.

RomneyCare guy vs Obama, what a matchup of contrasting viewpoints.

Dr. Tesla on January 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I vote agaisnt any politician that likes raising taxes. Core value.

Dr. Tesla on January 16, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Romney at a pro life forum is like seeing a turd in the punchbowl.

they lie on January 16, 2012 at 5:44 PM

More like a pearl in a sewer.

MJBrutus on January 16, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I vote agaisnt any politician that likes raising taxes. Core value.

Dr. Tesla on January 16, 2012 at 6:06 PM

So, since it is the legislature that raises taxes you can’t vote for The Newtron,
Rick Santorum,
Ron Paul.

That leaves Rick Perry and Mitt Romney.

Gunlock Bill on January 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I wonder why the social libs have not jumped off the Romney bandwangon, as he’s come out for overturning Roe vs Wade and for admending the Constiution to make maarriage b/t man and woman.

Can’t see my buddy Brutus going for that. But I guess Brutus and the social libs assume Romney is pandering for votes. :)

Dr. Tesla on January 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Didn’t Romney skip a similar thing in Iowa?

How did that work out for him?

Gunlock Bill on January 16, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Santorum was the man on taxes, Gunlock bill.

In your worldview, a social con = fiscal liberal. But they are not mutually exclusive. You do need to get informed b/f you talk politics.

Romney raised taxes and fees in Mass. He never cut taxes.

Dr. Tesla on January 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Rick Santorum,
Ron Paul.

That leaves Rick Perry and Mitt Romney.

Gunlock Bill on January 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Ron Paul voted for a tax hike?

What is this blasphemy?

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Santorum was the man on taxes, welfare reform, and social security reform (pritization).

Yet the ant-social cons want to portray him as a fiscal liberal, while portraying Mitt Romney of Romney Care, which is monument to fiscal liberalism, a fiscal conservative.

Dr. Tesla on January 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I never hear Ron Paul talk about tax cuts much.

It’s mostly all spending and debt reduction. I think he’s more of a deficit hawk than a conservative, which means he’d probaby support tax hikes.

Dr. Tesla on January 16, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I never hear Ron Paul talk about tax cuts much.

Dr. Tesla on January 16, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Ron Paul said in one of the debates that the income tax should be eliminated and replace with…nothing.

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Good luck with that as most pols think their basic job is to maximize revenue for the government via tax hikes.

Dr. Tesla on January 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM

it is kind of telling that Romney avoids these things. He has a reputation of being a flip flopper on the issue. We have video of him promising with all his heart to always stand up for a woman’s right to choose (abortion that is). Now that he claims to have become pro life, you would think he would take the opportunity to be proving it. And yet he has passed up at least 3 opportunities during this primary. (The group putting on this forum did a radio one in Iowa, which he was absent from as well.) It makes me question his sincerity, no doubt about it.

cheetah2 on January 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Uh-huh

Southernblogger on January 16, 2012 at 6:33 PM

You’d think Romney would show up for a pro-life event if he was willing to say he would overturn Roe Vs Wade in the NH debate. I never saw that coming. I would have thought the social libs would hate the guy now.

Dr. Tesla on January 16, 2012 at 6:33 PM

“While the eventual GOP nominee’s record on the abortion issue will likely make little difference in the general election…”

Abortion is more important to the electorate than some imagine. To begin, if you take the idealistic but arguably comically extreme view, held by a marginal 20% of voters, that no exceptions should be allowed for rape or incest, your candidate in the general election would be the subject of endless brutal EFFECTIVE attacks (like Ken Buck in CO). You will lose.
A moderate view is preferred. And ideal candidate, as far as electability, would have a kind of muddled position on this. Because this issue continues to be highly divisive. For good reason.

anotherJoe on January 16, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Romney was for abortion, before he was against abortion, before he was for abortion, before he was against abortion …

Pork-Chop on January 16, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I was always hoping that Huntsman would gain a little in the polls, so he could divide the squish vote with Romney, the way conservatives are divided right now. But he projected such contempt toward Republicans, that even the squishes didn’t like him.

The only advantage of him getting out now is we don’t have to see his sanctimonious mug in the debates, and fewer candidates – no Bachmann, Cain, Huntsman & (in a week) no Perry – makes for a less circus-like atmosphere. I know people are sick of the debates by now, but they still present an opportunity for Romney to screw up (e.g., the $10,000 bet) and for Gingrich to gain ground. For all the talk about inevitability, Gingrich is still just 7 points behind Romney in the RCP South Carolina poll average, and a win for Gingrich in SC would re-shuffle the deck.

BCrago66 on January 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I wish Romney would flip flop on RomneyCare as he doesn’t seem against flip flopping in general.

Why not throw the thing that hurts you most under the bus as well?

Dr. Tesla on January 16, 2012 at 6:50 PM

It’s amazing conservatives are rallying around the RomneyCare guy simply b/c of some misguided negative ads by Gingrich. RomneyCare was an assault on capitalism and free markets in real way, the Bain ads are just campaign ads. It’s Orwellian that conservatives are rallying around a healthcare statist b/c his private sector job is being demonized by political opponenets. What’s the bigger issue here? Healthcare or defending the healthcare statist against misguided campaign ads?

Dr. Tesla on January 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I’m enthusiastic about Romney. I suspect that for many of Romney’s critics that they would be annoyed by whoever is our nominee. I was reading the comments here on Hotair about Jim DeMint not endorsing anyone in GOP primary. People were calling DeMint a RINO. To such people, I can just “best of luck in 2016 getting the GOP to nominate someone to the right of DeMint.” The GOP stars, Rubio, Christie, Jindal, and Ryan, are all to DeMint’s left.

thuja on January 16, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I hope Romney shows up, his stance on abortion still is not solid in my mind. I hope he sticks to his pro-life stances, although I understand his not signing that stupid pledge.

The below link from my local conservative blog talks about some interesting things on Mormons, if you’re interested in that sort of thing.

ConservativeLaw on January 16, 2012 at 7:04 PM

There is a unique way of looking at the abortion issue. Overturn Roe vs Wade, and return it to states, but with a twist.
To kind of lay foundation for the twist, a ~ year ago I was talking to my pro-AGW brother, and I noted polls that showed a new majority did not belief in man-made global warming. Later I said “Ok, there are 2 scientific camps. The people will decide.” Perhaps predictably, he said “No no. The people don’t understand it.. etc.”
Recently I was talking to my very conservative 88 year old mother of my sister-in-law from Alabama, and she agreed with returning abortion to the states. But she added, “and let only the women vote on it to decide the issue.”

anotherJoe on January 16, 2012 at 7:34 PM

For the love of GOD…..these poor excuses for debates are simply ridiculous.
I, and most people I know, don’t care about abortion (no one’s going to get the Supreme Court to revisit Roe v. Wade, so quit wasting air), or immigration (no one’s going to arrest every illegal in the country), or gay marriage (it’s just not a widespread “situation” that warrants attention.)
I don’t care who among the Republican candidates is more moderate or more conservative.
I don’t care about Bain, or Newt’s girlfriends, or which pew Santorum sits in on Sunday.
What I DO care about is getting the Marxists replaced by someone, anyone, that will take concrete steps toward reversing The Inept One’s agenda. Just give me someone that will beat him. That’s really all that matters.

n0doz on January 16, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Since that is just next door to my regular cigar bar, I may just stop in there!

ctiberius on January 17, 2012 at 3:04 PM