Debate preview: And then there were five

posted at 2:50 pm on January 16, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Tonight, the latest edition of Survivor: Republican Primary moves once again to Fox News Channel, which will televise and moderate tonight’s debate in South Carolina.  Thanks to the withdrawal of Jon Huntsman, the stage will get cozier and perhaps the responses lengthier in the game-show format used in almost all of the media debates over the last several months.  This won’t be the final debate before Saturday’s primary in the Palmetto State; CNN will air one on Thursday evening, presumably with the same number of candidates, although at this rate … who knows?

When Michele Bachmann withdrew after the Iowa caucus, her absence arguably changed the dynamic of the debates.  Bachmann had consistently attacked the other Republicans on stage, sometimes very effectively, and particularly Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich.  Huntsman’s withdrawal will not change the debate dynamic much, if at all, unless Fox (and then CNN) allow for longer responses rather than more questions.  It also could allow each candidate to answer every question, something that was impossible with seven, eight, and nine candidates on stage at the same time.  The absence of Huntsman might mean fewer questions on China in particular, although Paul’s presence guarantees that foreign policy will remain a key debate topic throughout the rest of the primary debates.  Otherwise, it’s going to basically be a repeat of the last several debates, and the big question will be whether one of Mitt Romney’s opponents can find a way to (a) trip him up, or (b) find a way to distinguish himself as the clear alternative to a Romney nomination.

Here’s how I see the strategy for tonight’s final five:

• Mitt Romney — Romney has suddenly broken through the 25% “ceiling” this week, perhaps benefiting from the field’s consolidation, or from the focus on his business expertise.  All Romney needs to do in South Carolina is reassure conservatives and not make any mistakes.  Expect him to talk about family values, the sanctity of life, and the need for a leader who understands how to turn around malfunctioning organizations.  He will need to ignore attacks from other candidates and look presidential, his successful strategy throughout most of these debates.
  • Newt Gingrich — Gingrich vaulted to the top of the polls by acting like a statesman, defending Republicans and attacking the media moderators in the debates.  He lost his advantage by reverting to Nasty Newt, attacking Romney by demonizing the process of creative destruction, and doing the media’s job for them.  I’m not sure how Gingrich can recover, but it probably won’t be by doubling down on “King of Bain” attacks, especially after the booing at the Huckabee forum.  The moderators won’t let him off the hook, but he could neutralize it by saying that Romney on his worst day is better than Obama on his best, but that Gingrich’s economic plan is better than Romney’s and Gingrich has the skill to push it through Congress on his terms.  Otherwise, with Huntsman out, Gingrich will find himself outgunned on stage by Romney, Rick Santorum, and Ron Paul regarding Bain, with only one ally …
  • Rick Perry — Like Huntsman, it’s difficult to understand why Perry remains in the race.  He bombed in Iowa even after dropping a ton of money there.  He’s doing so poorly in South Carolina that he’s at risk of losing his spot on stage in Thursday’s debate — and if CNN lets him in anyway, they’re going to get an earful from Buddy Roemer.  He’s only at 6% in the latest Fox national poll, which was a single point above Huntsman, and he’s even lower than that in the RCP polling average in Florida.  Perry will have to go on the attack in all directions tonight, and as we have seen in past debates, Perry is not skilled in attacking others on stage extemporaneously.  At the same time, he will need to redefine himself for South Carolina voters, so expect to see a lot of references to his military service and social-conservative values.  Just getting through to the end won’t suffice for Perry.
  • Rick Santorum — Santorum needs a win in South Carolina; a second place moral victory won’t do, and anything less than second is the end of the line.  He needs to focus on his own economic plan, which should resonate with working-class Republicans, and his extensive knowledge on foreign policy; with Huntsman out, he has the most experience in this realm on stage, and that should give him an opportunity to make Ron Paul look kooky.  Santorum needs to also continue looking composed and presidential, where he had problems in earlier debates.  I think South Carolina voters will appreciate his economic approach as well as his very consistent commitment to social-conservative values, and a good debate here could do what the family-values assembly tried to do in Texas this weekend — make him the conservative alternative to Romney.
  • Ron Paul — On substance, Paul won’t change anything.  Stylistically, though, he could do a few things to get people to take him more seriously.  He needs to find a suit that fits properly (I’m amazed that the campaign still can’t get that right), but less superficially, he needs to quit pitching his voice upward and waving his arms around when challenged.  His base loves that, but his base won’t get him elected.  It adds to the crazy-uncle-in-the-attic vibe that Paul needs to shed if he’s going to have an impact anywhere else in the country except Nevada.  If Santorum challenges him on Iran tonight — and Santorum will be itching to do just that — that vibe will come on strong.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Santorum – “I” = 3 shots

Decoski on January 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM

If the mods go to Santorum first, we’ll all be falling off the floor.

MissMagnolia on January 16, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Yeah-I know it’s over for Perry.
I’ll support him until he drops out then probably switch to Mitt.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM

According to the ABRtards, people like you don’t exist.

Gunlock Bill on January 16, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM.
Well you seem to be either in denial or willfully ignorant about the vile creature you are endorsing.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 16, 2012 at 3:42 PM

This is no debate. It’s a circus with 5 clowns trying to do a balancing act on the political high wire trapseze, while 3 other clowns are trying to distract them so they will fall to their death.

they lie on January 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM

You aren’t referring to Obama, Holder, Axelrod, Jarret, and Plouffe are you?

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 3:42 PM

they lie on January 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Unlike the old days when we just had a bunch of ads to help us decide

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I don’t think he’s dropping out before Texas. Texas = 155 delegates

workingclass artist on January 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Texas? The state where PPP says he’s running third?

alchemist19 on January 16, 2012 at 3:42 PM

gophergirl on January 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Hi there! Yeah thats true stranger things have happened, but I think the “vulture capitalism” stuff has really hurt him. I dont see him in the top three, barring some sort of debate miracle surge or something.

nswider on January 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Please tell me why we have to choose one candidate now? Only two states have voted, and in both states Democrats have infiltrated the Republican vote. Same thing can happen in South Carolina.

I still support Perry, warts and all. Better than any other choices I see.

Keeping the faith. Praying for miracles. Knowing they happen.

FastTalker on January 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM

According to the ABRtards, people like you don’t exist.

Gunlock Bill on January 16, 2012 at 3:41 PM

The Mister feels the same way.
We just love being imaginary.
*wink*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I’m sticking with Perry myself, I seriously think he’ll hang in there for quite awhile to see if he starts hitting in primaries that are actually REPUBLICAN primaries, rather than open

KornKing on January 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Like Florida?

alchemist19 on January 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM

KornKing on January 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I don’t think he’s dropping out before Texas. Texas = 155 delegates

workingclass artist on January 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Does he have the money/ground game to be competitive until TX?

herm2416 on January 16, 2012 at 3:44 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 16, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Now Ron Paul’s a vile creature?

Come at me, bro.

I admit Ron Paul’s campaign attracts some weird, dirty, and bigoted people, but what other candidate is proposing any significant cuts? I don’t hear any real cuts from Romney.

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I admit Ron Paul’s campaign attracts some weird, dirty, and bigoted people,

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM

You forgot “delusional”, “paranoid”, and “gullible”

Jonestown 2

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I don’t think he’s dropping out before Texas. Texas = 155 delegates

workingclass artist on January 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM

“Vulture capitalism”. He’s done and comes home on Sunday.

JPeterman on January 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I’ll drink everytime the panel asks a question about the following :
Fast and Furious
Solyndra and Lightsquared
Obama’s anti-semitism
Manipulation of employment numbers
Obama’s dictatorial behaviour
Obama endangering the lives of American people
Backdoor amnesty for illegals
and
Mooch’s vacays on taxpayer’s dime

burrata on January 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM

You haven’t been here long, have you?
I’m a broad-not a bro…a conservative, patriotic JEWISH broad.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM

The closest thing we have is Newt. He is articulate. He loves America. He has a track record of implementing conservative legislation. And he is certainly a social libertarian. Go Newt!!

Kaffa on January 16, 2012 at 3:33 PM

What the hell is a “social libertarian”?

cartooner on January 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM

You forgot “delusional”, “paranoid”, and “gullible”

Jonestown 2

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Yeah, those too.

But that doesn’t make Ron Paul one of them. It’s no different than that crazy Pastor Robert Jefress who supports Perry and made bigoted remarks towards Mormons.

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM

This won’t be the final debate before Saturday’s primary in the Palmetto State; CNN will air one on Thursday evening…

Can’t wait to hear the questions CNN asks the candidates

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Someone tell me who to vote for and why – without any going negative on the other candidates.

Also, it doesn’t do any good to say that I should vote for Ron Paul. There’s no way that I’ll vote for anybody that fed the flames of 9/11 Truthers.

blink on January 16, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Vote for Rick Perry. He has, by far, the most executive experience and his record in Texas will stand in stark contrast to Obama’s record. Also, his continuous fight for Texas against the Federal Government shows him to be a small federal government state’s rights candidate. He is conservative and he is pro-life and pro-second amendment.

He is my choice. :) :) :)

Theophile on January 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Does he have the money/ground game to be competitive until TX?

Perry will be lucky to win Texas with some of the things he has pulled. Spending $400k/month for security with taxpayer money is making a lot of Texans angry.

johnny reb on January 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

You haven’t been here long, have you?
I’m a broad-not a bro…a conservative, patriotic JEWISH broad.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Yes, I know.

“Come at me, bro” is a popular meme, is all. :)

What does being Jewish have to do with anything? I’m Catholic, and I’m not supporting Newt or Santorum…

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

What the hell is a “social libertarian”?

cartooner on January 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Legalize pot?

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

What the hell is a “social libertarian”?

cartooner on January 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM

A whore who pays taxes

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I’ll drink everytime the panel asks a question about the following :
Fast and Furious
Solyndra and Lightsquared
Obama’s anti-semitism
Manipulation of employment numbers
Obama’s dictatorial behaviour
Obama endangering the lives of American people
Backdoor amnesty for illegals
and
Mooch’s vacays on taxpayer’s dime

burrata on January 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Ah, you’re a teetotaler. Well, there will be plenty of time and reason to start drinking after the election should Obama win another term.

Theophile on January 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I’ll drink everytime the panel asks a question about the following :
Fast and Furious
Solyndra and Lightsquared
Obama’s anti-semitism
Manipulation of employment numbers
Obama’s dictatorial behaviour
Obama endangering the lives of American people
Backdoor amnesty for illegals
and
Mooch’s vacays on taxpayer’s dime

burrata on January 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Good.. We need at least one sober person on here tonight.

Key West Reader on January 16, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Legalize pot?

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

A whore who pays taxes

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I’ve never heard the term “social libertarian”. I’m a libertarian. I think some get it mixed up with “libertine” which I am definitely not.

cartooner on January 16, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Can’t wait to hear the questions CNN asks the candidates

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Well since we’ve already had a lengthy discussion about contraception, maybe it’s time to bring up that other important topic “boxers or briefs”.

JPeterman on January 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 3:32 PM

When he was subbing for Rush several weeks ago, Walter Williams said that he has known Ron Paul for about 20 years, and he can affirm that Ron Paul is no racist.

petefrt on January 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I’m so over these debates…

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on January 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM

JPeterman on January 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Perhaps we could get the candidates views of slavery

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I think some get it mixed up with “libertine” which I am definitely not.

cartooner on January 16, 2012 at 3:59 PM

In my experience, it’s not ‘some’. It’s ‘many’. It seems very common.

petefrt on January 16, 2012 at 4:04 PM

The camera’s will be on, and that’s when Newt shines. A bulb goes off for him. His approval numbers will be up in the polls, until he’s off camera and says something, the media gets to interpret. Then…his poll numbers go down again…until he gets to explain it on camera again. Same cycle…different scenarios.

KOOLAID2 on January 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM

petefrt on January 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I don’t understand why people are so hard on Ron Paul. When Israel bombed Iraq’s Osirak nuclear plant in ’81, Ron Paul defended their right to do so, while the U.N. and the Reagan Administration did not. Ron Paul might say things in an uncanny manner, but he’s not a racist, bigot, homophobe, etc.

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I’ll drink everytime the panel asks a question about the following :
Fast and Furious
Solyndra and Lightsquared
Obama’s anti-semitism
Manipulation of employment numbers
Obama’s dictatorial behaviour
Obama endangering the lives of American people
Backdoor amnesty for illegals
and
Mooch’s vacays on taxpayer’s dime

burrata on January 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Don’t be lining up all kinds of shots in front of you!
It’s a b!tch trying to pour those back in the bottle!

KOOLAID2 on January 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM

maybe it’s time to bring up that other important topic “boxers or briefs”.

JPeterman on January 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM

The answers :
Romney : magic knee-lengths
Gingrich : thongs
Santorum : boxers over the briefs
Perry : commando baaibaay
Paul : Depends

burrata on January 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I don’t think Ron Paul is a bigot or a nut. He’s the most principled guy out there. I’d vote for him if not for his nieve foriegn policy.

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM

The richest man to ever ran for president has no shot at beating Obama. Time for the other candidates to drop out.

have you ever heard of ross perot,nelson rockefeller,teddy kennedy

gerrym51 on January 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Evan Baxter channels Ron Paul

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I still support Perry, warts and all. Better than any other choices I see.

Keeping the faith. Praying for miracles. Knowing they happen.

FastTalker on January 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Total votes for nomination = 1,144

Romney so far has 22

SC has 25, FL 50 & I believe both are winner-take-all.

You can make a case for this being a LONG way from over (with room for a “miracle”), despite what the media/GOP Elites would want you to believe.

MissMagnolia on January 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I don’t like most of his foreign policy, either, but the fiscal policies, respect for the Constitution and the fact that Romney’s the front-runner are all reasons good enough for me to support Ron Paul, even if I don’t like him on some issues.

I see a lot of comments here about pushing Romney to the Right if he becomes President, but with Ron Paul, there’s less issues to “push” him on. It seems foreign policy is more important to some Republicans, even more than the economy.

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM

have you ever heard of ross perot,nelson rockefeller,teddy kennedy

gerrym51 on January 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Is Romney richer than FDR, JFK or LBJ? Adjusting for inflation of course.

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM

nswider on January 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Grrrr why did he do that? Grrrrr! I just can’t give up on him though as long of a shot he is.

gophergirl on January 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I’ll drink everytime the panel asks a question about the following :
Fast and Furious
Solyndra and Lightsquared
Obama’s anti-semitism
Manipulation of employment numbers
Obama’s dictatorial behaviour
Obama endangering the lives of American people
Backdoor amnesty for illegals
and
Mooch’s vacays on taxpayer’s dime

burrata on January 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Ok, there’s our ‘designated driver’ volunteer – thanks burrata!

Midas on January 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM

gophergirl on January 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I think he was looking for a little payback on Romney and thought he had an opening.

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Been Perry, will be Perry unless he drops out. I’ll vote for Romney, if they allow a puke bucket in the booth. If not, then we have a REAL problem.

Still regret she chose not to run.

irongrampa on January 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM

don’t think he’s dropping out before Texas. Texas = 155 delegates

workingclass artist on January 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM

“Vulture capitalism”. He’s done and comes home on Sunday.

JPeterman on January 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I sincerely hope not. Because of attrition, I am down to one candidate Perry with no alternates.

Dr Evil on January 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Dr Evil on January 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Do you really think Perry would have a chance in the general? not trying to be a dick just asking.

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Ya know, I’m not going to vote for Romney, period – there is zero demonstrable reason or evidence to think he’d be remotely conservative. As much as I think Paul’s a nutbag – primarily on national defense – I’d vote for him if he were the nominee. I have confidence that I know where he stands, and while I don’t like his foreign policy notions, he’s about the only one that doesn’t have his head up his backside regarding domestic/economic policy, and THAT is the crisis that’s destroying us as we speak. If that doesn’t get corrected, our military and national defense is going to crumble around us anyway.

Midas on January 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Very good point and you are probably right.

Still such a bad move on his part. Grrrr!

gophergirl on January 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I don’t. Look, I liked Bush – and I held my breath during every debate he was in for fear that he was going to blurt out something that sounded dumb, forget a word, mangle a phrase, etc. I wanted him to do well, but there was always a high chance of him stepping on his tongue in the process.

I have that fear now with Perry, too – but… worse.

Midas on January 16, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Is there a reason that the candidates aren’t shining a spotlight on romneycare in states like Florida? Maybe they are…. I’m guessing that seniors are not crazy about romneycare.

balkanmom on January 16, 2012 at 4:29 PM

burrata on January 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Division of country, class warfare, thuggery, lies, narcissism, vacuity…just helping you out.

Schadenfreude on January 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Midas on January 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Good point, but he won’t be the nominee. I guess we’ll just have to hope that should Romney win he will keep his word and govern as a conservative

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Aizen on January 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM

You still don’t get it. The red hot hatred flowing for Ron Paul in Republican circles has nothing to do with his foreign policy or his alleged racism. It has a lot to do with his anti-Fed and anti-banking ideas. Banking sector’s money – and there’s a whole metric ton of it, to be sure – went overwhelmingly to Obama and his Dem cronies in 2008, which allowed them to bang the GOP like a cheap gong. This time, Obama spooked them with his support of OWS, so they’re willing to throw the lot with Republicans. That money means victory in many races down the line, and that’s what counts for the GOP “leadership”. They’ll go to any lengths to keep Ron Paul’s ideas from being aired – and they have a plenty of useful idiots to help them.

Archivarix on January 16, 2012 at 4:33 PM

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM

People will have to decide if life with another 4 years of Obama, is better than with Romney.

I say give the marxist narcissist his wish and send him back to Chicago supplanting Carter as the worst President ever.

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Santorum should have gone all out with his blue collar manufacturing pitch from the very beginning.

Forget foreign policy, forget social issues, talk jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs …. talk rust belt manufacturing manufacturing manufacturing manufacturing …..

mockmook on January 16, 2012 at 4:35 PM

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Yep. And if he does govern as a conservative, he’ll have earned my vote for 2016.

Midas on January 16, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Archivarix on January 16, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Ron Paul doesn’t have enough?

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM

How many delegates does Romney have after Iowa and New Hampshire?

Because at the end of the day it’s about how many delegates you win in each state.

South Carolina has only 25 Delegates it awards. It’s not winner take all.

Mitt Romney won 7 delegates in Iowa.

Mitt Romney has 25 delegates so far.

The 2012 Republican presidential primaries are the selection processes in which voters of the Republican Party will choose their nominee for President of the United States in the 2012 presidential election. There are 2,286 delegates.[3] A candidate must accumulate 1,144 delegate votes to win.[4]

But sure let’s call the primary race now LOL!

Dr Evil on January 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM

mockmook on January 16, 2012 at 4:35 PM

The only way manufacturing jobs come back in a big way is if it becomes economically viable to do so. We live in an international economy and U.S. companies cannot compete with foreign competitors who continue to manufactures in China and India where lobor is 1/10th the cost. No politician can change that I’m afraid.

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I blame the unions

Roy Rogers on January 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM

But sure let’s call the primary race now LOL!

Dr Evil on January 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Oh, good grief, I know. I *hate* this stupid process. I’m in Texas – and by the time the primary gets here, will I even have an opportunity to cast a ballot? Not likely. Couple of podunk nitwit states with OPEN PRIMARIES have an inordinate impact on the process… *grumble*

Midas on January 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I think Rick Perry, should hold on loosely and not let go, what’s a Perry comment without a hand gun reference :)

Honestly he’s the most steady, capable and dependable candidate in the race. He needs to bring his A game, but he should let his rivals have at each other and rise above. Grace under pressure.

Dr Evil on January 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I look for Newt to again dominate the debate tonight as this plays to his strength. Remember folks, we’ve still got two more debates and five more days of campaigning to go before the actual vote on Saturday. Anything can still happen. Don’t buy into the mainstream mantra that it’s all over and that it’s a slam dunk for Romney. It’s not over ’til it’s over.

jfs756 on January 16, 2012 at 4:50 PM

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Well, there are advantages to having it here in the US that counterbalance that equation a bit (eg: less likelihood to be nationalized by a foreign government and lose everything you hvae in that country) – but that’s not enough as it is now. Politicians *could* have a material impact on that, however. We may not be able to make it a financial zero-sum game, but we could do a *lot* get the hell out of the way in terms of regulation, taxation, etc, that would make the equation more favorable to the US. Yeah, it may still cost more because we don’t allow sweatshops and such, but if in every other way it was much much easier to open and conduct business here, it would make a *huge* difference.

Midas on January 16, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Midas on January 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM

You want a closed primary in New Hampshire so Romney could have won with 49% of the vote instead of the 39% he got in the open primary system?

alchemist19 on January 16, 2012 at 4:53 PM

jfs756 on January 16, 2012 at 4:50 PM

It is over… the voters… have spoken loud and clear… they want the guy who walks on the slippery slope about a yard above where our current president resides… the fix has been in since day one… Cain got in the way and was removed… Gingrich got in the way and was/is being removed… Romney will remain and will be readily defeated just like McCain was. Welcome to being a pawn of the MSM and political strategists in the GOP.

glidingone on January 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Dr Evil on January 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM

What you say is factually correct, however it’s not that simple. Besides leading the pols he also has the organization in every state as well as the most money. As he wins each state the money difference becomes even greater. Just try to compete in NY or CA with someone with deep pockets. Romney has already demonstrated his willingness to attack and can flood the airways with ads on anyone who he thinks is getting close. I don’t think Romney is going to slip up enough in the debate to change things. I think it will be all but over in 2 weeks.

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Midas on January 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM

A lot of what we get is just good blog bait :) But the truth is even with the Media shilling for him after 5 years of running Romney’s not that strong a candidate he hasn’t moved the needle, and this is his second pass at the White House.

I don’t know if it’s Perry or Gingrich that’s going to manage to hold out, and be the Not Romney candidate. I think Santorum doesn’t last much longer.

We get told that Gingrich is going to implode but he’s still hanging in there he’s getting 40% of the evangelical vote in South Carolina.

I stated awhile back the viable candidates were Perry,
Romney, and Gingrich and Gingrich was my dark horse.

In all, Santorum could miss out on up to 200 delegates from four states (and D.C.) before the contests are held.

Dr Evil on January 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I get that the media is doing their best to get him the republican nomination.

Why Mitt Romney Is A Weak Candidate

Mitt Romney won Iowa by 8 votes he didn’t add any voters from his 2008 run for President the man’s been running for President for 5 years and has all the advantages Money and the Media. Mitt Romney is not a strong front runner. The Media can rouge up their pig all they want...but I don’t buy a pig in a poke GRIN.

Dr Evil on January 16, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Midas on January 16, 2012 at 4:52 PM

You can help some manufacturers in the U.S. with more favorable tax codes and fewer regulation. I can testify American wokmanship is still the best in the world, and for cutting edge products olso. My company switched the majority of it’s manufacuring to China and India about 20 years ago, and we would not still exist if we hadn’t. The chinese and Indian people are getting restless and are starting to demand more pay as they should. If and when we become competitive in our costs then manufacturing will return.

steel guy on January 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM

drballard on January 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Sorry, but after looking at Romney’s record, I found that he really is the moderate progressive (his words, not mine) he proclaimed to be.

If I vote for Pres this year (would be the first time ever I failed to do so), I will be voting against BO.

Of course that is going to be the main thrust of the Repub party, Talk Radio and the once great Fox News: FEAR OBAMA.

That fear is what can win it for Romney and his moderate wing of the party. But, not much else.

tonotisto on January 16, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I’m still for Perry till the bitter end. I, too, hope he doesn’t pull a Fred Thompson and throw in the towel so early.

Now which do I dvr tonight, the premiere of Alcatraz or the umpteenth debate?

jazzuscounty on January 16, 2012 at 6:27 PM

If I were Paul I’d tell Sanitorium;

“It’s because of your sanctions that our relations with Iran have deteriorated to this point that now they’re threatening to shut the straights. Your support for sanctions and intervention against Iran are what make war more likely between us. The Iranians see our aggressive, preemptive war in Iraq and they saw what happened to Qadaffi who got rid of his nuke program – What reason would they have to believe they would be okay if they got rid of their nuke program? We’re still paying for our intervention in the economy just as we’re also paying for our intervention militarily throughout the middle east”.

He has to bring it back to reality – the very same principle involved in being against economic intervention is also used in being against military intervention and policing the world.

fatlibertarianinokc on January 16, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I hope Paul says exactly that. He’s never had a shot at the nomination anyway, and it’s time for him to flame out.

But I suspect he’s not crazy enough to talk like that out in public, when his audience isn’t made up exclusively of Paulbots.

tom on January 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM