Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:00 am on January 15, 2012 by Allahpundit

Six days before South Carolina, it’s social-conservative Sunday. You’ve got Santorum on Fox and CBS and Perry on ABC and CNN, but Newt’s the one to watch to see how he handles Bainmania in the home stretch. Will he dig in or play good cop/bad cop with his PAC? His interview with Gregory makes “Meet the Press” this morning’s best bet.

Or actually, is “Face the Nation” our best bet? You’ve got Newt there too, plus Santorum, plus Jim DeMint in his last chance to speak directly to South Carolinians before the big vote. He’s said before he won’t endorse in the primary, but harsh words for Newt’s Bain messaging could help Romney. Here’s the line-up from the LA Times:

State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) South Carolina primary; politics: Presidential candidate Gov. Rick Perry (R-Texas). The evangelical vote in South Carolina: Rev. Brad Atkins, South Carolina Baptist Convention; Bob Jones III, Bob Jones University…

Meet the Press (NBC) South Carolina primary: Presidential candidate Newt Gingrich. Upcoming political battles: Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.). GOP presidential race; South Carolina primary: Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.); Rep. Tim Scott (R-S.C.).

This Week With George Stephanopoulos (ABC) Presidential candidate Gov. Rick Perry (R-Texas) and comedian Stephen Colbert. Panel: George Will; Cokie Roberts; Jonathan Karl; Peggy Noonan; Paul Krugman.

Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace (Fox) GOP presidential race: former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.). Mitt Romney’s history with Bain Capital: Rick Tyler. Private equity: Chris Chocola, Club for Growth. Panel: Brit Hume; Kirsten Powers; Bill Kristol; Juan Williams…

Face the Nation (CBS) GOP presidential candidates Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum; Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.); author Jodi Kantor (“The Obamas”).

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Speaker Gingrich has asked the Super Pac that put out the “movie” about Governor Romney to either correct the falsehoods in it or pull it.

What was it Governor Romney said when confronted about the falsehoods in the ad his PAC released? Oh yeah, he had nothing to do with creating the ad so he couldn’t ask them to correct it.

Flora Duh on January 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Bingo! This is what bothers me the most about Romney. Gingrich can at least admit to his mistakes. Romney doesn’t think he makes any.

sloopy on January 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I think it gives a glimpse into Romney’s true character. He usually leaves the dirty work to PACs and surrogates, but don’t believe for a minute that he doesn’t support everything they do and say.

NbyNW on January 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM

profitsbeard–I understand that a lot of conservatives don’t like Romney. But to the extent that they will either not vote, or actually vote FOR an extreme leftist, who is certain to move even more to the left in a second term?

What sense does that make?

I ask the Romney-haters: do you really believe he would appoint and/or align himself with people like Van Jones, Eric Holder, Elizabeth Warren, Steven Chu, and other lefty goofballs too numerous to mention? Nominate people to the Supreme Court like Kagan and Sotomayor? (I understand that Robert Bork is a Romney advisor.)

This is such an important election. We need big-picture, thinking voters who understand the ramifications of four more years. Sticking it to the so-called Republican establishment may feel good for those few minutes in the voting booth, but is it really worth another Obama term?

Meredith on January 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM

bluegill on January 15, 2012 at 12:45 PM

In just 6 short days CS will vote and most of the obnoxious supporters for the losers will slink off, having no choice but to admit that the people are overwhelmingly for Mitt. It isn’t even close. Romney is on the verge of sweeping every state in the union. Those who can’t see it, won’t until it happens. The only states that were ever in jeopardy are about 1/2 dozen in the South. Of those, Mitt’s opponents couldn’t even get on the ballot in VA.

When Mitt takes SC the race will be over and done with to such an extent that not even the dead enders would be willing to beclown themselves so far as to deny it.

MJBrutus on January 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Since you replied to a comment bluegill had made to me, I’m assuming (yes, I know) that you were referring to me as one of the “obnoxious supporters for the losers” and one of the “dead enders”.

You’re right, I’m going to hang on till the bitter end, too stoopid to see the writing on the wall.

We were given a solid candidate (Perry) with the record to beat Obama and the governing skills to become probably one of the best Presidents the GOP has ever produced – but we decided superflousness matters more than actual records.

Enjoy Romney and four more years of Obama.

TheRightMan on January 15, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I’m beginning to wonder what has you more upset – that Governor Perry’s chance to win the nomination appears to be over, or that your bragging bravado, pontificating, and prognostications over the past 5 months is an antithesis of your username.

Flora Duh on January 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Far from it, Flora Duh, I am not upset.

I have maintained since the beginning of the primaries that only one candidate has a clear shot at beating Obama and that is Rick Perry. I have listed the reasons even in my earlier comments on this thread.

I have even gone ahead to list electability (chances) of each of the candidates:

Perry > Gingrich > Huntsman > Romney > Santorum > Paul

What more can I do?

The choice lies with the electorate.

Notice the frontrunners after Iowa and NH are the least electable candidates while our better candidates did not rate highly.

There is a reason the GOP is called the Stupid Party.

I will retain my “bragging bravado, pontificating, and prognostications” as Romney goes down in flaming defeat to Obama. Probably, you will stick around long enough to hear me say: “I told you so.”

TheRightMan on January 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I wish Governor Perry could have been the nominee, I really do. I got over his “heartless” comment as soon as he issued the apology, and unlike many here, I do not believe he’s “a dummy”, and I realized early on that his poor performances in the early debates was most likely due to medication and the pain he must have been experiencing from standing in place during the debates.

I also, like you, think he is the “most conservative” candidate left in the race, but there comes a time when you have to face reality. Even some of his most loyal supporters like gopher girl and ALT have done so.

But you take great pride in loudly proclaiming that you will vote for Obama if Governor Romney is the nominee. My question to you is this, will you bravely look my grandchildren in the eye and proudly proclaim that you helped re-elect Obama in 4 yrs after he has added trillions more to their debt and eroded even more of their liberties?

If you answer yes, then IMO, you have no idea what it truly means to be a patriot.

Flora Duh on January 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Flora Duh on January 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM

After watching the head of Newt’s super PAC trying to defending calling Mitt a vulture and corporate raider, and using deceptive clips of people criticizing a different company and making it look like they were discussing Mitt Romney and Bain Capital, I’ve concluded that it’s doing Newt more harm than good. This whole avenue of attack is was stupid. It doesn’t give anybody a reason to support either Newt or Rick Perry amd only helped Obama.

As for the conference of Evangelical leaders endorsing Santorum, it may raise Santorum’s polls, but will do more for Romney across the GOP in general. Which brings me to the tea party movements. After looking like a genuine grass roots movement and delivering a majority in the House, it is beginning to look really inept, this time around. It was able to unite support for conservative candidates, but this time it lead a number of poor candidates to jump in without sufficient preparation and organization only go surge and then ebb after their weaknesses were exposed. The tea party movement damaged its brand by focusing more on the search for the “true conservative” amidst the RINOs and turning into a Not-Romney faction. That’s a reactionary, negative way to approach a campaign. This election will turn on financial issues, not social conservative issues. Polls show the reputation of the tea party movement has become largely bad.

If the GOP wins back the White House it will be more in spite of the fractious tea party claimants’ assumption that they hold the whip hand over the rest of the party and not because of any positive role they have played.

flataffect on January 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM

nonsense!

golfmann on January 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM

The objection is how the Republican Party and Establishment has run this primary. It has been very revealing that the Republican Party does not represent conservatives, so why should conservatives vote for a Republican they did not pick. They resorted to destroying any of the candidates that were surging in the early weeks of the primary. I am not convinced that Romney can beat Obama even with the conservative vote. The Bain attack ads were run to illustrate how Romney would respond and he responded by comparing what he did to what Obama did with GM. His past history running for office does not show him as a winner whatsoever.

I went on our local Tea Party’s facebook yesterday. Our caucus is Feb. 7th and someone posed the question if Romney and Ron Paul were the two frontrunners by then, who would you vote for? I was surprised, because the majority chose Ron Paul. Our Tea Party does not endorse candidates, but maybe it is time for a conservative/libertarian party in this country where independents can choose their own candidate. I’ll bet democrats and republicans alike would flock to it. I plan on changing my registration from Republican to unaffiliated right after the caucus.

lea on January 15, 2012 at 2:10 PM

g2825m on January 15, 2012 at 12:32 PM

MJBrutus on January 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I’m not sure how you missed the point. Gingrich didn’t quite admit his mistake?? But Romney didn’t even come close to doing that much!

Seems that Mitt got a few pinocchios too! What has he said about that?

I really don’t like Gingrich. I don’t know if I like any of them. But I’m really starting to dislike Romney more than any of them, and he’s the guy I voted for in the 2008 primary.

sloopy on January 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Flora Duh on January 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM

FWIW you ain’t so bad :-)

For the most part you aim your guns at the pols more than other posters. And I do respect that you know that any of the candidates will:

a. Get ObamaCare repealed
b. Lower corporate taxes
c. Open up oil and gas exploration

And so, like me, you would vote for any of them over PBHO.

MJBrutus on January 15, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Newt: “It’s very hard for him to differentiate Romneycare from Obamacare.”

People, this is a bald-faced deception, almost on a par with the global warming scam. O & the the R opposition have played this up. No one is saying that RCare is good. But it is a far cry from O_Care.
In a few words: RCare was a tangential intervention that left the private sector & existing med systems fully intact. O-Care is a world of difference, and hurt. It will destroy the private sector, and seriously compromise medicine.
Because Romney is considered to be such a concerned compassionate person, he actually will be in a stronger position to make the case against O_care. All he needs to do is point out the glaring difference between the two, and say that it’s not that he doesn’t care, it that OCare will wreck medicine.
Also, before you make a full judgment, at least check out Mitt in his own words (May) on healthcare: http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2011-05-11-Romney-on-fixing-health-care_n.htm

anotherJoe on January 15, 2012 at 4:27 PM

sloopy on January 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Here again is what I wrote:

I don’t fault Newt for his tactics, he’s playing the game. But come on people, you can’t all have dropped off the same turnip truck!

MJBrutus on January 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM

All of this good guy, bad guy stuff over ads and PACs is political posturing. The pols don’t give a rip if their ads are accurate or not. None of them. They care about winning. And that is what they should care about at this point. Giving out awe-shucks and attaboys over how “nicely” they campaign is naive. Pretending to be the “good” one is simply a ploy and I laugh at those who are gullible enough to not know it.

As a voter what I care about is what they will do should they win and how likely they are to do so and make their plans happen. Supporting a loser won’t make their agenda a reality however much you like what they say. I base my vote on who has the best chance of doing the most good for this nation. There is no question in my mind about who that is and it is why I back Romney.

MJBrutus on January 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM

YOU LIE!

KOOLAID2 on January 15, 2012 at 4:34 PM

haha Thanks. It is actually PM over here for me in Afghanistan and so I am ready to head to bed soon.
g2825m on January 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM

..well, first of all, thank you for your service and may God keep you and your comrades safe.

The War Planner on January 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM

..and bring you all safely home.

The War Planner on January 15, 2012 at 4:36 PM

MJBrutus on January 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM

..another ray of sunshine and reason breaks through the clouds of doom and despair over here in HG.

The War Planner on January 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM

The War Planner on January 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I’m no meteorologist but I predict that in one week we’ll see more clear skies and many more clear eyes :-)

MJBrutus on January 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Oracleforhire on January 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Name-calling candidates is different from name-calling our fellow posters.

Aslans Girl on January 15, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Those who depend on WaPo to evaluate “facts” will always be stupid. GIGO.

For instance, one of the “Pinnochios” they hit Romney with was the claim Newt voted with Pelosi for a bill which provided $60 million to the UN for “family planning” projects which included abortion funding. That is absolutely, 100% true – WaPo’s objection was that it was part of a larger bill sending nearly half a billion to the UN.

You tell me: is the Romney claim untrue, or even misleading?

Adjoran on January 15, 2012 at 6:25 PM

If you think the media seems to be in the tank for Romney, once again you are sorely mistaken. The media is doing everything in it’s power to extend this GOP primary campaign as long as humanly possibly in order to inflict as much damage as possible to the eventual GOP nominee. Of course, this is all done because of their love and admiration for the community organizer. Newt and Perry’s attacks on Romney’s Bain years is one of the biggest political goof-ups in history. So-called conservatives attacking free enterprise? Ronaldus Magnus would be rolling over in his grave.

BabysCatz on January 15, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I’m a Rick Perry supporter, so I’m not carrying water for Romney. However, since the Mormans do observe their Sabbath on Sunday, it’s one legitimate reason why he’s not making the rounds, today. There could be others, as you point out ~ and thanks for the links.

Romney couldn’t believe the audacity of Brett Baier in questioning him on Fox several weeks ago. That was after actually coming out of a long hiding to do an interview. Guy either is scared. Or doesn’t want to lose his lead. I find it all quite slippery….

balkanmom on January 15, 2012 at 10:28 PM