Tony Perkins announces evangelical support for Rick Santorum

posted at 2:30 pm on January 14, 2012 by Tina Korbe

At a major meeting in Texas this weekend, a group of 150 Christian leaders and conservative activists defied expectations and actually managed to coalesce around a single candidate.

Surrogates for Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry, Ron Paul and Rick Santorum (no one for Jon Huntsman) made their pitches; the evangelicals considered them. On Saturday morning, they voted, and the Family Research Council’s Tony Perkins held a call to debrief the media. He saw white smoke.

“What I did not think was possible appears to be possible,” said Perkins. After three rounds of balloting, “there emerged a strong consensus around Rick Santorum as the preferred candidate of this room.” It was a “clear, clear majority.”

Without doubt, this will be a major morale boost for the Santorum campaign — and a blow to the Newt Gingrich and Rick Perry camps — but whether it can morph into something more remains to be seen. Before the meeting, experts doubted that the group of aging activists would be able to alter the race much at this point in the nominating process:

But does the group stand a chance of reshaping the race? There are reasons for doubt: many of the leaders convening in Texas are well past their primes, with declining influence, and the nominating contest is already pretty far along.

One candidate – Mitt Romney – has won the first two contests, in Iowa and New Hampshire, and the South Carolina primary comes just a week after the Texas meeting.

“Some of these evangelical leaders are not as active as they once were in politics and the evangelical movement has changed a little overtime,” says John Green, a political scientist from the University of Akron. “Where this group could have an effect is if they coalesced around one candidate and then helped to provide resources.”

Boots on the ground, phone lists, robocalls, and even the possibility of an evangelical super PAC could move the needle for a candidate, Green said. But the time for such resource-intensive mobilization is growing thin.

Now that the group has demonstrated its ability to do the improbable by coalescing around one guy, it seems possible that they could also do the practical and provide actual, tangible resources to Santorum’s campaign. Maybe they should all board the same plane for South Carolina, where Santorum is far behind in the polls. At the very least, they’ll begin to mobilize their own constituencies for Santorum.

The Christian leaders insist they didn’t meet to brainstorm a way to stop Mitt Romney. One said it was an “anti-Obama meeting,” while another said he’s more concerned to stop Ron Paul than Mitt Romney. It’s obvious they haven’t been overly enthusiastic about Romney’s likely nomination, but Perkins said they didn’t overly discuss the former Massachusetts governor — and that his Mormonism came up not once.

Still, it’s clear they didn’t choose Santorum on the basis of his conservative credentials alone. Perkins said they overlooked Rick Perry, for example, because, while they liked his record, they had concerns about his electability. Santorum’s strong showing in Iowa surely nudged the group in his direction.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

If they don’t make sense to you, blame it on your education, Nancy. :D

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Does your wit hinge on your ability to call someone a name every time? What else do you do, knock the books out of the hands of the geeks in the hallway at work? Light farts? Armpit noises? What?

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I just assume most gay people will hate me because I don’t suck up to them like your average Republican pundit does.

You may want to see a doctor about that crippling paranoia.

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Nobody knows who Zach Wahls is and he’s not the source authority on anything as far as I know.

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 5:11 PM

libfreeordie,

I had a gay roommate in summer school at Clemson university back in 1998.

It was an awkward situation.

He use to handcuff me to bed and take liberties, if you catch my drift.

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Rick Santorum would make a horrible candidate, because he’s whiny and was a pro-union shill in addition to getting Specter for us. He also lost his own district by a huge margin.

That said, he’s right on the homosexual issue.

What no one discusses anymore about this issue are the following:

1. That the decision of the APA to declassify homosexuality as a mental illness was a political decision, driven by, inter alia, GAYPA and pressure from militant homosexual groups.

2. The high percentage (proportional to the percentage of homosexuals in the general population) of homosexual pedophiles. Now, politically motivated hack ‘academics’ play with definitions to change this fact, but they do a poor job. See this for example:

Considering the high percentage of pedophiles who were abused as children, this should have weighed heavily in the whole ‘should we let homosexuals adopt children?’ discussion. Instead, we did what progressives of all stripes like to do and we ‘got something done’, the hell with the consequences.

3. There is no objective, concrete scientific evidence that anyone is born homosexual or that it is genetically based.

And of course, there are the Holiday revelations from several former child actors about how widespread pedophilia is in Hollywood, you know, the same Hollywood that is so quick to promote ‘gay rights’.

The problem in America is we have forgotten the moral basis of our greatness. We not attribute it to the mighty dollar. Perversion is perversion is perversion. Now, cowardly politicians and political commentators (on both sides) will not acknowledge this, and the militant ‘gay’ movement has made great strides as a result. BTW, against the will of the people. Look at the states where ‘gay marriage’ was legalized, and in several cases, it was done against referenda by the people. Others, it was done unilaterally by judges or by legislatures.

avgjo on January 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 5:11 PM

You’re right, he’s a paid actor who pretended to be raised by a lesbian couple in front of the world. You know, occam’s razor and all. Though I have serious doubts you are an engineer at this point, so who knows if you’ll even get that reference.

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Why? Haven’t figured it out? Calling names like were in Jr high? If you wonder why the world doesn’t like you….might have to go look in the mirror.

b1jetmech on January 14, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Got any proof at all that I’m a problem child? Do ya? Good hunting, concern-troll.

Clearly, you’re a leg. All comments from you will be processed with the appropriate consideration.

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I think it’s an invasion of privacy for gay men to be able to stay in a college dorm without letting his roommate know in advance.

If you say this makes you uncomfortable, the gay lobby will attack you as a bigot, homophobe.

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I had a gay roommate in summer school at Clemson university back in 1998.

It was an awkward situation.

He use to handcuff me to bed and take liberties, if you catch my drift.

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Are you telling me you were sexually assaulted? I don’t know if I can believe a word you say, but if that is true that is horrible and I am sorry that it happened to you. It is definitely possible, same-sex sexual assault does occur just as heterosexual rape occurs.

But if you were a woman and the victim of a sexual assault I would still raise an eyebrow if you thought all men were evil for your entire life. I would encourage that woman to seek help, to go to therapy so that she could function in the world. I encourage you to do the same so you can process and move beyond what happened to you. Good luck.

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM

He didn’t specify liberals, just anyone who didn’t support Santorum. That includes me. I have now been accused of not supporting Obama because I’m racist, and not supporting Santorum because I’m an anti-christian bigot. Neither are true.

TedInATL on January 14, 2012 at 4:31 PM

_______________________________________

Lot of people just hate Santy because he’s a Christian and social conservative. It’s intolerance on their part, not his.

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 3:50 PM

_________________________________________

Actually he didn’t. In the post I was responding to, he specified “A lot of people…” Dislike him because he’s Christian and socially conservative.
In my experience of interacting with people that claim fairly well describes the liberal world view. ALL liberals?..No. The vast majority?..based real life experiences with them..yes.

Many of those very same people will parrot the meme of anyone who dislikes Obama have their dislike based in racism.

The difference? The former can be supported by personal experience and observations..both stated in written diatribes and expressed in behavior and interactions.

The latter reside mostly in minds of many liberals as a mindset to support the former.

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM

No, he never raped me.

He could have though, b/c he was bigger than me.

Like i said, awkward sitution. I’m a good looking man and gay dudes are in to me.

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Well, because, by definition that is homophobia. The discomfort that someone feels if paired with a gay roomate is fear. Now a young person at the age of 18 who is experiencing homophobia shouldn’t be demonized, but it is what it is. And they can always request that the roomate be changed. But, if you are the victim of a sexual assault I’m dropping the issue now. I’m not a licensed therapist and am not equipped to counsel you through your recovery. Good luck to you.

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 5:19 PM

We’ve heard for weeks that Ron Paul’s idiot brigade had to be listened to because of his showing in the primaries. And that holds true when it comes to some of Paul’s themes of smaller government and respect for the Constitution but not his anti-military isolationist racist homophobic agenda. The only real difference between a Paul Supporter and the OWS crowd is that the OWS individual sleeps with rats and the Paulite supports one.

Santorum will never become the GOP nominee for President but this endorsement plants a flag that the GOP nominee can not ignore. Campaigns do indeed require huge dollars from supporters but they are still won or lost by grassroots support. GWB won a second term by the grassroots. John McCain lost because the grassroot support was simply not there despite the last minute addition of Sarah Palin.

This is not a social issues election. It is all about jobs and the economy for good reason. Yet, this endorsement is important. There is a good portion of the right who can agree on the views of Santorum. Centrists like Romney ignore this fact at their own risk with the added consequence that Americans get another four years of an unabashed socialist anti-Christian bastard.

Happy Nomad on January 14, 2012 at 5:19 PM

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 5:10 PM

This thread is simply overflowing with hypocrisy. Amazing!

I’m looking forward to more of your impressive logic. Please deliver the golden lesson plan, Professor. I’m waiting for an amazing enlightenment!

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 5:19 PM

He use to handcuff me to bed and take liberties, if you catch my drift.

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM

No, he never raped me.

He could have though, b/c he was bigger than me.

Oh, I get it. You’re a lying assh*le. Thanks for clarifying. Peace out! McDuck, this one’s all yours.

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 5:20 PM

libfreeordie,

I had a gay roommate in summer school at Clemson university back in 1998.

It was an awkward situation.

He use to handcuff me to bed and take liberties, if you catch my drift.

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Now I’m almost convinced that you are just totally joking with us. I find it hard to believe that anyone who had been violated in that way would word it the way you did. You don’t say that the person who assaulted you took “liberties, if you catch my drift.”

McDuck on January 14, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I would be just as uncomfortable sharing a small dorm room with a female who I wasn’t dating.

So it’s not homophobia, it’s about an invasion of privacy. There’s a erason why they don’t place men and women in the same dorm room….sexual attraction. Gay men = straight women and thus should be disqualified for living in male dorm.

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 5:20 PM

McDuck,

Nobody’s more deadly serious about gay issues than me. I’m the Sodomy Summit idea guy, remember/

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Yes, and please remind me which Republican controlled state legislatures are pushing for gay civil unions? And the “sacrament of marriage” would not be any more redefined than it already is. Some churches already perform same-sex marriages even in states where same-sex marriage is not legally acknowledged. You seem to forget that every “marriage” is a legal civil union with the *option* of going to the church to engage in the cultural ritual of marriage. Its a distinction without a difference. But no one is fooled. Republicans are not advocating for civil unions, are not passing civil union laws without major pressure from the left. If they were they would have a shred of legitimacy on this issue.

Well great.
You agree with me….aaaaand then start riffing on the exact opposite.

The only ones “pushing” anything, are the gay marriage advocates, and what they’re pushing is “marriage”.
The representatives will only respond to things that are presented to them with the loudest voice….that why lobbying is so popular.
In that vein..it is the responsibility of the gay advocates to push for civil unions in place of marriage. How many (including yourself) are?
Why is that?

That said…why are gay advocates so hung up on the sex part of what constitutes marriage..i.e “where a man like to stick his you know what”?
Its always about sex with liberals. Why do you suppose that is??

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM
_______________________________________________
Why don’t you look at the comment form Dr. Tesla that I was responding to when I talked about sticking body parts where. He was the first to bring up explicit sex acts. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you just didn’t see it and not that you are a massive hypocritical jerk.

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Why so touchy?
That said..the point I was responding to was the implied importance of ‘something’ somewhere.

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 5:28 PM

SC CNN/IPSOS POLL

Mitt 37
Paul 16
Santorum 16
Gingrich 12

hmmm..

gatorboy on January 14, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Many suffering in hell are the tragic result of this unbiblical gospel (ie, Mormonism).

apocalypse on January 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM

This moronic BS is why religious freaks need to be muzzled or better yet put into camps.

Your Mamma loves me on January 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM

God’s Army will keep telling the truth DESPITE Nazi’s like you.

apocalypse on January 14, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I don’t believe Romney is going to win by 20 plus points in SC. That poll is nonsense.

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 5:31 PM

No one chooses their sexual orientation. And, to say that the only ethical behavior of someone who is homosexual must be healed or remain celibate isn’t realistic.

SC.Charlie on January 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Does that also go for being stupid too?

Shain1611 on January 14, 2012 at 5:34 PM

While working as campaign manager for Louisiana state legislator Woody Jenkins in 1996, Tony Perkins paid former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard David Duke $82,000 for his mailing list, and then tried to hide involvement with Duke, sending payment to Duke through a third party. The campaign was fined $3,000 for trying to hide the payment.
true or false?

borntoraisehogs on January 14, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Huckabee had another forum today. It’ll be on tv tonight. All the candidates except Paul were there. I think these forums are a far superior format to that of the msm debates.

juliesa on January 14, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I agree …salute!

apocalypse on January 14, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Romney will legitimize Mormonism if he wins. The Christians in this country will not allow it

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

This is the second time your inability to read has caused you to put your foot squarely in your mouth. If a man and a woman choose to get married and are biologically infertile, nothing stops them from getting married. Why not?

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Not really.
This is the second time you missed the point of the post…possibly blinded by your bias imo.

I was not addressing the specific framework of the claim expressed in the quoted post by you.

That tailored view does not address my point, which was that your cliam of discrimination against gays in marriage rights is bogus.

Simple question:
Can two heterosexual people of the same sex get married or are they in an identical position as a gay couple as far as legality and benefits etc goes?
It really is a yes or no question.
Where is the ‘discrimination’ based on sexual preference?

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Now you’re just getting silly.
Your Christianophobia is showing.

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Idiot. Just confirming that Evangelical “leaders” (I’m an Evangelical, btw) love Big Government just as much as the Democrats, but only if they’re the ones in control of it. Again, idiot.

Christians should be for small, limited, local government — not only because we believe we should govern ourselves and not have Big Brother tell us what to do, not only because it’s what the Founders wnated and it’s Constutional, not only because it’s the ONLY FORM OF GOVERNMENT THAT WORKS, but because, moral people will not always be in charge! Big Government changes hands ans sometimes it lands in evil hands like Obama.

And on another note, Santorum CANNOT beat Obama. Don’t these people think strategy? Not only do I think Santorum’s wrong on policy, but he can’t even win. The Bible teaches us to be “gentle as doves, but wise as serpents“, this is not “wise”. The Bible is full of war generals, this is not strategic.

Furthermore, I don’t like Christian “leaders” choosing winners and losers amongst Christian candidates. Santorum and Newt are Catholic, Perry and Paul are protestant. Christian “leaders” shouldn’t act like some are more Christian than others.

Christian “leaders” disappointed me in ’07 regarding amnesty. And they disappoints again today.

Ugh.

On a happier note, they are not nearly as influential as they think they are. Christians are independent, go against the flow kind of people. We have had to be in our culture, so we’re used to it. I’ve been a born-again Christian since I was eleven, for years only Christian TV and radio were allowed in the house, I was home-schooled, yet often these lists of “leaders” come out and I don’t recognize the names. How influential can they be?

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM

true or false?

borntoraisehogs on January 14, 2012 at 5:35 PM

These religious conservative activist types aren’t as pure as the driven snow? Say it ain’t so!!

gatorboy on January 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Romney will legitimize Mormonism if he wins.

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Keep speaking truth! Salute

apocalypse on January 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Gays are well known for being practical jokesters. I’m the kind of guy they like to target, for obvious reasons.

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Maybe they target you because you’re a blatent gay baiter; Over the past few weeks, ALL you do is get on threads and dump your anti-gay rhetoric all over it. EVERY SINGLE TIME. One night recently, you asked at least four of us if we were gay, (in a very rude manner) because you assumed that was the only reason we could possibly hold the views we had. Seems to me, you’re the one with the unresolved gay feelings.

BettyRuth on January 14, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I had a gay roommate in summer school at Clemson university back in 1998.

It was an awkward situation.

He use to handcuff me to bed and take liberties, if you catch my drift.

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Oh my god! At Clemson, in summer of 1998, I used to handcuff my roommate to the bed and tea bag him. We should hook up this summer.

thuja on January 14, 2012 at 5:55 PM

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Is Romney legitimizing Mormonism worse than Obama legitimizing a liberal Christianity that is tantamount to atheism?

(Not all liberal Christianity is atheism. I’m just claiming Obama’s is–just as Ann Coulter has suggested.)

thuja on January 14, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Cast as Romney’s Victim, Gaffney South Carolina Says, ‘Huh?’

Gov. Rick Perry of Texas picked up the theme this week, calling Mr. Romney a “vulture capitalist” and pointing to Gaffney as an example of the depths to which Mr. Romney will stoop to make a profit.

There is a problem, though. Here in Gaffney, where deeply held Christian beliefs often matter more than jobs, few remember the Holson Burnes photo album plant, let alone the devastation its closing is alleged to have caused back in 1992.

“I have been here all my life,” said Ed Elliott, who sells insurance. “I’m 59 years old, and I’ve never heard of the plant.”

That Bain’s actions carry little resonance in a community whose woes have been seized on by presidential candidates testifies to the impact of the campaigns’ opposition research and their willingness to exploit a convenient storyline. Here in Gaffney, the focus is a little embarrassing for residents who do not know what all the fuss is about.

“Nobody here really cares about that. It wasn’t a big deal,” Mr. Sossamon said. Others are similarly mystified.

That is not to say the loss of any job does not matter here. This city of 12,000 people has been brought to its knees first by the loss of the agricultural sector and then by the slow collapse of the textile industry. But there is work to be had. The photo album plant that was abandoned by Bain soon became home to a Bic pen factory that employs 80 people.

Nestlé has a large factory here, where a thousand workers make frozen dinners and other packaged food. The Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation, with 500 employees, fashions chassis for school buses and mobile homes. About 700 people work at Timken producing steel roller bearings.

“We’re not Appalachia here,” Mr. Elliott said. “We’re not in poverty.”

oops….

haner on January 14, 2012 at 6:03 PM

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

thuja on January 14, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I apologize for posting this. I thought I was responding to an anti-Mormon bigot, and not to an anti-Christian bigot. I would delete this post if I could.

thuja on January 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM

The Pharisees wanted Jesus Christ to be a political leader and free their people from the yoke of Rome, but He wasn’t interested. In my opinion if a man feels led by the Lord to spread the gospel he should stick to that task and stay out of politics; the power of the gospel never has been, and never will be, manifested through political means.

kg598301 on January 14, 2012 at 6:05 PM

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

What does it say about who the left is afraid to run against Obama when the liberals are resorting to trashing Romney because of his religion?

V7_Sport on January 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I’ll never eat at another Perkins pancake house again!

Stay out of my condiments you mini-mullahs!

profitsbeard on January 14, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Obama will legitimize Jeremiah Wright if he wins. The patriots in this country will not allow it

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Fixed.

V7_Sport on January 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I couln’t agree more! I was so disgusted with the Republican party when the “Religious Right” took over, was hoping that ship had sailed for good!

kg598301 on January 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM

BettyRuth on January 14, 2012 at 5:53 PM

In your opinion, is there a difference between having a stand against gay “marriage” and being “anti gay”?
Just curious.

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM

This is vile. Just thought you should know.

McDuck on January 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Every single comment by that one has been vile.

katy the mean old lady on January 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM

thuja on January 14, 2012 at 5:58 PM

explain how liberal Christianity is atheism.

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Now you’re just getting silly.
Your Christianophobia is showing.

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 5:42 PM

How is this “Christiano-phobia”

Mormonism is NOT Christianity. That is the truth.

It is just like saying a man is not a woman.

There is clear day and night between Mormonism and Christianity. Joseph smith was a polygamist false prophet who wrote a book (book of Mormons) full of lies. He was not inspired by God only inspiration he had was from the devil.

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Just curious.

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Of course there’s a difference between the two; I don’t oppose gay marriage in principle, but I think the logistics of actually doing it are pretty overwhelming, and the implementation of it would probably cause all kinds of unintended consequences. This Tesla person drops the gay card into conversations the way Liberals drop the race card, and then proceeds to inflame his comments with each post. It’s freakish.

BettyRuth on January 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM

How is this “Christiano-phobia”

Mormonism is NOT Christianity. That is the truth.

It is just like saying a man is not a woman.

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM

LOL

Cool story, bro.

Good Lt on January 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM

avgjo on January 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Good post imo. Thanks.

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I think the most thing to consider in a President is that he be an honorable man–like George Washington or Abraham Lincoln. It seems to me that Rick Santorum best meets that requirement. I think maybe Tim Pawlenty did, as well. Sarah Palin does also. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

LL1960 on January 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM

To clarify my post: Christians don’t really have “leaders” we are not a monolith. We don’t vote lock-step, especially in the primaries. My point about Christians being independent and go-against-the-flow, was about how we think for ourselves and don’t let so-called “leaders” tell us what to do.

A case in point would be the amnesty debate a few years ago: the majority of “Christian leaders” supported it, yet the majority of Americans (mostly Christian per the polls) were against it.

American “Christian leaders” remind me of the Catholics of South America who love communism. Big Government Christians. It’s not Biblical, though.

Aslans Girl on January 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM

BettyRuth on January 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Thanks for the response.
A lot of times..at least it seems.. that people will say things like..”I don’t agree with that at all…but“. This is just a way of saying “I do agree with that..but don’t want to deal with it, so I’ll say I don’t”.

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Most likely they will back Santorum. Outside chance they’ll try to salvage Perry. None of the other choices make sense to me for this group, although I believe they will (not necessarily enthusiastically) support whomever the eventual nominee is. Especially if the nominee selects a running mate that they like.

acasilaco on January 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

8-)

acasilaco on January 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM

LL1960 on January 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I agree. Unfortunately, in the past 3-4 decades things like honor, integrity and faith have been ridiculed out of the debate, in favor of who has the best con and ideological strategy.
Lies, backstabbing, slander and effective methods of humiliation seem to be the new currency

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM

How is this “Christiano-phobia”

Mormonism is NOT Christianity. That is the truth.

It is just like saying a man is not a woman.

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM

None of that makes much sense.
Christianity is an belief in a purpose in life and values and whatever means of selfless devotion one can honestly muster in the faith that shortcoming will be forgiven.
Catholic
Protestant
Mormon
Lutheran, etc, are religious paths.
All include Christ in their teachings.
There are many rooms in the temple.

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

MormonismPauline Christianity is NOT Jesus’ Christianity. That is the truth.

It is just like saying a man is not a woman.

There is clear day and night between Mormonism Pauline Christianity and the original ChristiaNity of Jesus. Joseph smith The pseudo-”apostle” Paul [Saul] was a polygamist false prophet who wrote a book (book of Mormons The Acts of the Apostles) full of lies. He was not inspired by God only inspiration he had was from the devil.

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Arugue this case, which has been made for centuries that Paul invented “Crosstianity”, a complete distortion of the original doctrine preached by Jesus, and continued by his brother James in Jerusalem until that true line and real church of Christ was extinguished during the Roman conquest, the destruction of the Temple, and the diaspora of the Jews.

profitsbeard on January 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Pat Robertson endorsed Guiliani last time. Didn’t make Christians vote lock-step for Guiliani, now did it? Huckabee was a pastor last cycle, didn’t make him the nominee, though, did it? Christians are like herding cats. And I personally don’t like being told who to vote for by so-called “leaders”.

There are only two truly small-government candidates this year, Perry and Paul. Paul is crazy and hates Israel (not something Christians agree with). So Perry is the logical choice. But if “Christian leaders” don’t want small government, then they are out of step.

Aslans Girl on January 14, 2012 at 7:07 PM

LL1960 on January 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM

But, there are other candidates who are “honorable” men this primary and it’s rotten for “leaders” to tell us that one is more “honorable” than another.

I personally think serving in the military is “honorable”, yet Santorum did not serve.

Aslans Girl on January 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM

heh, it started, the liberal attack on mormonism!

nathor on January 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM

profitsbeard on January 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM

wow, you really, believe that? its so nice to find an heretic in HA!

nathor on January 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM

LL1960

Jimmy Carter (in 1976) was an honorable man. He couldn’t do the job. He was weak and ineffectual. George W. Bush is an honorable man, but he was not a fiscal conservative. He became part of the problem.

I wish that were enough. Washington DC is going need someone who has steel spine.

jazzuscounty on January 14, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Tony Perkins?

He was great in that Alfred Hitchcock movie with the shower scene.

I thought he died.

This ought to be a real boost for Santorum among fans of Hitchcook!

Horace on January 14, 2012 at 7:33 PM

It seems like whenever a bunch of evangelical hucksters get together under the euphemism “conservative leaders,” they emerge with an endorsement of Rick Santorum that’s only relevant insofar as it reaffirms the delusion of social-first conservatives.

They could have had one of three or four candidates. Instead, they refused to actually pick a candidate who could win, so they’re all the way down to supporting Gingrich or Romney or defaulting to Romney. So they default to Romney.

You realize Mitt isn’t going to give you guys credit for helping him get nominated if you do it by default, right?

HitNRun on January 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Well, that does it, Santorum wins. Everyone will vote for whom Tony Perkins and his holy associates support.

SC.Charlie on January 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM

None of that makes much sense.
Catholic
Protestant
Mormon
Lutheran, etc, are religious paths.
All include Christ in their teachings.
There are many rooms in the temple.

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

This is actually false.
Christianity is the belief that Jesus, the only son of God died for our sins so that we can have salvation through him. Jesus was born through divine intervention not a physical one like the crazy Mormons believe.

Jesus is NOT the spirit brother of Lucifer. Jesus is God and Lucifer is a fallen angel who rebelled against him.

Mormons on the other hand believe Jesus was married with wives.
I have been reading the book of Mormon lately and the shock in my eyes when I read it is astonishing. It goes against everything I was taught in Sunday school

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Well Mormons are not Christians so this would make sense

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Liberals aren’t human, so this comment makes sense.

cartooner on January 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Wow, and the three right after yours…hit him better than me.
If this was a snowball fight…L4l would be a snowman already!

KOOLAID2 on January 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Just got back from an afternoon at church. (catching up now-and saw the comment above one I just posted) You went to sunday school?
Get out! New religion? What cult?

KOOLAID2 on January 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Good ole South Carolina GOP primaries! The only things that matter are teh gays and abortion. Lol! Every friggin time…..

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

It goes against everything I was taught in Sunday school

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM

So does ranting “damn America” from the pulpit but you support that guy.

V7_Sport on January 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Excuse me? I am a person of deep faith and I have a place in the Republican Party.

Just because I don’t base everything in my life on social conservatism doesn’t make any less conservative or any less a person of faith than anybody else.

gophergirl on January 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM

You go girl! There is no reason on earth not to respect your position on this.

BettyRuth on January 14, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I agree with GG.
Twerp out.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

He use to handcuff me to bed and take liberties, if you catch my drift.

No, he never raped me.
He could have though, b/c he was bigger than me.
Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012

Well that sounds like you just admitted to allowing a same sex encounter and letting him take liberties then in a comments thread. Well done to you. Santorum Christian leaders thread no less.

I’m a newb, but come on, that’s gotta be the thread winner right there.

Boomer_Sooner on January 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 5:19 PM

You’re a charmer. Have fun here. Again.

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

lol

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM

You’re a charmer. Have fun here. Again.

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Right back at ya, sweetheart….;)

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Would someone mind shooting an email to AP asking to ban this obvious troll? I’d do it, but I think it would lack credibility.

RightOFLeft on January 14, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Thats how you deal with people you disagree with? Get them banned?

I think you are in the wrong country if you believe in that

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM

You have not come out of your moms basement to ‘disagree’ with anyone.
You just come out to aggravate. The type that likes to get two factions to fight and screams FIGHT! FIGHT!…then turns and runs when the actual fight starts. As a kid, I see you throwing a snowball at a car during the first snowfall, and when the driver stops…pointing to a kid walking down the street…or pulling the hair of a little girl sitting in front of you in class, and when she starts crying pointing to the kid next to you, for the teacher to discipline. As an adult, you are the type of person I would probably like to poundthesh!toutof, but you would run back to mom’s basement.

KOOLAID2 on January 14, 2012 at 8:21 PM

All of you superstitiotus nutbags should keep it to yourself, study Constitutional law, and learn the meaning of duty; That which is owed.

borntoraisehogs on January 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Mormons on the other hand believe Jesus was married with wives.

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM

That belief is inherent in all the factions of religions of Christianity..including Mormonism. In my reference, Christianity is the following of the teachings of Jesus. What you stated is a given.

I know next to nothing about Mormonism, and the specifics of any faction of Christianity is, to me, a form of idiosyncrasy, and not very important.
Where does Jesus fit in Mormonism..as far as the salvation through Jesus is concerned? Do they reject it?

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Gingrich supporters began grumbling late Saturday afternoon that the previous votes had been much closer and that the reason there were only 114 votes cast at an event attended by about 150 people was because some of their supporters had already left before the third and final ballot.

“How did the story become 100% consensus?” asked one attendee, noting that the second ballot showed Santorum defeating Gingrich 59%-41%. “The impression being fed to the media is not an honest assessment of the conservative evangelical meeting at Pressler Ranch that I attended. Was there a separate meeting I missed?”

Now there is a moral procedure. Care enough to distort the very best!

Truizm on January 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Right back at ya, sweetheart….;)

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Can you match four Aces?

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM

None of that makes much sense.
Catholic
Protestant
Mormon
Lutheran, etc, are religious paths.
All include Christ in their teachings.
There are many rooms in the temple

Wow…where the hell did you get your theology degree…please don’t say it was from a “Catholic” University…although I would believe it.

ironmarshal on January 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM

borntoraisehogs on January 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM

What are you going on about?
I’m working on a project and have just checked back into the thread. I recall another post you made that seemed off topic..something about a bride or something??..now one about constitutional law, and a broad brush criticism of people posting.
Are you posting in the wrong thread or am I missing your point?

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM

borntoraisehogs

$82,000 for a Klan mailing list?

A lot of bucks for half a page of rural box numbers.

Horace on January 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM

profitsbeard on January 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM

One could also argue that Paul made it all up, and that Jesus was a fictional character.

Count to 10 on January 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM

All of you superstitiotus (sic) nutbags (sic) should keep it to yourself, study Constitutional law, and learn the meaning of duty; That which is owed.

borntoraisehogs on January 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Funny, fellow brothers and sister of the faith are telling me much the same thing here on Hot Air.

Although I’m not sure you’re talking about owing anyone. What duty?

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM

sisters …

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Count to 10

One could also argue that Suetonius made it all up and the twelve Caesars were fictional characters.

But he didn’t, and neither did St. Paul.

Horace on January 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Count to 10 on January 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM

its my take too.

nathor on January 14, 2012 at 8:34 PM

But he didn’t, and neither did St. Paul.

Horace on January 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM

how can you be so sure, considering the all the forgeries and gnostic sects that were popular in the time.

nathor on January 14, 2012 at 8:36 PM

b1jetmech on January 14, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Ya know, it really pains me to acknowledge this kind of thing, but I will:

I disagree with your politics, so you attempt to paint me as so stupid as to be at junior high-school level.

I disagree with your politics, so you attempt to gas-light me into believing the world doesn’t like me.

I’m fine looking in the mirror every morning, chief. Ya might check your own program sometime, ya f@cking hypocrite.

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Mimzey on January 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM

1.Mormons believe you have to “work” for salvation False Romans 4:5 says that salvation comes to those who do not work for salvation, but believe on Jesus Christ instead!
Which means if you accept Jesus as your lord and savior you are given salvation free of charge. There is no work to be done. Jesus has already paid the price by dieing on the cross

2. Mormons believe there is no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith as a prophet of God, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, p. 188.

Problem is Joseph Smith was not of God he was of the devil

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Can you match four Aces?

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Dude, you are seriously over-reaching……stop embarrassing yourself.

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM

liberal4life on January 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM

When mormons fly planes into buildings in the name of Joseph Smith and start demanding that I become mormon and pray facing SLC or they will kill or enslave me and mine…then I’ll worry about the nitty-gritty of what they believe. Mitt’s mormonism shouldn’t even be an issue-unlike his being the father of Masscare.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Dude, you are seriously over-reaching……stop embarrassing yourself.

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Why are you being a dick? Don’t you understand what I’m asking?

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Srlsy? 313th MI BN, dick-munch…..

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Srlsy? 313th MI BN, dick-munch…..

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM

What’s your problem? It was a friendly question. You just get off being harsh?

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM

What’s your problem? It was a friendly question. You just get off being harsh?

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Uh huh. Given your history, I’ll reserve that assertion…..also: Nice try, leg.

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Uh huh. Given your history, I’ll reserve that assertion…..also: Nice try, leg.

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Pays better up front. Just saying. But whatever trooper. Have a nice evening.

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Uh huh. Given your history,
MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM

BTW, one thread of comments isn’t a lot of history.

Unless …

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I forgot Tony Perkins and his ties to the KKK. Avoid him.

CoolChange80 on January 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Pays better up front. Just saying. But whatever trooper. Have a nice evening.

hawkdriver on January 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Common ground? Calling me “trooper” may have done it, chief. That means a lot to me. Thanks!!!! And I apologize for being harsh earlier. That wasn’t okay.

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM