Open thread: Are you ready for the Huckabee South Carolina presidential forum?

posted at 7:15 pm on January 14, 2012 by Allahpundit

8 p.m. ET on Fox News. Actually, it’s too late to get ready: They taped it this afternoon. But here’s your thread in case you’re one of the three people in America who’s watching this tonight instead of the final battle of good and evil in Foxboro. The best reason to tune in, in fact, isn’t the candidates’ answers but rather to see how the GOP’s class warrior of Campaign 2008 handles the questioning on Bain. Remember when he used to say of Romney, “Americans want a president who looks like the guy they work with, not the guy who laid them off?” Apparently he’s warming up to the idea of the latter:

Romney has come under a lot of fire for Bain Capital’s investments in some companies that were then scaled down with layoffs to become profitable. That’s been demonized thoroughly by the media as corporate raiding, But it’s surprising to see so many Republicans embrace that leftwing argument against capitalism. It’s terrible for the workers who lose their jobs, and nobody likes to see viable companies looted and destroyed. But if downsizing can turn around a failing company, then at least it prevents all the jobs from being lost, and it sets up a stronger company that can grow and start rehiring. The term for this among people who aren’t hostile to capitalism is “creative destruction.” Bad companies have to die to make way for stronger companies, in the same way that old trees fall over to make way for new trees. The other alternative, the Obama way, is to use vast amounts of taxpayer money to prop up companies that are failing in the marketplace. Sometimes, with a big enough cash transfusion, they survive, like GM. Other times, all the money in the world can’t stop them from going belly-up and losing all their jobs, like Solyndra. But at least when a company that’s bought out by investors goes bankrupt, the money that’s lost was voluntarily invested, not taken from taxpayers at gunpoint.

Watching Mike Huckabee get indignant on behalf of Mitt Romney over a blue-collar attack on Wall Street would be a television moment made of pure spun gold. Especially since stories like this are just now starting to appear in South Carolina newspapers.

Rep. Tim Scott is co-moderating, so there’s another reason to watch: You’re likely to get some tea-party-flavored questions, possibly involving RomneyCare, that you won’t get at the Fox News debate on Monday or the CNN debate on Thursday. Feel free to use this as a thread for the forum or for the big game. Here’s some video to put you in the mood for either, or both.

Update: Oh my:

At a forum hosted by Mike Huckabee with 800 undecided South Carolina Republicans, Newt Gingrich was loudly booed when he criticized Mitt Romney’s record at Bain Capital, according to a Republican who attended the closed-press event.

“They were really angry,” said the attendee. The forum will be aired on Fox News tonight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I am actually now trying to get a contract job secondary to my current job and plan to work part time at my full time job and full time at the contract until things get back to where they should be.

astonerii on January 14, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I understand.
For me, it strengthen my chances of finding employment or clients when you spread your talents around..
Gets you name out there…
6 months ago I had to pick between two jobs….both wanted to hire me…Both potential jobs came from inside people I had worked with before in two different jobs in the last 3 years..

Electrongod on January 14, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Aizen on January 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Its the only one i watch also besides local and perhaps I was out of line in using the lefts name for them.
Actually the Fox business channel is better than Fox these days. The judge and Stossel are kind of in the Ron Paul wing but i really feel I get better info there that from the mouth pieces OReally, Whorealdo, Shep and even Hannity sometimes. Still love Brett Baier and Gretta.

ConcealedKerry on January 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM

As an undecided voter, I learned a lot from this forum. I’ve learned that Jim Huntsman would really make a very good used car salesman, Mittens Romney is so well rehearsed because he’s had so much practice running for the office, Santorum looks a bit hefty in that sweater vest and should probably lose a couple of pounds, Newt is the frumpy history professor I yearned for many years ago in college, and Rick Perry is a loveable goofball.

Yep, still undecided.

NOMOBO on January 14, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I want someone with a proven effective conservative governing record and good plans. Texas didn’t gain a republican majority till 2010 when Perry led an historic sweep in both houses.

workingclass artist on January 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Go Perry!
Perry nailed it tonight. Calling out Governor Haley three times was masterful. He addressed all of the current issues facing SC and truly hammered them home. An absolute masterful job. Closing statement was lackluster though. Monday and Thursday night he needs to keep this momentum going. He needs to emphasize the 1,000,000 jobs he helped to create in Texas while the rest of the country was losing jobs. Do what he did tonight and emphasize the job creation over the next week and he will be in the top three coming out of SC. This race is just beginning…
Remember, Romney only has 10 delegates thus far and Perry has 3. Texas is winner take all with 155 delegates. God Bless you Governor Perry. Keep it up this week. The comeback has officially started!

dacoach on January 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Though they are better than MSDNC, CNN and the alphabets, FOX lost their claim to “fair and balanced” a while ago when, to a certain extent, they fed into the “Governor Walker is a union-buster” mantra.

Flora Duh on January 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I don’t know what you were watching but it wasn’t FNC. Maybe you were watching local FOX.

redridinghood on January 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM

ConcealedKerry on January 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM

By the time I get home from class, the Infobabe Megyn Kelly is on, and she’s got some fine legs.

I like Bret, Greta, and Cavuto, as well.

Aizen on January 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Yea perhaps calling them Faux is over the line. I just hate when ANY media does that stuff and as far as my guy? Its whoever survives.
Survival of the fittest. Steel sharpens steel and ultimately the voters will decide.
They decided on a very poor excuse of a human last time and I fear they could do the same again if all are not fully and completely vetted.
Obamas thugs will find dirt, make up dirt, shovel dirt and try to bury our candidate in dirt. Its all hes’ got.
Ok Buddy?

ConcealedKerry on January 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Ok. It’s all good. I don’t like the tack to the middle Fox has undergone in the last couple of years either, but I still think they are the maginot line against a media that would be all-Obama-cheerleading, 24 hours a day.

And I’m with you on Anyone But Obama. I was talking to my fairly conservative 75-year-old mother today, and she brings up Ron Paul: “You know, if it came down to him being the candidate, I’d vote for him,” she said. “I’d vote for any of them.” I thought that was pretty astonishing, because my brother, her son, is career Army. Served two tours in Iraq. But she would vote for Ron Paul! And my mom is not at all religious — hates religious zealots (I suppose that’s where I get it), so I said, “Would you vote for the Ricks?” “Oh yes,” she said. “I think either one would be a great president.” I just thought it illustrated how committed many conservatives are to getting rid of Obama, even if they aren’t too terribly committed to anyone in the GOP field. I saw this on another site today: This is not a “Vote-For” election. This is a “Vote-Against” election. This is not a “Sit-It-Out-And-Pout” election. This is a “Get-Obama-Out” election. That is what it is about and that is all it is about. I couldn’t agree more.

Rational Thought on January 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM

For what it’s worth I think Perry would have a hard time winning the primary in Texas. That should tell you all you need to know about Rick Perry.

tpw on January 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Still love Brett Baier and Gretta.

ConcealedKerry on January 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Two of my favorites. I follow both of them on Twitter. Greta tweets all day long asking her followers to chime in on news stories. And Bret is one of the most personable news “personalities” on Twitter, almost always answering questions and interacting with his followers. Matter of fact, he’s still asking people to tweet questions they would like to have the candidates answer during Monday’s debate to @BretBaier.

Flora Duh on January 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Go Perry!

dacoach on January 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Yeah he was great…In his closing he asked the for their vote. He’s been great on the stump and is getting good local coverage. This blogger has been covering his campaign.

workingclass artist on January 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM

tpw on January 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Against Romney?

Now you’re makin me laugh

workingclass artist on January 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Perry needs to make Katon Dawson his Chief of Staff. He really prepped him well for SC. Together they have the absolute correct game plan for SC. Perry will be in a position to take SC next Saturday. Mark January 14th 2012 on your calendar. It is the day that Governor Perry began the greatest comeback in modern political history. Bank on it!

dacoach on January 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

redridinghood on January 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Read my comment at 10:36 PM. And I don’t watch any of my local stations. The local FOX affiliate is as bad as ABC or CBS when it comes to licking Obama’s boots.

Flora Duh on January 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Aizen on January 14, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Hey, what do I know? I went “all in” for Jeepers Pawlenty, so I don’t really have a horse in this race til the General. My husband is four-square behind Alouishus Huntsman, so we have the joy of mocking each other just for sport. May the best candidate win.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I couldn’t agree more.

Rational Thought on January 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM

AGREED! I will walk barefoot across broken glass to vote against Obama, no matter how hard I have to hold my nose, close my eyes and clinch my cheeks.

Its just that that is what I did last time and I fear the Repunk Establishment depend on that.

In this case though the possible supreme court appointments alone mandate ridding ourselves of the usurper.

ConcealedKerry on January 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

T-Paw? Aw, come on.

That’s just brutal.

Aizen on January 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Flora Duh on January 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Wow thanks a million for that I just started on twitter and had not even thought of these two. I will add them now. I have Forbes, Newt, Trump and a few others but Brett and Gretta will be great.

ConcealedKerry on January 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

dacoach on January 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Kayton Dawson is awesome.

“Though before a largely receptive crowd Perry was asked the electability question by one audience member who noted “a local paper” endorsed Romney because it said he is the most electable.

“The pundits, the newspaper editorial boards, the establishment doesn’t decide who is going to be the next president, you do,” Perry responded.”

workingclass artist on January 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Aizen on January 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM

LOL! I’m “outed” as a T-Paw Girl. But it’s okay. Not hating anyone makes it easy to vote for any one of the Repubs, with no exceptions.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

ConcealedKerry on January 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Here’s a list of all the FOX anchors and reporters I follow.

Flora Duh on January 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Voter ID law is a huge issue in SC. Perry is the only one to bring it up and deliver. Not only does it tie directly into SC but the national stage as well. Bravo Governor Perry!

dacoach on January 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Oops! Sorry to have outed you.

Well, I make no bones about my dislike of Romney, but I’m still going to vote for whoever the GOP nominee is, and I’ll deal with the RINOs later on.

Part of me is glad I couldn’t vote last election cycle because I doubt I could’ve voted for McCain. *shudders*

Aizen on January 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Aizen on January 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM
I take it you are young and I congratulate you for being here and engaged. I think the college age generation is more conservative than us oldsters give them credit for. many of my sons friends are conservative and they have joined the military in record numbers.
Another reason to not marginalize Ron Paul voters they are young and conservative in many respects.
The challenge is to motivate the college age young adults to get out to vote. I bring my son with me or order absentee ballots.

ConcealedKerry on January 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Aizen on January 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM

It’s kinda liberating. Now I can shout to the world, “I am not ashamed of my TPaw Orientation, and I would choose the TPaw Lifestyle again if given the chance. So there!”

Re: McCain or Romney voting, after years of closing my eyes and picking “that one”, it doesn’t hurt nearly so bad that the “best one” (TPaaaaaaawww) is not among one’s choices.

Oh well, since everyone’s mum on Good v. Evil football game, it must be a bloodbath. Gonna go check it out. Cheers!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

ConcealedKerry on January 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Yes, I’m very young, and despite how the media tries to portray it, young people in general are NOT liberal. It’s just that the youngsters on the conservative side sat out in ’08 because they didn’t feel enthused by the GOP.

The age of the candidate is completely irrelevant, btw, but McCain was by no means an enthusiasm-generating candidate. I’m not a diehard Ron Paul fan, but nearly of all my college pals support him because of the economic issues he constantly speaks about. It’s not even about legalizing pot and/or gambling that attracts young people to Paul, it’s the Fed/monetary issue that so many young people are concerned about, and unfortunately, Paul is one of the few who actually talks about it on the conservative side.

Of course, I prefer Huntsman because his foreign policy isn’t Ron Paul’s, and his record is actually more conservative than Romney’s and Santorum’s, but I’d end up voting for whoever the GOP nominee is, anyway.

Aizen on January 14, 2012 at 11:35 PM

It has been so long ago I can’t come up with specific instances, but I do remember Shep Smith and Geraldo pushing it. It’s no secret that FOX has been leaning more to the left lately.

Flora Duh on January 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Flora Duh on January 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Well if you’re watching Shep and Geraldo, no wonder. When Shep comes on I usually hit the mute button & Geraldo I only watch when he’s on O’Reilly.

redridinghood on January 14, 2012 at 11:41 PM

redridinghood on January 14, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I watch neither. I couldn’t stand Shep Smith when he was on WSVN in Miami along with Rick Sanchez, I like him even more now that he’s got his own show. The reason I knew about what they were saying is from reading about it on the internet, particulary Newsbusters.

There’s really only 4 programs I watch on FOX. Neil Cavuto, Bret Baier’s Special Report at 6, and sometimes Hannity and Greta, depending on who their guests will be.

Oh, and I catch about 30 minutes of FOX & Friends because my husband watches it while he’s getting ready for work, and about 15 minutes of Megyn’s program because the husband watches it while he’s home for lunch.

Flora Duh on January 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I like him even more now that he’s got his own show.

Flora Duh on January 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM

s/b less

Flora Duh on January 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Perry nailed it tonight…. God Bless you Governor Perry. Keep it up this week. The comeback has officially started!

dacoach on January 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Yep, the same way that he was so great in the 9a.m. Sunday morning during church & football games debate

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear…..”sigh”.

I still love your optimism!

God Bless.

tonotisto on January 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM

tonotisto on January 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM

This forum will get replayed on Fox a lot between today and tomorrow, which increases viewership.

I haven’t seen it yet, but I cannot wait! Sounds like my guy did awesome!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM

“I usually hold my breath when Perry is talking, but he let me breathe tonight. Where has this guy been? And why did he follow along with Newt’s asinine attacks?”

He’s new to this particular game. They get “advised” = not always wisely.

GrandeMe on January 15, 2012 at 12:30 AM

South Carolina “The State” Newspaper Endorses Jon Huntsman!!!!!

raf on January 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM

South Carolina “The State” Newspaper Endorses Jon Huntsman!!!!!

raf on January 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM

South Carolina “The State” Newspaper Endorses Jon Huntsman!!!!!

raf on January 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Excellent!

Although, I wish Jon would drop the “Country First” label, since that brings back horrific nightmarish memories of McCain’s ’08 campaign.

There’s no doubting it; Huntsman is significantly more conservative than Romney, and Huntsman’s more appealing as a candidate. A lot of people here see him as arrogant or conceited, but I don’t, so maybe it’s an age factor…?

The one issue the paper brings up is that Huntsman could be seen as “too” conservative on certain issues, turning away independents!

You wouldn’t believe that reading most of the comments about him, here.

Aizen on January 15, 2012 at 1:32 AM

tpw on January 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM

When Cain was in the race he was beating Perry in the Texas polls:

Poll: In Texas, Rick Perry narrowly trails Herman Cain

Support for Herman Cain Surges with Texas Republicans

whatcat on January 15, 2012 at 2:07 AM

It’s time for Newt and Perry to drop out and endorse Santorum.

dforston on January 14, 2012 at 7:33 PM

It’s time for Santorum to drop out and endorse Perry or Newt.

Santorum’s dropping in the polls like a rock. He has no chance in heck of winning against Obama. He has shockingly bad policies, loves big government, has zero executive experience and he’s never seen a spending bill he didn’t love and vote for.

Aslans Girl on January 15, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Perry should make Keaton Dawson his Chief of Staff?

Perry should make Buster Keaton his Chief of Staff.

5% in SC. The SURGE continues.

5% in Florida. The New Hampshire Bounce with 0.07% of the vote.

Texas Gay Rodeo in Fort Worth, March 2-4, a “Texas Tradition.”

“I have no problem with that.”

Perry is deader than a squashed armadillo on a hot blacktop in east Texas just down the road from Tyler.

Giddy-up!

Horace on January 15, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Oh, and Santorum’s on record as saying he doesn’t like the Tea Party.

Aslans Girl on January 15, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Oh, and Santorum’s on record as saying he doesn’t like the Tea Party.

Aslans Girl on January 15, 2012 at 2:13 AM

So what? Nor do “Amazing Marco” Rubio and Nikki Haley.

Used ‘em and lost ‘em.

But Perry has at least 8 or 10 Tea Party voters nationwide, so that is a positive, I reckon. Might boost his polls in SC and Florida from 5% to 5.0001%.

Horace on January 15, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Woohoo! I just caught the repeat of Huck’s forum… my guy was ON FIRE! Absolutely AWESOME! That’s the spirit he showed at those Tea Parties and those Hannity Freedom concerts.

The audience reaction to him was filled not only with applause, but with whistles, and cheers.

:):):)

GO PERRY!! 2012!!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 15, 2012 at 4:43 AM

Perry is able to not just say that he will balance the budget, but that he already has — six of them! He has cut $15 billion from the TX budget. With Perry, that is not just rhetoric, it’s his record.

Aslans Girl on January 15, 2012 at 4:46 AM

no point talking about (Perry, Gingrich, Santorum, Paul or) Huntsman, he has as much chance of winning as Bachmann does.

astonerii on January 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM

That’s better.

MJBrutus on January 15, 2012 at 5:58 AM

Perry’s performance yesterday was very strong. I hope it is enough to make a difference in South Carolina.

Horace, your comments on Perry are not funny or clever. They are just tiresome, though you deserve some credit for being relentless.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on January 15, 2012 at 8:47 AM

It,s so nice to see a liberal Republican like Huckabee go to one of the most liberal cities in this country Charleston S.C. to hold this forum. You could not get into this forum with out political pull.

logman1 on January 15, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Just a few more follow up words.For you who are not familiar with S.C. politics .Charleston is just as liberal as Boston and New York. To have Fox and Frank Lutz,Huckabee and the rest to descend on this city and portray it as the real conservative vote in this state is laughable as best.Huckabee should really be ashame of himself he knows better.After all he got only a few votes out of this city in 2008 .Most of his votes came from the very conservative upstate in 2008 that kept him close to McCain. Greenville is the states largest county and also very conservative and yet were does the news media including fox go? You guess it Charleston and other liberal. parts of this state.

logman1 on January 15, 2012 at 9:19 AM

From Instapundit

ANOTHER UPDATE: Reader Jody Green writes:

I am as disgusted as anyone at Newt going after Romney’s Bain record but I wanted to point to another made up press narrative. The only news was SC voters booed Newt but if you watch the whole question and answer, they only booed because of a process issue (Not allowed to mentioned other candidates) and not because of the answer. They actually clapped enthusiastically when he finished answering the question. You can see the whole thing starting at about the 4:14 mark of this video.

Cindy Munford on January 15, 2012 at 11:25 AM

First few questions were silly but this question was good. What would you do as President concerning the out of control NLRB? He analyzed the question well and provided a simple answer to a simple question. This is why I like Perry so much. His ideas are radical in the sense of destroying the status quo.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM