NFL Divisional playoffs day 1 open thread

posted at 8:00 am on January 14, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Since I was on the road in New Hampshire last week, I didn’t get much of an opportunity to watch the wild-card round of football games … with one exception.  Thanks to the last really bad day of a nasty head cold, I ended up staying in my hotel room to watch the Pittsburgh Steelers play the Tim Tebow-led Denver Broncos, and … let’s just say it didn’t work out as well as I’d hoped.  It was actually a fantastic game, and the Steelers came back from 14 down at the half to take it into overtime.  However, it took longer to explain the convoluted playoff-OT rule than it did to actually end the OT period, which only took 11 seconds and one 80-yard TD pass on a slant route.

Needless to say, I went 1-1 in my first set of picks for the playoffs.

Today we have two great games on tap:

• Saints at 49ers — San Francisco has only lost one game at home all year, while New Orleans has lost three on the road.  The Niners had a whole division of weak competitors, although Seattle came on in the second half and looked pretty good.  The Saints destroyed the Lions last week, and while their defense looks like it will have some problems, the Saints have the top-ranked passing offense going up against the 16th-ranked passing defense.  They also have Drew Brees, who has playoff and Super Bowl experience, while the 49ers have not been here in a long time.  I’ll take New Orleans, 34-30 in a shootout.
  • Broncos at Patriots — Hey, I like Tim Tebow.  I even liked him when he beat my Steelers.  Tebow is a class act, especially off the football field, to which I’ll return in a moment.  Tebow even has playoff-like experience by way of the college national championship game at the end of the 2008 season, which he won.  But let’s not kid ourselves here.  The 8-8 Broncos defeated a beaten-up Steeler team without key personnel (including their starting running back and two defensive starters) at home, and it took them an overtime period to do it.  They have to go on the road to face the #1 seeded Patriots, taking with them the 31st-rated passing offense and a defense rated 18th against the pass and 22nd against the run.  Oh, and who do they face?  Only 4-time Super Bowl QB Tom Brady and the 2nd-rated passing offense in the league.  I’ll be rooting for Tebow, but it would take a genuine, Lazarus-like miracle for the Broncos to beat the Patriots in Foxboro tomorrow evening.  The line has New England by 14 points, but they’ll beat the spread with a 35-14 win at home.

But I’m not kidding about Tebow being a class act.  ESPN’s Rick Reilly has a must-read essay titled, “I Believe in Tim Tebow” (which AP also linked last night), and you will too after reading it:

I’ve come to believe in Tim Tebow, but not for what he does on a football field, which is still three parts Dr. Jekyll and two parts Mr. Hyde.

No, I’ve come to believe in Tim Tebow for what he does off a football field, which is represent the best parts of us, the parts I want to be and so rarely am.

Who among us is this selfless?

Every week, Tebow picks out someone who is suffering, or who is dying, or who is injured, flies them and their families to the Broncos game, rents them a car, puts them up in a nice hotel, buys them dinner (usually at a Dave and Buster’s), gets them and their families pregame passes, visits with them just before kickoff (!), gets them 30-yard line tickets down low, visits with them after the game (sometimes for an hour), has them walk him to his car, and sends them off with a basket of gifts.

Home or road, win or lose, hero or goat.

Remember last week, when the world was pulling its hair out in the hour after Tebow had stunned the Pittsburgh Steelers with an 80-yard OT touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomasin the playoffs? And Twitter was exploding with 9,420 tweets about Tebow per second? When an ESPN poll was naming him the most popular athlete in America?

Tebow was spending that hour talking to 16-year-old Bailey Knaub about her 73 surgeries so far and what TV shows she likes.

It’s worth noting that there are more than a few NFL players who do this kind of outreach, and some that will soon come to the NFL, such as Oklahoma State’s Justin Blackmon, who brought a young girl who has fought cancer into remission to the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl with him after a long correspondence between the two.  Tebow does this constantly, though, and for the most part does it quietly as well.  Be sure to read the whole column, and you’ll understand why even those of us who don’t give Denver a snowball’s chance in you-know-where will still be rooting for Tebow and his teammates tonight.  I’ll be delighted to be proved wrong with this pick.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Most lop-sided playoff game EVAH!

My collie says:

Zzzzzzzzzz.

CyberCipher on January 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM

This season proved once and for all Manning is the better QB. People that know anything about football knew it already.

Brady is just a robo QB in Belichick’s system. When Brady got hurt Belichick had another guy doing Brady numbers in no time. The Colts did not even win a game for three moths without Manning. Any QB with average skills would succeed in NE.

Manning has accomplished everything he has playing for three different coaches, too. It’s scary to think about what would have happened if Manning had played for Belichick.

Moesart on January 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Haters like you are just gonna hate.

haner on January 14, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Intercourse the Patriots fans, which Patriots players are obnoxiously arrogant? Name names.
Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Sorry for delayed response. Typing on phone is cumbersome

Rodney Harrison. Tedy Bruschi.

Grrrrrrr. They were arrogant. Still are. Listening to either one as a commentator is excruciating.

conservative pilgrim on January 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Gee, I wonder what the game stats/Bible verse comparison will be after tonight’s game?

chumpThreads on January 14, 2012 at 10:31 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA TOM TERRIFIC AND THE HOODIE ARE CRUSHING ‘god’ and his gay kid as well they should since they don’t exist and the donkeys aren’t a very good team compared to the Pats.

Your Mamma loves me on January 14, 2012 at 10:31 PM

These C-BS “Announcers” are JV.

Ah, now listening to the inimitable Gil Santos and Gino Cappeletti. The A-Team.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Your Mamma loves me on January 14, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Wow. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Ugly on January 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I’m enjoying this game so much.

mythicknight on January 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Tebow is ghey?!?!

John the Libertarian on January 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM

A couple of more incompletions and Tebow will be 3-16

Patrick Chung smack.
Good to have him back.

PaleoRider on January 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM

The heathens have arrived.

predator on January 14, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Ah, now listening to the inimitable Gil Santos and Gino Cappeletti. The A-Team.

Me too. Looking forward to Gresh on the post game.
The D looks real, for once. Good timing.
Feels like 03-04, eh?

PaleoRider on January 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Here is who Denver is playing next year… I really doubt they make the playoffs again. I think then win 5 games… 7 tops if they’re lucky. The teams in their division were really starting to play well at the end of the season and Denver barely made it in. Tebow needs time to develop without so much attention put upon him… and he and his PR people need to work to keep the attention off of him for a while.

HOME:

Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
New England Patriots

ninjapirate on January 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Tebow is gonna shut the Pats up. Just wait & see.

Ugly on January 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM

How’s that working out for you, chief? Not good.

“god” and his fey kid can’t beat the Hoodie and Tom Terrific. this is a curb stomping beat down.

Your Mamma loves me on January 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I truly hate Brady. It is, of course, a hate bred of envy, in that he is younger than me and gets better action than me. But, he is one fine QB, cool and collected, and never shaken nor stirred.

TXUS on January 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM

BTW, if you’re bored with the football game here is a stream for UFC 142.

ninjapirate on January 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Sorry for delayed response. Typing on phone is cumbersome

Rodney Harrison. Tedy Bruschi.

conservative pilgrim on January 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Don’t know about Rodney, but please don’t insult Tedy Bruschi, who is a Stroke Survivor and in fact quit the team for a time because of that.

In addition, last spring Tedy successfully completed a climb of the tallest mountain in Africa, Kilimanjaro, as part of a benefit hike with The Wounded Warrior Project.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM

How’s that working out for you, chief? Not good.

Your Mamma loves me on January 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Not well, of course.

How’s that whole “not being an asswipe” working out for you?

Ugly on January 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Your Mamma loves me on January 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

God has nothing to do with this game pal/palina, but you wouldn’t know that.

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM

How’s that working out for you, chief? Not good.

Your Mamma loves me on January 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Not well. Gotta admit, the Patriots ruled.

You’re still a jerk.

Ugly on January 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM

This is God telling us Romney is going to be the nominee.

haner on January 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Did Jay Cutler and the Bears offensive line sneak in and put on Bronco uniforms at the half?

J.E. Dyer on January 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM

TXUS on January 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM

His wife is simply stunning too.

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM

When Brady got hurt Belichick had another guy doing Brady numbers in no time.

Moesart on January 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM

LOL, Cassell? Examine the records from that season. He had 4 or 5 games out of those 11 wins with “Brady Numbers”, but the rest were not.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM

A couple of more incompletions and Tebow will be 3-16

‘snip’

PaleoRider on January 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM

God apparently does NOT play his hand in NFL Football. Excepting certain fumbles, interceptions, various bobbles, foibles and other misc. miscues – maybe the occasional “miracle” play – but He doesn’t seem to do “absolute” victory.

Who is John Galt on January 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM

This is God telling us Romney is going to be the nominee.

haner on January 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM

LOL…

J.E. Dyer on January 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM

These C-BS “Announcers” are JV.

Ah, now listening to the inimitable Gil Santos and Gino Cappeletti. The A-Team.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM

to those cats back in the day.

mickytx on January 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM

why does god hate Tebow?

greataunty on January 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Tedy Bruschi.

A bit of taking the Lord’s name in vain around here.
Both in fact were favorites of mine.
i can see why the attitude may rub three wrong way a bit.
But Tedy never attacked the other guys, talked crap, etc.
More like you are not going to beat us. It worked that way, and helped to spawn the culture that still exists there.
It would be arrogant if they never backed it up, but they really did.

I see similarities in the Cheezwhizzers attitude now.
I think that is what it takes at this level.
***********
Still more Gronking. There are no answers for that guy.

PaleoRider on January 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM

TXUS on January 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM

His wife is simply stunning too.

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Seen his new house? Jed Clampett would approve.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Most lop-sided playoff game EVAH!

My collie says:

Zzzzzzzzzz.

CyberCipher on January 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Except for that Super Bowl, you know, where ELWAY’s Broncos lost to the 49ers 55-10…

fossten on January 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Who is John Galt on January 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Er, /s /GRIN, or something. Tongue-in-cheek humorously-intended for certain.

Who is John Galt on January 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Is it true Tom Brady is a Muslim?

greataunty on January 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Seen his new house? Jed Clampett would approve.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Does it have a cement pond?

predator on January 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM

These C-BS “Announcers” are JV.

Ah, now listening to the inimitable Gil Santos and Gino Cappeletti. The A-Team.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Del, do they still sync the radio and tv broadcasts? I used to really like listening to those cats back in the day.

mickytx on January 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I am listening to Gil and Gino on FM as I am in New England, but they are probably available online someplace. I don’t have them synched because I am not watching the game on TV every second.

Supposedly, there is software whereby you can synchronize the radio and TV feeds.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM

@Del Delmonte—

I know about Bruschi’s health issues. His recovery is great. But he’s a big boy. He can handle (and you should too) someone thinking he’s arrogant.

conservative pilgrim on January 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I would really like to understand why the intolerant, hateful Left wingers hate Tebow. Countless of players throughout the ages have prayed before, during and after a game. I am a soccer fat an too. If you watch soccer, countless of prayers cross themselves. They pray the Lord’s Prayer before a game. Muhammad Ali prayed to Allah before and after a match many times in public. Thus why the hate against Tebow? I guess you prefer to idolize the countless of drug dealing, women beaters, womanizers in the NBA, NFL, etc. that the media props up.

It is amusing how the Left hates Christians yet they call themselves open minded and tolerant.

Cpt. Kirk on January 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Cappelletti’s an icon and class all the way. I do remember watching him in the 60′s making some incredible catches.

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Does it have a cement pond?

predator on January 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I’m sure it does..but if it’s anywhere near his stadium, it’s mostly worthless. Even heated…come on, Taxachussets?

Who is John Galt on January 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Seen his new house? Jed Clampett would approve.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM

You can have his house, I’ll take his wife, and we’ll call it even. She is gorgeous.

TXUS on January 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Seen his new house? Jed Clampett would approve.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM

The bride agreed to play in every room.
So, 100 rooms.

PaleoRider on January 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Who is John Galt on January 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Well, in the winter it could be used as one of them there ice skatin’ ponds.

predator on January 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM

No, it is in Brentwood, Cal.
Is that worse?

PaleoRider on January 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Seen his new house? Jed Clampett would approve.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Does it have a cement pond?

predator on January 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Yes, a lagoon-shaped one, as well as a moat around the back.

Oh, and it is in Brentwood, L.A.

Remember, his Wifey makes a lot of money too.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM

If we could only figure out how to mess with Obama’s teleprompter.

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM

You are down by five touchdowns with 12:30 left. You need to score at least one touchdown every two minutes. You run the ball on first down.

How did people think Denver was going to win again?

mythicknight on January 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Oh, and it is in Brentwood, L.A.

Cancel the ice skating.

predator on January 14, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Does it have a cement pond?

predator on January 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Who is John Galt on January 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM

No, Brady and his Wifey’s house is in Brentwood California.

As for “near his stadium”, land values around The Razor are not too shabby. The Krafts have turned the Patriots stadium complex into a huge money maker called “Patriot Place”, and the Democrats who run MA just legalized 3 future casinos. One of these will most likely be in Foxboro (see “Steve Wynn”)

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Remember, his Wifey makes a lot of money too.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Yet another reason I covet her, and will go to hell for doing so. Good for Brady.

TXUS on January 14, 2012 at 11:05 PM

If we could only figure out how to mess with Obama’s teleprompter.

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM

We need a Stuxnet app for the TOTUS.

predator on January 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

PaleoRider on January 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I dunno…a mansion in Mass, or a mansion in Cali? Can I sell it quick? ;)

Who is John Galt on January 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM

77 years young now, and still sounds great.

Try this

The very first station listed works as of a few minutes ago.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 11:14 PM

All he does is win.

Good Lt on January 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM

We need a Stuxnet app for the TOTUS.

predator on January 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

^^This.

“I’m announcing today, my new plan to skjfhaskjghfksg^@$^@$@& reduce the Federal budget to 2007 levels skjfhaskjghfksg^@$^@$@& and reduce taxes so we can increase revenue to balance the Federal budget skjfhaskjghfksg^@$^@$@& so unemployment will decrease to under 5% and skjfhaskjghfksg^@$^@$@& I will not seek, nor accept, my Party’s nomination for President of the United States in 2012. “

Who is John Galt on January 14, 2012 at 11:21 PM

All he does is win.

Good Lt on January 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM

So, does he face Houston or Baltimore?

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Good job, Patriots!

Ugly on January 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

PaleoRider on January 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I dunno…a mansion in Mass, or a mansion in Cali? Can I sell it quick? ;)

Who is John Galt on January 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Houses like Brady’s have a unique market. First of all, only 1% of the population can afford to purchase them, but many won’t. Usually the buyer pool for these houses is other athletes, or some rube who wins the Lottery and simply wants to buy a huge home.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Pats move on – Denver didn’t lose because of Tebow. Denver’s defense couldn’t stop NE’s offense. The end.

EA_MAN on January 14, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Count on CBS to cut to local broadcasting just after the game, before Tebow can say a word.

Ugly on January 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

All he does is win.

Good Lt on January 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Even Elway didn’t win them all.

fossten on January 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Sorry, I meant “sell it quick so I can get the hell out of MA or CA”.

As in, wouldn’t to live there even in a fabulous mansion.

Who is John Galt on January 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Pursuit of excellence. Pats heads can go to weei.com for the latest lovefest from Sterns and
Smerlas, heh. Nite all.

mickytx on January 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Ok…as a Skins fan I want to see the Ravens win tomorrow so they get their asses handed to them by the Patriots. I still smell upset in GB from NY.

Stray Cat on January 14, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Congrats Pats, you did even more than expected. Hoping to see you at Foxboro next week.

TXUS on January 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Tim who?

That was an amazing day at Candlestick! A real play off classic thanks to both sides. Do I watch that again on TV or do I watch that other game?

I really feel for the Saints fans… what an emotional game from the handbags in the first quarter right up to the stunning end. Close doesn’t describe what happened.

I’m just catching up on the reports of the other game but it looks like Denver got brutalized.

Go Niners!

lexhamfox on January 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Unless the Texans get past both the Ravens and the Patriots, I’m rooting hard for whoever wins in the NFC during the Superbowl.

ninjapirate on January 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM

So, does he face Houston or Baltimore?

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

One of the two best T-Shirts I’ve seen this week:

“Houston, you have a problem.”

Laura in Maryland on January 14, 2012 at 11:45 PM

The Broncos defense missed the plane and stayed in Denver. The offensive line played like a high school JV squad. No way this loss can be pinned on Tebow.

PatrickHenry599 on January 14, 2012 at 11:45 PM

PatrickHenry599 on January 14, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Did we watch the same game? Tebow was almost going 3-16 for completions.

haner on January 14, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Tim who?

lexhamfox on January 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Maybe it’s for the better.

Because as things stand, Tebow is better off than Super Bowl winning MVP Pro Bowl Kurt Warner, whose riches & fame have sapped the once-zealous faith out of him.
Warner has been on Tebow’s case to tone it down.

BTW, Mr Tebow, don’t ever do hot dance moves with a hottie, who’s not your wife, for hours, for DWTS like Warner did.
Yup, Tim is better off.

itsnotaboutme on January 14, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Tim Tebow won’t ever be a Superbowl champ until he learns how to pass the ball.

You can’t expect your defense to hold good teams like New England and the Packers to 10-14 points.

Dr. Tesla on January 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Warner has been on Tebow’s case to tone it down.

Yup, Tim is better off.

Oh eat it… Warner was right… and Warner speaking out ont that ballot initiative is 10 times as courageous as anything Tebow has ever done… it’s one thing to be a christian role model and it’s another thing to wrap yourself so much into Jesus that it could repel people away. I honestly don’t find Tebowism to be healthy at all.

ninjapirate on January 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM

It was a miracle. Jesus saved the donkies from losing by 100 points.

borntoraisehogs on January 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM

itsnotaboutme on January 14, 2012 at 11:49 PM

On an individual level more credit to him I guess …but I would venture his employers and team mates would prefer a porn star who completed passes.

lexhamfox on January 15, 2012 at 12:02 AM

For some Christians, Tebow winning = proof of God
For a lot of atheists, Tebow losing = proof of no God

That’s why i prefer to watch other games, too much is riding on the outcome of Broncos games

Dr. Tesla on January 15, 2012 at 12:02 AM

The reality is Tom Brady is pretty much the Michael Jordan of the NFL. Don’t be suprised if he gets his 4th Superbowl this year.

Dr. Tesla on January 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM

For some Christians, Tebow winning = proof of God
For a lot of atheists, Tebow losing = proof of no God

Dr. Tesla on January 15, 2012 at 12:02 AM

It is a weird, media driven phenomenon. I like the write up on him that Mr Wise wrote. I admire him for shaking up QB orthodoxy and defying the pundits rather than his faith or lifestyle.

Good luck to him. He seems like a nice guy.

For the record I’m one one of those atheists who doesn’t consider football results evidence of gods.

lexhamfox on January 15, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Did we watch the same game? Tebow was almost going 3-16 for completions.

haner on January 14, 2012 at 11:49 PM

This was a Denver team that clearly went into the game saying “we made our point last week – we deserved to be here” and went in expecting to lose.

Look at the offense last week and compare it to this week. I don’t remember many (if any) deep balls tonight. All short passes and way too many runs. They didn’t mix it up all like last week. Looked like a totally different offense out there.

Defense didn’t play well at all tonight for Denver, even from the first drive – you knew it was gonna be a long night.

lorien1973 on January 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Sorry, I meant “sell it quick so I can get the hell out of MA or CA”.

As in, wouldn’t to live there even in a fabulous mansion.

Who is John Galt on January 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Plenty of places in both States still worth living in as far as natural beauty, but that isn’t everything…

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM

And who knew, Brady punts as well as college punters.

Zoltan Mesko: 2 punts, 39.0 avg, long 40
Tom Brady: 1 punt, 48.0 avg, long 48

haner on January 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM

God loved Lot too.

Arnold Yabenson on January 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM

And it’s another example of New England being prepared for all sorts of situations unlike, say, the Colts, whose season went into the toilet as soon as Manning was injured.

This is the difference between the Colts and the Patriots. Irsay and Polian were perfectly willing to play with fire by not investing in a solid back-up for Manning, and to overpay the forehead while neglecting many of the skill players. Now they’ve messed up the season, and with a $28 million dollar roster bonus due in March, there’s a real problem cap-wise with the Colts. Wayne wants to stay, Clarke wants to stay, Saturday would like to stay, but there’s only so much money left, AND have enough to cover Luck’s rookie contract and sign their other draft picks. The salary cap isn’t going up this year, so the Colts will be in a world of hurt. Look for them to either do a serious renegotiation with Manning, or let him go elsewhere.

New England has a solid backup in Hoyer, and another up and coming one in Mallet. They have a solid O-line signed for the near term, and also a good D-line under contract. They can take some physical losses to skill players and keep on ticking.

But, like you know, Del, haters are gonna hate, regardless of the facts.

TKindred on January 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Moesart on January 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Wow…You don’t have to like the guy, but if you want your comments to be taken even remotely seriously, they really should be at least slightly grounded in reality.

Dopenstrange on January 15, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I’d still take Dan Marino over any other QB, even without a Super Bowl ring.

Mr. Wednesday Night on January 15, 2012 at 12:45 AM

haters are gonna hate, regardless of the facts.

I put the facts on ya, and you guys did not refute one of them.

Peyton Manning would have done Peyton Manning numbers no matter where he was drafted. He has accomplished his career numbers playing for the friggin COLTS and three head coaches, for crying out loud.

What would Tom Brady have done if he had been drafted to the Colts, or the Cardinals, or the Seahawks? Not much, probably. Average at best.

BTW, this was Tebow’s high water mark as a QB.

Make him a fullback all ready. He’ll do great.

Moesart on January 15, 2012 at 12:50 AM

And, yeah, Dan Marino was awesome.

Moesart on January 15, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I put the facts on ya, and you guys did not refute one of them.

BTW, this was Tebow’s high water mark as a QB.

Make him a fullback all ready. He’ll do great.

Moesart on January 15, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Like I said, haters are gonna hate. You are welcome to spout this line, but if you’re gonna drink that kool-aid, it’s best taken in small sips, and not big gulps.

But thanks for playing, even if you haven’t any semblance of facts upon which to base this ridiculous assumption.

Respects,

TKindred on January 15, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Go Pack!!!

Bmore on January 15, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Moesart on January 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM

LOL that is ridiculous.

Here’s the thing about the Pats (and I love the Pats. Brady forever!) The Patriots have a solid team put together for every single facet of football. O-line? Check. D-line? Check. Special Teams? Super-dee-duper Check. And of course, Brady as the centerpiece in QB that can make it hum with an impressive level of consistency over the long term. There’s a reason the Brady/Belichick combo has been a playoff contender basically every year of the arrangement, Superbowl victory or no.

Yes, there are often complaints about the D-line and I’ve yelled at Matt Light for idiotic hasty penalties far too many times, but generally speaking no matter who is facing them, the Patriots are a tough team. They aren’t usually the *best* in any given category but they rank high in most, even in weak years.

The Colts seem to pin all their hopes on Manning and when he goes down, the team implodes. The Patriots have made numerous draft picks for players that have held leadership positions in college so that even if TB goes down, they have enough “football smart” players to keep the team synergy going.

There may never be another Tom Brady after he retires, but the Patriots have a great system in place. It isn’t perfect, but it succeeds very well.

BKennedy on January 15, 2012 at 1:20 AM

That was some pretty poor coaching by the broncos. I mean seriously, they had no chance, but the game plan wasn’t very manly.

tomas on January 15, 2012 at 1:22 AM

REJOICE! ‘god” and jebus were soundly thrashed by Tom Terrific and The Hoodie! “god” and his homosexual son couldn’t stand up to the Hoodies game plan and Tom Terrific golden rifle of an arm.

Your Mamma loves me on January 15, 2012 at 2:16 AM

ninjapirate on January 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Not that you could ever define ‘wrap yourself so much into Jesus that it could repel people away.’

In order to do that, you have to quantitatively account for all the people who hate him simply because he is religious.

You can’t do that.

fossten on January 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Tebow ought to apologize to atheists for being a Christian.

This isn’t what America is all about…who told this kid he could be a Christian?

Dr. Tesla on January 15, 2012 at 2:33 AM

I’m enjoying this game so much.

mythicknight on January 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Because you’re an anti-religious bigot. In the end, Tim Tebow is still a great guy and whatever his future in the NFL, he was a starting QB tonight in an NFL playoff game. Something you will never be.

hawkdriver on January 15, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Your Mamma loves me on January 15, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Ed, clean-up on Aisle Five

cane_loader on January 15, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I wish Tim all the success in the future…

… for himself and his family.

Seven Percent Solution on January 15, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Tebow’s set for life regardless if he washes out of the NFL…he’s basically using the NFL to market Tebow’s Christianity which will lead to money in other pursuits down the road.

Dr. Tesla on January 15, 2012 at 3:24 AM

If i ever see Tebow off field, I’m getting him a burger.

damn…

abobo on January 15, 2012 at 4:02 AM

still drinkin…

abobo on January 15, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Your Mamma loves me on January 14, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Your Mamma loves me on January 15, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Is this not the very definition of trolling? Why is this turd still posting; this tripe is all he’s ever offered, on any subject.

Rather overdone, if you ask me.

hillbillyjim on January 15, 2012 at 4:13 AM