NFL Divisional playoffs day 1 open thread

posted at 8:00 am on January 14, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Since I was on the road in New Hampshire last week, I didn’t get much of an opportunity to watch the wild-card round of football games … with one exception.  Thanks to the last really bad day of a nasty head cold, I ended up staying in my hotel room to watch the Pittsburgh Steelers play the Tim Tebow-led Denver Broncos, and … let’s just say it didn’t work out as well as I’d hoped.  It was actually a fantastic game, and the Steelers came back from 14 down at the half to take it into overtime.  However, it took longer to explain the convoluted playoff-OT rule than it did to actually end the OT period, which only took 11 seconds and one 80-yard TD pass on a slant route.

Needless to say, I went 1-1 in my first set of picks for the playoffs.

Today we have two great games on tap:

• Saints at 49ers — San Francisco has only lost one game at home all year, while New Orleans has lost three on the road.  The Niners had a whole division of weak competitors, although Seattle came on in the second half and looked pretty good.  The Saints destroyed the Lions last week, and while their defense looks like it will have some problems, the Saints have the top-ranked passing offense going up against the 16th-ranked passing defense.  They also have Drew Brees, who has playoff and Super Bowl experience, while the 49ers have not been here in a long time.  I’ll take New Orleans, 34-30 in a shootout.
  • Broncos at Patriots — Hey, I like Tim Tebow.  I even liked him when he beat my Steelers.  Tebow is a class act, especially off the football field, to which I’ll return in a moment.  Tebow even has playoff-like experience by way of the college national championship game at the end of the 2008 season, which he won.  But let’s not kid ourselves here.  The 8-8 Broncos defeated a beaten-up Steeler team without key personnel (including their starting running back and two defensive starters) at home, and it took them an overtime period to do it.  They have to go on the road to face the #1 seeded Patriots, taking with them the 31st-rated passing offense and a defense rated 18th against the pass and 22nd against the run.  Oh, and who do they face?  Only 4-time Super Bowl QB Tom Brady and the 2nd-rated passing offense in the league.  I’ll be rooting for Tebow, but it would take a genuine, Lazarus-like miracle for the Broncos to beat the Patriots in Foxboro tomorrow evening.  The line has New England by 14 points, but they’ll beat the spread with a 35-14 win at home.

But I’m not kidding about Tebow being a class act.  ESPN’s Rick Reilly has a must-read essay titled, “I Believe in Tim Tebow” (which AP also linked last night), and you will too after reading it:

I’ve come to believe in Tim Tebow, but not for what he does on a football field, which is still three parts Dr. Jekyll and two parts Mr. Hyde.

No, I’ve come to believe in Tim Tebow for what he does off a football field, which is represent the best parts of us, the parts I want to be and so rarely am.

Who among us is this selfless?

Every week, Tebow picks out someone who is suffering, or who is dying, or who is injured, flies them and their families to the Broncos game, rents them a car, puts them up in a nice hotel, buys them dinner (usually at a Dave and Buster’s), gets them and their families pregame passes, visits with them just before kickoff (!), gets them 30-yard line tickets down low, visits with them after the game (sometimes for an hour), has them walk him to his car, and sends them off with a basket of gifts.

Home or road, win or lose, hero or goat.

Remember last week, when the world was pulling its hair out in the hour after Tebow had stunned the Pittsburgh Steelers with an 80-yard OT touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomasin the playoffs? And Twitter was exploding with 9,420 tweets about Tebow per second? When an ESPN poll was naming him the most popular athlete in America?

Tebow was spending that hour talking to 16-year-old Bailey Knaub about her 73 surgeries so far and what TV shows she likes.

It’s worth noting that there are more than a few NFL players who do this kind of outreach, and some that will soon come to the NFL, such as Oklahoma State’s Justin Blackmon, who brought a young girl who has fought cancer into remission to the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl with him after a long correspondence between the two.  Tebow does this constantly, though, and for the most part does it quietly as well.  Be sure to read the whole column, and you’ll understand why even those of us who don’t give Denver a snowball’s chance in you-know-where will still be rooting for Tebow and his teammates tonight.  I’ll be delighted to be proved wrong with this pick.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

I will pick the favorites and root for the underdogs.

Go Steelers! They’ll be back . You all know that.

CW on January 14, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I must agree with you, Ed. Don’t particularly care for the pro game that much, but the character of this young man is simply magnetic. I’m particularly impressed with a second year rookie emphatically insisting that pro sports is simply a platform for his ‘informal ministry’. The one that walks the walk, instead of yapping about it.
Compare/contrast with TO, Chad Ochocinco, Big Ben, just to keep it in football. Just sayin’

SpudIslander on January 14, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Ed, nice info on Tebows authenticity. How long do you give Brian Kelly at ND ?

celtic warrior on January 14, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Tim Tebow is already a winner, regardless of the outcome of today’s game.

kingsjester on January 14, 2012 at 8:14 AM

As much as I want those NorthEasterners to lose I think Denver will be cleaning out lockers tomorrow.

Now, Tebow, make me eat crow.

Limerick on January 14, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Tebow is a man of great character, compassion and courage that just happens to play football. And by the way, people should be very leery of anyone that changes his family name to a number.

rplat on January 14, 2012 at 8:18 AM

But let’s not kid ourselves here. The 8-8 Broncos defeated a beaten-up Steeler team without key personnel (including their starting running back and two defensive starters) at home…

I’m always making excuses like that for Gang Green. ;)

I really hope the Broncs pound the Cheatriots.

JetBoy on January 14, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Now, Tebow, make me eat crow.
Limerick on January 14, 2012 at 8:16 AM

What’s so bad about us “northeasterners”; that is an odd comment.

Go Pats!!!

RedSoxNation on January 14, 2012 at 8:22 AM

RedSoxNation on January 14, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Meh, you know how humble us Southerners are.

Limerick on January 14, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I really hope the Broncs pound the Cheatriots.

JetBoy on January 14, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Uh oh. You’re getting Del’s heart rate up.

CW on January 14, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Before the usual routine sets in, may we all Tebow in appreciation of this glorious day of football the Lord has granted us and resolve now to be grateful no matter what happens.

abobo on January 14, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I’m more impressed with Tebow’s posse than I am with the posses of those of other highly paid professional athletes.

BuckeyeSam on January 14, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I read the Reilly’s piece on Tebow and couldn’t be more impressed. And while I love Jesus Christ and am glad that TT does as well, I’m a Patriots fan from way back, I’ve been with them since the days of Jim Plunkett. Go PATS!!

EA_MAN on January 14, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Tim Tebow is already a winner, regardless of the outcome of today’s game.

kingsjester on January 14, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Yes he is. And I’ll be rooting for the Broncos tonight. We usually have a split household because with our family being Hurricanes fans, my son and husband can’t get past the fact Tebow was a Gator.

We will however be pulling together tonight, because our remembrance of the Patriot’s snowplow incident against the Dolphins outweighs their dislike of the Gators.

Flora Duh on January 14, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Pats over Broncos 31-6

OTTO on January 14, 2012 at 8:44 AM

49ERS!!!

That’s all I got besides complaining of Tebow coverage during winning, none during losing streak, then the whole week to wild-card game, after being lucky of playing in playoffs at all, then the whole week after a fortunate game of completing less that 50% of passes again. Did yall see the wobblers he throws? Grats on 2/3rd of total yards on 4 passes.

Broncos can win, but this one will need to be at sea level….how’d that Buffalo game go again? I want the Broncos out, I’m sick of the media making all stories more than they are, it’s permeating everything now that 1 guy was super lucky this year. Done ranting.

49ERS!!!

John Kettlewell on January 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Broncos 31, Pats 27

You read it here first.

Ugly on January 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM

… let’s just say it didn’t work out as well as I’d hoped. It was actually a fantastic game, and the Steelers came back from 14 down at the half to take it into overtime. However, it took longer to explain the convoluted playoff-OT rule than it did to actually end the OT period, which only took 11 seconds and one 80-yard TD pass on a slant route.

Wow, bitter much?

fossten on January 14, 2012 at 8:52 AM

How many Democrats and Liberals want him to fail? I’d say about 70 percent…

The 30 Percent of Democrats that want him to win are Republicans in heart, but too stupid to know it.

Most will spout the drivel about this not being about politics…but we know everything is…and I have made it my lifes mission to remind Democrat voters of which side they are on…

Just think about it…whenever some violent criminal gets excuses made for em…you will probably find a liberal…whenever you see a Christian getting hated on…you will probably find a Democrat…etc etc etc.

If you vote Democrat and root for Tebow…just know that your side is the one giving him heck and rooting against him…so quick acting like you are on the good side…cause you aint.

WL on January 14, 2012 at 8:53 AM

They have to go on the road to face the #1 seeded Patriots, taking with them the 31st-rated passing offense and a defense rated 18th against the pass and 22nd against the run. Oh, and who do they face? Only 4-time Super Bowl QB Tom Brady and the 2nd-rated passing offense in the league.

You forgot, “and the worst passing defense in the league.”

fossten on January 14, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Go Underdogs!

49′er’s
Broncos
Texans
Giants

mike_NC9 on January 14, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I’ll be delighted to be proved wrong with this pick.

For all the nits I pick, sometimes i love ya Ed.

abobo on January 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Ed loves to pick against the Niners and be wrong.

49ers 24 – Saints 17

For the second year in a row, the NFC West are the rocks upon which the Saints Playoff hopes will sink.

On to Green Bay!!!

JayHaw Phrenzie on January 14, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Broncos 24
Pats 17

I want Denver to win just to watch more libtard heads explode and listen to more flunkies explain how crappy of a quarterback he is.

exsanguine on January 14, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Fossten
Your very right! If Denver needs a game plan here it is, if ANYTHING happens to Brady the Pats are the same as the Colts. Let me repeat if anything happens to Brady the Pats are done.
I don’t think I have to make that any clearer.

angrymike on January 14, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Fossten
I don’t think I have to make that any clearer.

angrymike on January 14, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Reminds me of a playoff game a few years ago between the Steelers and the Bengals – remember when the dirty Steelers tore Carson Palmer’s ankle in the first quarter and nearly ruined his career just to win a game? Good times, right Ed?

fossten on January 14, 2012 at 9:06 AM

fossten on January 14, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Ahhh yes, the men of steal – who could forget.

abobo on January 14, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Nice story HERE about Ochocinco and a good deed…

Uh oh. You’re getting Del’s heart rate up.

CW on January 14, 2012 at 8:27 AM

It’s just so much fun :)

JetBoy on January 14, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Who dat?

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 9:15 AM

…you’ll understand why even those of us who don’t give Denver a snowball’s chance in you-know-where will still be rooting for Tebow and his teammates tonight.

I was born in Denver, however grew up in New England. As a Denver native/Pats fan this game will be a win-win for me.

I must admit there is a small part of me rooting for Denver.

F15Mech on January 14, 2012 at 9:16 AM

The whole article is a must read, Tebow is the real deal off the field. Pats lose to Broncos, 3-16.

TXUS on January 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Finally a non Steeler picture! Tebows miracles end today.

Patriots 31 Tebows 6

shanimal on January 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Who dat say who dat?!?!

abobo on January 14, 2012 at 9:18 AM

On to Green Bay!!!

JayHaw Phrenzie on January 14, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Bring it!
We crap bigger than the Giants/jack palance

JimboHoffa on January 14, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Saints 31, Shiners 6. Yep, I said it.

Limerick on January 14, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Who dat?

MTLassen on January 14, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Rookie Aldon Smith be dat with 14 sacks. It’s going to be fun watching Brees try to run away from this kid. Get your bag ready.

mike_NC9 on January 14, 2012 at 9:25 AM

So now Bill Maher and his ilk are between a rock and a hard place. IF the Broncos win, it’ll make the peopel they hate happy. If they lose, then it makes the “316″ thing look all the more like a miracle. For instance, it could then be said that 316 was God’s way of telling Tebow that this will be his last game of the year but that he still loves him. Oh what’s a snobby anti-theist to do.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I’m a die hard Bears fan…….quickly becoming a Tebow fan. :))

tencole on January 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM

We aren’t all liberals up here in Ma., almost 40% of us aren’t! Give us a friggin break, it’s already hard enough living in a 1 party state. Don’t blame me I voted for Muffy!

You forgot, “and the worst passing defense in the league.”

fossten on January 14, 2012 at 8:54 AM

FYI fossten- The Packers have the worst pass defense in the NFL, not the Pats. Better luck next time.

Our Tom is an awesome Tom! GO PATRIOTS.

shanimal on January 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM

T E B O W ! ! ! ! !
Tim may lose the game today, but he’ll still be a winner as a roll model for me. I enjoy him.

KOOLAID2 on January 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM

New England 66, Denver 6. Tom Brady will throw for 666 yards. Tebow 31 yards and 6 interceptions. ;)

Penfold on January 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM

tencole on January 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM

AWESOME!! My new wall paper.

abobo on January 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Don’t be afraid to play man to man against Brady and put pressure on him non-stop.

darwin on January 14, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Who dat say who dat?!?!

abobo on January 14, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Who dat say “who dat” ev’ry time I say “who dat?”

cane_loader on January 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Everyone who says this conveniently forgets how many starters the Broncos have lost to injuries from their secondary, their O-line, as well as T-Bow’s favorite receiver.

itsnotaboutme on January 14, 2012 at 9:44 AM

tencole on January 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM

AWESOME!! My new wall paper.

abobo on January 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM

That really is a nice photo.

Blake on January 14, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I wait to see how the Broncs have adjusted to the loss of Tebow’s favorite receiver. That’s a big loss, because Tebow’s successful passes rely on timing, and practice. Catching the ball of a left-handed QB is a learned skill, and makes it harder to replace the loss of a receiver who was good at it.

I would bet that this last week, Tebow and the replacement(can’t remember his name) practiced their timing over and over again until they were worn out, because Tebow hasn’t shown that he can make big adjustments in the trajectory under pressure, and still hit the mark.

Having a replacement receiver in there will allow the Pats to double-team Thomas, and force Tebow to hit the new guy and force the new guy to be in the right place at the right time.

cane_loader on January 14, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I’m a die hard Bears fan…….quickly becoming a Tebow fan. :))

tencole on January 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I’m wondering…is “tebowing” simply making fun of Tebow? Or is it more of a tribute?

JetBoy on January 14, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Our Tom is an awesome Tom! GO PATRIOTS.

shanimal on January 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Last I checked, they don’t awards victories or losses on the amount of yards a team gains, so this “worst pass defense” thing doesn’t mean much. The Packers (and the Patriots, for that matter) gave up a lot of yards. But when it comes to points allowed, the Packer defense was in the middle. And that is the statistic that matters.

Oh, and Go Pack — perhaps we’ll see your Patriots in the Super Bowl, shanimal.

Mr. D on January 14, 2012 at 9:57 AM

tencole on January 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Very cool ;)

Ugly on January 14, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Penfold on January 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Brady to be sporting horns post-match. ;)

CorporatePiggy on January 14, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Here’s hoping Tea-bow sends those New England technocrat flip-floppers back to their RINO-hole.

shannon76 on January 14, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Including beating Seattle 33-17 in the first game of the season, the Niners went 8-1, (4-0 on the road), before they played another division game, so the “weak competitors” is weak Mr. Morrissey. The Saint’s playoff and Super Bowl experience might come into play, but I doubt it will effect/affect? the Niner’s defense and the home field crowd will also help.

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 10:00 AM

JetBoy on January 14, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Depends on who’s Tebowing, I guess.

Ugly on January 14, 2012 at 10:01 AM

“Have fun stormin Foxborough.”
“Do you think they stand a chance?”
“It would take a miracle.”

Corsair on January 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM

New Orleans Saints at San Francisco 49ers

It’s definitely a superior offense vs. a superior defense. The 49ers three loses this season are by a combined 16 points, and two of those loses were on the road. Their only home loss was against the Cowboys in overtime early in the season after scoring only 3 points in the fourth quarter, (David Akers 55 yd field goal), and allowing Dallas to come back and score 10 points to tie the game 24-24 in regulation. In the next eight consecutive wins the Niners gave up an average of only five points in the fourth quarter which included shutting out the Eagles, (in Philly) and then Tampa Bay for three quarters, (in a 48-3 win at home allowing only one field goal for TB in the first quarter). The week after Tampa was humiliated in SF, the Bucks beat the Saints 26-20.

The San Francisco Forty-Niners finished second in the NFL in average points allowed, (14.3) and #1 in rushing defense, (77.3), #1 in the give-away take-away differential (+28), with 38 take-aways…….23 INT’s and 15 fumble recoveries.

4th quarter points allowed during 8-game winning streak:

5 Bengals
0 Philly
0 Tampa
6 Detroit
7 Cleveland
8 Wash
7 Giants
7 Arizona

After holding the Ravens to only 6 points thru 3 quarters, they gave up ten in the fourth to lose 16-6 in Baltimore, and gave up 17 points to the Rams (in St. Louis) in a meaningless final game of the season—which they still won 34-27.

Bottom line: On defense, there’s really no team better in the league.

Offense: The Niner’s offense is a different story, but also has some bright notes. Alex Smith has thrown only five INT’s in the whole season, and their rushing offense ranks 8th in the NFL at 127.8 yds per game average, (mostly behind Frank Gore who is healthy again after a mid-season knee injury). On special teams and kicking David Akers leads the NFL in field goals, (44), and is 7-9 outside 50 yards. Akers also leads the league in total points scored (166, 10.4 average points per game). Punter Andy Lee has been a secret weapon under the radar all year with the best stats in the league, (#1 50.9 average and #1 in net yards 46.9). Field position has been a huge plus all season with Lee’s punting, consistently putting opponents back in their own red zones. But the Niners finished the season with a 23.8 average points scored per game. They will have to up this average today against the Saints.

I’m thinking the 49ers will need at least 27 points in this game while their defense keeps New Orleans to a low scoring affair, which will be monumental against the number one offense in the NFL, (45.0 average yards per game), and behind the hottest quarterback in football, Drew Brees (with a league leading 134.4 passer rating).

In the pre-season, the Saints embarrassed the Niners 24-3 in New Orleans with consistent blitzes and sacks against a young Niner offensive line, losing 3 fumbles, (two by back-up QB Colin Kaepernick and one by Smith), and an even younger Niner defense. These are NOT the same two teams that met in the pre-season.

If, (and it’s a BIG IF), the 49ers can keep Drew Brees on the sidelines with a good running game, controlled passing, and clock eating drives, they might have a shot at winning this game. Keeping the Saints high-powered offense at around 26 points or less will be critical, and Alex Smith & Company MUST HAVE one of their best games on offense to win this one. With a top defense going against the top offense, one “force” has got to come out on top.

Final score: San Francisco 27, New Orleans 24 (and maybe even an over-time)

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I really hope the Broncs pound the Cheatriots.

JetBoy on January 14, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Uh oh. You’re getting Del’s heart rate up.

CW on January 14, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Go Steelers! Go Jets! Actually, I will be cheering for the Giants tomorrow.

So was the Evil Bill Belichick “cheating” when he found a legal loophole that allowed him to re-hire the guy who drafted Tebow? That would be Josh McD…

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I am a Packer fan .. die hard … since early 70′s …. but about Tim T.
he is a Christian … and takes his faith seriously and I commend him for it.
and may the Lord bless him and keep him and everyone safe .
I think he is just awesome

conservative tarheel on January 14, 2012 at 10:09 AM

And what do you think Tim Tebow is doing on the biggest game of his NFL career? Meeting with a guy who suffered a severe brain injury during a high school football game. Go Broncos!

Blue Collar Todd on January 14, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Little Timmy has to play with the big boys today. Hell lose against them like he did before.

kastor on January 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM

4th quarter points allowed during 8-game winning streak:

5 Bengals
0 Philly
0 Tampa
6 Detroit
7 Cleveland
8 Wash
7 Giants
7 Arizona

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM

5 of those 8 teams didn’t even make the playoffs. And none of them have as many different weapons (or a QB) comparable to New Orleans.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Here is a neat story on how Tebow’s 316 yard passing number resulted in google searches for John 3:16 which led to many coming to Christ:
Tebow’s 316 yards leads to Internet salvations

Last June Tebow talked about a similar story when he first put John 3:16 in his eye black in college. That also led to an internet sensation of people googling the bible verse. The interview is on youtube

Pretty amazing how God is using Tebow.

texasconserv on January 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Final score: San Francisco 27, New Orleans 24 (and maybe even an over-time)

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Ah yes:

The Unstoppable Force Versus The Immovable Object!!!

Should be quite a match.

abobo on January 14, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I went back and forth on the Niners-Saints game all week; first I liked the Niners, then decided that I would take Brees over Smith, and then at the last second went back to the Niners because I don’t like the Saints on the road and I think the San Fran defense is pretty darn good. That game could really go either way, but I like San Fran to win the turnover battle and the game. Agree with the New England pick – Denver’s win last week was classic, but it will be back to reality this week. I see the Pats pulling away late and covering the spread. Picks: San Fran(+3 1/2), New England(-13 1/2).

TouchdownBuddha on January 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM

stupid youtube took the song down. DAMMITT!!!

abobo on January 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM

exsanguine on January 14, 2012 at 9:04 AM

My husband was born & raised in Colorado, so it’s obvious who he’ll be rooting for tonight. Our oldest son (he’s 22) was also born in Colorado and has been a life-long Broncos fan. He is a very strong Christian who is attending Bible college preparing to be a full-time missionary to SE Asia.

But….wonder of wonders, he’s not a Tebow fan. I was shocked to read his FB status earlier this week saying that he didn’t like Tebow and would be rooting for Tom Brady in tonight’s matchup. He and his next youngest brother, who is 21 and a life-long Cowboys fan, are constantly ragging on Tebow and his unconventional ways. Neither one of them think he is worthy of all the media hype, and that up til now, his wins have simply been due to luck, not skill.

So anyway…it’ll be interesting to listen to our boys trash talk Tebow tonight, but I’m hoping & praying for a little comeuppance for our condescending progeny, IYKWIM.

GO BRONCOS!!!

mom29js on January 14, 2012 at 10:22 AM

The real victory in Tebow over Roethlisberger was that a good decent young man who is a positive inspiration to all of America triumphed over a sexual predator and a brutish bully. The David vs Goliath outcome of the game was wonderful not just for a lifelong Bronco fan like myself but the moral defeat of a despicable person now that was Biblical.

Bert Convy on January 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Tebow v. Tom Brady, I must credit South Park for this but its douche vs. turd sandwich. I’ll focus on willing the G-Men to victory and worry about whichever annoying QB makes it to the AFC championship next week. I sort of hope its Ravens-Broncos. The second most devout Christian man in the NFL after Tebow is Ray Lewis. How will evangelicals/Jesus choose?

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I like Tebow and think he is a class act. However I have never believed that God cares about a fottball game score.

gerrym51 on January 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Bert Convy on January 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Uh oh. You’re getting CW’s heart rate up.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM

mom29js on January 14, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Um, yeah, its not Christians duty to support Tim Tebow. This ish is getting scary.

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM

“Have fun stormin Foxborough.”
“Do you think they stand a chance?”
“It would take a miracle.”

Corsair on January 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM

LOVE IT!!

mom29js on January 14, 2012 at 10:28 AM

mom29js on January 14, 2012 at 10:22 AM

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM

My point, lib, is not that our son being a Christian gives him a duty to support Tebow. My point is that being a life-long Denver fan and also a Christian, makes his dislike of Tebow that much more inconceivable. Get it?

mom29js on January 14, 2012 at 10:31 AM

mom29js on January 14, 2012 at 10:22 AM

it’s interesting, a lot of young people hate Tebow simply because of the media hype. Seriously, the media has gone overboard. It doesn’t help that people that never watch football are getting involved, either (both pro and anti-Tebow).

Personally, I don’t watch espn or read sports blogs anymore (too busy at new job) so I have missed all of Tebow-mania. I love cheering for underdogs and he is so humble. And I get a kick out of seeing someone that everyone else hates succeed! But I can understand where your kids are coming from; it’s not “Tebow” they hate, it’s the relentless coverage of someone who is really not a good quarterback.

peachaeo on January 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM

It’s the Broncos in our house.

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM

It’s not Christians duty to support another Christian? What would be scary is if they ignored a fellow Christian. If only Tim Tebow would mention, Islam and Allah Akbar, than the left could rally around him.

Dr Evil on January 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM

John Kettlewell on January 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Typical Bay-area battery-chucker.

I have no trouble admitting that Tim Tebow shouldn’t be in the playoffs. While he has mountains of heart and physical ability, he doesn’t have the skill or experience of, well, ANY other NFL starting quarterback. His throwing motion has improved, but still leaves something to be desired, his check-down reads are far from matured, and he often lacks any touch on passes which should be less bullet, and more balloon. But here’s the thing, and there’s simply no way of getting around it. He wins. A team which was floundering, massively underperforming, goes 8-4 with this jumped-up tailback at the helm. How does anyone explain that?

As for the man himself, the truth is more apparent in how he behaves when he doesn’t win, than when he wins. It’s easy to say the things you want people to hear when it’s going your way. And Tebow behaves EXACTLY the same way when he loses as when he wins. That’s character. What is sad, truly sad, is that one player with this much character stands out so strongly, when it should be so much closer to the norm.

With role models like Kobe Bryant and Tiger Woods and Ben Roethlisberger, etc., a Tim Tebow will always be a polarizing figure. As it should be.

Freelancer on January 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM

It’s not Christians duty to support another Christian?

Tim Tebow is the only Christian in the NFL? What will you do when he goes up against Ray Lewis, who is a major Christian? Perhaps admit that its about more than him being Christian?

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM

“God, we ask your blessing upon all who participate in this event and all who have supported our Saints.”

Those were Archbishop Phillip Hannan’s opening words to a crowd of more than 80,000 in Tulane Stadium before the Los Angeles Rams kicked off to the Saints on the opening day of the 1967 season.

He went on: “Grant our Saints an increase of faith and strength so that they will not only overcome the Lions but also the Bears, Rams, Giants, and even those awesome people in Green Bay. May they continue to tame the Redskins, and fetter the Falcons and the Eagles. Give our owners and coaches the continued ability to be as wise as serpents and simple as doves, so that no good talent will dodge our draft. Grant to our fans perseverance in their devotion and unlimited lung power tempered with a sense of charity to all, including the referees. May the ‘Saints Come Marching In’ be a victory march for all, now and in eternity.”

The Archbishop died in October of 2011. He was 98.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM

mom29js on January 14, 2012 at 10:31 AM

He knows that. He’s just an ahole.

Blake on January 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Freelancer on January 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM

This is why I will continue to support him, win or lose tonight.

mom29js on January 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM

“Tim Tebow is the only Christian in the NFL?”

No, he is just the brightest light and strongest salt at this particular moment in time.

tommyboy on January 14, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Fish meet hook. Damn you’re too easy.

CW on January 14, 2012 at 10:45 AM

It’s not Christians duty to support another Christian?

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Don’t anyone fall over with a heart attack, but I actually agree. There are many Christians in the NFL, and yes, we should support them. But I don’t think it’s our “duty” to support one over the other.

mom29js on January 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Uh oh. You’re getting CW’s heart rate up.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Wow I see what I said really bothered you. I apologize. Well not really. You’re hilarious.

CW on January 14, 2012 at 10:47 AM

tommyboy on January 14, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Only because of the media spotlight. You really have no idea where Tebow’s faith stacks up to every other NFL player or coach, you just know what the media has told you.

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Bottom line: On defense, there’s really no team better in the league.

Final score: San Francisco 27, New Orleans 24 (and maybe even an over-time)

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM

The 16th pass defense against the #1 Pass offense? Who dat say dem dumb tangs? 49ers have a good defense–vs the run. Not exactly the best in the league, very good, but not the best.

(BTW, Texans have the #2 defense in the league.)

cartooner on January 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM

you just know what the media has told you.

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM

You’re joyless. That is clear.

CW on January 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Final score: San Francisco 27, New Orleans 24 (and maybe even an over-time)

Rovin on January 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I hope you are right but GB wins by at least 10.

CW on January 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM

There is a higher power pointing that media spotlight and for a reason. And that reason may have nothing to do with football games. Those may just be a means toward an ends. Further, Tebow has been walking that walk and preaching the talk his entire life. By their fruits ye shall know them.

tommyboy on January 14, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Don’t anyone fall over with a heart attack, but I actually agree.

I, for one, had to grab a can of sodium bicarb at this comment.

But the topic really burns my biscuits. Ray Lewis is constantly ministering to fellow players and anyone who will listen to him spread the gospel and it is *barely* a part of the media coverage of him.

For examples, See Ray’s impromptu post-game ‘benediction’ on the field for their first Sunday night game this season. He put it down for Jesus; a sermonette in 45 seconds and all the news lady could do was–”Now back to you in the studio”. No outlets re-aired ANY parts of his very inspirational comments that were literally showcasing how faith is deeply entrenched in the Ravens locker room AND coaching rooms.

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 10:58 AM

“Ray Lewis is constantly ministering to fellow players and anyone who will listen to him spread the gospel and it is *barely* a part of the media coverage of him.”

So? All that means is that God may have a different ministry than the media spotlight in mind for Ray-Ray.

tommyboy on January 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM

There is a higher power pointing that media spotlight and for a reason.

And that higher power doesn’t point the media spotlight at less photogenic, less white NFL Christians because what? He favors the handsome, well coiffed biceps of Tim Tebow?

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 10:58 AM

The fact that he was involved in a homicide might play a little bit into their decisions to talk about Ray. Good to see you support the expression of Christianity in the media though. Good for yous.

CW on January 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM

tommyboy on January 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM

You’re not making your God look very good right now. Perhaps you should listen to his call *not* to proclaim your interpretation of Christianity. As is, you’re making God look like a casting agent in Hollywood.

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 11:03 AM

You’d think that since God decides where the media spotlight goes (for Tebow’s faith, not on Lewis) that He’d be interested in showing the transformative power of faith in Jesus for people who have been through some real trials and tribulations. Tebow’s faith comes a bit easier, he’s from a pretty well off family and hasn’t ever really suffered anything. But then again, this is if we assume that God is making minutia decisions about media coverage, which is *not* something I agree with.

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 11:05 AM

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM

You make no sense at all. You have this assumption that TV notoriety is somehow more important or a higher calling than preaching in annonymity to convicts in jail. God doesn’t see it that way. Both are equally important to God.

tommyboy on January 14, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Affluence makes faith more difficult.

tommyboy on January 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM

And he shows that every day in thousands of places in the world. Places that will never hear of Tim Tebow.

tommyboy on January 14, 2012 at 11:10 AM

God doesn’t see it that way. Both are equally important to God.

tommyboy on January 14, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Then why would you suggest that God is behind the media spotlight on Tebow when anyone with two brains can see that human superficiality (Tebow’s looks, hair, david v. Goliath narrative, Rudy-like puppy goodness) that points the media spotlight on him. Contributing those very human weaknesses to God is lame.

libfreeordie on January 14, 2012 at 11:10 AM