Video: The Real Legacy of Margaret Thatcher, Britain’s Iron Lady

posted at 2:15 pm on January 13, 2012 by Tina Korbe

“The Iron Lady” — the new movie about Margaret Thatcher starring Meryl Streep that comes out today — might not look half bad, but it can’t hurt to counter whatever Hollywood spin worked its way into the final product with a fitting tribute to the real Lady Thatcher. Thankfully, my friend Brandon Stewart has produced this three-minute reminder of Thatcher’s real legacy. As a Heritage Foundation tweet puts it, “Margaret Thatcher was greater in person than Meryl Streep could EVER portray.”

More goosebumps from this than I’ve had from any of the “Iron Lady” trailers (in fact, I’ve had no real emotions at all upon watching those).

Comments

Margaret Thatcher was first.

Paul-Cincy on January 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM

the movie looks good but i hear its a hit job on her for the most part

Drunk Report on January 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM

The movie shows her husband as a wimp…hardly the case.

right2bright on January 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Thatcher first? I think Joan of Arc might object.

HopeHeFails on January 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I haven’t looked forward to a movie as much since Barbra Streisand’s husband stooped to portray Ronald Reagan.

Cicero43 on January 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Google Thatcher quotes sometime. They are kick-butt, because she speaks from a deep place of conviction, and she speaks the truth. That’s what I suspect Streep is missing in her portrayal.

Paul-Cincy on January 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Margaret Thatcher…the female Ronnie across the pond!
Meryl Streep plays her well, but the poitics of MS and all the chemicals on those apples MS ate…well, you know!

KOOLAID2 on January 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Lady Thatcher was and is one of the greatest ladies the world has ever had! I dearly loved how Reagan and Lady Thatcher got along. I saw a picture of them both riding horses and it was wonderful. God bless Lady Thatcher with her health issues.
L

letget on January 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Thanks for the great YouTube about MT.

Sherman1864 on January 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Cicero43 on January 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM

What? You mean to imply Meryl Streep’s Eliza Doolittle version of Thatcher might not be as wonderful as Mr.Streisand’s Reagan-Antichrist impersonation?

whatcat on January 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Goosebumps indeed.

moc23 on January 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Who is the narrator of this piece? The voice sounds very familiar. Similar to Peter Coyote, but not quite.

kclibby on January 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I don’t need to watch Hollywood selectively modified historical crap…I lived thru it. And the UK and the USA both need someone like her now…

PatriotRider on January 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM

“Iron” dosent begin to describe this Paragon of Conservative Womanhood. Titanium is more like it. They dont make em like that anymore, much to our shame and despair.

MooCowBang on January 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Dear Lord, Thatcher was prophetic. Look at the state of Socialist Europe today.

She was a great partner to Reagain in the fight against the USSR. God, could we use a pair of leaders like Thatcher and Reagan today.

NickDeringer on January 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM

PatriotRider on January 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM

We do. But she was mercilessly vilified by the blood libel media.

davidk on January 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM

God, could we use a pair of leaders like Thatcher and Reagan today.

NickDeringer on January 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Palin/West. West/Palin

davidk on January 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Sigh.

When I was a summer intern in Washington in 1978, I had some friends who worked at the College Republican National Committee. I will never forget the poster they had in the office of the British Young Conservatives. It featured a young woman marching in the streets wearing a T-shirt that said “Put A Woman On Top.” That was the first I heard about Margaret Thatcher, and I was thrilled when she became Prime Minister. She was such an inspiration to all of us young women.

rockmom on January 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Love.

Philly on January 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Her best saying:

“The problem with Socialism is that eventually you run out of other people’s money.”

-Margaret Thatcher

Chip on January 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM

kclibby on January 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM

If there’s one thing we can be sure of it’s that “Peter Coyote” is definitely not the narrator.
:D

whatcat on January 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Find the photos with R. Reagan. The one on the horse is a classic, of two of the most classy people, ever.

Schadenfreude on January 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Sorry, mixed the queen up with the Iron Lady.

No matter, see the previous picture, with the two most classy people, Thatcher/Reagan.

Schadenfreude on January 13, 2012 at 2:38 PM

We were obviously blessed with the right people in the right places at a very important time.

Cindy Munford on January 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Obama will never be half the man that Thatcher was…

Excuse me, Lady Thatcher, that was unintentional. You see, our current president is so utterly effeminate as to render me confused as to which rest room he uses.

turfmann on January 13, 2012 at 2:40 PM

“Everyone has a right to be unequal”

Wonderful!!!

Schadenfreude on January 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Schadenfreude on January 13, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I got mixed up with the Queen and Lady Thatcher also.
L

letget on January 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Thatcher, Thatcher, the milk snatcher!

tom daschle concerned on January 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I got mixed up with the Queen and Lady Thatcher also.
L

letget on January 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I love that picture of RR, on that horseride. How I miss a good leader :(

Schadenfreude on January 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I sat, with my daughter, front row for one of her last U.S. speeches…absolutely fascinating and influenced my daughter beyond any single other event.
She was and still mesmerized by the Lady Thatcher… I offered one of my tickets to a customer and they responded “who would want to waste their time listening to an old lady give a speech”, that company is out of business now.
Lady Thatcher answered questions from the audience, and they were great questions, and spectacular answers…not patty cake questions, but tough ones regarding war, economics, and she was on target. Only about 100 of us enjoyed her 90 minutes…90 minutes I will never forget.

right2bright on January 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I too lived through that time and first became politically aware around the same time frame. My very first chance to vote I was thrilled to be able to pull the lever for Ronald Reagan and remember how well he and Thatcher worked together.

I do fear that the progress that was made in pulling the western world out of it’s downward spiral back then has been reversed and we are now accelerating in the wrong direction due to the same failed policies that brought us to our low in the 70′s.

The feeling that overwhelmed me watching that clip was the feeling of urgently needing to vote this year. We have to stop what is happening to the country, and we have to do it before it is too late.

njmax on January 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Her best saying:

-Margaret Thatcher

Chip on January 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM

So true. And it will always be true no matter how many highly educated technocrats are assembled to “manage the people.”

visions on January 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I got mixed up with the Queen and Lady Thatcher also.
L

letget on January 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I confuse Iron Maiden with Iron Lady…both seemed to strike it big in London at the same time.

Deafdog on January 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Palin/West. West/Palin

davidk on January 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Please…Palin is interesting, but hardly a “Thatcher” to do so shows how historically ill informed…like comparing Bush to Churchill…

right2bright on January 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Can we send our politicians to Margaret Thatcher Boot Camp? They’ve wandered off.

TheClearRiver on January 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Stopped going to movies years ago as I couldn’t be entertained and watch out for left wing propaganda at the same time. Also don’t want to support their life styles or donations to libs or their causes.

Kissmygrits on January 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I will never forget how she took down that loser Arthur Scargill, head of the mineworkers union. That story should be required text book reading for any supposed conservatives who want to know how to deal with unions.

yubley on January 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM

C’mon, Sarah. A lot of us are waiting.

Kraken on January 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Has anyone on this discussion board actually seen the movie? Because I just happen to have seen this last night (with my boyfriend, who happened to choose the film in the first place), and the last term I’d use to describe it is “hit job”. I admit I’m not an expert on the finer details Lady Thatcher’s legacy, but I thought it painted her in a positive, and at times even humorous, light.

My gripes are not so much with the content (elections, union strikes, Falklands war, etc) but with the method chosen to tell her story. There’s a good deal of awkwardness in making a biopic of a political leader while said leader is still living, but unable to comment due to well-known severe dementia.

Due to these fairly unique circumstances, the screenwriter chose to have her story told in flashbacks, with the film constantly returning the audience to a now-widowed Thatcher recalling better times in her former life while her daughter and an occasional aid tend to her day-to-day needs, all while constantly imagining that her deceased husband is right by her side conversing with her. The film as a whole struck me as almost glossing over some of the nitty-gritty political details in favor of making it more of an apolitical narrative about aging, death, and looking back on one’s former active life. Heavy stuff for this 20something.

Love it!

Liberty 5-3001 on January 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM

letget, for more smiles

Schadenfreude on January 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Where are our Reagans, our Thatchers? Why are we stuck with the 2nd rate and worse for the primary? 300 million people in America, they have to be out there somewhere, why can’t we find them?

Rebar on January 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Heavy stuff for this 20something.
Liberty 5-3001 on January 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Must.Resist.Oldgeezer-ish.Snarky.Remark.

whatcat on January 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM

They dont make em like that anymore, much to our shame and despair.

MooCowBang on January 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM

They do, but most here call her a stupid media-whore.

ThePrez on January 13, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Schadenfreude on January 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Thanks so much, those pictures did make me smile at a great president! Sorry we don’t have one now in the wh.
L

letget on January 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Rebar on January 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM

In War & Peace, Tolstoy postulates that leaders don’t actually lead. Instead, the people/masses lead. The “leaders” just harness the peoples’ energy. The question, in that model, might not be why our political leaders suck; the question is why we the people have been suck’n.

Deafdog on January 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

They dont make em like that anymore, much to our shame and despair.
MooCowBang on January 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM

And to top it off, per this topic, they don’t make movies like they used to, either.

whatcat on January 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM

She’s got more balls than Boehner, Barack, McConnell, and Reid…combined.

SouthernGent on January 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

In War & Peace, Tolstoy postulates that leaders don’t actually lead.
Deafdog on January 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Not to mock you, but that just brought to mind the response when, in “Blazing Saddles”, Howard Johnson observed: “Y’know, Nietzsche says: “Out of chaos comes order.”
:D

whatcat on January 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Brandon Stewart, Thank you for putting this video together for us.

RJL on January 13, 2012 at 3:40 PM

whatcat on January 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Yeah, mock away. I should have said it better.

Deafdog on January 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM

“Margaret Thatcher was greater in person than Meryl Streep could EVER portray be.”

Fixed.
Streep is famous for pretending to be other people. When she is acting on her own, she is a wacko (see the Alar lies that cost apple growers millions).

Christian Conservative on January 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM

whatcat on January 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Yeah, mock away. I should have said it better.
Deafdog on January 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Like I said, I wasn’t mocking you or your point. Your opening just brought a smile to my face.
If you’re not familiar, the first 15-20 seconds from this short Youtube clip from “Blazing Saddles” will illuminate:
council meeting from blazing saddles

whatcat on January 13, 2012 at 3:48 PM

“He would rather the poor were poorer, provided the rich were less rich.”

That quote about sums it up.

joekenha on January 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM

In Newsweek, of all places, they actually had a rather admiring long article on Maggie.

JohnnyL on January 13, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Balls Of Steel…

Strike Hornet on January 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM

May we be fortunate enough to find such leadership here in the US in our hour of need.

rbadal on January 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Streep is too pretty and pouffed up…hair all perfect, face smooth, etc. Lady Thatcher sometimes looked like an Iron Lady, haggard and drawn, hair blown in the wind, not perfect by any means.

Hollyweird ALWAYS gets it wrong.

jclittlep on January 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Has anyone on this discussion board actually seen the movie?

Liberty 5-3001 on January 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Saw it a couple of weeks ago (in L.A. so, um, yeah…) Your analysis is spot-on. I’m undecided whether the bookends/flashback structure of Thatcher’s life viewed through the prismatic recollections of a woman far gone in dementia is intended to be sympathetic (in a “how the mighty are fallen” sense) or intended to color her career, by association, as also a kind of madness.

Anyway, found the performances riveting (and Jim Broadbent almost steals the show as Denis Thatcher), some very effective and affirmative scenes of Thatcher in her prime, but the net effect too scattershot and distancing to work as a bio-pic. It’s something else, don’t think the audience will care what.

de rigueur on January 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM

turfmann on January 13, 2012 at 2:40 PM

We ladies can always tell when he’s used our restroom. He sitzpinkles all over the seat.

Mary in LA on January 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

And to think, she did all that by pumping out Facebook posts, spitballs, hiding from the media, clown bus book tours….

…..no wait….

nottakingsides on January 13, 2012 at 6:42 PM

like comparing Bush to Churchill…

right2bright on January 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Heaven forbid that! Why the speeches Bush made after 9-11 bear no resemblance to the steel and fortitude of Sir Winston Churchill after Dunkirk, or during the Battle of Britain! Bush certainly couldn’t have stood for steadfast resistance to Tyranny, nor for the utter rejection of Defeat in the serious and substantial wars waged against strains of Tyranny, and Evil so similar in its intention to kill innocents who they didn’t share the same religious beliefs with…. At least not as steadfast as Mr. Churchill.

And you certainly didn’t see him pursuing Victory in our wars with the same vigor that Churchill did. At least all of Churchill’s enemies were foreigners. Bush was so “ignorant” that the enemies undermining his war efforts were mainly in the opposition party…. How could he ever have been thought so determined a Leader when he had to face his own countrymen AND the Evil and Despicable portions of the Muslim faithful? (The likes of which I personally have a hard time distinguishing between Dhimmicrats and al Qaeda today anyway)

Why the comparison of Bush to Churchill is so ridiculous that I shudder that you would even comment so moronically on it!

/as if I really needed to type the hashtag

Subsunk

Subsunk on January 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM

“Margaret Thatcher was greater in person than Meryl Streep could EVER portray.”

I think Meryl Streep would fully agree that even the greatest actor, working on stage or film, could never surpass the real the human being dramatized. Even the greatest painters never thought their creations surpassed nature itself.

Don’t like the film because it didn’t do justice to MT? Go after the producers (and to a lesser extent, the writers) for the film, but why go after an actress who’s job it is to say the damn lines they give her, and say them believably? That’s her job. If you don’t like the dramatized character, go after the writer and producers. Leave the actress out of it.

RomanticIdeal on January 14, 2012 at 1:13 AM

And we have the affirmative-action-hero-figureperson, Obamaman and his nosy sidekick, Da Mooch.

LizardLips on January 14, 2012 at 9:16 AM