Rasmussen SC poll shows Romney with 7-point lead over Gingrich

posted at 11:19 am on January 13, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Did Rick Santorum make a mistake in campaigning in New Hampshire?  In the past week since Mitt Romney won the first-in-the-nation primary overwhelmingly and Santorum finished in a virtual tie for fourth place with Newt Gingrich, Romney’s numbers in the latest Rasmussen poll for South Carolina look pretty much the same as … the previous Rasmussen poll in the state.  However, Santorum has dropped considerably in the past week, and Newt Gingrich has moved into second place:

Mitt Romney still holds first place in the South Carolina Primary field, while his opponents jockey for second with the voting eight days away.

The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely Republican Primary Voters in South Carolina finds Romney ahead with 28% support, but now former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is in second place with 21% of the vote.  Support for former U.S. Senator Rick Santorum who was in second a week ago has fallen back to 16%, putting him dead even with Texas Congressman Ron Paul who also earns 16%.

Texas Governor Rick Perry, whose continued candidacy likely depends on the Jan. 21 South Carolina vote, now captures six percent (6%) support, while former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman runs last with five percent (5%). One percent (1%) like some other candidate in the race, and eight percent (8%) remain undecided.

Santorum lost eight points in a week while slogging through a predictably unsympathetic New Hampshire.  Santorum and his team insisted that credible candidates had to campaign in the Granite state in order to be taken seriously elsewhere, which is … probably true.  Skipping New Hampshire to focus on South Carolina hasn’t done anything to help Rick Perry, who only ticked up a single point from 5%, but whose campaign had bigger credibility issues anyway.  Still, one wonders whether Santorum might have been able to hold onto the momentum created from his virtual tie in the Iowa caucuses had he stayed on the ground in South Carolina, even if 16% and third place tie with Ron Paul isn’t a bad spot to be with a week left to go.

Gingrich only gained three points in the week, within the margin of error, which doesn’t denote verifiable momentum but does show that he may have scored a few points with his Bain attacks.  He’s now first among Tea Party voters at 26% with Romney falling to fourth at 16%, but the attacks don’t appear to have helped much where they’re clearly aimed, with working-class voters.  Gingrich is far back of Romney among voters earning under $20K (29/14 in 4th place), $20-40K (26/19 in 3rd place), and $40-60K (27/19 in 3rd place).  The only income demo Gingrich wins is $60-75K, 26/23 over Romney, who wins all the other income demos.

Gingrich is also losing the favorability contest (56/43), and rather badly in terms of negatives, to Romney (68/29) and Santorum (63/30). Perry is far back at 48/48 and only 53/43 among Republicans in this open primary.  Paul scores even worse, with an underwater 43/55 and only 36/61 among Republicans.  The sampling in this poll was 71/29 Republicans to independents, which may overstate just a little how many independents plan to vote a week from Saturday.  In 2008, independents accounted for less than 20% of the vote, but the Democratic primary was much more meaningful as well.

Santorum has more of an upside in this race than any of the other conservative consolidation candidates, especially since Gingrich is now taking so much fire for his fact-challenged attacks on Bain and Romney.  I wouldn’t be surprised over the next week to see Santorum rise into second place and perhaps challenge Romney for the lead again, but it will take a lot of effort and perhaps an uncharacteristic misstep from the frontrunner for that to happen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

btw, I noticed that your pleas of help from others went [un]answered. I guess they’re smart enough to realize that you can’t prove a negative.

…….

Flora Duh on January 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM

They’re smart enough not to care about it one way or the other.

fadetogray on January 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Alrighty then, jogged a bit across campus, picked up some forms, got some letters and now I’m back. Let’s see what you had to say.

Flora Duh on January 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Coming from you, know-it-all-blowhard-liar is quite the compliment, thank you.

As for exchanges over Bain, I’ll admit, they might’ve been direct or indirect. If we haven’t had any direct confrontations over Bain, you’ll have to forgive me, there was a lot of arguments flying back and forth and it was hard to keep track of them all. If I have truly mistaken you for someone else then I am sorry.

However, the overall point I was trying to make there was that I also distinctly remember you being on Newt’s and Perry’s side of the Bain attacks either via support of their arguments or more ‘concern’ about how Romney would need to spin it in order to deal with attacks on capitalism from so called fiscal conservatives. Whether or not you and I directly confronted over the issue was irrelevant to my over all point that I found your sudden ‘possible turn’ to Romney to be suspect, and that if your opinion on the race could be suddenly turned by a few ‘mean’ comments on a political blog, then you’re either easily swayed or a concern troll.

As for the others, apparently you’ve never heard of a joke. Either that or you have and you’d just rather try to bludgeon me with the fact that I basically made a ‘Justice Friends, ASSEMBLE’ joke. Either way, I feel sorry for you.

As for FOS, why thank you, I am quite proud of the fact that I am a Friend of Scouting. Or perhaps you were referring to me being a part of the Florida Orthopedic Society

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 2:16 PM

This seeming rise of Newt in SC is troublesome, because Newt won’t do. Look, we know, frankly, Newt is old and Nixonian looking, quirky, unpredictable, sometime suddenly angry. True, not false.

anotherJoe on January 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 2:16 PM

You talking about this?

Wow…20 years since Mittbo worked for Bain but the company’s current actions are directly connected to him?

I would hate to be blamed for the actions of any place I worked at 20 years ago.

Bishop on January 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Governor Romney is most definitely not responsible for Bain’s recommendations, but as Allah and others have said, it’s the optics.

All people will have to hear is a 30 second soundbite with the words, ‘Romney, Bain, Auto Bailout, Dealerships Closed’ and that’s all they’ll remember, facts be damned.

In fact I would be surprised if MSNBC isn’t writing the copy for it now.

Flora Duh on January 12, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Not quite being on Speaker Gingrich’s or Governor Perry’s side. Nor is it the rip into Governor Romney that you claimed it was, is it?

And while I’m no troll, yes, I am concerned with the way the media will portray our nominee, no matter who it is, and the damage it will do in the mind of the electorate. Because I’m much more concerned about my grandchildren’s future and getting Obama out at any cost.

While you were searching I was also, unfortunately I can’t find the comment where I stated that I would vote for Governor Romney if he is the nominee.

Thank you for the apology, but I think we all know the “overall point” you were trying to make. Too bad it left you with egg on your face.

Flora Duh on January 13, 2012 at 2:40 PM

This is my point I was making earlier that conservatives are supporting Romney to the dismay of the “other conservatives”

GO ROMNEY!

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 2:41 PM

There. I feel much better now. Please carry on with your invasion of Hot Air.

kingsjester on January 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Well as along as you feel better. Are you calling the new sign ups invaders? Weren’t they invited?

SparkPlug on January 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM

so Romney will have a whopping 50 delegates maybe after Florida?

workingclass artist on January 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM

How many will your candidate Perry have?

Less than 50 I wager.

Gunlock Bill on January 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Gingrich will not gain really any more significant traction as he is already showing that he is still just the same old, cranky former Speaker that left in 1998 huffing and puffing that other Republicans did not see his “greatness”.

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM

SparkPlug on January 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Sure they were….and Some fine COnservatives joined up. However, so did a lot of “fans” of Mitt Romney and Dr. Ron Paul who appeared to have graduated from the Alan Grayson School of Grace and Charm.

kingsjester on January 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I’m a noob here myself, but I’m committed to doing my best to speak kindly to every commenter here, regardless of whether or not I agree with what they say. If more of us would make that kind of commitment, this site would be far more enjoyable than it is at the present.

Nom de Boom on January 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM

You’re an idiot.

I’m kidding! I’m kidding!

I admire your commitment to treat others with respect and hope you’re able to maintain that frame of mind as you come to realize that, for the most part, your plea for reason and sanity will fall on deaf ears.

This great gnashing of teeth, this “the-world-is-ending-and-it’s-your-fault-you-blithering-idiot” mode of communication has been going on at least since I first registered over three years ago (I think – I’ve forgotten – more or less)

I offer this not to discourage you but actually cheer you on as those posters that treat others with respect (and ignore those who are itching for fight) are the most admired here as evidenced by the recent “most favorite poster poll” for which Cindy Munford came out at or near the top specifically because of her respectful posts.

So good for you. Keep it up. You’re a better HotAirian than I because, well, sometimes I just can’t help myself – especially when trying to communicate with someone who has the IQ of a dirt clod.

Rod on January 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM

so Romney will have a whopping 50 delegates maybe after Florida?

workingclass artist on January 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM

It’s called momentum and Romney will have it big time!

I believe right now that he already has the wind at his back as he has the support of ALMOST everyone in SC supporting him and with a win there, he will lock up FL as he has the funding and the backing of ALMOST every prominent Floridian on the right side…so yeah, Romney is on his way to a sweep. This is going to tick off some of you but only shows the strength of Romney’s supporters which some of you cannot believe are out there BUT IA and NH have already proven this FACT to you. WE like Romney and he will Defeat Obama!

Get you some Romney! haha

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM

kingsjester on January 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM

LOL.

SparkPlug on January 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM

You’re an idiot.

I’m kidding! I’m kidding!

Rod on January 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Sure, Rod…what about me? You just chose Cindy because she is a female…you’re such a jerk!

sarc…haha

oh, yeah. Welcome, Nom de Boom. WOW! Do you speak French with a name like that?

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I forgot about Alan Grayson…haha What he is doing these days in FL?

I could see him working at some call center selling QVC products and yelling at people to BUY NOW! BUY NOW!

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Flora Duh on January 13, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Note that I never said you would vote for Romney, I just made the point of your possible turn being a reference to the exact thing that started us off on this little tangent, that being the ‘You know, just when I think that I blah blah blah’.

Also, although I appreciate that you at least show you’re not entirely on one side or the other, your arguments do tend to lean in a favorable direction towards Gingrich and Perry. ‘Optics’ isn’t just Romney’s problem, it’s also Gingrich’s and Perry’s and part of my problem I have with Allah, and your version of the argument, is that you lament Romney’s weakness while ignoring Newt’s and Perry’s as it concerns optics (those two being pretty much worse when it comes to optics).

As for the egg on my face comment, well that’s, like, your opinion dudette ~.

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I forgot about Alan Grayson…haha What he is doing these days in FL?

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 2:53 PM

He’s still being the insufferable boor he’s always been. Unfortunately he plans to run again.

Flora Duh on January 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM

sarc…haha

oh, yeah. Welcome, Nom de Boom. WOW! Do you speak French with a name like that?

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 2:51 PM

If you promise not to tell a soul, cross your heart … all that …. I have a crush on Cindy. But don’t tell anybody. I’d be so embarrassed.

Rod on January 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Common Newt, You can take this perp down! Go NEWT!

astonerii on January 13, 2012 at 3:23 PM

You know who else has come in 2nd place in New Hampshire…other than Ron Paul?…….the last three Presidents…

PatriotRider on January 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Did you see or hear the post of Laura Ingraham schooling Perry on her program on HIS Private Equity Firms and their backing of him. IT was classic Perry. Making comments that come back to hurt his potential to eaen new voters. Every time Perry may get a 2nd…errrr….3rd…..errrr…4th look he makes statements ripping on Romney’s “Vulture Capitalist” and then it is pointed out that he has some of those same firms in his background. OUCH!

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Flora Duh on January 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Excuse me, appropriately-named Ms. Duh, but you could vote for PeeWee Herman, for all I care. I’m sorry if the truth has offended your delicate sensibilities.

How dare you tell people not to be so hard on Perry and Newt. Guess what, Newt Gingrich would be a disaster as the nominee, and Rick Perry is an incompetent buffoon. Those are the facts.

The embarrassing, idiotic Perry-loving brigade is out bashing Romney (who is the best candidate, BY FAR) left and right, and people are supposed to play nicey nice with these bozos? I don’t think so.

bluegill on January 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Yes, Perry is such an embarrassment, it isn’t even funny. Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich would both lose to Obama in a landslide.

And did you hear about Perry’s latest “Oops” moment? (Well, this one is already several hours old, so it is likely that Perry has messed up many more since then.) This morning Rick Perry AGAIN forgot the three departments he would cut. Take a look:

Perry’s latest d’oh moment? Perry flubbed his three departments once again, NBC’s Carrie Dann reports. During a radio interview this morning, he was asked which federal departments he would shut down. Perry listed: “Three right off the bat: Commerce, Interior, and Energy are the three that you think of.” Problem: Those are NOT the three he had previously not been able to name. He swapped Interior for Education. He has not previously said he would eliminate Interior. The radio host later followed up and asked Perry if he would eliminate Education, and Perry responded with a harsh critique of federal education standards. A Perry spokesman’s spin to reporters later: “Every agency is on the chopping block” and that all departments would be scrubbed and evaluated. “It shouldn’t be surprising that the governor is talking about another agency that needs to be looked at and cut,” spokesman Mark Miner said.‬‪‬

Yep, the incompetent buffoon/moronic rodeo clown Rick Perry strikes again! That Perry never lets us down when it comes to providing more comedic material.

bluegill on January 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I will post this here as well…

As many Romney supporters have been saying…there are more of us than some on HA like to believe.

“Mitt is the only non-incumbent GOP candidate for president to have ever won both Iowa and New Hampshire and his total vote count is the second largest number of votes ever received by a non-incumbent candidate in New Hampshire. Mitt won the First in the Nation Primary with an impressive 39%, but as we look deeper into exit polls from New Hampshire’s Primary, we’ve come across another statistic that speaks to the significance of Mitt’s victory.

Removing Independents and looking solely at Republican voters who cast ballots, the results show that even in a highly contested GOP field, an impressive 49% of Republicans voted for Mitt on Tuesday. That’s the highest percentage of the Republican vote that any non-incumbent candidate has earned in the New Hampshire GOP Presidential Primaries since Ronald Reagan over 30 years ago.”

Republican voting percentages in contested NH Primaries:

2012: Mitt Romney – 49%
2008: John McCain – 34%
2000: John McCain – 38%
1996: Pat Buchanan – 29%
1988: George H. W. Bush – 40%
1980: Ronald Reagan – 45%

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

So 51% of Republicans in his neighboring state in which he owns a home would rather someone else be president than Mitt Romney.

Thanks for the info.

Bill C on January 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM

How dare you tell people not to be so hard on Perry and Newt.

bluegill on January 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM

As usual, you don’t know WTF you’re talking about.

Just as I challenged your Romney pal, WealthofNations, to back up his allegations, I’m challenging you, I dare you to show me where I have told “people not to be so hard on Perry and Newt”.

Flora Duh on January 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Thanks for the info.

Bill C on January 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Bill…
hahaha Only you Romney bashers can take a story showing the STRENGTH of Romney’s win and spin it…Bill O’Reilly would be greatly impressed with you, sir!

Romney WON the Republican vote more than any non-incumbent EVEN better than Reagan in 1980!

Also remember kids, that FL is actually the FIRST state where ONLY registered Republicans can vote…which means that if Romney if ALREADY winning that vote handily in IA, NH, and it appears in SC…he will crush the opposition in FL.

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Thanks for the info.

Bill C on January 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM

In the spirit of being more respectful (as Nom de Boom has suggested we all be), I wanted to compliment you on your post. It is one of the finest examples of self-deluded nonsense I’ve seen all day.

Keep up the good work!

Rod on January 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM

as a side note…Does this guy take RESPONSIBILITY for ANYTHING? Anything? oh yeah, killing Usama bin Ladin. He was the shooter himself in disguise.

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Bravo Zulu Mr LTC (r) West!

Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) excoriated pundits who criticized the Marines who allegedly urinatied on the dead bodies of Taliban soldiers, writing, “shut your mouth, war is hell.”

As a Navy guy over here in AFG I applaud him for standing up to what we go through every day and read his partial comments below:

West also claimed that there was a double standard, citing incidents of other parties disrespecting the bodies of American soldiers.

“I have sat back and assessed the incident with the video of our Marines urinating on Taliban corpses. I do not recall any self-righteous indignation when our Delta snipers Shugart and Gordon had their bodies dragged through Mogadishu. Neither do I recall media outrage and condemnation of our Blackwater security contractors being killed, their bodies burned, and hung from a bridge in Fallujah,” said the Florida congressman. “Does anyone remember the two Soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division who were beheaded and gutted in Iraq?”

Still, West told the Weekly Standard that the Marines in question need to be given “a maximum punishment,” including a public apology and a full rendition of the U.S. Marine Corps hymn without a teleprompter.

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Also:
Poll: Romney has big lead in Arizona

By EMILY SCHULTHEIS | 1/13/12 2:32 PM

A Rocky Mountain poll in Arizona finds that Mitt Romney has a strong lead there, and is almost 30 points ahead of the second-place Rick Santorum.

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Cast as Romney’s Victim, Gaffney South Carolina Says, ‘Huh?’

Gov. Rick Perry of Texas picked up the theme this week, calling Mr. Romney a “vulture capitalist” and pointing to Gaffney as an example of the depths to which Mr. Romney will stoop to make a profit.

There is a problem, though. Here in Gaffney, where deeply held Christian beliefs often matter more than jobs, few remember the Holson Burnes photo album plant, let alone the devastation its closing is alleged to have caused back in 1992.

“I have been here all my life,” said Ed Elliott, who sells insurance. “I’m 59 years old, and I’ve never heard of the plant.”

That Bain’s actions carry little resonance in a community whose woes have been seized on by presidential candidates testifies to the impact of the campaigns’ opposition research and their willingness to exploit a convenient storyline. Here in Gaffney, the focus is a little embarrassing for residents who do not know what all the fuss is about.

“Nobody here really cares about that. It wasn’t a big deal,” Mr. Sossamon said. Others are similarly mystified.

That is not to say the loss of any job does not matter here. This city of 12,000 people has been brought to its knees first by the loss of the agricultural sector and then by the slow collapse of the textile industry. But there is work to be had. The photo album plant that was abandoned by Bain soon became home to a Bic pen factory that employs 80 people.

Nestlé has a large factory here, where a thousand workers make frozen dinners and other packaged food. The Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation, with 500 employees, fashions chassis for school buses and mobile homes. About 700 people work at Timken producing steel roller bearings.

“We’re not Appalachia here,” Mr. Elliott said. “We’re not in poverty.”

oops….

haner on January 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Besides the whole issue of Perry being a total moron who will never win the nomination, let alone even make Obama break a sweat in a general election campaign, there are several things that have bothered me about Perry and that have made me feel not-so-good about the man on a personal level.

First, I was extremely disappointed in his weak response to the incident where a prominent Perry supporter repeatedly called Romney a cult member. Second, I was shocked by his branding as “heartless” people who don’t believe it is fair or right to give tuition breaks to illegals. Third, the line from his “Stronger” ad (paraphrase: “there is something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but children can’t pray in school”) just struck the wrong chord with me. Although I’m totally opposed to redefining marriage and wouldn’t necessarily have a problem with DADT (if that’s what the military leaders felt was the best thing for an effective military), I have zero issues or concerns about other adults’ sexual behavior. I think it’s rather unseemly to pit praying children against homosexuals. It just felt cheap and dumb. Terrible way to talk about the issues. Also, I was disgusted by the way Perry desperately latched on to the “vulture” capitalist idiocy as a way to try to attack Romney. Did you all see how Perry tried to keep the “vulture” metaphor going in his public appearances, where he would talk about low flying birds picking meat off bones, etc.? It was PAINFUL.

Despite all that, I still think Perry is a heck of a lot better than Newt, who is a vile pig of a loser, if ever there was one.

bluegill on January 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM

As usual, you don’t know WTF you’re talking about.

Flora Duh on January 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I’m not interested in discussing anything with an angry person like you who hurls around obscenities.

Have a nice day.

bluegill on January 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Poll: Romney has big lead in Arizona

By EMILY SCHULTHEIS | 1/13/12 2:32 PM

g2825m on January 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Thank you for sharing this! I have to say that I am not one bit surprised at the success Romney is having. He is obviously the best candidate.

bluegill on January 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Cast as Romney’s Victim, Gaffney South Carolina Says, ‘Huh?’

haner on January 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Wow. I’m not completely surprised, though. That Romney-bashing video being circulated by Newt Gingrich smelled like a pile of doodoo from day one.

So, this is the best the Romney-bashers can do? No wonder Romney is soaring in the polls. This was supposed to be the devastating attack that would bring Mitt to his knees? LAME.

bluegill on January 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Gov Huckabee and Rep Tim Scott dedicate a song to Obama unseen video fom Huckabee Fox forum http://youtu.be/OrR6tvo8b7w

joisSC on January 16, 2012 at 7:17 PM