Breaking: Federal judge rejects Perry’s challenge to Virginia ballot law

posted at 4:37 pm on January 13, 2012 by Allahpundit

Gingrich, Santorum, and Huntsman failed to qualify for the ballot too, you’ll recall, so Perry’s loss is also their loss. Which means, unless this gets turned around on appeal, the Virginia primary ballot will consist of Mitt Romney, Ron Paul, and … that’s it. Huge news considering that, er, Romney and Paul will almost certainly be the only two candidates left in the race on March 6 anyway.

I said last month that I thought Perry had a real shot at success on the merits. The court actually agreed. There was just one problem:

In his opinion, Gibney says Perry, and the other candidates who joined the challenge, waited too long to bring the suit.

“They knew the rules in Virginia many months ago; the limitations on circulators affected them as soon as they began to circulate petitions,” he writes. “They plaintiffs could have challenged the Virginia law at that time. Instead, they waited until after the time to gather petitions had ended and they had lost the political battle to be on the ballot; then, on the eve of the printing of absentee ballots, they decided to challenge Virginia’s laws. In essence, they played the game, lost, and then complained that the rules were unfair.”

More from the Examiner:

Gibney agreed that it was unfair to ask campaigns to only use in-state [petition] circulators but noted that none of the candidates made it an issue until after the state deadline to submit petitions. He added it was likely they would have won an injunction allowing their campaigns to use out-of-state petitioners if they hadn’t waited until after the deadline to sue…

Gibney was concerned that the elections process would be thrown into disarray if he allowed the candidates onto the ballot, and that it was “kind of intrusive into state affairs” to dictate proper thresholds for making the ballot.

Yay, states’ rights! I have to say, I’m amazed that a federal court would use laches to defeat a claim that affects a constitutional right and which the judge admits is meritorious given that the ruling will bar millions of citizens from voting for their preferred candidate in a presidential primary. (There’s no write-in option under Virginia law, remember.) Yeah, fine, Perry and the rest are disorganized morons who should have challenged the ballot law sooner. How does that justify stiffing the entire Republican electorate in Virginia by letting an unconstitutional ballot requirement stand?

Exit question: How will the vote split between Romney and Paul on March 6? Most people seem to think Mitt will crush him by 30 or 40 points but I’m highly skeptical of that. Once Romney becomes the de facto nominee, which could happen by the end of this month, GOP voters who dislike him will be looking to cast a protest vote and reporters bored with covering a race whose conclusion is foregone will start touting Paul just to make things interesting. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the margin is closer to 10-15 points than 30.

Update: A Twitter buddy adds a good point about my exit question. By the time March 6 rolls around and Romney’s nomination is a fait accompli, plenty of tepid Mitt supporters will feel safe in staying home. Paul’s supporters won’t. Another reason to think the race will be closer than you think.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

As scary as this sounds, I guess I’m voting for RON PAUL in my primary then.

makattak on January 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Stupid html codes not accepting my snarky emoticons…

As scary as this sounds, I guess I’m voting for (gulp) RON PAUL in my primary then.

makattak on January 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM

makattak on January 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Me too. Paul will become a “I’m really dissatisfied with Romney” vote in states with only Romney and Paul on the ballot. I’d go for a 60/40 split. Paul doesn’t have a chance, so even people who don’t want him should feel comfortable casting a protest vote for him.

Mark Jaquith on January 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I said last month that I thought Perry had a real shot at success on the merits. The court actually agreed. There was just one problem.

And I, along with a few others, pointed out that problem. Too much time had passed to lodge a legit complaint.

whatcat on January 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Bummer…

workingclass artist on January 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I would not cast a vote for either one of those despicable frauds for GOP nominees.

sunshinek67 on January 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Exactly this.

Rebar on January 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Mitt will get 35%, Paul will get 20%. 45% disqualified/illegal write-ins. We aim to misbehave.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM

As scary as this sounds, I guess I’m voting for RON PAUL in my primary then.

Scary is what we have in the White House now….

PatriotRider on January 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Rules are rules. If Mittens and Ron Paul can do what’s necessary, what excuse does Perry or anyone else have?

Doughboy on January 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Amazing! Even the judge was in on the conspiracy with Ron Paul and Mitt Romney.

It has NOTHING to do with the incompetent campaigns of Newt Gingrich and Rick Perry!

BradTank on January 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I NEVER thought I’d say this, but I’d probably vote for Ron Paul over Mitt if I lived in Virginia.

LOL…

Aizen on January 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Well good. You can’t very well have people play the game, lose and then demand that the rules be changed after it’s all been said and done. Fred Thompson, for Christ’s sake, managed to qualify for the Virginia ballot last year, so it wasn’t a question of could Gingrich, Perry and the others have qualified for the ballot, it was a question of why they didn’t freaking bother.

I could’ve perhaps understood Perry and Gingrich trying to jump aboard, given that they do at least have some base of support and gave some effort. But when the other candidates tried to jump aboard their lawsuit, when Huntsman and Santorum DIDN’T EVEN TRY, then that’s when this lawsuit went from ‘kinda stupid’ to ‘insanely stupid’.

Glad this is over and done with (until the appeal at least).

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM

The decision is made then. Vote for freedom or Mitt Romney.

El_Terrible on January 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Screams of “they changed the rules in November” in 5….4….3…

JPeterman on January 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM

CurpliTium on January 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Doughboy on January 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Maybe they should try the Race Card. Seems to be accepted just about everywhere now.

RedNewEnglander on January 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

sunshinek67 on January 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM

So which despicable fraud will you be voting for?

Thanks folks, I’ll be here all week!

squint on January 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

And when you anti-Romney paranoids cast your “protest vote” for Paul be sure and give a shout-out to Ahmadinejad on your way out of the polling place. Then you can get back to whining about evil capitalism.

cicerone on January 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

failing to even follow the outlined method and guidelines to get on the ballot leaves zero confidence in the competent ability of these candidates to assume the executive branch and all of it’s inherent duties and responsibilities.

sometimes stuff happens and you have to overcome and adapt, but if your campaign apparatus repeatedly fails in this very visible manner, it doesn’t exude much confidence in the eyes of primary voters.

gatorboy on January 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Who was that Judge appointed by? Just wondering.

KOOLAID2 on January 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

If this were about the Democrat primary, they’d be on the ballot. You know I’m right.

SlaveDog on January 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

RedNewEnglander on January 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Yeah. If Newt and Perry are going to trot out OWS language, they might as well go full-tilt with leftist language and start arguing racism, am I right?

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Stupid html codes not accepting my snarky emoticons…

makattak on January 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I think you mean “modicum”.

Sincerely,
Meghan McCain

Doughboy on January 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

LOL…

Aizen on January 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM

That’s what I’ll be doing up here in Washington State.

FloatingRock on January 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

stupid is as stupid does

yeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaw!!!

Jailbreak on January 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Speaking of appeal, any chance SCOTUS will eventually get to rule on this, and if they do, what constitutional question might they address in the ruling?

novakyu on January 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Paul may very likely be crushed. While conservatives wonder how they can stop Mitt Romney, many would refuse to be strategic in actually stopping him by doing something worse - voting for Ron Paul.

MeatHeadinCA on January 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

MeatHeadinCA on January 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Eh, ignore the exit question. Allah’s been really digging for comment bait as of late, which pretty much what almost all of his Romney posts are boiling down to recently. If you bite into it, you’re only encouraging him.

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Romney it is, then. In ’08, it was teh Fred…by the time VA voted though he was already out of it :(

changer1701 on January 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Newtron would take care of that judge.

Gunlock Bill on January 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Bad news for Virginia voters. Santorum didn’t make an effort to get on the ballot. The rest just screwed up. Call in more lawyers.

Philly on January 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM

bain capital mustve screwed up the virginia ballot.

Jailbreak on January 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Yeah, that guy has no integrity. I don’t know why anyone reads his site. I’m going to stop reading it right now, just like everyone else who believes this should.

Allahpundit on January 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Turns out competence matters. Who knew?

Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich are LOSERS!

Rick Perry is nothing but an incompetent, pro-illegal alien amnesty buffoon.

And pompous, legend-in-his-own-mind/serial adulterer/Freddie Mac lobbyist Newt Gingrich would be a disaster as the nominee.

This really serves Nasty Newt right for using socialist, Obama-approved rhetoric to attack free enterprise (as a way to try to hurt the vastly superior Mitt Romney) as his desperate campaign flounders.

I find Newt to be repulsive. The man would lose to Obama in a landslide. Can’t stand Newt!

bluegill on January 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

The problem becomes Ron Paul getting a lot of vocal delegates at teh convention and disrupting it with Ron Paul rhetoric.

William Amos on January 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Philly on January 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Oh hey, another leftist strategy Gingrich and Perry are adopting. When all else fails, CALL IN THE LAWYERS!

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

The Virginia GOP can wish in one hand and spit in the other if they think they’ll EVER see a dime from me in the future. This is inexcusable.

Murf76 on January 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Allahpundit on January 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

We’ll believe what we like and read what we like. You do yourself no favors with that kind of juvenile response.

bluegill on January 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Paul will get the fruitcake vote, and the Perry et al supporters will stay home. So Mitt and Paul will probably not be helped or hurt by this, they’ll get what they woulda got had the others been involved, and the others, since they woulda lost anyway, won’t get any more delegates than they woulda got had they been in.

Unless VA has proportional delegate allocation, I forget.

Akzed on January 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Are far as Perry is concerned, I’m sure he’ll be dropping out after SC, so only Newt is missing out on those delegates – and rightly so.

Rebar on January 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Are there 49 delegates at stake?

Philly on January 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM

On the other hand I have to give it to the Ron Paul backers.

They now have given me the only reason to vote for Mitt Romney in the primaries as the anti Paul.

William Amos on January 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM

William Amos on January 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

To me, that’s a plus. Total snooze fest if Romney sweeps this baby.

I can just imagine the perfect storm:

Mitt getting the nomination.

Some speeches by Haley Barbour, Rick Perry, and Chris Christie.

Maybe Joe Lieberman and John McCain could do their little act together.

Lindsey Graham could do some interpretive dancing.

MeatHeadinCA on January 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Mark Levin will probably claim some kind of establishment conspiracy prevented Perry and Gingrich from qualifying. An elaborate scheme also consisting of mind waves programming Santorum and Hidalgo Hunstman from even bothering.

antisense on January 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Maybe the ACLU will represent Newt, Perry and Huntsman for the appeal.

Philly on January 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Texas 155 delegates.

dacoach on January 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

As scary as this sounds, I guess I’m voting for RON PAUL in my primary then.

makattak on January 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Why not vote for David Duke, then? Both Paul and Duke believe in pretty much the same things–evil Jews are running the world, Black people are animals, Bin Laden is a victim, Bradley Manning is a hero, 9-11 is a conspiracy–and Duke wears better fitting suits under his Klansman robe.

troyriser_gopftw on January 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Lindsey Graham could do some interpretive dancing.
MeatHeadinCA on January 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM

8-D

Akzed on January 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Allahpundit on January 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Look, man, you report the basic facts, which is all well and good. This is a story that should be reported on. But your posts seem custom built to cause as much drama in the comments segment as possible, either by riling the ABR’s into a frenzy about something or through getting on the nerves of people who support Mitt Romney.

But that’s just the dynamic of the site. Ed’s professional and calm whenever he’s posting and you try to stir up as much anxious energy in the comments as you can.

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM

You haven’t been thinking of this? I’m not in VA, anyway, though.

MeatHeadinCA on January 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM

If you could graft the Constitutional reverence and consistency of Ron Paul onto the political instincts and business experience of Mitt Romney, you’d have the perfect candidate.

FogDog on January 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

That’s not what I’m doing. It’s a legitimate question I’ve thought about a lot: What will the race look like once it’s Romney and Paul? There’s no question Romney will win, but there are plenty of questions about the margin. Especially once the media gets going in boosting Paul to make the race more interesting.

Allahpundit on January 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Allahpundit on January 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Allah is taking somewhat understandable umbrage (sp?) at the Romney people snarking on his obvious disdain for the presumptive nominee. Just be fair, dude. Thats all we ask.

Meanwhile, Lucille Ball in the chocolate factory couldnt get on the ballot. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAH A HA HA HA H HA HA HA!!!

Jailbreak on January 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM

WealthofNations

The game’s up. How do you think they drive traffic to HotAir?

FogDog on January 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM

MeatHeadinCA on January 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM

What precisely are you inquiring that I’ve been thinking about?

If you mean ‘I haven’t been thinking about the Virginia issue’, not really. I’m in West Virginia which, while we’re a state over, we are a very different state, so I have no stakes in Virginia. I have my opinion of the situation, certainly, but that’s been posted above. Otherwise from my position I don’t have any measurable stake in this and, therefore, beyond discussions of the situation I don’t contemplate it too much.

If you mean Allah’s comment bating, well, I dunno, as of late he has seemed to try to act dramatically as it concerns events in order to try and inspire it. Lord knows his ‘Tebow is my candidate’ declarations seem to seep with the sort of sincerity a 7th grader puts into his excuses for why he hasn’t turned in his homework.

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Yeah. What is AP thinking? Looking to provoke comments?? Unheard of!!! Harumph!!
(I hope a “sarc” tag isn’t needed)

whatcat on January 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM

By then the new king will be coronated. He’ll end up like McCain, but not in gov’t, fortunately.

Schadenfreude on January 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM

If you could graft the Constitutional reverence and consistency of Ron Paul

FogDog on January 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Ron Paul’s 30 years in congress, doesn’t show any Constitutional reverence or consistency whatsoever.

Rebar on January 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM

This will definitely happen.

Kataklysmic on January 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Still the best gov. with the best record. Period.

“The Texas unemployment rate dropped to 8.1 percent for November 2011, down from 8.4 percent in October 2011.

The Texas unemployment rate has been at or below the national rate for 59 consecutive months.”

We’ll win dispite Virginia!

Go Rick Perry Go. 2012

Conger on January 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Allahpundit on January 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Well if you know the answer that Romney’s going to win then it’s really not a legitimate question is it? Margins are margins and, really, a point here or a point there really isn’t going to matter. Supposedly this should’ve happened with John McCain in 08′ and yet we didn’t see the serious boost to Ron Paul’s numbers as it could’ve happened.

Granted, Paul’s support this year has been surprising, but I’d say we wait and see his final numbers in South Carolina before we buckle down on whether or not there’s some new force driving Paul, or whether or not the famously moderate NH or the energy driven IA just gave the illusion of a bump.

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Rebar on January 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM

You have got to be kidding.

Dante on January 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM

FogDog on January 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

He’d be short, but he’d have great hair.

squint on January 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Just be fair, dude. Thats all we ask.

Jailbreak on January 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Dude, I have very clear recollections of AP taking every candidate to the woodshed on multiple occasions.

Kataklysmic on January 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Even if all you say is true, what of it?

SlaveDog on January 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Is there anyway of defeating Romney without the alternative being Ginrich,Perry, Santorum, Ron Paul, Palin?

gumble on January 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM

MeatHeadinCA on January 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM

The problem meaty is that by the time of the convention we need to be united to take on Obama. I can see the paulies pushing for more divisiveness rather than singing kumbiya then.

That has the potential to split the GOP and leave us broken before the real campaign begins.

William Amos on January 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

whatcat on January 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Yes, yes I know. But I dunno, it seems like traffic can still be high and we can keep a level of professionalism, like Ed’s, without resorting to this sort of thing.

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM

:O

In other words, shut up. Let’s bulldoze Romney through.

MeatHeadinCA on January 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Allahpundit on January 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

It is a legitimate question — and an interesting one. After New Hampshire, I’d like to see how a Romney-Paul contest comes out. Who would have ever thought that we’d have the chance to see that?!

Rational Thought on January 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

whatcat on January 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Hey, it just took a really, really long time for the information to go from Perry’s eyes and ears to reach his brain and then even longer for him to process the information. That and he forgot what he was supposed to do in VA. He should get a pass because I am sure there are millions of VA citizens that are very excited about pulling the lever for that guy.

csdeven on January 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

HEY VA!

WRITE-INS SHOULD BE ALLOWED, AND COUNTED!

listens2glenn on January 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I’ll vote for Paul over Newt.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

William Amos on January 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I don’t think “unity” is in the Paulians’ play book.

Rational Thought on January 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM

“Once Romney becomes the de facto nominee, which could happen by the end of this month”
posted at 4:37 pm on January 13, 2012 by Allahpundit

So even though New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida, Arizona and Michigan lost 1/2 their delegates

So let’s see there are 115 total delegates from IA,NH,SC, & FL

IA – 28
NH – 12
SC – 25
FL – 50

Let’s say Romney wins 1/2 of the total and gets 57 (rounded up)

I think you’re right that’s really close to 1,144

Why waste time and money on Super Tuesday in March then?

Better yet we should not do these states either cause they’re all after January too.

February 4, 2012 Nevada (caucus)
February 4–11,2012 Maine (caucus)
February 7, 2012 Colorado (caucus)
Minnesota (caucus)
Missouri (primary) – *See note below on Missouri
February 28, 2012 Arizona (primary)
Michigan (primary)
March 3, 2012 Washington (caucus)

workingclass artist on January 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM

As scary as this sounds, I guess I’m voting for RON PAUL in my primary then.

makattak on January 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Why does casting a vote for a Constitutional, limited-government candidate scare you?

Dante on January 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM

William Amos on January 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

My dream (unrealistic as it is) is to have a brokered convention. So, I’m not shooting for unity up to the convention.

I also think it would be good to have some more energy behind our nominee. Neither Romney nor Paul can give us that.

MeatHeadinCA on January 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Kataklysmic on January 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Yes, but AP seems to have a special sort of loathing for Mitt Romney that, even while he has other candidates in the woodshed, he likes to continuously revisit.

SlaveDog on January 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM

*Shrugs* Only what people personally take from it I suppose. If you take nothing from it then ‘what of it’ is absolutely nothing.

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM

cicerone on January 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

its unamerican to let americans enemies influence your vote in any form.

nathor on January 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Deven, where were you? No worries, it’s just rhetorical. The last few days missed you and Madison Conservative. The comment numbers could have been doubled.

Schadenfreude on January 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM

You have got to be kidding.

Dante on January 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Name one bill he passed, that increased liberty, addressed fiscal issues, or brought the government closer to it’s constitutional duties.

You can’t, because in 30 years as a career politician he has accomplished nothing except porkbarrel $31 Billion for his district.

Rebar on January 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Would the voters have any legal justification for filing a suit? I’m not a lawyer, and I don’t know if there are precedents either way, but since it seems judges these days bend over backwards to “discern the intent of the voter”, could voters question the constitutionality of the rule against write-in votes? Disenfranchisement? The problem for Perry was that he didn’t file the suit earlier, but voters have not been disenfranchised yet – and they will be, if the rule stands.

NbyNW on January 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM

(I hope a “sarc” tag isn’t needed)

He seems be saying that I’m being needlessly provocative with that exit question but I honestly don’t understand why. Romney vs. Paul is what the race will look like soon, barring something amazing happening. That’s the choice Republicans will have. Romney will win, unquestionably, but I don’t get why it’s somehow outre or incendiary to wonder what the margin between them will be. We’ll all be concentrating on that question a month from now.

Allahpundit on January 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

That’s why he affectionately called an Eeyore.

BettyRuth on January 13, 2012 at 5:07 PM

MeatHeadinCA on January 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Unfortunately Meaty if Paul and Romney are the only candidates standing I dont see how Romney doesnt have enough delegates to win.

The brokered convention only really happens when you get 3 to 5 candidates spliting the delegate vote. What happens is those with other delegates (Like Perry or Huntsman or Santorum) throw their delegates behind one of the major candidates.

If it is down to Paul and Romney I cant see them throwing their delegates behind Paul. Which means the paulies will scream bloody murder if a coalition of candidates back Romney over their guy.

William Amos on January 13, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Back in the day I was one of 8 votes for Lyndon LaRouche in South Dakota. As a registered Democrate it was him or Tom Dashle in the primary and there was no way I was going to vote for Dashle. I realized I had never once voted for a Democrat, so I decided that I had better change my party affiliation so my vote would not be a wasted protest vote anymore.

Now we get this slate of candidates.

Somebody up there doesn’t like me.

Lily on January 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Texas 155 delegates.

dacoach on January 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

And Perry would win them.

workingclass artist on January 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Allahpundit on January 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

believing this, did you already started to protect mitt to avoid damage to mitt in the general?
if so, it is wrong!

nathor on January 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I think the top 3 people who run in the general should become President, Vice President, and Assistant Vice President.

antisense on January 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM

MeatHeadinCA on January 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I really don’t understand the excitement for a brokered convention. If you’re a tea partier who wants an outside then, tough toenails, under a brokered convention the only thing you’re going to get is an insider who can appeal to the Powers That Be, fundraiser quickly and build up an organization on the fly. Really, there’s no Tea Party candidate out there right now that can do that, except maybe Sarah Palin, but then I doubt she even wants to run for the office anyway.

If you’re an insider but you’re getting tired of Romney, then whatever new guy who gets in through the brokered convention is just going to be unpopular with the Tea Party because they’ll view it as a backroom deal to nominate him, which it would be, quite probably depressing turnout.

So it’s literally a lose, lose situation for us.

WealthofNations on January 13, 2012 at 5:09 PM

novakyu on January 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

No, and it won’t matter by then IMO

gatorboy on January 13, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Allahpundit on January 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM

1) You’re stirring the pot. You’re trying to create drama from a situation that should have absolutely no drama in it.

2) You already know the winner, so you shouldn’t ask about the outcomes. Just as Iowa demonstrates, Mitt Romney is always the dominant player in the field.

3) You hate Romney and are trying to push other candidates (namely Ron Paul) on us.

Did I miss anything?

MeatHeadinCA on January 13, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Perry fans break out their latest ad titled “No Justice, No Peace!”

Fletch54 on January 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Given a choice between a candidate that would be at home as Obama’s VP, and a nutty professor, I’d take the nutty professor.

they lie on January 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM

The whole GOP, especially VA, needs to get its shit together before next election. This is no way to pick a president. VA has the most difficult ballot process of all the states as a way to protect incumbents and the status quo.

And it’s ludicrous that Democrats in two boutique states pick our nominee for us. The first primaries need to be rotated around to different states.

juliesa on January 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Allahpundit on January 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM

You didn’t agree with a particular person’s meme du jour so your a horrible person AP…. just ignore them…

Fish gotta swim
Birds gotta fly
haters gotta hate.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Just say it. You talibangelicals hate Mormons so much you would rather have another four years of Obama.

borntoraisehogs on January 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM

William Amos on January 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I think Comrade Newt and Comrade Perry did a fine job of that this week when they decided to pitch their tents in Zucotti Park.

JPeterman on January 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM