RNC, DNC Chairs spar about civility on Twitter

posted at 4:15 pm on January 12, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Yesterday, Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz revived an old meme. At the traditional New Hampshire “Politics and Eggs” breakfast, DWS suggested that the “edginess and … lack of civility” of Tea Party rhetoric is somehow related to last year’s tragic shooting of her close friend, Rep. Gabby Giffords, in Tucson.

It’s questionable as to whether Tea Party rhetoric is characterized by “edginess” and a “lack of civility” — but, even if it is, the Tucson shooter was a loner with no apparent partisan agenda. DWS’ comments were uncalled for and Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus would have none of it.

“@DWStweets should apologize immediately for her reckless comments blaming the Tea Party for the horrific Tucson shooting,” Priebus quickly tweeted.

The ubiquitously calm and composed RNC leader then appeared on CNN to respond to DWS’ out-of-line remarks.

“To take such a tragedy and such a remarkable story and to try to score political points on it, it’s just … it’s pathetic,” Priebus said on air. Later, he tweeted the video of his appearance.

That did it for DWS, who apparently didn’t expect to be called out for her comments.

“I’d NEVER politicize Tucson — my close friend was shot,” she tweeted at the Chairman. “Your comment=lack of civility [I] was talking about.”

That sparked a hailstorm of responses, but none better than that from Priebus himself. “Check your own transcript,” he tweeted back.

As I wrote yesterday, DWS has no legs to stand on when it comes to civility. It’d be nice if the rancor and blame between parties would evaporate, but, in the meantime, let’s at least be clear on what constitutes incivility. According to DWS, it’s not civil of Priebus to accuse her of politicizing Tucson, but it is civil of her to say Tea Party rhetoric might have incited the shooting itself. Once again, we learn the all-too-common liberal definition: Whatever you say is rude, whatever I say is polite. (After all, she did preface her comments about the Tea Party with an all-purpose phrase, “I hesitate to place blame,” which we all know is code for, “Allow me to place blame.”) Again, the hypocrisy has got to stop.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

On that list of vile disgusting female democrats, you can add Barnys Frank.

newportmike on January 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Is there anything that woman won’t lie about?

Proverbs 30:20 comes to mind.

WannabeAnglican on January 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM

On that list of vile disgusting female democrats, you can add Barnys Frank.

newportmike on January 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM

No thanks, I don’t want anything to do with that lying crooked douche Barney, let a lone have anything to do with is “frank.”

Liberty or Death on January 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM

john king defended dippity do on cnn just a little while ago….

no bias there

cmsinaz on January 12, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Since you’re pretty affirmative, I’m sure you will provide me a list of sources and links re. these brave GOPers who came to her defense last year.

If you can’t, I would suggest you to stop lying.

As for me, I just remember a deafening silence, plus a pile on when she dared to defend herself.

BabyGrace on January 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM

seriously, then you live in a parallel universe or got sucked in a black hole during the period post-Arizona shooting…and you have the audacity to call other people liars…for one thing, Mc Cain is one who came very strongly in her support…as for the rest of her defenders, go google it yourself, don’t expect other people to do your homework, they can’t make up for your blatant disinformation and lack of intellectual curiosity…here:

‘When Palin was being criticized for the target list, McCain came to her defense, saying, “I have seen the rhetoric of targeted districts as long as I’ve been in politics.”This is — any threat of violence is terrible, but to say that there is a targeted district or that we ‘reload’ or go back in to the fight again, please…Those are fine. They’re used all the time,” he said, adding: “Those words have been used throughout of my political career. There are targeted districts, and there are areas that we call battleground states, and so please, that rhetoric and kind of language is just part of the political lexicon. There is no place for threats of violence or anything else, but to say that someone is in a battleground state is not originated today.” “

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I didn’t expect Republicans to call her out on it either. Usually they just roll over in these cases.

Paging Allen West…

22044 on January 12, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Hey DWS, why the long face?

rjoco1 on January 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM

BabyGrace on January 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM

again. stop with the disinformation…the ‘pile on’ was for her use of the phrase ‘blood libel’ that she use din her FB post and that some in the Jewish community and elsewhere thought it was inappropriate for her to use…and that’s an entirely different story…

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Nailed it! Good for Priebus for calling her out.

TN Mom on January 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM

newportmike on January 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Oh, please.

There are plenty of reasons to slag on Barney Frank, real reasons about some of his rotten initiatives and some of his dubious ethical choices. Dragging his sexuality into the discussion (in such a crass fashion) doesn’t do anything to advance the debate.

Horologium on January 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Well Mr. Priebus.

borntoraisehogs on January 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

she did preface her comments about the Tea Party with an all-purpose phrase, “I hesitate to place blame,” which we all know is code for, “I do not hesitate to place blame; here, watch…I’m going to place blame.”

Fixed that for you.

Jaibones on January 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Time to vote for the most vile, disgusting Donkeycrat female:
1) Wasserman – Schultz
2) Pelosi
3) Waters

Write ins welcome…..

LaRepublican on January 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Cynthia “The Palestinian” McKinney

tom daschle concerned on January 12, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Kathleen (I love abortion) Sebilius.

FLconservative on January 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Do journalists count? If so, I nominate: (drum roll please)

HELEN “Get all the Jews out of Palestine” THOMAS

Also:

Sen BARBARA “I worked very hard for this title” BOXER

listens2glenn on January 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Another triple by Korbe

DaMav on January 13, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Waterhead Schultz has the homefield advantage on Twitter – the first for letters ARE T W I T, after all.

PJ Emeritus on January 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM

‘Civility’? SERIOUSLY?! Obama whines and lectures the GOP and Tea Party about civility…then shares a stage with Jimmy Hoffa Jr, teamsters Boss. Hoffa says they need to take the ‘Tea Party members out’, that the Unions are Obama’s ARMY, and are ready to take to the streets to make it happen if Obama gives him the word. Obama then comes out and praises Hoffa for being so awesome. Wen Obama was called to the carpet for the event/hostile words, Obama – the defender of ‘civility’ – argues that he can’t be expected to be the ‘civility police’. What a lying, hypocritical POS! And Obama backs the “occupy’ movement, that was formed by the Communist & Socialist Parties and Unions, a group that has been violent and has committed hundreds of crimes – rape/drug use/murder/destruction of public and private property, etc – while the Tea Party Protests acquired permits, policed themselves, left no trash in their wake, and had no – ZERO – arrests! The only person who makes me more ill when they talk than Obama is Debbie Wasserman! She is a lying, hypocritical, brainwashed, Party-1st, Socialist DITZ!

easyt65 on January 13, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Really? Elementary school playground name calling is journalism now? Tina’s posts are comically ridiculous.

That’s not to say there is not a story here, there is, but the way she frames everything is, frankly, uncivil.

sob0728 on January 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM

On that list of vile disgusting female democrats, you can add Barnys Frank.

newportmike on January 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM