Report: Jeb Bush likely to endorse Romney before Florida primary

posted at 7:45 pm on January 12, 2012 by Allahpundit

Surprising. The odds of this happening, given the Bush family’s antipathy to Gingrich and Perry, couldn’t have been much higher than 98 or 99 percent.

Second look at political dynasties backing establishment candidates?

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush plans to endorse former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney before the Jan. 31 Florida primary, a Florida GOP source close to Bush told BuzzFeed Thursday.

The endorsement from Bush, who despite prodding from members of his famous family and prominent Republicans decided to sit out the 2012 contest, is the latest sign that the Republican establishment is coalescing around Romney after months publicly griping about finding another candidate…

The Florida Herald-Tribune reported yesterday that First Lady Laura Bush told a Sunshine State audience this week that her husband “and I wish he would [run for president.] We wanted him to this time.”

If there’s any significance to this scoop, that’s it — that the odds of Jeb jumping in late to shake up the race have now declined from a fraction of one percent to absolute zero. I want more details on the timing, though. It makes no sense for Bush to wait until after South Carolina to endorse Romney since Romney’s almost certainly going to win Florida regardless. He leads there in all the recent polls, one of which has him up by more than 20 points, and he’s probably the only candidate in the field who can afford the huge expense of a sustained ad campaign there. Unless Sheldon Adelson’s ready to pour millions more into Newt’s Super PAC, Mitt might be able to lose South Carolina to Newt and still bounce back to win Florida. If he’s got Jeb’s endorsement, he should roll it out a day or two before SC votes in hopes of pulling some moderates away from Huntsman and squeaking past Newt to wrap up the nomination. Having Bush stump for him there would also make for a sweet complement to the support he’s getting from DeMint’s more conservative allies, including praise — if not a formal endorsement — from DeMint himself.

Here’s Jeb with Piers Morgan back in October talking about how “consistent” Romney is, which must be the first term any human has said that ever. Beneath that,

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

oh, come on…you couldn’t have been more wrong :-)…I love RINO! I’d be offended if I were called ‘soc con’, or religious nut, tea party, or other such extremist names :-), but RINO is music to my ears…it rhymes with sanity and rationality :-)…

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Like OMG :-) :-) :-) is this like :-) :-) :-) Megan McCain?

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM

This Just In: Franklin D. Roosevelt crawls out of grave to endorse Romney!

“He’s conservative enough for me!” proclaims dead-serious FDR.

TheClearRiver on January 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM

The real question was did FDR get to vote in NH?

Bunsin2 on January 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Well butter my butt and call me biscuit. I would have never seen that coming.

Flora Duh on January 12, 2012 at 7:49 PM

@PolarCoug PolarCoug
Well butter my butt and call me biscuit. I would have never seen that coming. #JebBushToEndorseRomney
6 minutes ago

Looks like someone’s copying comments from HA and posting them on Twitter.

Flora Duh on January 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

A 12 year old RINO?

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 8:24 PM

..I am devastated! Cut to the quick, I tell you! I cannot go on.

I’ll just have to summon blink to deal with you, ed.

The War Planner on January 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM

“RINO”s are liberals, just insecure about it for whatever reason.

It’s not about rationality and sanity, it’s about you being insecure about being a liberal. Have the courage of your convictions.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:27 PM

..g’nite, ed.

The War Planner on January 12, 2012 at 8:27 PM

RINO for RINO

M_J_S on January 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:27 PM

They’re Mittbots. What convictions?

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Did you hear Newt recently?

The guy makes OWS sound like a Tea Party!

Aizen on January 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I’m not defending NEwt OR Perry’s attacks on Bain.

But you seem to be ignoring the fact that Romney is the RomneyCare guy and he govern like a liberal in Mass. He wasn’t some champion of free markets…there’s not free market about RomneyCare…it’s market distortion by the government. He supported that, still does to some extent.

And, another thing, Romney defended his Bain Capital experience by comparing it to Obama firing the CEO of GM and taking it over. Romney’s a free market guy? You sure about that?

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Like OMG :-) :-) :-) is this like :-) :-) :-) Megan McCain?

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Like, um.. no. I’m toadally more revelent than HER. Toadally.

Key West Reader on January 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Seriously, does anyone here believe Romneybots aren’t getting paid per comment?

Masih ad-Dajjal on January 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM

One of two scenarios.

1. They are getting paid.
2. They actually believe the crap Romney says.

At least with 1, they’re making money doing something the rest of us do for free. With 2, they’re just gullible fools.

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I know plenty of actual Romney supporters, they NEVER sound like the slogan spouting flamboyant machines Romneybots here are.

Pro-Romney arguments can be articulated.

It’s just that Romney is not Obama nor is he Ron Paul or Palin, he doesn’t attract excitable youth who would spam websites like that for free.

Masih ad-Dajjal on January 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Romney’s a free market guy? You sure about that?

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM

He is. Just like Soros and Buffet are. They’re all for free markets for themselves and a few close associates. For everyone else, the govt knows best and will take care of you from cradle to grave.
And if you don’t agree you’re a stupid head.

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM

If I were Gingrich or Perry, I would have only used Bain as a reason why Obama would prefer to run against Romney. His job with Bain does come across as a layoff specialist type of thing like you saw in the movies Office Space and Up in The Air.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Like OMG :-) :-) :-) is this like :-) :-) :-) Megan McCain?

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM
Like, um.. no. I’m toadally more revelent than HER. Toadally.

Key West Reader on January 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM

My total fail on copy/paste. Argh.

Key West Reader on January 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Pro-Romney arguments can be articulated.

Masih ad-Dajjal on January 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Yep. I know a couple of Romney dudes as well. They know he’s a fake, wooden flip flopping opportunist who will say whatever needs to be said to win. They still like him as a candidate since they’ve bought into the electability meme. But neither of them would ever defend Mitt as passionately as the Romney shills here do.

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM

RINO’s are feeling good now, feeling their oats. Soon the moderate stampede will commence. RINOMANIA 2012!

exceller on January 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM

“RINO”s are liberals, just insecure about it for whatever reason.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:27 PM

lol :-) maybe you should call yourself Dr Freud, (see, I’m being nice and I didn’t say Phil, coz that one is too dumb :-)..why, thank you for psychoanalizing my ‘liberal’ insecurities :-), now where should I send the check? Your mom’s basement would do? :-)

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM

The silver lining in a Romney defeat to Obama would be the slapdown of myth of his superior electablity compared to other candidates.

If that’s all Romney and his supporter essentially run on for the past 7 years, is that he’s electable, and he doesn’t win the election, I think that helps in future nominations not to fall for that kind of propaganda that isn’t provable.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM

How many endorsements do you think that Gingrich and Perry are going to get after their instinctive move to left of center to attack Romney?

When they could have stayed on topic with Health Care (oh wait, Gingrich is to the left of Romney on that one, too) or immigration (oh wait Perry is to the left of Romney on that one, too). Since Gingrich has worked for or did he give a history lesson to a Private Equity, or Vulture Capitalist Firm as he now calls it, after leaving Congress. Oh let’s not forget the great lessons he taught Fannie and Freddie. Let’s face it Gingrich is a lobbyist, great fun Obama will have with that one if Gingrich wins. I do not even want to think of the fun Obama would have with Perry, it is too painful.

The RINO cries are over, a true conservative does not exist for you Hot Gasers and/or Redstate Readers/Commentors. The attacks on those that do not support your ‘candidate’ have been vitriolic. I dare say the accusations of those supporting Romney as vicious or nasty pale in comparison.

Reagan would not be conservative enough for you. He signed the abortion legislation in 1968 in California. He reached across the aisle as President and gave amnesty without closing up the borders. You attack those that don’t agree with your candidate and call them stupid. Believe some grand conspiracy exists and everyone but you is stupid and being led like sheep to vote in the WRONG CANDIDATE. You sound like fascists.

uhangtight on January 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM

You don’t strike me as bright. Yet, you are voting for the guy that the media likes to portray as bright.

I have a theory that a lot of stupid Republican voters support Romney because they think that will cover up the fact that they are stupid. You can’t hide stupid, brother. You’ll be dumb rather you vote for Romney or not.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

FWIW, I’m pretty sure the Obama administration endorses Romney, too.

IcedTea on January 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM

if Romney is declared the nominee this early months before other states have their primaries.The days of Iowa and New Hampshire going first are a thing of the past.Others states will not stand by any longer and let 200,000 people in 2 small states pick maybe the next president. They will tell the RNC were to go.

logman1 on January 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Lot of voters are voting for a candidate that they want to see as a reflection of themselves. So if you are stupid, ugly, inarticulate, voting for Romney can appeal to you…you want to brand yourself with an image that some candidate has.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

You don’t strike me as bright.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

how can anyone strike you as bright when you are a simpleton and backward individual yourself?

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Hmmmm. Vice President Jeb Bush?

We know who would be wearing the Big Boy Pants in THAT Administration!

victor82 on January 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

the imbecility of your post speaks for itself…and this unfortunately cannot be hidden!

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 8:44 PM

You are not supporting Romney based on any ideas he has because you don’t know what his ideas and convictions are. Nobody does but Romney.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

exceller on January 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Rino’s feeling there oats and going to stampede… So many jokes to be made :)

Bunsin2 on January 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I keep wondering which of our Romneybots is the sock for DNLChisholm. Renmember that guy?

Sekhmet on January 12, 2012 at 8:50 PM

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Like LOL! OMG! Awesome!

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Geez, I’m going to have to buy another notebook. My list of reasons to never vote for Romneycare just keeps getting longer and longer.

james23 on January 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM

You strike me as some loser who goes to bars and tells the girls he voted for Romney. You want the perception of Romney as successful and intelligent and atttractive reflected back on you as a supporter.

Most Romney supporters are voting for superficial things. He not an ideas, political philophsy guy. He’s not an intellectual. I think he’s intelligent in an managerial, technocrat sort of way, but he’s not a thinker in general.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Mitt Romney still sucks . . .BIG TIME!

Pragmatic on January 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

logman1 on January 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Nice thought but I doubt it. Let’s face it the American public has the attention span of a 2 year old. Next time around we will all be b!cthin the same song.

Bunsin2 on January 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Given that Santorum towed the line for GWB, you’d think there would be a little more loyalty. Eh, these are Republicans we’re talking about!

ElenaKagan on January 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM

You don’t strike me as bright.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 8:44 PM

That’s it IQ tests at high noon!

Bunsin2 on January 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

quote fail

Bunsin2 on January 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

A politician like Santorum should win it, because he is honest about his convinctions and he’s willing to explain the logic behind his beliefs and decisions and talk to hostile crowds about it.

I can’t see Romney talking to a crowd who understands the problems with RomneyCare and Romney holding his own with them. He wants to hide behind talking points and doublespeak on that issue rather than have a dialogue about it with citizens.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

You strike me as some loser who goes to bars and tells the girls he voted for Romney. …Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Does That Work??!!

BoxHead1 on January 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Hey! Where you been?
You don’t get to take days off Doc!

KOOLAID2 on January 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Hey! Where you been?
You don’t get to take days off Doc!

KOOLAID2 on January 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Tell that to my boss. :)

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I’m a mechanical engineer who works for one of the top engineering consulting firms in the country. If you want to call engineers “simpletons” and “backward”, go for it, but let’s face it, it’s engineers that drive progress and the modern world that hicks like you take for granted.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

talking of defensive :-)…me calling engineers simpleton and backward, I sure did not to such thing :-), I have called YOU that, I don’t care what or who you are or pretend to be…I called you that based on your inane and irrational comments, and you are deserving of it, your education (was there any) would have transpired or surfaced in said comments, but that alas, that never happened…your only argument is that someone who doesn’t vote for the same candidate that you do, is somewhat ‘stupid’ or ‘insecure’ or whatever…well, Dr Freud, this in psychology (ever cracked open a psychology book in your life), is called ‘projection’, it’s pretty much that you are doing, projecting your own insecurities and lack of intelligence and intellectual curiosity on others…and when confronted, all you do is repeat like a parrot that you are an engineer working for so and so, as if this in itself meant anything…you being an engineer (were that to be true) does not make your comments less dumb, unfortunately…so, yeah, go sort out those projection issues out, am sure it’s curable…But, I am no shrink, sir, can’t help you!

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Jeb’s not that bad. Like 43 and 41, he’s somewhat conservative, but not a constitutional conservative.

therightwinger on January 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM

That was really good – 2000 points to jimver + 1 extra life.

BoxHead1 on January 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Jimver,

I’m not going to do tit for tat with you all night. You were being contentious for no reason and I responded in kind.

I tend to dislike people who assert, as you did, that if we don’t vote for Your Preferred Candidate, we are lesser people, less sane, less intelligent, less informed, etc.

Most of the people criticizing Romney are right in their criticism. Romney fans tend to be misinformed in general on healthcare policy and ROmney’s record in Mass, or they just want to whitewash it because they think he’s an attractive candidate at the surface level. I understand this.

I won’t respond to any future comments/attacks by you aimed at me.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

No, it seems you can’t hide stupid whether you want to or not…

peachaeo on January 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I will never in my life vote for another Bush.

One establishment whore supports another.

Big whoop.

fatlibertarianinokc on January 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

…superficial things, as opposed to the ‘deep and profound things’ that you vote for :-)…might you give a few examples of that? :-)…’he’s not an intellectual’, ‘not a thinker in general’, well, you cannot judge that for sure, not being one yourself, you lack the analytical tools and the gray matter for that sort of judgement…

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

“The reason I was successful was not because I was a flawless candidate or I ran a flawless campaign but it was because together we were able to give voice to this shared vision of what America should be. And I want you to know that I have kept faith with that vision all these years,” Obama said to a dinner audience that included former Senate colleagues Dick Durbin of Illinois and Claire McCaskill of Missouri and Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn.

Barack Obama 1/11/11.

Via Gateway Pundit.

…………..

Dissect this statement. Word by word. And, note the attendees.

Excuse me, Brock but you WERE the flawless candidate who RAN a flawless campaign.

I’m glad we have figured out what you “feel America should be”. And we will vote your ‘vision’ out in 2012.

/Maybe.

Mitt 2012. Continuing Brock’s Vision?

Explain, Mitt.

Key West Reader on January 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Here. Have a saucer of milk with your meow.

Key West Reader on January 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Now you Dr. Telsa shouldn’t have called jimver a hick(upthread) and you ,jimver, shouldn’t have said Dr. Telsa was projecting. You’ve both been wrong here.

BoxHead1 on January 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Look at you in your big boy pants. An engineer! Wow. Now I should take everything you say and believe it! We Romney supporters are just a bunch of dumb dumbs huh? I guess you finally figured it out, I’m just pretending to be a big smarty pants like our mechanical engineer buddy here, by supporting Romney. /sarc

Generally I’ve respected your posts even though I disagree with them, but now you’re coming across like a whiny child whose candidate is not doing well, so he resorts to insults. Sorry buddy. Better luck next time around in 2020.

luckedout26 on January 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Romnay needs to send “Jeb” Bush and McCain to stump for him in Fiji or something.

Two dullards who only remind people of a bad past.

profitsbeard on January 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Good, let more Bushes support Romney…pretty much tells us what the story is…will likely get Newt 10% more in the vote

georgealbert on January 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Okay, this is what must happen: Make Romney come in 5th place or lower in South Carolina. He will be laughed out of this election by Florida.

The Nerve on January 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I don’t have a horse in this race, a dog in this fight. I prefer Santorum at this point but doubt he has a realistic chance.

I’m not whining about Romney being the probable…I’m criticizing him for his liberal record and the market distortion and government involvement he support and implemented via Romneycare.

This is a republic…it’s not whining to criticize politicians. It’s part of being an interested citizen.

The good thing about a Romney Vs Obama matchup is at least 1 of the two main guys responsible for government overreach into medical decisions will lose and no longer be able to impact our lives. It’s a half win for Americans either way.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Sekhmet on January 12, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I dunno. The chisolm guy was fervent, but not as nasty as the latest batch. I don’t think he was nasty at all, just always linking to mittromneycentral or something.

ddrintn on January 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM

The Nerve on January 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Nikki Haley is touring with Romney + her party machinery is his for the using. If Romney doesn’t come in 1st or 2cnd then it means the south (-Florida) will not go Romney if there is an alternative. But Romney will almost surely come in 1st in SC unless something dramatic happens at the debates.

BoxHead1 on January 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Pro-Romney arguments can be articulated.

Masih ad-Dajjal on January 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Here’s what they are: He’s been a successful businessman. The polls and pundits tell me he’s electable, and really the only one who can beat Obama. Everyone else in the GOP is an unelectable joke who will lose in a landslide.

ddrintn on January 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Nikki Haley is touring with Romney + her party machinery is his for the using.

BoxHead1 on January 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Tyhe machinery would come in handy, but considering how unpopular Haley is in SC I doubt her association with Romney is a real plus. I believe she’s seen as more of a Romney lapdog.

ddrintn on January 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Haley only won SC by 4 points over the Democrat and a lot of her voters are pissed at her.

Romney only came in 4th in SC in 2008 despite outspending all the other candidates. I see him only taking 2nd in SC at best.

He will prpobably take Florida as it’s becoming a more liberal state.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Okay, I read the comments and i am already convinced that my new marching orders from the “true conservatives” is that i must hate Jeb Bush,

But before i do so, may i ask 2 questions?

1) Why is Jeb Bush a RINO? What did he do as governor that makes him a RINO?

2) Why is Jeb bush not allowed to endorse Romney ? Does he have to endorse the guy who endorsed DEDE whatever her name is in NY? Because if endorsing Romney is the reason it makes Bush a RINO, then when Newt endorsed DEDE in NY he endorsed the RINO as well, So who the heck is Jeb supposed to endorse????

Oh the hypocrisy,

OrthodoxJew on January 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

ddrintn on January 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I didn’t know that. I assumed she was popular. Well, he’s got the party apparatus so if he can’t win , place or show there then he will lose the entire south.

I see him only taking 2nd in SC at best.
..Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Who gets #1?

BoxHead1 on January 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Who said Jeb Bush was not allowed to endorse Romney?

You are distorting this. He can endorse whoever he wants but people are free to criticize him for as well. That’s how free speech works, brother.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I see all the RINO’s are coming out of the woodworks

liberal4life on January 12, 2012 at 9:43 PM

BoxHead1 on January 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I live in SC, and I can tell you Nikki Haley’s endorsement means diddly.

Romney’s numbers in SC are inflated. He has been running ads left and right because his campaign is the only one with cash to burn. All that is about to change, and there is a lot of money coming down the chute to tear down Romney. Plus, conservative Southerners don’t have much use for liberal Yanks.

Romney will not take first in SC. He will probably get 2nd place due solely to momentum & cash, or possibly 3rd if the attacks really stick.

IcedTea on January 12, 2012 at 9:44 PM

This is gonna take political WAR….

I fear for our Republic, I really do.

golfmann on January 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Who gets #1?

BoxHead1 on January 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I have no idea, this is a weird field. I’d say either Santorum or Gingrich. I think Perry’s a nonfactor at this point.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM

From what I remember reading, Romney didn’t take Iowa either. Weren’t there some votes that went to Romney that should have went to Rick? One of my doctors is from Iowa and keeps up on the latest there and he showed me an article from there that said they gave Romney something like 20 votes when it should have been 2. Rick Santorum actually won Iowa. But the media and apparently some on here would like us to believe otherwise.

noneoftheabove on January 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM

It’s funny how much Romney supporters hate Palin. They still campaign against her and she’s not in the mix.

Palin is a conservative and she would not have meddled in our medical decisions like Romney did. Yet they so hate her. They call themselves wise, sober, serious, etc.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Mitt now at 34% nationally. Keep it up Sarah, Todd, angryed, promachus, punchenko, flappa jacka etc, etc, etc .

Basilsbest on January 12, 2012 at 9:43 PM

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Money may not be buying Mitt Romney much Republican love, but it’s going a long way toward helping him buy the next best thing: endorsements in the GOP primaries.

Romney’s Free and Strong America PAC and its affiliates states have lavished close to $1.3 million in campaign donations to federal, state and local GOP politicians, almost all since 2010. His recipients include officials in the major upcoming primary states of New Hampshire and South Carolina, and in three southern Super Tuesday states where he was trounced four years ago.

ENDORSEMENT? BECAUSE JEB BUSH IS NEXT IN 2016!

The nerve of the GOP establishment.

TheAlamos on January 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Who gets #1?

BoxHead1 on January 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM

That’s the rub. There is no clear winner between Newt and Santorum.

I normally don’t care about pols until the event is within a week or 2 (like a weather forecast). For me,the latest polls are authoritative. They can change but what they say now has real meaning.

BoxHead1 on January 12, 2012 at 9:56 PM

How do you get this excited about the Romneycare, flip flopper guy?

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

You don’t.

KirknBurker on January 12, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Mitt now at 41% in Florida. Bolton, DeMint, Jeb Bush, etc, on board, but still lacking the coveted Todd & Sarah Palin endorsement.

Basilsbest on January 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Nate Silver at NYT shows Mitt as looking very strong in S Carolina and beyond…He’s rarely wrong…

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Of course. It was me and Saran and Todd and Flappa who said I LIKE TO FIRE PEOPLE on national TV angryed on January 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM

He said he likes to be able to fire people who don’t provide a service. I like to fire incompetents and liars. Here’s looking at Obama and you Mr. Angry.

Basilsbest on January 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Read my hips……..no more Bushes.

PappyD61 on January 12, 2012 at 10:00 PM

That’s the rub. There is no clear winner between Newt and Santorum.

BoxHead1 on January 12, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Well, in my view, if Romney finished 4th in 2008 when healthcare policy wasn’t a big national issue, he should finish less than 4th this year when it is a big issue and he essentially would take the issue off the table vs. Obama.

I’m not saying Romney won’t win SC….lot of people have fallen for this notion that only he can beat Obama, plus Romney is benefiting from divided conservative vote.

I wish we had a primary run-off…it would make a Romney candidacy more acceptable if he had to win a majority of Republican voters rather than plurarity of mostly diehard moderates and scared conservative voters.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM

First that Bolton maroon, with the gay-looking late ’70′s Castro District ‘stache, endorses Mittens and now the other Bush son.

“Amazing Marco” Rubio should be next. Then, after Florida, West and DeMint. RINO’s on Broadway!

Meanwhile, out of the limelight, Rick “I don’t have a problem with that” Perry is creeping up on ‘em to surprise them.

“Endorsements? I don’t need no stinkin’ endorsements! I got named boots!” Giddy-up!

Horace on January 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM

This is for Barbara.

I heard Jeb likes Florida. I hope he stays there.

PappyD61 on January 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I think Newt is most likely to take first in SC.

IcedTea on January 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Intrade has Romney at 85.6%

I guess Jeb Bush can do simple math.

VorDaj on January 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 9:56 PM

You might want to read his latest:

I wrote on Wednesday that I expected Mitt Romney to expand his modest lead in the South Carolina polls once his victory in New Hampshire was reflected in the surveys there.

Instead, the first poll of the state after New Hampshire suggests just the opposite and shows Mr. Romney’s lead contracting in South Carolina, although I would urge a lot of caution in interpreting it.

McDuck on January 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM

What’s funny is SC is usually dumped on as being anti-Mormon yet most Romney fans think he’s a lock to win there now. Maybe South Carolina isn’t what the stereotypes suggest?

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I think Newt is most likely to take first in SC.

IcedTea on January 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM

What’s your sense about how Santorum will play in SC?

BoxHead1 on January 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I think South Carolinians are more fiscally conservative than Iowans, and I don’t see how a fiscal conservative supports the RomneyCare guy. Throw in the fact that Romney supported the ban on semi-automatic weapons in Mass and he has some problems, if the other candidates can get their act together.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM

This Just In: Franklin D. Roosevelt crawls out of grave to endorse Romney!

“He’s conservative enough for me!” proclaims dead-serious FDR.

TheClearRiver on January 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM

The real question was did FDR get to vote in NH?

Bunsin2 on January 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

This FDR:

swamp_yankee on January 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM

McDuck on January 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM

or that (and it’s pretty much how Nate Silver concludes his analysis):

‘I’m not quite ready to say that Mr. Romney has the nomination locked up, but when you evaluate the known unknowns, they don’t seem that threatening to him.’

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM

McDuck on January 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM

and this below too. he projects the vote for Romney in S Carolina at 35%, with chances of him winning at 87%

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Romney may be the first candidate we put up who is without a doubt going to lose his home state to Obama.

Yet he’s our most electable guy?

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I wonder how many presidents won despite losing their home state. I’d be willing to say 0.

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Which is Romney’s home state NH, MI, UT, MA?

He’s the only candidate who can win MI and NH.

swamp_yankee on January 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM

He’s the only candidate who can win MI and NH.

swamp_yankee on January 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM

probably MA is the least of his ‘home states’ of the ones enumerated by you :-)…and he definitely is the only one of the current bunch who can win MI.

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Dr. Tesla on January 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Isn’t that the same “electable” BS the RNC kept spouting about RINO McCain in 2008? What are we, a bunch of numbskulls?

TheClearRiver on January 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM

How about we not endorse Romney and listen to our conscience.

apocalypse on January 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Listening to our conscience is rewarding

apocalypse on January 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Seriously, does anyone here believe Romneybots aren’t getting paid per comment?

Masih ad-Dajjal on January 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I think bots only get paid for any replies they get.

bluefox on January 13, 2012 at 1:03 AM