New Gingrich ad: Romney speaks French, you know

posted at 8:55 pm on January 12, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Matt Lewis, this is the second time in two days that Newt’s team has turned an otherwise effective spot into a caricature of an attack ad. Yesterday it was the old business about the dog on the roof of his car, today it’s the fact that, like a certain other filthy rich politician from Massachusetts whom conservatives disdain, Romney speaks French. Doesn’t famous brainiac Newt Gingrich speak a foreign language or two, or ten? This would have been a jolly fun zinger two presidential elections ago, but in case Newt hasn’t heard, we fight wars alongside the French now and everything. What does it prove? That Romney’s an elitist phony? Good news — the base already knows.

That’s the first ad below. The second is a 60-second spot his Super PAC started airing in South Carolina today. (There’s a 30-second version too.) Looks like those reports about Team Newt backing off the Bain attacks were wrong. Or were they?

A source close to wealthy donor Sheldon Adelson, who is under fire for giving $5 million to a pro-Newt Gingrich super PAC that began running TV ads attacking Mitt Romney’s career in private equity, distanced the Las Vegas casino magnate from the ads on Thursday…

And while the Adelson source said the casino magnate was “indifferent” to the “fuss,” he also strongly implied that Adelson did not want the money he gave to Gingrich to be used for ads attacking Romney’s private equity career.

“I think people want to draw a conclusion that the money goes in and all $5 million is directed just towards $5 million of Bain Capital attacks on Mitt Romney, and that that’s exactly what Mr. Adelson wanted that money to be spent on,” the Adelson source said. “What if you donate to the Red Cross, and they do a hundred different things and you wanted it to just go to people in Haiti, and they sent it to people in Somalia instead and you didn’t think that was a priority? Are you going to call the Red Cross and demand that they just send the money to Haiti? You make a donation on a basis that the people receiving the money are going to spend it in the best way that you see fit,” the source added.

Probably doesn’t matter. If Newt wins South Carolina and emerges as the Not Romney, he’ll have plenty of money flowing in from the base even if Adelson walks away. If he doesn’t win, he’s almost certainly finished even if Adelson’s willing to keep writing checks.

I can’t help feeling like there’s some happy yet unexplored middle ground ad-wise between crude Bain demagoguery and “Romney speaks French” stupidity. Any ideas, guys? Any weak spots for Mitt Romney out there that might exploited to great effect among the conservative base? Shoot me any suggestions you might have in the comments. Exit quotation from Philip Klein about the Super PAC’s new Bain ads: “Can’t wait for sequel ‘When Newt Came to town,’ about a historian who gives frank lectures that create millions of jobs.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

we fight wars alongside the French now and everything

And eat french fries.

davidk on January 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Cause knowing a foreign language is terrible!

blatantblue on January 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Its obvious that Newt has nothing. He isn’t campaigning on any of his own ideas and strengths, he is attempting to campaign on clubbing Romney. I don’t want to hear what Newt dislikes about another candidate or why I shouldn’t vote for another candidate, I want to know why Newt thinks I deserve his vote and why I should cast it for him.

He still comes across as a whiner.

crosspatch on January 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM

This is a real spot? “Just like John Kerry…he speaks French!” It’s like a joke spot that Romney would put out.

sobincorporated on January 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Well there goes my chance I guess.

au revoir

Bunsin2 on January 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Merde alors!

KingGold on January 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Laissez les bons temps roulez! New Orleans Saints for Mitt Romney!

Buy Danish on January 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

There would not be an America without the French. And there would not be a France without America. We can never fully repay the debt of honor we owe to France. Like them or not, we owe them our very existence. As long as there is an America, there will be a France.

crosspatch on January 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Newt is secretly running for Obama’s VP slot. I predict he’ll get it.

katy on January 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I think we should hit him on his hair. He quite clearly shares hair care products with John Edwards.

somnicide on January 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I reject the notion that Mitt Romney is an elitist phony. He’s very upfront about his elitism and there’s nothing phony about that — I like that because it’s kinda like having “Fraiser Crane” as the nominee.

ScottMcC on January 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Heh. I speak passable French. Am I supposed to love Mittens now and hate the provincial rube Newt? This is all so confusing. F**k it I’m writing in Mickey Mouse.

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Newt-ayette, we are here!

profitsbeard on January 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Newtplosion on Hannity now.

Philly on January 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM

“Truth to power, Newt! Get in his face!!

That Mitt boy is all Oui Oui’ed up!

Although, this is a good time to remind everyone that the French are our strongest allies.” — King Barky the Magnanimouse

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Gotta like the shot gun clay breaking effect. It makes it much manlier.

“You don’t want to vote for Romney he kills republican kittens for fun…”

/s

Bunsin2 on January 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM

And Newt is whining

Philly on January 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Fraiser Crane” as the nominee.

ScottMcC on January 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I’d be okay with that. Kelsey Grammer!

bluealice on January 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM

crosspatch on January 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Good comment. And we don’t want to forget their gift of Lady Liberty.

davidk on January 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Allah, you bitch because it’s you’re greatest source of personal pleasure, and I do mean pleasure in very sense. It would be more wholesome if you had some ulterior motive, some candidate you’re covertly supporting, but no. So you constantly bitch about Newt. You constantly bitch about Romney. You constantly bitch about every candidate. By guess is you’re developing a new ethics – a perversion of the natural-law/teleological tradition – upholding bitching as the one and only end in itself.

Newt’s ads were pretty good, BTW.

BCrago66 on January 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I dont worry about Mitt Romney speaking French he probably flip flops in that language as well.

Dieu Mon

William Amos on January 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Donnez-moi une bière et un bourbon, s’il vous plait.

novaculus on January 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Cause knowing a foreign language is terrible!

blatantblue on January 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Well … to be honest, wasting ones time learning French is sort of creepy.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Bain Capital, here we come. Oh, Newt likes the Washington Post again. Awwwww….

Philly on January 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Who is the Hot Gas chick that gets moist because Romney knows French? Ooh, la la.

carbon_footprint on January 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

ScottMcC on January 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I never quite put it in those terms, but yes I can totally see that analogy.

Bunsin2 on January 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Does Newt secretly work for Mitt?

With each day, ad, and interview, I dislike Newt more and begin to accept the unacceptable, Mitt, a little more.

And, if I hear Newt Gingrich question Mitt Romney’s “character” one more time….

I would rather be Mitt Romney’s dog than one of Newt Gingrich’s wives.

Resist We Much on January 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

What have you done, Newt, to lead anything since you were run out of the House Speakership? Make a video? Take money from Fannie and Freddie? Be an advisor to a VC investment firm?

Philly on January 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Well … to be honest, wasting ones time learning French is sort of creepy.

He apparently learned it for his Mormon mission. Not exactly elitist stuff.

bluealice on January 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Newt est le gros coq au merde.

profitsbeard on January 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Commit adultery AGAIN and trade in a wife AGAIN?

Philly on January 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Sacre bleu. Quelle dommage. Newt est forcené.

Basilsbest on January 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Newt is making Mitt Romney look even better.

GO MITT!!

bluegill on January 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

In the words of David Byrn:

“You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?”

As a libertarian (in philosophy, not the lame-a$$ party) who thinks RP would be a terrible President, I find myself… rooting for Ron Paul.

Jeez.

peski on January 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Is it because Newt agrees (or has in the past) with Romney’s big faults that he won’t hit him on those issues but these stupid, peripheral “issues”? It’s embarrassing for Newt.

ROMNEYCARE indeed. Why oh why hasn’t anyone hit Romney on that? Can’t Ron Paul throw something together?

I recall the flip-flop message worked well against Kerry in ’04. Romney’s shifting positions is a no-brainer. Plus, I’d play his comments about running like a Dem in Mass and Republicans are bad on a loop in SC.

conservative pilgrim on January 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Oh, I dunno, Newt. I think you can beat Obama. I think Mitt can beat Obama. I think either of the Ricks can beat Obama. I think Doktor Tinfoil can beat Obama … Okay, I was just joking there … But I think Tim Tebow can beat Obama (in fact, I beleive Tim can landslide Obama). I think Mitch Rapp could beat Obama. I think Allahpundit could beat Obama. I think minnesoter (that’s me) could beat Obama. I think my dog, Chip, could beat Obama. I think Moochelle Ma Belle could beat Obama. I think David Axlerod … wait .. OMG .. [Skaaaaaaa reeeeeeeech! thumpa thumpa thumpa … BOOOOOM!!!

Sorry.

I over reached.

minnesoter on January 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Creepy?

blatantblue on January 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

That second ad may as well have been done by the DNC. I can’t get over that we’re seeing that garbage from fellow Republicans. If Newt thinks this will somehow lead people to his corner, he’s sadly mistaken.

changer1701 on January 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

And Newt is whining

Philly on January 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Charlie Sheen: #winning

Newt Gingrich: #whining

Resist We Much on January 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Oh, God no…not the, not the….F word!!!!!

Well, since we have a French-bashing thread going, a new evolution vs. creationism thread can’t possibly be far behind.

Il fait trop beau por travailles.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

He apparently learned it for his Mormon mission. Not exactly elitist stuff.

bluealice on January 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

He did his mission work at Harvard?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Laissez les bons temps roulez! New Orleans Saints for Mitt Romney!

Buy Danish on January 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Laissez les bons temps rouler sur Romney!

Axe on January 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Newt’s deep-thinkin’ middle ground was the dog ad.

whatcat on January 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I am thinking Romneycare might be a fruitful area to explore in an ad.

msmveritas on January 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

The best way to have run against Mitt was from the right, not this Bain crap.
How hard would it have been to run ads showing him yukking it up with Teddy at the RomneyCare signing ceremony.

jjshaka on January 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I guess the mystery about who’s behind the Huntsman is a Chinese speaking Manchurian candidate video is solved.

Lily on January 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Try again

Well … to be honest, wasting ones time learning French is sort of creepy.

He apparently learned it for his Mormon mission. Not exactly elitist stuff.

bluealice on January 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

ScottMcC on January 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM

That’s how I plan to rationalize my vote for Mitt – along with a couple of scotches.

peski on January 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Creepy?

blatantblue on January 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Why so serious?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

New Gingrich ad: Romney speaks French, you know

Well duh, we here already know that. sheryl has been telling us that for months.

Oh-la-la and all that other stuff.

cozmo on January 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Cette homme, Gingrich, il est un idiot, ou il est fou, ou les deux.

novaculus on January 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

jjshaka on January 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Correct. Newt has made himself the stupidest smartest man in the room.

peski on January 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Does Newt secretly work for Mitt?

And, if I hear Newt Gingrich question Mitt Romney’s “character” one more time….

I would rather be Mitt Romney’s dog than one of Newt Gingrich’s wives.

Resist We Much on January 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Fabulous endorsement Todd. Next time, tell Sarah to do it herself.

Basilsbest on January 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I have this overwhelming urge to suffocate Newt every time he opens his fat arrogant mouth….and if I sought help, they would agree with me.

rubberneck on January 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Oh,mon Dieu! How you say we are f*$#ed in french??!

NYCguy2020 on January 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I am thinking Romneycare might be a fruitful area to explore in an ad.

msmveritas on January 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

How inventive!

minnesoter on January 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Newt weaseling out of his Bain debacle on Hannity. Something along the lines of just asking Romney to explain is all. Guy thinks we are all so malleable that we fall for his blah.

jeanie on January 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM

He did his mission work at Harvard?

Har!! You’re a funny guy. That’s it?

bluealice on January 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Funny ad. !

stenwin77 on January 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM

MITT—-FLIP FLOP.

Mitt Flip Flop!

Mitt Flip Flop!

Mitt Flip Flop!

Mitt Flip Flop!

He is what he is.

PappyD61 on January 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM

How inventive!

minnesoter on January 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Merci beaucoup :)

msmveritas on January 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

How about pointing to Romney’s hypocrisy in demagoguing social security reform while in his private career he raided pension funds for profit?

promachus on January 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Well … to be honest, wasting ones time learning French is sort of creepy.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Unless you want to read french poetry in French, like Ver Vert, which is about a parrot that lives with nuns, gets out and learns to cuss among sailors, and proceeds to wreak mayhem.

… all right, I admit there are words to describe this, but surely “creepy” isn’t one of them.

Axe on January 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Well … to be honest, wasting ones time learning French is sort of creepy.

Not nearly as creepy as supporting Freddie Mac Gingrich.

Basilsbest on January 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

And we all know what a salle de bain is.

John the Libertarian on January 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

OWS Gingrich. No thanks. In his bid to smash and destroy everything during his fit of petulance, he’s unaware what a backlash he’s creating.

obladioblada on January 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Funny ad.

Allah, I get the feeling you’re mad.

Flapjackmaka on January 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

How come Hot Air never posted Mitt attack ads and how stupid they were?

promachus on January 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

carbon_footprint on January 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

How could anyone forget sheryl?

cozmo on January 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

He apparently learned it for his Mormon mission. Not exactly elitist stuff.

bluealice on January 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

He did his mission work at Harvard?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Yeah, defiantly elitist…we should go with some body from state school…like Perry…OH WAIT!

rubberneck on January 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

crosspatch on January 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

We certainly owe a lot to the Marquis de Lafayette for his crucial role in the Revolutionary War. And the Louisiana Purchase had an immeasurable effect on us becoming the greatest nation in the world. And yes, they gave us the Statue of Liberty. But we also saved then from speaking German, so it seems to me our debt was repaid in blood and treasure. What am I missing here?

Buy Danish on January 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

The video was actually pretty good otherwise. The French thing was nothing but a distraction from the good parts.

Southernblogger on January 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Merci beaucoup :)

msmveritas on January 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

lol

Axe on January 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Oh,mon Dieu! How you say we are f*$#ed in french??!

NYCguy2020 on January 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Nous sommes f*$#ed!

novaculus on January 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Smokes crack with gay prostitutes?

Speaks French because he was actually born in France?

Just what were his grades at Harvard Law?

JohnGalt23 on January 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

What planet is Newton from?

VorDaj on January 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Not nearly as creepy as supporting Freddie Mac Gingrich.

Basilsbest on January 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Or having been schooled in Bahasa.

But no one cared to talk about those things … so we’re left with the French. That’s cool. The French are always worth a laugh.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

jjshaka, you’re correct. Perry and Newt screwed the pooch with the Bain attack.

Romney was a Mormon missionary in France. Learning French would be useful in that situation.

Philly on January 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Fraiser Crane” as the nominee.

ScottMcC on January 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I’d be okay with that. Kelsey Grammer!

bluealice on January 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I’m down for that! He could handle the illegal immigration problem like this.

:D

whatcat on January 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Axe on January 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Sounds funny, is there an English translation?

peski on January 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

This thread is like having Poirot on in the living room :)

Axe on January 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Not nearly as creepy as supporting Freddie Mac Gingrich.

Basilsbest on January 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

BTW, I don’t think Newtered has any supporters.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Frites de la liberté!

McDuck on January 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I would rather be Mitt Romney’s dog than one of Newt Gingrich’s wives.

Resist We Much on January 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Emperor Augustus saw what you did there… [¶5]

de rigueur on January 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Gingrich’s daddy was in the Army. So what you say? I don’t know either, why does he keep bringing it up.
Me fathers a lawyer in England
Me mother makes synthetic gin
Me sister sells love to the Navy
My God how the money rolls in.

borntoraisehogs on January 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Well … to be honest, wasting ones time learning French is sort of creepy.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Ever speak French to an American woman? Try it, you might just get laid.

rubberneck on January 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Oh, God no…not the, not the….F word!!!!!

Il fait trop beau por travailles.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

pour :-) not ‘por’ …yeah, another French speaker here :-)

jimver on January 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

How come Hot Air never posted Mitt attack ads and how stupid they were?
promachus on January 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Romney’s attacking Gingrich for speaking French?

whatcat on January 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Well … to be honest, wasting ones time learning French is sort of creepy.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Why?

McDuck on January 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Oh I love it when a plan comes together….Hey Newt, I heard Mitt tore the tag off his mattress ;)

Dr Evil on January 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

We need a strong candidate to overhaul the damage by Obama. Gingrich is the guy.

balkanmom on January 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Well, 30% of Republican Party don’t even know PRINCIPLE anymore.

Stop making a case about the Ad!

You may win this election (which is unthinkable if Romney’s the candidate) but, in the end, it’s a loss overall to the principles of conservatism that made America as the most prosperous nation in the world!

Romney symbolizes the disease of the Republican Party!

TheAlamos on January 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Sounds funny, is there an English translation?

peski on January 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Oh sure! Poetry translates a little cross-eyed is all. But search Ver Vert (sometimes vert vert, etc.) — but it’s digital, everywhere :)

Trivia: Poe lists it as one of Usher’s reading materials in The Fall. But I can’t say anymore because I’ll completely dime myself out if I say another word about it.

Axe on January 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Oh, no! He speaks French! AAAARRRRRGHHGGHGGH!

Mais je parle un peu francais aussi. I speak it slowly and read it okay, but when it gets difficult when someone starts speaking it rapidly (in other words, French-style). You have to get the “ear” for it. If you don’t hear it for a while, you lose it. I think everyone should learn a foreign language, at least the basics. It teaches you where English came from and how lucky we are to speak it.

Ich spreche ein bischen Deutsch, auch.

Se habla Espanol. Dos cervezas, por favore! (In a Mexican restaurant, always order two beers at a time.)

Elric on January 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Ever speak French to an American woman? Try it, you might just get laid.
rubberneck on January 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

On the plus side of that is, if she doesn’t understand French you could speak Pepé Le Pew type gibberish and not even bother with having to learn to parlyvoo.

whatcat on January 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Script for Newt’s South Carolina TV spot:

FADE IN ON A B&W CANDID PHOTO OF MITT ROMNEY – PREFERABLY WITH HIS MOUTH OPEN AND EYES IN MID-BLINK

CUE EVIL-SOUNDING MUSIC FROM EITHER A ROYALTY-FREE MUSIC CD OR TANGERINE DREAM

VOICE OVER OF GRAVEL VOICED MALE ANNOUNCER: Newt Gingrich, a principled Reagan conservative, wants YOU to know that Mitt Romney is a MORMON. Yes, a Mormon. While a principled Reagan conservative like Newt Gringrich does NOT have a problem with Mormons, he’s a historian that knows there are some voters in South Carolina that DO have a problem with Mormons and their strange and different ways such as attending a church assigned to their local area or buying up businesses and closing them down for a profit.

FADE OUT SCARY MUSIC AND CRAPPY PICTURE OF ROMNEY

FADE IN ON A SMILING PICTURE OF NEWT FROM THE SHOULDERS UP TO HIDE HOW FAT HE’S GOTTEN

CUE SOARING, ORCHESTRAL MUSIC THAT DOESN’T SOUND LIKE IT WAS WRITTEN BY SOME EUROPEAN COMPOSER

VOICE OVER OF HAPPY, ENERGETIC FEMALE ANNOUNCER THAT SHOULDN’T SOUND TOO OLD OR SOUND FOREIGN BUT ALSO SHOULDN’T SOUND LIKE NEWT WOULD DROP CALLISTA FOR HER: This Tuesday, vote to fundamentally change the fundamentals of this, the most fundamentally important primary election of our lifetime. Vote for Newt Gingrich.

ScottMcC on January 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Well … to be honest, wasting ones time learning French is sort of creepy.

Dites moi pourquoi la vie est belle

Buy Danish on January 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I know what Gingrich is trying to do here, but Romney could counter to Newt, “Are you xenophobic?” and explain he learned French for his mission. (and I’m NOT a Romney supporter)

The whole attack from Newt is baseless and exemplifies why people can’t stand politicians. No substance whatsoever, and there’s so much substance to hit Romney on. Someone said above that this only makes Romney look good by comparison. *sigh* What a depressing group of candidates.

conservative pilgrim on January 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Mitt ‘Milquetoast’ Romney STILL sucks!

Pragmatic on January 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM