Quotes of the day

posted at 10:40 pm on January 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

“‘I don’t want America to be a nation that’s primarily known for financial speculation,’ the president said during the event in the East Room. ‘I want us to be known for making and selling products all over the world stamped with three proud words: ‘Made in America.’

“To be sure, the president made no mention of Romney directly, but he has been critical of Wall Street before and the tenor of his remarks neatly complimented Vice President Biden’s assail on the former Massachusetts governor Tuesday, when he told New Hampshire Democrats via teleconference that Romney cares more about stockholders than employees.”

***

“Rick Santorum took a nameless swipe at Republicans who have been criticizing Mitt Romney’s time at Bain Capital.

“‘It’s this hostile rhetoric, which unfortunately – I don’t want to stand here and be a defender of Mitt Romney,’ Santorum said to a friendly crowd here tonight, ‘but unfortunately some in our party now, even some running for president will engage in with respect to capitalism. It is bad enough for Barack Obama to blame folks in business for causing problems in this country. Its one other thing for Republicans to join him.’”

***

“Jon Huntsman on Wednesday joined the chorus of Republicans urging Mitt Romney’s opponents to tone down their attacks on the former Massachusetts governor over his time at the investment firm Bain Capital.

“‘If you have creative destruction in capitalism, which has always been a part of capitalism, it becomes a little disingenuous to take on Bain Capital,’ Huntsman told reporters Wednesday after a campaign appearance at the University of South Carolina in Columbia. ‘I think it’s more instructive to look at governor Romney’s record as governor.’”

***

“We have heard a lot over the last couple months about the anti-Romney sentiment in the Republican party. However, this statistic suggests that, in New Hampshire at any rate, Romney is the only candidate with whom a majority of the party is satisfied. The rest of the candidates seem to have alienated more than half of the GOP.

“That is Romney’s biggest advantage, far and away.”

***

“‘He’s going to have to defend this,’ Perry said in an interview on ‘Fox and Friends’ on Wednesday morning. ‘And better in January than September if he’s going to be our nominee and have to explain.’”

Via Breitbart TV.

***

“‘I think their argument fell flat here in New Hampshire. They tried it very hard, ran ads here, were up and down the state campaigning, and people in the state here said, ‘look, we want a guy who spent some time in the private sector, not someone who spent their entire life in Washington.’ So I think it’s working for my benefit,’ the former Massachusetts governor said.”

***

“Perry began the segment attacking President Obama, but Hannity quickly shifted gears to the ‘very harsh words’ Perry has had for Romney. ‘It almost sounds like Occupy Wall Street,’ he noted, ‘it doesn’t sound like someone who is governing Texas as a conservative.’”

***

Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

From Dan Reihl’s “Conservatives Are Being Played, Perry And Gingrich Are Right”
Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Sorry, but Dan Reihl is interchangeable with Erick Erickson. He’ll try to excuse any Perry folly.

whatcat on January 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM

From American Thinker’s “Mitt Romney and the Hypocrisy of Bain Capital”

By contrast, Mitt Romney was primarily what is affectionately known as a vulture investor. Bain Capital invested in failing companies with the intention of either restructuring their business or stripping the business and selling its assets. This business model often adversely affects a company’s employees. To be fair, if the company had gone bankrupt on its own, that would have adversely affected the company’s employees too. The question Republican primary voters need to ask themselves is not whether Mitt Romney did anything illegal or immoral. In a climate of near 10% unemployment, do Republicans want a vulture investor to be the face of their party?

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Mittbots profess themselves to be smarter than anyone else.
Accusing someone of being anti-capitalist because they don’t like Bain/Romney is like accusing someone of being anti-automobile because they mock the Chevy Volt.
angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Rush Limbaugh is a “Mittbot”. Alllrighty then.

whatcat on January 12, 2012 at 1:39 AM

You’re a creep.

BabyGrace on January 12, 2012 at 1:35 AM

It’s a Dem troll. Every time you acknowledge it, it comes back for more. Stop feeding it and eventually it goes away.

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Oh and it will be Walker/Someone in 2016. Count it! :)

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Rush Limbaugh is a “Mittbot”. Alllrighty then.

whatcat on January 12, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Sigh…

Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer. He says whatever he thinks will attract the most listeners.

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM

whatcat on January 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Shooting the messenger but refusing to address the message is a Lefty tactic.

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Sarah Palin is actually running for President of the United States.
CoolChange80 on January 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM

???

McDuck on January 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Michael Barone on the NH primary: “The exit poll makes it clear that Romney has connected with many self-described conservative and tea party Republicans. His standard speech includes encomiums of the Founding Fathers and quotations from the Declaration of Independence.”

Surprise… Romney getting the tea party conservatives.

Yes, if they heard what we did in Mitt’s NH speech last night: “We can’t abandon the core values that define us as a unique nation… Obama wants to fundamentally transform America. We want to restore America to the founding principles that made this country great… We want to ensure that we remain a free and prosperous land of opportunity… This president is making the govt bigger, burdensome, and bloated. I will make the govt smaller, simpler, and smarter..” –M.R.

anotherJoe on January 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Carthoris on January 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Sure. Willard is the nominee. Everyone and their cousin will be endorsing him. That’s how the game is played. Endorse now, get ambassador to France next year.

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:26 AM

You know I love Perry-but he ain’t getting the nomination. That ship has sailed. The ‘problem’ is Barack Obama-not Mitt Romney.
I am so DONE with this circular firing-squad. ABO(except Ronulan of course) Btw: I think Perry and Newt’s ‘vulture capitalism’ attacks on Mitt…were wrong.
*You’re great. NOT an attack on you. Just my opinion.*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM

It’s not even a fun one though. I engage it by telling it to go enjoy the state of CA that he professes to live in. If I were paying what he’s paying in rent per sq. ft., I wouldn’t be on a blog.

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Ruthless rich CEO who likes handing out pink slips with a smile on his face

liberal4life on January 11, 2012 at 10:56 PM

With only the slight correction I did (the guy/gal need not be rich), you just described the type of person I want in charge of the most bloated and inefficient workforce in the world –The US federal government! It is time to start firing left and right.

Off with their heads!

APasserBy on January 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Be sure if you click on the link to read the comments as they spank the author real good.

Carthoris on January 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM

anotherJoe on January 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Willard is saying great things. His speech in NH was fantastic. But I simply do not believe a word of it. His record as governor of MA (what he actually did as opposed to what he says) is the complete opposite.

He raised spending. He raised taxes. He increased the size and scope of govt in everything from health care to cap n trade. I care about what people do, not what they say. And what he’s done is not remotely conservative.

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Sarah Palin is actually running for President of the United States.
CoolChange80 on January 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I know your heartbroken-but she’s not.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I will make the govt smaller, simpler, and smarter..

Is there no end to him plagiarizing Palin?

promachus on January 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Yes, just like Allah, they think the writing is on the wall and that Mitt will be the nominee — they will still need readers/listeners in that event. Kissing up to Mitt now guarantees that. In fact, I think that’s why there was open registation here. There were very few Mittbots before; now there are dozens. Allah’s making sure this blog survives a Mitt nomination.

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Carthoris on January 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM

So?

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Well, there’ hope till the end of February though. Now that Perry ship has sailed why don’t you join the Palin club?

promachus on January 12, 2012 at 1:46 AM

???

McDuck on January 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Isn’t it time to worry about contraception again?

I thought that was a beyond low blow. But apparently, you didn’t. :) To each his own.

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I’m supporting Perry as long as he remains in the race. I’m also a realist.
ABO.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I think she meant pub. :)

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM

If Mitt Romney is the great businessman he and his supporters proclaim he is, then why do they always try to shut down any discussion of his business record?

JonBGood on January 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM

PPP releasing a SC poll friday. Tweet said that Romney got no bounce and Gingrich catapulted santorum. Newt vs Mitt in SC apparently.
From PPP twitter. They have done good polls on IA and NH, so SC could be right.

going to bed. last comment. night

Flapjackmaka on January 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM

You are really being a bore. I used Freudian Slip as an example of someone unintentionally revealing something, letting it, you know, slip. In the case of the Princesse I “believe” she let it slip that she hadn’t read the book, just owned it. It’s not an exact science, but it’s logical nevertheless because I have endured weeks of perfectly asinine, idiotic comments directed at me, and during that time I’ve reached certain conclusions about her.

Over and Out.

Buy Danish on January 12, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Saying “I own a book” isn’t a Freudian Slip in this universe, BD. You’re just being an ass.

Good Solid B-Plus on January 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM

promachus on January 12, 2012 at 1:46 AM

If Palin is the nominee I’ll work my ass off for her.
That’s a promise.
Fair enough
I like her better than Mitt.
Yeah-I said it.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM

APasserBy on January 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Except that he’s never fired off govt. workers when he had the chance. He does that with his private employees though.

promachus on January 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM

whatcat on January 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Shooting the messenger but refusing to address the message is a Lefty tactic.
Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM

So you accept the “message” of those who’ve endorsed Romney, then? (And it’s a long list of people who are a bit more respected than some blogger). Or do you shoot those “messengers”?

whatcat on January 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM

We already know that Mitt Romney will say anything to get elected.

If we look at Mitt’s business record, will we also find that Mitt Romney was willing to do anything to make money?

JonBGood on January 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM,
Excellent to hear that.

CoolChange80 on January 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I knew we would bring you around. :) Welcome to the club.

promachus on January 12, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

May well be. If The One gets re-elected or if a RINO gets in there and fails to reverse these Socialist trends and restore fiscal sanity, we would indeed be merely wasting our time complaining anymore on blogs.

It’d be like turning on an electric fan and facing it towards an oncoming hurricane in a vain attempt to thwart its progress towards us.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 12, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Mitts support of the Obama Stimulus
Bothers me the most. He even criticized GW Bush for not implementing the Stimulus earlier.

But Mitt needs to defend Bain and inflating the number of jobs created does not defend it like someone said Carter could claim huge increases in jobs by the same metric. I mean he counts 13 years of job growth after he left. Explain how what he did for the companies that failed was wise. Or are the charges correct was he just out to take as much as possible with these companies caring not one wit about the effect on the employees.

I hate Vulture Capitalist as well. There is no need to stoop to that and there should be laws preventing that behavior. Some things are just plain wrong.

Steveangell on January 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM

CoolChange80 on January 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Like I said.
Promise.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM

If Palin is the nominee I’ll work my ass off for her.
That’s a promise.
Fair enough
I like her better than Mitt.
Yeah-I said it.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Welcome. :)

Oh and I really am not a Ronulan. I just think we need ALL votes on deck since there will be less door-knocking because of the less enthusiasm. I would say the same thing about Obama voters coming and voting against O to send the DNC a message. I’d welcome them in. I don’t have to agree with them, but just accept their vote. :)

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I like a steaming fresh pile of horse shit better than Mitt myself.

But come on, Palin ain’t running. At least not in 2012. You guys have to stop dreaming the impossible dream. It can’t be healthy.

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on January 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Actually, she is making perfect sense. You are the one, as usual, making an ass out of yourself.

On a different note, check out this from Dan Riel:

“Todd Palin laid this out in his endorsement of Gingrich. The traditions being debated here – or that should be debated – are far more complex than simply throwing buzzwords like capitalism and Leftist around. And people had better take time to try and understand them if there’s going to be a future for anything like conservatism in America. Because if we go the way of corporatist Mitt Romney, we’re not going to get anything but more big government and politically progressive decision-making out of Washington, whether we beat Obama, or not.

For the record, Gingrich is the most conservative candidate who can beat Obama, Todd Palin thinks. “Newt is a proven reformer” who’s “not afraid to fight for the working man.” No, he’s not speaking for his wife. And yes, he’s glad she decided not to run.”

When you have reduced yourself to quoting Todd Palin, a guy who makes a living being married to a dumb kook who got lucky when mav picked her for VP and, thus,dooming his chance for the presidency….when you have to reach that low…and there is nobody lower on the republican totem pole than Todd Palin, a failed father…well, its time to hang it up.

Jailbreak on January 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I knew we would bring you around. :) Welcome to the club.

promachus on January 12, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I’m still in Club Perry right now-don’t forget it.
It’s also almost 0100 and I’ve been drinking.
My willingness to support Sarah the nominee could be the booze talking.
*wink*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM

If anyone but Mitt were the nominee, and maybe Paul, I would get off my butt and be a door-knocker.

I don’t really “like” the others, but I wouldn’t feel any shame in passing along their good deeds and doing my duty in that regard.

It’s merely Mitt and Paul that I can’t be bothered to do it at this stage of the game.

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Mitt Romney, as the nominee, could split the party if the rank-and-file are railroaded into supporting him, and then in the general election, they find out that Mitt’s unelectable due to his Bain background.

Why the rush to declare the race over after one caucus and one election?

Is there a fear that Mitt won’t be able to sustain scrutiny?

JonBGood on January 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Jailbreak on January 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I like a steaming fresh pile of horse shit better than Mitt
angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

So you like yourself better than Mitt? Who cares, clown.

Jailbreak on January 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I said IF she got in and ended up the nominee I would support her.
I’m one of the ladies that Horace refers to as ‘The Perry Girls’-remember?

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

This crap helps no one but Obamao.Perry and Gingrich should be ashamed of themselves.Do they really think this will do them any favors with conservatives???!

Oh the stupidity of some on our side!

NYCguy2020 on January 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

How would you feel if HotAir limited posts to 100 a day?? What would you do with the other 23 hours of your day…if they made that limit?

Jailbreak on January 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I will also support Mitt if he’s the nominee.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

So you like yourself better than Mitt? Who cares, clown.

Jailbreak on January 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Perry’s getting good crowds and cheers at his many stops in SC.

rickperryreport.com posts the days’ videos and articles from the MSM and the local press everyday. I’m remaining hopeful, especially after what we witnessed in IA — Santorum literally went from 2% to 24% in a matter of three days.

I’m also praying my heart out and donating $$ to Perry and fighting to get his message out.

Anything is possible.

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Jailbreak on January 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Do not feed JB.

I beg you. :)

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

She really needs to prove she can win statewide office in Alaska. Then she might have a chance. I mean 3 years as Governor qualifies you now. We tried that with Obama with disastrous results.

It is such a weak field Romney only has 4 years in Office and he crys when anyone brings up his failings at Bain rather than defend it. Santorum has 8 years and Gingrich has plenty but his personality is a problem. Now Ron Paul has experiance but President at 80 scares me perhaps more than his foreign policy which is a huge problem.

Steveangell on January 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I think you’re a cool cat.
*the ultimate compliment coming from me*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Drink more of that booze then.

promachus on January 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I wonder what Perry’s internal polls look like?

JonBGood on January 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I will also support Mitt if he’s the nominee.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Snatches the bottle from you so as to save your mental health.

*runs*

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Oh the stupidity of some on our side!

NYCguy2020 on January 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I agree with this part.

“An attack on Bain is an attack on capitalism itself/an attack on the very core of our nation!!eleventy11!” has shown what a bunch of sheeple we have on the Right.

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Anything is possible.

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM

So you are part of the 1%. Thats where Perry polls at now…thats how he did in new hampshire…1%.

Yeah, good luck with that loser of a candidate. My dog is smarter than him.

Jailbreak on January 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM

i just wanted you to realize that I’m not bailing on Perry.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Steveangell on January 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

She has already won a state wide office and her experience in public office goes back at least to 20 years. I know most of it is local but that’s also relevant. At least as releavnt as Newt’s or Paul’s experience in backbencher congressional seats. I am not discounting that nad neither should Palin’s experience. Don’t forget she was also a state wide o&g commissioner, pretty impressive job.

promachus on January 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM

PPP’s newest poll on the Republican Presidential race in North Carolina essentially finds a three way tie: Newt Gingrich is at 25% with Rick Santorum at 24% and Mitt Romney at 22%. No one else is in double digits- Ron Paul at 9%, Rick Perry and Jon Huntsman at 4%, and Buddy Roemer at 1% round out the field.

JonBGood on January 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I wouldn’t say that. The people saying that are Mittbots. They’re not on the right. Center maybe, but not even close to right.

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Yeah, good luck with that loser of a candidate. My dog is smarter than him.

Jailbreak on January 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM

JonBGood on January 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Yes. The Establishment has been terrified that Mitt’s mask would slip so they were the ones who pushed all the primaries up. They know their boy is WEAK.

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I like a steaming fresh pile of horse shit better than Mitt
angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

i.e. you support Perry.

whatcat on January 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

It’s spiked coffee but thanks for trying.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Hey Asians Girl….I didnt mean to be mean. I actually like Rick Perry myself.

Here is one of my favorite Rick Perry moments. If he had more of these moments, he would be doing better in the polls.

Jailbreak on January 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Steveangell on January 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

You can’t compare executive experience to Senate experience. Palin was in charge of thousands of state employees.

Palin would never run for AK office again. She is forever tarnished in that regard. She could run in AZ if she desired, but I doubt that’s the case.

Palin’s time was now.

A Palin/Huntsman ticket could’ve won. Oh well.

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

i.e. you support Perry.

whatcat on January 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Why do you say that?

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM

JonBGood on January 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM

This race has to go on beyond SC. That’s why Mittens wants to seal the deal this early.

promachus on January 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Very true. But Rush and Hot Air both came rushing to claim so and people think they are “The Right ™” as if we’re a monolith.

I’m very glad Palin came out to say what she did today to show that not everyone on the Right thinks this way.

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Jailbreak on January 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Igor R. on January 12, 2012 at 1:19 AM

No you have not read her stuff. Look, I call BS on you.

If you had read her stuff, you would not make comments like you do.

What she is doing is not preachy. Preachy is actually TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO. That’s preachy.

She is commenting as a commentator just like others on Fox and other networks.

She is giving some good advice to Mitt. We’ll see if he tries to dodge or hide the tax returns, Bain records, etc. Or, will he take the advice from the far superior ‘politician’ Palin. She is wiser than him politically because she understands and can connect with the average voter. And, she has more humility than Mitt. One reason she may have run is she might have thought that after hashing it out, she thought the chances of winning were low. That combined with at least one probably assassination attempt may have led to her decision not to run. Her and her family get death threats regularly. In fact a father/son stalker team recently were found guilty of threatening her and her family.

Mitt needs to listen to those people who understand better than him what he needs to do: Be yourself, but be humble to admit when you are wrong.

Mitt needs his come to Jesus moment, but he probably will not make it.

He needs to stop making excuses for a bad bad record in his past, both at Bain (lotsa money but not good for a POTUS candidate) and his very leftist record as governor of MA.

Palin is trying to say to him to come clean, get the past mistakes behind you by admitting you were wrong and be open to a new path in his life of trust, courage, principles, and in his case warmth.

She knows he is awkward and not trustworthy in the minds of Americans. She’s right.

People say Gov. Palin and some others I could name are stupid. Nothing could be further from the truth. Those people are confusing intelligence with articulateness which are not the same thing. I can listen to Palin and understand her, although she is not as articluate as Mike Huckabee. But her instincts are pretty good. Without the interference of the GOP Establishment and the hateful media, she’d run circles around Mitt in an election in …the USA.

Mitt would defeat her if they ran against each other on equal footing though in France.

Ultimately, Palin is more what is referred to as ‘American’. She understands Mitt, more than he understands her. It shows.

Watch how she does not burn her bridges with Paul’s, Gingrich’s, even other Romney supporters.

Note how she is giving him clues if he wants to not only win but be a great President. But her words alone won’t change him.

Mitt is really, as an American, kinda lost in his identity in some ways or at least appears that way.

I think Romney is just way to ‘worldly’ to be President of the USA.

He should run for President….of France or some European country where he would fit in.

But this is America, home of liberty, renewal, freedom, compassion, self-reliance, forgiveness, and ….starting over.

Mitt needs that ‘come to Jesus’ moment politically.

Until he does, he won’t fire off all the cylinders and O will defeat him.

KirknBurker on January 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Anything is possible.

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Problem I have with Perry is he called all that disagree with free Tuition for Illegal Aliens Heartless (80% of the base). I mean if he really believes that, and he seemed to, I just can not reconcile that with any common sense position on the illegal problem we have in America. How is it heartless to not like $564 taken from my tuition to pay for an illegals tuition as happens to all Texas college students.

Steveangell on January 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

ALT -

WI is having our first snow of the “Winter” – everyone’s going mad.
I don’t know what IL is getting, if anything. 3-6 North of Chicago.

Why in the world are you drinking coffee so early?

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I’ve got a couple of those named Horace and frobenius.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I hope Perry can catch a break in S. Carolina. Unfortunately, voters seem to be relying on the “electability” meme instead of looking at records.

Usually, when Republicans pick an Establishment candidate based on electability, it’s a General Election bust.

JonBGood on January 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Perry’s getting good crowds and cheers at his many stops in SC.
Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I recall you making that exact same observation about Iowa.

whatcat on January 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Google up “The Battle of Athens Tennessee”, there is a wiki page for it. What a great true American story and I’m not willing to pay the big bucks.

JPeterman on January 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM

This is an interesting page, if you haven’t already found it.

hillbillyjim on January 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

ALT -

WI is having our first snow of the “Winter” – everyone’s going mad.
I don’t know what IL is getting, if anything. 3-6 North of Chicago.

Why in the world are you drinking coffee so early?

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I’m going through…the change.(Sorry, TMI) and usually don’t get more than 5 hours or so a night. I just like baileys and coffee. Since I work thurs-sun I won’t have this again for awhile…and it was around 55 today. Should be low 60′s by the weekend.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

A Palin/Huntsman ticket could’ve won. Oh well.

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

But your reasoning on Alaska would be the same for POTUS. If she won statewide office in Arizona it could make her viable again. But until then it just looks bad. Now a CEO job could also possibly rehabilitate her. Not saying it is fair it is decidedly unfair. But for now this is the way it is.

Steveangell on January 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

JonBGood on January 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM

For all the flak we gave Democrats for blindly following Obama, our side is doing the same thing with Romney. A few slick TV ads, a couple of good speeches and everyone forgets about Romneycare and the rest of his atrociously liberal record in MA. All Romney’s missing is the 2012 version of HopeNChange for a slogan.

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 2:10 AM

I wonder what Perry’s internal polls look like?

JonBGood on January 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

They don’t look half bad when looked at through a powerful microscope.

Carthoris on January 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

A Palin/Huntsman ticket could’ve won. Oh well.

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

As much as I think Huntsman ruined his chances by working for Obama, I believe if he had not, that ticket would be a winner, and stronger with Palin at the top.

We would have had strong voter base turnout, the focus would be on Obama’s poor record.

It definitely would have won, although it would have still been a tough fight.

That election would have turned on Palin’s ability as a working class girl to connect with the working class family while Huntsman would have found the ‘bundlers’. It would have meshed out well.

KirknBurker on January 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Agreed. If you don’t believe her words, believe Todd’s. There is no way he would say what he did about Gingrich if she had even the slightest thought of running for President.

McDuck on January 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Okay. Done with my coffee.
‘Night, all.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Hey Promachus,

I hope that Perry and Newt can live to fight another day!

Watching Newt in the debates is a guilty pleasure. ;-)

Best line of the debates so far: Newt telling Romney to “stop his pious baloney.”

JonBGood on January 12, 2012 at 2:12 AM

G’Night ALT!

JonBGood on January 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 2:10 AM

I disagree. In fact, we are NOT blindly following Romney and we won’t in the general election. He’ll lose. We GOP voters know enough about him to know NOT to follow him.

That is why he is winning states, but with such a low voter percentage and low enthusiasm.

KirknBurker on January 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

McDuck on January 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Circumstances change. If Romney looks like winning the gamut, then she could very well jump in to stop Romney

promachus on January 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Steveangell on January 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

He apologized profusely for that, even saying the exact phrase, “I’m sorry” on Greta’s show in November. He went on to say that it was arrogant and insulting and that he should never have thought that about those who disagree with him. And just remember, that the reason he and TX wanted that wasn’t because they love illegals, but that they wanted them to be tax-payers instead of on the dole.

But, that is one con. There are many pros when it comes to Perry. He signed Tort Reform. He is against “over-taxation, over-litigation, and over-regulation”. He wants to eliminate whole departments (no other candidate except Paul dares say such a thing). He defunded TX Planned Parenthood and 11 clinics closed as a result (and he signed parental consent and requires women seeking abortions to see a sonogram first). And my favorite, “I want to make Washington as inconsequential in your life as possible”. He’s also a veteren and many Medal of Honor recipients have come out to endorse and actively campaign for him (click my username for the video of them talking about him).

Here’s a long list from someone in SC on facebook:

When the 25 MILLION residents of Texas asked for JOBS: Gov Perry delivered right to work, less regulations and lower taxes .
When the 25 Million residents of Texas asked for more affordable HC: Gov Perry delivered Tort Reform
When the 25 Million residents of Texas asked for voter Integrity: Gov Perry delivered Voter ID
When the 25 Million residents of Texas asked for lower Taxes: Gov Perry delivered a balanced budget, cut government waste and gave them a surplus .
When the 25 Million residents of Texas asked for lower energy costs : Gov Perry delivered
When the 25 Million residents of Texas asked to defund Planned Parenthood : Gov Perry delivered
When the 25 Million residents of Texas asked for more property rights : Gov Perry delivered a stronger eminent domain law.
When the Million residents of Texas asked for lower costs values in education : Gov Perry delivered
When the Million residents asked for stronger law enforcement : Gov Perry delivered , Judicial reforms , law enforcement reforms, abolish sanctuary cities , more funding for border security, (the federal obligation)
When the 25 Million residents of Texas faced hurricanes, droughts, fires, floods : Gov Perry delivered the assistance they needed .
When the Federal Gov’ment failed to deliver : Gov Perry delivered all that he could legally deliver under States Rights . ~ ~ The state of the state of Texas is working ~ ~

Every candidate has cons. Perry’s pros outweigh his more than any other candidate, imo.

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Okay. Done with my coffee.
‘Night, all.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I don’t know how you manage to sleep after drinking coffee, but goodnight.

McDuck on January 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Oh, and Perry never fell for the man-made global warming hoax and NEVER thought Cap and Trade was a good idea. He is also extremely pro-Israel, a huge thing in my eyes.

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

JonBGood on January 12, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Oh, Newt is good when he’s good. It’s when he wanders that you have to wonder.

promachus on January 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

If only he could stay coherent for longer than a couple of minutes in a debate.

Carthoris on January 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM

From Dan Reihl’s “Conservatives Are Being Played, Perry And Gingrich Are Right”
Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 1:26 AM

i actually went over and read this thing. Totally incoherent.

The profound problem is that most people have not a clue about business issues. They do not know various business trends over the last couple of decades. Most people read a stupid Reuters article and think that they are educated. Or BI (btw, look into the founder of that web-zine)…BI compares Romney in MA with barry in US…and barry is better…yea barry!. (i’m sorry i sorta thought Rhiel was conservative, but what do i know)

Anyway…this is complicated. Trust busting came about because of large corporations were engaging in monopolistic, anti-competitive practices. Okay?

Now, generally corporate raiders like Carl Icahn, and many others (not Bain) saw huge conglomerates that were put together in the 70s and said, break them up…they are inefficient and hide too much non-productive assets.

Guess who hates corporate raiders???? The Executives. Guess who hated trust busting…Executives.

So corporate raiders performed the same function that TR liked…except via the PRIVATE sector.

Now bain did not (so far as i know) make hostile takeovers (which corporate raiders did).

So, yeah, is Newt like TR…yeah..he’s a progressive.

And he’s a narcissist…..here’s roughly what he said to Greta. I created a lot of jobs as speaker….i passed a cap gains tax cut that helped mitt….mitt should thank me

that is straight obama.talk…straight up

Rush is right….POLS think they control the world…and that we peasants should be happy with their wisdom.

Newt is just a pol, that is all.

i am not impressed

r keller on January 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM

ALT -

WI is having our first snow of the “Winter” – everyone’s going mad.
I don’t know what IL is getting, if anything. 3-6 North of Chicago.

Why in the world are you drinking coffee so early?

Midwestprincesse on January 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I’m in Chicagoland and we’re expecting 8″; our first real snow of the year! Finally!

Aslans Girl on January 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

KirknBurker on January 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I hear you. I meant the Romney voters are doing that, not Republicans as a whole. One day the RNC will wake up and realize you cannot run a liberal Democrat with an “R” next to his name and win. 2016 will be the same thing. I think the RNC is idiotic enough to actually push Jeb Bush in 2016.

angryed on January 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Barack Obama will have the very brightest liberals writing what he reads in a teleprompter, liberal think tanks have armed him with the most maddening and confounding of rhetoric, twisting and lying like never before and we’re still trying to fight our way out of a wet paper bag.

Here we are up against the most failed President in our history, the best chance perhaps we’ve ever been given to the put the most Conservative, the most moral the most able among us in the Whitehouse and control both houses and this slinging the mud place is where we’re at.

We can’t afford the status quo, we can’t afford to continue bickering and we can’t afford at all the race to the bottom, who’s the most liberal blame game.

Speakup on January 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM