Jim DeMint: It’s time to start listening to Ron Paul

posted at 7:53 pm on January 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

November 2010: “You can’t be a fiscal conservative and not be a social conservative.” Today: “What I would like to see is a Republican Party that embraces a lot of these libertarian ideas.” Those two statements aren’t directly contradictory — like DeMint, plenty of Republicans want more libertarianism on fiscal, but not social or foreign, policy — but it’s amazing to hear a guy known for being a strong conservative across the board talking up a candidate who’s often dismissed as catering to doves and libertines. Is this genuine respect or simple strategic caution? Dan Foster of NRO makes the case for the former:

Look, I don’t think Paul has a serious chance to win the nomination, but to my surprise he has run a quite serious campaign. Watching his speech last night confirmed this. Paul knows he is a million-to-one shot to win, but he also knows that if it comes down to just him and Romney, with the vote floor he’s established early, that he could run as high or higher in a lot of states, and come to the convention with a non-trivial number of delegates and an agenda. His holding fire on, and even defending, Romney from Perry/Gingrich attacks confirms the strategic sophistication of his campaign. Paul’s defense of free enterprise is certainly a principled one. But it also supports his interest in seeing the field winnowed down. It might also reflect a desire not to do damage to the presumptive party nominee — whom Paul has suggested he prefers to Obama — if he can build a strong position without doing so. Either way, Paul has shown a level of rationality and maturity that contradicts the caricatures.

Yeah, I agree that Paul has won respect even among his critics in the GOP establishment for running an effective campaign. How could he not have? Most of the campaigns this year are so astoundingly incompetent that they can’t even manage to get on the ballot in every state. Like Romney, he’s earned points simply for metaphorically showing up to his job interview in a suit. But there is, of course, a strategic consideration here: DeMint’s obviously and correctly worried about the GOP losing votes from Paul’s fans in November if they feel alienated. Some of those votes are lost regardless because, for some, Paul is The Only Man Who Can Save America. But some simply prefer him on the merits to the rest of the field and others are voting for him as a protest vote. A chunk of those can be won back with an “Anybody But Obama” argument, but the more their candidate is dismissed as a crank now, the harder it’ll be. (A WaPo poll last month found Obama and Romney tied at 47 percent head to head, but if Paul is added to the equation as a third-party candidate, Obama wins by 10 points.) DeMint’s taking the perfectly mainstream line that libertarians have lots of good ideas about spending and deserve to be heard in hopes that that’ll be enough.

Will it, though? I’ve never had the sense that cutting spending was the animating principle behind the Paul phenomenon even though it’s at the core of his platform. He might consider it the animating principle, but whenever I read or watch interviews with his most devoted supporters, foreign policy seems to come up much more often. (For all the lip service paid to drug legalization as being key to his youth appeal, I don’t see that come up especially often either.) I don’t know how you square that circle, even in a more war-weary party. It’s one thing to support a more modest international presence, it’s another to question the Bin Laden raid that pretty much everyone in America not named “Ron Paul” thinks was fantastic. If I’m right that foreign policy is key for most Paul fans, there’s really not much that can be done to keep them happy in the party. I keep thinking Rand Paul is going to build the bridge here simply because he’s managed to keep a foot in the mainstream and a foot in the Paul universe in a way that his dad never has, but we’ll see. If anyone in the family ends up getting a big role at the convention to win over Paul voters, I’d bet it’s Rand rather than Ron.

Exit question: Is Paul really doing dramatically better than expected at the polls this year, as most of this morning’s pundit CW claims? He’s improved on his 2008 numbers dramatically, but he’s running against a weaker field with a much better organization in a political climate (ever longer wars and mind-boggling debt) that’s vastly more favorable to him. Finishing a distant second in New Hampshire is great, but it was a distant second to a guy whom roughly 70 percent of the party dislikes for being a soulless RINO. If we do end up with a two-man Romney/Paul race, Mitt will win it likely without needing to run a single negative ad against him. If you can’t make the flip-flopping architect of RomneyCare sweat, how much heat do you have? Click the second image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Let me guess, neocons:

Demint is a Jew-hater, right?

Morons.

Aizen on January 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I want this man, Jim DeMint, as my prez some day.

petefrt on January 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM

My respect for Jim DeMint just went up.

love2rumba on January 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM

If you want libertarianism in the fiscal sense, do not use Ron Paul as an example. You further bolster his nutjob ways. *facepalm*

Flapjackmaka on January 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Demint has NO CRED with the DC crowd.

Paul is just going to piss on the repubs and give Obama the 2nd term.

Done deal.

PappyD61 on January 11, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Romney/Rand ’12?

rndmusrnm on January 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Dan Foster of NRO makes the case for the former

Pffftt. NRO is paper bought by Romney and Paul is working in tandem with Romney, hence NRO will praise Paul. QED.

promachus on January 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

DeMint is only saying what Palin has been saying for weeks.

Respect Ron Paul supporters.

Even Kudlow had a segment on his program tonight about this.

Midwestprincesse on January 11, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Flapjackmaka on January 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM

This.

His porkbarreling puts nearly all democrats to shame.

Rebar on January 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM

, for some, Paul is The Only Man Who Can Save America.

He may not be the man who can save America, but I think he may be the man to force a brokered convention.

Rand Paul 2012.

JPeterman on January 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

DeMint is only saying what Palin has been saying for weeks.

Respect Ron Paul supporters.

Palin/Paul 2012?

Allahpundit on January 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I want this man, Jim DeMint, as my prez some day.

petefrt on January 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Subject to further scrutiny on his foreign policy, I may want Rand Paul as my prez too.

petefrt on January 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

My respect for Jim DeMint just went down.

Mr. Prodigy on January 11, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Freedom is popular, and Sen. DeMint is wise enough to see it.

Ron Paul is the conservative alternative to Romney, and is our last, best chance to return to sustainable, Constitutional government in this country. He’s the only non-Romney who can beat Obama head-to-head, he’s the only candidate with the fundraising power to take on Romney, he’s the only non-Romney candidate to make it onto the ballot in every state. Like Reagan, he can grow and expand the party, and inspire young people to believe in America again. I’m glad DeMint recognizes the importance of capturing that energy for the GOP.

Inkblots on January 11, 2012 at 8:02 PM

No photo ID needed, something that will be important especially to SC voters who are still upset with Holder, story and video from DC, dead people can vote, “Live Free or Die”

beacon on January 11, 2012 at 8:02 PM

It’s time to start listening to Ron Paul

As long as you also know when to STOP listening to Ron Paul that’s fine.

Some of his ideas and ideals are worth listening to… some are lunacy.

gekkobear on January 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Awww…poor little Bush Republicans don’t get no love eh? That compassionate conservatism has bankrupted the country and no one wants to build anymore nations.

We want that Ron Paul sort of love…kill the Dept of Energy, Education and the federal reserve. Let me hear Romney say even one time that he would only ENTERTAIN not even follow through but merely entertain the notion of getting rid of some government and I would be thrilled but that ain’t gonna happen. Republicans are just as much big government as the dems…just DIFFERENT big government.

They SIMPLY DO NOT GET THE TEA PARTY. We want LESS GOVERNMENT….!!!

PierreLegrand on January 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Respect Ron Paul supporters ?

Why the hell would we do that ? Doesn’t that inherently require that we respect Ron Paul ?

Its one thing to respect “…the need for limited constitutional government and the importance of individual liberty.” Too bad the REST of Ron Paul’s schtick is abhorrent.

The fact is, blindly following Ron Paul for the limited things he is “right” about while willingly ignoring the things about him that are abhorrent is not my definition of “integrity”. In fact, its just the opposite.

I may not like everything about Newt, Perry, or Romney, but I don’t have to pretend any of them aren’t the lunatic Ron Paul is to support them.

It doesn’t matter how many things Ron Paul is “right” about. There are too many things he has so completely wrong that he IS NOT a serious candidate.

Frankly, if the GOP is doing damage to their brand in this primary, it is primarily by pretending Ron Paul isn’t a whack job, AND that he actually is a Republican.

deadrody on January 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

This kind of statement from a mainstream conservative icon like DeMint is appalling. Why don’t all Republicans disavow this racist, anti-Semitic, 9/11 truther pandering, conspiracy nut coddling, white supremacist associating, isolationist, Israel-hating, hypocritical, pork-barreling, maybe-I’ll-run-independent dirtbag? He deserves no respect and anyone can see that with just a little independent research. For those of you who support him and are ignorant of all that I said, wake up! He deserves to be kicked to the curb!

Lightspeed on January 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Pierre ? Ron Paul is not the “Tea Party”. I consider myself part of it. And if you’d like to see the media’s portrayal of the Tea Party coming true, by all means, keep trying to draw parallels between the Tea Party and Ron Paul.

deadrody on January 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Allahpundit on January 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Hey, aren’t all your fellow Mittbots parroting Palin’s points? Is that your strategy from now on? lol.

promachus on January 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I defy anyone to watch Paul’s speech from last night and not recognize that the man is a patriot, willing to talk honestly with Americans about the solutions to the challenges we face: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6irSCvnZY

Inkblots on January 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I did listen to Paul, then he started talking about Iran getting nukes being no big deal and I stopped listening.

Bishop on January 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Of course, I meant disavowing Ron Paul, not DeMint. DeMint should be called out on his seeming support and legitimizing of Paul.

Lightspeed on January 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

DeMint would be someone I’d gladly vote for if he had decided to throw his hat in the ring. He is anti-establishment.

Pitchforker on January 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Palin/Paul 2012?

Allahpundit on January 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

The only way I would vote for Dr. Paul.

Bmore on January 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

DeMint is now a paulnutz? Second look at lyndon larouche?

MTLassen on January 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

@Aizen: Ron Paul doesn’t hate Jews. He just takes money and support from those who do. It’s the price of doing business, like the $31b in earmarks he voted “against.” Decisions, decisions.

Seth Halpern on January 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Respect Ron Paul supporters ?

hehe…Yea don’t respect us. We are all Crazy crazy crazy…all those doors I knocked on for Reagan, phone calls for Bush were the acts of a crazy crazy man.

Well this crazy man understands one very important thing that you have apparently no clue about. This country has managed to bankrupt itself with idiocy like compassionate conservatism and the great society and it is time the adults stepped in an took your candy away.

PierreLegrand on January 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

The Ron Paul fans I know (college-age boys) are all about his domestic policies. They feel that nobody else really cares about cutting the size of government. They hate SOPA and the latest bill that would allow Obama to hold Americans indefinitely. They hated that Obama didn’t get Congressional authority to sustain his bombing campaign against Libya. They don’t care about things like gay marriage. They feel he sticks to his guns even when he says something that is unpopular.

I think he gets a lot of the South Park fans.

MayBee on January 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Freedom is popular, and Sen. DeMint is wise enough to see it.

You people are out of your minds. Ron Paul is not the answer to anything but a trivia question. The idea that Ron Paul could get the nomination, let alone win the election OR do virtually ANY of what he claims he wants to do is LAUGHABLE.

The one conclusion I can draw from any state’s primary is that whatever percentage casts their vote for Ron Paul, that state’s population has at least that percentage of complete, utter morons.

deadrody on January 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I defy anyone to watch Paul’s speech from last night and not recognize that the man is a patriot demagogue, willing to talk honestly with Americans about the solutions to the challenges we face: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6irSCvnZY

Inkblots on January 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Fixed that for you.

Lightspeed on January 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Midwestprincesse on January 11, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Palin’s wrong.
I got into it with one of them yesterday. He was a full-bore Neo-Nazi.
The majority of Ronulans aren’t as out-there as this one but they still share many of the views that the thing I was sparing with was espouse. I don’t like or respect Ronulans. I find many of their views to be vile and irrational…and I will continue to treat them with the contempt and mockery that they so richly deserve.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I absolutely agree that listening to Ron Paul is wise. Nobody else can or should adopt all of his positions, but he is tapping into something that conservatives should want to harvest.

MayBee on January 11, 2012 at 8:10 PM

espousing.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Palin/Paul 2012?

Allahpundit on January 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

The only way I would vote for Dr. Paul.

Bmore on January 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Nein.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

What about Rand Paul as VP? Some role in a potential administration perhaps?

msmveritas on January 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Palin/Paul 2012?

Allahpundit on January 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Haha, you’re not the first to bring about this ticket idea. Palin supporters don’t, for the most part, agree with Paul on foreign policy, but we at least respect his vision or at least prospect of a vision in regards to government restructuring.

I think Palin is trying to put forth a united front and people that dismiss Paul will lose.

And whether you like him or not, he knows how to corral supporters to his cause. Palin and him are good in that respect. :)

Midwestprincesse on January 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

They SIMPLY DO NOT GET THE TEA PARTY. We want LESS GOVERNMENT….!!!

PierreLegrand on January 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Yep, we need Ron to push us to the right, back to our core conservative values of individual liberty, free markets and limited government. I hope he succeeds, for the good of the GOP and for the good of the country.

petefrt on January 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

deadrody on January 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Well, given that Paul held the first modern Tea Party event, and that Rick Santelli himself has called Ron Paul “the most conservative candidate”, I think you are mistaken.

Inkblots on January 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Palin/Paul 2012?

Allahpundit on January 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Only if it’s Rand.

Good Solid B-Plus on January 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM

MayBee on January 11, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Tapping into what, white power? Does he want to harvest pot? What is it?

Lightspeed on January 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Nah, just humor the poor deluded souls until after the election.

whatcat on January 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Midwestprincesse on January 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

You probably don’t want to use Palin’s name in the same sentence as Herr Dr. Dreck.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM

What about Rand Paul as VP? Some role in a potential administration perhaps?

msmveritas on January 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I think that’s the name of the game right now.

JPeterman on January 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM

promachus on January 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM

and now we have Romney parroting Paln on crony Capitalism.

idesign on January 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Foreign policy has little to do with spending? Hmm.

fatlibertarianinokc on January 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

DeMint is only saying what Palin has been saying for weeks.

Respect Ron Paul supporters.

Midwestprincesse on January 11, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Yeah, even though Paul supporters have nothing but contempt for Republican’s and the GOP.

F@$# them and their Messiah.

RobertInLexington on January 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

DeMint is only saying what Palin has been saying for weeks.

Respect Ron Paul supporters.

Palin/Paul 2012?

Allahpundit on January 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Nothing wrong there!
I like him on most fiscal and some social issues.
Need a tin foil beanie though on most foreign affair issues.
That’s what scares me on him. He’s my last choice for ABOB.

KOOLAID2 on January 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Demint is a fiscal conservative first and foremost. Ron Paul has some goofy ideas, but if nothing else he does push the GOP to the right on fiscal matters..which is a good thing.

therightwinger on January 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Palin’s wrong.
I got into it with one of them yesterday. He was a full-bore Neo-Nazi.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Look, I get this argument. I actually respect it.
However, do you not see that the GOP is running with Romney? He is going to need every stinking vote that he can get. If we had a conservative message bearer (not Paul), then we wouldn’t need as much of Paul’s supporters. I mean, we’d need/want them of course, but this is an election where every vote matters. You dismiss a lot of decent people if you dismiss Paul.

I’m not asking for him to get marketing material created for him, but to at least acknowledge that he knows and can bring out a vote.

Ja. :)

Midwestprincesse on January 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Allahpundit

I would be the first to jump for joy to hear news that Bin Laden was killed if any evidence whatsoever was released to the public to confirm the government reports. The assassination was carried out like a mafia hit and the body was dumped into the ocean so that no one could confirm the story. The media completely forgot about this incident a couple weeks after the fact and we never heard about it again. I’m sorry but I don’t buy the nonsense that they had to ‘dispose the body according to Islamic traditions and they didn’t want a burial shrine on land’. Call me a conspiracy theorist but I need evidence and facts to come to a logical conclusion. The government’s handling of this incident along with a complacent press was a disturbing sequence of events.

Jerry Bear on January 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Palin

idesign on January 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Palin/Paul 2012?

Allahpundit on January 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Game changer. Mind boggling prospect.

petefrt on January 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Foreign policy has little to do with spending? Hmm.

fatlibertarianinokc on January 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Of course. But it’s not the spending concerns that are dictating the foreign policy here, or so I’ve gathered.

Allahpundit on January 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I think that’s the name of the game right now.

JPeterman on January 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Recently Rand ‘inquired’ as to weather the head of the Mossad was actually a member of Bibi’s cabinet. *wink wink. nudge nudge*
Apples don’t fall far from the tree.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Call me a conspiracy theorist

Okay.

Allahpundit on January 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Also, Demint was one of the first GOP Senators to go after the Fed. Which is a big Ron Paul thing.

therightwinger on January 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

As a supporter of Paul it is mostly his domestic policy I like. Foreign policy will be changed, eventually, to RP’s view as we go down the sinkhole and can’t afford such a large and expensive military force.

Domestic Policy matters more right now.

The “Tea-Party” republicans haven’t done squat (ok, they have done squat, just not nearly enough).

With a Not-Ron Paul in the WH, that won’t change.

Aquateen Hungerforce on January 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Game changer. Mind boggling prospect.

petefrt on January 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM

No ticket with Ron Paul will EVER get my vote!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Cain, Palin, Huntsman, or a non-crazy Trump.

There’s got to be more out there than Paul and Mitt.

Although, Paul is better than Mitt (my opinion.)

Aizen on January 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM

therightwinger on January 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Demint and Palin and Santelli, apparently are legitimizing a nutjob who associates with white supremacists, neo-Nazis, anti-Semites, 9/11 truthers, and conspiracy looneys of the first order. Is that a good thing to you?

Lightspeed on January 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM

If nothing else he does push the GOP to the right on fiscal matters..which is a good thing.

therightwinger on January 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I’ll bet he has a big ol’ time at the convention. You gotta hand it to him… he’s the least likely person to be in the role he’s in right now. Good for him. It serves to show all of us that persistence on right principles (fiscal conservatism) can pay off.

beatcanvas on January 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Hey, aren’t all your fellow Mittbots parroting Palin’s points?

If there’s one thing that should be clear from reading this site, it’s my abiding affection for the guy I just called a soulless RINO.

Allahpundit on January 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Palin said the same thing.

Although I am not a Paulbot, the attacks on him are broad and seem to include his plan to cut a trillion off spending (the deficit).

The GOP House is spending as wildly as the Dems.

Something radical needs to happen.

Valiant on January 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM

W

hat about Rand Paul as VP? Some role in a potential administration perhaps?

msmveritas on January 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I think that’s the name of the game right now.

JPeterman on January 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Yep, Sec of Treas at the least. Let him start by ‘overseeing’ the Fed Reserve.

petefrt on January 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I’d take Palin on the ticket in any way, shape or form. As disturbing as that would be. But I doubt it would happen.

I like Rand, a lot.

But I refuse to dismiss him, the OWS movement’s overall message and the fact that Obama will still be hard to beat. None of the current candidates has an actual platform but Ron Paul. You can’t really beat a proposal of $1 billion dollars of cuts. I don’t have to agree with it but at least it’s presenting something.

And no, I don’t agree with them all of course.

Midwestprincesse on January 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Jim Demint who? I’ll start respecting Ron Paul supporters when they start respecting other people.

Oracleforhire on January 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Jerry Bear on January 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM

You’re not alone! Rosie O’Donnel and Michael Moore share your concerns about the violation of bin laden’s human rights!

Mr. Prodigy on January 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Lightspeed on January 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM

You really don’t know what you’re talking about.

Aquateen Hungerforce on January 11, 2012 at 8:21 PM

idesign on January 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM

And Brooks suddenly talking about reform and restoration. lol.

promachus on January 11, 2012 at 8:21 PM

deadrody on January 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

It’s fun how Ron’s opponents always proceed directly to baseless, schoolyard insults. The fact that they can’t engage him on the issues is a pretty strong sign of who is winning the intellectual argument.

Ron Paul says that the first duty of government is the protection of our God-given rights; his opponents say he’s nutty. Ron Paul says that we can’t win a generational struggle against jihadism by treating it like a conventional war against a state, and that we need to employ a long-term sustainable tactic by using letters of reprisal; his opponents say he’s a moron. Ron Paul says that the only force on earth capable of defeating America and bringing us down is our bondholders, and that we must balance the budget within the next 4 years to avoid fiscal disaster; his opponents say he’s a crazy uncle.

Well, I’ll tell you, a lot of people in this nation today seem to have an incredibly tenuous grip on reality, but Ron Paul ain’t one of them.

Inkblots on January 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM

petefrt on January 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Yeah, but would you?, Could you? I answered straight away. Up the thread a bit.

Bmore on January 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Aquateen Hungerforce on January 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

And what exactly has Ron Paul and his disciples accomplished for the 30 years he has been in DC?

Please, type slowly, don’t want you to get carpal tunnel syndrome listing their accomplishments.

RobertInLexington on January 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM

*Trillion. Oops.

Like mentioned above.

I have always said that a Palin/Huntsman ticket would be strong to beat. I got beat down over at C4P for that though. :)

Midwestprincesse on January 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Allahpundit on January 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM

You of all people know by now how clueless a portion of the readers/commenters are here.

There’s a cadre of folk-heads (heh) who don’t care about reality or objectivity.

blatantblue on January 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Ron Paul is attracting a lot of voters who are not white supremacists, neo-Nazis, etc. He is attracting voters that other candidates should want to attract, and should be able to attract. So let’s figure out what he’s doing right (not just ignore him because he does a lot wrong).

MayBee on January 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM

You really don’t know what you’re talking about.
Aquateen Hungerforce on January 11, 2012 at 8:21 PM

The information is out there for all to see. Ron Paul, among many other things, was scheduled in 2006 to appear on The Political Cesspool, a white supremacist radio talk show. He cancelled at the last minute. He takes money from know white supremacists, and when called out on it, refuses to give the money back or denounce them. Of course, the racist newsletters he says he didn’t write or know about but profited from for years. It goes on and on. Wake up!

Lightspeed on January 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Ron Paul made millions of dollars by dabbling in anti-semitism and racism, his core base is composed of vicous anti-Semites and anti-war liberals disappointed in Obama, the fact that he is gaining any traction at all is a testament to our times more than anything, we have a national debt crisis and the republican field for the presidency is horrible on that record, you couldn’t make up a more inept, impotent group of lackluster candidates if you tried, a liberal flip flopperwith no principles who’s phonier than a rubber sex doll(Romney), a scandal marred thrice divorced big govt lobbyist(ginigrich), a big govt statist who’s stuck in the culture wars of the 90s(santorum), a fumbling D student who can’t recall basic facts in a debate(perry), and a smug Mormon who likes to insult the people who’s vote he is vying for(huntsman). Catering to Paul is a horrible idea as it will only embolden his stormfront base and MCgovernite adherents. If there was a solid conservative in the race who could inspire the base like Allen West he would walk away with the nomination

golembythehudson on January 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Ron Paul, who is NOT a Republican is using Capitalist talking points only when they coincide with Libertarian views. Limited government and Free Markets are some of them but that’s about where it ends. Ron Paul is every bit as Liberal on Social Issues as the Leftists. This is primarily due to Libertarians holding amoral views in general. Meaning they hold very little value in ethics and morality. They use slogans from the left and the right and state policies without rational or philosophical explanation. Ron Paul is a Libertarian who can’t run under his own beliefs which makes him a Fraud just like Romney and Obama.

Egfrow on January 11, 2012 at 8:26 PM

MayBee on January 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM

That’s just dumb. David Duke attracted a lot of supporters too, should we study him?

Lightspeed on January 11, 2012 at 8:26 PM

RobertInLexington on January 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM

This is a HUGE assumption, but I think of your use of the word disciples in the context of Ron Paul is very ironic. :)

I would think that Palin and Paul are very open to the idea of religious tolerance. And don’t be mad at Paul supporters if they prefer their candidate because to them, he is their political compass.

You’re eventually going to vote for Mitt so you don’t exactly have a leg to stand on in this argument for conservative records.

And no, I’m not a Ronulan despite my desire to try to keep everyone under a fold.

Midwestprincesse on January 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Ron Paul would be a political prodigy if his foreign policy matched his fiscal ideals. I will give him his economic acumen, but Israel would be decimated if Ron Paul were president. Not to mention, North Korea would attack South Korea; China would attack Taiwan, and Washington State would invade Canada.

carbon_footprint on January 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

No ticket with Ron Paul will EVER get my vote!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I am with you..:)

Dire Straits on January 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Bishop on January 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

He’s never said that. Seriously, if you don’t believe me, try googling for it. His opponents like to claim he said it, but you’ll find no direct quotes, because he never freaking said that.

What he did say is that we need to understand the motives that drive our enemies. If you don’t understand the thinking of your enemies, you can’t craft a foreign policy to effectively change their actions. Seriously, you don’t design an economic policy without doing an impact analysis and trying to anticipate consumer reaction and the potential for unintended consequences – foreign policy should be the same. It’s not enough just to be America – we need to be prudent, as well.

Inkblots on January 11, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Demint is trying to head off a 3rd party run by Ron Paul by saying “don’t go away mad, just go away”.

V7_Sport on January 11, 2012 at 8:29 PM

golembythehudson on January 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I like the way you think!

Lightspeed on January 11, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Lightspeed on January 11, 2012 at 8:26 PM- what? No, of course we don’t need to look at everyone with supporters. What does Ron Paul have to do with David Duke?

MayBee on January 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Dire Straits on January 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Even if that ticket could beat the 0 ? ;)

Bmore on January 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM

David Duke attracted a lot of supporters too, should we study him?

Lightspeed on January 11, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Yes. And keep what’s right and throw out what’s wrong, as MayBee said.

Look, Barack Obama is awful for the country, but he’s definitely worth studying to harvest what would help us win since he’s quite a campaigner.

C’mon…

beatcanvas on January 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Allahpundit on January 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM

AP, since you’re also a soulless RINO (or, at the very least, a candy-ass Chamberlain-esque RINO who doesn’t believe in the existence of a human soul), I figured that was a compliment. :)

Good Solid B-Plus on January 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM

If Ron Paul had a foreign policy POV that wasn’t so naive, I’d be behind him totally.

blatantblue on January 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM

The ONLY way I would ever support Ron Paul is if he becomes the nominee…

Etc. etc. etc.

WryTrvllr on January 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Bishop on January 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Brevity is the soul of wit, and the hammer of truth, both of which you have delivered here. He lost me, too, and early on with his hands-off Iran crap. And, when he said, “If I were an Iranian, I’d want a nuke, too,” that iced it for me, big time. Such a concept is probably shared by Obama, but even he has not let it drip from his tongue.

TXUS on January 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I find it funny how Republicans on this site feel that foreign policy is more important than fiscal policy, which isn’t surprising after 8 years of George W. Bush.

When Perry and Gingrich attack capitalism, they’re still “Republicans” according to the geniuses around here. When Ron Paul defends capitalism and suggests bringing the troops home, he’s a crazy Libertarian wing-nut-job.

Aizen on January 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Yes. And keep what’s right and throw out what’s wrong, as MayBee said.

C’mon…

beatcanvas on January 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Rev-up a bunch of naive young idealists to do your footwork + Styrofoam columns = Winning

Good Solid B-Plus on January 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Inkblots on January 11, 2012 at 8:29 PM

He did say that he would not have entered WWII to stop the Holocaust. He also would clearly not intervene to stop Iran from getting nukes based on everthing he has ever said about it. He would stand by and watch Israel burn.

Lightspeed on January 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Egfrow on January 11, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Ron Paul is a Baptist who reintroduced the sanctity of life act in 2005.

Pitchforker on January 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Rebar on January 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Given your repeated claims up to this point that Ron Paul would do worse than he did four years ago, I would think you would be satisfied to say: “I stand corrected”, and then proceed to STFU and listen to people who actually know what the hell they are talking about.

I would think that, but you are such a clown that you probably aren’t even capable of that.

JohnGalt23 on January 11, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Yes. And keep what’s right and throw out what’s wrong, as MayBee said.

C’mon…

beatcanvas on January 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Sure. And Hitler did wonders for Germany’s economy.

Lightspeed on January 11, 2012 at 8:34 PM