Hey millennials, you don’t actually like to be miserable, do you?

posted at 4:15 pm on January 11, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Young America’s Foundation has released a useful tool to quantify the hardships faced by today’s youth — by Obama Zombies, Occupiers and caught-in-between conservatives alike. Called the Youth Misery Index (thanks, Jimmy Carter, for providing the inspiration for such an uplifting name!), it combines the youth unemployment rate, average graduating student loan debt in thousands and national debt per capita in thousands to arrive at a single number that captures in a split-second the financial situation of most millennials. Today, the YMI stands at a stark record-high 90.6. According to the YAF, the Index has grown 25 percent in four years — 17 percent since the Obama administration took office.

YAF explains that, today, young people are hit from all sides:

Young people today face a three-pronged attack on their financial security — education debt from their past, unemployment in the present, and a future plagued by the burden of massive government debt.

The government is largely responsible for all three problems. We’ve found a statistically significant relationship between government expenditures and the Youth Misery Index; this is no coincidence. Each indicator can be linked to government actions.

You bet the government has played a part. Don’t let Barack Obama’s recent talk of abundant summer jobs or restructured student loans fool you, either. The policies contained in his American Jobs Act were just more of the same policies that have landed us in this mess in the first place — deficit spending that aims to acquire reelection support not to stimulate the economy.

In general, the youth unemployment situation is particularly bleak. While the official youth unemployment rate has improved in the past two years, the youth labor force participation rate dropped to an historic low in the summer of 2010. In other words, young people have just given up on the idea that they will find jobs.

The government’s takeover of the student loan industry doesn’t bode well for the future, either. The abundance of credit will just lead to ever-higher tuition prices, creating a bubble that will eventually burst.

Fortunately, millennials need not be dependent on government. Maybe it’s cheesy to recommend tried-and-true motivational tactics as a prescription to alleviate misery, but, at a time when politicians seem to have lost the ability to inspire and turn repeatedly to tried-and-failed stimulative policies, young adults have to take their future into their own hands. I recommend Christine Hassler as a good place to start for job-search tips. In the meantime, students who haven’t yet taken out massive loans for an undergraduate or graduate degree might want to consider choosing the cheapest rather than the most prestigious college. Finally, with their votes, millennials need to stop worrying so much about social responsibility — which is ingrained into them as a top priority by school administrators, but is, as Dick Armey says, just as euphemism for personal irresponsibility — and vote instead for fiscal responsibility.

Comments

Millenial job woes are not simply a product of budget deficits.

ernesto on January 11, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Hey millennials, you don’t actually like to be miserable, do you?

From their voting habits (Obama, now Paul) that may not be too far from the truth.

preallocated on January 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM

What? Huh? PBHO is so awesome! What?

Bishop on January 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Children are not going to listen to reason. When a 5 year old wants something the 5 year old does not consider why he can’t have it, he just wants.

Some of these children will eventually grow up, but unfortunately many won’t because their parents failed to teach them about personal responsibility and delayed gratification. Only a fortunate few are smart enough to become self aware on these points.

NotCoach on January 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Thanks, older generations, for telling the youngsters they needed to go to college, where they accumulated debt they expected to be able to pay off, since college would “get them a good job”.

Thanks, older generations, for spending the last 80 years voting for regulatory tyrant statists who make entrepreneurship impossible without assloads of capital.

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Liberals would never win anything if they couldn’t take advantage of the clueless and naive.

therightwinger on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I’m 30 – does that mean I just missed out on the misery? I have no idea what generation I am….

CityFish on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Millenial job woes are not simply a product of budget deficits.

ernesto on January 11, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Expecting the government to provide for you is always misery waiting to happen. And the more we come to rely on the government for the things we should be responsible for ourselves, the more miserable we will become.

NotCoach on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

preallocated on January 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Paul’s policies don’t make the millenials miserable. Enslaved by a foreign nation, radioactive, or dead in the middle-to-long run – possibly, but not miserable. What’s miserable about straightening the financial system, decreasing the debt, and ending the idiocy of victimless crimes?

Archivarix on January 11, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

You’re welcome. Now get off my damn lawn!

NotCoach on January 11, 2012 at 4:26 PM

The social responsibility aspect is going to be a hard barrier to break. My wife’s cousins are excellent examples. They are great kids and very, very intelligent, but are wasting college educations on social work, community organizing (I kid you not), and things of that nature. When I see them I ask them what good any of this stuff has actually done over the past 50 years? I never really get a good answer. They are so indoctrinated by the schools and unfortunately their parents that they have no real reasoning for doing what they are doing. In their mind everything should be about the kids, or community, it’s never about actually doing any real tangible or productive work. Don’t worry, I will keep working on them!

gator70 on January 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Another prong – the dwindling financial security of their parents. Results in less inherited savings, more financial support directly from the children, and more support from the government (which maginfies the debt).

I think this is at least as important as the other three “prongs”. There may be more….

connertown on January 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM

CityFish on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

No, it means we are stuck w/ the bill. Even though we took care of our own sh*t.

cajun carrot on January 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM

The “I didn’t get a white iPhone for Christmas and I hate my parents” generation.

Crusty on January 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

You should say thanks to the DEMs instead for:

Driving down the quality of a high school education to the point where employers require a college education just to make sure employees are literate.

Encouraging useless degrees like womens studies and art history (how many jobs versus how many degrees each year – the new math just doesn’t work).

Taking over the student loan process so there is no competition and no check on increased tuition.

Driving up the cost of a degree at a much steeper rate than inflation.

Lowering admission standards during Vietnam so that anybody could get into college (and they still do).

Laura in Maryland on January 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM

What is obviously missing is the marketable nature of the skill from their education. A millenial who has a large student debt but is going to be earning a professional salary will pay it off over time and should be less miserable than someone with the same debt from the same university but entering the market with a low wage skill or unemployed.

This index appears to be another way to say the government needs to spend more money to alleviate the misery when the calculation of the index misses a major part.

WhyNot on January 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM

gator70, the answer is: it will get you elected President!

WhyNot on January 11, 2012 at 4:37 PM

They went big time… for HOPE & CHANGE!
Their tuition sure has changed!

KOOLAID2 on January 11, 2012 at 4:37 PM

CityFish on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I believe the cutoff is 26. After that you are expected to get a job and pay for your own darn health insurance, oh and anyone else’s who doesn’t have it.

Lily on January 11, 2012 at 4:39 PM

…and it doesn’t help that DEM do-gooders fill them full of hooey from the get-go with nonsense like:

Everyone gets a trophy
You can be anything/do anything you want when grow up
The sky’s the limit
Everyone is special (but no one is more “specialer” than anyone else
Education is the key to success

Laura in Maryland on January 11, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Yet another reason for home-schooling. We home-schooled two of ours, and sent the other two to a private school (thanks to the generosity of many friends and a few strangers). All four either found jobs with advancement, or went to “vocational” schools and now have careers. I shudder to think where they’d be if they hadn’t learned personal responsibility and critical thinking at home and in their schools. (probably they’d be back at home, wondering how to pay off their debts and why nobody wanted them to teach underwater basket weaving at an Ivy League university…)

redgypsy on January 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

yer welcome sonny but you need to calibrate a bit. Liberals have always been around, you’re one that proves that now, Carter proved it prior and FDR proves it past that and Woodrow Wilson proves in prior to FDR. How far back you wanna go to isolate the problem you’ve inherited?

A lot of us have tolerated the class of folks that think its good to take from others. Now that you’re holding the bag don’t you wish there had been more of us that carry our own weight?

DanMan on January 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Oh wait–if they knew underwater basket weaving they’d probably have a job at an Ivy League school…

redgypsy on January 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Maybe we could start by quitting this stupid and meaningless categorization into ‘gen X’, ‘millenials’, etc. Why not instead vie for a sense of continuity of generations? That might make the transmission of tradition (including responsibility, hardwork, selflessness, etc.) easier.

by pretending that ‘millenials’ (or any other group for that matter ) have unique concerns, we only increase their sense of victimhood and their false sense of being special. they face the same problems faced by generations of human beings since the dawn of time. The problem is, they’ve been told they’re special, that they’re victims and not taught history, so they have no idea of this.

I just barely missed being a millenial, and yet I sense a huge diff between them and my generation. Let’s quit coddling people in America and work towards a sense of unity under traditional American principles. We can start by stopping all the identity politics/sociology.

avgjo on January 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Don’t worry millenials, Obamacare was designed to take care of the older generations. They will go to Carousel for Renewal.

tom daschle concerned on January 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM

CityFish on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I’m 32 and I have always wondered the same thing.
We came just at the end of Gen X and were born before Gen Y (or millenials or whatever they want to call themselves.)

So… what exactly are we?

For me, I became aware of pop culture and politics in the late 80′s and early 90′s.

Our formative years were kind of split between the success of Reagan’s policies and the weirdness of the Cinton era.

Gen-X was self-obsessed and Gen-Y appears to be self-absorbed with inflated senses of importance.

How do people describe us Gen-Betweeners?

RightWay79 on January 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I’m 18… Was home schooled and am working in receiving at Wal-Mart. Not all of us are miserably walking around in an liberal induced fog, and I personally want to run for office to turn the tide in blue new york.

timbok on January 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

redgypsy on January 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM

That’s a term I always use when describing these classes. A lot of people don’t quite grasp the joke as it were, but my goodness, why does everyone of these types who took these classes thought they were going to get a “good job”? Oh,I know…their professors told them that. It guarantees “their” jobs. Wow,just wow…

chickie on January 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM

good article tina, i shared it on facebook! (i don’t usually share political articles on my fb)

timbok on January 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

woooow i think it’s great you want to run for office! go for it!! and wow you’re even younger than i am… (20)

Sachiko on January 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM

tom daschle concerned on January 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM

You ever see anyone get renewed?

NotCoach on January 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

timbok on January 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Good for you!

I’m 41 and working in produce at a Wal-Mart. Not a bad gig, actually.
Spawn is almost 18, a conservative, and because he lives in Illinois(VERY high unemployment)-has yet to bet his first job. He may attend Texas Tech this year-if he does he can live with us rather than in the dorms and I can help him get into my store. He’s looking forward to that…and helping boot Zero from office.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

timbok on January 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

More power to you!

RightWay79 on January 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM

You ever see anyone get renewed?

NotCoach on January 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

It’s kind of like scanners…but more pagentry!

tom daschle concerned on January 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Heh! Go cry Emo kid and kiss my boomer arse while you are at it. Go don your black t shirt with the faded twin tower print and cry and wail about the world conspiracy to hold your perfect self down.

BL@KBIRD on January 11, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

MY generation came right after the ‘perfect, holy, and pure’ Boomers.
They left us a mess. Sh8t happened -we got over it. Cry. Me. An. Effing. River.
There’s a reason why y’all are called Generation WHIIIINE.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Our daughter in law received her PhD last year in physical chemistry. She’s now doing post-doc work. One would think that she’d be a very smart individual and I’m sure that in her field, she is.
They live in a nice gated community apartment, overlooking a lake and live quite comfortably, compared to how we lived when we were their age.
Every time they come to visit, all we hear from her is how miserable they are because they don’t have any money and how she can’t afford to pay off her student loans. She whines about how easy, rich people have it and how their kids get a free ride to college. She wants her money, and she wants it NOW! I realize that much of it is because of her liberal indoctrination from OSU and I’ve tried to politely explain how personal wealth improves over time through hard work, but it’s like talking to a brick wall. I’ve gotten to the point that I either tell her I don’t want to talk about it or I immediately change the subject.

She definitely falls into the category of these so called millennials.

Norky on January 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

You’re welcome, pal. But better check who actually voted in this nonsense. Those of us who acted responsibly were outvoted every time here in California, and guess who runs California? Here’s a clue: it sure isn’t Conservatives or the responsible. It is a coalition of Unions, “undocumented immigrants” liberal loons, feminists, and takers of all stripes. It’s the same everywhere. California was just ahead of the curve. Hope you enjoy the sandwich they handed you and the rest of us. Down the hatch!

hachiban on January 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM

BL@KBIRD on January 11, 2012 at 5:04 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Alrighty then. You guys admit that Obama and Obamacare ain’t that bad, Medicare is a nonissue, ditto Social Security. Good to get that out of you. So now that that weakass facade has been shattered, do you want to admit the REAL reason you want Obama out so bad? cough*race*cough.

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

They left us a mess. Sh8t happened -we got over it.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Oh yeah, and no you didn’t. You cried and bitched for a couple years, and then jumped on board with the “boomers”. Your generation didn’t solve jack, and you know it. Hope it feels good to you that your “spawn” will be the one spending their life paying for your greedy mistakes.

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM

They left us a mess. Sh8t happened -we got over it.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Oh yeah, and no you didn’t. You cried and whimpered for a couple years, and then jumped on board with the “boomers”. Your generation didn’t solve jack, and you know it. Hope it feels good to you that your “spawn” will be the one spending their life paying for your greedy mistakes.

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM

When I see a youth or a senior with an 0 sticker I laugh hard at them. One he is pushing into debtor prison and the other he is pushing off the cliff.

The people that are getting screwed remind of those in the gulags that would say “Does Stalin know of this?” or the Germans working a shovel to build the autobahn asking if Hitler knew of their misery.

jukin3 on January 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I live in Northern Indiana with one of the highestunemployment rates in the country. ANYONE who can pass a background check can get a job at 1 of 20 factories here at minimum wage working as many hours as they want up to 60.
The problem is that highschool is supposed to becompletely geared toward mind numbing brainwashing mixed with SAT prep and everyone HAS to go to college don’tcha know? Then they feel entitled (don’t we all) to a job that pays a gizzilion dollars an hour. If you want a minimum wage job (Someone’s son in Illinois), come to Norther Indiana!

demotheses on January 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM

How dare these kids who are not even old enough to rent a car complain about us sticking them with a $33+ trillion tab that they had no part in racking up! Us boomers are awesome rah rah!

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Figures. Like I said in my first post, children do not have the mental faculties to cope like an adult.

NotCoach on January 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Is it any wonder they’re breaking towards Ron Paul’s message?

Who can blame them…

The Ugly American on January 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM

So what are you going to do about that? Vote for Obama?

NotCoach on January 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM

avgjo on January 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Excellent point.

I guess it’s easy to slip into the identity politics nonsense when you start separating out the generations and creating your own little group with its own special needs.

RightWay79 on January 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

RightWay79 on January 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Generational warfare.

Norky on January 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Spare us the martyr act. I don’t know about Bl@ckbird-but I was born during the Nixon-era, came of age during the Reagan-era, and a few weeks after I turned 18 helped elect GHWB in 1988. I can-to a point-remember the Vietnam era(had some classmates who’s fathers were lost right before they were born)b and i remember how our Vietnam vets were treated even in the 1980′s. I remember the gas lines and worrying about a nuclear war. I remember having our gas shut-off one cold, Chicago winter because my parents couldn’t pay the bill. My generation didn’t have all the electronic crap y’all now have-and we won’t have the Social Security that the Boomers and War Babies(my parents generation) did/do have. I’ll probably be working at least another 30 + years-especially if my husband retires in 12 years when he turns 65.Those are the breaks. Every generation thinks that their life is worse than the generation that came before. I’m still glad to be Gen X- because part of it have been MUCH better than what came before.
My son is your generation-and he’s cautiously optimistic about the
future. rather than living up to your generations name-how about you try to do the same.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM

So what are you going to do about that? Vote for Obama?

NotCoach on January 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM

How about you? What’s your opposition to Obama? Everyone I’ve ever talked to who is opposed to Obama claims its because of the spending. Which is mostly entitlements. That’s a FACT. But entitlement spending isn’t a concern to you. Only whiny little spoiled brats would complain about that, right? He does a better job at catching terrorists and keeping America “safe” than Bush ever did. So it must be his race then. You know it,I know it, its obvious. But deny away.

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM

And how do you know that I am OK with entitlement spending? What was your first clue?

NotCoach on January 11, 2012 at 5:38 PM

2003 – graduated university
2005 – paid off student loans
2007 – saved enough money to move to another state
2010 – promoted to uncle
2011 – signed mortgage on a modest condo
2012 – adopted a dog
2013 – ????

I must be doing something horribly wrong to have gotten where I am without the government. GEE THANKS A LOT, MOM & DAD

(I would like to replace my vintage-2005 computer at some point – can you believe I still play TF2 with only 3GB of RAM?!)

Jeddite on January 11, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Actually Sweetie-I loathe Boomers-with the exception of the one I’m married to. He was born in 1959 though-so he almost isn’t considered one.
Whiiiine.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 5:40 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Guess what. The older generations shafted you and your peers as well. Instead of excusing it, maybe you should be pissed that you have to work at least 3 decades more, and probably beyond, since these guys legislated themselves future money and benefits that they never earned.

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Whiiiine.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 5:40 PM

You might stop with that, considering it was you, not I, that wrote a nice long pity party about yourself. Not that I blame you for it.

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 5:44 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 5:40 PM

’59 here as well. Part of the limbo generation.

Norky on January 11, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Btw: I’ve been active in conservative politics since before I could vote. I’m a former Protest Warrior and was an active and outspoken member of several Chicago tea party groups. In 1996 I was VERY involved in Al Salvi’s failed Senate attempt and would just love it if Bobby Jindal(another Gen X’er) were to run for president. Zerocare is evil, medicare needs to be reformed, and I wish I could put what is being taken out of my paycheck for SS into a private savings account.
You’re a typical ‘kid’ who thinks that he knows everything-but really doesn’t

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM

’59 here as well. Part of the limbo generation.

Norky on January 11, 2012 at 5:45 PM

You have more in common with X than the Boomers. We don’t have cookies-but come to the Darkside anyway. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Last summer I found three jobs, admittedly none of them could be considered a consistent part-time job but I managed to get at least 15 hours of work a week at a good hourly rate. I worked hard and now i have a good reference base from which to draw so when I look for a job that pays better and requires more commitment I have an edge. Im 19. If your in my generation please feel free to take notes because I already have a job lined up for the upcoming summer.

TheOarsman on January 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Most of the time, I wholeheartedly agree with you guys, but when it comes to your blanket characterization of everyone in their twenties, you guys epically fail.

I am 24 years old. Graduated in the top 1% of my high school class. Got a full ride to college and earned a practical degree with high honors. There were no jobs when I graduated, so I went to law school. One semester from graduating, I look at the job market and wonder why the heck I wasted 7 years of high achievement for nothing.

I’m very fiscally conservative and I’ve never taken a handout. Please knock it off with the holier than thou attitude. I have been old enough to vote in ONE presidential election, and it wasn’t for Obama. I can hardly be blamed for this nation’s fiscal woes and lackluster job market.

P.S. We did not raise ourselves. You guys did. If you’ve got a problem with how we grew up, thank yourselves for the everyone gets a trophy attitude.

/soapbox off

conservative_student on January 11, 2012 at 5:57 PM

You’re a typical ‘kid’ who thinks that he knows everything-but really doesn’t

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I wish you could too. I really don’t know why you’re attacking me, seeing as how we’re in agreement. You called me a whiner not many minutes ago for expressing the same sentiments as you are now. And now you are saying I don’t know anything, again, for holding the SAME position as you. What does that say about you?

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM

conservative_student on January 11, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Good job!(not even remotely sarcastic)
‘Our’ problems are with those that think like Daikokuco.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I wrote that because of this statement of yours:

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

When you make assumptions that have no basis in fact(the only reason we don’t like Zero is because he’s black but if he were white we’d think his policies were just hunky-dory) you make an ass out of you.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Good job!(not even remotely sarcastic) ‘Our’ problems are with those that think like Daikokuco.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Thank you. You guys just don’t understand how demoralizing it is when people I respect (my elder conservatives) assume everyone my age is a lazy, handout-taking, OWS sympathizing person. Many of us are just afraid to speak out in any meaningful way. There are repurcussions for young conservatives who do such things.

conservative_student on January 11, 2012 at 6:11 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Based on your “shut up and deal with it” reaction, it appeared that you had no problem with the entitlements and debt burden. IF you are fine with the entitlement state, yet want to get rid of Obama, what other conclusion can be made? Since then you have made it clear you are opposed to the entitlement state, and in fact, hold the same views you were calling me and the millenials babies or whatever for holding.

Again: But mostly. Thanks, older generations, for writing entitlements to yourselves that enslave your own descendants and their descendants, for the foreseeable future.

By older generations, I didn’t necessarily mean all generations older than millenials. I meant “older generations”, as in Boomers and their predecessors. The impacts of Obamacare have yet to be really felt, maybe that one can be pinned on Gen X. But not yet.

As conservative_student pointed out, the blind schadenfraude towards millenials is pretty messed up here.

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM

conservative_student on January 11, 2012 at 6:11 PM

True story: The day after Carter won(I had just turned 6) my first grade teacher had us all gather ’round while she showed us a newspaper story of the new First family. She was absolutely star-struck and just gushing…until little me interrupted her with a rather plaintive, “Yes-but MY Mommy and Daddy didn’t vote for him!’ 35+ years later I STILL haven’t shut up.
Don’t you ‘shut-up’ either.
_Barb

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM

You’re braver than most. I can just picture the look on your teacher’s face. Unfortunately, when you’re surrounded by an echo chamber of marxism, it’s not so easy. These people control my grades, career prospects, and future. Outing yourself as a conservative is a real easy way to be blacklisted from the legal community. I don’t even have a Facebook anymore because I could not post what I believed without gaining myself a “reputation.” For my own sake, it’s easier to play nice. Hopefully that will change someday.

The liberal takeover of higher education has been a massive black mark on our society. Nothing else extinguishes diverse thought faster.

conservative_student on January 11, 2012 at 6:38 PM

timbok and conservative_student- You go kids! My daughter is 18. She is mildly autistic, so we started helping her financially when she went to college in the fall. We try to cut her some slack, because of her disabilities, but when she started acting out, and getting this huge entitled attitude, we decided to yank her from school. We sat her down, and said these are the breaks, kid. You can get a job, and pay for your own school. See how the real world is. So she did- she got a job, earned a semester’s tuition, and now she is back in school, much wiser, much humbler. But also, much more confident and hopeful for the future. It doesn’t really matter what the “times” are like. I grew up in supposedly “good” times, but my parents were lazy and poor, and I had to make my own way. I worked hard at crappy jobs through college, and it can still be done. You can whine about the hand you are dealt, or you can use what you’ve got and play your hand wisely.

Kristamatic on January 11, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Kristamatic on January 11, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Good for you guys and your daughter! The value of a dollar and hard work can’t be taught in my opinion – can only be learned through experience.

Please do not mistake what I said as whining. I’m taking what I’ve been dealt and I’m working with it the best I can. I’m working two jobs and going to graduate school fulltime. Gotta do what ya gotta do. It’d just be nice to feel that a white picket fence was even possible anymore.

I will die trying to earn a living before I take one dime of someone else’s hard work. You oldtimers should cut us youngins’ a break every once in a while. :)

conservative_student on January 11, 2012 at 6:52 PM

conservative_student on January 11, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I grew up right-leaning Jewish in Nation of Islam territory. If you didn’t shout’ -you got trampled.
I’m returning to school to finish my BA in History this month. In September, my son will probably be starting @ the same school(Texas Tech), with the same major,as a freshman.
I’m not being cowed-and he won’t be either.
Neither should you.
*praying that you’ll ‘find your voice’. Smiles*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

just wait till these millenials pay into SSI for decades and then get told there’s nothing left for them, thats when the S will hit the fan…

burserker on January 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

conservative_student on January 11, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I Btw: She sighed and looked skyward. LoL
Her name was Grace Parker.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Good luck! Many a good friend of mine have gone to Texas Tech. Good school! I have fond memories of school clothes shopping trips to South Plains Mall.

conservative_student on January 11, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Daikokuco

I’m not that much older than you.

there are a lot of jerks in the previous generation that are determined to get their gubmint’ cheese, come hell or high water. they’re the ones who’d rather bankrupt the country than give up their ‘entitlements’.

Get over it. All the whining in the world is not going to change the following facts:

1. They’re not going to change.

2. They’re not going to take responsibility.

3. We’re not going to see all that money we dump into SS/Mediscare with every pay check.

4. We have our work cut out for us.

Read some history. I suggest reading the history of Rome, England and early America. Those people found themselves in crapsville at the outset. But they were hardasses who didn’t whine. They ate meat, drank heartily, acted responsibly to their God (gods in Rome), families and countries, worked their tails off and kicked some serious butt. And they wound up on the top of the heap. They didn’t tolerate anything but excellence, they didn’t tolerate effeminate, touchy-feely bitching and moaning and they didn’t tolerate their enemies. It’s a winning formula and if we follow it, we win.

We young folk have a choice. We can be pathetic pantywastes and cry about how horrible life is even as it gets worse. Or we can gird up our loins, say we refuse to give even one inch more of territory, and tell the bad guys, ‘You better run, because we’re coming to get you and we’re not going to stop until we win.’

avgjo on January 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Daikokuco on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

You’re awesome. Well said!

Who is John Galt on January 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM

CityFish on January 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

You’re Generation Y(The definition I’ve seen calls ‘Millennials’ starting around 2000)…but just barely. I think ‘Y’ started in 1981 or 1982.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

test.

Is posting working?

avgjo on January 11, 2012 at 8:29 PM

avgjo on January 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM

This

Who is John Galt on January 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM

She definitely falls into the category of these so called millennials.

Norky on January 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

People with advanced degrees in basic science don’t make very much ($30-40K/yr), until they get a job in industry or get a job as a professor. Of course, most places you go to get the PhD actually give you a stipend to get your degree. Student loan debt must be from undergrad….

nazo311 on January 11, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I get so angry when I hear these “kids” whine about all their school loans and how they can’t pay. My husband I have both gotten our Masters and he is now working on his Doctorate, all without taking out a single loan. We got our undergrads when I was a stay at home mom and he was making less than $30,000 a year. We worked hard and did without in order to pay our tuition. It can be done and it’s actually not that difficult. But then, you have to give up all the expensive toys and live within your means – something so many people just don’t understand.

jr.roman on January 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Thanks for all the kind words everybody, but I’m just doing what I need to do… College is something I’ve considered numerous times, but I really dont want to be a teacher, so my love for history has its limitations, thus my love for politics is basically my plan “b” for life…

timbok on January 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM