DNC Chair revives old meme: Tea Party still to blame for Tucson shooting

posted at 4:50 pm on January 11, 2012 by Tina Korbe

If you thought we’d made it safely through the anniversary of the tragedy in Tucson without a revival of the accusation that Tea Party rhetoric was somehow to blame for the mental instability of shooter Jared Loughner, think again. Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz couldn’t let this time of commemoration pass without suggesting to anyone who will listen to her that incivility has increased with the rise of the Tea Party — and that heated political rhetoric played at least some part in Rep. Gabby Giffords’ horrific ordeal. Joel Gehrke relates:

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., speaking in New Hampshire this morning, reminded her audience of the tragic Tucson shooting last year — and also insinuated that the Tea Party, which she said regards political opponents as “the enemy,” has enhanced divisiveness in Congress and had something to do with the shooting, at least indirectly.

“We need to make sure that we tone things down, particularly in light of the Tucson tragedy from a year ago, where my very good friend, Gabby Giffords — who is doing really well, by the way, — [was shot],” Wasserman Schultz, the Democratic National Committee chair said during a “Politics and Eggs” forum this morning. “The discourse in America, the discourse in Congress in particular . . . has really changed, I’ll tell you. I hesitate to place blame, but I have noticed it take a very precipitous turn towards edginess and lack of civility with the growth of the Tea Party movement.”

Having brought up the Giffords attack as a political cudgel, Wasserman Schultz doubled down on that attack. “You had town hall meetings that they tried to take over, and you saw some their conduct at those tea party meetings,” Wasserman Schultz said today. “When they come and disagree with you, you’re not just wrong, you’re the enemy.”

If Wasserman Schultz’ comments capture reality at all it is only insofar as the rise of the Tea Party has also — naturally — coincided with the rise of Tea Party opponents, whose rhetoric is frequently edgy and uncivil. Remember when …

• DWS herself said Republicans “literally” want to drag the country “back to Jim Crow days”?
  • Rep. Andre Carson said Tea Partiers want to see minorities “hanging on a tree”?
  • Rep. Maxine Waters said the Tea Party could go straight to hell?
  • Rep. Frederica Wilson called the Tea Party “the real enemy”?

Shall I go on? Debbie Downer is in serious denial about who is responsible for whatever rise in heated rhetoric has occurred since the Tea Party first appeared on the national stage. It’d be nice if the incivility would stop — but, at a bare minimum, the hypocrisy has to.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

florida humidity curling more than her hair.

Bensonofben on January 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Apparently Debbie Downer isn’t above showing herself to be shameless liar.

darwin on January 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Together We Thrive™ Debbie.

I went to the memorial to get my swag.

tom daschle concerned on January 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Just in time for 0bama’s 2012 campaign.

You know they’re going to milk this for all it’s worth. I just hope it backfires on them. Because it is a complete lie.

UltimateBob on January 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM

A certain line in ‘Slap Shot’ comes to mind, but I probably shouldn’t write it here, this being a family friendly site and all.

Chad_ on January 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM

SK@NK Dws

JustJP on January 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM

[DWS] also insinuated that the Tea Party, which she said regards political opponents as “the enemy”

Pure projection. Liberals see those who disagree with them as “the enemy”, who must be destroyed.

Paul-Cincy on January 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Cunning Stunt!

400lb Gorilla on January 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM

It is utterly risible stuff from this toad of a ‘woman’ but the thing is she does have an audience of willing believers.

There really are people out there who believe the Tea Party is composed of trigger happy racist nazis. They are told this time and time again and they buy it.

So tactics-wise, it’s probably an ok move by Debs.

CorporatePiggy on January 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM

The Big Lie

CrazyGene on January 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Debbie Blabbermouth Schultz is a bigoted whackjob. Let’s hope she continues to get re-elected so she can continue to be the face of the left.

CurtZHP on January 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I heard that the Democrats, and Obama especially want to start Jewish concentration camps, and start killing Jews.

I don’t know if this has been confirmed, but hey, there is as much truth to this as there is that the TEA party is responsible for the Arizona killings.

portlandon on January 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM

JetBoy on January 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM

ROFL

Yet when leftist union thugs beat some political adversary into unconsciousness, it’s just “passion”.

Bishop on January 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Because it is a complete lie.

UltimateBob on January 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Sarah Palin stood up to them. She probably went through a lot of private anguish at the attacks on her, then she collected herself and told it like it was … “blood libel” — accusing someone of killing innocents, to whip up passions for your own sick and twisted agenda. See also: The Democratic Party.

Paul-Cincy on January 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM

The most disgusting part of this whole episode is that no prominent Republican came to the defense of Sarah Palin when she was accused of being complicit in murder. I will never forgive the GOP establishment for never coming th her defense.

idesign on January 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I’d like to go on record as accusing OWS for causing the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Makes just as much sense…

Meric1837 on January 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Apparently Debbie Downer isn’t above showing herself to be shameless liar.

darwin on January 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM

She’s a Democrat — lying is what they do.

Dasher on January 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

400lb Gorilla on January 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I don’t care who you are, that right there is funny.

Mord on January 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

WHO is the Republican counterpart? I know who it is, but the point is this mess and Howard Dean get the job done while Republicans sneer and snicker. We need Palin, not “his name escapes me now”.

Marcus on January 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Besides the “extremely extreme” blowhard rhetoric that DWS and the Dems repeat to demonize their political opposition, what substance do they offer?

Yuval Levin wonders exactly what Obama plans to run on.

onlineanalyst on January 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

to

idesign on January 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Democrats have convinced themselves the ends justify the means.

darwin on January 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Is it a tranny? Bigger Adams apple than Schwarzenegger.

gbear on January 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Democrats have convinced themselves the ends justify the means.

darwin on January 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM

And they’re never called on it. Not a flippin word from the republicans…

sandee on January 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM

It’s indecent to trot out the topic and the subjects.

The left will milk this for the next 100 years.

DW Schmutz is perfect in her position.

Schadenfreude on January 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM

We can count on the Dems to exploit certain anniversaries– Black History Month and MLK’s birthday and now the Tuscon shootings (even though they were not prompted by political differences). These emotional events are their bread and butter.

It’s odd that the anniversary of 9/11 was off the table until it became Obama’s revisionist “Day of Service” celebration, isn’t it?

onlineanalyst on January 11, 2012 at 5:04 PM

“Those rightwing fascist stormtrooper tea baggers, those white people who want to enslave minorities and kill everyone who isn’t Christian, they all want to see liberal politicians shot in the head! They and their murderous inbred thinking directly caused Gabby Giffords to be shot.

Not that I’m casting blame or anything, just need to make that clear.”

Bishop on January 11, 2012 at 5:04 PM

We also started the Great Chicago Fire, assassinated JFK and invented diaper rash.

Crusty on January 11, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Well, it’s a good thing peace was restored through the Occupy Wall Street movement.

mizflame98 on January 11, 2012 at 5:06 PM

WHAT’S’ERNAME SHLITZ!!!!

Seriously, what a disgusting waste of oxygen.

S. D. on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I saw that a man who was shot and his wife was killed there is less than happy with Giffords and blames her for not having Police protection after numerous death threats against her. I agree with him….

sandee on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Wackadoodle alert!!

ladyingray on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Yup, to get away from those dangerous Tea Parties, I go to inner-city Cleveland, Detroit, and South Chicago. No Tea Parties. You know you’re safe there, because all the windows have bars on them.

RBMN on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

JetBoy on January 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM

This amuses me, and why would the tea party pretend, they been brandishing guns at rallies and speaking of violent overthrow of Obama. I remember a tea party but job bringing an assult riffle machine gun to Obama town hall, he was stopped outside but was allowed to brandish that weapon in public to the terror of all standby. NutJobs, I mean how many have been arrested for plotting to attack the president. Why pretend. It’s not like you did condem it if you saw it.

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

will never forgive the GOP establishment for never coming th her defense.

idesign on January 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Lost your political virginity I see. I came into the political arena at the ripe old age of 21 in 1972 with the reelection of Nixon. Since then I have never seen the GOP come to the defense of one of their own. I’m not holding my breath that they will now develop a spine and some gonads in our country’s time of need.

chemman on January 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

“The discourse in America, the discourse in Congress in particular . . . has really changed, I’ll tell you. I hesitate to place blame, but I have noticed it take a very precipitous turn towards edginess and lack of for civility with the growth of the Tea Party movement.”

This teabagger thinks, she’s just so sweet to think of us this way. Definitely a keeper. Better then all the others DNC spokesperson’s put together.

Bmore on January 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Debbie doo doo, is going to be the death of me.
Everytime she appears, my stomach gets emptied.
With the frequency of her appearances as the
election draws nearer, and the Press needing
her on more often…since ‘they’ can ignore,
what’s been going on for three years…divert,
but not lie too much…there should be nothing
left of me…by June.

KOOLAID2 on January 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

O/T: First lady totally pissed that’s she’s being labled an ‘angry black woman‘.

dont taze me bro on January 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Hahahaha

Wow … talk about nut jobs!

darwin on January 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Bishop on January 11, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Thanks for that additional clarity and insight! LOL!

Bmore on January 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM

She’s been dipping into Pelosi’s pill stash again.

forest on January 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM

UltimateBob on January 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM

..Paul wellstone alert!

The War Planner on January 11, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I like having her around. She serves up more hanging curve balls than A.J. Burnett.

a capella on January 11, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Did DWS look like she just slept with Harry Belafante?

KOOLAID2 on January 11, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Are both of DWS’s parents still in jail for defrauding their local government agencies?

The nut didn’t fall far from the tree with mayo head.

OAN, I’m pretty pissed that Michelle 0bama is an angry black woman.

jukin3 on January 11, 2012 at 5:12 PM

debbie “downer” is clearly in competition with buffoon jon stewart, sewer-rat bill maher and the other lunatic-left so-call comedians for who gets the biggest laughs for being totally out-of-touch with reality in their loony-bin fantasy world of leftist extremism. I vote for debbie !!!!!

TeaPartyNation on January 11, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Ok, now I know residentblue is a caricature, because that right there is just too obvious.

Bishop on January 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I mean how many have been arrested for plotting to attack the president.

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

So how many have? And how many have been right wing, anarchist, left wing or just plain nut jobs? I doubt you have the answer to either question so go on assuming that it is all on the conservatives back.

chemman on January 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I will never forgive the GOP establishment for never coming th her defense.

idesign on January 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

They wanted her out of the way. How else is Romney supposed to lose gracefully to 0bama?

CurtZHP on January 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Did anyone at the Tea Party shoot someone? Nope. Did anyone at the Tea Party threaten Obama’s life? Nope. An actual death threat to Obama came from a guy hanging out with the Occupiers. Do you know what everyone said about the guy who brought an assault rifle to a rally? No, you weren’t here when people made comments about it. If you have no evidence that the Tea Party caused or encouraged violence, then zip it.

mizflame98 on January 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

You don’t properly employ English. So we can assume you are an ignorant democrat or you are a foreigner. In any case, all you have accomplished is a confession of your ignorance and stupidity.

May God have mercy on your soul.

tom daschle concerned on January 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

there are so many flaws in what she said that i’m not going to take up my time bothering to point them all out. normally i would, but this time there are too many.

she is always stupid, she is a HUGE hypocrite, liar, dirtbag, pile of crap, etc etc. i would go into why but again, it would take a lot of time. i hate her. and it takes a lot for me to say that i hate a person, i usually say “strongly dislike” or “can’t stand” but she is such a dishonest slimy creep that i’m just furious at her.

sarah was the main person to take the blame. she gave a very classy response, watch it!! i really think this is one of her finest moments.

Sachiko on January 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Anyone who has ever attended a Tea Party even should file a class action suit. Just kidding but you have to admit it sounds fun.

Cindy Munford on January 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

You forgot to mention the rape tents at every Tea Party rally. Oh, wait….

CurtZHP on January 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

“Hey Norman, I caught Walter!”

Del Dolemonte on January 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

LOL!

a capella on January 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

*Looks at gun collection

Man I could use an assault riffle machine gun…or three…in black.

tom daschle concerned on January 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

She’s using the same playbook as Democrats in the past. It’s so transparent and annoying.

drewwerd on January 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I have no idea what your point is … please explain.

darwin on January 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

GOP should spend the money to run a commercial across the nation with every crazy thing this moron says. Let it point out to the poeple that this is the kind of people you support when you vote democrat. But the GOP being the ball less wonders they are wont.

Sultanofsham on January 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Why? Who’s going to call them on it? The LSM? A fighting Republican? Who is going to do it? I don’t see anyone in sight! No fighters on our side…..

Dr. Demento on January 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

residentstool… climb back into the hole you crawled out of.

sandee on January 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I wonder what Giffords thinks about DWS’s inane comment.

JetBoy on January 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Sentiments expressed in her and hubby’s book agree with it.

CDeb on January 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Trash.
Pure trash.
You have to call these people what they really are.
Civility is lost on these liars, thieves and reprobates and only enables them to continue to harm people.

justltl on January 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM

/s

FIFY

bernzright777 on January 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM

“I hesitate to place blame …”

There’s a lie right there.

BD57 on January 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM

An oldie, but goodie…

Mr & Ms Progressive, I Think That You Already Know Monsieur Petard, But Please Allow Me To Introduce You To Your Hoist

Resist We Much on January 11, 2012 at 5:19 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Oh, you mean that black guy who MSNBC tried to make into a white guy to sell the public that the Tea Party are a bunch of racist gun packing rednecks that want to shoot Obama.

mizflame98 on January 11, 2012 at 5:19 PM

The last person shot by a Tea Partier was a British soldier in 1781, so why can’t Wannamouth Shut let bygones be bygones?

If you really want to hear Wasserman scream, let Sarah Palin comb her with a fine-toothed comb!

Steve Z on January 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

The first rule of holes applies. When you find yourself in a hole (assault rifle machine gun) quit digging. Semiautomatic weapons are not assault weapons.

chemman on January 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Of course they’re responsible for it. And they lost the Senate for the GOP toooooo!!!!! /

ddrintn on January 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Haha, seriously? Even my most liberal friends on facebook debunked any tea party ties to the shooting in less than an hour. I guess she didn’t get the memo?

jdespirito on January 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM

BTW, Arizona has open carry laws so the guy wasn’t breaking the law. Still don’t know what this has to do with DWS saying it’s the Tea Party’s fault people got shot when it was proven the gunman was a mental case who didn’t follow politics.

mizflame98 on January 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Dumber than dirt Gargoyle!

jack48 on January 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM

… um … prob’ly not :)

Axe on January 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Excuse my typo, I’m on my phone until I get home. Its hard to edit on these small thumb screens.

But it wasn’t just one guy or one incident.

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

And they’re never called on it. Not a flippin word from the republicans…

sandee on January 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM

The press might write a bad story about them…

… so better leave well enough alone.

Seven Percent Solution on January 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I keep looking for a sarc tag…you can’t be serious…

JetBoy on January 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

tom daschle concerned on January 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

lmao!!!

bernzright777 on January 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

But it wasn’t just one guy or one incident.

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

What is your point? Was someone doing something illegal?

darwin on January 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

High humor, mixed with heavy sarcasm. Kudos to you sir. Keep them coming. Funny stuff!

Paul-Cincy on January 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Does an “assult riffle” shoot wiffle balls?

Resist We Much on January 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM

/s

FIFY

bernzright777 on January 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Nevermind…bernzright found it.

JetBoy on January 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

What terror was that? I live in an open carry and concealed carry state. Their was a black man carrying a semiautomatic rifle at a rally in my state and no one was running around in terror as a result. I see people daily walking into places of business openly carrying and no one gives it a second thought. Just because you are in abject terror on someone carrying a gun doesn’t mean they are out to get you. You need to get some treatment for that paranoia.

chemman on January 11, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Why pretend. It’s not like you did condem it if you saw it.
residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

As you said, the police did not confiscate the firearm so what’s to condemn?

Do you normally spend your days condemning people who aren’t breaking the law? What a strange psychological world you live in.

Bishop on January 11, 2012 at 5:26 PM

CSPAN ? really? don’t watch much- but is this an NPR deal going on here ??
Where does CSPAN get its funding from???

FlaMurph on January 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

She is despicable for doing so…

Mr. Joe on January 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

True story. In August 2009 during the one and only townhall meeting Al Green – D Tx09 arranged he bussed in about 1,200 SEIU to a total crowd of 2,000. They thought they had it well scripted but I put a traditionally black name on the card for questions and eventually got picked. I asked three questions, 1) could he name a federal program that came in on budget, 2) could he explain using the numbers he cited to open the meeting how we we’re going to pay for the additional 45 million people he said would get insurance using that same money under ObamaCare, 3) how will a young doctor coming out of medical school ever expect to pay off his student loans getting medicare rates?

It shut down the meeting and ended with him screaming at me and his union folks chanting “Yes we can!” It was hilarious and frightening at the same time.

DanMan on January 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

She can’t let it go…and she is “vile and despicable”

Mr. Joe on January 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM

That’s an insult to the cow? and twisted sister….

sandee on January 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM

The Left continues to bash the right nonsensically since they can’t applaud anything the Democrats have done the past few years. I wonder what Giffords thinks about DWS’s inane comment. JetBoy on January 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

they been brandishing guns”…they been?!? What an uneducated idiot you are….they been…hahahahahaha…

Ltlgeneral64 on January 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM

So Axelrod defends Jeremiah Wright today and Debbie Dunce wants to rehash Tucson. These morons are on a roll. Let’s go for the trifecta: I look for Holder to come out any minute and reiterate how he knew nothing about Fast and Furious, or perhaps Obama will give a speech about Solyndra’s profitability.

Erich66 on January 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM

The shooter was a (likely) paranoid schizophrenic whose syndrome didn’t manifest noticeably enough before his eighteenth birthday, when nobody could commit him or make him take his meds.

Want fault? It’s his—sort of.

Sekhmet on January 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM

But it wasn’t just one guy or one incident.

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

You worry about someone carrying a gun legally and you are texting while driving. I hope I am wrong about my assumption that you are driving. If I am not much hypocrisy in your posts because you are a greater risk to innocent individuals than I am when I openly carry.

chemman on January 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Its all they’ve got. Anger, hatred, and lies. She has no idea what truth is.

Mirimichi on January 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM

But it wasn’t just one guy or one incident.

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

It’s just 417 incidents….

Resist We Much on January 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Ltlgeneral64 on January 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Good catch. Legally carrying a weapon in an open carry state is not brandishing it.

chemman on January 11, 2012 at 5:32 PM