DNC Chair revives old meme: Tea Party still to blame for Tucson shooting

posted at 4:50 pm on January 11, 2012 by Tina Korbe

If you thought we’d made it safely through the anniversary of the tragedy in Tucson without a revival of the accusation that Tea Party rhetoric was somehow to blame for the mental instability of shooter Jared Loughner, think again. Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz couldn’t let this time of commemoration pass without suggesting to anyone who will listen to her that incivility has increased with the rise of the Tea Party — and that heated political rhetoric played at least some part in Rep. Gabby Giffords’ horrific ordeal. Joel Gehrke relates:

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., speaking in New Hampshire this morning, reminded her audience of the tragic Tucson shooting last year — and also insinuated that the Tea Party, which she said regards political opponents as “the enemy,” has enhanced divisiveness in Congress and had something to do with the shooting, at least indirectly.

“We need to make sure that we tone things down, particularly in light of the Tucson tragedy from a year ago, where my very good friend, Gabby Giffords — who is doing really well, by the way, — [was shot],” Wasserman Schultz, the Democratic National Committee chair said during a “Politics and Eggs” forum this morning. “The discourse in America, the discourse in Congress in particular . . . has really changed, I’ll tell you. I hesitate to place blame, but I have noticed it take a very precipitous turn towards edginess and lack of civility with the growth of the Tea Party movement.”

Having brought up the Giffords attack as a political cudgel, Wasserman Schultz doubled down on that attack. “You had town hall meetings that they tried to take over, and you saw some their conduct at those tea party meetings,” Wasserman Schultz said today. “When they come and disagree with you, you’re not just wrong, you’re the enemy.”

If Wasserman Schultz’ comments capture reality at all it is only insofar as the rise of the Tea Party has also — naturally — coincided with the rise of Tea Party opponents, whose rhetoric is frequently edgy and uncivil. Remember when …

• DWS herself said Republicans “literally” want to drag the country “back to Jim Crow days”?
  • Rep. Andre Carson said Tea Partiers want to see minorities “hanging on a tree”?
  • Rep. Maxine Waters said the Tea Party could go straight to hell?
  • Rep. Frederica Wilson called the Tea Party “the real enemy”?

Shall I go on? Debbie Downer is in serious denial about who is responsible for whatever rise in heated rhetoric has occurred since the Tea Party first appeared on the national stage. It’d be nice if the incivility would stop — but, at a bare minimum, the hypocrisy has to.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Debbie Whatshername-Putz disgusts me…

PointnClick on January 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Baghdad Boob strikes again!

50sGuy on January 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM

nasty, ugly-minded wretch. Ugly inside and out. One of the few people on this planet who can make me feel hatred.

Harbingeing on January 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Geez yer givin nasty, ugly-minded wretches a bad name IMHO

Katfish on January 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

You worry about someone carrying a gun legally and you are texting while driving. I hope I am wrong about my assumption that you are driving. If I am not much hypocrisy in your posts because you are a greater risk to innocent individuals than I am when I openly carry.

chemman on January 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM

well played, old chap!

BabyElephantWalk on January 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I’d like to see Megyn Kelly stalk her until she gets an interview for ‘clarification’. No matter who finally corners DWS on this on camera, she’ll double down on stupid and make it even worse. Dumocrats really are that stupid, aren’t they?

Harbingeing on January 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM

There is no cure for what ails this awful awful woman. Ms. Wassername Schultz is simply one of those people that truly has NOTHING to offer. An absolute waste of life.

Tim Zank on January 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Bet you Giffords dislikes DWS as well.

Sherman1864 on January 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Harbingeing on January 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Oh she’d double down for sure. It’s not that she (or the rest of them) are actually stupid, it’s that they are liars. That’s the biggest problem is they have absolutely no compunction about lying to your face, or the cameras at all.

They have convinced themselves it’s ok to lie in pursuit of the greater good.

She’s just an “effin’” liar, period.

Tim Zank on January 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM

This amuses me, and why would the tea party pretend, they been brandishing guns at rallies and speaking of violent overthrow of Obama. I remember a tea party but job bringing an assult riffle machine gun to Obama town hall, he was stopped outside but was allowed to brandish that weapon in public to the terror of all standby. NutJobs, I mean how many have been arrested for plotting to attack the president. Why pretend. It’s not like you did condem it if you saw it.

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Hey!
Can someone home school this idiot – for the rest of us!
Coming to this site usually educates me…I just got sooooo much dumber! I think I had to go over this for five minutes-five times…and each time I said…WHAT?
Was someone getting salted with condoms?

KOOLAID2 on January 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Who is to blame for her stupidity, or is it congential?

St Gaudens on January 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM

It runs in the family.

The nut doesn’t fall far from the tree: Debbie Wasserman-Schultz’s parents involved in all kinds of skulduggery

Flora Duh on January 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Harbingeing on January 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM

They have convinced themselves it’s ok to lie in pursuit of the greater good.

She’s just an “effin’” liar, period.

Tim Zank on January 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM

She’s supposed to be on Greta tonight to discuss this. Of course I’d much rather see Megyn open a can of whup-azz on her.

Flora Duh on January 11, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I’m going to say a variation of the same thing to you that I’ve said to others, including Ed and Allah. This isn’t denial on her part, or hypocrisy. This is absolutely about controlling the narrative. She knows exactly what she’s saying. She’s fully aware of the lie. And it’s a perfect example of the Big Lie.

She (and the rest of her cohorts) are engaged in a massive propaganda campaign. It’s all about repeating this viciousness again, and again, and again, and again. It’s about pummeling the enemy with these vicious smears, in an attempt to wear us down to the point where we shrug our shoulders and stop arguing. Which is a victory for those slime bags.

I’ll admit to having given up, to a certain extent. I used to post all of these lies on my Facebook page, and argue how it was never about a “new civility”. That it was always about controlling the narrative. But nobody ever got it. I felt like I was arguing with mud. I have a good friend who insisted that Sarah Palin should have apologized for the target imagery. He never understood that that would have been conceding a critical point in the overall argument.

The Left wants nothing more, and nothing less, than to suppress the voice of the Tea Party. And by extension everyone on the Right. It’s not about civility. It’s about shutting down dissent. Period.

The Left knows exactly what they’re doing. They’re not being hypocrites, or in denial.

They’re being Stalinists.

Period.

You guys need to get that. Otherwise, you’re playing by their rules. Which is a losing battle.

You’re assuming basically good (but misguided) intentions on their part. You have to stop that.

nukemhill on January 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I know I am not being politically correct-but- here goes:

I would have had a fit if my husband did a documentary video diary of my recovery from a gun shot to my head. I guess that was quick planning for a later opportunity.

The video, the book… dollars-maybe?

In fact, it is truly a miracle that Gabby Giffords survived and continues to recover so well. The entire country was praying for her regardless of their party affiliation-(including me), but we have still have the Diane Sawyer interview and Mark Kelly pointing out in his book…

drum roll please:

the Sarah Palin TARGETS.

Unfortunately and sadly politics will never leave this tragic event that took the lives of so many innocent people.

On the other hand we have the head of the DNC_Debbie Wasserman-Shultz who looks into the camera and LIES. FLAT OUT LIES. She is truly a pathological liar.

President Obama reads his lies off the teleprompter, Wasserman-Shultz rattles lies right off the top of her head and I don’t know how she gets away with it.

Oh, I forgot, the mainstream media!

djn on January 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM

nukemhill on January 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Amen to that.

Tim Zank on January 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I usually don’t attack a person’s looks, but this D-W-S girl has just about the worst looking hair I’ve ever seen…Sorry!

elihu on January 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Flora Duh on January 11, 2012 at 7:53 PM

That’ll be some painful must-see TV. One good thing is that Greta and Sarah appear to be pretty good friends, as well as being FNC colleagues. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Greta go all grizzly on DWS. Greta doesn’t dig liars.

Harbingeing on January 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Dumocrats really are that stupid, aren’t they?

Harbingeing on January 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM

And fat.

Jaibones on January 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Hags are indignant.

Eren on January 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Yeh i remember you here yelling about all the leftists calling for the death of Bush , making movies about killing him, hanging him in effigy,….. etc. Oh wait you didn’t say a word.

CW on January 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Republicans should learn how to use Saturday Night Live (which usually attacks and causes great political harm to Republicans), against liberals. For instance, Wasserman Schultz should always be called Debbie Downer, becasue she is Debbie Downer, and also all videos of her should have this sound effect in them at least once.

OxyCon on January 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Most in the country hope she loses her Florida seat to Karen Harrington in November. She only spews blame and venom when she speaks. Disgusting.

Amazingoly on January 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Astounding that DNC continues to let her represent them. Good for the GOP though–she’s so out in orbit.

jeanie on January 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Good lord, this woman in a certified idiot . . . but a perfect representative for the Democrat Party.

rplat on January 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM

BTW, has anyone figured out why Gifford was subscribed to Loughner’s Youtube account?

Mad Kimchi on January 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Absolutely vile woman and all of the other leftists using this stalinist tactic. All the way to Sheriff Dumbass who started the whole thing last January 8.

Gee, was that too uncivil? Too bad

AZfederalist on January 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
Debbie’s mother, former Broward County Commissioner Diana Wasserman-Rubin, is scheduled for trial on May 14 for five felony counts of unlawful compensation.

Her stepfather, Richard Rubin, is serving a federal prison sentence for tax evasion.

Trucorgi on January 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

David Brooks Blasts Media Coverage of Giffords Shooting
***
Gabrielle Giffords Makes Tucson Survivor ‘Want To Vomit’

A year after the Tucson shootings that left six dead and 13 injured, one of the survivors has strong feelings about the incident and congresswoman and her astronaut husband Mark Kelly.

That feeling is best described as nausea.

“Every time I see them on TV,” George Morris, 77, told the Arizona Republic, “it makes me want to vomit.”

Morris, a self-described “ultra-conservative,” initially went to Giffords’ town hall meeting outside the grocery store in Tucson on Jan. 8, 2011, to complain to his congresswoman, who he says kept voting for liberal causes.

Green eyed Lady on January 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

There’s a petition out demanding she apologize. Like that’ll happen…

jdawg on January 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

residentblue on January 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Of course you being struck dumb in mortal terror at the mere prescense of such instant life endingness foreverest stuff…. yet, not one documented case of a weapon being used at a single event,.. not one..

The 400 plus violent crimes at the occupy scum gatherings,.. those you aren’t bothered by even a tiny bit, are you?

Because, leftists being leftists,… why pass up a chance to bully and intimidate when you get one huh?

They didn’t shoot the guy now did they?

It’s a filthy smear and you know it, you just won’t admit it, because it blows up the whole leftwing meme of crazy gun toting Tea Partiers.. shows it to be the lie we all know it is.

How many Death to Bush protesters in the last decade were swooped down on and whisked off to a nice warm Cell? Any idea? Close to none?… thought so,..

the left can lie and you are either an enabler, or you just like the lie.. If you were envolved with the Tea Party you’d know they worked damned hard to push out any potential crazies, to freeze them out, and expose them as not being representitive of the Tea Party.. When, did the occupy nutjobs, scumbags, and Marxist thugs ever exclude anyone for potential towards violence?

Name one occasion…

just one..

The right has to police itself, with “friends” like you, they get blamed for everything, up to and including the weather. I’m sick of this, a broad grass roots movement, the first truly homespun family oriented one,..

and Pelosi called them all nazi’s,..

the left painted them all as stupid racists, or crazy potential serial killers.. the president, well he loved that meme too much to let go either..

It’s a dammed lie,

Tuscan was the act of a crazed part time leftwinger, full time lunatic, and you join in on the “well,.. it’s all their fault” line as if it were handed to you on a script.

Why are you so happy to smear millions of fellow Americans? You hate their politics so much, you’d let a lie stand, rather than accept, there is no earthly way to blame them for it.

mark81150 on January 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Fiscal responsibility is not a concept that the dems want to
think about. I think it’s fear of their feed trough running low.
It’s eaiser to demonize the people presenting the reality
They don’t want to face

MrMoe on January 11, 2012 at 10:04 PM

This cow has an ugly soul.

Mallard T. Drake on January 11, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Hate monger! Does she actually do anything besides show her ignorance about everything? After Obama kicks her kind to the gutter, she’ll come running to the TEA party for protection. (I might spare her a single bullet.)

There aren’t many people I consider a complete waste, but she fits.

It is amusing to watch the political and entertainment elites pander to the fool in charge, little realizing that he is playing them for the greater fools that they are. (Don’t get me wrong, I think Obama is little more than a dim bulb, but he comes across as a mental giant when dealing with the politicians and other entertainers.)

xmanvietnam on January 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM

The left sh*t all over eerything they touch,.. my president I was informed, was not THEIRS,.. but strangely, right after the 08 election, I was told in no uncertain terms, he was MY president too, wether I liked it or not, and I was unAmerican, if I didn’t shut up and salute.

So then they were unAmerican douchbags when they spit on Bush?

They vaporlock at that point,..

You aren’t allowed to apply equal standards to them, it’s racist or something… I can’t watch these self described progressives anymore without feeling rage, at all they have done to damage this country. I don’t hate, but they come awefully close to taking me there. It’s the utter unfairness, and complete hypocrisy of their actions these last ten years…

How do they stll sleep at night, carrying the burden of all their filth with them like that?

mark81150 on January 11, 2012 at 10:15 PM

A crazy person shot Giffords. ->

Thus crazy people are behind shooting Giffords

Debbie Wasserman Schultz is a crazy person ->

Debbie Wasserman Schultz ilk is behind shooting Giffords ->

DWS ilk is a bunch of Democrats ->

Democrats are behind the shooting of Giffords
***********************************************

If you use nonsequitors as sequitors, you can conclude or “prove” anything.

KW64 on January 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I had to come back to this thread, as I just saw DWS on Greta.
OMG! If you can get past the mouth and the hair without looking away…CHECK OUT THE EARS!…She’s JugEars sister alright!
I knew there was something up there!

KOOLAID2 on January 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM

mark81150 on January 11, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I couldn’t agree more.

MrMoe on January 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Alan Dershowitz himself couldn’t get this psychotic little hag through a competency hearing.

Lil Debby is living proof that it ain’t illegal to be crazy. (I wish she’d just stick to making delicious, cheap snack treats. …Oh, wait…wrong Little Debby)

a5minmajor on January 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM

ahhh my Representative. Couldn’t get rid of her in the 2010 ‘wave’. Maybe can point out her dual responsibilities and a negative. I wouldn’t classify this area as able to get beyond the memes or loyalties.

John Kettlewell on January 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I really don’t want to watch and listen to her… or Pelosi for that matter. Can it be translated into pig latin?

Jurisprudence on January 12, 2012 at 12:35 AM

It’s pathetic that some people (DWS) can’t determine correctly where the blame lies when that finger needs to be pointed right back in their direction.

I go with this:

She’s just an “effin’” liar, period.
Tim Zank on January 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM

mr_west on January 12, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Let’s not forget to take note that the Gabby Giffords incident happened on DWS’s watch. There’s the connection she’s grasping for.

islestar on January 12, 2012 at 1:32 AM

The Tea Party put the thunder in my thighs…

drowningpuppies on January 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Ummm…what planet is this broad living on?

Definitely on my “Top Harridans That I would Love to See Drown in Quicksand, so That I Could Stand to the Side and Snicker”

Piglosi, DWS, Finestein, Boxer, Waters, McKinney, Sheila Lee what’s-her-face and Maddow are just a few of the lovely harridans on that list. They must be aliens. They cannot possibly be human.

Beam me up Scotty.

sage0925 on January 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Geez yer givin nasty, ugly-minded wretches a bad name IMHO

Katfish on January 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Hags are indignant.

Eren on January 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Sk@nks, gargoyles, and psychos are probably displeased with this thread as well.

S. D. on January 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Harridans however, (I had to look it up) were apparently already ticked off.

S. D. on January 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

He Chose Poorly: Becoming Debbie Wasserman Schultz

Ala Pundit on January 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Palin was right, blood libel.

scotash on January 12, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Like Momma used to say, “I’d like to snatch her bald.”
And in her case, bald would be an improvement.

Still miss you Momma.

sablegsd on January 12, 2012 at 4:16 AM

Like Momma used to say, “I’d like to snatch her bald.”
And in her case, bald would be an improvement.

Say what you will, but the bottom line is you have to admire a woman that can grow pubic hair on her head…

BigSven on January 12, 2012 at 4:21 AM

I bet that “princess” Debbie Downer can feel a pea under a pile of matresses too.

That woman is an embarrassment to women everywhere.
(like ‘Dog the Bounty Hunter’ is to men)

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 12, 2012 at 7:21 AM

BigSven on January 12, 2012

Ahhhahahahaha …
I’m glad I didn’t have a mouth full of coffee when I read that.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 12, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Yeah all those TPM people who have taken over public parks, defecate on police cars, allow rapes and drug use to fester in their encampments, push octagenerians down stairs, sleep with the rats, etc…… oh that is the OWS crowd. If anything in the last year can be called uncivil, it is the OWS crowd and their tactics.

DWS is a complete partisan whore. That is her job as DNC chair. That she is intellectually dishonest comes from the fact that she is a socialist Democrat. That she thinks anyone believes her statements makes her an idiot. Even my Dem friends cringe when DWS makes these stupid statements.

Happy Nomad on January 12, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Debbie Wasserfatass Schlitzed is responsible for retardation, obesity and ugliness.

(roll eyes)

Keep talkin’ Deb!

insidiator on January 12, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Wait. What I saw was a bunch of caterwauling by the Dems because people spoke their minds–and sometimes loudly–at these “townhall meetings”. Now, reflect on movies you’ve seen, wasn’t there somebody yelling (and often the “good guy”) at every townhall meeting in every movie that has them?

Axeman on January 12, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Debbie Medusa Hair Schultz is an insult to all Jews. Thanks Debbie for being a real schumck

charmingtail on January 12, 2012 at 8:36 AM

If you are sick and tired of this stupid woman, STOP COMPLAINING AND DO SOMETHING TO HELP GET HER OUT OF CONGRESS.

keithofboston on January 12, 2012 at 8:38 AM

keep talking Debbie…. you will make sure Obama never gets the Jew vote back….

charmingtail on January 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I don’t think she really said black. It just SOUNDED like she said black. Oh wait, wrong thread. Or…wait…whose words are we allowed to twist again?

sob0728 on January 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM

She makes me miss Howard Dean.

the_souse on January 12, 2012 at 8:50 AM

DWS: Dim Wit Shmuck

JayVee on January 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Harbingeing on January 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Of course they are, they have a jackass as their political symbol which looks a lot like DWS. Coincidence?

Cherokee on January 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Let’s see…. How many soldiers died in Vietnam under Kennedy and Johnson’s astute leadership?

jb34461 on January 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Cluebat to Debbie:

AZ Shooter is Leftist-terrorist Bill Ayers disciple

Jared Lee Loughner, the suspected gunman in Saturday’s Arizona shooting, attended a high school that is part of a network in which teachers are trained and provided resources by a liberal group founded by Weatherman terrorist Bill Ayers and funded by President Obama

I eagerly await Debbie’s strong denunciation of Obama’s “conduct” in this matter.

Own the Zeitgeist killer, Debbie. He’s all yours.

Terp Mole on January 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Lil’ Debbie wants to focus on the “discourse in Congress” rather than the Leftist shooters discipleship with Obama mentor, Bill Ayers.

Maybe she should start with condemning President Obama, the Extremist-in-Chief.

** Obama: “They Bring a Knife…We Bring a Gun”
** Obama to His Followers: “Get in Their Faces!”
** Obama on ACORN Mobs: “I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!”
** Obama to His Mercenary Army: “Hit Back Twice As Hard”
** Obama on the private sector: “We talk to these folks… so I know whose ass to kick.“
** Obama to voters: Republican victory would mean “hand to hand combat”
** Obama to lib supporters: “It’s time to Fight for it.”
** Obama to Latino supporters: “Punish your enemies.”
** Obama to democrats: “I’m itching for a fight.”

If Leftists really want to consider the lack of civility, they should start at the White House.

Terp Mole on January 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I think that this woman is certifiably insane. No sane person would ever say some of the things she says.

duff65 on January 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

This describes the Obama administration perfectly.

Cherokee on January 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Welcome to South Fla. the land of fruits and nuts.
You can guess which one the Washerwoman is. It takes a special kind a person to talk through her nose while getting her hair done with a Waring blender.Destructive, delusional, dumbned down Debbie is a true whackjob. We have been stuck with her down here for all too many years.
Hopefully some warm blooded conservative can take her out in the next election and make many of our days.

rodguy911 on January 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Cherokee on January 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Not to mention that the entire system is on championed and narrated by those least likely to have academic success outside of journalism and Telecom degrees.

Axeman on January 12, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Lil Debbie actually makes Howard Dean look possibly sane. What is it with these DNC Chairs? Is being a certifiable loon a prerequisite for beng selected?

volsense on January 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM

What a sick-o, vile bitch this woman is!

Samantha on January 13, 2012 at 9:46 AM