Video: Santorum team oddly stoked about their prospects tonight

posted at 6:40 pm on January 10, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Keep this in mind while looking at the results tonight. Rick Santorum’s state co-chairs Bill Cahill and Dan Tamburello aren’t trying to sell the idea that their candidate will shock the world with a win in the Granite State tonight. They concede that Romney will win, although they argue that the margin of victory will be critical. “A good showing for Romney is above 40%,” Tamburello told me. “If he falls below 30%, he’s on life support.”  As for their own candidate, the two say that a finish in the money would be a very big deal for Santorum, especially in momentum heading into South Carolina.  “A third place finish would be fabulous,” Cahill says when I ask him about expectations for tonight.  And it’s not entirely out of the question; the Rasmussen poll showed a margin-of-error virtual tie for second place among four candidates, including Santorum, and the Suffolk poll showed him in fourth.

So will tonight be a celebration for Santorum in the show or even place position in this horse race?  I don’t know … but I think I’ll hang out at their party tonight to find outt.

Comments

Limp Handshake Republicans tonight will begin the drumbeat!!

“It’s time to unite behind the obvious nominee Mitt Romney” in 5…..4…..3….

PappyD61 on January 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM

WE`RE NUMBER 3! WE`RE NUMBER 3! WE`RE NUMBER 3! WE`RE NUMBER 3!

ThePrez on January 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM

The more I learn about Santy- the less I like him.
Religiously-motivated statists aren’t my gig.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Sarah should tell him it’s time to pack it in.

Harbingeing on January 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Does Rick insist that his flunkies were ugly sweater vests, too?

BettyRuth on January 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM

*wear*

BettyRuth on January 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Thus spake The Bedroom & Intarwebs Regulatory Committee for the Advancement of Rick Sanctimonium.

M240H on January 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM

A vote for Santorum is a vote to ban all contraception nationwide!

Thanks to Santy, the GOP was made to look like a bunch a numbskulls by having the contraception issue brought up. What a moron!

Firecracker729 on January 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Religiously-motivated statists aren’t my gig.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I’m with you, but I do like his capitalist positions. Having met him, for a candidate, he comes across with humility.

beatcanvas on January 10, 2012 at 6:53 PM

M240H on January 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM

You need to save that and use it again!

BettyRuth on January 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM

… Having met him, for a candidate, he comes across with humility.

beatcanvas on January 10, 2012 at 6:53 PM

He has much to be humble about.

M240H on January 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Pretty Cool Ed! Good on you!

txmomof6 on January 10, 2012 at 6:58 PM

The best of what’s left.

SMACKRUNNER on January 10, 2012 at 6:58 PM

@ BettyRuth on January 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Steal it. Use it. Elaborate on it.

e.g. His subcommittee Bedroom Investigators To Contain Homosexuality, or B.I.T.C.H. for short.

M240H on January 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Religiously-motivated statists aren’t my gig.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM

beatcanvas on January 10, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I’m sure he’s a nice guy.
Still-Statism from the left=statism
Statism from the right=statism.
I’ll pass.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Religiously-motivated statists aren’t my gig.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM

beatcanvas on January 10, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Well I live in Texas and right to work is a big deal down here.

workingclass artist on January 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM

My internals say Santorum is doing very well in NH. Romney will be at 32%.

Deep Timber on January 10, 2012 at 7:11 PM

So you are going to Party tonight Ed? Cool.

What else was it you said? :)

JusDreamin on January 10, 2012 at 7:11 PM

When you’ve been polling in the low single digits for a year and suddenly the evangelical-fringe decides that they hate everyone else … you get weirdly optimistic about everything.

Jaibones on January 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Well I live in Texas and right to work is a big deal down here.

workingclass artist on January 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Right-to-work is one of the reasons why we’re in Texas NOW.
We both despise unions.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Well I live in Texas and right to work is a big deal down here.

workingclass artist on January 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Well I live in Georgia and being told I have no heart because I don’t think I should have to pay for ILLEGALS’ college tuition is a big deal down here.

The point is that none of these candidates are ‘perfect’ and none never will be.

Branch Rickey on January 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM

The WSJ today lambastes Santorum for his tax proposals: http://tinyurl.com/6u96dx4
Of many serious criticisms, 1 is his tripling of the child tax credit, which they call ‘social policy masquerading as tax policy,’ and say won’t impact investment & savings. This will also tend to benefit groups that have larger families (of course, but this effect is noteworthy). We may not, also, want to incentivize overpopulation, in some sense.

anotherJoe on January 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM

These morons are pathetic. They are claiming that the winner of the first 2 races will be on ‘life support’ if he doesn’t beat their candidate by however much they decide he should beat them. What a bunch of fools.

Chudi on January 10, 2012 at 7:25 PM

My internals say Santorum is doing very well in NH. Romney will be at 32%.

Deep Timber on January 10, 2012 at 7:11 PM

ROFL…Pathetic.

Chudi on January 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Ed in the headline, says Santy’s people are ‘stoked’
Upon reading what his people had to say…you folks who are in sales…feel… like you have been ‘stroked’ ?

KOOLAID2 on January 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM

It’s looking more and more like Ron Paul is going to be the conservative alternative to Romney. So if you want big government and a Obama victory than Romney is your man.

Capitalist75 on January 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Wow! Rough crowd!
Also, a lot of interest.
Midnite…and we are topping 2600 posts/
Santy probably was one who approached Tim Tibow for a little momentum…because he is going to need ‘something’ in the next few week.
Regarding Rick Perry…I don’t understand how a couple of flubs….just clubbed… Perry so much!

KOOLAID2 on January 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Capitalist75 on January 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

What do they pay people like this?

KOOLAID2 on January 11, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I love Rick Perry

greataunty on January 11, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Romney outperformed in NH and Huntsman was rewarded for his full-time status there. I got Santorum’s polling wrong and am not sure why he didn’t reach 3rd place in the Granite State…best guess is that liberals and Obama 08 voters came out in larger droves than expected. I would love to see the breakdown by voter affiliation for Romney, Paul and Huntsman vs. overall turnout–which was lower than expected also.

This is not a 2-person race like I thought going into NH between Romney and Santorum…but you have to keep Newt’s name in the mix with his SC poll numbers. Perry and Huntsman are out as of now. Paul survives to live another day—but won’t be in the GOP mix 3 weeks from now.

Deep Timber on January 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM