Open thread: New Hampshire; Update: Electability key in exit polls; Update: Fox News calls it for Romney at 8 p.m. sharp, predicts Paul will finish second; Update: Huntsman says he’s staying in the race

posted at 6:05 pm on January 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

Most of the polls close at 7 p.m. ET but a handful across the state will close at 8, so sit tight for returns. Three questions tonight. One, obviously: Will Romney underperform? There’s no shortage of benchmarks to choose from. The spin from the rest of the field will be that anything less than 40 percent is failure. The spin from the media will probably be that anything less than 37 percent, which is what McCain took when he won the state four years ago, is lackluster. The further he dips below that and the closer he gets to his 2008 take of 32 percent, the more we’ll hear tomorrow about Romney having struggled to grow his base since the last time he ran.

Two: Which candidate who won’t end up being nominated will claim second place? Paul and Huntsman have been neck and neck in the last few polls, but unlike JH’s campaign, Paul’s actually has a big-picture strategy. He’s going to soldier on, pile up delegates, and try to be a force at the convention. Huntsman’s strategy is more of an “underpants gnome” deal:

Step one: Second place in New Hampshire
Step two: ??????
Step three: Nominee!

As Jazz noted earlier, in the crucial state of South Carolina, this guy’s polling behind … Stephen Colbert. The best chance he had against Romney was to somehow maneuver him into a two-man race (or three-man race, including Paul) and then let the Not Romney crowd reluctantly carry him to victory. Too late for that now, so the back-up plan, I take it, is to do surprisingly well tonight at Romney’s expense and then let his donors and media sweethearts go to work for him in SC. (According to BuzzFeed, Huntsman’s mega-wealthy father also could probably be convinced to keep the campaign going if JH finishes above, say, 13 percent.) There is, I suppose, some slim chance of a close five-way race there between Romney, Huntsman, Paul, Gingrich, and Santorum in which the winner finishes in the low 20s, but for that to happen, Huntsman needs a strong showing in NH to convince tepid moderate Romney fans down south to peel off and back him instead. Likely to happen? Er, no.

Three: Did Gingrich’s last-ditch attacks on Romney’s Bain career do anything to change the polling at the eleventh hour? Mitt was up four points in today’s final Suffolk poll, leading one of his top advisors to crow that the strategy had backfired. Could be, but if Romney ends up doing worse than expected, Democratic hopes will soar at the thought that their class-warfare strategy in November might be a winner even on the right. Can’t wait for the exit polling.

Below you’ll find the trusty Hot Air/Townhall Twitter widget for livetweeting. I’ll be updating this post, needless to say, and Jazz will be talking live about the primary on the RINO Hour of Power at 8 p.m. You can follow the returns at Townhall or via the nifty Google NH results map. While we wait, have a look at this mind-boggling graphic at Politico summarizing the astounding amateurishness of the field this year. It was Philip Klein, I think, who said Romney’s likely to be the nominee simply because he’s the only one who showed up to this job interview wearing a suit. That graphic is some of the best evidence of that theory that you’ll ever see. Also, read Dan McLaughlin’s incisive post at Red State about the real peril to conservatism in nominating Romney:

The other point I would make about integrity is that it goes close to the core of why a Romney nomination worries me so much: because we would all have to make so many compromises to defend him that at the end of the day we may not even recognize ourselves. Romney has, in a career in public office of just four years (plus about 8 years’ worth of campaigning), changed his position on just about every major issue you can think of, and his signature accomplishment in office was to be wrong on the largest policy issue of this campaign… There were spots of solid ground on which to plant ourselves with McCain, and he had a history of digging himself in on those and fighting for things he believed in. But Mitt Romney’s record is just one endless sheet of thin ice as far as the eye can see – there’s no way to have any kind of confidence that we can tell people he stands for something today without being made fools of tomorrow. We who have laughed along with Jim Geraghty’s prescient point that every Obama promise comes with an expiration date will be the ones laughed at, and worse yet we will know the critics are right. Every time I try to talk myself into thinking we can live with him, I run into this problem. It’s one that particularly bedeviled Republicans during the Nixon years – many partisan Republicans loved Nixon because he made the right enemies and fought them without cease or mercy, but the man’s actual policies compromised so many of our principles that the party was crippled in the process even before Watergate. We can stand for Romney, but we’ll find soon enough that that’s all we stand for.

As McLaughlin himself pointed out on Twitter today, we’re already seeing this happen.

Stand by for updates. Exit question: Is Rick Perry really not going to qualify for CNN’s South Carolina debate?

Update: An early trickle of exit poll data points to a good night for Romney: “The early exit polls show 44 percent of the New Hampshire electorate so far is independent. The biggest winner among them? Mitt Romney with 30 percent. Ron Paul is second, Jon Huntsman is third.”

Update: A really good night for Romney, maybe. From the Times’s Brian Stelter: “Network execs privately say they expect to be able to call NH for Romney at 8pm sharp. The race for 2nd will take longer.”

Update: Suddenly, 40 percent doesn’t sound so unlikely.

“About a third of voters are saying they’re most interested in electability – the candidate who has the best chance to defeat Obama,” ABC News’ Gary Langer, of Langer Research Associates writes. “Just over a quarter are looking for the most experienced candidate and about a quarter say they care most about strong moral character. Far fewer – about one in seven voters – say they’re looking mainly for a true conservative, a contrast from last week when a quarter of Iowa caucus-goers said so.

Romney also leads the field when voters were asked whether they’d be satisfied with a given candidate as nominee.

Update: According to the exit polls, fully 46 percent said they made their minds up today or in the last few days. If they Bain attacks worked — or backfired — we should some evidence of it in the final numbers.

Update: It’s 8 p.m. and only 10 percent of precincts have reported, but the Foxies have seen enough: They’ve called it for Romney. Interestingly, as I write this, Paul is only a little more than 10 points behind Mitt (35.5% to 25%). If it held up, that’d be a bit closer than everyone expected. One other interesting exit-poll data point from Fox: Romney won a plurality of late deciders with 29%. Huntsman was second at 22%. I guess Bain didn’t hurt him so badly after all. Yet.

Old tea-party goal: Stop Romney from winning the nomination. New tea-party goal: Stop Romney from winning all 50 primaries. Heart-ache.

Update: Fox has also called second place for Paul promptly at 8. Is that the end for Huntsman, then? Finish a distant second to Romney is one thing but what’s his rationale for continuing when he can’t pull enough independents even to top Paul?

The official exit poll results via Political Wire: “Romney 36%, Paul 23%, Huntsman 18%, Santorum 10%, Gingrich 10% and Perry 1%.”

Update: As grassroots righties mourn the Romney victory, BuzzFeed wonders: Why can’t conservatives get their act together in primaries?

“Conservatism in 1980 knew what it stood for,” said Craig Shirley, a movement veteran and Reagan biographer whose firm is working with Newt Gingrich’s presidential campaign. The movement is going through a bit of an identity crisis. This is the residue of 8 years of George Bush.”…

Others blame the candidates, not the movement.

“A dominant conservative candidate has not been able to emerge in recent years. There have been a series of flops,” said Jeffrey Bell, a movement veteran who is policy director at the American Principles Project in Washington. “And this year we didn’t have soup-to-nuts, fully funded presidential candidate. All of them lacked money except for Perry, and Perry wasn’t ready to run for president.”

Update: Huntsman tells NBC he won’t quit. Of course, Bachmann said that on caucus night too only to change her mind the next day. Good news if true, though, for Romney-haters: He’ll peel a few moderate votes away from Mitt in South Carolina, albeit not as many as he would have if he had finished a strong second tonight.

Update: The exit-poll coup de grace: “Romney wins among those who say they’re strong supporters of the tea parties.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 13 14 15

I looked over some of it, I’ll look again. It’s hard to get a feel for what is happening with the deletes but it must have been something.

Cindy Munford on January 11, 2012 at 12:01 AM

It was one of the most disgusting threads I’ve seen in my 3 yrs of reading HA. Those that Ed banned were Ron Paul supporters.

Flora Duh on January 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Now that’s some classy international humor.

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I heard it from a Telephone Pole.

Igor R. on January 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Where in Slovakia? I have ancestors/relatives from just across the border in Moravia and Austria.

steebo77 on January 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Was born right inside Bratislava. Lived in a concrete communist built building. My parents finally got my grandmom’s home back in Nitra and rebuilt it from the ground up, they living there now.

Morovia is becoming wine country which is good news since the Soviets destroyed the soil.

JPeterman on January 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

My biggest mistakes have been misunderstanding people and reading their comments totally opposite of what they were intended to convey. That’s embarrassing.

Cindy Munford on January 11, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Is there anyone here, that would not apply to?

I have misunderstood other posters, and have been misunderstood myself.
I can be a good actor, and I’ve had my “acting” sometimes construed as “genuine.”
That’s embarassing.

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Electability HUH?

Come to think of it, there’s a guy down at the Toyota Dealership that talks a great deal, been in the business for 25 years and looks like Mitt. We need to get him on the campaign trail.

What’s the calculation for jobs produced with that one? One car sold = 50 jobs?

mr_west on January 11, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Now that’s some classy international humor.

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I heard it from a Telephone Pole.

Igor R. on January 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Looks like you’re on a roll! : )

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Flora Duh on January 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM

That was the thread about the off duty police officer being killed. It was the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen.

JPeterman on January 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Looks like you’re on a roll! : )

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Actually I am on a bun, after some years in Germany they call me “the Hamburger”.

Igor R. on January 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM

JPeterman on January 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Destroyed the soil, how?

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Igor R. on January 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Looks like I REALLY started something here. : )

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM

It was the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen.

JPeterman on January 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Thankfully Ed acted quickly to put an end to it.

Flora Duh on January 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM

JPeterman on January 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I don’t have many good thoughts about the ATF, and Ed was trying to mourn the dead; someone killed on the line. I avoided the thread. Most people were respectful, but the usual “people” showed up and went to town, that much is clear — when I read it later.

Axe on January 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Flora Duh on January 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Poor Rep. Paul, you know he wouldn’t want to be associated with such behavior. Oh! There is a opossum on the deck! There’s a face only a mother could love.

Cindy Munford on January 11, 2012 at 12:23 AM

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

LOL! That’s why you want to use / or jk because no matter how obvious you think you are and that people know you, someone won’t and they will be offended.

Cindy Munford on January 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Looks like I REALLY started something here. : )

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Oh you didn’t know? January is the Central European Pun Month.

Igor R. on January 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Cindy Munford on January 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I have only within the last week or so, begun to do that on some.

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Destroyed the soil, how?

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Running factories at full tilt and letting chemical runoff go everywhere was one of the reasons. Using the land for ammo dumps, target practice blah, blah, blah was the biggest factor. You can google it and read all about it. It has taken a long time, work and coin to get it back.

It is the reason we had so little food.

JPeterman on January 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Igor R. on January 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I did not know that.

I’m not even sure whether to believe it or not!

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I did not know that.

I’m not even sure whether to believe it or not!

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM

You can trust me like you would trust Newt and Bill Clinton stuck on a desert island with a bunch of female interns.

Igor R. on January 11, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Destroyed the soil, how?

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM

It is the reason we had so little food.

JPeterman on January 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM

*Axe, bleary eyed and mostly asleep, even after telling Cindy Mumford goodnight, jotted notes as quickly as he could, his best selling novel — The Peterman Supremacy — clearly in view*

Axe on January 11, 2012 at 12:34 AM

JPeterman on January 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM

That’ll definitely do it. : (

Hope it can be recovered.

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Igor R. on January 11, 2012 at 12:32 AM

But I wouldn’t trust Newt or Bill Clinton on a desert island with a bunch of . . . . . . . . . ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, now I get it! : )

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

“I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. I have since the time when my Mom took that position when she ran in 1970 as a U.S. Senate candidate. I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years that we should sustain and support it, and I sustain and support that law and the right of a woman to make that choice.”
-Mitt Romney in a 1994 Senatorial debate

“I respect and will fully protect a woman’s right to choose. That choice is a deeply personal one, and the women of our state should make it based on their beliefs, not mine and not the government’s.”
-Mitt Romney in a 2002 GOP acceptance speech

KirknBurker on January 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Yes sadly the Central European Pun month is as real as Newt’s conservatism.

Igor R. on January 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

JPeterman on January 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Unreal. I zoned out watching your Peterman videos. :)

Night. Night everyone.

Axe on January 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Just so I have this right… NH is concerned about electability? The same NH that went for Obama? Iowa too?

OhhhhKayyyyyyy….

We are screwed.

rightConcept on January 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I think this bodes well for our country.

scotash on January 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Yes, but he is now. So let’s look at him, and dump Santorum (the George W Bush style big government “conservative”) and Gingrich (who’s now flamed out twice).

Greg Q on January 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM

So, with 96% in, every candidate among the top 4 is getting fewer votes than the two candidates below him, combined. (Romney might be able to beat that, no one else will.)

Amusing

Greg Q on January 11, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Winning both Iowa and New Hampshire says one thing: Let’s get on with it. We’re not going to spend all our time beating each other up. Eyes on the prize. He’s not our dream candidate. But, he is our candidate.

On to Obama.

Pablo Snooze on January 11, 2012 at 1:35 AM

And I am threatened with “banning,” apparently a fate worse than Hell Lubbock.

Horace on January 10, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Fixed it for you.

steebo77 on January 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Excellent Post. I Agree. Keep Posting. +100 (:

Frobenius on January 11, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Well, a 2012 election between Obama and Obamney will be the first election in my lifetime I honestly don’t give a damn who wins.

DRayRaven on January 11, 2012 at 5:19 AM

DRayRaven on January 11, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Well, then, sit home and pout.

And btw, his name is not Obamney, it is Romney and here of late he has been sounding a lot more like a Republican than the people he has been running against.

I don’t care what the echo chamber of the blogs say, or what the loud mouths on talk radio say..Romney is the best qualified person in this race and he does not deserve the hate he has been getting..especially coming from people who can not come up with anyone any better. They just complain and whine and moan.

Terrye on January 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Terrye on January 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Don’t let the naysayers bother you. Keep remembering they are statistically insignificant.

Bradky on January 11, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Newt Gingrich… has made Mitt Romney more acceptable to conservatives and republicans…

Chudi on January 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM

From your keyboard to Mitt’s ears. It’s up to him now to turn this into a winning argument about socialism versus economic freedom.

petefrt on January 11, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Terrye on January 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM

True words. I wish Romney would try to govern a little more to the right, but I’ll vote for anyone that is not Obama,

rightoption on January 11, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Blech! I can’t think of 3 more unpalatable candidates than the 3 stooges in the top tier in NH. How pathetic that the superior candidates are being discounted because they’re not well-funded or “electable”?! And who decided who was electable: the independents and democrats allowed to vote in republican primaries like NH? I feel like I’m witnessing a farce here and the republican nomination is going to the highest bidder – and is Paul even a republican?! I’m sorry but I can’t stomach Romney and I may have issues with Gingrich and Perry but they’re far superior to this corporatist in capitalist clothing. I’m still for Santorum – a well-rounded, attractive, electable package who is being outspent by the rich, fat-cat republican establishment and who knows who else? I love how this is being promoted as a “sweep” when it’s being reported that turnout was lower than 2008 and it seems Romney only got the same number as last time. And Iowa is still not certified because of the miscounts and he may actually have lost to Rick Santorum.

mozalf on January 11, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Here we go again. Last time it was McCain. This time it’s Romney. Granted, a RINO is better than a Marxist, but I’m wondering if the people of this country will ever have the sense to elect another conservative again. Unfortunately, we’re going to have to wait eight years for a possible Rubio or Ryan run which pretty much means we’re screwed for another eight years.

We the people are a clueless lot.

cajunpatriot on January 11, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Well, then, sit home and pout.

Terrye on January 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Nope, I won’t pout. I’ll vote third party.
My vote probably won’t matter much, but PA is a swing state, and I’ll vote that way even if it looks like Obamney and Obama are close.

As for Obamney sounding more like a Republican lately, he’s good at that. When he ran for Senate and Governor, he sounded a lot more like a liberal Democrat.

Terrye on January 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Obamney’s mediocre record as governor of MA and his questionable history at Bain don’t even hold a candle to Huntsman’s record as governor of Utah, let alone Perry’s record as governor of Texas. And insisting he’s the “most qualified candidate” won’t make it true anymore than closing your eyes and insisting the sky is a brilliant shade of fuchia.

DRayRaven on January 11, 2012 at 8:25 AM

We the people are a clueless lot.
cajunpatriot on January 11, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Well said! We put up a weak republican candidate against Bill Clinton (both times imho) and that didn’t work too well. And here we are again repeating history with another weak candidate. We’ve never tried a solid conservative since President Reagan that I can recall so I’m not sure what we’re waiting for again. I’m just not sure I can hold my nose this time. It might actually take a rude awakening and shake up at the RNC but God help us if we have to wait until 2016. Talk about a wasted opportunity. sigh…

mozalf on January 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Has anyone else noticed that the HA comments have radically changed since the site was opened to new user’s? HA comments are now very much pro-Romney. Really?

It has become obvious to me that the Obama machine, including the nothing-better-to-do OWS’ers, have taken over the HA comments.

Clearly, the Obama machine WANTS to face Romney.

Carnac on January 11, 2012 at 8:41 AM

mozalf on January 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I’d say it’s time to abandon the GOP and send it the way of the Whigs if I didn’t think the new party would become infected with the same kind of corrupt establishment types who push candidates like Romney on the rest of us.

Reagan was lightning in a bottle. If we were ever going to recapture it, 2012 was the year. But it looks like the GOP pissed it away. The US will continue its slow slide into oblivion because it’s too “risky” to fix our problems – and by that, I mean it’s too risky for career politicians and the voters they dupe into supporting them.

Sorry about the mixed metaphors.

DRayRaven on January 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Geez, this is so damn depressing. Same helpless feeling as when McCain got shoved down our throats. I thought I was disgusted with the Republican Party THEN. Even if he wins (and I have my doubts) no matter what he says I just do not believe Romney will kill ObamaCare the way it needs to be- utterly destroyed. I hope to God I am wrong.

kg598301 on January 11, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Get the picture?

Romney’s coalition in 2012 was substantially more conservative and Republican than McCain’s was in 2008.

Romney is now the running away favorite to win the GOP nomination, and not just because of momentum. The following was the most startling set of numbers from the exit poll in New Hampshire:

mountainaires on January 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM

IF . . . it’s any consolation to some of you; BHO was an ‘unknown’ on the national level, last election. I believe a combination of that, plus “white guilt” is what got him as many votes from the ‘independents’ as he did four years ago.

This election cycle, BHO no longer has the luxury of anonymity.

If Mitt gets the nomination, then he has a HUGE advantage that John McCain did not have, last round.

My primary vote is NOT going to Mitt Romney, but if he wins the nomination then I WILL VOTE FOR HIM NEXT NOVEMBER.

To all you Mitt supporters: feel free to GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, all you want (within constraints of the BAN HAMMER).
I promise not to be offended by it.

listens2glenn on January 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

kg598301 on January 11, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Unfortunately, you’re not wrong. He has already made noises about keeping the parts of it that “work.”

And anyone who believes Romney has the cajones to take the slings and arrows of the MSM/Dem outrage he would face in going for a full repeal hasn’t watched him flip and flop on every issue under the Sun in the past.

DRayRaven on January 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Wow I am baffled by this. Sorry people. My state is an embarrassment. Anyone saying Romney is conservative is ignorant of the facts, willfully or otherwise.

If he is our nominee we will lose.

dogsoldier on January 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM

University of Wikipedia, there’s your coursework for tonight.
Good Solid B-Plus on January 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Hey, thanks! Wiki U is not a bad place to learn:)

That being said, Mass had/has the “right” to set up a h.c insurance mandate and it does not violate the Mass constitution. If (hopefully!) the Supremes overturn the federal ObamaCare mandate it will have no impact on Mass law (except perhaps in the court of public opinion).

Buy Danish on January 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

DRayRaven on January 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

After all we went through in 2008, what is it about “Romney is the most electable because he’s a moderate.” that these pro-Romney people do not get?!!!

Hoping for a miracle in SC.

kg598301 on January 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM

-Mitt Romney in a 1994 Senatorial debate
-Mitt Romney in a 2002 GOP acceptance speech
KirknBurker on January 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I can see my State of Texas turning blue in the general with Romney as the nominee. Texas is very diverse and full of independents, many of whom claim Christianity as a basis. Plus huge Hispanic population, Romney’s anti-illegal message won’t play well here with a majority of this critical voting bloc. I’m sure Romney would begin going back to the center in his messaging, turn his shoulder to the conservatives. It’s what he does best. Chameleon.

Also, upthread whoever said that not-Romney numbers are statistically insignificant, they aren’t if they coalesce into one, Romney would be shut down. If Tea Party comes out with their endorsement of someone other than Romney, game over.

sunshinek67 on January 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Furthermore, the issue disturbing to me about Romney-Bain is the he received Government tax funded bail out money while others lost their pensions and livelihoods. That is an ugly aspect of capitalism that is legal but immoral. Bad optics.

sunshinek67 on January 11, 2012 at 10:01 AM

In a year of high unemployment numbers & OWS era, explain to me how this guy is the most electable, when the ABR vote has beat him now in two states.

sunshinek67 on January 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM

kg598301 on January 11, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I agree. The best we can hope for is for the Supreme Court to strike it down as unconstitutional.

Even then, I’m not too hopeful, but at least if that’s going to happen, it won’t take a new President.

UltimateBob on January 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM

sunshinek67 on January 11, 2012 at 10:01 AM

This is why I say again, for all those that are in such a tizzy over Newt going full tilt on Romney over this…I believe Newt is helping Romney more in the long term, than hurting him. The left is going to go all out with the corporate greed message. Romney needs to deal with this now.

lynncgb on January 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Bunsin2 on January 10, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I hear ya. Should have said “relatively free market person”. You know, like falling down the steps is good for you, relative to cancer.

petefrt on January 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Heh, the earth just opened up and swallowed some comments here. I think I know why, and I think it’s a good thing.

petefrt on January 11, 2012 at 2:09 PM

45 percent of NH voters were registered as “undeclared”. With that many non-Repulicans voting and hoping to skew the results, does anyone really think the exit polling is reliable? Really?

Carnac on January 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

As this is a proportional-delegate state, I believe Mitt now has 4 delegates towards being nominated.

Long road ahead.

stenwin77 on January 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Bingo. The fat lady may be warming up, but there’s hope.

Portia46 on January 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM

We already know that Mitt Romney will say anything to get elected. When you look at his business record, you find that Mitt Romney was willing to do whatever it took to make money.

Most Americans work hard and play by the rules.

Mitt Romney works hard at not playing by the rules.

JonBGood on January 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I was just becoming resigned—depressed but resigned. You’ve succeeded in scaring me. He’s our very own John Corsine? Sigh. We get to choose between Commie coruption or just plain greed. At least greed doesn’t arrest children who saved a baby bird.

Portia46 on January 11, 2012 at 3:17 PM

FROM: http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/01/starting-to-count-the-price-of-defending-bain/

EXCERPT:
Romney likens work at Bain Capital to Obama’s auto industry bailout:

“In the general election I’ll be pointing out that the president took the reins at General Motors and Chrysler – closed factories, closed dealerships laid off thousands and thousands of workers – he did it to try to save the business,” Romney said Wednesday on CBS.

President Obama has publicly touted his plan to “retool and restructure” the auto companies as “an investment in American workers.” Romney was strongly opposed to the auto bailouts, but on Wednesday likened the president’s strategy to his own.

“We also had the occasion to do things that are tough to try and save a business,” he said.

So in order to defend his record at Bain, Romney is forced to defend the government takeover of GM and Chrysler and the process by which the companies were downsized.

Let me preview Obama’s argument in defense of how he “rescued” the auto industry: “Why, Mitt said just the other day that what we did with GM and Chrysler was no different than what he did at Bain. But it was different. Mitt got rich off of it, I didn’t.”

Czar of Defenestration on January 11, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Last!!!!!!!!

Hahahaha!

cabbie25 on January 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM

cabbie25 on January 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Again sorry to ruin your fun.

Bmore on January 12, 2012 at 8:27 PM