Good news: Tebowmania now inspiring 80s pop stars to re-record their hits

posted at 7:15 pm on January 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

A curio via TimTeblog to cleanse the palate before tonight’s results start rolling in. I’m using the term “pop star” here loosely but the song is famous enough that you’ll recognize it instantly. And yes, that’s really Parr on vocals. Quote: “I was inspired by Tim Tebow so I wanted to modify the lyrics…in his honor of the way that he lives his life as being a great example.” They’re going to play this in Indianapolis next month after TT scrambles 31.6 yards on the final play to beat the Packers by a point. Electric.

Speaking of 80s pop, I’ve tacked on the dismal new single from a reunited Van Halen. Semi-reunited, actually: Roth is back but Eddie Van Halen’s adult son is now in on bass instead of Michael Anthony, just in case you needed a physical reminder of how old this group really is. Note the line at around 3:12 about standing up for unions, too. If there’s one thing I want from a Van Halen reunion, it’s politics.

Exit quotation: “The quarterback recently told The Associated Press he’s been asked by more than one of the contenders for his support. He wouldn’t name names, but did say he’d declined the offer.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Nice to see someone finally wrote a tribute song for Herve Villachaize.

clearbluesky on January 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Yep! That video was made by & with the Chicago Bears months before they won the ’85 Super Bowl! So bad, it’s great

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 10, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Ha ha ha! Thanks for the link. And yes, it was so bad it was good!

TigerPaw on January 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Van Halen’s single is the first off the FIRST new ALBUM for the GREATEST BAND IN HISTORY since 1984. Yes, I’ve been waiting 27 years for this.

Roth and Roll!

wildcat72 on January 11, 2012 at 12:15 AM

TigerPaw on January 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM

:D

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 11, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Pullleeez! The Tebow-worship continues unabated in its inner sanctum in Bristol, CT. Dimwits at the ESPiN network (no, not the lame Chris “Bore”man this time) just claimed that Tebow’s OT pass Sunday will go down as one of those “you’ll remember where you were when you saw it” sports moments. Oh, really?!

I remember where I was on New Year’s Eve 1967 when Bart Starr qb-sneaked the winning TD with seconds left to give the Packers the win over Dallas for the NFL championship in the famous Ice Bowl game on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field. I also have many sports memories that pre-date that one and I can assure you, there are TD passes (and interceptions) which caused my team to lose that I’ll remember where I was when I saw them way more than Tebow’s.

It’s amazing these days how one can have so little accomplishment and yet achieve such notoriety. Kinda reminds me of this unknown politician who came out of my state a few years ago, with very little governing experience and no significant accomplishments but, oh yeah, these days he lives in a big white house on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC. Yeah, I’ll want to remember Tebow just as much as Olwhatshisname.

stukinIL4now on January 11, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Btw my all time favorite HA thread was the one not too long ago where Miracles by Jeff airplane was tops. Which one was it?

I’m pretty sure miracles was Jefferson Starship, man!

Pasalubong on January 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Yes, “Miracles’ was Jefferson Starship. And a very good piece of tunesmithing, performance and production.

The thread was actually about “Starship”. And that abomination “We Built this City”.

soundingboard on January 11, 2012 at 1:46 AM

And that would definitely be “We Built This City” by Starship (san Jefferson)! The video will make ya poke yer eye out, too.

Pasalubong on January 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM

This is why I should refrain from commenting until I’ve read all the comments. :/

soundingboard on January 11, 2012 at 1:51 AM

If this catches on, I presume we’ll soon see remakes of more 80′s songs such as Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ On a Prayer”, Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing”, and the Gap Band’s “You Dropped a Bomb on Me.”

The 80′s re-recording phenomenon ends promptly at, “Oh Timmy, you’re so fine, you’re so fine you blow my mind, hey Timmy, hey Timmy.”

MrKleenexMuscles on January 11, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Foo Fighters did a song about Obama. It’s called Pretender

WordsMatter on January 11, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Heh.

I love Tebow and think he’s brought more life to the sport of football than has been seen in a long time.

You get players spiking footballs and hooting hollering in the end zone and it’s okay. Get a fellow get down and thank his Lord, the monkeys go nuts.

If I asked for a better scenario to expose their nastiness I couldn’t make it up.

patfish on January 11, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Gary Cherone wasn’t the reason the last Van Halen album sucked so bad.

Just sayin’

It’s not getting any better. Face it. Since Eddie went nuts, he just can not write a riff, anymore. The worst of Chickenfoot is better than this drek. The worst of David Lee Roth’s solo albums are better than this drek. Tattoo Tattoo…ug

MNHawk on January 11, 2012 at 8:00 AM

It’s strange. Crap on a police car and your a hero. Thank GOD for skills he’s given you and your a flake.

BruceB on January 11, 2012 at 9:59 AM

He’s a “polarizing” figure, doncha see?
All that Bravo Sierra about “tolerance” is a one-way street.
Now, if he only emulated Bill ‘Bojangles’ Robinson every time his team scored, he’d be celebrated.
Saay … Don’t many African-Americans point to the heavens when they score?
Wassup wit dat?