Ed Morrissey interviews Buddy Roemer in New Hampshire

posted at 4:15 pm on January 10, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

As part of his blitzkrieg tour of New Hampshire in the closing hours before the votes began being cast, our own Ed Morrissey sat down with oft overlooked GOP presidential candidate Buddy Roemer to catch up on the state of his efforts to capture the nomination. Buddy hasn’t been in a single debate yet, but he is still beating Rick Perry in the Granite state according to the last polls from over the weekend.

A few highlights:

Will Buddy be going to South Carolina? No. As it turns out, they charge more than $30K just to get on the ballot, and while Buddy has more than that amount in his campaign war chest (raised entirely through donations of $100 or less) he wasn’t going to spend that much just for one state.

Where to next for Buddy, then? He’ll be going to Michigan and Arizona.

What will he be talking about? His jobs program. He has an emphasis on “fair trade” and feels that we’re getting the short end of the stick on trade with China and many other countries. He’ll also be talking about immigration in Arizona, reducing the yearly immigration cap to 250,000 per year, the same as in pre-Clinton times.

There’s plenty more, so enjoy the entire interview. It runs about eleven minutes.

EDIT: (Jazz) As has long been well known here, I can’t tell the difference between North and South Carolina, but it’s fixed.

Comments

Why didn’t anyone tell me Orville Redenbacher was running?

makattak on January 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Why no Huntsman interview, Ed?

Aizen on January 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Which is greater?
The number of NH voters who mistake Buddy Roemer for Tom Coburn
The number of NH voters who mistake Rick Perry for a conservative

Tune in tonight for the answer

Ala Pundit on January 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM

What’s in North Carolina?

Red Cloud on January 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I got a recording from him last night. He sounds like an angry, angry man.

crazy_legs on January 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Why didn’t anyone tell me Orville Redenbacher was running?

makattak on January 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Lol.

“I would like to be in the debates, because I need the audience… I’ve never had a fundraiser in this campaign.”

… sounds like a real winner…

Lawdawg86 on January 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM

You know, I don’t agree with his protectionism and know very little about the rest of his positions.

But I’m on with Roementum!!

Buddy Roemer 2012 “Why not? Everyone else got a turn as the frontrunner!”

makattak on January 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM

How come the only acceptable candidates Roemer and maybe Huntsman aren’t given the time of the day by the GOP?

Boy are you guys making it easy for Barry to win in 2012. As i have said numerous times, i voted for Barry, I am extremely dissapointed in him but will unfortunately hold my nose and vote for him again in November.

Uppereastside on January 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Jazz seems to confuse North and South Carolina every chance he gets

jdbbb on January 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Buddy Roemer is Donald Trump without the billions of dollars.

Next.

Aizen on January 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

jdbbb on January 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Well, if that’s a problem, here’s a friendly reminder: North Carolina is shaped kind of like Virginia, while South Carolina is te smallest state outside of the Northeast. Remember that.

The Nerve on January 10, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Why no Huntsman interview, Ed?

Aizen on January 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Huntsman is still down on his knees, till the polls close…Ed has a head cold… still!!…If he has to lean down to talk to Jon Jon…everything, drains down on Huntsman’s head.
Ed is very polite, and does not want to change the chemical make-up
of Huntsman’s hair tonic. Ok?

KOOLAID2 on January 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Buddy Roemer is the only TRUE conservative in the race. Everyone knows that.

abobo on January 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM

WTF? Parody?

therightwinger on January 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Ed if you put on a tin foil hat you might land the most coveted interview of the night.

D-fusit on January 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Buddy Roemer is good guy. He was a very good Govenor and knew how to create jobs and bring big business to the state (La). Honest and moral.

LexGreen on January 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

So Ed, did you ask Buddy what happened to LUS last night?

Del Dolemonte on January 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

D-fusit on January 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Ron Paul can interview himself.

The Nerve on January 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

The Dems bestest bud this year

Turdherder on January 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM

So Ed, did you ask Buddy what happened to LUS last night?

Del Dolemonte on January 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

They’re stuck here in NOLA because someone painted a 50 yard line across the interstate and they can’t get across it to get back to Baton Rouge.

Laura Curtis on January 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM

LexGreen on January 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Second look at a brokered convention!

I keed. Buddy’s a good guy and all that, but he’s not even up for a Not-Mitt boom. I will say I’d enjoy it heartily if he became the candidate, if for no other reason that the Dems would FREAK. All that oppo research on Romney gone to waste!

Laura Curtis on January 10, 2012 at 6:04 PM

LexGreen on January 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

True.

But he was terrible with the good-ole Legislature. He can’t do Chicago style.

I wish … ah, forget it.

Axe on January 10, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Who?

Decoski on January 10, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I followed him on twitter for about two days. Couldn’t stand it longer than that. His big issue is campaign finance reform, and he takes further than even McCain. Between not understanding first amendment protections and his near constant dumping on American business, he’s insufferable.

almosthandsome on January 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Buddy appeared at the Bayshore Tea Party group in New Jersey about a month ago. He faced a very skeptical audience and some hard questions. I don’t think he’s what we need in a President–I could be wrong–but I’d love to see him back in the Senate. I could also see him as Secretary of Commerce.

There are some photos of his appearance here.

njcommuter on January 11, 2012 at 1:49 AM