Audio: Limbaugh hits Gingrich for Bain attacks

posted at 3:40 pm on January 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

A snippet from a sustained critique. This came earlier in today’s show but, according to Guy Benson, Rush was still laying into Newt at around 2:15 for sounding like Elizabeth Warren.

Are we sure Newt’s the worst offender, though? From ABC:

“Allowing these companies to come in and loot the, loot people’s jobs, loot their pensions, loot their ability to take care of their families and I will suggest they’re just vultures,” Perry said during a townhall at a retirement community here. “They’re vultures that sitting out there on the tree limb waiting for the company to get sick and then they swoop in, they eat the carcass. They leave with that and they leave the skeleton.”…

“I don’t think they want someone who has killed jobs in South Carolina on the altar of making more money for themselves and their company,” Perry said of Romney. “His other remark is elect me president because I’ve been in the private sector and I’ve created jobs. Well that’s we’re starting to see maybe not a honest assessment of what he did. He was also involved in the destruction of a lot of jobs in South Carolina.”

Lefty Greg Sargent, stunned to hear this sort of rhetoric pouring forth from America’s “jobs governor,” vents his amazement:

As Steve Benen notes, this is all a sign of how much the debate over free enterprise has shifted: “For all the talk about this being a center-right nation, there’s a realization that Americans are uncomfortable with excessive greed and the kind of ruthless, screw-the-workers style of capitalism Romney used to get rich.”

I’d go even further. This general election will turn heavily on a battle over the two candidates’ visions of capitalism and the proper role of government in regulating it. Yet the leading GOP candidates are on record arguing that Romney’s practice of it — which he regularly cites as proof of his ability to create jobs, as a generally constructive force and even as synonymous with the American way — is not really capitalism at all, but a destructive, profit-driven perversion of it. Thanks to them, this is no longer a left-wing argument. As the GOP candidates have themselves confirmed, this argument reflects concerns about Wall Street excess and lack of accountability that are thoroughly mainstream, and you’ll be seeing plenty of footage of these Republicans making it in battleground states this fall.

Indeed you will. But wait: Couldn’t the same be said of Romney’s early attacks on Perry for criticizing Social Security? That also played into the left’s hands by giving them bipartisan cover on a major ideological flash point. And that wasn’t a case of Romney attacking a marginal candidate either; had Perry been smoother at the debates he could have been the nominee and Mitt surely knew it when he dropped that entitlement bomb on him. Like I said yesterday, I think part of the reason Newt and Perry are getting grief now is because they waited so long to toss this grenade. If you’re going to do it, do it early before the field is settled. Doing it now, when Romney’s odds of winning the nomination have become nearly prohibitive, smacks of vindictiveness and desperation. (I didn’t hear Rush’s show this afternoon but Benson claims he made the same point.) The other difference is that entitlement reform has faded a bit as an issue over the past six months. It’s still vital and will remain vital, but after the Ryan budget passed, it looked like it might be the Democrats’ main weapon in trying to distract voters this year from unemployment and the economy. That seems less likely now: After the OWS hype and Obama’s embrace of gimmicks like the “Buffett rule” and the millionaire surtax, a crude class-warfare campaign against the predatory “one percent” seems more likely. (Ryan’s stepped away from his budget too and joined forces with Ron Wyden.) Newt and Perry are playing directly into that, as Sargent notes. Hence the anguish from some on the right.

For a thoughtful argument on why attacks on Romney’s Bain tenure should be fair game, read Jonathan Last at the Standard. The chief problem with the Newt/Perry attacks isn’t that they object to the practice of acquiring a troubled company with an eye to liquidating it — although we can, and will, have that “creative destruction” debate in cases where it happens — but that the demagoguery about “looting” implies that that’s all private equity firms do. Not so, as Last acknowledges. Sometimes they provide venture capital to grow a fledgling company, sometimes they take over with an eye to turning a struggling company around. To ignore that for some halfwit “vultures” talking point is to endorse the left’s caricature of financiers as Gekko-esque bloodsuckers. Didn’t think we’d have to worry about that in a Republican primary. Click the image to watch.

Update: Ron Paul to the rescue?

“I think they’re wrong. I think they’re totally misunderstanding the way the market works,” Paul told me. “They are either just demogoging or they don’t have the vaguest idea how the market works.”…

” I think they’re way overboard on saying that he wants to fire people, he doesn’t care, Paul said. “You save companies, you save jobs when you reorganize companies that are going to go bankrupt. And they don’t understand that.”

Compare and contrast: Team Gingrich’s rhetoric on “predatory” companies with that of … Britain’s Labour Party.

Update: Ramesh Ponnuru sarcastically echoes Rush’s point about who Gingrich sounds like.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What Newt and Perry have done is heartbreaking to me.

JPeterman on January 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Well I guess so if you are a Mitt supporter.

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

It’s time Anita realized she isn’t gonna be first lady and let LaRaza Rick throw in the towel. His support is razor thin outside of Texas.

bw222 on January 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Try decaf…and have the doctor change your medication.

kingsjester on January 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Shhh, it won’t matter.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Well I guess so if you are a Mitt supporter.

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Don’t call a cardiologist/psychiatrist. It’s just Romney puppy-love.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM

What Newt and Perry have done is heartbreaking to me.
JPeterman on January 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM

You’ll get over it.

tommyboy on January 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM

At least you aren’t claiming it’s conservative rhetoric.

aryeung on January 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

It is southern conservative & it’s populist.

Anti-DC, Anti-Union,Anti-Wall St. Bailouts,Pro Small Business & Jesus & Religious rights & Family,Military & American Peach Pie & GUNS!

sorry it offends the more staid intellectuals but the rodeo is different down here and this is a state by state battle in the style of a democrat race for delegates.

Welcome ya’ll to the south.

workingclass artist on January 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Well, if it’s any consolation, his type usually wind up on the wrong end of the Ban Hammer.

By the way, has anyone seen csdeven lately?

kingsjester on January 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

OT: Open question to all HA commenters:

I can barely keep up with reading the posts and comments, never mind commenting myself. By the time I’ve finished reading a thread and decide to weigh in, the thread’s pretty much dead.

How do you all do it??

Just Sayin on January 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I pick and choose which ones to read, I don’t always read all of them, and then again I pick which ones I care most about or are most entertaining (to me) to post to. I usually do a quick scan to see if what I want to say has already been said. Give a kudos if it has, if not, I post and then stick with that story for a while.

If I’ve been away for a while, I just start on the most recent post and then scan the headlines and older posts a little later, picking and choosing…

Fallon on January 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Donald Trump is the ultimate capitalist and really does fire people for fun. Why don’t we nominate “The Donald” instead?

mike_NC9 on January 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM

At this point he smells refreshing, and that is saying a lot!

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM

+ 1000..Thank you!..I am glad you posted this..You can give way better examples of what freedom and capitalism mean than most of us..:)

PS..I am dissappointed in Perry and Newt also..:)

Dire Straits on January 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Really Dire? Get a hold of yourself.

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM

By the way, has anyone seen csdeven lately?

kingsjester on January 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Been wondering where he is. So much ‘fun’, so little csdeven.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Really Dire? Get a hold of yourself.

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM

+ million, and great comment, and nice to see you :)

Sorry, Dire, YOU so deserve this. Beer :)

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM

By the way, has anyone seen csdeven lately?

kingsjester on January 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Sssshhh. You don’t really want to do you?

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM

The left will portray Mitt as the ultimate wall street greedster regardless of the true meaning of capitalism. Not only will Romney lose, but the left’s meme of Republicans only caring about evil rich corporate types will be continued and damaging in the Senate races. Romney seems to be against securing the border too. We had better hold our noses and vote for Newt.

mike_NC9 on January 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM

+ million, and great comment, and nice to see you :)

Sorry, Dire, YOU so deserve this. Beer :)

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Heh.

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM

vince and tommyboy, just a hearty “hello” to you.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Nope. He’s been MIA since Saturday morning. He can stay there.

kingsjester on January 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Rush Limbaugh vs. Todd Palin WRT Newt. Nice.

Either way, Newt is marginalized and hurt with all this going into SC, where he had the potential to do very well there. After Huntsman and Paul have their big day in NH this will boil down to Romney vs. Santorum going forward for the nomination–with Romney obviously the heavy favorite.

Deep Timber on January 10, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I used to so look forward to his articles here. I wish HA could have kept him. I’m just glad he’s still around to read. He does alright on those Rusty interviews and he will get better. I hope nothing but good things for him. He’s a good spokesperson for our side. Whether in print or broadcast. I’m not sure if he has done any tv, you?

Bmore on January 10, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I like Rush, but he’s way off base on this one. ALL of Romney’s record should be out in the open for the voters to scrutinize. It’s long overdue.

IndeCon on January 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Where was the scrutiny 4 years ago?? Where was the scrutiny leading up to this point after endless dog and pony shows otherwise known as media debates??

Don’t get me wrong, I agree that Romney’s record needs to be in play (the same for all candidates) and I’m not planning to vote for Romney unless it is him vs. Zero. It just seems odd that now as actual votes are being cast that this has become an issue. The other candidates knew that Romney was the lead dog for months.

Sadly I guess it is that old adage… that Desperation is a stinky cologne.

Salted Meats on January 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Newt knows that populism = people ignorant of economics. He is just doing a scorched earth campaign against Romney.

pedestrian on January 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

The posters here reveal Americans are still motivated by envy and jealousy. Newt said he was running as a populist. That isn’t conservative and never will be. No intellectual framework there reached rationally, but rather a platform to satisfy the emotional needs of people.

Rush ended Newt’s campaign today.

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Bmore on January 10, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Agree in full. Don’t know about TV but good things are in his future, fully deserved, as you say.

Bryan Preston is also a good one.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Back atcha!

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I’m disgusted that Romney and his supporters are equating Bain Capital with capitalism. Bain Capital is an a venture capital firm, an investment firm, a financier. Capitalism is our total freaking economic system. If you don’t work for a finance company, maybe you are a doctor, lawyer etc, you can still be a capitalist as long as you are believe in the free market and competition. Capitalism is economic freedom.

monalisa on January 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

OT: Open question to all HA commenters:

How do you all do it??

Just Sayin on January 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Its a full time job, one warning, the pay sucks.

Bmore on January 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

PS..I am dissappointed in Perry and Newt also..:)

Dire Straits on January 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I could write a book. Sharing a bedroom with your 4 brothers and sisters? Good times! Sharing a bathroom with 4 other families? More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

JPeterman on January 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

pedestrian on January 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

…who deserves it fully, as he started it, the perfumed boy.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

kingsjester on January 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I like your blog. What have I done to get banned? And why would I be compared to that cdseven nut? Do you have some gripe about Malkin too?

Frobenius on January 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Well I guess so if you are a Mitt supporter.

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Not a Mitt supporter, not even close.

JPeterman on January 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM

JPeterman on January 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

We know. So could Romney. The world is full of misery. Before you get carried away with that violin, as bad as you had it, look here.

Welcome to the USA. Fight that she remains free. Yer Romney is not her best torch-bearer.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

NO he won’t. He said last night that he’ll suppor the nominee. You can have him and Romney but objective is objective.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM

With friends like Newt……………

FlaMurph on January 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Newt should focus on uplifting Newt.
Like unmuddle his muddled message. Bring good character to the fore. Newt is the reason Newt is sinking. If Newt thinks he can win by knocking down Mitt, he’s mistaken.

anotherJoe on January 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Frobenius on January 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Nope. The Boss is the Boss. I’m also friends with ALT…and I can smell b.s. a mile away.

kingsjester on January 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Deep Timber on January 10, 2012 at 5:04 PM

He’s been attacked in Iowa, SC and Florida by Mitt’s Superpac so, yeah I guess he’s been marginalized but it’s not over until the vote in SC and maybe Florida. This is the first attack Mitt has had to weather and we’ll see how he does going forward.

I’d love to see a tougher Romney if he wins the nomination.

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Not a Mitt supporter, not even close.

JPeterman on January 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Good! You just grew gigantically. To be sure, I fight with you, not against you. I eat commies for b-fast.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

pedestrian on January 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

…who deserves it fully, as he started it, the perfumed boy.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I suppose he never should have aired Newt’s dirty pantaloons. Let me use your line of reasoning:

Mitt was only using those ads to vaccinate Newt against Obama should Newt win the nomination. See how easy it is?

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Well I guess so if you are a Mitt supporter.

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Not a Mitt supporter, not even close.

JPeterman on January 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Well who do you recommend then ??? I’m curious.

FlaMurph on January 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

With friends like Newt……………Romney

FlaMurph on January 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

You’re as easy as liberal4life.

You can have Newt and Romney, btw.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Of course it’s easy. We have no one to fight for us, nor anyone to fight for. It’s a really scroomy field, alas…the real devil is still the one in the WH.

Still, Romney is not as clean as he sells himself. No one ever assumed that Newt was/is.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Well I guess so if you are a Mitt supporter.

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Not a Mitt supporter, not even close.

JPeterman on January 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM

That’s why I said if. Who do you support and why?

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Always enjoyed Bryan also, last I heard…… I’ll have to look that up. Can’t seem to remember where he went after here. That was when Allah came on here if memory serves.

Bmore on January 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Newt should focus on uplifting Newt.

anotherJoe on January 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

…and yet Mitt should what? attack everyone in sight because it’s his turn?

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Bmore on January 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM

He hangs out here, and did work for the Rs in Texas.

No, he was here in parallel with AP, never in his stead. He went to work for the Laura Ingraham show from HA. The ‘political’ intricacies of leaving were kept as quiet as Obama’s grades, but that’s their business.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Where will the Perry supporters go now? I suspect to Romney.

Deep Timber on January 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

…and yet Mitt should what? attack everyone in sight because it’s his turn?

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 5:18 PM

The Romney folks are about as logical and nasty as the Obamabots.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

And no one should “like” firing anyone.

alwaysfiredup

Then you’ve never run a business. I’ve had employees that I’ve loved firing. Usually for theft, but there have been other reasons.

BettyRuth on January 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Where will the Perry supporters go now? I suspect to Romney.

Deep Timber on January 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Oil and vinegar

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM

It is not about who is clean, that is between them and their doctor. Why is it OK to attack a Republican candidate from the left in a primary? That makes no sense.

For other candidates to do so shows their superficial understanding of conservatism and private property.

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Bmore on January 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Looks like Bryan is over at PJ I’ll have to get over there sometime and give him a tumble. That place kinda ticked me off with their whole pile on Cain routine. Because its Bryan, I’m in a forgiving mood.

Bmore on January 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM

That’s right its coming back to me now. Dag gone you have a good memory. The older I get the worse mine is getting.

Bmore on January 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM

We’re not talking about soap ‘n water “clean”.

You’d answer your own question if you’d ask it about Romney the same as about the others.

Ronald Reagan cries and would never approve of what Romney started. Look in the mirror. It’ll help you, a lot.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Bmore on January 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM

No worries, most of mine has left me too.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM

That’s why I said if. Who do you support and why?

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I was supporting Perry. At this point I have no idea and am praying for a brokered convention.

JPeterman on January 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM

JPeterman on January 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM

A brokered convention may be the only way to unite the party behind one nominee.

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Hard to feel sorry for Romney since he is the worst offender. I feel he set the stage for this kind of rhetoric ever since Perry joined the race. I’ts gotten to the point where I can’t watch the debates as there is so little substance and too much of this nonsense

steel guy on January 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM

That’s why I find it impossible to feel any sympathy for Romney over this. For one thing, I can’t stand him, and I won’t vote for him if he’s the nominee. For another, he channelled Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi to go after Perry on Social Security, thus legitimizing Democrat attacks on Social Security reform…which is vitally important.

So to hell with Romney.

DRayRaven on January 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Gee, maybe Rush should wait ’til tomorrow and watch the PAC film before deciding if Newt (and Perry) is wrong on this. I think the film will have compelling evidence. Nothing illegal, mind you, but things that will makes Americans’ stomachs churn. Like preying on companies and looting them. Like legally stealing employees’ hard- earned pensions.

Here are two clips of the 30 minute film, it says it was made by one of Romney’s former aides:

Aslans Girl on January 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM

There are a lot more parallels between Reagan and Romney than you care to admit. Reagan’s own abortion law was admittedly the worst thing he did in CA. He grew from that, maybe transformed by it.

I ask you, when does a person stop growing and learning?

Mittens is on that path.

FlaMurph on January 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM

kingsjester on January 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

So criticizing someone who has a history of bashing conservatives unfairly and for the most inane of reasons entitles me to be full of BS, that I am in need of decaf, that I am in need of meds and that I will be banned, all because that person is your cyber buddy?

Good to know (:

To heck with the truth I guess. You will sit there and not say a word in defense of conservatism because of some anonymous “friendship”.

You blog writing is far more objective than this so I am surprised.

Frobenius on January 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I haven’t read the comments yet, but has anyone mentioned that Limbaugh also hinted that Mitt and his Mittbots’ longstanding penchant for the scorched-earth oppo reasearch mentality helped bring it on? Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

ddrintn on January 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM

…and yet Mitt should what? attack everyone in sight because it’s his turn?

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 5:18 PM

The Romney folks are about as logical and nasty as the Obamabots.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Finally we have something we agree on. Scratch a Mittbot, find a lib.

ddrintn on January 10, 2012 at 5:45 PM

ddrintn on January 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Schaudelin et al, just because Romney went in punching hard doesn’t mean the supposedly conservative alternatives should attack him from the left. Also, scorched earth doesn’t equate to leftist talking points.

Did they all truly think they wouldn’t have to fight for the nomination? For Gingrich I think it’s the whole “I am the Walrus” then losing badly in Iowa. That was a slap in the face. If it were earlier times he would have challenged Romney to a duel. Or if he were a kamikaze he would have committed seppuku. He has done the later.

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

If anyone has Hannity on now – this is why I can’t stand him. He is defending Newt WAAAAAAY too much. His allegiances are always transparent.

God help us if Mittens is the nominee. I can’t believe Newt is forcing me to defend Mittens, but it is now painfully evident that Newt is nothing but a right-wing technocrat/social engineer. Perry looks like a bumbling idiot – and Santorum is just too much of a wild card for most of our liking.

CycloneCDB on January 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Attacking Bain is not attacking capitalism.

This had to be used because NOTHING else is working against Romney. Not Romneycare, not his support of global warming, not his thousand flip-flops. If Mittster is to be stopped, this had to be used.

Newt and Perry have done us a favor. They are going to finally show the ONE thing people think Mitt has — “electibilty” — is a MYTH. Obama will hit Mitt with Bain just like Teddy Kennedy before him, and in this rotten economy It. Will. Work.

Newt and Perry also screwed up Obama’s plan as well as pissed off the MSM. You see, Bain wasn’t supposed to be brought up in the primaries. Obama and the MSM were relying on the Republicans to NOT attack Mitt on Bain, because Republicans are usually too stupid to do such a thing. Bain was supposed to be a SECRET until AFTER Mitt secured the nomination, and THEN the Left was going to spring it on him. Newt and Perry messed up their playbook, thank God!

Oh, and we’re not “attacking”, we’re “vetting” and “toughening up” our candidates.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Frobenius on January 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM

An honest-for-real Conservative would not write the way you do. I have never seen any Conservative on this blog make a joke about Obama’s skin color the way you did earlier.

kingsjester on January 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Aslans Girl on January 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I also heard Newt say that if the add wasn’t factual, he would have problems with it. And Canopfor had a link that the FBI is investigating Bain. I guess we’ll have to wait and see how it shakes out, especially now that Virginia is reconsidering letting Newt and Perry on the ballot now!

AZgranny on January 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Spiders, lots of spiders.

aryeung on January 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM

*grin*

I’m pretty sure some people comment but never read the post.

Night Owl on January 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Hmm… that explains a lot! :-)

Just Sayin on January 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

OT: Open question to all HA commenters:

How do you all do it??

Just Sayin on January 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Just Sayin:Over time,you’ll get used to it:)

canopfor on January 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

A response from one of my favorite posters. Cool!

Just Sayin on January 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Newt and his lapdog Perry have made me take the uncomfortable position of defending Romney. Something I never wanted to do. Perry was just starting to appeal to me again, and now this? Guess who didn’t criticize Mitt: Paul and Santorum.

They are also the highest polling candidates out there. I wonder why?

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM

ddrintn on January 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM

They are as selective as the liberals.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

That boat is tired and busted. OK, next time someone digs into Perry’s past and starts ripping him for only creating jobs fit for Wal-Mart greeters, will you call that vetting, or the politics of personal destruction?

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

OT: Open question to all HA commenters:

How do you all do it??

Just Sayin on January 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Its a full time job, one warning, the pay sucks.

Bmore on January 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Lol! It absolutely does feel like a full time job.

I am very impressed with the commenters here. Mostly.

Just Sayin on January 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I’d never alter your nom, never.

————

I ask you, when does a person stop growing and learning?

Mittens is on that path.

FlaMurph on January 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Indeed, he is.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

OT: Open question to all HA commenters:

How do you all do it??

Just Sayin on January 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Fallon on January 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Thanks Fallon! Excellent advice. Appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Just Sayin on January 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM

IndeCon on January 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Sadly I guess it is that old adage… that Desperation is a stinky cologne.

Salted Meats on January 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Why didn’t they all go after Romney sooner? I’m sure they all had various reasons, but I think vying for the not-Romney slot was more relevant to them.

The attack ads from Romney and Paul in Iowa did Newt in. Oh yes, let us not forget the establishment pundits and media. They had a big part in the savaging of Gingrich, and the perpetual free pass for Romney.

Newt tried to stay with his positive message and stay away from attacking, but there comes a time to fight back. I don’t fault him one bit for what he’s doing now. Besides, it’s finally Romney’s turn to face scrutiny, just as all the front runners have.

IndeCon on January 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Why do you think I used “”? Those are Michelle Malkin’s own words when she was attacking Perry. She reveled in it then. Now, no so much. Hmmmmm.

Aslans Girl on January 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I ask you, when does a person stop growing and learning?

Mittens is on that path.

FlaMurph on January 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM

crickets herr spinmeister??

FlaMurph on January 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM

FlaMurph on January 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM

You’re nuts. RR and he said that you are definitely wanting.

I answered you but you didn’t get it.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM

RR and he said that you are definitely wanting.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

So were you quite as upset when Romney attacked Perry from the left on entitlements? Let me guess…

ddrintn on January 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Aslans Girl on January 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I found it disgusting how she was destroying him over the HPV vaccine. It is clear it ruffled her Christian feathers to the point of inanity. It is also the reason I dumped Michele Bachmann. Hearing someone with no formal education try to lecture us on viruses is quite amusing.

Still like Perry, but he should have resisted peer pressure and not gone after Bain. Plenty of other topics to beat Mitt over the head with.

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Ithink you left out one little link in your chain: the attack ads from Team Romney that hit Newt pretty hard. Now that Newt returns fire, from whatever perspective, it’s a low blow. Come on, this has been Romney’s m.o. for a long time, and he’s getting some of his own medicine.

ddrintn on January 10, 2012 at 6:03 PM

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

ddrintn on January 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Yes, I want SS and Medicare eliminated entirely. Perry, just like Cain, were attacked because they dared to upset the bananacart.

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 6:03 PM

blink on January 10, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Oh really? Do you have evidence that the attacks are “dishonest”? I’m willing to wait and weigh the evidence the movie presents. Canopfor had a link about the FBI investigating Bain?

I think there is a good possibility that there’s a “there there”.

Furthermore, not all forms of capitalism are good. Capitalism, in the wrong hands, can be abused and turn into something ugly. Which is true of anything; anything can be corrupted in the wrong hands.

Again, I’ll mention that several years ago I read an article about how Communist China was stating to use a form of capitalism. The reporter argued that because China is secular and does not have a moral foundation, like America’s Judeo-Christian principles, it was a very greedy, unscrupulous, ruthless thing in their country. The same can happen here. Afterall, businessmen are sinners like anyone else. Not all forms of capitalism are equal and even the good forms can be abused.

What Bain did was more than likely legal and within the law (although, the FBI is investigating, so that gives me pause), but it doesn’t mean it was moral and ethical and won’t look bad to voters. Voters in this economy are all too familiar with joblessness. Knowing that Bain, under Mitt, laid off thousands is simply not going to play well in this environment. A lay-off guy like Mitt is simply unelectable this cycle.

Aslans Girl on January 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

kingsjester on January 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

You have got to be kidding me. You think I am not an honest for real conservative because of my play on words that Obama is Tancrazy and not Malkin—saying that Obama has a Tan and is also crazy to deflect the claim that Malkin was called a Tancrazy conservative after Tom TANcredo because she dared challenge Perry on Gardisil?

MadCon challenged Perry too and was ripped to shreds for it.

You must have missed the Thread where I said Munford/Tebow 2012 and complimented them both after Cindy told me they share the same roots.

I said Obama is the enemy and NOT Michelle Malkin. You think I made that up? I defend Malkin and you think I am NOT an honest for real conservative?

If I wasn’t a honest conservative why would I be upset over conservatives getting torn to shreds unfairly when they criticize a candidate?

Good grief. Is that why you think I will get banned because I said Obama has a Tan. Michelle Malkin has a Tan too. Is that racists to say that? Yikes.

Why would I read your blog if I was not a for real honest conservative?

I don’t want to offend you but I am shocked.

Frobenius on January 10, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Vince on January 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM

While we agree most of time..This time we disagree..I do not like this line of attack by Newt and Perry..:)

Dire Straits on January 10, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I think you left out one little link in your chain: the attack ads from Team Romney that hit Newt pretty hard. Now that Newt returns fire, from whatever perspective, it’s a low blow. Come on, this has been Romney’s m.o. for a long time, and he’s getting some of his own medicine.

ddrintn on January 10, 2012 at 6:03 PM

No, he just didn’t need to attack from a leftist playbook. He could have raked him over the coals for being a liberal or produced a commercial showing Obama signing Obamacare. The camera would zoom in, and the twinkle in Obama’s eyes would be revealed to be Romney.

I would like US $8.6 million in advertisement consulting fees now.

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM

+ million, and great comment, and nice to see you :)

Sorry, Dire, YOU so deserve this. Beer :)

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM

LoLz..You got meet there..:)

PS..Good to see you..Beer..:)

Dire Straits on January 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

antisense on January 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM

“Peer pressure”? No, Perry saw an opening and took it. Good for him. This Bain thing is going to be the undoing of Mitt and Pery wanted in on some of the action. Perry HAS tried other tactics against Mitt: he tried on Romneycare, he tried on illegals. NOTHING worked, in fact, Perry was called a “bully” by the pundits, even though it was MITT who laid a hand on Perry, not hte other way around.

The Not-Romneys have ALL tried bringing Mitt down with Romneycare and the flip-flops; it Did. Not. Work. Mitt is on the cusp of running the table. This was the time to bring in the big guns. And not a moment to soon, either.

Thank God for Newt and Perry doing this. It is shattering Mitt’s electibilty myth right before our eyes and much to the chagrin of the LEFT.

Aslans Girl on January 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

They are also the highest polling candidates out there. I wonder why?
antisense on January 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM

This episode is especially embarrassing for Perry. Newt was trying to sucker someone into a dimwitted “non-aggression pact” and had no takers until Perry decided to be his buttboy. Newt’s not all that bright, but in Perry he found a servant who’s even less so.

whatcat on January 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Wow! After hearing that clip from Rush’s show?!

BOOM!

As a candidate for the Republican Primary? Buh bye Newt!

SauerKraut537 on January 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Bmore on January 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I think it is when Ed came, Allahpundit is original to the site.

Cindy Munford on January 10, 2012 at 6:12 PM

monalisa on January 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

You should see if OWS has any openings.

FlaMurph on January 10, 2012 at 6:12 PM

To all the folks who’ve been urging Rush to endorse a candidate, perhaps this is as good an illustration as any of why he has not.

Right Mover on January 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM

PS..Good to see you..Beer..:)

Dire Straits on January 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Cheers!

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM

JPeterman on January 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I am glad you are an American now..I know you are glad..:)

PS..Plus I am glad you are a commenter at HA>>Welcome..:)

Dire Straits on January 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Newt is pushing the true fiscal conservatives into the Romney camp where they didn’t want to go. If he knows it or not. And I am getting tired of hearing about these “forms of capitalism”. There are not “forms of capitalism”. There is capitalism and then there is socialist perversions that stick qualifiers in front of the term “capitalism” so that when the perversions fail they take the name of capitalism down with it. Such that dolts don’t know where to turn and might pick an even more socialist path thinking they had already gone the other way. If government is participating instead of merely regulating, it ain’t capitalism. Example: crony capitalism IS NOT capitalism.

MechanicalBill on January 10, 2012 at 6:15 PM